Local Broadcasting/Media

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3811
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 167 times

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Norm » Fri Oct 23 12:58 pm

That's my only hope is for BTN to carry most of the games. But with Big 10 football running later in the year I'm not optimistic.

User avatar
Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Posts: 15297
Joined: Wed Apr 09 10:45 am
Location: The Sticks
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 523 times
Age: 48
Contact:

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Jupiter » Fri Oct 23 1:33 pm

FSN will be covering some games.... Do not know how many, just that they will have some games on.

Kind of makes me wonder.... Maybe FSN will have MOST of the games? It's not like the Wild or Wolves are playing right now.

User avatar
Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15827
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 193 times

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Fri Oct 23 1:50 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Fri Oct 23 1:33 pm
FSN will be covering some games.... Do not know how many, just that they will have some games on.

Kind of makes me wonder.... Maybe FSN will have MOST of the games? It's not like the Wild or Wolves are playing right now.
Basically any game that is not in conflict with a Wild or Wolves game should be on FSN/+ or BTN in my opinion. Even if it's a skeleton crew (one camera and a college kid announcing). To get pushed for something ridiculous would be disheartening.
Loserville, USA
110 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

User avatar
solar
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2058
Joined: Wed Feb 01 5:33 pm
Location: Minneapolis
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 2 times
Age: 51

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by solar » Fri Oct 23 2:12 pm

Take away our niche desires to watch college hockey on TV right now, is there any reason why YouTubeTV or any provider would pay premium prices to have FSN on it's line-up this winter? There is virtually nothing going on live that interests a wide variety of viewers. It sure feels like a smart business choice for them to wait and renegotiate when there is something worthwhile coming up.

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9775
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 168 times
Age: 48

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Steve MN » Fri Oct 23 2:57 pm

solar wrote:
Fri Oct 23 2:12 pm
Take away our niche desires to watch college hockey on TV right now, is there any reason why YouTubeTV or any provider would pay premium prices to have FSN on it's line-up this winter? There is virtually nothing going on live that interests a wide variety of viewers. It sure feels like a smart business choice for them to wait and renegotiate when there is something worthwhile coming up.
I certainly can't blame YouTube/etc for not wanting to pay the kind of money Sinclair is apparently asking for.

I can sort of understand that Sinclair is trying to get back the money they invested in buying the channels in the first place, but I'd think they'd know by now that providers aren't going to pay that much, and would start lowering the price to at least cut the loss.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7528
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 474 times
Age: 54

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Oct 28 10:21 am

RIP City Pages. Although I don't live in the Cities, I would always grab a copy when in a bar for hockey when I waist town. I did notice that the last time I saw a copy, it was a shell of its former self.

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11065
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 208 times
Age: 55

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Zwak » Wed Oct 28 10:55 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Oct 28 10:21 am
RIP City Pages. Although I don't live in the Cities, I would always grab a copy when in a bar for hockey when I waist town. I did notice that the last time I saw a copy, it was a shell of its former self.
Pre-internet, City Pages and The Reader were my main reference source for figuring out what to do on the weekend. Since then I rarely read their main news articles but did read most of their restaurant articles.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11065
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 208 times
Age: 55

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Zwak » Thu Oct 29 5:29 am

Insights as to if/when Hulu and YouTube will make nice with Sinclair:

https://tvanswerman.com/2020/10/29/hulu ... ssion=true
GPL's official source of trivia.

Lancaster
Rookie
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Oct 21 8:50 am
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 16 times

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Lancaster » Thu Oct 29 5:40 am

Zwak wrote:
Wed Oct 28 10:55 am
frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Oct 28 10:21 am
RIP City Pages. Although I don't live in the Cities, I would always grab a copy when in a bar for hockey when I waist town. I did notice that the last time I saw a copy, it was a shell of its former self.
Pre-internet, City Pages and The Reader were my main reference source for figuring out what to do on the weekend. Since then I rarely read their main news articles but did read most of their restaurant articles.
Those were the days :(

They had some good music writing and coverage with Marty Keller and Michael Welch. It was a real scene!!

