Local Broadcasting/Media

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 93 times

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Snowcool08 » Sat May 30 11:02 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Sat May 30 9:35 pm
WCCO photographer arrested at Franklin and Nicollet, I believe. State patrol.
He has been released.

It has to be tough for the cops in moments like that. There are protesters and rioters who make fake credentials and flash them to police to get free. I"m sure they hear numerous times throughout the night that a reporter is with so and so network. It's almost easier to take them into custody, then verify credentials before letting them go.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times

Post by The Rube » Sat May 30 11:24 pm

Well, the protesters did the traditional Minnesota Goodbye, but they dispersed. Kudos to them, and Walz for enforcing stuff/following rules. Tonight went as well as one could have hoped for.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by team22tank » Sat May 30 11:30 pm

The Looters are massive Tools and took advantage of a situation. Tonight they got owned and they should have got owned 24-48 hours ago.

Jacob is a massive failure as he tried to appease to these criminals.

He let “his” city burn for two days.

He’s done.

kmd
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by kmd » Sun May 31 12:03 am

Not sure what that has to do with Local Broadcasting/Media, so let's stop things here.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 416 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sun May 31 2:29 am

[edit]

Gonna bite my tongue.
Currently under construction.

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 206 times

Post by Karlsson » Sun May 31 3:32 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Sun May 31 2:29 am
[edit]

Gonna bite my tongue.
Ditto.

And yes, I'm a provincial putz.

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by Zwak » Sun May 31 9:49 am

Snowcool08 wrote:
Sat May 30 11:02 pm
Karlsson wrote:
Sat May 30 9:35 pm
WCCO photographer arrested at Franklin and Nicollet, I believe. State patrol.
He has been released.

It has to be tough for the cops in moments like that. There are protesters and rioters who make fake credentials and flash them to police to get free. I"m sure they hear numerous times throughout the night that a reporter is with so and so network. It's almost easier to take them into custody, then verify credentials before letting them go.
I agree with this. I hate to see journalists get arrested but it would be very easy to fake credentials. I think it helped Mike Max last night that he is a recognizable face.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by Jupiter » Sun May 31 4:59 pm

Are ya done with the political BS?

Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Armadillo » Sun May 31 6:19 pm

Wait, I haven't expounded on the intricacies of the Liberal Party of Canada vs. Parti Quebecois!!!
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun May 31 6:21 pm

Vote for Randee! Just say whoa!

MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Bigbeer » Sun May 31 8:08 pm

Man, Mike Max is managing to put himself right in the middle of a hotspot every night.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Sun May 31 8:11 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Sun May 31 8:08 pm
Man, Mike Max is managing to put himself right in the middle of a hotspot every night.
Every time he gets in a sticky situation, I just hear Amelia's voice saying "Maxy be safe."

Armadillo
Golden
Golden

Post by Armadillo » Sun May 31 8:26 pm

They have a prime opportunity to reunite The Sports Show. Imagine Max, Reusse, Sid, and Dark Star (RIP) commentating this.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 126 times

Post by Bigbeer » Sun May 31 8:27 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Sun May 31 8:11 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
Every time he gets in a sticky situation, I just hear Amelia's voice saying "Maxy be safe."
I think he’s gotten tear gassed at some point every night.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 144 times

Post by Kelly Red » Sun May 31 8:39 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Sun May 31 8:27 pm
Snowcool08 wrote:
Bigbeer wrote:
What a great future pick up line :dup:
Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let’s go. We’re burning daylight.
-John Wayne

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Sun May 31 8:42 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Sun May 31 8:39 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
Snowcool08 wrote:
Bigbeer wrote:
“They call me Gas Max.”

