Local Broadcasting/Media

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
Iceburg
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Iceburg » Thu Apr 18 7:18 pm

Northern Arizona played D-1 hockey for maybe five years.

Retired Thread Police

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by george » Thu Apr 18 7:28 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Thu Apr 18 4:38 pm
team22tank wrote:
Thu Apr 18 4:29 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Apr 18 4:20 pm
team22tank wrote:
Thu Apr 18 4:06 pm
D2D wrote:
Thu Apr 18 3:43 pm
Always liked Jeff even though he's a former St. Cloud hockey player. :evil: Then again - back then - we rarely lost to them. :lol:
St. Cloud and then Mankato. And we didn't play them back then!

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=109456
I think that page is not correct. Per his SCSU hall of fame page he played at SCSU from 77-81. Never played for Kato.
Distinguished Service Award Winner Jeff Passolt played ice hockey for the Huskies from 1977 to 1981. He scored 68 goals and tallied 68 assists during his career. His 136 career points ranks him 11th on the all-time scoring chart at St. Cloud State that includes players from the Division I, Division II, and 10980
Division III eras of Husky hockey
Interesting. Still wouldn't have played against the Gophers during that time.
Yeah, wouldn't have played any D3 competition.
Back in the early 70's the Gophs had a JV team and they would play local D3 teams. Not that it has anything to do with Passolt.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Greyeagle » Thu Apr 18 9:17 pm

george wrote:
Thu Apr 18 7:28 pm
Back in the early 70's the Gophs had a JV team and they would play local D3 teams. Not that it has anything to do with Passolt.
The JV team actually survived into the mid to late '80s. The last JV coach was Bob Shier, who was also my coach in bantams and 1-2 years in high school.
Surprisingly he didn't invite me to try out for the team. :lol:

If Ford is to Chevrolet What Dodge is to Chrysler / What Corn Flakes are to Post Toasties
What the clear blue sky is to the deep blue sea / What Hank Williams is to Neil Armstrong
Can you doubt we were made for each other

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Steve MN » Fri Apr 19 8:32 am

george wrote:
Thu Apr 18 7:28 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Thu Apr 18 4:38 pm
team22tank wrote:
Thu Apr 18 4:29 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Apr 18 4:20 pm
team22tank wrote:
Thu Apr 18 4:06 pm
D2D wrote:
Thu Apr 18 3:43 pm
Always liked Jeff even though he's a former St. Cloud hockey player. :evil: Then again - back then - we rarely lost to them. :lol:
St. Cloud and then Mankato. And we didn't play them back then!

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=109456
I think that page is not correct. Per his SCSU hall of fame page he played at SCSU from 77-81. Never played for Kato.
Distinguished Service Award Winner Jeff Passolt played ice hockey for the Huskies from 1977 to 1981. He scored 68 goals and tallied 68 assists during his career. His 136 career points ranks him 11th on the all-time scoring chart at St. Cloud State that includes players from the Division I, Division II, and 10980
Division III eras of Husky hockey
Interesting. Still wouldn't have played against the Gophers during that time.
Yeah, wouldn't have played any D3 competition.
True enough.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Fri Apr 19 8:34 am

Iceburg wrote:
Thu Apr 18 7:18 pm
Northern Arizona played D-1 hockey for maybe five years.
Not certain about whether Northern Arizona was D3 or not at the time, but you are correct that they played D1 in hockey. Same as Colorado College to this day, they're a D3 school that retains the option to play up to D1, being grandfathered in from playing before the division split.

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Zwak » Fri Apr 19 8:52 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Thu Apr 18 4:14 pm
sunbone wrote:
Thu Apr 18 4:09 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Apr 18 3:58 pm
Wow if you had asked me I would have guessed he'd been around longer than 1996. Not that 23 years is short it just seems like it's been more.
That was just on channel 9. He was the sports guy on channel 11 before that for years.
If I remember correctly he was the replacement sports guy on the KQ morning show after WCCO TV made Rosen leave that gig for a WCCO-AM thing. Probably 1988 or 1989?
Wasn't Mark Curtis from Channel 5 the replacement guy on KQ after Rosen? I think Passolt came after that.