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7528
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 474 times
Age: 54

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Oct 29 2:49 pm


User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10522
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 213 times
Age: 45

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by davescharf » Thu Oct 29 3:31 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Oct 29 2:49 pm
I remember being in 5th grade with one of Dave's sons. He came a couple times to talk weather at our school and it was like meeting a rock star at that age. He's had a pretty amazing career.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
D2D
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3320
Joined: Wed Oct 24 12:48 am
Has liked: 493 times
Been liked: 167 times

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by D2D » Thu Oct 29 3:47 pm

To be around for 40+ years in that business says something about his talent and his likeability.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 20379
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 1001 times
Been liked: 627 times
Age: 54

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Greyeagle » Thu Oct 29 4:09 pm

D2D wrote:
Thu Oct 29 3:47 pm
To be around for 40+ years in that business says something about his talent and his likeability.
Especially on KSTP.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11065
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 208 times
Age: 55

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Zwak » Thu Oct 29 5:21 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Thu Oct 29 4:09 pm
D2D wrote:
Thu Oct 29 3:47 pm
To be around for 40+ years in that business says something about his talent and his likeability.
Especially on KSTP.
I met Dave Dahl a couple times. Very nice guy.

Want to feel old? He was hired by Dr. Walt Lyons.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 17589
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 465 times
Been liked: 421 times
Contact:

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Oct 29 5:21 pm

40 years? Wow. What a run.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 20379
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 1001 times
Been liked: 627 times
Age: 54

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Greyeagle » Thu Oct 29 5:49 pm

Zwak wrote:
Thu Oct 29 5:21 pm
I met Dave Dahl a couple times. Very nice guy

Want to feel old? He was hired by Dr. Walt Lyons.
I have heard he is really a nice guy.
Lyons....wow that's a blast. Who was the other guy? Don, Dan or Denny something like that?
Someone on AM1500 used to call him Doppler Dan (or whatever his first name was)? I think he ended up going to Tampa-St. Pete?
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11065
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 208 times
Age: 55

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Zwak » Thu Oct 29 7:22 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Thu Oct 29 5:49 pm
Zwak wrote:
Thu Oct 29 5:21 pm
I met Dave Dahl a couple times. Very nice guy

Want to feel old? He was hired by Dr. Walt Lyons.
I have heard he is really a nice guy.
Lyons....wow that's a blast. Who was the other guy? Don, Dan or Denny something like that?
Someone on AM1500 used to call him Doppler Dan (or whatever his first name was)? I think he ended up going to Tampa-St. Pete?
I believe you are referring to Dennis Feltgen.

The last time I met him I was with a bunch of people downtown and they were talking to him first. I went up to him and said, "oh my gosh, it's Roy Finden", He looked at me, did a double take, and then said,"what did you just say?" I told him I was just teasing him and proceeded to have a 10 minute conversation about old school weather people from back in the day.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
gopher6
Veteran
Posts: 5272
Joined: Wed Feb 01 7:17 am
Location: frozen pond
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 35 times
Contact:

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by gopher6 » Sun Nov 01 1:59 pm

If the Vikes keep this up Gerby will be a great listen to tomorrow on KFAN

User avatar
Gopherguy05
Veteran
Posts: 5044
Joined: Fri Dec 01 8:52 pm
Location: West St. Paul
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 30 times
Age: 38

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Gopherguy05 » Tue Nov 03 8:05 am

KDWB morning sidekick Steve-O and the Cities 97 morning guy both got the axe from Clear Channel yesterday.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-li ... off-monday

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7528
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 474 times
Age: 54

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Nov 06 4:18 am

Another massive round of layoffs at ESPN

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 20379
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 1001 times
Been liked: 627 times
Age: 54

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Greyeagle » Fri Nov 06 10:55 am

Yikes!

Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3811
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 167 times

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Norm » Fri Nov 06 12:39 pm

My heart breaks for Sinclair.

User avatar
Gopherguy05
Veteran
Posts: 5044
Joined: Fri Dec 01 8:52 pm
Location: West St. Paul
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 30 times
Age: 38

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Gopherguy05 » Fri Nov 06 5:38 pm

Apparently Christmas music season on Kool 108 has come early this year.


User avatar
Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Posts: 15297
Joined: Wed Apr 09 10:45 am
Location: The Sticks
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 523 times
Age: 48
Contact:

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Jupiter » Fri Nov 06 5:48 pm

I just had it on in my car and started swearing!!!!

That station is now gone for 2 months!