Armadillo
Golden
Golden

Post by Armadillo » Sun May 31 8:46 pm

Zwak wrote:
Sun May 31 8:42 pm
Kelly Red wrote:
Sun May 31 8:39 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
Snowcool08 wrote:
Bigbeer wrote:
“They call me Gas Max.”
Probably should tweak that a bit before deploying it. :mrgreen:

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Sun May 31 11:13 pm

What I learned tonight watching the news. Gas at 38th and Chicago is $1.89. Bobby and Steve’s on Washington and 35W has it at $2.19, but you get a free car wash with a fill up. Not sure if it’s worth it.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 198 times

Post by Bonin21 » Sun May 31 11:20 pm

Do the math based on your tank size
Loserville, USA
108 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Sun May 31 11:37 pm

What about the wait? That has to be a long line.

Armadillo
Golden
Golden

Post by Armadillo » Mon Jun 01 12:37 am

That place is just so damn fascinating.

kmd
Veteran
Been liked: 4 times

Post by kmd » Mon Jun 01 2:27 am

Snowcool08 wrote:
Sun May 31 11:13 pm
What I learned tonight watching the news. Gas at 38th and Chicago is $1.89. Bobby and Steve’s on Washington and 35W has it at $2.19, but you get a free car wash with a fill up. Not sure if it’s worth it.
It's been at $1.69 for a while at the BP at Lyndale/36th.

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Mon Jun 01 8:08 am

Zwak wrote:
Sat May 30 8:56 am
gopherfun83 wrote:
Sat May 30 3:56 am
Yes I listened and have been listening to police scanner.
This is crazy that this should even be happening.
Former MPD Officer Derek Chauvin In Custody, Charged With Murder In George Floyd’s Death. After watching the video on the news this is pure evil he is a devil in my book and a waste of oxygen on this planet..Unless he is charged with 1st degree murder and the other 3 are charged this could spiral out of control around the country very quickly and is destroying the metro area here already.
I understand what you are saying but 1st degree murder charges just won’t fit. @SkiUMahLaw can correct me if I’m wrong but 1st degree murder has to show premeditation and that the person planned the murder before committing the crime.

Further charges can be added as the investigation progresses.
I would not say that first degree murder charges won't fit necessarily, but such a charge requires a great deal of evidence of intent that will be difficult to obtain, especially in a short time window. Even then, it is quite a high-risk charge, especially for a police officer-- the law does give police a lot of latitude in exercising authority, and if the cop felt threatened in any way (by the victim, or the crowd), then law generally OKs the response (Noor case, notwithstanding).

In contrast, third degree murder makes intent essentially irrelevant, and only goes to whether the response was reasonably under the circumstances. IMHO, it will be an uphill battle for the cop to get off.

GoldenRube
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 14 times

Post by GoldenRube » Mon Jun 01 8:39 am

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Mon Jun 01 8:08 am
Zwak wrote:
gopherfun83 wrote:
Former MPD Officer Derek Chauvin In Custody, Charged With Murder In George Floyd’s Death. After watching the video on the news this is pure evil he is a devil in my book and a waste of oxygen on this planet..Unless he is charged with 1st degree murder and the other 3 are charged this could spiral out of control around the country very quickly and is destroying the metro area here already.
I understand what you are saying but 1st degree murder charges just won’t fit. @SkiUMahLaw can correct me if I’m wrong but 1st degree murder has to show premeditation and that the person planned the murder before committing the crime.

I would not say that first degree murder charges won't fit necessarily, but such a charge requires a great deal of evidence of intent that will be difficult to obtain, especially in a short time window. Even then, it is quite a high-risk charge, especially for a police officer-- the law does give police a lot of latitude in exercising authority, and if the cop felt threatened in any way (by the victim, or the crowd), then law generally OKs the response (Noor case, notwithstanding).

In contrast, third degree murder makes intent essentially irrelevant, and only goes to whether the response was reasonably under the circumstances. IMHO, it will be an uphill battle for the cop to get off.
is it still an uphill battle if the autopsy report shows he didn't die of suffocation? How does the fact that Floyd had a heart condition and was maybe on drugs play into the verdict? Does it give him a chance to get off? God help us all if he's found innocent. What we've seen the past few days will be nothing compared what a not guilty verdict will incite.
No matter how badass you are, if a toddler hands you a ringing toy phone you answer it.

