Local Broadcasting/Media

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by gopher6 » Tue Mar 30 1:25 pm

So with Bally’s taking over FSN broadcasting can we be lucky and no longer have Lapanta on our broadcasts?

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 475 times

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Mar 30 1:32 pm

gopher6 wrote:
Tue Mar 30 1:25 pm
So with Bally’s taking over FSN broadcasting can we be lucky and no longer have Lapanta on our broadcasts?
Sinclair just sold the naming rights for FSN to Ballys. No ownership change. Bally's will have no say in who is in the both.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 523 times

Post by Jupiter » Tue Mar 30 1:33 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Tue Mar 30 1:32 pm
gopher6 wrote:
Sinclair just sold the naming rights for FSN to Ballys. No ownership change. Bally's will have no say in who is in the both.
Correct.... Nothing changes other than the brand/name.

Zwak
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 208 times

Post by Zwak » Tue Mar 30 2:11 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Tue Mar 30 1:33 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Tue Mar 30 1:32 pm
gopher6 wrote:
Correct.... Nothing changes other than the brand/name.
Michael Rand had Mike Dimond from FSN/Bally Sports Network on his podcast today. Mike is a senior vp and gm for FSN. Gave some good insights on the branding change and also the issues with FSN and streaming services.

https://www.startribune.com/fsn-to-ball ... 600040208/

An interesting nugget is that there are 5 days where the Wild, Twins, and Wolves play at the same time. CW23 (over the air channel) is going to be branded as Bally Sports Extra on those days and will broadcast the 5 Wolves games
GPL's official source of trivia.

Chris83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 144 times

Post by Chris83 » Thu Apr 01 10:57 pm

I don't have access to "Bollywood Sports North" or whatever it's going by nowadays. Saw the Wild game vs Vegas was NBCSN, tuned over and got the "This program is blocked in your area". I'm so over the draconian blackout rules for TV sports. Twins, Wild and whatever else is on BSN, see 'ya. It's become so impossible to view my local teams, the time to tap out is here. It's incredible that we're in the year 2021 and it was easier to see the Twins and the local NHL team with the antenna on my parents' roof and 4 channels than it is now. Obviously no one gives 2 sh*ts about me as a fan and consumer and the feeling is more than mutual.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

D2D
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 493 times
Been liked: 167 times

Post by D2D » Thu Apr 01 11:20 pm

As I (still) get all the cable channels and am able to watch the Wild, the Twins, the Gophs, etc I can't really complain, other than the added cost to my monthly cable bill. However there will come a time when I say "screw it" and cancel all of these online subscriptions and just read about what happened here.
Longing for the "kitten that roared".
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 83 times

Post by fightclub30 » Thu Apr 01 11:24 pm

Chris83 wrote:
Thu Apr 01 10:57 pm
I don't have access to "Bollywood Sports North" or whatever it's going by nowadays. Saw the Wild game vs Vegas was NBCSN, tuned over and got the "This program is blocked in your area". I'm so over the draconian blackout rules for TV sports. Twins, Wild and whatever else is on BSN, see 'ya. It's become so impossible to view my local teams, the time to tap out is here. It's incredible that we're in the year 2021 and it was easier to see the Twins and the local NHL team with the antenna on my parents' roof and 4 channels than it is now. Obviously no one gives 2 sh*ts about me as a fan and consumer and the feeling is more than mutual.
I'm masking my IP address to get NBCSN to work tonight.

Stealing my Dad's xfinity login other nights. I don't use it for anything but FSN, or whatever the F it's called now.

Balls sports, the stupid logo looks like the walgreens "w" turned on its side. Same colors too

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 272 times

Post by Beauner » Thu Apr 01 11:29 pm

I get a sneaking feeling that, at least in the states where sports gambling is legal, Ballys is going to push Sinclair to settle up (which I assume means everywhere else gets settled up) because they're going to want people to be able to make bets via an app. Not sure when that will happen but I would not be surprised at all if they announce an app that allows real-time sports betting and they have real-time odds on the scroll etc.

