Local Broadcasting/Media

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 323 times
Been liked: 121 times

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Steve MN » Tue Sep 29 8:39 pm

davescharf wrote:
Tue Sep 29 7:11 pm
YouTube TV is losing the Fox Regional Sports Networks on October 1st. Looks like I’ll be looking for a new streaming service.

Google has managed to take another fantastic product and find a way to screw it up. They’ve turned it into another Comcast/DirecTV complete with frequent price increases and a bunch on channels no one wants to watch
As much as that kind of thing bugs me, there wouldn't be so many different companies doing the same thing if it didn't make them money.

I do really wish there was a way to put together my own package of the dozen or so channels I actually care to watch and skip everything else.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by The Rube » Tue Sep 29 9:19 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Tue Sep 29 8:39 pm
davescharf wrote:
YouTube TV is losing the Fox Regional Sports Networks on October 1st. Looks like I’ll be looking for a new streaming service.

Google has managed to take another fantastic product and find a way to screw it up. They’ve turned it into another Comcast/DirecTV complete with frequent price increases and a bunch on channels no one wants to watch
As much as that kind of thing bugs me, there wouldn't be so many different companies doing the same thing if it didn't make them money.

I do really wish there was a way to put together my own package of the dozen or so channels I actually care to watch and skip everything else.
It was basically called Playstation Vue. And that service is no longer here.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

skiier32
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by skiier32 » Wed Sep 30 8:22 am

The Rube wrote:
Tue Sep 29 9:19 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Tue Sep 29 8:39 pm
davescharf wrote:

It was basically called Playstation Vue. And that service is no longer here.
For those of us that want FSN North what is the best streaming option now? Hulu Live?

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by Orion » Wed Sep 30 8:46 am

Hulu seems to be the only option now. FSN is having issues with everyone. Gotta wonder how long they can keep that up.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 432 times

Post by Jupiter » Wed Sep 30 9:41 am

The issue is that the regional networks are no longer owned by Fox or Disney.... Those entities had power to force packages for other channels they have all at once. The new owner, Sinclair, just doesn't wield that kind of power. On top of this is that now that the regional networks have so much less clout, the TV contracts could really take a nose dive. Those networks will just NOT be able to pass along the costs to the subscribers like they could when they were owned by media giants.

So basically this is all going to come to a huge turning point in sports in the next few years... Networks like FSN will just not be able to pay the high prices for exclusive rights to MLB and NHL teams. Will teams like the Twins and Wild move to another network that has the funds to keep them happy? Or will those teams have to take a discount? So much change could be coming.

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by gopherguy13 » Wed Sep 30 3:56 pm

Yesterday, we broke the news that YouTube TV will be dropping Sinclair-owned FOX regional sports networks on Thursday, October 1. Today, Sinclair responded to the discontinuation of the networks on the streaming service.

“While we are disappointed that YouTube will discontinue carriage of the RSNs, we remain in discussions in an effort to find a mutually acceptable path to returning the RSNs to YouTube TV,” stated Barry Faber, Sinclair’s President Distribution & Network Relations. “We intend to keep the public informed as to the progress of these discussions so that YouTube TV subscribers can make informed decisions regarding how to view the extremely popular programming carried on these RSNs.”
I'll give YouTubeTV a few months to see if they can negotiate anything. But yeah it's getting real tiring having to do this song and dance every 6-12 months.
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 124 times

Post by Norm » Wed Sep 30 4:18 pm

gopherguy13 wrote:
Wed Sep 30 3:56 pm
Yesterday, we broke the news that YouTube TV will be dropping Sinclair-owned FOX regional sports networks on Thursday, October 1. Today, Sinclair responded to the discontinuation of the networks on the streaming service.