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by Orion » Mon Jun 01 8:56 am

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Zwak wrote:
gopherfun83 wrote:

Do you happen to know what the difference is in regards to the penalty?

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Mon Jun 01 9:00 am

GoldenRube wrote:
Mon Jun 01 8:39 am
SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Zwak wrote:
gopherfun83 wrote:

is it still an uphill battle if the autopsy report shows he didn't die of suffocation? How does the fact that Floyd had a heart condition and was maybe on drugs play into the verdict? Does it give him a chance to get off? God help us all if he's found innocent. What we've seen the past few days will be nothing compared what a not guilty verdict will incite.
The question was the use of the force technique itself. Was it reasonable under the circumstances, or was it eminently dangerous and indicative of a depraved mind? Nevermind Mr. Floyd's "eggshell skull" (term of art in law school circles indicating preexisting medical conditions), but the prosecution can show the video and stay quiet for 9 minutes (which would feel like an eternity), which would essentially indicate the action and how long it continued on for would be unreasonable for anyone. I would be surprised if any jurors think they could have survived themselves if they were under a knee for 9 minutes, because that is essentially the test. Because of that, the drugs/condition don't matter. That is not the case in 1st degree/2nd degree charges, however.

(I also heard from a former cop who thought the autopsy missed some things that would have been likely to have occurred in that situation, for what it is worth).

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Mon Jun 01 9:03 am

Orion wrote:
Mon Jun 01 8:56 am
SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Zwak wrote:
gopherfun83 wrote:

1st degree- up to life
2nd degree- up to 40 years
3rd degree- up to 25 years
Manslaughter 1- up to 15 years
Manslaughter 2- up to 10 years

Keep in mind a cop who is in prison for murder is not going to be treated kindly by fellow inmates.

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by YoungEagle » Mon Jun 01 9:44 am

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Mon Jun 01 9:03 am
Orion wrote:
SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Zwak wrote:
gopherfun83 wrote:

1st degree- up to life

Keep in mind a cop who is in prison for murder is not going to be treated kindly by fellow inmates.
If found guilty of both charges would the sentences be applied concurrently or consecutively? Is that decision made by the judge, or by the charge itself?
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Mon Jun 01 10:42 am

YoungEagle wrote:
Mon Jun 01 9:44 am
SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Mon Jun 01 9:03 am
Orion wrote:
SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Zwak wrote:
gopherfun83 wrote:

1st degree- up to life

If found guilty of both charges would the sentences be applied concurrently or consecutively? Is that decision made by the judge, or by the charge itself?
The sentencing judge has authority to apply them, but generally only the longest sentence applies.

I did hear from a friend of mine who is a prosecutor in Arizona. He believes first degree is appropriate, for what it is worth.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Mon Jun 01 10:47 am

I saw a legal analyst on TV say (and I'm paraphrasing)...good luck to that defense attorney who has to convince a jury that it was okay to kneel on a persons neck for almost 9 minutes, 2 of which he was unconscious, and by the way, he was handcuffed too.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 499 times

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Jun 01 12:52 pm

How do they even find a jury of folks who don’t know about this case and already have bias?

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 137 times

Post by Bladepuller » Mon Jun 01 2:40 pm

I would not be surprised to see a plea bargain with an out of state incarceration.
Friends who are corrections officers have seen the above happen.
Chauvin will have no potential allies in the joint since he is a now ex-cop.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

thinkbui
Veteran
Been liked: 38 times

Post by thinkbui » Mon Jun 01 2:47 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Jun 01 12:52 pm
How do they even find a jury of folks who don’t know about this case and already have bias?
I've wondered that about other recent high profile cases since it's hard to avoid even hearing about viral videos these days let alone news stories or, more importantly, hearsay that's potentially prejudicial. Would they have to settle for folks who can demonstrate a limited bias?