More viewers means more bets, more bets means more money.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Sioux/Bucky Hater
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Sioux/Bucky Hater » Fri Apr 02 10:24 am

Chris83 wrote:
DirecTV will show you what you want to see.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 97 times

Post by Norm » Fri Apr 02 11:18 am

Chris83 wrote:
It's incredible that we're in the year 2021 and it was easier to see the Twins and the local NHL team with the antenna on my parents' roof and 4 channels than it is now.
Ditto. I grew up in the '60s. My brother and I used to walk over to our grandparents to watch the Twins cause they had a UHF antenna and got 4,5,9,&11 while we had only ch12 from Mankato.

Chris83
Golden
Golden

Post by Chris83 » Fri Apr 02 11:21 am

Whioux/Bucky Hater wrote:
Fri Apr 02 10:24 am
Chris83 wrote:
Unfortunately for this option, I live out a bit and in a heavily wooded area. We can't get a good line of sight for the DirecTV satellite. Their techs have been out and tried previously.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Sioux/Bucky Hater
Golden
Golden

Post by Sioux/Bucky Hater » Fri Apr 02 11:25 am

Chris83 wrote:
Fri Apr 02 11:21 am
Chris83 wrote:
Unfortunately for this option, I live out a bit and in a heavily wooded area. We can't get a good line of sight for the DirecTV satellite. Their techs have been out and tried previously.
Bummer. Same thing happened with my parents place.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 1004 times
Been liked: 629 times

Post by Greyeagle » Fri Apr 02 12:03 pm

Chris83 wrote:
It's :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: time!! :)
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Chris83
Golden
Golden

Post by Chris83 » Fri Apr 02 12:19 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Fri Apr 02 12:03 pm
Chris83 wrote:
It's :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: time!! :)
No doubt that tree removal for enhanced sports viewing would go over quite well with Miss Tamara. I would then be seeing if DirecTV could outfit my van down by the river. :lol:

fightclub30
Golden
Golden

Post by fightclub30 » Fri Apr 02 12:30 pm

Chris83 wrote:
And then I have to rent a "box" for each TV I want to watch it on at $8.00+ per month. And then they refuse to upgrade them when they are obsolete without paying a $300 installation/upgrade fee. If I move a box from TV to TV it takes 10 minutes for the box to re-boot itself every time.

On top of getting 95% of what we watch for $70/month with YouTubeTV and I can watch on as many devices as I want versus $150/month+ for DirecTV.

I am not willing to double my TV bill just for FSN.

Sioux/Bucky Hater
Golden
Golden

Post by Sioux/Bucky Hater » Fri Apr 02 12:47 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Fri Apr 02 12:30 pm
Chris83 wrote:
And then I have to rent a "box" for each TV I want to watch it on at $8.00+ per month. And then they refuse to upgrade them when they are obsolete without paying a $300 installation/upgrade fee. If I move a box from TV to TV it takes 10 minutes for the box to re-boot itself every time.

On top of getting 95% of what we watch for $70/month with YouTubeTV and I can watch on as many devices as I want versus $150/month+ for DirecTV.

I am not willing to double my TV bill just for FSN.
Hey, I never said it was cheep. I have many gripes about them myself. That said, they have what I want. Recently, I gave them a couple of my gripes. They dropped $50 a month off my bill. Not one time, but ongoing. For that, I will likely continue to use them for awhile.

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Fri Apr 02 12:58 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Chris83 wrote:
And then I have to rent a "box" for each TV I want to watch it on at $8.00+ per month. And then they refuse to upgrade them when they are obsolete without paying a $300 installation/upgrade fee.
What's with the $8 box per TV? We have Dish TV and have only one box that runs 2 TVs.