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29823
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 271 times
Age: 33

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Beauner » Fri Nov 06 6:21 pm

Not really local, but cool nonetheless

Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 17589
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 465 times
Been liked: 421 times
Contact:

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Nov 07 12:22 am

"I lost on Jeopardy, Baby"
Currently under construction.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 32997
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 295 times
Been liked: 341 times
Contact:

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by The Rube » Sat Nov 07 7:40 am

Jupiter wrote:
Fri Nov 06 5:48 pm
I just had it on in my car and started swearing!!!!

That station is now gone for 2 months!
USUALLY they wait until after Thanksgiving. WTF is wrong with people. Ugh.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Orion
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2683
Joined: Wed Feb 15 7:51 pm
Location: 13.2 miles from Mariucci
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 60 times

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Orion » Sat Nov 07 8:09 am

The Rube wrote:
Sat Nov 07 7:40 am
Jupiter wrote:
Fri Nov 06 5:48 pm
I just had it on in my car and started swearing!!!!

That station is now gone for 2 months!
USUALLY they wait until after Thanksgiving. WTF is wrong with people. Ugh.
It's cheap to play. Worse is that they will play the same 12 songs on repeat

User avatar
Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Posts: 1286
Joined: Tue Jul 29 12:50 pm
Location: Mortgage Business
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 54 times
Age: 50
Contact:

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Sat Nov 07 8:52 am

Orion wrote:
Sat Nov 07 8:09 am
The Rube wrote:
Sat Nov 07 7:40 am
Jupiter wrote:
Fri Nov 06 5:48 pm
I just had it on in my car and started swearing!!!!

That station is now gone for 2 months!
USUALLY they wait until after Thanksgiving. WTF is wrong with people. Ugh.
It's cheap to play. Worse is that they will play the same 12 songs on repeat
Exactly. There are thousands of Christmas songs but they still play Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree 30 times a f'ing day!

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 17589
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 465 times
Been liked: 421 times
Contact:

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Nov 07 9:01 am

Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:
Sat Nov 07 8:52 am
Orion wrote:
Sat Nov 07 8:09 am
The Rube wrote:
Sat Nov 07 7:40 am
Jupiter wrote:
Fri Nov 06 5:48 pm
I just had it on in my car and started swearing!!!!

That station is now gone for 2 months!
USUALLY they wait until after Thanksgiving. WTF is wrong with people. Ugh.
It's cheap to play. Worse is that they will play the same 12 songs on repeat
Exactly. There are thousands of Christmas songs but they still play Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree 30 times a f'ing day!
You listen for an entire day? Their strategy is working on at least one.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8685
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 440 times
Been liked: 599 times
Age: 33

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Nov 07 10:05 am

2020 has been one continuous clusterfu€k. Christmas is usually a happier time of year, maybe they are just trying to lighten the mood a little sooner.

That being said I’m usually on board with not til after turkey day.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 32997
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 295 times
Been liked: 341 times
Contact:

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by The Rube » Sat Nov 07 10:09 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Nov 07 10:05 am
2020 has been one continuous clusterfu€k. Christmas is usually a happier time of year, maybe they are just trying to lighten the mood a little sooner.

That being said I’m usually on board with not til after turkey day.
That makes some sense, but also alienates a big chunk of people. I voluntarily listen to Christmas music the week of, and I'm all in during that time period. Outside of that? All the nopes.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 20379
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 1001 times
Been liked: 627 times
Age: 54

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Greyeagle » Sat Nov 07 12:05 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Fri Nov 06 5:48 pm
I just had it on in my car and started swearing!!!!

That station is now gone for 2 months!
Christmas songs are acceptable from 5PM on Christmas Eve to around 2PM on Christmas Day.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

User avatar
Kelly Red
Veteran
Posts: 3339
Joined: Wed Dec 05 4:12 pm
Location: High Horse
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 222 times

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Kelly Red » Sat Nov 07 12:25 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Sat Nov 07 12:05 pm
Jupiter wrote:
Fri Nov 06 5:48 pm
I just had it on in my car and started swearing!!!!