And even then there might be a hill to climb since I would expect a lot of folks would feel as I do and not want to be responsible for deciding such a big case, especially with all the passions it's been stoking over the last week, and would try everything they can to get themselves excused during jury selection.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"
--Gopher Hockey Cheer Chicks, 27 April 2006

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Mon Jun 01 3:17 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Mon Jun 01 2:40 pm
I would not be surprised to see a plea bargain with an out of state incarceration.
Friends who are corrections officers have seen the above happen.
Chauvin will have no potential allies in the joint since he is a now ex-cop.
Bingo.

A trial would be another unwelcome circus; since third-degree murder is very likely, there will at least be that, but pushing for first or second degree would really muddle issues. A prosecutor could very easily seek a third-degree plea and get it, as the defendant cop then doesn't have to battle higher charges with more time; while the prosecutor gets a guaranteed conviction with some significant prison time.

Note that 10 years in prison is a long time. No, it isn't life, but it is a long time. For a 45-year old who has maybe 30 left, you'll spend 1/3 of your life in prison and be unemployable when you get out. I mention this not to cast judgment on a prison sentence or make a political statement, but to note that in the history of our country, most of our "long" sentences were for only 5 years, but those involving murder have been 2-3 times that or more. It is only since the mandatory minimums of drug crimes where that has changed, so the public's perspective of a long sentence is a bit skewed.

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Mon Jun 01 3:19 pm

thinkbui wrote:
Mon Jun 01 2:47 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
I've wondered that about other recent high profile cases since it's hard to avoid even hearing about viral videos these days let alone news stories or, more importantly, hearsay that's potentially prejudicial. Would they have to settle for folks who can demonstrate a limited bias?

And even then there might be a hill to climb since I would expect a lot of folks would feel as I do and not want to be responsible for deciding such a big case, especially with all the passions it's been stoking over the last week, and would try everything they can to get themselves excused during jury selection.
Yes. Add in a potential race concern to this issue and stir well. Defendant may seek to move the trial to a different county venue to get a better prospective jury pool (I could see Duluth, Bemidji, Moorhead, Mankato, or Rochester), but the prosecution would not likely agree and a judge would need to approve it. None of that is clear.

Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Mon Jun 01 4:43 pm

I would think any city would fight hard to keep this trial from coming to them.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Steve MN » Mon Jun 01 5:06 pm

Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:
Mon Jun 01 4:43 pm
I would think any city would fight hard to keep this trial from coming to them.
If it actually goes to trial, just from a security perspective, I'm not sure where other than Minneapolis or St Paul they could handle this.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 295 times

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Jun 01 5:07 pm

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 124 times

Post by Norm » Mon Jun 01 5:46 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Mon Jun 01 5:07 pm
I haven't seen much of her since the Covid started.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by george » Mon Jun 01 6:15 pm

Norm wrote:
Mon Jun 01 5:46 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
She's been broadcasting from home each morning.

On another note, my kid works with a Russian who is family friends with the fuel truck driver from I35W. Says the guy is high-functioning autistic.

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 144 times

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Jun 01 6:17 pm

Norm wrote:
frozen4champs wrote:
Her tweet said they notified her while she was on vacation. That seems unnecessarily harsh! :shock:
Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let’s go. We’re burning daylight.
-John Wayne

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Mon Jun 01 6:45 pm

george wrote:
Mon Jun 01 6:15 pm
Norm wrote:
frozen4champs wrote:
Even when she was working from home, I didn’t see much of her. I usually would watch the last 20 minutes of the show in the morning and she was more intent on showing her cat every single day.

thinkbui
Veteran

Post by thinkbui » Mon Jun 01 8:41 pm

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Mon Jun 01 3:19 pm
thinkbui wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:

Yes. Add in a potential race concern to this issue and stir well. Defendant may seek to move the trial to a different county venue to get a better prospective jury pool (I could see Duluth, Bemidji, Moorhead, Mankato, or Rochester), but the prosecution would not likely agree and a judge would need to approve it. None of that is clear.
Out of curiosity, what would your current legal assessment of a potential case against Thomas Lane? I know most people want him convicted along with Chauvin for also kneeling on Floyd and maybe I've been reading too much about United Flight 173 where the crew had trouble speaking up, but the transcript of the final moments before Floyd's death seems like Lane may have been trying to warn Chauvin about the danger and didn't go farther than he did because he was a rookie intimidated by Chauvin's seniority. Not saying he shouldn't face consequences, but wondering how that would change things legally.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"
--Gopher Hockey Cheer Chicks, 27 April 2006

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Jun 01 9:09 pm

Maybe criminal negligence compared to aiding/abetting, which sounds like what the charges will be?

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Mon Jun 01 9:39 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Mon Jun 01 6:45 pm
george wrote:
Norm wrote:
frozen4champs wrote:
Even when she was working from home, I didn’t see much of her. I usually would watch the last 20 minutes of the show in the morning and she was more intent on showing her cat every single day.
I always wondered how tall she is? Seems like she towered over most coworkers.

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 7 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Mon Jun 01 9:45 pm

Norm wrote:
Mon Jun 01 9:39 pm
Snowcool08 wrote:
Mon Jun 01 6:45 pm
george wrote:
Norm wrote:
frozen4champs wrote:
I always wondered how tall she is? Seems like she towered over most coworkers.
Pretty sure I remember reading somewhere she is 5'11"

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Jun 01 9:46 pm

That is tall for a woman. Just googled average heights, and for women it's 5'4" and for men it's 5'9" in the US.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Tue Jun 02 7:59 am

thinkbui wrote:
Mon Jun 01 8:41 pm
SkiUMahLaw wrote:
thinkbui wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:

Out of curiosity, what would your current legal assessment of a potential case against Thomas Lane? I know most people want him convicted along with Chauvin for also kneeling on Floyd and maybe I've been reading too much about United Flight 173 where the crew had trouble speaking up, but the transcript of the final moments before Floyd's death seems like Lane may have been trying to warn Chauvin about the danger and didn't go farther than he did because he was a rookie intimidated by Chauvin's seniority. Not saying he shouldn't face consequences, but wondering how that would change things legally.
The case against Chauvin is independent from the other three (who will likely be independent from one another, but not necessarily).

The case against the other three gets difficult IMHO because you'd have to prove some element of intent to further the homicide to prove aiding and abetting. Here, cuffing a suspect and coordinating crowd control on a busy street corner is normal police operations and textbook policy. You would have a hard time proving aiding/abetting unless they were doing something above and beyond that.

I believe each of the three would argue that, given the street situation, they were concentrating on the crowd at hand and trusting Chauvin to handle the victim. They would check in on Chauvin and the struggle, but you have a cuffed suspect who has been neutralized, but were more concerned about the mob as they were outnumbered, and they feared an immediate riot and for their own safety. That makes a tough case to prosecute against them-- without evidence of "we're going to take this guy down hard" it will be tough to prove they weren't merely following police protocol, with Chauvin going rogue.

Maybe the better prosecutorial option is to get them on negligence for not starting CPR on an unresponsive individual in their presence. But there is no proof failing to do so did any harm; if Chauvin held Mr. Floyd down for 3 minutes after death, it would be uncertain whether CPR could have helped at all.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Tue Jun 02 8:50 am

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Tue Jun 02 7:59 am
thinkbui wrote:
SkiUMahLaw wrote:
thinkbui wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:

The case against Chauvin is independent from the other three (who will likely be independent from one another, but not necessarily).

The case against the other three gets difficult IMHO because you'd have to prove some element of intent to further the homicide to prove aiding and abetting. Here, cuffing a suspect and coordinating crowd control on a busy street corner is normal police operations and textbook policy. You would have a hard time proving aiding/abetting unless they were doing something above and beyond that.