“While we are disappointed that YouTube will discontinue carriage of the RSNs, we remain in discussions in an effort to find a mutually acceptable path to returning the RSNs to YouTube TV,” stated Barry Faber, Sinclair’s President Distribution & Network Relations. “We intend to keep the public informed as to the progress of these discussions so that YouTube TV subscribers can make informed decisions regarding how to view the extremely popular programming carried on these RSNs.”
I'll give YouTubeTV a few months to see if they can negotiate anything. But yeah it's getting real tiring having to do this song and dance every 6-12 months.
I'd like to know how long Direct TV has FSN tied up for? I'm thinking of switching to them, but I fear the same thing will happen.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 987 times
Been liked: 670 times

Post by Greyeagle » Wed Sep 30 4:26 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Wed Sep 30 9:41 am
So basically this is all going to come to a huge turning point in sports in the next few years... Networks like FSN will just not be able to pay the high prices for exclusive rights to MLB and NHL teams. Will teams like the Twins and Wild move to another network that has the funds to keep them happy? Or will those teams have to take a discount? So much change could be coming.
Interesting. What was the network the Twins tried to launch many years ago? Wonder if we will see something like that in the near future but with a more unified front from the Twins, Wild, & 'wolves?
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 199 times

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Sep 30 4:29 pm

I doubt you'd ever get a unified front... I expect the future of watching Gopher hockey to be a subscription for either them or the conference, and the future of pro sports to be the same. The team, or the league. Streaming.

I don't have one but Vikings games you can probably watch with antenna?
Loserville, USA
108 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Butters Stotch
Rookie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Butters Stotch » Wed Sep 30 4:39 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Wed Sep 30 4:26 pm
Jupiter wrote:
Wed Sep 30 9:41 am
Interesting. What was the network the Twins tried to launch many years ago? Wonder if we will see something like that in the near future but with a more unified front from the Twins, Wild, & 'wolves?
I think it was called Victory Sports One Network.
Last edited by Butters Stotch on Wed Sep 30 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Sep 30 4:41 pm

Butters Stotch wrote:
Wed Sep 30 4:39 pm

I think it was called Victory Network.
Lol no wonder it failed if the Twins called it that.
Loserville, USA
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 500 times

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Sep 30 7:17 pm

Norm wrote:
Wed Sep 30 4:18 pm
gopherguy13 wrote:
Wed Sep 30 3:56 pm

I'd like to know how long Direct TV has FSN tied up for? I'm thinking of switching to them, but I fear the same thing will happen.
We switched to Spectrum when Dish stopped carrying fsn. No complaints thus far other than I don’t get NHL network in the package I have but should have all the potential channels for Gopher hockey (in non-covid times at least) and still have Fox channels.

It’s also been nice to be able to watch TV during a storm which we could never do before.

Laxref
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by Laxref » Wed Sep 30 8:19 pm

It seems like the NHL and NBA won’t begin again until they can fill their arenas. If that’s the case college hockey could get lots of attention and airtime if it decided to hold a bunch of games in November/December. I wonder if FSN would be all in on college hockey looking for some sore of live programming if they don’t have wild and wolves games to air.

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by gopher6 » Sun Oct 04 10:32 am

so with the Patriots Chiefs game moved to Monday night we get 2 games for Monday Night football 👌
one on CBS and one on ESPN
Last edited by gopher6 on Sun Oct 04 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Oct 04 12:43 pm

davescharf wrote:

Why? What’s there to watch on FSN right now?
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Sun Oct 18 2:11 pm

According to Chad Hartman's Twitter, Sid Hartman has passed.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 321 times

Post by Beauner » Sun Oct 18 2:15 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Sun Oct 18 2:11 pm
Yep PA just announced it during the Vikings broadcast.
100 years old. Hell of a life he lived.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Sun Oct 18 2:30 pm

He had a column in TODAY’S paper.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Oct 18 2:55 pm

75 years worth of columns. Wrote his first article in 1945. What a career.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Oct 18 2:57 pm

Wow. Was not expecting that news. Awesome career. Hell of a guy.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 96 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Sun Oct 18 3:00 pm

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Sun Oct 18 3:01 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Sun Oct 18 3:00 pm
If one uses 65 as the standard retirement age Sid should have retired when I was a senior in high school in 1985.

Iceburg
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Iceburg » Sun Oct 18 3:36 pm

I wonder if I could make a few bucks selling “I outlived Sid” tee shirts.

