Got Beer?

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
Post Reply
User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10352
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times
Age: 54

Got Beer?

Post by Zwak » Thu Feb 22 7:32 am

The Strib had an interesting tidbit on the front page in their "Have you heard?" section.

"Bottoms up: According to the Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 10 percent of beer drinkers consume 43 percent of all beer sold. These 'core drinkers' average nearly a gallon of beer a day."

Don't get me wrong. I like a cold beer, but A GALLON A DAY?!?!?!
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
WPoS
Veteran
Posts: 4731
Joined: Fri Apr 11 5:06 pm
Location: lunatics annonymous
Contact:

Post by WPoS » Thu Feb 22 7:42 am

obviously you have never been around a good BeerDarts game...

W
Beer Darts Champion of the WORLD!

User avatar
Bert
Moderator
Posts: 8170
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:11 am
Location: COON RAPIDS
Been liked: 18 times
Age: 43
Contact:

Post by Bert » Thu Feb 22 10:30 am

WPoS wrote:obviously you have never been around a good BeerDarts game...

W


Old school beer darts was fun.

User avatar
jamwall
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4337
Joined: Sat Mar 05 10:28 pm
Location: Norwalk, CT
Age: 49

Post by jamwall » Thu Feb 22 11:55 am

i'm too busy drinking the beer, the rest is a blur. :drunk:
Co-National Champs: 1929
AAU National Champs: 1940
NCAA National Champs: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003...

User avatar
FLAGGUY
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Feb 11 1:01 am
Location: looking to find loans for all Gopher fans
Age: 42

Post by FLAGGUY » Thu Feb 22 12:08 pm

Bert wrote:
WPoS wrote:obviously you have never been around a good BeerDarts game...

W


Old school beer darts was fun.


never knew there was a different version... :D

User avatar
fishingmn
Golden
Golden
Posts: 957
Joined: Wed Feb 16 7:16 am
Location: Mound, MN
Has liked: 1 time

Post by fishingmn » Thu Feb 22 12:50 pm

That can't be right - a gallon = 10 cans of beer

I have a hard time believing that 10% of beer drinkers consume that quantity on a daily basis.

User avatar
DrunkHockeyGuy
Veteran
Posts: 4584
Joined: Sun Feb 13 10:49 am
Location: Centerville
Age: 42

Post by DrunkHockeyGuy » Thu Feb 22 12:54 pm

fishingmn wrote:That can't be right - a gallon = 10 cans of beer

I have a hard time believing that 10% of beer drinkers consume that quantity on a daily basis.


Really? I would say in college 4 out of 7 days we consumed about that much. Now days I would be lucky to consume 10 beers every other weekend at best. HAHA.

As for the other part in believing, you clearly haven't been to Wisconsin.
Apparently, I am a little bitch, oh the horror.

melmac
Golden
Golden
Posts: 978
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:54 am
Location: Over there...
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 17 times
Age: 44

Post by melmac » Thu Feb 22 12:56 pm

It may not necessarily be on a daily basis, but I know I can put down a gallon on a good "two beer" Friday at Sally's. I'm sure it all averages out. That's still a lot of beer.

Mmmm... beer...
I was told there would be no math.

Someday I'll win...
Charter member of the GPL Convoy Crew

User avatar
fishingmn
Golden
Golden
Posts: 957
Joined: Wed Feb 16 7:16 am
Location: Mound, MN
Has liked: 1 time

Post by fishingmn » Thu Feb 22 1:09 pm

DrunkHockeyGuy wrote:
fishingmn wrote:That can't be right - a gallon = 10 cans of beer

I have a hard time believing that 10% of beer drinkers consume that quantity on a daily basis.


Really? I would say in college 4 out of 7 days we consumed about that much. Now days I would be lucky to consume 10 beers every other weekend at best. HAHA.

As for the other part in believing, you clearly haven't been to Wisconsin.


Even DHG, who in college was probably in the top 1%, not 10%, didn't AVERAGE 10/day. Think about how many non-college students are beer drinkers and how hard it would be to find 10% of people who put away 3 cases/week.

User avatar
WPoS
Veteran
Posts: 4731
Joined: Fri Apr 11 5:06 pm
Location: lunatics annonymous
Contact:

Post by WPoS » Thu Feb 22 1:47 pm

I blame Wisconsin.

W
Beer Darts Champion of the WORLD!

User avatar
st15
Rookie
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Feb 19 7:17 pm
Location: University of Minnesota
Age: 30
Contact:

Post by st15 » Thu Feb 22 7:20 pm

WPoS wrote:I blame Wisconsin.

W


hahaha....thats awesome....

im with ya

h8red
Veteran
Posts: 1123
Joined: Tue Mar 22 2:19 pm
Location: on my HOG

BEER

Post by h8red » Mon Apr 09 4:25 pm

Great idea for a thread Greg Zwakman fan!

I was going to start one but I found this one archived from not-so-long ago.

I don't know if there are any other "beer snobs" out there. I hate the regular so-called beers like Bud, Miller, etc...

I know that many people love Guinness (Steak in a can), Newcastle, and some of the more common beers.

What are others that you have tried that are your favorites and give a brief description (Ale, Lager, hops, color, % alcohol).

I was pleasantly surprised last week when I had a Berghoff Dark Lager (the only bad thing about this is it's made in Wisconsin).
I'd put it right up there with my other favorites like Bell's (multiple types), Avalanche Vanilla Porter, Goose Island, & James Page. There's many more but that's a start.

:drunk:

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10352
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times
Age: 54

Re: BEER

Post by Zwak » Mon Apr 09 4:35 pm

h8red wrote:Great idea for a thread Greg Zwakman fan!

I was going to start one but I found this one archived from not-so-long ago.

I don't know if there are any other "beer snobs" out there. I hate the regular so-called beers like Bud, Miller, etc...