I believe each of the three would argue that, given the street situation, they were concentrating on the crowd at hand and trusting Chauvin to handle the victim. They would check in on Chauvin and the struggle, but you have a cuffed suspect who has been neutralized, but were more concerned about the mob as they were outnumbered, and they feared an immediate riot and for their own safety. That makes a tough case to prosecute against them-- without evidence of "we're going to take this guy down hard" it will be tough to prove they weren't merely following police protocol, with Chauvin going rogue.

Maybe the better prosecutorial option is to get them on negligence for not starting CPR on an unresponsive individual in their presence. But there is no proof failing to do so did any harm; if Chauvin held Mr. Floyd down for 3 minutes after death, it would be uncertain whether CPR could have helped at all.
Always love your legal insights. I learn a lot. :dup:

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Jun 02 8:57 am

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
thinkbui wrote:
SkiUMahLaw wrote:
thinkbui wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:

2/3 were also on top of the victim as evidenced by at least one other camera angle and video footage. That may or may not change the underlined but fwiw.

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Tue Jun 02 9:12 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Jun 02 8:57 am
SkiUMahLaw wrote:
thinkbui wrote:
SkiUMahLaw wrote:
thinkbui wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:

2/3 were also on top of the victim as evidenced by at least one other camera angle and video footage. That may or may not change the underlined but fwiw.
I saw some video like that, and I am not discounting it. I am just guessing what they would argue, as it is a positive scenario for them. If it is a credible argument, then I fear my analysis has merit.

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Tue Jun 02 12:49 pm

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Tue Jun 02 9:12 am
Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Jun 02 8:57 am
SkiUMahLaw wrote:
thinkbui wrote:
SkiUMahLaw wrote:
thinkbui wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:

I saw some video like that, and I am not discounting it. I am just guessing what they would argue, as it is a positive scenario for them. If it is a credible argument, then I fear my analysis has merit.
I know in a perfect world it shouldn't, but do you think fear of rioting will influence charges against the other 3? Might a prosecutor say to himself, "If we don't throw the book at them there will be more riots?"

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden

Post by YoungEagle » Tue Jun 02 1:17 pm

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
thinkbui wrote:
SkiUMahLaw wrote:
thinkbui wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:

Curious on another point of the legal proceeding. I read somewhere that while it can be difficult to convict and sentence police officers of crimes like murder, that in this case the Feds may be able to charge Chauvin on something like (and this name may be wrong) depriving George’s civil rights which led to his death which could potentially carry a longer sentence than murder 3 and manslaughter. I know it’s a totally different court system (federal) but I’m curious if there’s any logic to that.

Boston Apologist

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Tue Jun 02 2:20 pm

Norm wrote:
Tue Jun 02 12:49 pm
I know in a perfect world it shouldn't, but do you think fear of rioting will influence charges against the other 3? Might a prosecutor say to himself, "If we don't throw the book at them there will be more riots?"
Typical lawyer answer: yes and no. I think the evidence will influence what is being charged but the rioting will influence the degree leading to conviction. You don't want to overcharge and lose, causing more rioting. Undercharging and success may lead some to be unhappy, but it likely doesn't lead to riots. They want convictions, not to punish someone with 3 days in jail.

By the way, good analysis here by a Mitchell-Hamline Professor. It's a little bit professor-ish in terms of "it could happen...", but I agree with his conclusion.

YoungEagle wrote:
Tue Jun 02 1:17 pm
Curious on another point of the legal proceeding. I read somewhere that while it can be difficult to convict and sentence police officers of crimes like murder, that in this case the Feds may be able to charge Chauvin on something like (and this name may be wrong) depriving George’s civil rights which led to his death which could potentially carry a longer sentence than murder 3 and manslaughter. I know it’s a totally different court system (federal) but I’m curious if there’s any logic to that.
The Feds have civil rights jurisdiction and could see this as a civil rights case and charge it accordingly, and that is independent of the homicide inquiry. However, frequently we will see which way the wind is blowing on the homicide before seeking this, as the Feds don't look for a pound of flesh necessarily if the state got it already, but sometimes politics happens. You would need evidence showing a pattern of discrimination by the officer essentially to establish that, and I don't know enough about whether that exists or not with regard to Chauvin.