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by Kelly Red » Fri Apr 02 1:16 pm

Norm wrote:
Fri Apr 02 12:58 pm
fightclub30 wrote:
Chris83 wrote:
And then I have to rent a "box" for each TV I want to watch it on at $8.00+ per month. And then they refuse to upgrade them when they are obsolete without paying a $300 installation/upgrade fee.
What's with the $8 box per TV? We have Dish TV and have only one box that runs 2 TVs.
Same here, one box-two TVs. And the last time they replaced a box I wasn’t charged $300!
Honestly I’m surprised the road to Hell is paved at all.
-blatant steal from Twitter

fightclub30
Golden
Golden

Post by fightclub30 » Fri Apr 02 2:50 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Fri Apr 02 1:16 pm
Norm wrote:
Fri Apr 02 12:58 pm
fightclub30 wrote:
Chris83 wrote:
Same here, one box-two TVs. And the last time they replaced a box I wasn’t charged $300!
Something must've changed. We had DirecTV and then Dish. Both charged rental fees on their boxes. Dish with "Joeys" and DirecTV with "Genies." So to watch on 3 TVs, we paid $16/month for the 2nd and 3rd TVs. Plus all the other fees they had. So our Advertised rate of $99.99/month was actually close to $150 after taxes and fees.

With DirecTV our equipment turned obsolete, they wouldn't send me new boxes. They wanted to send someone out to replace them and set them up. I called in several times about pricing and was never offered a discount even when I actually did cancel.

Directly from their website:
Additional Fees & Taxes: Price excludes $10/mo. internet equipment fee, Regional Sports Fee of up to $9.99/mo. (which is extra & applies to CHOICE and/or MÁS ULTRA and higher Pkgs.), applicable use tax expense surcharge on retail value of installation, custom installation, equipment upgrades/add-ons (min. $99 one-time & $7/mo. monthly fees for each extra receiver/DIRECTV Ready TV/Device), and certain other add’l fees & charges. See att.com/directvfees for additional details. Different offers may apply for eligible multi-dwelling unit customers.
https://www.att.com/buy/bundles

Go down to "Step 3 - How many TVs are you connecting?" 2nd TV is $7 per month, 3rd is another $7 per month ($14 total).

ex_goldy
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 12 times

Post by ex_goldy » Fri Apr 02 3:15 pm

Now they have the streaming direct tv app which works if your internet is capable. It’s expensive if you have poor internet like the rural folks since they have to buy the boxes and use satellite. I dropped direct tv years ago but I was able to buy boxes from ex users and connect them and avoid the 2 year contract that went with new equipment. They did charge for HD and recording services on them back then. It was expensive and per device.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Apr 02 3:41 pm

I have had DirecTV for 25 years. It is true that they nickel and dime you to death. Yes, they are expensive. That said, I weigh the price to value. We get the sports pack added on, with most of the regional networks that allows us to see other college hockey games on NESN, Altitude, NBC Sports Chicago etc. We don't have any other streaming services ( Netflix etc) and we have a basic cell phones, so the money we save on that stuff makes paying more for DirecTV a little easier to swallow. Every few years when their price gets out of hand, I will call and say I'm going to drop part of their service, and I end up getting money taken off.

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 211 times

Post by Karlsson » Tue Apr 06 2:56 pm

How long are my Fox Sports Go apps going to work?

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Apr 06 3:01 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Tue Apr 06 2:56 pm
How long are my Fox Sports Go apps going to work?
This is what I found--
What will your new app be called and when will it launch?

A: The Bally Sports app will launch this spring. The new Bally Sports app is in the final stages of development and we can’t wait to bring you this new game viewing experience. In the meantime, you can continue streaming on FOX Sports GO until the transition to the new app is complete. Once the Bally Sports app becomes widely available, the FOX Sports GO app will update to the all-new Bally Sports app

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 211 times

Post by Karlsson » Tue Apr 06 3:19 pm

That's nice. I was hoping they'd push it through as an update. I'll stop periodically searching for a Bally's app now.

gopher6
Veteran

Post by gopher6 » Wed Apr 07 8:46 am

So with the crowds now allowed at games will the local voices of broadcasts be allowed to travel and broadcast from road games?