I know that many people love Guinness (Steak in a can), Newcastle, and some of the more common beers.

What are others that you have tried that are your favorites and give a brief description (Ale, Lager, hops, color, % alcohol).

I was pleasantly surprised last week when I had a Berghoff Dark Lager (the only bad thing about this is it's made in Wisconsin).
I'd put it right up there with my other favorites like Bell's (multiple types), Avalanche Vanilla Porter, Goose Island, & James Page. There's many more but that's a start.

:drunk:


I like my Blue Moon, Bells Oberon. I know these are pretty light weight for a beer snob, but I like them.

If you are looking for a bar with a great beer list, you may want to check out The Happy Gnome in St. Paul. It is in the former Chang O'Haras location.

Here is a link to their beer list (I don't have any connection to the place, except that I am proudly a St. Paul guy!)

http://www.thehappygnome.com/beers.aspx
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 19742
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 981 times
Been liked: 664 times
Age: 54

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Apr 09 4:40 pm

For me there are two favorite beers: Cold & free. :D

And not necessarily in that order. :dance:
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

User avatar
Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7175
Joined: Wed Oct 05 12:04 pm
Location: Eltville am Rhein
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Dances With Gophers » Mon Apr 09 4:57 pm

Is there ANY place in the area that sells Fat Tire (CO)? I heard a rumor that distributors were going to (finally) come into the TC market last November...but still no sign of the beer anywhere? :anger: :confused2: :drunk:

User avatar
hoop
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2380
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:59 am

Re: Got Beer?

Post by hoop » Mon Apr 09 5:00 pm

Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:The Strib had an interesting tidbit on the front page in their "Have you heard?" section.

"Bottoms up: According to the Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 10 percent of beer drinkers consume 43 percent of all beer sold. These 'core drinkers' average nearly a gallon of beer a day."

Don't get me wrong. I like a cold beer, but A GALLON A DAY?!?!?!



The top 5% of on income earners by 50% of taxes, tell me there is not something wrong with that equation either :censored:
"IF YOU FIND YOURSELF IN AN ELEVATOR WITH SEN. LARRY CRAIG AND TJ OSHIE, URINE TROUBLE"

User avatar
hoop
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2380
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:59 am

Re: BEER

Post by hoop » Mon Apr 09 5:02 pm

h8red wrote:Great idea for a thread Greg Zwakman fan!

I was going to start one but I found this one archived from not-so-long ago.



http://www.gopherpucklive.com/viewtopic.php?highlight=beer&t=4043
"IF YOU FIND YOURSELF IN AN ELEVATOR WITH SEN. LARRY CRAIG AND TJ OSHIE, URINE TROUBLE"

melmac
Golden
Golden
Posts: 978
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:54 am
Location: Over there...
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 17 times
Age: 44

Re: BEER

Post by melmac » Mon Apr 09 6:32 pm

Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:I like my Blue Moon, Bells Oberon. I know these are pretty light weight for a beer snob, but I like them.

If you are looking for a bar with a great beer list, you may want to check out The Happy Gnome in St. Paul. It is in the former Chang O'Haras location.

Here is a link to their beer list (I don't have any connection to the place, except that I am proudly a St. Paul guy!)

http://www.thehappygnome.com/beers.aspx


I have yet to meet a Bell's I haven't liked. The Brown Ale is outstanding.
I was told there would be no math.

Someday I'll win...
Charter member of the GPL Convoy Crew

User avatar
cavedog
Golden
Golden
Posts: 969
Joined: Fri Feb 18 5:09 pm
Location: Champlin, MN

Re: BEER

Post by cavedog » Mon Apr 09 6:55 pm

melmac wrote:
Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:I like my Blue Moon, Bells Oberon. I know these are pretty light weight for a beer snob, but I like them.

If you are looking for a bar with a great beer list, you may want to check out The Happy Gnome in St. Paul. It is in the former Chang O'Haras location.

Here is a link to their beer list (I don't have any connection to the place, except that I am proudly a St. Paul guy!)

http://www.thehappygnome.com/beers.aspx


I have yet to meet a Bell's I haven't liked. The Brown Ale is outstanding.


Bell's Two Hearted Ale is outstanding...try it if you ever have an opportunity...ipa meets blonde dopple...smooooooth

melmac
Golden
Golden
Posts: 978
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:54 am
Location: Over there...
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 17 times
Age: 44

Re: BEER

Post by melmac » Mon Apr 09 7:33 pm

cavedog wrote:
melmac wrote:
Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:I like my Blue Moon, Bells Oberon. I know these are pretty light weight for a beer snob, but I like them.

If you are looking for a bar with a great beer list, you may want to check out The Happy Gnome in St. Paul. It is in the former Chang O'Haras location.

Here is a link to their beer list (I don't have any connection to the place, except that I am proudly a St. Paul guy!)

http://www.thehappygnome.com/beers.aspx


I have yet to meet a Bell's I haven't liked. The Brown Ale is outstanding.


Bell's Two Hearted Ale is outstanding...try it if you ever have an opportunity...ipa meets blonde dopple...smooooooth

Been there, done that. :)
I was told there would be no math.

Someday I'll win...
Charter member of the GPL Convoy Crew

User avatar
Ben
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Apr 04 5:35 pm
Location: Eagan
Age: 39
Contact:

Post by Ben » Mon Apr 09 8:17 pm

10 cans a day isn't hard if you're willing to put in the effort.

My favorite is Dubble Trouble from O'Hara's in St. Cloud. It's one of their rotating beers.
"If lessons are learned in defeat, our team is getting a great education."
- Murray Warmath

StuckInMexico
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Oct 28 4:48 pm
Location: AZ

Post by StuckInMexico » Tue Apr 10 1:44 am

Dances With Gophers wrote:Is there ANY place in the area that sells Fat Tire (CO)? I heard a rumor that distributors were going to (finally) come into the TC market last November...but still no sign of the beer anywhere? :anger: :confused2: :drunk:


I get it on sundays for 75 cents a pint, and the rest of the time its only 2 bucks.