JC65
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by JC65 » Tue Jun 02 3:44 pm

After 15 years:

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Tue Jun 02 3:49 pm

Damn, that's sad. 15 years of listening to him, 11 of which I assumed he was Australian. :lol:

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden

Post by YoungEagle » Tue Jun 02 3:50 pm

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Tue Jun 02 2:20 pm
Norm wrote:
Tue Jun 02 12:49 pm
Typical lawyer answer: yes and no. I think the evidence will influence what is being charged but the rioting will influence the degree leading to conviction. You don't want to overcharge and lose, causing more rioting. Undercharging and success may lead some to be unhappy, but it likely doesn't lead to riots. They want convictions, not to punish someone with 3 days in jail.

By the way, good analysis here by a Mitchell-Hamline Professor. It's a little bit professor-ish in terms of "it could happen...", but I agree with his conclusion.

YoungEagle wrote:
Tue Jun 02 1:17 pm
The Feds have civil rights jurisdiction and could see this as a civil rights case and charge it accordingly, and that is independent of the homicide inquiry. However, frequently we will see which way the wind is blowing on the homicide before seeking this, as the Feds don't look for a pound of flesh necessarily if the state got it already, but sometimes politics happens. You would need evidence showing a pattern of discrimination by the officer essentially to establish that, and I don't know enough about whether that exists or not with regard to Chauvin.
Thanks! Your insights are very helpful.

Boston Apologist

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Jun 02 4:23 pm

JC65 wrote:
Tue Jun 02 3:44 pm
After 15 years:
Bummer. Odd that they didn't state (unless I missed it) where he's going next.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 319 times

Post by Beauner » Wed Jun 03 10:05 am

Was never really a huge fan of Mike Max when it comes to sports coverage. But he's been spectacular covering everything going on in Minneapolis.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Wed Jun 03 1:58 pm

Alright @SkiUMahLaw , what are your thoughts/opinions on the new charges? Second degree for Chauvin, aiding and abetting for the other three. You were extremely helpful in clarifying things for us the first time around!

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Wed Jun 03 2:24 pm

Ok, well here is the standard for second degree murder:
Minn. Stat. Sec. 609.19 wrote: Intentional Murder: Whoever...causes the death of a human being with intent to effect the death of that person or another, but without premeditation; or
Unintentional Murder: Whoever...(1) causes the death of a human being, without intent to effect the death of any person, while committing or attempting to commit a felony offense other than criminal sexual conduct in the first or second degree with force or violence or a drive-by shooting; or (2) causes the death of a human being without intent to effect the death of any person, while intentionally inflicting or attempting to inflict bodily harm upon the victim, when the perpetrator is restrained under an order for protection and the victim is a person designated to receive protection under the order. As used in this clause, "order for protection" includes an order for protection issued under chapter 518B; a harassment restraining order issued under section 609.748; a court order setting conditions of pretrial release or conditions of a criminal sentence or juvenile court disposition; a restraining order issued in a marriage dissolution action; and any order issued by a court of another state or of the United States that is similar to any of these orders.
Well, intent here will be difficult to show, as you would need evidence showing that the goal was to kill Floyd, which will be really, really hard to get. We all saw the video, and while we can make an assumption that was the cop's goal, he would deny such, and likely provide some counter argument that Chauvin felt that Floyd was still resisting arrest which is why the length that it was. This is different than third degree, where intent is irrelevant; for second degree you need to show intent to meet the first test.

If you instead are going for the unintentional components, you would need to show either (1.) Chauvin was committing a felony in his actions, or (2.) Chauvin performed the act with an order for protection against him (which is clearly not the case). So the only hope here is to show that Chauvin was committing a felony in the act itself, which will be even more difficult to prove-- he is a cop and assault/battery are part of the job and he does have authority to use force-- even deadly-- when he feels threatened. So you'd have to show that his use of force was entirely out of order (tough to do against a cop) and the murder resulted therefrom.