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 193 times

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Mon Apr 12 1:45 pm

Noooo, we don't need more people on the North Shore... They will last until the winter lol.
This Midwest city is becoming a safe haven for climate refugees
Loserville, USA
110 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by g-manpuck » Mon Apr 12 2:21 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Mon Apr 12 1:45 pm
Noooo, we don't need more people on the North Shore... They will last until the winter lol.
This Midwest city is becoming a safe haven for climate refugees
An interesting story, but I noticed that the author really glanced over the climate migrant shift of those from the upper midwest to the south. It would be interesting to see a study done on what that ratio is to the ones moving to the upper midwest to escape the coastal climate issues. My guess would be much higher of us moving there than them moving here. Like you said, give them until winter. My sister who lives in the valley in LA will never visit in winter, I told her that she didn't need to go out of her way to visit just for me! :mrgreen:
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 440 times
Been liked: 600 times

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Apr 12 2:29 pm

Get used to it. There will be more people EVERYWHERE at the rate humans continue to reproduce. They have to go somewhere. 😆

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Orion » Mon Apr 12 3:48 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Apr 12 2:29 pm
Get used to it. There will be more people EVERYWHERE at the rate humans continue to reproduce. They have to go somewhere. 😆
They still won't want to live in Grand Forks.

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Mon Apr 12 3:56 pm

Orion wrote:
Mon Apr 12 3:48 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Apr 12 2:29 pm
They still won't want to live in Grand Forks.
Or St Cloud
Loserville, USA
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Thu Apr 15 6:37 pm

I recall the 96.3 and 97.1 changing formats but was surprised to hear then whole driving today.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 297 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by The Rube » Thu Apr 15 8:23 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Thu Apr 15 6:37 pm
I recall the 96.3 and 97.1 changing formats but was surprised to hear then whole driving today.
I have to reset all my "favorites" in my car. Grrr. (The Christian stations)
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Apr 15 9:06 pm

The Rube wrote:
Thu Apr 15 8:23 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:
Thu Apr 15 6:37 pm
I have to reset all my "favorites" in my car. Grrr. (The Christian stations)
Yep I had to do that today too.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Apr 16 8:50 am

Laffer will be on BTP on Saturday.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Tue Apr 20 7:02 pm

Yeah... I do not need any mention of the the big trial here. Just not worth it.

Posts removed.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Apr 27 12:04 pm

Turner Sports gets the other part of the NHL package. It will be interesting if they develop a pregame show similar to their basketball show and how many of the current NBC hockey people end up there.

gopher6
Veteran

Post by gopher6 » Thu Apr 29 6:00 pm

Gerby to be on Burrito right now

Zwak

Post by Zwak » Sat May 01 7:10 pm

Nice Reusse column about Mark Rosen and his wife

https://www.startribune.com/rosey-and-t ... 600052564/

gopher6
Veteran

Post by gopher6 » Mon May 03 1:05 pm

With Bally’s is it possible for the Twinkies,Wild,Timberwolves to either get Bally’s to resume coverage on the providers that FSN had before the purchase, or null and void their current contract with Bally’s

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Mon May 03 1:08 pm

gopher6 wrote:
Mon May 03 1:05 pm
With Bally’s is it possible for the Twinkies,Wild,Timberwolves to either get Bally’s to resume coverage on the providers that FSN had before the purchase, or null and void their current contract with Bally’s
I was told it's just a name change, nothing will change with coverage.

gopher6
Veteran

Post by gopher6 » Mon May 03 1:31 pm

But why since name change so many people not able to watch their teams on there local tv other then Comcast?

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Mon May 03 1:37 pm

This is all on the owner Sinclair.

Zwak

Post by Zwak » Mon May 03 1:45 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Mon May 03 1:37 pm
This is all on the owner Sinclair.
Correct. Bally's simply has the naming rights Nothing else.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon May 03 7:15 pm

gopher6 wrote:
No. Sinclair Broadcasting owns Ballys. Sinclair is the one not negotiating with the various TV providers.

gopher6
Veteran

Post by gopher6 » Tue May 04 6:30 am

Beauner wrote:
Mon May 03 7:15 pm
gopher6 wrote:
No. Sinclair Broadcasting owns Ballys. Sinclair is the one not negotiating with the various TV providers.
Ok back to original question can’t they all team up and void the contract with Sinclair?

Zwak

Post by Zwak » Tue May 04 7:48 am

gopher6 wrote:
Tue May 04 6:30 am
Beauner wrote:
gopher6 wrote:
Ok back to original question can’t they all team up and void the contract with Sinclair?
And then what? Who do the teams go to to broadcast their games? I'm going to bet there's pretty ironclad language in those contracts. The fact is that BSN is available on some services just not as many as people would like (myself included).