Beer related-since it was just spring break down here in AZ, there were a bunch of Miller people in the bars giving out free samples of that new Miller Chill. Don't drink this, even if it was free. It tasted worse than that time I drank a Rolling Rock that had sat behind a couch under a radiator for 5 months back in college.

dxmnkd316

Post by dxmnkd316 » Tue Apr 10 9:41 am

Sam Adams. Delicious.

Also, I was out in Illinois recently and tried one called Woodchuck. I guess it's a cider ale or something like that, but man, it was great.

melmac
Golden
Golden
Posts: 978
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:54 am
Location: Over there...
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 17 times
Age: 44

Post by melmac » Tue Apr 10 9:49 am

dxmnkd316 wrote:Sam Adams. Delicious.

Also, I was out in Illinois recently and tried one called Woodchuck. I guess it's a cider ale or something like that, but man, it was great.


Woodchuck! :)
I don't think I've had one since college. Makes me smile thinking about it.
I was told there would be no math.

Someday I'll win...
Charter member of the GPL Convoy Crew

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7869
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 499 times
Age: 33

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Apr 10 10:39 am

WPoS wrote:I blame Wisconsin.

W



Well, Matt has been doing his part lately.......

;)

User avatar
Diesel Gopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Feb 13 10:58 am
Location: in my truck either; working, or with the GPL convoy crew

Post by Diesel Gopher » Tue Apr 10 11:17 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Well, Matt has been doing his part lately.......

;)




I resemble that comment.... :drunk: :wave:

User avatar
mingust
Veteran
Posts: 866
Joined: Wed Feb 01 2:29 am
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Age: 36

Re: BEER

Post by mingust » Tue Apr 10 11:25 am

melmac wrote:I have yet to meet a Bell's I haven't liked. The Brown Ale is outstanding.


Likewise. I've got quite the Bell's collection in my basement. It almost rivals the Sprecher collection.

No, I don't work there, but for those interesed in trying many beers, I recommend Cellar's on Larpenteur. They have a "make your own 6-pack" where they take 10% off the bottle price (for 22s 16s and 12s), making each bottle the 6-pack price, but you only have to get one.

I absolutely love trying new beers, so if you know anywhere else that does something similar, please share. We might need the beer for a night and day without GPL.
Thirty-Four wrote:Dude, I've written "War and Peace" with company ink... I'm horrible.

User avatar
Viking
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3045
Joined: Fri Feb 11 3:07 pm
Location: Searching for the elusive beer tree
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 58 times
Age: 51

Re: BEER

Post by Viking » Tue Apr 10 11:38 am

mingust wrote:
melmac wrote:I have yet to meet a Bell's I haven't liked. The Brown Ale is outstanding.


Likewise. I've got quite the Bell's collection in my basement. It almost rivals the Sprecher collection.

No, I don't work there, but for those interesed in trying many beers, I recommend Cellar's on Larpenteur. They have a "make your own 6-pack" where they take 10% off the bottle price (for 22s 16s and 12s), making each bottle the 6-pack price, but you only have to get one.

I absolutely love trying new beers, so if you know anywhere else that does something similar, please share. We might need the beer for a night and day without GPL.


Blue Max in Burnsville has the same thing. And they claim to have over 1100 different beers. I've never tried to count them though! The nice part is, I can see the place from my deck!! :drunk:

Anything from Samuel Smith is a good choice.
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 16857
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 416 times
Contact:

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Apr 10 12:11 pm

One the reasons why I so miss T.Wrights is they had an oustanding beer collection. :cry:

melmac
Golden
Golden
Posts: 978
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:54 am
Location: Over there...
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 17 times
Age: 44

Re: BEER

Post by melmac » Tue Apr 10 12:14 pm

mingust wrote:
melmac wrote:I have yet to meet a Bell's I haven't liked. The Brown Ale is outstanding.


Likewise. I've got quite the Bell's collection in my basement. It almost rivals the Sprecher collection.

I'm thinking that on my next trip to Michigan, a stop in Kalamazoo may be in order.
I was told there would be no math.

Someday I'll win...
Charter member of the GPL Convoy Crew

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10352
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times
Age: 54

Another plug for St. Paul

Post by Zwak » Tue Apr 10 2:16 pm

There is a little liquor store in Highland Park on Ford Parkway and River Road called Liquor Village. I frequented it quite often when I lived nearby. For a little store they have an amazing beer selection.
GPL's official source of trivia.

StuckInMexico
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Oct 28 4:48 pm
Location: AZ

Re: Another plug for St. Paul

Post by StuckInMexico » Fri Apr 20 11:14 pm

Zwak wrote:There is a little liquor store in Highland Park on Ford Parkway and River Road called Liquor Village. I frequented it quite often when I lived nearby. For a little store they have an amazing beer selection.


The best was the place on the corner of snelling and university next to the hollywood video. Bigtop. They always have some random beer on sale for super cheap-I remember stocking up on Schell's 12 packs for like 7 bucks each one winter. Just dodge the bums panhandling outside. I swear, that guy needed money for a bus ticket to Fargo every frickin' weekend!

User avatar
a-Rap22
Veteran
Posts: 515
Joined: Sun Sep 25 7:30 pm
Age: 34

Post by a-Rap22 » Fri Apr 20 11:37 pm

Dances With Gophers wrote:Is there ANY place in the area that sells Fat Tire (CO)? I heard a rumor that distributors were going to (finally) come into the TC market last November...but still no sign of the beer anywhere? :anger: :confused2: :drunk:



I would literally kill a bagful of kittens to find a place around here where I could get my hands on some Fat Tire on a regular basis. I'm a huge fan of most ale's in a style similar to Fat Tire. I recently bought "Hazed and Infused" out of Boulder, CO. It's no Fat Tire, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. The World Market has a cool build your own six pack option. They have a decently large selection of imports and lesser known domestics if you're looking for something new to try.
If he dies, he dies.