That station is now gone for 2 months!
Christmas songs are acceptable from 5PM on Christmas Eve to around 2PM on Christmas Day.
BOOO!
:poke:
Honestly I’m surprised the road to Hell is paved at all.
-blatant steal from Twitter

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9775
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 168 times
Age: 48

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Steve MN » Sat Nov 07 1:26 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Sat Nov 07 12:25 pm
Greyeagle wrote:
Sat Nov 07 12:05 pm
Jupiter wrote:
Fri Nov 06 5:48 pm
I just had it on in my car and started swearing!!!!

That station is now gone for 2 months!
Christmas songs are acceptable from 5PM on Christmas Eve to around 2PM on Christmas Day.
BOOO!
:poke:
Agreed... that's going a bit too far even for me. Day after Thanksgiving until say, December 28 or so (no later than the 30th, for sure)
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10522
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 213 times
Age: 45

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by davescharf » Sat Nov 07 1:34 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Sat Nov 07 12:05 pm
Jupiter wrote:
Fri Nov 06 5:48 pm
I just had it on in my car and started swearing!!!!

That station is now gone for 2 months!
Christmas songs are acceptable from 5PM on Christmas Eve to around 2PM on Christmas Day.
That's the worst take I've seen from you since your last one :lol:
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 20379
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 1001 times
Been liked: 627 times
Age: 54

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Greyeagle » Sat Nov 07 1:37 pm

They all sound the same. It's like listening to the old Lite FM but with less variety.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

User avatar
Viking
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3127
Joined: Fri Feb 11 3:07 pm
Location: Searching for the elusive beer tree
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 61 times
Age: 52

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Viking » Sat Nov 07 6:17 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Sat Nov 07 1:37 pm
They all sound the same. It's like listening to the old Lite FM but with less variety.
Obviously you've never listened to Snoopy's Christmas by The Royal Guardsmen.
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 32997
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 295 times
Been liked: 341 times
Contact:

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by The Rube » Sat Nov 07 6:38 pm

Now, if they'd be open to "Christmas At Ground Zero" by Weird Al, I might listen. :D
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
sunbone
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8641
Joined: Fri Feb 11 2:18 pm
Location: PWC
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 69 times
Age: 54

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by sunbone » Sat Nov 07 7:05 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Sat Nov 07 12:05 pm
Jupiter wrote:
Fri Nov 06 5:48 pm
I just had it on in my car and started swearing!!!!

That station is now gone for 2 months!
Christmas songs are acceptable from 5PM on Christmas Eve to around 2PM on Christmas Day.
That’s about 4 more hours than I’m comfortable with.

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7528
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 474 times
Age: 54

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Nov 08 11:33 am


User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10522
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 213 times
Age: 45

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by davescharf » Sun Nov 08 12:53 pm

Dammit 2020
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4326
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 181 times

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Bladepuller » Sun Nov 08 1:24 pm

This has been one chitty year.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
Chris83
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4907
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:37 am
Location: Welch, MN
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 144 times

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Chris83 » Sun Nov 08 3:03 pm

The year that keeps on taking. :(
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 17589
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 465 times
Been liked: 421 times
Contact:

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Nov 09 2:17 am

Suck it Tr--

Never mind too soon.

This really sucks. :(
Currently under construction.

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 20379
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 1001 times
Been liked: 627 times
Age: 54

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Nov 09 7:49 am

Zwak wrote:
Thu Oct 29 7:22 pm
Greyeagle wrote:
Thu Oct 29 5:49 pm
Zwak wrote:
Thu Oct 29 5:21 pm
I met Dave Dahl a couple times. Very nice guy

Want to feel old? He was hired by Dr. Walt Lyons.
I have heard he is really a nice guy.
Lyons....wow that's a blast. Who was the other guy? Don, Dan or Denny something like that?
Someone on AM1500 used to call him Doppler Dan (or whatever his first name was)? I think he ended up going to Tampa-St. Pete?
I believe you are referring to Dennis Feltgen.