MNNavy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by MNNavy » Tue May 04 8:02 am

Zwak wrote:
Tue May 04 7:48 am
gopher6 wrote:
Beauner wrote:
gopher6 wrote:
And then what? Who do the teams go to to broadcast their games? I'm going to bet there's pretty ironclad language in those contracts. The fact is that BSN is available on some services just not as many as people would like (myself included).
Precisely. Their options are:
1) Stay with Sinclair/Bally's - at least they're still being televised, just not on the streaming services.
2) Break the contract, and have ZERO games televised.
3) Break the contract and start their own network. Guaranteed, that option would cost MORE, and garner fewer sets of eyes than their current situation.
"It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance." - Thomas Sowell
"Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." - Sir Winston Churchill

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 454 times
Been liked: 170 times

Post by Steve MN » Tue May 04 9:27 am

MNNavy wrote:
Tue May 04 8:02 am
Zwak wrote:
Tue May 04 7:48 am
gopher6 wrote:
Beauner wrote:
gopher6 wrote:
Precisely. Their options are:
1) Stay with Sinclair/Bally's - at least they're still being televised, just not on the streaming services.
2) Break the contract, and have ZERO games televised.
3) Break the contract and start their own network. Guaranteed, that option would cost MORE, and garner fewer sets of eyes than their current situation.
And, of course, I can pretty much guarantee that if they actually can break that contract, there would be some hefty penalties involved, so even more costs.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Tue May 04 10:25 am

The Twins tried option 3. It flopped.

ex_goldy
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 12 times

Post by ex_goldy » Tue May 04 11:10 am

With some searching you can find a free stream and they don’t have the technology yet to block it. But I don’t put the effort in to even look for them anymore. If they looked at the entire league how would teams survive in down years? It’s so short sighted. I’m reduced to bandwagon fan status, if the Wild make it to national coverage then I’ll watch.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Tue May 04 11:26 am

Norm wrote:
Tue May 04 10:25 am
The Twins tried option 3. It flopped.
Yeah Victory Sports One lasted all of 190 days. Launched Halloween 2003 and shut down May 8, 2004. They tried to copy what the Yankees did with YES Network but were charging more than any of the major cable or satellite provider would carry.
They immediately re-signed a deal with FSN and have remained with them since.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by streakygopher » Wed May 05 10:04 am

Ah, give me the days of Midwest Sports Channel with pre-game analysis, special interest stories, and post game interviews with players and coaches.

Watching Gopher hockey on the Big10 Network by comparison just sucks. They more often than not start the game late, cutting right into game play 5 minutes into the first period and when the game ends, it's like somebody tripped over power cord. They can't break away fast enough.

Laxref
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 48 times

Post by Laxref » Wed May 05 10:16 am

streakygopher wrote:
Wed May 05 10:04 am
Ah, give me the days of Midwest Sports Channel with pre-game analysis, special interest stories, and post game interviews with players and coaches.

Watching Gopher hockey on the Big10 Network by comparison just sucks. They more often than not start the game late, cutting right into game play 5 minutes into the first period and when the game ends, it's like somebody tripped over power cord. They can't break away fast enough.
Big Ten network did a half hour pregame show before the BADgers game for the tournament title. Did anyone watch it?? Probably not.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Wed May 05 10:21 am

streakygopher wrote:

I do not recall MSC doing much of this, but I know that FSN did a TON of it back in the day.

You need to realize that the B10 Network has A LOT more to cover than just one market and a handful of sports like FSN/BSN does. So they have very little flexibility compared to FSN/BSN. Starting late, cutting away... That is the deal when you have a national network with tons of different sports covering 14 schools.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by streakygopher » Wed May 05 11:03 am

Jupiter wrote:
Wed May 05 10:21 am
streakygopher wrote:

I do not recall MSC doing much of this, but I know that FSN did a TON of it back in the day.