-Captain Ivan Drago-

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Post by The Rube » Sat Apr 21 4:01 am

Leinie's Summer Shandy:

The Good:
Hot, humid summer day = refreshing

The Bad:
Way too sweet
Good for two beers only
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
gopheritall
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2096
Joined: Thu Mar 25 10:09 am
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 13 times
Age: 52

Post by gopheritall » Sat Apr 21 8:26 am

My wife wasn't surprised by the gallon a day. I can't believe that 10% of beers drinkers drink that much every day.

As far as light beers go, Sam Adams Light is a pretty good beer. I keep that on hand.

I had Spotted Cow at a friend's house last night. They "smuggled" it in from 'Sconnie.

h8red
Veteran
Posts: 1123
Joined: Tue Mar 22 2:19 pm
Location: on my HOG

Post by h8red » Sat Apr 21 8:36 am

gopheritall wrote:My wife wasn't surprised by the gallon a day. I can't believe that 10% of beers drinkers drink that much every day.

As far as light beers go, Sam Adams Light is a pretty good beer. I keep that on hand.

I had Spotted Cow at a friend's house last night. They "smuggled" it in from 'Sconnie.


Spotted Cow is very good. Now that you mention it, I think I'll crack open a Sam Adams Light for breakfast! Thanks for the idea :idea:

User avatar
hoop
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2380
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:59 am

Post by hoop » Sat Apr 21 9:40 am

h8red wrote:Spotted Cow is very good. Now that you mention it, I think I'll crack open a Sam Adams Light for breakfast! Thanks for the idea :idea:


Man #1: I'll have water, please.
Man #2: I'll have water too, but with lemon, please.
Man #3: I'll have a Sam Adams, please
Man #4: It's 9:30 in the morning!'
Man #1: And don't you have an outstanding DUI?
Man #3: Yeah, but I gotta get the taste of weed and hooker spit out of my mouth.
Man #4: [pause] I'll have a Sam Adams as well.
Sam Adams: Samuel Adams! Always a good decision!



http://samadams.ytmnd.com/


Image
"IF YOU FIND YOURSELF IN AN ELEVATOR WITH SEN. LARRY CRAIG AND TJ OSHIE, URINE TROUBLE"

h8red
Veteran
Posts: 1123
Joined: Tue Mar 22 2:19 pm
Location: on my HOG

Post by h8red » Sat Apr 21 9:56 am

Has anyone ever had "Red White and Blue?" You could see things floating in it when poured in a glass.

I had friends that went to Iowa State. We brought down a bunch of Pigs Eye beer and it soon became the rage on the campus. We took orders from people to bring some down every time we made the trip. Go figure!

User avatar
noy-zee
Golden
Golden
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Mar 10 6:00 pm
Location: Eagan, MN
Age: 39

Post by noy-zee » Sat Apr 21 10:11 am

The Rube wrote:Leinie's Summer Shandy:

The Good:
Hot, humid summer day = refreshing

The Bad:
Way too sweet
Good for two beers only


if its anything like their sunset wheat, no thank you. that stuff tasted like froot loops.
in fact, their last three beers have all been sweet and girlie. summer shandy, sunset wheat and apple spice.

BRING BACK BIG BUTT!

User avatar
Gopherguy33
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1130
Joined: Sun Feb 13 12:47 pm
Location: Sec. 21 Row 8 or Shakopee
Age: 45

Post by Gopherguy33 » Sat Apr 21 11:07 am

a-Rap22 wrote:
Dances With Gophers wrote:Is there ANY place in the area that sells Fat Tire (CO)? I heard a rumor that distributors were going to (finally) come into the TC market last November...but still no sign of the beer anywhere? :anger: :confused2: :drunk:



I would literally kill a bagful of kittens to find a place around here where I could get my hands on some Fat Tire on a regular basis. I'm a huge fan of most ale's in a style similar to Fat Tire. I recently bought "Hazed and Infused" out of Boulder, CO. It's no Fat Tire, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. The World Market has a cool build your own six pack option. They have a decently large selection of imports and lesser known domestics if you're looking for something new to try.


It's just a couple of clicks away...

http://randalls.stores.yahoo.net/rws27669.html

You can find about any beer you want on the net. It's no different than anything else.
Don't let your mind wander; it's far too small to be let out on its own.

dxmnkd316- Nico came out like someone banged his mom and was looking for revenge.

streakygopher to DHG-I don't know what's better, the original faux pas or the sham bravado veiled over a piqued ego.

Hammy-Don't underestimate the impact of removing the poison from the system.

Hammy
Veteran
Posts: 14864
Joined: Wed Apr 09 3:06 pm
Been liked: 3 times
Contact:

Post by Hammy » Sat Apr 21 11:14 am

I miss Blatz Light Cream Ale in the eight pack of smaller green bottles. :(
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Post by The Rube » Sat Apr 21 11:14 am

noy-zee wrote:
The Rube wrote:Leinie's Summer Shandy:

The Good:
Hot, humid summer day = refreshing

The Bad:
Way too sweet
Good for two beers only


if its anything like their sunset wheat, no thank you. that stuff tasted like froot loops.
in fact, their last three beers have all been sweet and girlie. summer shandy, sunset wheat and apple spice.

BRING BACK BIG BUTT!