Retired Thread Police

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Been liked: 148 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Sun Oct 18 3:46 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Sun Oct 18 3:01 pm
Snowcool08 wrote:
Sun Oct 18 3:00 pm
If one uses 65 as the standard retirement age Sid should have retired when I was a senior in high school in 1985.
My sister was a feature writer for the Trib for many years. I didn’t know if she even knew him personally, but I just found out literally just now, that she wrote a story about his 70th school reunion!
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by Zwak » Sun Oct 18 6:52 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Sun Oct 18 2:57 pm
Wow. Was not expecting that news. Awesome career. Hell of a guy.
He was a legend and a character. There will never be anyone like him again. He will be greatly missed.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Oct 18 9:56 pm

I’m sure most have heard the phrase “find a career you love and you’ll never work a day in your life.” I think Sid was successful in achieving that. What an incredible life he had - for probably everyone of us on this board, he’s been a part of our ENTIRE lives as sports fans.
Rest In Peace Sid.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 300 times

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Oct 19 7:23 am

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Oct 19 8:06 am

Well, that sucks. First Sid dies and now Doc retires. I feel really old today.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

gopher6
Veteran

Post by gopher6 » Mon Oct 19 4:02 pm

Chad Hartman on Kfan right now with Buritto

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Oct 19 4:27 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sun Oct 18 9:56 pm
I’m sure most have heard the phrase “find a career you love and you’ll never work a day in your life.” I think Sid was successful in achieving that. What an incredible life he had - for probably everyone of us on this board, he’s been a part of our ENTIRE lives as sports fans.
Rest In Peace Sid.
Whether you loved Sid or Loathed him...you absolutely have to respect his WORK ETHIC & Passion for his craft 👍 He was an exceptional person, a total character & a true legend!

Reg Dunlop
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Reg Dunlop » Mon Oct 19 4:29 pm

Beauner wrote:
Sun Oct 18 2:15 pm
Snowcool08 wrote:
Sun Oct 18 2:11 pm
Yep PA just announced it during the Vikings broadcast.
100 years old. Hell of a life he lived.
Geez, even Sid couldn't make it through that Vikes game.
"Let 'em know you're there!"

Thirty-four: "Reg, I gotta tell you, of all the people on the board, you are one of the five I'd like to buy a beer!" :beerchug:

Frozen Four: BSU=JBSU=LOL

gopher6
Veteran

Post by gopher6 » Tue Oct 20 8:28 am

Burrito yesterday telling the story about how after a Viking game at the dome Sid put his tape recorder in his trunk left the trunk door open and started driving away, drives over block in the road , the tape recorder flys out of the trunk.Burrito picks it up calls his boss and asks what he should do? His boss said just wait till tomorrow to return it. The next day Burrito gets a call from his boss who tells him to turn on coco, Sid is pleading for anyone who found his missing tape recorder to call WCCO. Burrito said he waited till he showed up at the Star Tribune to return it 😎

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Oct 20 11:22 am

Growing up I cherished listening to Sid and Dave on CCO on Sunday mornings. The fact that Sid was snarky to callers was radio gold. I also loved going to the library at school to read his columns in the paper. I will admit that I have not listened to his Sunday show for some time as it was just difficult to listen to. I miss listening to Ray Christensen calling Gopher sports, Hern Carneal calling Twins games, Al Shaver calling the North Stars and Sid causing chaos on the radio. Ah, the good old days. :(

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Oct 20 11:39 am

This great Sid story was in yesterday's Strib.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Bud] Grant enjoyed retelling the story of a long-ago return trip from Superior, Wis., where Bud and Sid were visiting Grant’s folks. On a brutally cold night in the middle of a deep-snow winter, Hartman’s vehicle developed a flat tire on an old, winding road back to the Twin Cities.

The spare in Sid’s trunk also was flat, which was no surprise to Grant. Stuck in the middle of nowhere at 3 o’clock in the morning, Hartman looked around, then suddenly started sprinting — directly into a snow-filled ditch, where he sunk to his waist.

“Where are you going, Sid?” asked the always stoic Grant.

“To that light,” said the often panicked Hartman.

“Long trip, Sid,” Grant said. “That’s the moon."

Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Tue Oct 20 11:40 am

gopher6 wrote:
Tue Oct 20 8:28 am
Burrito yesterday telling the story about how after a Viking game at the dome Sid put his tape recorder in his trunk left the trunk door open and started driving away, drives over block in the road , the tape recorder flys out of the trunk.Burrito picks it up calls his boss and asks what he should do? His boss said just wait till tomorrow to return it. The next day Burrito gets a call from his boss who tells him to turn on coco, Sid is pleading for anyone who found his missing tape recorder to call WCCO. Burrito said he waited till he showed up at the Star Tribune to return it 😎
Don't you think referring to Dan Barriero as Burrito is childish and unnecessary?

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Oct 20 12:46 pm

Game 5 of North Stars - Islanders will kick off at 1pm on the NHL network.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Oct 21 10:12 pm

Pat Kessler retiring from WCCO after the election, although I guess he will still free-lance.
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/10/ ... s-at-wcco/

I always enjoyed him on the Burrito show on the FAN.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by Orion » Thu Oct 22 8:16 am

Just got an email that Hulu is dropping FSN as of October 23rd.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Thu Oct 22 8:16 am

Just received this email from Hulu

“Starting on October 23, 2020 Hulu will no longer have the rights to distribute certain Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) that are currently included with your Hulu + Live TV plan.

While we were unable to reach an agreement with Sinclair Broadcast Group to continue offering channels like your Fox Sports RSN, YES Network, and Marquee Network, the good news is that you will continue to have access to a wide variety of sports from other popular channels including ESPN, TNT, and TBS, as well as FS1 and FS2.

Check out the Hulu Help Center for the full list of RSNs impacted by this news more information about what’s included in your Live TV plan or how to make changes to your subscription.

Thanks for watching, ”

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Thu Oct 22 9:00 am

This should go under "dumb questions" but how does Sinclair make money on RSNs if carriers aren't carrying their channels?

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden

Post by gopherguy13 » Thu Oct 22 9:06 am

f*** Sinclair. I'll go without watching the Twins, Wild, Gophers before giving in to them and going back to cable/satellite.

I hope the sports leagues recognize this as a turning point, and get rid of blackout rules in their next TV deals. They'd sell A LOT more subscriptions to their MLB TV's, NHL TV's, etc. if they allow people to stream home network games on those services.

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden

Post by gopherguy13 » Thu Oct 22 9:09 am

Norm wrote:
Thu Oct 22 9:00 am
This should go under "dumb questions" but how does Sinclair make money on RSNs if carriers aren't carrying their channels?
I don't think they ARE making money, which is maybe why they're trying to play hard ball with these streaming services. I've seen some talk online, people speculating that Sinclair bought these RSNs for way too much money, at exactly the wrong time, just before people started moving to streaming services.

They're hoping that people will blame the streaming services for "dropping" their favorite sports networks, forcing the streaming services to give in to their demands, and either pay the money for RSNs, or close up shop.

I'm definitely going to keep supporting YouTube TV, because I REALLY want the streaming model to work out, and for cable/satellite companies to crumble.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Oct 22 9:28 am

There was an article in the WSJ yesterday about Sinclair having to restructure their debt. They made a horrible decision buying the RSN at the price they did. I see more doom and gloom coming. Sinclair reminds me of Blockbuster Video, and I see them following the same path as they did.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Thu Oct 22 9:30 am

Where can one watch FSN right now? Any streaming services?

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Oct 22 9:42 am

Zwak wrote:
Thu Oct 22 9:30 am
It is still on DirecTv as of now.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Oct 22 9:48 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Oct 22 9:42 am
Zwak wrote:
Spectrum too.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Oct 22 9:48 am

One the same subject, how do sports bars get the RSN's? Do most have DirecTv and are unaffected? Do they get programming thru a special service for bars? You would think by not having the RSN's would hurt them as well.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Oct 22 9:52 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Oct 22 9:48 am
frozen4champs wrote:
Zwak wrote:
Spectrum too.
And that's it? No way in hell I pick up one of these in order to watch Gopher hockey. Might be BTN+ or whatever then...
Loserville, USA