You need to realize that the B10 Network has A LOT more to cover than just one market and a handful of sports like FSN/BSN does. So they have very little flexibility compared to FSN/BSN. Starting late, cutting away... That is the deal when you have a national network with tons of different sports covering 14 schools.
I understand the commitments the Big10 has. I just liked the old days of more coverage - and local coverage - better. :wink:
You could be right that FSN did it more in the beginning, but I thought MSC did too.

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Wed May 05 12:47 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Wed May 05 11:03 am
Jupiter wrote:
streakygopher wrote:

I understand the commitments the Big10 has. I just liked the old days of more coverage - and local coverage - better. :wink:
You could be right that FSN did it more in the beginning, but I thought MSC did too.
Those 1/2 hour pregame shows with interviews definitely made me feel a connection to the players.

gopher6
Veteran

Post by gopher6 » Wed May 05 1:13 pm

Jupiter wrote:
streakygopher wrote:

They should start the 1st game of the day 1/2 hr or 1 hr earlier so the 2nd game can be shown without having coverage issues

Laxref
Golden
Golden

Post by Laxref » Wed May 05 1:36 pm

gopher6 wrote:
Wed May 05 1:13 pm
Jupiter wrote:
streakygopher wrote:

They should start the 1st game of the day 1/2 hr or 1 hr earlier so the 2nd game can be shown without having coverage issues
And then the number of games they show will decrease, I get you probably don’t care about a Purdue-Northwestern basketball game but when it does a number 11 times higher than what a hockey game will get, your voice won’t matter until hockey actually gets better ratings than the Big Ten gymnastics meet.

MNNavy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by MNNavy » Wed May 05 3:15 pm

gopher6 wrote:
Jupiter wrote:
streakygopher wrote:

I would be happy if they would just use the technology available to cater their programming to show games of regional interest. We all know the technology is available, because Fox and CBS do it all the time with the NFL.
"It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance." - Thomas Sowell
"Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." - Sir Winston Churchill

Laxref
Golden
Golden

Post by Laxref » Wed May 05 3:17 pm

MNNavy wrote:
Wed May 05 3:15 pm
gopher6 wrote:
Jupiter wrote:
streakygopher wrote:

I would be happy if they would just use the technology available to cater their programming to show games of regional interest. We all know the technology is available, because Fox and CBS do it all the time with the NFL.
It’s available, hell big ten network uses it for football, I’ve heard the cost is massive tho, so no chance they use an alternate channel for hockey, that would be amazing but it won’t happen.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 304 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by Vegoe » Wed May 05 4:25 pm

Norm wrote:
Wed May 05 12:47 pm
Those 1/2 hour pregame shows with interviews definitely made me feel a connection to the players.
Would you accept them making the radio pregame a little more video friendly and letting that be your pregame show? It's what I listen to before every game.

Laxref
Golden
Golden

Post by Laxref » Wed May 05 5:08 pm

Nanne was on Barriero yesterday talking about how the Stars/Twins had their own network?? (Spectrum Sports??)Then Pohlad took over the Twins, Twins won world championship Pohlads first year, Stars missed playoffs and Pohlad bought out of the contract, Nanne said if he hadn’t done that the network would still be in business and would have the gophers and Timberwolves on it. Now I know Lou likes to talk, but still kinda interesting I thought.

Zwak

Post by Zwak » Wed May 05 5:12 pm

Laxref wrote:
Wed May 05 5:08 pm
Nanne was on Barriero yesterday talking about how the Stars/Twins had their own network?? (Spectrum Sports??)Then Pohlad took over the Twins, Twins won world championship Pohlads first year, Stars missed playoffs and Pohlad bought out of the contract, Nanne said if he hadn’t done that the network would still be in business and would have the gophers and Timberwolves on it. Now I know Lou likes to talk, but still kinda interesting I thought.
I remember Spectrum from back in the day (1983?). They broadcast the Stars games but I don’t remember Twins games. Spectrum eventually became channel 23.

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Wed May 05 5:27 pm

Laxref wrote:
Wed May 05 5:08 pm
Nanne said if he hadn’t done that the network would still be in business and would have the gophers and Timberwolves on it. Now I know Lou likes to talk, but still kinda interesting I thought.
Come on like anyone can know this
Loserville, USA

Zwak

Post by Zwak » Wed May 05 7:06 pm

Dumb question here. On the Bally Sports Roku App I have the choice of watching the “Channel Stream” or the “Game Stream”. What’s the difference?