It's a lemonade/beer hybrid sorta thing. It's weird.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Sioux/Bucky Hater
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1065
Joined: Thu Nov 02 4:14 pm
Location: God's Country

Post by Sioux/Bucky Hater » Sat Apr 21 11:26 am

The Rube wrote:
noy-zee wrote:
The Rube wrote:Leinie's Summer Shandy:

The Good:
Hot, humid summer day = refreshing

The Bad:
Way too sweet
Good for two beers only


if its anything like their sunset wheat, no thank you. that stuff tasted like froot loops.
in fact, their last three beers have all been sweet and girlie. summer shandy, sunset wheat and apple spice.

BRING BACK BIG BUTT!


It's a lemonade/beer hybrid sorta thing. It's weird.

I had my first and last bottle of this last evening.

User avatar
gopher_ears
Golden
Golden
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat Apr 19 5:01 pm
Location: Skiumah Lake

Post by gopher_ears » Sat Apr 21 1:04 pm

Hammy wrote:I miss Blatz Light Cream Ale in the eight pack of smaller green bottles. :(

Me, too. That was good stuff. I also miss Ballantine Ale, which was quite similar.

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10352
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times
Age: 54

Post by Zwak » Sat Apr 21 1:56 pm

Gopherguy33 wrote:
a-Rap22 wrote:
Dances With Gophers wrote:Is there ANY place in the area that sells Fat Tire (CO)? I heard a rumor that distributors were going to (finally) come into the TC market last November...but still no sign of the beer anywhere? :anger: :confused2: :drunk:



I would literally kill a bagful of kittens to find a place around here where I could get my hands on some Fat Tire on a regular basis. I'm a huge fan of most ale's in a style similar to Fat Tire. I recently bought "Hazed and Infused" out of Boulder, CO. It's no Fat Tire, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. The World Market has a cool build your own six pack option. They have a decently large selection of imports and lesser known domestics if you're looking for something new to try.


It's just a couple of clicks away...

http://randalls.stores.yahoo.net/rws27669.html

You can find about any beer you want on the net. It's no different than anything else.


If you look at their FAQ, they cannot ship to Minnesota.

In MN, you can only buy wine over the internet. Not beer or spirits.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Reg Dunlop
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1936
Joined: Mon Aug 25 8:16 am
Location: Charlestown, PA
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Reg Dunlop » Wed Jun 13 8:47 am

Anyone know where I can find Weihenstephan Hefe Weisse in the area?
Last edited by Reg Dunlop on Wed Jun 13 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Let 'em know you're there!"

Thirty-four: "Reg, I gotta tell you, of all the people on the board, you are one of the five I'd like to buy a beer!" :beerchug:

Frozen Four: BSU=JBSU=LOL

Larsen
Rookie
Posts: 221
Joined: Fri Feb 11 11:03 pm

Post by Larsen » Wed Jun 13 8:54 am

Any fans of the Mickeys Malt Liquor keg bottles?

Normally not a fan of malt liquor, but I do like Mickeys.

User avatar
Viking
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3045
Joined: Fri Feb 11 3:07 pm
Location: Searching for the elusive beer tree
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 58 times
Age: 51

Post by Viking » Wed Jun 13 9:04 am

Reg Dunlop wrote:Anyone know where I can find Weihenstephan Heffewisen in the area?


I don't believe it's available in Minnesota.
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

User avatar
pjoyn
Veteran
Posts: 2453
Joined: Thu Jun 03 12:23 pm
Location: Blaine
Age: 50
Contact:

Post by pjoyn » Wed Jun 13 9:06 am

I am pretty partial to the Flying Dog Pale Ale. Summit EPA is a close second. On a hot day though, nothing beats a Negra Modelo Especial with a lime. :drunk:
#1 Super Guy!!!

User avatar
Reg Dunlop
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1936
Joined: Mon Aug 25 8:16 am
Location: Charlestown, PA
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Reg Dunlop » Wed Jun 13 9:07 am

Viking wrote:
Reg Dunlop wrote:Anyone know where I can find Weihenstephan Heffewisen in the area?


I don't believe it's available in Minnesota.


That's what I thought.
I picked some up in LaCrosse Wi a month ago. I guess I didn't pick up enough.
"Let 'em know you're there!"

Thirty-four: "Reg, I gotta tell you, of all the people on the board, you are one of the five I'd like to buy a beer!" :beerchug:

Frozen Four: BSU=JBSU=LOL

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10352
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times
Age: 54

Post by Zwak » Wed Jun 13 9:12 am

Reg Dunlop wrote:
Viking wrote:
Reg Dunlop wrote:Anyone know where I can find Weihenstephan Heffewisen in the area?


I don't believe it's available in Minnesota.


That's what I thought.
I picked some up in LaCrosse Wi a month ago. I guess I didn't pick up enough.


Looks like you can get it in Iowa City too.

http://www.johnsgrocery.com/Departments ... yle&arg=93

There is a liquor store in Highland Village called Liquor Village. They are a small store with an incredible beer selection. You may want to give them a call (651-699-7070) to see if they carry it or can get it.

BTW...a good summer beer is Bell's Oberon. At The Happy Gnome in St. Paul you can buy a mini keg of it. You get about 12 - 13 glasses out of it.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Viking
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3045
Joined: Fri Feb 11 3:07 pm
Location: Searching for the elusive beer tree
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 58 times
Age: 51

Post by Viking » Wed Jun 13 9:13 am

Reg Dunlop wrote:
Viking wrote:
Reg Dunlop wrote:Anyone know where I can find Weihenstephan Heffewisen in the area?


I don't believe it's available in Minnesota.


That's what I thought.
I picked some up in LaCrosse Wi a month ago. I guess I didn't pick up enough.