The last time I met him I was with a bunch of people downtown and they were talking to him first. I went up to him and said, "oh my gosh, it's Roy Finden", He looked at me, did a double take, and then said,"what did you just say?" I told him I was just teasing him and proceeded to have a 10 minute conversation about old school weather people from back in the day.
So this always seems to happen.....hadn't thought of him in years and I see his name pop up today. I was reading an article this morning in the NYT about Hurricane Eta and Mr. Feltgen was quoted extensively. He’s now with the National Hurricane Center.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11065
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 208 times
Age: 55

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Zwak » Mon Nov 09 7:58 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Mon Nov 09 7:49 am
Zwak wrote:
Thu Oct 29 7:22 pm
Greyeagle wrote:
Thu Oct 29 5:49 pm
Zwak wrote:
Thu Oct 29 5:21 pm
I met Dave Dahl a couple times. Very nice guy

Want to feel old? He was hired by Dr. Walt Lyons.
I have heard he is really a nice guy.
Lyons....wow that's a blast. Who was the other guy? Don, Dan or Denny something like that?
Someone on AM1500 used to call him Doppler Dan (or whatever his first name was)? I think he ended up going to Tampa-St. Pete?
I believe you are referring to Dennis Feltgen.

The last time I met him I was with a bunch of people downtown and they were talking to him first. I went up to him and said, "oh my gosh, it's Roy Finden", He looked at me, did a double take, and then said,"what did you just say?" I told him I was just teasing him and proceeded to have a 10 minute conversation about old school weather people from back in the day.
So this always seems to happen.....hadn't thought of him in years and I see his name pop up today. I was reading an article this morning in the NYT about Hurricane Eta and Mr. Feltgen was quoted extensively. He’s now with the National Hurricane Center.
I could always tell he had some sort of Florida connection as when he worked here he would often include Florida weather in his segment.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7528
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 474 times
Age: 54

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Nov 17 2:36 pm

Desperate time call for desperate measures. But, they must get approval from the teams they carry to do it.

GO4
Rookie
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Feb 11 11:06 am
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by GO4 » Tue Nov 17 6:34 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Tue Nov 17 2:36 pm
Desperate time call for desperate measures. But, they must get approval from the teams they carry to do it.
I'd be happy if this brought Gopher hockey back to youtubeTV.

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11065
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 208 times
Age: 55

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Zwak » Sat Nov 28 10:23 am

I’m be a big fan of The Athletic. If you’re not a subscriber they have a black Friday deal right now for $1/month for 12 months.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5758
Joined: Tue Mar 06 2:20 am
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 113 times
Age: 34

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Snowcool08 » Sat Nov 28 11:37 am

Zwak wrote:
Sat Nov 28 10:23 am
I’m be a big fan of The Athletic. If you’re not a subscriber they have a black Friday deal right now for $1/month for 12 months.
Couldn’t agree more. The local stuff is top notch. Especially the Wild, Twins, and Vikings. Gopher stuff is lacking across all sports really (sorry Vegoe). I don’t read anything on the Wolves. My favorite “national” writer is Sean McIndoe on the NHL. He has some of the strongest ideas for articles and always pulls them off. Good for a laugh every single time.

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10522
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 213 times
Age: 45

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by davescharf » Sat Nov 28 12:08 pm

Agreed - people seem to complain here at times about the love it gets but they’ve been putting out a quality product since they started
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Posts: 2814
Joined: Tue Feb 09 8:49 am
Location: NE Mpls
Has liked: 304 times
Been liked: 116 times
Age: 42
Contact:

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Vegoe » Sat Nov 28 12:43 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Sat Nov 28 11:37 am
Gopher stuff is lacking across all sports really (sorry Vegoe).
No offense taken -- the readership for UMN content is less than the pro sports which is part of the reason there. The pandemic has impacted their freelance budget, so you're going to see a little more from me on twitter after games and a weekly post to GPL in addition to the podcast. I think Motzko has a chance for a special season, so I'll try to provide my insights that way for now.

User avatar
HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3581
Joined: Thu Jun 03 12:28 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 51 times
Contact:

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by HockeyBum » Sat Nov 28 3:41 pm

Zwak wrote:
Sat Nov 28 10:23 am
I’m be a big fan of The Athletic. If you’re not a subscriber they have a black Friday deal right now for $1/month for 12 months.
Thanks for the heads up. I subscribed today.

User avatar
gopher6
Veteran
Posts: 5272
Joined: Wed Feb 01 7:17 am
Location: frozen pond
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 35 times
Contact:

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by gopher6 » Sun Nov 29 5:33 am

From Charlie Walters today
Hockey people suggest that Mike Guentzel, if he wants the job, should be sought for the University of St. Thomas men’s hockey coaching position when the school moves from Division III to Division I a year from now. For the Tommies women’s job, if she’s interested, Natalie Darwitz, the former Gopher and Olympic star who coaches at Hamline.