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Oct 22 10:11 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Thu Oct 22 9:52 am
Cowgirl wrote:
frozen4champs wrote:
Zwak wrote:
Spectrum too.
And that's it? No way in hell I pick up one of these in order to watch Gopher hockey. Might be BTN+ or whatever then...
To each their own. I have had DirecTv for 25+ years. I know they are expensive, but they have provided the service that I wanted. I get all the RSN's, which mean I get a ton of other college hockey games. Everyone has to decide their threshold of what they are willing to spend. For us, we don't go out to eat that often unless we are in the Cities for hockey, and for us it is well worth the money.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Oct 22 10:12 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Oct 22 10:11 am
To each their own. I have had DirecTv for 25+ years. I know they are expensive, but they have provided the service that I wanted. I get all the RSN's, which mean I get a ton of other college hockey games. Everyone has to decide their threshold of what they are willing to spend. For us, we don't go out to eat that often unless we are in the Cities for hockey, and for us it is well worth the money.
I live in an apartment
Loserville, USA

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Oct 22 10:28 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Thu Oct 22 10:12 am
frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Oct 22 10:11 am
I live in an apartment
Maybe a better response would have been... since I live in an apartment those 2 options are not available for me, instead of no way in hell.... :wink:

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Oct 22 10:49 am

Details... But I do think a huge part of this state won't/can't make the switch to one of these two just for FSN. If Hulu was the last easy option to switch to, there are going to be a lot of angry people about this news.

Oh ya Comcast still has it, too? Bleh that might end up my option if I can find a good promo.
Loserville, USA

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Thu Oct 22 11:07 am

Mediacom still has FSN in the small towns out here in rural MN.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Thu Oct 22 11:16 am

I live in the metro. In the past I would switch my carrier to make sure I got FSN. Right now I’m just going to hold tight and see how the market plays out. Really want to avoid any two year contracts.

gopher6
Veteran

Post by gopher6 » Thu Oct 22 11:34 am

Zwak wrote:
Comcast

Butters Stotch
Rookie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Butters Stotch » Thu Oct 22 11:39 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Thu Oct 22 10:49 am
Details... But I do think a huge part of this state won't/can't make the switch to one of these two just for FSN. If Hulu was the last easy option to switch to, there are going to be a lot of angry people about this news.

Oh ya Comcast still has it, too? Bleh that might end up my option if I can find a good promo.
lol. I need to get my eyes checked. I had a double take because I originally read, "Bleh that might end up my option if I can find a good porno."

MNNavy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by MNNavy » Thu Oct 22 12:14 pm

Zwak wrote:
Thu Oct 22 8:16 am
Just received this email from Hulu

“Starting on October 23, 2020 Hulu will no longer have the rights to distribute certain Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) that are currently included with your Hulu + Live TV plan.

While we were unable to reach an agreement with Sinclair Broadcast Group to continue offering channels like your Fox Sports RSN, YES Network, and Marquee Network, the good news is that you will continue to have access to a wide variety of sports from other popular channels including ESPN, TNT, and TBS, as well as FS1 and FS2.

Check out the Hulu Help Center for the full list of RSNs impacted by this news more information about what’s included in your Live TV plan or how to make changes to your subscription.

Thanks for watching, ”
That's interesting. I have Hulu + Live TV, and haven't received anything from them (yet).
It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance. - Thomas Sowell

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Oct 22 12:20 pm

I guess BTN+ is not what I thought it was. It's not all the Big Ten broadcasts available (regardless of BTN, FSN, streaming only).

"BTN+ subscriptions give you access to live streaming of over 1,400 non-televised games and events produced by the Big Ten Network in partnership with the member schools of the Big Ten Conference. Look for games and events featuring the BTN+ designation on the BTN+ schedule to watch live and stream on-demand. You do not need a TV Provider to subscribe to BTN+.

(PLEASE NOTE: Live streaming of televised games is not available on BTN+. Starting August 2019, if you are looking to watch live streaming of BTN, FOX, or FS1 televised games, visit Fox Sports and login with your TV Provider.)"