No distributors in Minnesota carry it. If they did, Blue Max would have it. IIRC, they carry every beer available in Minnesota.
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

User avatar
Reg Dunlop
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1936
Joined: Mon Aug 25 8:16 am
Location: Charlestown, PA
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Reg Dunlop » Wed Jun 13 9:24 am

Zwak wrote:
Reg Dunlop wrote:
Viking wrote:
Reg Dunlop wrote:Anyone know where I can find Weihenstephan Heffewisen in the area?


I don't believe it's available in Minnesota.


That's what I thought.
I picked some up in LaCrosse Wi a month ago. I guess I didn't pick up enough.


Looks like you can get it in Iowa City too.

http://www.johnsgrocery.com/Departments ... yle&arg=93

There is a liquor store in Highland Village called Liquor Village. They are a small store with an incredible beer selection. You may want to give them a call (651-699-7070) to see if they carry it or can get it.

BTW...a good summer beer is Bell's Oberon. At The Happy Gnome in St. Paul you can buy a mini keg of it. You get about 12 - 13 glasses out of it.


Love The Happy Gnome!
"Let 'em know you're there!"

Thirty-four: "Reg, I gotta tell you, of all the people on the board, you are one of the five I'd like to buy a beer!" :beerchug:

Frozen Four: BSU=JBSU=LOL

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10352
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times
Age: 54

Post by Zwak » Wed Jun 13 9:30 am

Viking wrote:
Reg Dunlop wrote:
Viking wrote:
Reg Dunlop wrote:Anyone know where I can find Weihenstephan Heffewisen in the area?


I don't believe it's available in Minnesota.


That's what I thought.
I picked some up in LaCrosse Wi a month ago. I guess I didn't pick up enough.


No distributors in Minnesota carry it. If they did, Blue Max would have it. IIRC, they carry every beer available in Minnesota.


Blue Max is a good store. Just a little far from S. St. Paul.

When it comes to liquor stores, I would MUCH rather frequent a local independent store. Not a big fan of MGM.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Viking
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3045
Joined: Fri Feb 11 3:07 pm
Location: Searching for the elusive beer tree
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 58 times
Age: 51

Post by Viking » Wed Jun 13 9:55 am

Zwak wrote:
Viking wrote:
Reg Dunlop wrote:
Viking wrote:
Reg Dunlop wrote:Anyone know where I can find Weihenstephan Heffewisen in the area?


I don't believe it's available in Minnesota.


That's what I thought.
I picked some up in LaCrosse Wi a month ago. I guess I didn't pick up enough.


No distributors in Minnesota carry it. If they did, Blue Max would have it. IIRC, they carry every beer available in Minnesota.


Blue Max is a good store. Just a little far from S. St. Paul.

When it comes to liquor stores, I would MUCH rather frequent a local independent store. Not a big fan of MGM.


Agreed. I can see Blue Max from my deck, so it's quite easy to walk over and get a new beer or two when I get the urge (especially when I'm firing up the grill). The Happy Gnome is a little too far for me, so it's Old Chicago in Apple Valley.
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10352
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times
Age: 54

Post by Zwak » Wed Jun 13 9:56 am

Viking wrote:
Zwak wrote:
Viking wrote:
Reg Dunlop wrote:
Viking wrote:
Reg Dunlop wrote:Anyone know where I can find Weihenstephan Heffewisen in the area?


I don't believe it's available in Minnesota.


That's what I thought.
I picked some up in LaCrosse Wi a month ago. I guess I didn't pick up enough.


No distributors in Minnesota carry it. If they did, Blue Max would have it. IIRC, they carry every beer available in Minnesota.


Blue Max is a good store. Just a little far from S. St. Paul.

When it comes to liquor stores, I would MUCH rather frequent a local independent store. Not a big fan of MGM.


Agreed. I can see Blue Max from my deck, so it's quite easy to walk over and get a new beer or two when I get the urge (especially when I'm firing up the grill). The Happy Gnome is a little too far for me, so it's Old Chicago in Apple Valley.


As far as "chain" restaurants go, you can't beat the beer selection at Old Chicago.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
stelly18
Veteran
Posts: 1203
Joined: Thu Jan 19 4:59 pm
Location: SEMN
Age: 45

Post by stelly18 » Wed Jun 13 10:19 am

Any truth to the rumor I heard from somebody that you can find Sol (Mexican beer) at a liquor store in Burnsville?

I was finally able to get some. I had to get a Mexican guy I know to ask someone he knows down on the border in Eagle Pass, TX to bring some up with him for me when he came up to do summer work. So now I have 18 bottles straight from the south and I'm not sure how long that will last me.

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10352
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times
Age: 54

Post by Zwak » Wed Jun 13 10:22 am

stelly18 wrote:Any truth to the rumor I heard from somebody that you can find Sol (Mexican beer) at a liquor store in Burnsville?

I was finally able to get some. I had to get a Mexican guy I know to ask someone he knows down on the border in Eagle Pass, TX to bring some up with him for me when he came up to do summer work. So now I have 18 bottles straight from the south and I'm not sure how long that will last me.


The aforementioned Blue Max Liquors is in Burnsville. You might want to give them a call.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Viking
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3045
Joined: Fri Feb 11 3:07 pm
Location: Searching for the elusive beer tree
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 58 times
Age: 51

Post by Viking » Wed Jun 13 11:25 am

Zwak wrote:
stelly18 wrote:Any truth to the rumor I heard from somebody that you can find Sol (Mexican beer) at a liquor store in Burnsville?

I was finally able to get some. I had to get a Mexican guy I know to ask someone he knows down on the border in Eagle Pass, TX to bring some up with him for me when he came up to do summer work. So now I have 18 bottles straight from the south and I'm not sure how long that will last me.


The aforementioned Blue Max Liquors is in Burnsville. You might want to give them a call.