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11065
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 208 times
Age: 55

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Zwak » Tue Dec 01 3:43 pm

Per a post from them on Twitter, Go 96.3 has been sold and will be changing format sometime in 2021
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
JWG
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8171
Joined: Tue Apr 15 9:33 am
Location: IGH
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 89 times
Age: 44
Contact:

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by JWG » Tue Dec 01 5:18 pm

Zwak wrote:
Tue Dec 01 3:43 pm
Per a post from them on Twitter, Go 96.3 has been sold and will be changing format sometime in 2021
As has 95.3 (also a Go station).
JWG :M:

User avatar
JWG
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8171
Joined: Tue Apr 15 9:33 am
Location: IGH
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 89 times
Age: 44
Contact:

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by JWG » Tue Dec 01 7:42 pm

Looks like Kare 11 is off DirecTV due to a rate disagreement. I rarely get mad at the provider in these disputes. It’s not like Kare’s parent said we want to charge you less and DirecTV said no. A network broadcast channel intended to be free to watchers trying to charge high rates annoys me.
JWG :M:

User avatar
Gopherguy05
Veteran
Posts: 5044
Joined: Fri Dec 01 8:52 pm
Location: West St. Paul
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 30 times
Age: 38

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Gopherguy05 » Tue Dec 01 9:21 pm


User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9775
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 168 times
Age: 48

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Steve MN » Wed Dec 02 9:12 am

JWG wrote:
Tue Dec 01 7:42 pm
Looks like Kare 11 is off DirecTV due to a rate disagreement. I rarely get mad at the provider in these disputes. It’s not like Kare’s parent said we want to charge you less and DirecTV said no. A network broadcast channel intended to be free to watchers trying to charge high rates annoys me.
It can be hard to decide at times who to blame when this happens for cable/satellite only channels, but in this case, I'm with you. Local network affiliate over-the-air broadcaster trying to charge higher-rates is pretty absurd.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
Laxref
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Mar 20 10:24 am
Location: Prior lake
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 48 times
Age: 36

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Laxref » Wed Dec 02 1:21 pm

Does anyone have a list of twin cities radio stations and their formats?

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7528
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 474 times
Age: 54

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Dec 02 1:34 pm

Laxref wrote:
Wed Dec 02 1:21 pm
Does anyone have a list of twin cities radio stations and their formats?
I found this list. Doesn't have a date on it, but looks pretty recent.
https://localwiki.org/twincities/Radio

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 17589
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 465 times
Been liked: 421 times
Contact:

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Dec 03 12:07 pm

Currently under construction.

User avatar
D2D
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3320
Joined: Wed Oct 24 12:48 am
Has liked: 493 times
Been liked: 167 times

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by D2D » Thu Dec 03 4:32 pm

That's amazing. Trying to imagine what my reaction would be if I saw a plane landing just ahead of me!
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

User avatar
Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Posts: 15297
Joined: Wed Apr 09 10:45 am
Location: The Sticks
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 523 times
Age: 48
Contact:

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Jupiter » Thu Dec 03 4:35 pm

The end of the biggest satellite dish of them all...


User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9775
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 168 times
Age: 48

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Steve MN » Thu Dec 03 5:40 pm

The Chinese FAST telescope passed by Arecibo a while ago in size, but Arecibo is definitely the one most people think of when talking about large radio dishes. Sort of a progressive problem over the past few weeks. They had one cable out of 6 from a tower fail and started looking at it, but then a week or so ago, a second cable on the same set broke, so they pulled the repair teams out trying to figure out how to safely deal with it. Then a couple days ago, there was another in a long string of earthquakes in the area, and moments later, it collapsed. A lot of amazing science happened there over the decades.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
jberg29
Newbie
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Oct 21 5:36 pm
Location: Stillwater
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by jberg29 » Fri Dec 04 3:39 pm

I was always fascinated by that telescope. I remember back in the 90's running SETI the screen saver on my desktop. The information for that was gathered from the Arecibo telescope.