I agree with Sunbone. I remember when he was at Channel 11 prior to Channel 9. I never would have guessed he was at Channel 9 for 23 years. If anything I would have thought he was on Channel 11 AND Channel 9 for 23 years combined. Best of luck to him in his retirement. He's had a good run. Not too many anchors can be lucky enough to work in their home state for 20+ years.
GPL's official source of trivia.

xyz
Rookie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by xyz » Fri Apr 19 9:29 am

Passolt went to work in Denver for a few years between channel 11 and channel 9.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Greyeagle » Fri Apr 19 10:14 am

Zwak wrote:
Fri Apr 19 8:52 am
Wasn't Mark Curtis from Channel 5 the replacement guy on KQ after Rosen? I think Passolt came after that.
Good memory! I believe you are correct.
I also believe he was very forgettable on that show. :)

If Ford is to Chevrolet What Dodge is to Chrysler / What Corn Flakes are to Post Toasties
What the clear blue sky is to the deep blue sea / What Hank Williams is to Neil Armstrong
Can you doubt we were made for each other

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Sat May 11 10:23 am

Listening to Tee to Green this morning I don’t know who is worse at interviewing athletes...Sid or COMMON 😳

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gopher6 » Fri May 24 10:34 am

Modano to be on KFAN at 11am today

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Mon Jun 10 9:21 am

I really want SkorNorth 1500 to succeed as I don't like KFAN but 1500 is making it difficult for me to listen. Monday through Friday from 2 - 4 is a Viking talk show. To each their own (maybe I'm in the minority) but I can't imagine listening to that everyday especially during the off season.

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 7 times

Post by HockeyBum » Mon Jun 10 10:24 am

Zwak wrote:
Mon Jun 10 9:21 am
I really want SkorNorth 1500 to succeed as I don't like KFAN but 1500 is making it difficult for me to listen. Monday through Friday from 2 - 4 is a Viking talk show. To each their own (maybe I'm in the minority) but I can't imagine listening to that everyday especially during the off season.
Same. I get that there must be a demand for it (otherwise they wouldn't do it), but who are these people that can listen to Vikings talk in the off-season for 2 hours every day? I like SKOR North, but I have zero interest in Vikings talk in the off-season.

I like the Twins show they do, and I'm glad they moved the time slot up to 12-2 so I can listen to part of it during my lunch break. Before a few weeks ago, the 2-hour Vikings show was in that slot. Also, I think Ramie has been a good addition to the on-air talent.

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Handyman » Mon Jun 10 11:31 am

Judging by their ratings I would say there isnt much of an audience for it. Maybe if SKOR had the Vikings telecasts there would be but most people will just listen to PA for their Vikings talk since he is the voice of the Vikes.

Hubbard has no clue how to do anything of value in the radio market anymore. AM is dead for anyone under 900000 years old (and they listen to the Good Neighbor and their 25 minutes of commercials every half hour) and no one wants to listen to a second rate station that changes its formats every couple years but keeps the same clowns everyone hates (and couldnt hack it at better stations) talking about sports that are on other stations. This isnt LA or NY we dont need multiple sports stations talking about the same talkers. SKOR a station trying desperately to be relevant that bends like a pretzel to Vikes fans so much they even tried to make their name sound like it was part of the team. It will fail like every incarnation of that station has failed for the last decade or more.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden

Post by HockeyBum » Mon Jun 10 11:52 am

Handyman wrote:
Mon Jun 10 11:31 am
Judging by their ratings I would say there isnt much of an audience for it. Maybe if SKOR had the Vikings telecasts there would be but most people will just listen to PA for their Vikings talk since he is the voice of the Vikes.

Hubbard has no clue how to do anything of value in the radio market anymore. AM is dead for anyone under 900000 years old (and they listen to the Good Neighbor and their 25 minutes of commercials every half hour) and no one wants to listen to a second rate station that changes its formats every couple years but keeps the same clowns everyone hates (and couldnt hack it at better stations) talking about sports that are on other stations. This isnt LA or NY we dont need multiple sports stations talking about the same talkers. SKOR a station trying desperately to be relevant that bends like a pretzel to Vikes fans so much they even tried to make their name sound like it was part of the team. It will fail like every incarnation of that station has failed for the last decade or more.
I agree that the format of 1500 has been kind of a mess for a while, but I do enjoy Mackey, Judd, Ramie, and Reusse. They have good, intelligent baseball talk instead of 24/7 Vikings like KFAN seems to have. It's obvious you don't enjoy it, and to each their own. Personally, I can't stand the buffoonery of the KFAN personalities.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Beauner » Mon Jun 10 12:02 pm

Handyman wrote:

I had my radio on WCCO one day on my way to softball listening to the Twins game. I got back in my car and the post-game stuff was all done and back to their regular broadcasting. I decided to try an experiment since I got back in during a commercial break. I wanted to see how long it would take to hear them say the Twins score.
From the time I turned my Jeep on to the time I turned my Jeep off in my garage (approximately 12 minutes), it was nothing but commercials. Literally 12 consecutive minutes of advertisements.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Jun 10 12:07 pm

Beauner wrote:
Mon Jun 10 12:02 pm
Handyman wrote:

I had my radio on WCCO one day on my way to softball listening to the Twins game. I got back in my car and the post-game stuff was all done and back to their regular broadcasting. I decided to try an experiment since I got back in during a commercial break. I wanted to see how long it would take to hear them say the Twins score.
From the time I turned my Jeep on to the time I turned my Jeep off in my garage (approximately 12 minutes), it was nothing but commercials. Literally 12 consecutive minutes of advertisements.
The station has become a non stop infomercial. No segments, just commercials with a little commentary interspersed in as content. Ridiculous that anyone listens to them, aside from during Twins & TWolves games....unless your a St Thomas alum on Saturday afternoons in the Fall 😂 :lol:

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Jun 10 12:18 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Mon Jun 10 11:52 am
Handyman wrote:

I agree that the format of 1500 has been kind of a mess for a while, but I do enjoy Mackey, Judd, Ramie, and Reusse. They have good, intelligent baseball talk instead of 24/7 Vikings like KFAN seems to have. It's obvious you don't enjoy it, and to each their own. Personally, I can't stand the buffoonery of the KFAN personalities.
I dunno who Ramie is, but I have a hard time picturing Mackey and Judd having good, intelligent baseball discussion based on some of the garbage I see them spew on Twitter.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Mon Jun 10 12:40 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Mon Jun 10 12:07 pm
Beauner wrote:
Mon Jun 10 12:02 pm
Handyman wrote:

The station has become a non stop infomercial. No segments, just commercials with a little commentary interspersed in as content. Ridiculous that anyone listens to them, aside from during Twins & TWolves games....unless your a St Thomas alum on Saturday afternoons in the Fall 😂 :lol:
I'm friends with one of the sidekicks on a WCCO talk show. I once told him that I would love to listen to him but they just play too many commercials. He said, "Yep...that's our number one complaint."

Back when WCCO was a juggernaut (a rare AM station that was number one in it's market) I get how they could get away with so many commercials. I'm not a great radio mind but wouldn't it make more sense to have fewer commercials but charge more per commercial?

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Jun 10 1:41 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Mon Jun 10 11:52 am
Handyman wrote:

But you can stand Reusse? The dude can barely talk. I swear he sounds as bad on the radio as Sid does only Sid is like 5 times his age.

I barely listen to any radio (and the small bit I do has almost nothing to do with sports) but 1500 is unlistenable garbage no matter the topic. Judd (while a nice guy in person) has one of the worst radio personalities out there and his hot takes on anything are just awful. And Mackay is ok rarely depending on which of his rip off personalities he is playing on that day. (he was like that on KFAN too...he was an amalgamation of Justin Gaard and Tenna B...either kissing up to the locals or ripping them depending on a few variables)

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden

Post by HockeyBum » Mon Jun 10 2:31 pm

Handyman wrote:
Mon Jun 10 1:41 pm
But you can stand Reusse? The dude can barely talk.
I know it's an unpopular opinion on this board, but yes... I do enjoy listening to Reusse.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Mon Jun 10 2:56 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Mon Jun 10 2:31 pm
Handyman wrote:
I know it's an unpopular opinion on this board, but yes... I do enjoy listening to Reusse.
As long as you go into it realizing he's been a troll since before many of us were even born, much less paying attention to sports or anything, he's fine to listen to.

Laxref
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Laxref » Mon Jun 10 3:14 pm

Henry Lake on wcco from 9pm-1am is good radio. Count me in the minority that enjoys Reusse.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Mon Jun 10 3:22 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Handyman wrote:
I like Reusse a lot too. He has lots of great contacts, knows his stuff (especially baseball), and isn't afraid to make a hot take. No, I don't agree with everything he says, but I still enjoy it. It's just sports.

I also like Mackey and Judd. However, when Judd gets into Vikings mode I can't listen. He loves talking in-depth football but I don't. I feel like there is an edict at 1500 to NEVER talk about anything but sports. I'm not saying a whole show has to be non sports, but I do like an occasional discussion about non-sports (except politics).

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Jun 10 5:24 pm

I don't generally mind Reusse either. His Gopher trolling is tiresome but expected at this point. I haven't listened to him on the radio since... Man... 2010?

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Jun 10 8:52 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Mon Jun 10 2:56 pm
HockeyBum wrote:
Handyman wrote:
As long as you go into it realizing he's been a troll since before many of us were even born, much less paying attention to sports or anything, he's fine to listen to.
I am not talking about his opinions...I mean literally listening to him talk. Half the time I swear he is choking on something. It is like listening to Common Man stutter his way through on his show...

-Scooby 2/7/2017

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 36 times

Post by D2D » Mon Jun 10 9:25 pm

Handyman wrote:
I barely listen to any radio (and the small bit I do has almost nothing to do with sports) but 1500 is unlistenable garbage no matter the topic. Judd (while a nice guy in person) has one of the worst radio personalities out there and his hot takes on anything are just awful. And Mackay is ok rarely depending on which of his rip off personalities he is playing on that day. (he was like that on KFAN too...he was an amalgamation of Justin Gaard and Tenna B...either kissing up to the locals or ripping them depending on a few variables)
For someone who "barely listens to any radio" you seem to know quite a bit about the various options out there! :wink:

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Jun 11 12:01 am

I had to work near SKOR a few times this summer and back in the day I listened to KFAN quite a bit. Most of the shows got old fast ;)

I listen to mostly podcasts and Sirius these days unless there is a specific reason why.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Jun 11 1:06 am

I can't stand the sound of his voice either. Loved when he wrote about town team baseball or golf.
Currently under construction.

gopher6
Veteran

Post by gopher6 » Thu Jun 20 3:34 pm

Frank sweet music Viola next on Burrito

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Jul 03 4:54 pm

Ryan Shaver leaving KARE 11

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Tue Jul 30 8:51 am

Regarding FSN not being available on Dish or Sling anymore. Jup mentioned this in a tweet but it annoys me that FSN is trying to frame Dish/Sling as the "bad guy". I'm not saying they aren't but there are definitely two sides at the negotiating table. What is a fact is that it stinks that the customers are the ones that suffer.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by Jupiter » Tue Jul 30 10:03 am

Oh I know they are both bad... I just think it makes FSN look really bad to spend all that money to promote their tweets. Yet cannot come to agreement with Dish.

These negotiations every few years is hurting the customers more and more. Eventually all the customers will be gone. I cannot wait!

We, as those customers, need to demand a la cart programming. Pay for what you want. Not get all the crap you don’t want, yet pay for. We ultimately have the power to make this happen. But if we keep taking it up the ass by networks and distributors... We will keep deserving the treatment we are getting by all involved.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Jul 30 11:45 am

I haven’t had time to do the phone haggling and figure out set up for a new service yet but plan to dump Dish this weekend.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Jul 30 12:00 pm

I have DirecTV. In the past 6 months we have lost our local Fox station during the NFL playoffs and now have lost the local CBS station. Luckily it is summer and there is not a bunch of stuff on, but the local CBS station is far and away the best local news station we get. As Jup said, it's BS, and am tired of this.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by The Rube » Tue Jul 30 9:47 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Tue Jul 30 10:03 am
Oh I know they are both bad... I just think it makes FSN look really bad to spend all that money to promote their tweets. Yet cannot come to agreement with Dish.

These negotiations every few years is hurting the customers more and more. Eventually all the customers will be gone. I cannot wait!

We, as those customers, need to demand a la cart programming. Pay for what you want. Not get all the crap you don’t want, yet pay for. We ultimately have the power to make this happen. But if we keep taking it up the ass by networks and distributors... We will keep deserving the treatment we are getting by all involved.
I want a la carte, but as we're seeing with streaming, it's led to many exclusive deals. I have Netflix, not Hulu or Vue or Prime, whatever. If you want to watch everything you want to watch, it's just as expensive. Media will get you one way or the other.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Wed Jul 31 8:23 am

The Rube wrote:
Tue Jul 30 9:47 pm
Jupiter wrote:

I want a la carte, but as we're seeing with streaming, it's led to many exclusive deals. I have Netflix, not Hulu or Vue or Prime, whatever. If you want to watch everything you want to watch, it's just as expensive. Media will get you one way or the other.
I'm sure it's part posturing but pretty dire words from the CEO of Dish Network:
“It doesn’t look good that the regional sports will ever be on Dish again,”
https://awfulannouncing.com/local-netwo ... -rsns.html

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Wed Jul 31 9:29 am

My new TV/Internet cannot come soon enough then.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Jul 31 9:51 am

Zwak wrote:
Wed Jul 31 8:23 am
The Rube wrote:
Jupiter wrote:

I'm sure it's part posturing but pretty dire words from the CEO of Dish Network:
“It doesn’t look good that the regional sports will ever be on Dish again,”
https://awfulannouncing.com/local-netwo ... -rsns.html
I realize decisions like this are made because of cost savings, but how many customers are they going to lose over this? Dish gets better ratings than DTV for their equipment, but DTV already had the better sports packages and better customer service ratings, and Comcast has better bundle pricing although not very good customer service. Other states have Spectrum, Verizon, AT&T etc., but I don't know as much about them.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Jul 31 10:01 am

I’ll let you know how spectrum is in a couple weeks. 😬

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Jul 31 11:07 am

The Rube wrote:
Jupiter wrote:

I do a la carte and it is WAY less than what Comcast would be. Internet plus Hulu Live plus Netflix and Prime isnt even close to as expensive even with internet prices on the rise.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Wed Jul 31 11:11 am

How bad is the delay with some of the streaming services that carry sports?

5 O.T.
Veteran
Has liked: 3 times

Post by 5 O.T. » Wed Jul 31 11:52 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Tue Jul 30 12:00 pm
I have DirecTV. In the past 6 months we have lost our local Fox station during the NFL playoffs and now have lost the local CBS station. Luckily it is summer and there is not a bunch of stuff on, but the local CBS station is far and away the best local news station we get. As Jup said, it's BS, and am tired of this.
Have you tried adding an over the air antenna for your local channels?
https://www.channelmaster.com/

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Jul 31 2:18 pm

I'm tempted to cut the cord. Comcast is so freaking expensive for what I get (or want) it's ridiculous). Certainly paying the convenience of it all at this point.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Jul 31 3:24 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Wed Jul 31 11:11 am
I havent clocked it but it doesnt seem to be much with FSN on Hulu Live TV at least for Twins games.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Jul 31 10:11 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Wed Jul 31 2:18 pm
I'm tempted to cut the cord. Comcast is so freaking expensive for what I get (or want) it's ridiculous). Certainly paying the convenience of it all at this point.
Just for Gophers hockey season, I save $400/season cutting Comcast and then if I wish (which I don't do) go to Old Chicago for a burger and 2 pint beers for the game. I have the uber-basic Comcast tv, and then the fast internet from them. That's it.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 19 times

Post by gopherguy13 » Wed Jul 31 11:01 pm

Jupiter wrote:
I have YouTube TV and the delay for live sports seems to be about a minute. Maybe 90 seconds.
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Jul 31 11:03 pm

gopherguy13 wrote:
Wed Jul 31 11:01 pm
Jupiter wrote:
I have YouTube TV and the delay for live sports seems to be about a minute. Maybe 90 seconds.
Frankly, if you're not perusing the internet, delays don't matter. You're seeing it in your "real time."

TheRube33 on UnTappd

solar
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 6 times

Post by solar » Thu Aug 01 9:34 am

gopherguy13 wrote:
Jupiter wrote:
I have YouTube TV, and the delay for the broadcast where I am at is about 10-15 seconds. During the Superbowl, we used both, and the cheers during the game came from the basement (digital antenna) before the upstairs living room (streaming).

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Thu Aug 01 10:03 am

The Rube wrote:
Wed Jul 31 11:03 pm
gopherguy13 wrote:
Jupiter wrote:
Frankly, if you're not perusing the internet, delays don't matter. You're seeing it in your "real time."
I would agree with this but easier said than done. I told Jup yesterday that we have Hulu. I've noticed there is about a 30 second delay for live sports. If I'm watching the Twins game, Ill get notification from MLB app that the game is over about 30 seconds before I watch the end of the game.

I do like to check Twitter while watching sports which can be problematic with a 30 second delay as quite often I will hear about a key play on Twitter shortly before it happens on "live" TV. Obviously a first world problem.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Aug 01 10:32 am

Been catching up on some recent podcasts from Rogan, Mark Maron and YMH (Your Mother's House). Some pretty cool stuff out there from all three with obvious hits and misses.

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden

Post by gopherguy13 » Thu Aug 01 1:40 pm

The Rube wrote:
gopherguy13 wrote:
Jupiter wrote:
Which is precisely why I can't watch the GPL chat too closely while you're in there during Gopher games :wink:
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Aug 01 9:40 pm

gopherguy13 wrote:
Thu Aug 01 1:40 pm
The Rube wrote:
gopherguy13 wrote:
Jupiter wrote:
Which is precisely why I can't watch the GPL chat too closely while you're in there during Gopher games :wink:
Guilty as charged. :)

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Aug 04 5:55 pm

So I pulled the trigger and am switching to Spectrum. Still a couple weeks to get someone out but after about five hours on the phone (90% of that on hold with Dish) we are going to give it a go.
Spectrum gave me the same info as when I called a week ago (minus one hidden charge the previous person forgot to mention). I’ll get a two year price lock which will save me about 50$ a month to have what I have now (which is admittedly outdated dish equipment).

Dish was willing to give me new customer pricing and upgraded equipment which cost wise would have still been more than what spectrum can give me - and were only able to do that for one year. My main frustration with them however was 30-45 minute wait times (every time time they transferred me, and one guy even hung up trying to put me on hold) - and three separate Dish representatives gave me very different offers and pricing. You really have to dig and ask detailed questions to get answers, and they are different depending who you talk to. That experience alone cemented my decision to dump them.

Some of my reasons for switching:
- customer service and wait times are significantly better in the two times I’ve spoken with spectrum. Their agents were consistent in what they told me.
- I can have all my services under one company. (Currently Dish + Frontier.)
- “Supposedly” I will have 200x faster internet (they quote 200mbps) vs my current test speed of 0 - 1). Not sure if I believe all that but we’ll find out. Would be nice to watch Netflix without it stopping to reload every 5 minutes.
- No contract. Dish wants 20$ a month if you cancel early.
- With cable, I won’t lose service every time it rains or snows. (One Dish guy seemed shocked this happened as technology is so good that was like 10 or 15 years ago). Uhh, okay. Not sure how you keep weather from blocking a satellite signal....

Anyways, this might just be another grand adventure but I figure if so we can just switch back to Dish in a couple years and get new customer pricing and trickery for another two years. 😆

I’ll find out in a couple weeks if wasting my entire day on the phone today was worth it or not!

PS Dish claims you can get the MLB package in the meantime, and FSN should be back by August 15th.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Norm » Sun Aug 04 8:45 pm

I plan to stick with Dish until Gopher Hockey season. If they haven't settled by then I'm dropping them.

gopher6
Veteran

Post by gopher6 » Mon Aug 05 5:15 am

Don Banks passed away Sunday morning only 57yrs old

MNNavy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by MNNavy » Mon Aug 05 8:56 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Sun Aug 04 5:55 pm
So I pulled the trigger and am switching to Spectrum. Still a couple weeks to get someone out but after about five hours on the phone (90% of that on hold with Dish) we are going to give it a go.
Spectrum gave me the same info as when I called a week ago (minus one hidden charge the previous person forgot to mention). I’ll get a two year price lock which will save me about 50$ a month to have what I have now (which is admittedly outdated dish equipment).
In two years, when your price balloons to $200+/month, drop the TV service, and switch to one of the live TV streaming services (Hulu+, PS Vue, DirecTV Now, Sling, etc). My wife and I did that about a year ago, and we're saving roughly $70/month over what we were paying previously. You just need to do your homework to make sure the streaming package you sign up for offers all of the channels you want without paying for upgraded packages (example: the only sports channels offered under DirecTV Now's basic package are ESPN, ESPN2, and FS1. To get the expanded sports networks, you have to upgrade to their Max package for an additional $20/month).
I have GOT to stop saying "How stupid can you get"
Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Norm » Mon Aug 05 9:46 am

MNNavy wrote:
Mon Aug 05 8:56 am
Cowgirl wrote:
In two years, when your price balloons to $200+/month, drop the TV service, and switch to one of the live TV streaming services (Hulu+, PS Vue, DirecTV Now, Sling, etc). My wife and I did that about a year ago, and we're saving roughly $70/month over what we were paying previously. You just need to do your homework to make sure the streaming package you sign up for offers all of the channels you want without paying for upgraded packages (example: the only sports channels offered under DirecTV Now's basic package are ESPN, ESPN2, and FS1. To get the expanded sports networks, you have to upgrade to their Max package for an additional $20/month).
That's the problem, if you want to watch as many Gopher Hockey games as possible, it seems like you need every sports channel known to man. They've been on FSN, BTN, ESPN, NBCS....

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by JWG » Mon Aug 05 6:59 pm

If you have DirecTV/AT&T and are upset you're not getting CBS you can call DirecTV to get a local channel connector free of charge. It's a combination of a digital antenna and a tool to integrate those local channels into your DirecTV guide to allow you record them, pause, etc.

You have to have the Genie 44 or 54 and a strong enough signal from your zip code to be eligible.

Mine will be here on Wednesday. It can be self-installed. Easy way to get a free digital antenna at the minimum.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Aug 05 10:14 pm

MNNavy wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
I think a lot more services will renegotiate every couple years - but it’s on the customer to inquire. Dish said I had several $ worth of upgrades etc. but they legally can’t call me and tell me that. I still fully expect to go through this mess again though in a couple years like you said.
Problem with streaming is you have to have reliable internet. Currently not an option. Crossing fingers Spectrum is better.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Aug 06 3:21 am

I'm not saying they didn't tell you that but I've worked directly with Sprint, AT&T, Dish and Bell Canada and I think they were feeding you a line. They choose not to make those calls because they don't want you to know.

MNNavy
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 2 times

Post by MNNavy » Tue Aug 06 7:55 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Aug 05 10:14 pm
MNNavy wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
I think a lot more services will renegotiate every couple years - but it’s on the customer to inquire. Dish said I had several $ worth of upgrades etc. but they legally can’t call me and tell me that. I still fully expect to go through this mess again though in a couple years like you said.
Problem with streaming is you have to have reliable internet. Currently not an option. Crossing fingers Spectrum is better.
My wife and I have Spectrum, and have never had an issue with speed for streaming. You should be fine.
I have GOT to stop saying "How stupid can you get"
Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by george » Tue Aug 06 8:06 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Aug 06 3:21 am
I'm not saying they didn't tell you that but I've worked directly with Sprint, AT&T, Dish and Bell Canada and I think they were feeding you a line. They choose not to make those calls because they don't want you to know.
The line they fed me is it's a security issue, they can't access my account data unless I call them and ask. This was DirectTV in my case.

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 7 times

Post by davescharf » Tue Aug 06 8:18 am

george wrote:
Tue Aug 06 8:06 am
Slap Shot wrote:
The line they fed me is it's a security issue, they can't access my account data unless I call them and ask. This was DirectTV in my case.
Yet they know exactly when you leave. I’ve been getting mail from them nonstop since we went to youTube TV.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Aug 06 12:55 pm

george wrote:
Tue Aug 06 8:06 am
Slap Shot wrote:
That’s what they told me.
It’s absolutely a line. They send me mail all the time - they could sure put that info there!
They save money if customers don't ask for renegotiation so of course they won’t say anything.
It’s such a sad game we have to play.

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by JWG » Wed Aug 07 10:58 am

Following up on DirecTV/ATT&T sending me a free HDTV antenna due to the CBS dispute:

Got it in the mail today and it is a Winegard FlatWave Amped (amplified) antenna rated for 50 miles.
Looks to be $50 on Amazon. It also comes with hardware to integrate the channels into your guide if you have a Genie receiver. Don't have to use that, you could hook it up directly to your TV if you preferred. Seems worth it for the free $50 antenna.

Everything installed easily. Receiver recognized an antenna attached, scanned for the local channels, and integrated them right into the guide. 10 minute setup, maybe. Antenna placement is the hardest thing, my TV is not immediately near a window and there's no great spot to put the antenna that doesn't look attrocious. I have it just sitting behind the TV and it's hurting the signal strength.

JWG
[This space for rent]

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Fri Aug 09 1:12 pm

Column/article about FSN vs. Dish/Sling

http://www.startribune.com/standoff-between-fsn-and-providers-is-frustrating-for-many-twins-fans/530518422/

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Aug 09 2:03 pm

FSN gave me a whole 3$ off for not getting FSN this month. I’ll never see it though since I won’t be giving them any more of my money and have already paid the latest bill.
The guys I spoke with claimed it would be back by the 15th....

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Aug 19 5:42 pm

Brian Oake out at The Current, after a rant on Facebook, after he and his 20YO daughter got kicked out of a concert (she apparently drank an ice cube out of his alcohol drink, and instead of saying "My bad" he vented a little). Jill Riley was suspended (not sure if it's still going) for violating (c) songs on social media, also.

I don't mind Jill, but Brian Oake is the epitome of a snobster ass when it comes to music. Never liked him.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Mon Aug 19 5:58 pm

The Rube wrote:
Mon Aug 19 5:42 pm
Brian Oake out at The Current, after a rant on Facebook, after he and his 20YO daughter got kicked out of a concert (she apparently drank an ice cube out of his alcohol drink, and instead of saying "My bad" he vented a little). Jill Riley was suspended (not sure if it's still going) for violating (c) songs on social media, also.

I don't mind Jill, but Brian Oake is the epitome of a snobster ass when it comes to music. Never liked him.
I think what got Oake in trouble was his rant was directed at Palace Theater staff. Palace is managed by First Avenue which is a big sponsor/partner of The Current.

Kelly Red
Veteran
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Aug 19 6:28 pm

The Rube wrote:

Jill’s back Tuesday morning, they’ve been talking it up like crazy. I never cared for Oake either, he loved the sound of his own voice. It was a 2 person morning show, it was NOT the Brian Oake Show, but you’d never know that from his constant yammering.

And yeah, don’t go on a public social media foul mouthed rant about one of your major sponsors, very bad move.
How many husbands have I had? You mean besides my own?
-Zsa Zsa Gabor

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Aug 19 6:30 pm

Zwak wrote:
Mon Aug 19 5:58 pm
The Rube wrote:

I think what got Oake in trouble was his rant was directed at Palace Theater staff. Palace is managed by First Avenue which is a big sponsor/partner of The Current.
That prob is a big part of it. A friend and I were talking about it today.

I think Jill's mistake was an honest one, Brian's was not.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Aug 19 7:34 pm

His knowledge was immense. Oh no he liked the sound of his own voice. On radio?

MinnesotaNorthStar
Veteran
Has liked: 6 times

Post by MinnesotaNorthStar » Mon Aug 19 7:48 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Mon Aug 19 7:34 pm
I think that is question one on any interview for a radio show...
"I've made a career out of ugly goals" - Dino Ciccarelli
Slap Shot: They're [UND FANS] top notch.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Aug 19 8:19 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
It was his dismissal of fans of "non-hip" music that really bugged me. "Here's this band that's uber cool because no one has heard about them, but I have followed them for years." That sorta thing. I'll put it another way: I bet he's hated every 4pm "No Apologies" song that is played. ;)

TheRube33 on UnTappd

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 12 times

Post by sunbone » Mon Aug 19 8:29 pm

The Rube wrote:
Mon Aug 19 8:19 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
It was his dismissal of fans of "non-hip" music that really bugged me. "Here's this band that's uber cool because no one has heard about them, but I have followed them for years." That sorta thing. I'll put it another way: I bet he's hated every 4pm "No Apologies" song that is played. ;)
He loves a ton of bands that I would consider unhip. Hell, he likes AC DC.