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Wed May 05 7:11 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Wed May 05 4:25 pm
Norm wrote:
Wed May 05 12:47 pm
Would you accept them making the radio pregame a little more video friendly and letting that be your pregame show? It's what I listen to before every game.
Sure! I don't think we can expect any more.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 454 times
Been liked: 170 times

Post by Steve MN » Wed May 05 9:05 pm

Zwak wrote:
Wed May 05 7:06 pm
Dumb question here. On the Bally Sports Roku App I have the choice of watching the “Channel Stream” or the “Game Stream”. What’s the difference?
Looks like it's to be sure you get the whole game. Found this on Reddit:

"Channel Stream is your 24/7 live feed. The Channel Stream is regularly programmed feed, this includes games, events, and paid programming. Game Stream is a new feature that allows you to watch your team games in full from start to finish. The Game Stream allows you to watch without the worry of broadcasts cutting to their regularly scheduled programming. When there is a Live Game on the Channel Stream you will have the option to switch to the Game Stream to get the full experience."

I am seeing some comments that their app on Roku needs help, with Audio/Video not synced and other issues.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Zwak

Post by Zwak » Thu May 06 8:03 am

Steve MN wrote:
Wed May 05 9:05 pm
Zwak wrote:
Wed May 05 7:06 pm
Looks like it's to be sure you get the whole game. Found this on Reddit:

"Channel Stream is your 24/7 live feed. The Channel Stream is regularly programmed feed, this includes games, events, and paid programming. Game Stream is a new feature that allows you to watch your team games in full from start to finish. The Game Stream allows you to watch without the worry of broadcasts cutting to their regularly scheduled programming. When there is a Live Game on the Channel Stream you will have the option to switch to the Game Stream to get the full experience."

I am seeing some comments that their app on Roku needs help, with Audio/Video not synced and other issues.
Thanks!!!!

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Mon May 10 7:21 pm

ESPN adds a couple of new hires for their hockey coverage.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed May 12 4:03 pm

Looks like the key to a long life is working for the Strib.

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Wed May 12 4:13 pm

This chick gained a lot of crushes across the internet after this
Loserville, USA

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Fri May 14 3:10 pm

Great story on Kurtz, with an interesting tie to Gopher Hockey
Traveling with the Spartans hockey team to play the Gophers at Mariucci Arena, Kurtz fell in love with Minneapolis, so much that he subscribed to the Star Tribune via mail. One day in the paper, he spotted an ad by then-independent Channel 9 seeking new sports announcers.

Kurtz sent in his tape and got the play-by-play job calling North Stars games at the end of the 1978-79 season. The station liked him so much they immediately added him to the Twins broadcast schedule, which then consisted of about 50 games - almost all of them on the road.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Sat May 15 9:57 pm

Having a discussion with some friends and we realize we have no idea how much the local radio personalities make. Does anyone have an idea how much they make a year? On advertisements?

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat May 15 11:23 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Sat May 15 9:57 pm
Having a discussion with some friends and we realize we have no idea how much the local radio personalities make. Does anyone have an idea how much they make a year? On advertisements?
I'd imagine the main personalities on KFAN make quite a bit on advertisements/endorsements. I heard somewhere a few years back that their base salary is in the 45-50k range and I'd guess the big personalities (Hawkey/Cove/Meatsauce/PA/Common/Barreiro) all probably match that at least in endorsements, and probably surpass it. I'd have to assume the side kick/producers (Nordo/Tenna B/Gaard) are probably a step or two behind that on endorsement deals.

I'd assume the KFAN personalities are making the most in the MN radio game at this point since they are routinely rated among the highest channels in the country (IIRC KFAN has been the highest rated sports talk network in the nation for the majority of the last 18 months.

gopher6
Veteran

Post by gopher6 » Sun May 16 10:10 am

I was hearing on Kfan this am that Parise is not suiting up for todays Wild game