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9775
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 168 times
Age: 48

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Steve MN » Fri Dec 04 5:31 pm

Scott Manley did a video today analyzing some of the footage... there was literally a drone doing cable inspection on the problem tower at the time of the collapse, so that footage in insane:

"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11065
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 208 times
Age: 55

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Zwak » Thu Dec 10 6:51 am

Russo has an amazing article in The Athletic today about Mark Parrish and his battle with drugs and alcohol. A must read.

https://theathletic.com/2247132/2020/12 ... -recovery/

Kudos for Parrish getting help and to Ben Clymer for his help.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7528
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 474 times
Age: 54

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Dec 10 8:38 am

Zwak wrote:
Thu Dec 10 6:51 am
Russo has an amazing article in The Athletic today about Mark Parrish and his battle with drugs and alcohol. A must read.

https://theathletic.com/2247132/2020/12 ... -recovery/

Kudos for Parrish getting help and to Ben Clymer for his help.
Wow, that is an incredibly, well written story. Kudos to Brian Lawton and Ben Clymer on spearheading the effort to help Parrish.

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9775
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 168 times
Age: 48

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Steve MN » Thu Dec 10 10:40 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Dec 10 8:38 am
Zwak wrote:
Thu Dec 10 6:51 am
Russo has an amazing article in The Athletic today about Mark Parrish and his battle with drugs and alcohol. A must read.

https://theathletic.com/2247132/2020/12 ... -recovery/

Kudos for Parrish getting help and to Ben Clymer for his help.
Wow, that is an incredibly, well written story. Kudos to Brian Lawton and Ben Clymer on spearheading the effort to help Parrish.
Completely agreed. I can't stand Clymer as an announcer, but he always struck me as a good guy. Nice to see that he is.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 6297
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 246 times
Been liked: 106 times

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by bearpaw28 » Thu Dec 10 12:21 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Dec 10 8:38 am
Zwak wrote:
Thu Dec 10 6:51 am
Russo has an amazing article in The Athletic today about Mark Parrish and his battle with drugs and alcohol. A must read.

https://theathletic.com/2247132/2020/12 ... -recovery/

Kudos for Parrish getting help and to Ben Clymer for his help.
Wow, that is an incredibly, well written story. Kudos to Brian Lawton and Ben Clymer on spearheading the effort to help Parrish.
Kudos to Mark Parrish, he’s battling a disease and I admire him demonstrating the courage it took...to publicly discuss his battle so openly 👍

User avatar
Kelly Red
Veteran
Posts: 3339
Joined: Wed Dec 05 4:12 pm
Location: High Horse
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 222 times

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Kelly Red » Thu Dec 10 12:59 pm

Zwak wrote:
Thu Dec 10 6:51 am
Russo has an amazing article in The Athletic today about Mark Parrish and his battle with drugs and alcohol. A must read.

https://theathletic.com/2247132/2020/12 ... -recovery/

Kudos for Parrish getting help and to Ben Clymer for his help.
Can I read this article without subscribing to The Atlantic? Otherwise this link is not useful.
Honestly I’m surprised the road to Hell is paved at all.
-blatant steal from Twitter

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3811
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 167 times

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Norm » Thu Dec 10 1:18 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Thu Dec 10 12:59 pm
Zwak wrote:
Thu Dec 10 6:51 am
Russo has an amazing article in The Athletic today about Mark Parrish and his battle with drugs and alcohol. A must read.

https://theathletic.com/2247132/2020/12 ... -recovery/

Kudos for Parrish getting help and to Ben Clymer for his help.
Can I read this article without subscribing to The Atlantic?
You can read the Atlantic w/o a subscription. Not much Gopher hockey in it though. :)

User avatar
gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Posts: 20525
Joined: Sat Oct 02 8:53 pm
Location: Maple Grove
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 55 times
Age: 29

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by gopherguy13 » Thu Dec 10 1:28 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Thu Dec 10 12:59 pm
Zwak wrote:
Thu Dec 10 6:51 am
Russo has an amazing article in The Athletic today about Mark Parrish and his battle with drugs and alcohol. A must read.

https://theathletic.com/2247132/2020/12 ... -recovery/

Kudos for Parrish getting help and to Ben Clymer for his help.
Can I read this article without subscribing to The Atlantic? Otherwise this link is not useful.
The Athletic gives it's subscribers 30 day "guest passes" to give out to people, I'll PM you
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

Post Reply