They do not have Sol at Blue Max. I asked their buyer about it and he told me that they can't get a distributor in Minnesota to carry it. Apparently I'm not the only one who has asked about it. I've heard that there is a liquor store in Hudson that does carry it though.
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

User avatar
The Exiled One
Rookie
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Oct 27 9:54 am

Post by The Exiled One » Wed Jun 13 11:34 am

I this the beer in question?

Image

Just out of curiosity, what's the appeal?

User avatar
pjoyn
Veteran
Posts: 2453
Joined: Thu Jun 03 12:23 pm
Location: Blaine
Age: 50
Contact:

Post by pjoyn » Wed Jun 13 12:13 pm

The Exiled One wrote:I this the beer in question?

Image

Just out of curiosity, what's the appeal?


I think it is like Cuban cigars. You can't get it here and people up here usually have it on vacation. Corono, Pacifico, Sol and Modelo are all good with a little different taste. Kinda like Bud, Miller, Coors and Busch.
#1 Super Guy!!!

User avatar
noy-zee
Golden
Golden
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Mar 10 6:00 pm
Location: Eagan, MN
Age: 39

Post by noy-zee » Wed Jun 13 12:20 pm

Dances With Gophers wrote:Is there ANY place in the area that sells Fat Tire (CO)? I heard a rumor that distributors were going to (finally) come into the TC market last November...but still no sign of the beer anywhere? :anger: :confused2: :drunk:


i was at Top Ten Wine and Spirits in Woodbury. (94 and Woodbury Dr, behind the S.A.)

they had a flyer on the door saying "Fat Tire: Coming Soon!"

just a heads up. not sure if you found it anywhere else or not.

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 7681
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Bigbeer » Wed Jun 13 12:21 pm

Viking wrote:
Zwak wrote:
stelly18 wrote:Any truth to the rumor I heard from somebody that you can find Sol (Mexican beer) at a liquor store in Burnsville?

I was finally able to get some. I had to get a Mexican guy I know to ask someone he knows down on the border in Eagle Pass, TX to bring some up with him for me when he came up to do summer work. So now I have 18 bottles straight from the south and I'm not sure how long that will last me.


The aforementioned Blue Max Liquors is in Burnsville. You might want to give them a call.


They do not have Sol at Blue Max. I asked their buyer about it and he told me that they can't get a distributor in Minnesota to carry it. Apparently I'm not the only one who has asked about it. I've heard that there is a liquor store in Hudson that does carry it though.


I work at Casanova Liquors in Hudson. We have 12's and 6's of Sol. It's a good summer beer. Similar to Corona but a little smoother. It's not distributed in Minnesota.
If you are a fan of European beer, try the New Glarus Stone Soup. It's a Belgian style ale, but not like Blue Moon. I can't stop drinking it. All the New Glarus stuff is awesome.
We have also heard Fat Tire will be available here soon. We get alot of requests for it.
If you go to Happy Gnome, try the Grottenbier. It's the best beer I have ever had, hands down, no doubt.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
Viking
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3045
Joined: Fri Feb 11 3:07 pm
Location: Searching for the elusive beer tree
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 58 times
Age: 51

Post by Viking » Wed Jun 13 12:29 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Viking wrote:
Zwak wrote:
stelly18 wrote:Any truth to the rumor I heard from somebody that you can find Sol (Mexican beer) at a liquor store in Burnsville?

I was finally able to get some. I had to get a Mexican guy I know to ask someone he knows down on the border in Eagle Pass, TX to bring some up with him for me when he came up to do summer work. So now I have 18 bottles straight from the south and I'm not sure how long that will last me.


The aforementioned Blue Max Liquors is in Burnsville. You might want to give them a call.


They do not have Sol at Blue Max. I asked their buyer about it and he told me that they can't get a distributor in Minnesota to carry it. Apparently I'm not the only one who has asked about it. I've heard that there is a liquor store in Hudson that does carry it though.


I work at Casanova Liquors in Hudson. We have 12's and 6's of Sol. It's a good summer beer. Similar to Corona but a little smoother. It's not distributed in Minnesota.
If you are a fan of European beer, try the New Glarus Stone Soup. It's a Belgian style ale, but not like Blue Moon. I can't stop drinking it. All the New Glarus stuff is awesome.
We have also heard Fat Tire will be available here soon. We get alot of requests for it.
If you go to Happy Gnome, try the Grottenbier. It's the best beer I have ever had, hands down, no doubt.


Thanks Bigbeer! I knew someone would come slamming home with the info on Sol. I probably heard it from you to begin with.
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

User avatar
The Exiled One
Rookie
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Oct 27 9:54 am

Post by The Exiled One » Wed Jun 13 1:28 pm

Bigbeer wrote:I work at Casanova Liquors in Hudson. We have 12's and 6's of Sol. It's a good summer beer. Similar to Corona but a little smoother. It's not distributed in Minnesota.
If you are a fan of European beer, try the New Glarus Stone Soup. It's a Belgian style ale, but not like Blue Moon. I can't stop drinking it. All the New Glarus stuff is awesome.
We have also heard Fat Tire will be available here soon. We get alot of requests for it.
If you go to Happy Gnome, try the Grottenbier. It's the best beer I have ever had, hands down, no doubt.

Also, if you're making the trip to Hudson, might as well pick up New Glarus Belgian Red and New Glarus Raspberry Tart. Yes they're fruit beers, but it's impossible to compare the flavors to anything... period. They're not cheap either, as Belgian Red uses over a pound of cherries per 22oz bottle (yes, you read that correctly). Though if you think about it, a pound of cherries plus beer for eight bucks isn't really that bad of a deal.

Three Floyds distributes three of their beers as far west as Hudson and no further. Pick up a sixer or a couple of bombers of each of their products... they're all worth it.

Founders is another great brewer that doesn't make it to the TC. Beer geeks literally mark their calendars every year for the day that Hudson gets their small allotment of Breakfast Stout. You'll likely never get that fine offering, but buy anything else that you can find from Founders.