So at this point it seems like the only way to watch Gopher hockey is Comcast, Directv, or other smaller cable options. Puke. Looking into if Comcast Instant TV is an option now and will report back unless someone does first.
Loserville, USA

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 410 times
Been liked: 420 times

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Oct 22 1:57 pm

You could buy season tix...oh wait.
Currently under construction.

fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 51 times

Post by fightclub30 » Thu Oct 22 2:03 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Thu Oct 22 12:20 pm
I guess BTN+ is not what I thought it was. It's not all the Big Ten broadcasts available (regardless of BTN, FSN, streaming only).

"BTN+ subscriptions give you access to live streaming of over 1,400 non-televised games and events produced by the Big Ten Network in partnership with the member schools of the Big Ten Conference. Look for games and events featuring the BTN+ designation on the BTN+ schedule to watch live and stream on-demand. You do not need a TV Provider to subscribe to BTN+.

(PLEASE NOTE: Live streaming of televised games is not available on BTN+. Starting August 2019, if you are looking to watch live streaming of BTN, FOX, or FS1 televised games, visit Fox Sports and login with your TV Provider.)"

So at this point it seems like the only way to watch Gopher hockey is Comcast, Directv, or other smaller cable options. Puke. Looking into if Comcast Instant TV is an option now and will report back unless someone does first.
I still have BTN on YouTubeTV, so I assume any Gopher Hockey game picked up by BTN, I will be able to watch?

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Oct 22 2:04 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Thu Oct 22 2:03 pm
I still have BTN on YouTubeTV, so I assume any Gopher Hockey game picked up by BTN, I will be able to watch?
Yup, but don't expect that to be all that many games even during the pandemic since the BTN doesn't love hockey (since not many people watch it).
Loserville, USA

Border Gopher
Veteran
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Border Gopher » Thu Oct 22 2:08 pm

I never knew the person that was assisting Sid during his last decade or so. Good stuff -- https://www.startribune.com/i-helped-si ... 572829892/
"A real man makes his own puck luck." - Billy Zane, Titanic

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Oct 22 4:34 pm

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 410 times
Been liked: 420 times

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Oct 22 5:13 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Oct 22 4:34 pm
Eff 4 OT.
Currently under construction.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Oct 22 6:01 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Thu Oct 22 9:52 am
Cowgirl wrote:
frozen4champs wrote:
Zwak wrote:
Spectrum too.
Comcast/Xfinity has it

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Oct 22 6:24 pm

Beauner wrote:
Thu Oct 22 6:01 pm
Comcast/Xfinity has it
I know. I'm chatting with them right now because I have comcast gig internet. Instant TV is a rip off. It would be about 50 dollars a month added to get Instant TV with the sports package that includes FSN/BTN.

Instead, I'm seeing if it's better to get a TV/Internet package. Right now it looks like that would be an additional 75 a month for the first 12 because it seems if you have gig internet your package has to include the top TV package as well... So I'd have all the channels which I don't really need.

Basically, not seeing a cheap way to get FSN/BTN.
Loserville, USA

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Oct 22 6:27 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Thu Oct 22 6:24 pm
Beauner wrote:
Thu Oct 22 6:01 pm
Comcast/Xfinity has it
I know. I'm chatting with them right now because I have comcast gig internet. Instant TV is a rip off. It would be about 50 dollars a month added to get Instant TV with the sports package that includes FSN/BTN.

Instead, I'm seeing if it's better to get a TV/Internet package. Right now it looks like that would be an additional 75 a month for the first 12 because it seems if you have gig internet your package has to include the top TV package as well... So I'd have all the channels which I don't really need.

Basically, not seeing a cheap way to get FSN/BTN.
Can you drop down from the gig internet and drop price? If you're not streaming everything you may not need that speed. I have like 350mbps internet and game on my Xbox while using my tablet to watch things and my phone to surf the internet and have 0 issues.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Oct 22 7:15 pm

Beauner wrote:
Thu Oct 22 6:27 pm
Can you drop down from the gig internet and drop price? If you're not streaming everything you may not need that speed. I have like 350mbps internet and game on my Xbox while using my tablet to watch things and my phone to surf the internet and have 0 issues.
I was able to keep my internet speed and because the offer for the middle TV tier ended up the same as the top TV tier, I went with the top TV tier. The chat offer was better than self serve. I added an additional 47.68 to my bill to add TV. Given the price increase of YTTV to 65 a month, this feels fine for me. And I can drop my 10/month F1TV subscription. If Comcast drops FSN within 30 days, I can cancel and opt back to internet only.
Loserville, USA

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Oct 22 9:23 pm

I did a cost analysis for Gopher hockey a few years ago. Avg tab for a burger and 2 beers at Old Chicago, for EVERY Gopher hockey game, I'd save $400 or so per season instead of getting Comcast. I don't mind listening on the radio, either, which I pretty much have done for the last couple of years. That choice was easy.

