Local Broadcasting/Media

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 15 times

Local Broadcasting/Media

Post by Zwak » Thu Jan 25 3:10 pm

I'm not sure if there is a thread out there to discuss local TV/Radio broadcasting in general (except for the one specifically about Puffy) so I thought I would start one.

This is from StarTribune.com. Channel 9 has named Jim Rich their new sports director.

http://www.startribune.com/503/story/960114.html

I don't know about you but I really don't care for Jim Rich. He seems like a weekend fill-in anchor at best. Honestly, I really liked Jeff Grayson. He did a good job and seemed to have a lot of fun doing it.
Last edited by Zwak on Wed Feb 07 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Hammy
Veteran
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Hammy » Thu Jan 25 3:12 pm

At least Jim Rich has a clue about college hockey. Which puts him ahead of many of the other local guys in my mind. :lol:
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Changes at FSN?

Post by Zwak » Fri Jan 26 7:00 am

Judd Zulgad writes a good column every Friday about local sports broadcasting. Today's article had some interesting things about FSN.

http://www.startribune.com/503/story/960873.html

1. They want Marney Gellner to work on her appearance
2. They are not happy with Ron Johnson's work

Reg Dunlop
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Changes at FSN?

Post by Reg Dunlop » Fri Jan 26 8:40 am

Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:Judd Zulgad writes a good column every Friday about local sports broadcasting. Today's article had some interesting things about FSN.

I think Marney is a little hottie, but I get a laugh whenever she interviews someone it looks like she's standing in a hole.
"Let 'em know you're there!"

Thirty-four: "Reg, I gotta tell you, of all the people on the board, you are one of the five I'd like to buy a beer!" :beerchug:

Frozen Four: BSU=JBSU=LOL

skatingopher
Golden
Golden

Post by skatingopher » Fri Jan 26 8:53 am

Reg Dunlop wrote:
Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:Judd Zulgad writes a good column every Friday about local sports broadcasting. Today's article had some interesting things about FSN.

I think Marney is a little hottie, but I get a laugh whenever she interviews someone it looks like she's standing in a hole.

What's the matter with her appearance? :? I've become a fan of Marney.
That's what the year book said.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Fri Jan 26 8:58 am

skatingopher wrote:
Reg Dunlop wrote:

What's the matter with her appearance? :? I've become a fan of Marney.

Personally I don't think it's her looks as much it is what she wears. Not that she needs to dress like a fashion queen, but some of her clothes remind me of Ellen DeGeneres.

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 7 times

Post by HockeyBum » Fri Jan 26 10:31 am

The only reason Ann Carroll is there is because of her looks, IMO. She's terrible as a post-game host. Marney isn't much to look at, but at least she can do her job well.

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by Thirty-Four » Fri Jan 26 10:43 am

HockeyBum wrote:The only reason Ann Carroll is there is because of her looks, IMO. She's terrible as a post-game host. Marney isn't much to look at, but at least she can do her job well.

I call Carroll "Aging trophy wife". She's got to be some executives "pet project", terrible. :evil:

Sure, Marney dresses like a WAL-MART manniquin and has an odd piece of hair missing (women always point this out repeatedly to me...), but she is solid, in my opinion. I don't get the "hottie" comment, if she's hot, I guess I've only been with supermodels 8) :pelvic_thrust:
Get the cigarette lighter fixed

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Fri Jan 26 10:48 am

Thirty-Four wrote:
HockeyBum wrote:The only reason Ann Carroll is there is because of her looks, IMO. She's terrible as a post-game host. Marney isn't much to look at, but at least she can do her job well.

I call Carroll "Aging trophy wife". She's got to be some executives "pet project", terrible. :evil:

Sure, Marney dresses like a WAL-MART manniquin and has an odd piece of hair missing (women always point this out repeatedly to me...), but she is solid, in my opinion. I don't get the "hottie" comment, if she's hot, I guess I've only been with supermodels 8) :pelvic_thrust:

Marney's got what I call "personality looks." She seems to have a great personality which makes her more attractive. If I were to meet her in person and find out she is a total b****, then she wouldn't look so attractive anymore.

But I agree, she is solid and does a good job.