Be a good sport and visit Bigbeer at Casanova, but if they don't offer what you're looking for, Chicone's is another good place to look.

And don't forget, it's Wisconsin, make it a Sunday day trip!

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 7681
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Bigbeer » Wed Jun 13 1:35 pm

The Three Floyds Robert the Bruce Scottish Ale is very good. I actually haven't had any of the Founders yet. Will try.

Tyranena is another good Wisconsin brewery. Very good porter.

We have 30 cases of craft beers coming in this week so we should be stocked up.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
The Exiled One
Rookie
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Oct 27 9:54 am

Post by The Exiled One » Wed Jun 13 1:41 pm

Oh, I almost forgot, Dogfish Head used to (or maybe still does) distribute only a partial offering of their products to MN. Casanova and Chicone's will have more complete line. Make sure you look closely at what you buy from Dogfish Head, as they offer some of the strongest beers on the planet. :drunk:

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 7681
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Bigbeer » Wed Jun 13 2:19 pm

We have a good amount of Dogfish, and it's very popular but also very hoppy. Their IPA's are big. We have the 60, 90 and 120 minute. Too much for me. I like something a little smoother. They actually have an automated system that drops hops into the wort every minute.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10352
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times
Age: 54

Post by Zwak » Wed Jun 13 3:00 pm

Bigbeer wrote:The Three Floyds Robert the Bruce Scottish Ale is very good. I actually haven't had any of the Founders yet. Will try.

Tyranena is another good Wisconsin brewery. Very good porter.

We have 30 cases of craft beers coming in this week so we should be stocked up.


Is there a GPL password to get the "insider deal'? :wave:

How about: "Jup sent me"
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 16857
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 416 times
Contact:

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Jun 13 5:24 pm

Another than Guinness, you can't go wrong with [link]Chimay. I also like a few other micros and imports, but I have to admit that I have a soft spot for Leine's when it comes to having something around the house during yard work, etc. :)

User avatar
mingust
Veteran
Posts: 866
Joined: Wed Feb 01 2:29 am
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Age: 36

Post by mingust » Wed Jun 13 6:50 pm

Bigbeer wrote:We have a good amount of Dogfish, and it's very popular but also very hoppy. Their IPA's are big. We have the 60, 90 and 120 minute. Too much for me. I like something a little smoother. They actually have an automated system that drops hops into the wort every minute.


I was surprised when I tried the 120 minute. It's much sweeter than expected and that masked the usually bitter hoppiness that I'm used to with an IPA. My brother-in-law has one several Indiana Blue Ribbon's for his homebrew (his belgian actually scored a 100), and he's had the damndest time trying to replicate the 120.

Closest he got ended up being called and Imperial IPA. Kicked your :censored: , but wasn't nearly as tasty.

-----------------------

As a cheap beer, I recommend Goose Island 312 Urban wheat.

After I do a tour of one of the goose island brew-pubs, I'll let people know whether or not they're worth a stop if you're in Chicagoland

-----------------------

If you can find bottles of the Sprecher special reserve Abby Tripple (at Cellars for instance) GET THEM. This beer is fantastic and doesn't have the alcoholic bite of their traditional Tripple.
Thirty-Four wrote:Dude, I've written "War and Peace" with company ink... I'm horrible.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Post by The Rube » Wed Jun 13 11:20 pm

Don't try the Leinie's Summer Shandy unless you are wearing a skirt, or it's 110 degress (and you only have two). Just sayin'.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Viking
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3045
Joined: Fri Feb 11 3:07 pm
Location: Searching for the elusive beer tree
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 58 times
Age: 51

Post by Viking » Thu Jun 14 9:23 am

The Rube wrote:Don't try the Leinie's Summer Shandy unless you are wearing a skirt, or it's 110 degress (and you only have two). Just sayin'.

I tried it at Old Chicago when it first came out. I took two or three sips, pushed the glass away and said to the bartender "I can't drink this :censored: . Give me something tastes like beer." He gave me a Surly!!
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

User avatar
Ben
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Apr 04 5:35 pm
Location: Eagan
Age: 39
Contact:

Post by Ben » Thu Jun 14 9:25 am

Viking wrote:
The Rube wrote:Don't try the Leinie's Summer Shandy unless you are wearing a skirt, or it's 110 degress (and you only have two). Just sayin'.

I tried it at Old Chicago when it first came out. I took two or three sips, pushed the glass away and said to the bartender "I can't drink this :censored: . Give me something tastes like beer." He gave me a Surly!!


I tried it at Majors, and if it weren't for the bottle, I would have thought I was drinking some deformed lemonaid. I agree, though, that it wouldn't be that bad on about a 110 degree day. Almost as good as my concoction involving Lemonaid, Vodka, and a certain schnapps.
"If lessons are learned in defeat, our team is getting a great education."
- Murray Warmath

User avatar
stelly18
Veteran
Posts: 1203
Joined: Thu Jan 19 4:59 pm
Location: SEMN
Age: 45

Post by stelly18 » Tue Jun 19 9:24 am

Bigbeer wrote:I work at Casanova Liquors in Hudson. We have 12's and 6's of Sol. It's a good summer beer. Similar to Corona but a little smoother. It's not distributed in Minnesota.
If you are a fan of European beer, try the New Glarus Stone Soup. It's a Belgian style ale, but not like Blue Moon. I can't stop drinking it. All the New Glarus stuff is awesome.
We have also heard Fat Tire will be available here soon. We get alot of requests for it.
If you go to Happy Gnome, try the Grottenbier. It's the best beer I have ever had, hands down, no doubt.


That's great news on the Sol. I'm down in Rochester so next time I'm up in the cities on the St. Paul side I'll have to run over to Hudson and get me a case.

Post Reply