I don't miss watching sports. If there is a game on, where I am at, sure, but for the prices they want? No thank you.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Oct 22 9:26 pm

The Rube wrote:
Thu Oct 22 9:23 pm
I did a cost analysis for Gopher hockey a few years ago. Avg tab for a burger and 2 beers at Old Chicago, for EVERY Gopher hockey game, I'd save $400 or so per season instead of getting Comcast. I don't mind listening on the radio, either, which I pretty much have done for the last couple of years. That choice was easy.

I don't miss watching sports. If there is a game on, where I am at, sure, but for the prices they want? No thank you.
But during a pandemic going to Old Chicago and watching the game won't really be a thing. Going to Mariucci won't really be a thing. Those of us that do everything we can to watch every second of Gopher hockey are having to get creative this time.
Loserville, USA

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Oct 22 9:29 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Thu Oct 22 9:26 pm
The Rube wrote:
Thu Oct 22 9:23 pm

But during a pandemic going to Old Chicago and watching the game won't really be a thing. Going to Mariucci won't really be a thing. Those of us that do everything we can to watch every second of Gopher hockey are having to get creative this time.
It can be. Just get a reservation. BTW, I retired from OC, so now if I want to watch a game, I'd go to my local brewery. They'd definitely throw it on for me.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Oct 22 9:33 pm

The Rube wrote:
Thu Oct 22 9:29 pm
It can be. Just get a reservation. BTW, I retired from OC, so now if I want to watch a game, I'd go to my local brewery. They'd definitely throw it on for me.
Won't make it a covid discussion but I don't feel comfortable eating inside and things are only getting worse into winter.

Regardless, whatever you're comfortable with works for you and I just hope we get a season and the Gophers actually play up to and above expectations for the first time in a long time.

Side note about Comcast - going from Preferred Plus + HBO + 150Mpbs down to 1GB and back to Preferred Plus + 1GB saved 62 bucks a month from a year and a half ago. Because they are in trouble they're having to be more competitive.
Loserville, USA

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Oct 22 9:36 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Thu Oct 22 9:33 pm
The Rube wrote:
Thu Oct 22 9:29 pm
Won't make it a covid discussion but I don't feel comfortable eating inside and things are only getting worse into winter.

Regardless, whatever you're comfortable with works for you and I just hope we get a season and the Gophers actually play up to and above expectations for the first time in a long time.

Side note about Comcast - going from Preferred Plus + HBO + 150Mpbs down to 1GB and back to Preferred Plus + 1GB saved 62 bucks a month from a year and a half ago. Because they are in trouble they're having to be more competitive.
If I eat inside, it's on the rail, or with very trusted friends. I hear ya there. And that was BEFORE all this stuff. :wink:

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Fri Oct 23 10:13 am

:chainsaw:
Bonin21 wrote:
Thu Oct 22 2:04 pm
fightclub30 wrote:
Thu Oct 22 2:03 pm
Yup, but don't expect that to be all that many games even during the pandemic since the BTN doesn't love hockey (since not many people watch it).
I think you will see a lot more games on BTN this year, but it will come at a cost of a usual schedule. Wont be shocked at all to see multiple weeknight games, or afternoon Friday and Monday games scheduled around available BTN windows.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Oct 23 11:52 am

Gopherguy05 wrote:
Fri Oct 23 10:13 am
I think you will see a lot more games on BTN this year, but it will come at a cost of a usual schedule. Wont be shocked at all to see multiple weeknight games, or afternoon Friday and Monday games scheduled around available BTN windows.
I'll wait and see what "a lot more" ends up being.
Loserville, USA