Haven't heard from any Ron Johnson defenders yet. :D He might be a good guy but he just has zero personality and when it comes to puck, he is completely lost.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Jan 26 10:52 am

Ann Carroll is bad. When she did the pre and post games for the Gophers the other weekend she was clueless. If it's your job to work at FSN, you better know sports. Marney is much better, but wish Clay was still there.

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden

Post by Thirty-Four » Fri Jan 26 10:56 am

Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:
Thirty-Four wrote:

Marney's got what I call "personality looks." She seems to have a great personality which makes her more attractive. If I were to meet her in person and find out she is a total b****, then she wouldn't look so attractive anymore.

But I agree, she is solid and does a good job.

Haven't heard from any Ron Johnson defenders yet. :D He might be a good guy but he just has zero personality and when it comes to puck, he is completely lost.

Sometimes I think that FSN thought they were hiring the former Gopher receiver or something :evil_laugh:

jamwall
Golden
Golden

Post by jamwall » Fri Jan 26 11:04 am

marnie gelner is almost FSN north's version of jeanie zelasko.

she just needs to become a blond and yell a lot.
Co-National Champs: 1929
AAU National Champs: 1940
NCAA National Champs: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003...

Chris83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 9 times

Off the FSN Topic

Post by Chris83 » Fri Jan 26 11:05 am

Question: Is there something going on with Bob Rainey over at Channel 4? He appears to have lost a LOT of weight and his face looks very funky. Just wondering if anyone knew.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Neely
Golden
Golden

Post by Neely » Fri Jan 26 11:07 am

The best Ann Carroll moment for me was when she was doing an intermission update (I think it was the Wolves?) and she goes to send it back to the game and she completely spaces the names of the announcers.

"And now back to.....um... Tom and um.....Tom and um....Jim?"

When they finally cut back Peterson makes a crack about not even being worthy of having people know his name. Very funny. I guess for everyone but her.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Bigbeer » Fri Jan 26 11:09 am

Is there a 3rd choice?...please....?...

Ben
Golden
Golden

Post by Ben » Fri Jan 26 11:09 am

jamwall wrote:marnie gelner is almost FSN north's version of jeanie zelasko.

she just needs to become a blond and yell a lot.

Marnie Gelner hasn't cut off Herb Carneal to sell Chalupas yet. Jeanie Zelasko is dead to me.

I didn't get the Ann Carroll bit, but I think I'm starting to understand. She's either recently divorced, or married to an editor.

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden

Post by HockeyBum » Fri Jan 26 11:12 am

Thirty-Four wrote:I call Carroll "Aging trophy wife".

Apt description. :lol:

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times

Post by Bladepuller » Fri Jan 26 11:16 am

As long as they keep "who ever it is" in the trailer producing the broadcasts at the quality they have, I'll be happy.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 75 times

Post by Greyeagle » Fri Jan 26 11:19 am

Bladepuller wrote:As long as they keep "who ever it is" in the trailer producing the broadcasts at the quality they have, I'll be happy.

Amen, MN fans are very fortunate to have FSN.
Thank you for your wine, California,
Thank you for your sweet and bitter fruits.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Re: Off the FSN Topic

Post by Zwak » Fri Jan 26 11:19 am

Chris83 wrote:Question: Is there something going on with Bob Rainey over at Channel 4? He appears to have lost a LOT of weight and his face looks very funky. Just wondering if anyone knew.

Honestly, I've never heard of the guy until reading this post. IMO, we are at the low point in local TV sports coverage. Rosen could be viewed as the Dean of local tv sports. Shaver may be a close second. I don't care for Shaver. I think Eric Perkins does a good job and he doesn't take himself very seriously.

chopper 1
Rookie

Post by chopper 1 » Fri Jan 26 12:17 pm

They should just get rid of them all and hire the kid who does the intermission reports from the "studio" for the Huskie games! :lol:

Hammy
Veteran
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Hammy » Fri Jan 26 12:27 pm

Gellner is a "hottie"? Umm, I guess different strokes for different folks. Hottie is about the last thing that comes to mind when I see her on TV. :shock:

I agree with the Ann Carroll remarks. Aging trophy wife is perfect. I think she does fine when she does taped TV stuff. But she is awful when she is doing live work. Watching her fumble around at times when she is live makes me wince. :oops:

Maybe they should hire Amber Motzko. :lol:
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Cardinal
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Cardinal » Fri Jan 26 12:31 pm

Hammy wrote:Gellner is a "hottie"? Umm, I guess different strokes for different folks. Hottie is about the last thing that comes to mind when I see her on TV. :shock:

I agree with the Ann Carroll remarks. Aging trophy wife is perfect. I think she does fine when she does taped TV stuff. But she is awful when she is doing live work. Watching her fumble around at times when she is live makes me wince. :oops:

Maybe they should hire Amber Motzko. :lol:

Gellner is okay to look at when watching sports, but yeah, certainly not a hottie. Carroll has the face of a welder's table in person...LOTS of makeup.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times

Post by Bladepuller » Fri Jan 26 12:45 pm

chopper 1 wrote:They should just get rid of them all and hire the kid who does the intermission reports from the "studio" for the Huskie games! :lol:

FSN has grads of that program all over. They even let some produce! Don't be to hard on them, they are students and it is all part of the apprenticeship. Besides, I know from the experiances of 2 family members, that being on air talent is not all that it is cracked up to be.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

GoAwayWoog
Golden
Golden

Post by GoAwayWoog » Fri Jan 26 4:39 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
chopper 1 wrote:They should just get rid of them all and hire the kid who does the intermission reports from the "studio" for the Huskie games! :lol:

FSN has grads of that program all over. They even let some produce! Don't be to hard on them, they are students and it is all part of the apprenticeship. Besides, I know from the experiances of 2 family members, that being on air talent is not all that it is cracked up to be.

Just ask Doug Woog.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Wed Feb 07 1:14 pm

Here are two of the latest stories listed on the Colleges section of StarTribune.com sports page

-Capital One Bowl: Wisconsin 17, Arkansas 14

-Knight gets win 880, passing Smith for best ever.

Might be time to update their website. I've got an inside scoop telling me that Mason and Munson are both on thin ice.

Fire Helmet Guy #26
Golden
Golden

Post by Fire Helmet Guy #26 » Wed Feb 07 1:18 pm

I'd rather listen to someone scrape their fingernails on a chalkboard then have to listen to Ann Carroll. Mary Kaye's stock must have gone up a TON since she's been on television.

Demsdontgetit
Rookie

Post by Demsdontgetit » Wed Feb 07 1:33 pm

In my opinion, they need to get Ellen Galles involved more at Fox 9. Now, there's a hottie.

With regards to current announcers, what about Simons? There were times he's interviewed Gophers on late night Sunday shows and had absolutely zero clue what was going on. Weird thing is, he was/is so darn enthusiastic it offsets his cluelessness, although the looks on Tallackson and Kaufman's faces was priceless.

Fear the Gopher
Golden
Golden

Post by Fear the Gopher » Wed Feb 07 1:36 pm

Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:
Chris83 wrote:Question: Is there something going on with Bob Rainey over at Channel 4? He appears to have lost a LOT of weight and his face looks very funky. Just wondering if anyone knew.

Honestly, I've never heard of the guy until reading this post. IMO, we are at the low point in local TV sports coverage. Rosen could be viewed as the Dean of local tv sports. Shaver may be a close second. I don't care for Shaver. I think Eric Perkins does a good job and he doesn't take himself very seriously.

While I agree, Perkins does a serviceable job, he does take himself way too seriously. Just an observation from my experiences with him...
"Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud,
after a while you realize the pig likes it."

Corpies: Teaching WPoS how to play BeerDarts since 2006

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Wed Feb 07 1:44 pm

Demsdontgetit wrote:In my opinion, they need to get Ellen Galles involved more at Fox 9. Now, there's a hottie.

With regards to current announcers, what about Simons? There were times he's interviewed Gophers on late night Sunday shows and had absolutely zero clue what was going on. Weird thing is, he was/is so darn enthusiastic it offsets his cluelessness, although the looks on Tallackson and Kaufman's faces was priceless.

I agree that Ellen Galles is rather fetching. She has something funny about her mouth though that makes it look like she is smiling, even if she is covering some sort of accident/tragedy.

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden

Post by Thirty-Four » Wed Feb 07 1:47 pm

Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:
Demsdontgetit wrote:In my opinion, they need to get Ellen Galles involved more at Fox 9. Now, there's a hottie.

I agree that Ellen Galles is rather fetching. She has something funny about her mouth though that makes it look like she is smiling, even if she is covering some sort of accident/tragedy.

NORM MACDONALD VOICE: She's a handsome woman, and by that I mean SHE LOOKS KINDA LIKE A GUY! :giggle:

Gopher Hockey Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by Gopher Hockey Rube » Wed Feb 07 2:01 pm

I was wondering the same thing about him. Does anyone have an answer? I e-mailed CJ at the Star Tribune but I never heard back from her.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Wed Feb 07 2:03 pm

Gopher Hockey Rube wrote:

I was wondering the same thing about him. Does anyone have an answer? I e-mailed CJ at the Star Tribune but I never heard back from her.

CJ's column is like my wife's People magazine. I really don't want to read it but somehow I always do.

Frontroguy
Golden
Golden

Post by Frontroguy » Wed Feb 07 2:48 pm

Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:

Holy crap you two! I have not watched FOX 9 in a long time so I have no idea what this gal looks like, but based on your coments, I find the pic on their site.

Suffice to say, when you are being sarcastic, put a smiley on or something, would ya?

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden

Post by Thirty-Four » Wed Feb 07 2:52 pm

Frontroguy wrote:
Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:

Holy crap you two! I have not watched FOX 9 in a long time so I have no idea what this gal looks like, but based on your coments, I find the pic on their site.

Suffice to say, when you are being sarcastic, put a smiley on or something, would ya?

It wouldn't have been so funny then :twisted:

I about spit out my coffee when I saw her name and "fetching". I pictured her running after a tossed milkbone!

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Wed Feb 07 2:57 pm

Thirty-Four wrote:
Frontroguy wrote:
Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:

I about spit out my coffee when I saw her name and "fetching". I pictured her running after a tossed milkbone!

"Fetching" is one of several old time terms I like to toss into conversation about girls/dating, along with "courting" and "pitching woo".

I have to say that the picture of her on the website isn't the greatest. I'm not saying she's the hottest thing on TV (Amy Hockert?), but I do think she is attractive.

Did you see th article in one of the papers about local media personalities. Leah McClain (sp) from Channel 5 is only 27. Kind of surprising that she's that young and on a major channel (if you want to call Channel 5 major.)

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden

Post by Thirty-Four » Wed Feb 07 3:01 pm

Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:
Thirty-Four wrote:
Frontroguy wrote:
Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:

"Fetching" is one of several old time terms I like to toss into conversation about girls/dating, along with "courting" and "pitching woo".

I have to say that the picture of her on the website isn't the greatest. I'm not saying she's the hottest thing on TV (Amy Hockert?), but I do think she is attractive.

Did you see th article in one of the papers about local media personalities. Leah McClain (sp) from Channel 5 is only 27. Kind of surprising that she's that young and on a major channel (if you want to call Channel 5 major.)

Oh, I've seen her quite a few times, I'll leave it at that.

I thought you were kidding, no offense meant GZfan.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Wed Feb 07 3:11 pm

Thirty-Four wrote:
Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:
Thirty-Four wrote:
Frontroguy wrote:
Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:

No offense taken. When it comes to gal's looks, people will always have differing opinions. (Except about Krissy Wendell. :D )

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden

Post by Thirty-Four » Wed Feb 07 3:13 pm

Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:
Thirty-Four wrote:
Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:
Thirty-Four wrote:
Frontroguy wrote:
Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:

No offense taken. When it comes to gal's looks, people will always have differing opinions. (Except about Krissy Wendell. :D )

OMG are you right on that one!

dxmnkd316

Post by dxmnkd316 » Wed Feb 07 3:15 pm

Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:No offense taken. When it comes to gal's looks, people will always have differing opinions. (Except about Krissy Wendell. :D )

THERE IS A GOD!

Frontroguy
Golden
Golden

Post by Frontroguy » Wed Feb 07 3:43 pm

Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:
Thirty-Four wrote:
Frontroguy wrote:
Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:

Not to rip on her, I am sure she has a nice personality and all, but she was closer to John Gallos, than a hottie (IMHO)

Ellen Galles
There is no joke here, I can not get the pic to post, so here his the LINK

John Gallos

Hottie

[img]http://www.illerdrinstudios.com/images/attractive_woman.jpg[/img]

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Feb 07 3:44 pm

Is the aforementioned as 'fetching' as the NASA gal just busted for kidnapping?

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Can you say, "nep-o-tis-m"?

Post by Zwak » Thu Feb 15 6:46 am

From Charlie Walters today (2/15):

-Ali Lucia, daughter of Gophers men's hockey coach Don Lucia, will interview her father as a reporter for Fox Sports Net North during this weekend's telecasts of the Minnesota-Colorado College games.

Composer
Veteran
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Can you say, "nep-o-tis-m"?

Post by Composer » Thu Feb 15 7:07 am

Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:From Charlie Walters today (2/15):

-Ali Lucia, daughter of Gophers men's hockey coach Don Lucia, will interview her father as a reporter for Fox Sports Net North during this weekend's telecasts of the Minnesota-Colorado College games.

Not really nepotism, though.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Re: Can you say, "nep-o-tis-m"?

Post by Zwak » Thu Feb 15 7:12 am

Composer wrote:
Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:From Charlie Walters today (2/15):

Not really nepotism, though.

I'm sure being the coaches daughter had nothing to do with her getting the job there. :)

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Mon Feb 26 1:20 pm

MinnesotaHockeyJournal.com had a note that Tom Sagissor received a promotion in his day job with RBC Dain. He is relocating from Milwaukee to Mpls.

Wonder if he'll still make the trip to cover the BADgers SUCK.

Go4 Guy
Veteran

Post by Go4 Guy » Mon Feb 26 1:29 pm

Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:MinnesotaHockeyJournal.com had a note that Tom Sagissor received a promotion in his day job with RBC Dain. He is relocating from Milwaukee to Mpls.

Wonder if he'll still make the trip to cover the BADgers SUCK.

The last few weeks that the BADgers SUCK were on TV, they had someone else in his place. After listening to the two guys they had instead..... I actually started to think Sagissor wasn't that bad, a little quirky.... but so is Woog.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Feb 26 2:29 pm

I agree that Sags was not the worst one on tv. Paul Braun is bad and the guy that replaced Sags is not much better.

Ben
Golden
Golden

Post by Ben » Mon Feb 26 2:40 pm

frozen4champs wrote:I agree that Sags was not the worst one on tv. Paul Braun is bad and the guy that replaced Sags is not much better.

That's the understatement of the day...

"Tonight's game is brought to you by Northland Ford. Both teams will start the game five-on-five. Also, Grand Casino Mille Lacs and Hinkley. Both teams are five-on-five. And by McDonalds. Both teams are playing five-on-five."

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Ali Lucia did not have a good week

Post by Zwak » Sun Jul 22 12:32 pm

This item was in Charley Walters' column today.

"It has been a tough few weeks for fast-rising Fox Sports Net North reporter Ali Lucia, who, after having her car broken into and purse stolen in St. Paul, had a gun pulled on her and a couple of friends in St. Paul that resulted in a car jacking and another stolen purse, camera and cell phone. She is the daughter of Gophers men's hockey coach Don Lucia. "

Ali is fast-rising? :confused2:

I would say the opposite. Good for her for trying but she needs to be seasoning herself in smaller markets first.

jamwall
Golden
Golden

Re: Ali Lucia did not have a good week

Post by jamwall » Sun Jul 22 12:44 pm

Zwak wrote:fast-rising Fox Sports Net North reporter Ali Lucia

"fast-rising?"

:rotflmao:
Co-National Champs: 1929
AAU National Champs: 1940
NCAA National Champs: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003...

Chris83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Chris83 » Sun Jul 22 3:06 pm

Zwak wrote:This item was in Charley Walters' column today.

"It has been a tough few weeks for fast-rising Fox Sports Net North reporter Ali Lucia, who, after having her car broken into and purse stolen in St. Paul, had a gun pulled on her and a couple of friends in St. Paul that resulted in a car jacking and another stolen purse, camera and cell phone. She is the daughter of Gophers men's hockey coach Don Lucia. "

Ali is fast-rising? :confused2:

I would say the opposite. Good for her for trying but she needs to be seasoning herself in smaller markets first.

Now, now; be nice to the Shooter. It's hard to keep everything straight when you have to kiss so many asses at one time. :giggle:
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

dailyfbo
Golden
Golden

Post by dailyfbo » Mon Jul 23 10:47 am

jamwall wrote:
Zwak wrote:fast-rising Fox Sports Net North reporter Ali Lucia

"fast-rising?"

:rotflmao:

She's approaching the Ann Carroll level and has Marny Gellner and Anne Hutchinson in her sights.

Kyle
Rookie

HD question

Post by Kyle » Mon Jul 23 12:18 pm

I have caught a few Twins games on FSN HD .....QUESTION - Are Wild and Gopher games broadcast in HD as well? If so how many?

Ben
Golden
Golden

Re: HD question

Post by Ben » Mon Jul 23 12:25 pm

Kyle wrote:I have caught a few Twins games on FSN HD .....QUESTION - Are Wild and Gopher games broadcast in HD as well? If so how many?

I've wondered about that, too. And quite honestly, I'm a little worried. The only thing they have on FSN HD right now is a handful Twins games. Would they want to "waste" the time, effort, and money to broadcast the Gophers and Wild?
"If lessons are learned in defeat, our team is getting a great education."
- Murray Warmath

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Jul 23 2:16 pm

I noticed that Reusse took his monthly shot at Gopher athletics over the weekend, this time chastising Brewster by essentially claiming he didn't need to publicly pat himself on the back by doing something that was most likely a no-brainer (letting the 4 players go), that if they are trying to instill a culture of integrity it didn't work on those players, and that Brewster didn't really have to make that decision because Maturi would have had to. He kind of had a point in that it was a no-brainer decision to kick them off, but he took it too far by claiming Brewster was blowing smoke and is a used car salesman in cleats.

pjoyn
Veteran

Post by pjoyn » Mon Jul 23 2:20 pm

Ben wrote:
Kyle wrote:I have caught a few Twins games on FSN HD .....QUESTION - Are Wild and Gopher games broadcast in HD as well? If so how many?

I've wondered about that, too. And quite honestly, I'm a little worried. The only thing they have on FSN HD right now is a handful Twins games. Would they want to "waste" the time, effort, and money to broadcast the Gophers and Wild?

Actually, there were a few Wild games in HD this past season. I guess it all depends if the cameras at Mariucci get upgraded to HD cameras.
#1 Super Guy!!!

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Wed Jul 25 7:13 am

Ben wrote:

If you want to get DHG's blood boiling, comment to him about the Gophs not being in HD. I was reading on his site that UMD might not have their games televised at all this year.

I didn't realize how many WCHA teams have mediocre at best TV availability.

Kyle
Rookie

Post by Kyle » Wed Jul 25 10:32 am

Zwak wrote:
Ben wrote:

If you want to get DHG's blood boiling, comment to him about the Gophs not being in HD. I was reading on his site that UMD might not have their games televised at all this year.

I can vouch for that - I spent 7 years in Grand Forks watching high school AV Club-quality broadcasts of select Whioux games.

stan_5150
Veteran

Post by stan_5150 » Wed Jul 25 10:34 am

Kyle wrote:I can vouch for that - I spent 7 years in Grand Forks watching high school AV Club-quality broadcasts of select Whioux games.

I didn't realize the refs controlled the media as well.
Updated 4/13 StanimalsWorld

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Wed Jul 25 10:49 am

Kyle wrote:
Zwak wrote:
Ben wrote:

I can vouch for that - I spent 7 years in Grand Forks watching high school AV Club-quality broadcasts of select Whioux games.

I didn't mean just the quality but the also the availability. I didn't realize that there are some schools that only televise some of their games, if at all.

I guess we're spoiled....and I love it! :evil_laugh:

stan_5150
Veteran

Post by stan_5150 » Wed Jul 25 10:53 am

Spoiled=Arrogant

:wink:
Updated 4/13 StanimalsWorld

gopher_fan_in_sue_land
Veteran

Post by gopher_fan_in_sue_land » Wed Jul 25 11:17 am

Kyle wrote:
Zwak wrote:
Ben wrote:

I don't know when you were in Grand Forks, but since UND has been in the new building and the FSSN broadcasts have begun, UND actually has very high quality video coverage of their home games. I would actually rather watch their video feed than FSN when they play the gophers. The play by play on the other hand makes them almost intolerable to watch...........even on mute. Man they suck.

Kyle
Rookie

Post by Kyle » Wed Jul 25 1:42 pm

gopher_fan_in_sue_land wrote:
Kyle wrote:
Zwak wrote:
Ben wrote:

I don't know when you were in Grand Forks, but since UND has been in the new building and the FSSN broadcasts have begun, UND actually has very high quality video coverage of their home games. I would actually rather watch their video feed than FSN when they play the gophers. The play by play on the other hand makes them almost intolerable to watch...........even on mute. Man they suck.

I left GF just as the FSSN was starting up. I was stuck with WDAZ and Sweeny broadcasting just a handful of games per season.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Kevin Gorg added to Gopher Hockey Broadcasts

Post by Zwak » Fri Aug 31 6:30 am

From Judd Zulgad's column today:

Kevin Gorg has resigned as women's hockey coach at St. Thomas to accept an expanded role on FSN North's hockey coverage.Gorg, who was doing studio analysis for Wild games and is the game analyst for FSN's high school hockey coverage, will join the Gophers coverage.

http://www.startribune.com/129/story/1393316.html

:shock:

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 44 times

Re: Kevin Gorg added to Gopher Hockey Broadcasts

Post by Jupiter » Fri Aug 31 8:47 am

Zwak wrote:From Judd Zulgad's column today:

Kevin Gorg has resigned as women's hockey coach at St. Thomas to accept an expanded role on FSN North's hockey coverage.Gorg, who was doing studio analysis for Wild games and is the game analyst for FSN's high school hockey coverage, will join the Gophers coverage.

Which most likely means that we won't be seeing much of Jeff Dubay or Ali Lucia this season on FSN.... Right?

Greyeagle
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 75 times

Post by Greyeagle » Fri Aug 31 8:51 am

Isn't Gorg the big sweat?
Thank you for your wine, California,
Thank you for your sweet and bitter fruits.

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Fri Aug 31 8:53 am

Jupiter wrote:

Which most likely means that we won't be seeing much of Jeff Dubay or Ali Lucia this season on FSN.... Right?

One can only hope we won't be subject to that anymore. I don't know how many more interviews by Ali Lucia I could take!

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden

Post by Thirty-Four » Fri Aug 31 9:16 am

Good. Gorg knows hockey better. :dance: :dance:

Reg Dunlop
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Reg Dunlop » Fri Aug 31 9:19 am

Thirty-Four wrote:

I think Puffy and Gorg in studio together would be a good match.
"Let 'em know you're there!"

Thirty-four: "Reg, I gotta tell you, of all the people on the board, you are one of the five I'd like to buy a beer!" :beerchug:

Frozen Four: BSU=JBSU=LOL

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden

Post by Thirty-Four » Fri Aug 31 9:19 am

Reg Dunlop wrote:
Thirty-Four wrote:

I think Puffy and Gorg in studio together would be a good match.

Not for the buffet table! :wave:

jimbobillybob
Rookie

Post by jimbobillybob » Fri Aug 31 10:24 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Jupiter wrote:

One can only hope we won't be subject to that anymore. I don't know how many more interviews by Ali Lucia I could take!

Try doing as I do:
Hit the mute button and enjoy the view :shock:

dailyfbo
Golden
Golden

Post by dailyfbo » Fri Aug 31 11:52 am

Anybody remember when Eric Nelson, now on WCCO on weekends, was the sideline reporter for Gophers hockey on MSC? Now he was terrible. Everytime he was on, he nodded at the camera while he talked. Gotta figure Gorg is better than that.

Plus, Gorgie can give betting lines on the game.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Ali Lucia has a new job

Post by Zwak » Wed Jan 09 5:21 am

From Charley Walters' column today:

Ubiquitous Ali Lucia, who has worked in several sports reporting capacities in the Twin Cities, has accepted a TV anchoring-news reporter position with Fox 47 in Rochester, Minn. She is the daughter of Gophers men's hockey coach Don Lucia.

http://www.twincities.com/dailydose/ci_7917183

gr81
Rookie

Post by gr81 » Wed Jan 09 10:52 am

"... several sports reporting capacities in the Twin Cities" :confused2:

Was she really involved in several? I remember a horrible HS football interview she did, and a horrible hockey interview, and a horrible ...

But is that several capacities? Weren't they all for FSN?