This is risky for a prosecutor. Not at all clear that these facts are met and the defense has some fair defenses to these components.

As to the aiding and abetting, I think this analysis hasn't changed, other than it still requires an intentional act to further the crime itself. That is a tough sell, because there is no evidence he intended to kill Mr. Floyd with premeditation, and he likely did not inform the other cops he intends to rough Mr. Floyd up and they assisted in that occurring.

So I don't like it. Not saying it isn't impossible, but it is not anywhere near a slam dunk. Third degree is a lot safer and more likely. Second degree is a stretch IMHO.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Wed Jun 03 2:34 pm

Sooooo buckle up. Thought so.

Thanks!

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Wed Jun 03 2:42 pm

Not having had a chance to look in further than the quick news articles, are they replacing the 3rd degree with the 2nd degree charge, or adding it?

EDIT: Reading later coverage, it's an added 2nd Degree murder charge, so they can try for that, but still have the 3rd degree on the table.

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Wed Jun 03 3:05 pm

I will note that sometimes this is a prosecutorial tactic to push a plea bargain. Prosecutors push a higher charge, even though it may be a stretch, to force defendant to plead to a lesser charge.

This may be at play here. I cannot imagine Ellison really wants the circus of a trial.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Wed Jun 03 3:12 pm

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Wed Jun 03 3:05 pm
I will note that sometimes this is a prosecutorial tactic to push a plea bargain. Prosecutors push a higher charge, even though it may be a stretch, to force defendant to plead to a lesser charge.

This may be at play here. I cannot imagine Ellison really wants the circus of a trial.
Thanks for the confirmation. I was thinking the same direction.

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by gopherguy13 » Wed Jun 03 4:47 pm

What are we paying for SkiUMahLaw's retainer?!
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Wed Jun 03 6:27 pm

A free week at Young Eagles cabin?
YE needs buy in to join the mods

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Wed Jun 03 6:32 pm

Like I mentioned earlier, a plea bargain would not surprise me.
Chauvin will not spend much time in the prison general population if convicted or plea bargains.
Cops have no allies in the yard & the inmates really control the yard. The correction officers control who leaves & that comes from my guard buddies

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Wed Jun 03 6:55 pm

Yeah, I've heard from a few sources that he'll end up in ad seg at Oak Park Heights, which is where he probably is now.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Jun 03 8:45 pm

Chauvin will never be in genpop. But, I can't say that a guard isn't open to some suggestions.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by gopher6 » Thu Jun 04 6:46 am

west side fish wrap good hockey memories
https://www.startribune.com/star-tribun ... 571003032/

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 357 times

Post by D2D » Thu Jun 04 8:30 am

gopher6 wrote:
Thu Jun 04 6:46 am
Great memories! We can only hope this year's team gets the opportunity to make some more.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

Greyeagle
Has liked: 981 times
Been liked: 665 times

Post by Greyeagle » Thu Jun 04 8:42 am

D2D wrote:
Thu Jun 04 8:30 am
gopher6 wrote:
Thu Jun 04 6:46 am
Great memories! We can only hope this year's team gets the opportunity to make some more.
Wasn't it during that Mankato playoff series when Wooger made his epic "everyone is standing except those in wheelchairs" comment?
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Jun 04 10:01 pm

That Mankato playoff series took about 5 years off of my life.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 357 times

Post by D2D » Fri Jun 05 10:18 am

The Rube wrote:
Thu Jun 04 10:01 pm
That Mankato playoff series took about 5 years off of my life.
Unless you are a 'supreme master prognosticator', how exactly do we know this? :lol:

But you are right, it has to be the closest three game playoff series in Gopher hockey history, super tense from start to sudden-death overtime finish.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder