Restaurant

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
User avatar
george
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5760
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:14 am
Location: Edina
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by george » Wed Jun 03 2:47 pm

I had lunch with 5 friends today at the Hilltop in Edina. First time back together at a restaurant since the shutdown started. We've had several Zoom lunches and one lunch at the park in front of US Bank stadium where we all bought from food trucks.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 32213
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 225 times
Contact:

Re: Restaurant

Post by The Rube » Sat Jun 06 10:02 am

Say goodbye to Holy Land in the Midtown Market:

https://kstp.com/minnesota-news/midtown ... ium=onsite
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Kelly Red
Veteran
Posts: 3176
Joined: Wed Dec 05 4:12 pm
Location: High Horse
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 137 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by Kelly Red » Sat Jun 06 12:14 pm

We went out to dinner last night! Yippie!! Outdoor patio at Taberna Tacos. All the new precautions in place and it was fine. It was so nice to get out of our kitchen, enjoy a drink, banter with the very happy wait staff and scarf down a variety of tacos. Patio was full, although social distancing, and everyone was having a good time.
Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let’s go. We’re burning daylight.
-John Wayne

User avatar
D2D
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2985
Joined: Wed Oct 24 12:48 am
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 110 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by D2D » Sat Jun 06 7:32 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Sat Jun 06 12:14 pm
We went out to dinner last night! Yippie!! Outdoor patio at Taberna Tacos. All the new precautions in place and it was fine. It was so nice to get out of our kitchen, enjoy a drink, banter with the very happy wait staff and scarf down a variety of tacos. Patio was full, although social distancing, and everyone was having a good time.
Good for you! Hopefully your new dining experience will become universal, as others begin to safely take advantage of their restaurant options and eventually all unnecessary restrictions will eventually be lifted.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 17010
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 282 times
Contact:

Re: Restaurant

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Jun 06 11:13 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sat Jun 06 10:02 am
Say goodbye to Holy Land in the Midtown Market:

https://kstp.com/minnesota-news/midtown ... ium=onsite
Bummer. I obviously haven't been for several years but our whole family enjoyed eating there.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
george
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5760
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:14 am
Location: Edina
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by george » Sun Jun 07 12:04 pm

Wife and I went to a little winery in WI last night to see a friend of mine from high school perform. Limited menu, just had natchos and wine. Nice to be out of the nanny state so one can dine in civilized fashion. :wink:

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4045
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 153 times
Been liked: 132 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by Bladepuller » Sun Jun 07 2:49 pm

george wrote:
Sun Jun 07 12:04 pm
Wife and I went to a little winery in WI last night to see a friend of mine from high school perform. Limited menu, just had natchos and wine. Nice to be out of the nanny state so one can dine in civilized fashion. :wink:
WHAT! No cake?
You better be careful over in Cheesehead land. For them NSF standards are a suggestion. One quick swipe with a damb bar rag that is used to clean up slopped Old Style passes for sanitizing.
You need to have been exposed to the rougher side of MN and developed some herd immunity. :biggrin2:
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
george
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5760
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:14 am
Location: Edina
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by george » Sun Jun 07 3:07 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Sun Jun 07 2:49 pm
george wrote:
Sun Jun 07 12:04 pm
Wife and I went to a little winery in WI last night to see a friend of mine from high school perform. Limited menu, just had natchos and wine. Nice to be out of the nanny state so one can dine in civilized fashion. :wink:
WHAT! No cake?
You better be careful over in Cheesehead land. For them NSF standards are a suggestion. One quick swipe with a damb bar rag that is used to clean up slopped Old Style passes for sanitizing.
You need to have been exposed to the rougher side of MN and developed some herd immunity. :biggrin2:
This wasn't the biker bars you hang out in Blade. This was a refined winery that grows Minnesota bred grapes (literally, the wife of the couple who own is daughter if the UMN prof who bred the winter hardy wine grapes). No Old Style around, nor dirty bar rags, just craft beers and wine.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 32213
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 225 times
Contact:

Re: Restaurant

Post by The Rube » Sun Jun 07 4:04 pm

george wrote:
Sun Jun 07 3:07 pm
Bladepuller wrote:
Sun Jun 07 2:49 pm
george wrote:
Sun Jun 07 12:04 pm
Wife and I went to a little winery in WI last night to see a friend of mine from high school perform. Limited menu, just had natchos and wine. Nice to be out of the nanny state so one can dine in civilized fashion. :wink:
WHAT! No cake?
You better be careful over in Cheesehead land. For them NSF standards are a suggestion. One quick swipe with a damb bar rag that is used to clean up slopped Old Style passes for sanitizing.
You need to have been exposed to the rougher side of MN and developed some herd immunity. :biggrin2:
This wasn't the biker bars you hang out in Blade. This was a refined winery that grows Minnesota bred grapes (literally, the wife of the couple who own is daughter if the UMN prof who bred the winter hardy wine grapes). No Old Style around, nor dirty bar rags, just craft beers and wine.
Jesus, you're beginning to sound like me. I'd be careful with that. ;) :D
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4045
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 153 times
Been liked: 132 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by Bladepuller » Mon Jun 08 7:45 pm

george wrote:
Sun Jun 07 3:07 pm
Bladepuller wrote:
Sun Jun 07 2:49 pm
george wrote:
Sun Jun 07 12:04 pm
Wife and I went to a little winery in WI last night to see a friend of mine from high school perform. Limited menu, just had natchos and wine. Nice to be out of the nanny state so one can dine in civilized fashion. :wink:
WHAT! No cake?
You better be careful over in Cheesehead land. For them NSF standards are a suggestion. One quick swipe with a damb bar rag that is used to clean up slopped Old Style passes for sanitizing.
You need to have been exposed to the rougher side of MN and developed some herd immunity. :biggrin2:
This wasn't the biker bars you hang out in Blade. This was a refined winery that grows Minnesota bred grapes (literally, the wife of the couple who own is daughter if the UMN prof who bred the winter hardy wine grapes). No Old Style around, nor dirty bar rags, just craft beers and wine.
Biker bars are where I've had some of the best times I can't remember. 🤔
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9344
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 88 times
Age: 48

Re: Restaurant

Post by Steve MN » Mon Jun 08 8:06 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Mon Jun 08 7:45 pm
george wrote:
Sun Jun 07 3:07 pm
Bladepuller wrote:
Sun Jun 07 2:49 pm
george wrote:
Sun Jun 07 12:04 pm
Wife and I went to a little winery in WI last night to see a friend of mine from high school perform. Limited menu, just had natchos and wine. Nice to be out of the nanny state so one can dine in civilized fashion. :wink:
WHAT! No cake?
You better be careful over in Cheesehead land. For them NSF standards are a suggestion. One quick swipe with a damb bar rag that is used to clean up slopped Old Style passes for sanitizing.
You need to have been exposed to the rougher side of MN and developed some herd immunity. :biggrin2:
This wasn't the biker bars you hang out in Blade. This was a refined winery that grows Minnesota bred grapes (literally, the wife of the couple who own is daughter if the UMN prof who bred the winter hardy wine grapes). No Old Style around, nor dirty bar rags, just craft beers and wine.
Biker bars are where I've had some of the best times I can't remember. 🤔
"Can't" or "Don't want to" ?

Both, is, of course a possiblity.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4045
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 153 times
Been liked: 132 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by Bladepuller » Mon Jun 08 9:10 pm

Both are also true.
I like rowdy times, at times. Live is too short to live sitting on the sidelines. Engage man! Is words to live by, IMHO
I can also appreciate more esoteric cerebral times, but live 'cuz you never know when it will all end.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6387
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 198 times
Age: 54

Re: Restaurant

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Jun 10 7:23 pm


User avatar
D2D
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2985
Joined: Wed Oct 24 12:48 am
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 110 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by D2D » Wed Jun 10 7:48 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Jun 10 7:23 pm
"Structural issue"? Hmmm...
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

User avatar
Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Posts: 12551
Joined: Mon Nov 14 12:11 pm
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times
Age: 42

Re: Restaurant

Post by Armadillo » Wed Jun 10 7:50 pm

The "structural issue" is probably "being Stub and Herb's."
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 7838
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 75 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by Bigbeer » Wed Jun 10 7:54 pm

Armadillo wrote:
Wed Jun 10 7:50 pm
The "structural issue" is probably "being Stub and Herb's."
They probably tried to clean and subverted the buildings structural integrity.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Posts: 12551
Joined: Mon Nov 14 12:11 pm
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times
Age: 42

Re: Restaurant

Post by Armadillo » Wed Jun 10 7:57 pm

The grime is all that's holding the place together!!!
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

User avatar
Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Posts: 15091
Joined: Wed Apr 09 10:45 am
Location: The Sticks
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 359 times
Age: 48
Contact:

Re: Restaurant

Post by Jupiter » Wed Jun 10 8:08 pm

I do not believe I have ever been to Stub & Herb's.
:swoon2: :swoon2: :swoon2:

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10933
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 276 times
Age: 45

Re: Restaurant

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Jun 10 8:13 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Wed Jun 10 8:08 pm
I do not believe I have ever been to Stub & Herb's.
:swoon2: :swoon2: :swoon2:
That’s not funny.

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6387
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 198 times
Age: 54

Re: Restaurant

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Jun 10 8:16 pm

All I can say is that it has "character". Not my go to place, but I'm sure at some point it will meet its fate like the old Sally's and Campus Pizza. Too many modern places with no nostalgia around campus now.

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3574
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 93 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by Norm » Wed Jun 10 8:50 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Jun 10 7:23 pm
Too bad they didn't have time to check it out over the last 2.5 months.

User avatar
Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15000
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 87 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Jun 10 11:32 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Jun 10 8:16 pm
All I can say is that it has "character". Not my go to place, but I'm sure at some point it will meet its fate like the old Sally's and Campus Pizza. Too many modern places with no nostalgia around campus now.
You can have character but if your food isn't anything special you won't really be missed much. Just like Sally's.

CP on the other hand was a big loss. I put this as my second biggest hit to the Gopher hockey experience in the last ten years or so after the Big Ten as the biggest hit. (Half full student sections is up there, too.) It was so nice to eat and drink pregame down there. Now, nowhere around interests me. Blue Door's quality has gone downhill and it's not the easy walking distance.

But I am hooked on Surly's pizza now, and combine that with the beer and Taj Mahal brew hall that will probably get a number of pregame chances whenever next season is.
Loserville, USA
109 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8008
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 352 times
Age: 33

Re: Restaurant

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Jun 10 11:43 pm

D2D wrote:
Wed Jun 10 7:48 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Jun 10 7:23 pm
"Structural issue"? Hmmm...
Well I know they’ve been unable to use the basement for quite some time due to not being up to code..., and a waitress I spoke with a couple years ago made it sound like there were no plans to fix it because the owner was probably going to sell in the near future. I don’t know if that’s still the case but that makes me doubt they’ll invest in repair if it’s anything significant.

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10933
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 276 times
Age: 45

Re: Restaurant

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jun 11 6:21 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Wed Jun 10 11:43 pm
D2D wrote:
Wed Jun 10 7:48 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Jun 10 7:23 pm
"Structural issue"? Hmmm...
Well I know they’ve been unable to use the basement for quite some time due to not being up to code..., and a waitress I spoke with a couple years ago made it sound like there were no plans to fix it because the owner was probably going to sell in the near future. I don’t know if that’s still the case but that makes me doubt they’ll invest in repair if it’s anything significant.
Where the bathrooms were located? That’s a problem.

That place always had starchy electrical.

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8008
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 352 times
Age: 33

Re: Restaurant

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Jun 11 9:31 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Jun 11 6:21 am
Cowgirl wrote:
Wed Jun 10 11:43 pm
D2D wrote:
Wed Jun 10 7:48 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Jun 10 7:23 pm
"Structural issue"? Hmmm...
Well I know they’ve been unable to use the basement for quite some time due to not being up to code..., and a waitress I spoke with a couple years ago made it sound like there were no plans to fix it because the owner was probably going to sell in the near future. I don’t know if that’s still the case but that makes me doubt they’ll invest in repair if it’s anything significant.
Where the bathrooms were located? That’s a problem.

That place always had starchy electrical.
Yeah. The last two seasons no one has been allowed to sit down there.

User avatar
Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Posts: 2693
Joined: Tue Feb 09 8:49 am
Location: NE Mpls
Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 62 times
Age: 42
Contact:

Re: Restaurant

Post by Vegoe » Thu Jun 11 10:12 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Wed Jun 10 11:43 pm
Well I know they’ve been unable to use the basement for quite some time due to not being up to code..., and a waitress I spoke with a couple years ago made it sound like there were no plans to fix it because the owner was probably going to sell in the near future. I don’t know if that’s still the case but that makes me doubt they’ll invest in repair if it’s anything significant.
For the immediate walking distance to the athletics facilities, it has the best beer snob offerings. The food is just okay.

They did sell to the UMN Foundation, but have a lease for the site. The University has been fairly aggressive purchasing properties around campus for future expansion. They call it the East Gateway Project and basically the high level planning was approved in February 2020: https://regents.umn.edu/sites/regents.u ... -final.pdf

The University has seen what has happened along Washington Aveue with the new high rise luxury student housing and would like to have control over it. 'A place defined by uncoordinated private development... a desireable location, but vulnerable to explosive growth with no green space, too much density, no connectivity and uncoordinated planning.'

They have four phases to run in years 1-5, 6-10, 11-15 and 16-20 that will build out:

First Floor
• Goal of vibrant and safe ground floor with mix of student-owned businesses, retail, culture,
dining and other uses to create an active pedestrian experience
Hospitality and Event Space
• Designed to respond to University and market needs
Commercial Space
• Incubator, innovation, and research start-ups spaces
Residential Space
• Multifamily residential units with affordable housing and designed to respond to market
demands and University goals, taking into account future student housing need

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10500
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 152 times
Age: 54

Re: Restaurant

Post by Zwak » Thu Jun 11 10:13 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Jun 11 9:31 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Jun 11 6:21 am
Cowgirl wrote:
Wed Jun 10 11:43 pm
D2D wrote:
Wed Jun 10 7:48 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Jun 10 7:23 pm
"Structural issue"? Hmmm...
Well I know they’ve been unable to use the basement for quite some time due to not being up to code..., and a waitress I spoke with a couple years ago made it sound like there were no plans to fix it because the owner was probably going to sell in the near future. I don’t know if that’s still the case but that makes me doubt they’ll invest in repair if it’s anything significant.
Where the bathrooms were located? That’s a problem.

That place always had starchy electrical.
Yeah. The last two seasons no one has been allowed to sit down there.
Stub & Herb's was never one of my favorite places on campus. It always seemed dirty and sticky in there. Really needed a good deep cleaning.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9344
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 88 times
Age: 48

Re: Restaurant

Post by Steve MN » Thu Jun 11 11:19 am

Zwak wrote:
Thu Jun 11 10:13 am
Stub & Herb's was never one of my favorite places on campus. It always seemed dirty and sticky in there. Really needed a good deep cleaning.
As someone else mentioned... I suspect that they gave it that deep cleaning, and some of that dirt was helping keep the place together.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8008
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 352 times
Age: 33

Re: Restaurant

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Jun 11 11:53 am

Zwak wrote:
Thu Jun 11 10:13 am
Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Jun 11 9:31 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Jun 11 6:21 am
Cowgirl wrote:
Wed Jun 10 11:43 pm
D2D wrote:
Wed Jun 10 7:48 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Jun 10 7:23 pm
"Structural issue"? Hmmm...
Well I know they’ve been unable to use the basement for quite some time due to not being up to code..., and a waitress I spoke with a couple years ago made it sound like there were no plans to fix it because the owner was probably going to sell in the near future. I don’t know if that’s still the case but that makes me doubt they’ll invest in repair if it’s anything significant.
Where the bathrooms were located? That’s a problem.

That place always had starchy electrical.
Yeah. The last two seasons no one has been allowed to sit down there.
Stub & Herb's was never one of my favorite places on campus. It always seemed dirty and sticky in there. Really needed a good deep cleaning.
Not disagreeing, but not much left of the old campus atmosphere. It’s just stuffy apartments and trendy eateries now.

User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 6009
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 67 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by bearpaw28 » Thu Jun 11 12:04 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Jun 10 8:16 pm
All I can say is that it has "character". Not my go to place, but I'm sure at some point it will meet its fate like the old Sally's and Campus Pizza. Too many modern places with no nostalgia around campus now.
Exactly, the place is nostalgic...lots of great photos from Gopher Sports through the decades...It’s a dive bar with decent bar food in a GREAT location. Some people have a hard time accepting a joint like Stub $ Herbs for what it is & was...and the grime is likely from all the smoking that occurred within its confines for countless years...fortunately those days have been long gone for awhile now But if you don’t feel a tug of nostalgia within the confines of S&H, you’re pretty much a soulless automaton when it comes to Gopher Sports fandom 🔥

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10500
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 152 times
Age: 54

Re: Restaurant

Post by Zwak » Thu Jun 11 1:12 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Thu Jun 11 12:04 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Jun 10 8:16 pm
All I can say is that it has "character". Not my go to place, but I'm sure at some point it will meet its fate like the old Sally's and Campus Pizza. Too many modern places with no nostalgia around campus now.
Exactly, the place is nostalgic...lots of great photos from Gopher Sports through the decades...It’s a dive bar with decent bar food in a GREAT location. Some people have a hard time accepting a joint like Stub $ Herbs for what it is & was...and the grime is likely from all the smoking that occurred within its confines for countless years...fortunately those days have been long gone for awhile now But if you don’t feel a tug of nostalgia within the confines of S&H, you’re pretty much a soulless automaton when it comes to Gopher Sports fandom 🔥
I hear what you’re saying but I just don’t have a lot of nostalgia about the place to begin with. In the mid to late 80’s when I went to the U the stadium village bars we went to were Birds (eventually became Sally’s) and Station 19. Those were our go-to places.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Posts: 12551
Joined: Mon Nov 14 12:11 pm
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times
Age: 42

Re: Restaurant

Post by Armadillo » Thu Jun 11 6:24 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Wed Jun 10 8:08 pm
I do not believe I have ever been to Stub & Herb's.
:swoon2: :swoon2: :swoon2:
Yes you have; you were at that Evening w/Glen Sonmor where you told me and pregnant La Dilla that we were "done."

:mrgreen:
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10933
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 276 times
Age: 45

Re: Restaurant

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jun 11 6:47 pm

Armadillo wrote:
Thu Jun 11 6:24 pm
Jupiter wrote:
Wed Jun 10 8:08 pm
I do not believe I have ever been to Stub & Herb's.
:swoon2: :swoon2: :swoon2:
Yes you have; you were at that Evening w/Glen Sonmor where you told me and pregnant La Dilla that we were "done."

:mrgreen:
He wasn’t wrong.

User avatar
Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Posts: 15091
Joined: Wed Apr 09 10:45 am
Location: The Sticks
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 359 times
Age: 48
Contact:

Re: Restaurant

Post by Jupiter » Thu Jun 11 10:51 pm

Armadillo wrote:
Thu Jun 11 6:24 pm
Jupiter wrote:
Wed Jun 10 8:08 pm
I do not believe I have ever been to Stub & Herb's.
:swoon2: :swoon2: :swoon2:
Yes you have; you were at that Evening w/Glen Sonmor where you told me and pregnant La Dilla that we were "done."

:mrgreen:
I had no idea that was S&H

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4045
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 153 times
Been liked: 132 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by Bladepuller » Thu Jun 11 10:58 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Thu Jun 11 10:51 pm
Armadillo wrote:
Thu Jun 11 6:24 pm
Jupiter wrote:
Wed Jun 10 8:08 pm
I do not believe I have ever been to Stub & Herb's.
:swoon2: :swoon2: :swoon2:
Yes you have; you were at that Evening w/Glen Sonmor where you told me and pregnant La Dilla that we were "done."

:mrgreen:
I had no idea that was S&H
I've had nights like that too. :shots:
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 19909
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 437 times
Age: 54

Re: Restaurant

Post by Greyeagle » Fri Jun 12 7:16 am

The long suffering Mrs. GE and I went to Chianti Grill last night for dinner, it was really nice to get out and we did not feel at all nervous about how they managed spacing.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10500
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 152 times
Age: 54

Re: Restaurant

Post by Zwak » Fri Jun 12 7:37 am

If you are on Facebook (sorry @Cowgirl ) there is a group called Minnesota State Fair Food Finder. In there you kind find pop up stands selling State Fair food.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8008
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 352 times
Age: 33

Re: Restaurant

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Jun 12 8:07 am

Zwak wrote:
Fri Jun 12 7:37 am
If you are on Facebook (sorry @Cowgirl ) there is a group called Minnesota State Fair Food Finder. In there you kind find pop up stands selling State Fair food.
It appears to be a public group...so the non-conformers such as I can still find out where to find a few thousand extra calories. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10933
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 276 times
Age: 45

Re: Restaurant

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Jun 12 9:50 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Fri Jun 12 8:07 am
Zwak wrote:
Fri Jun 12 7:37 am
If you are on Facebook (sorry @Cowgirl ) there is a group called Minnesota State Fair Food Finder. In there you kind find pop up stands selling State Fair food.
It appears to be a public group...so the non-conformers such as I can still find out where to find a few thousand extra calories. :mrgreen:
Stay strong, sister!

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 3474
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 164 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by Karlsson » Fri Jun 12 9:51 am

Bladepuller wrote:
Thu Jun 11 10:58 pm
Jupiter wrote:
Thu Jun 11 10:51 pm
Armadillo wrote:
Thu Jun 11 6:24 pm
Jupiter wrote:
Wed Jun 10 8:08 pm
I do not believe I have ever been to Stub & Herb's.
:swoon2: :swoon2: :swoon2:
Yes you have; you were at that Evening w/Glen Sonmor where you told me and pregnant La Dilla that we were "done."

:mrgreen:
I had no idea that was S&H
I've had nights like that too. :shots:
Same. Went into BlackStack Brewing last spring and said, "Wow. I really like this place, really neat space and good beers! We should definitely cone back." My wife along with Neat Hat and his significant other said, "Dude, this is the fourth time we've been here."

Oops.

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10933
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 276 times
Age: 45

Re: Restaurant

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jun 18 3:57 pm

Who's been to the Milwaukee Burger Company? This menu looks as ridiculously unhealthy as you would imagine a Wisconsin bar to be, but gluttony is my sin of choice.

https://milwaukeeburgercompany.com/

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6387
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 198 times
Age: 54

Re: Restaurant

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Jun 18 4:44 pm

Blarney's by the U is still closed. According to their Facebook/Instagram they hope to open around the 4th of July. They are doing some remodeling during the time they are closed. Here is part of their post.
Knowing how difficult this would be, I have to make the decision that your well-being is our first priority and we will remain closed for a while longer. Currently we are doing some projects and remodeling that should open up the space some more. I am hopeful that we will be ready to open after the 4th of July and will keep updates coming. Looking forward to seeing all of our friends again soon.
*** side note--- still no word from Stub & Herbs about how long their " structural" issues will take to resolve.

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3574
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 93 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by Norm » Thu Jun 18 6:55 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Jun 18 4:44 pm
Blarney's by the U is still closed. According to their Facebook/Instagram they hope to open around the 4th of July. They are doing some remodeling during the time they are closed.

Where do the hockey players go for a beer?

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 7838
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 75 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by Bigbeer » Thu Jun 18 8:27 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Jun 18 3:57 pm
Who's been to the Milwaukee Burger Company? This menu looks as ridiculously unhealthy as you would imagine a Wisconsin bar to be, but gluttony is my sin of choice.

https://milwaukeeburgercompany.com/
Yeah it’s pretty good. We go to the Hudson one all the time, I have a BIL from MN who insists we go there every time he comes to town. Spectacular beer selection too. Plus no restrictions over here.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10500
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 152 times
Age: 54

Re: Restaurant

Post by Zwak » Fri Jun 19 11:10 am

State Fair restaurant The Blue Barn is making some of their State Fair menu items available at their restaurants on 4th of July. Also having a food truck.

https://www.startribune.com/the-iconic- ... 571367592/

p.s. Full disclosure...I have worked for the Blue Barn. I highly recommend their food as it is 90% made from scratch.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 3474
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 164 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by Karlsson » Thu Jun 25 8:35 am

Tori 44 (formerly Victory 44) hit by a car speeding down Osseo again. I've lost track of how many times that's happened in the five years I've lived around here.

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10500
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 152 times
Age: 54

Re: Restaurant

Post by Zwak » Thu Jun 25 8:50 am

Karlsson wrote:
Thu Jun 25 8:35 am
Tori 44 (formerly Victory 44) hit by a car speeding down Osseo again. I've lost track of how many times that's happened in the five years I've lived around here.
That used to happen to the old Savoy Pizza in St. Paul. Before the redesign of the Lafayatte Bridge, Highway 52 aimed right at Savoy's. There were many instances of cars and motorcycles that lost control and crashed into Savoys. They ended up putting in a concrete barrier in front to help absorb any future crashes. It's a moot point now as Savoys is closed and Highway 52 has been re-routed.

Mama's Pizza on the East side had that problem too. Unfortunately for them their as their gas main/meter was towards the front of the building. Last time a car crashed into the building it JUST missed the gas main/meter which would have been a disaster. After that crash they had the gas main/meter moved to the back in a more protected area.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6387
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 198 times
Age: 54

Re: Restaurant

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Jul 16 7:02 pm

The 508 bar in Minneapolis is closing as is Bellecour in Wayzata.

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10135
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 144 times
Age: 45

Re: Restaurant

Post by davescharf » Thu Jul 16 8:32 pm

Bellecour is Gavin Kaysen’s place isn’t it?
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6387
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 198 times
Age: 54

Re: Restaurant

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Jul 16 8:44 pm

davescharf wrote:
Thu Jul 16 8:32 pm
Bellecour is Gavin Kaysen’s place isn’t it?
Yep

User avatar
Gopherguy05
Veteran
Posts: 4982
Joined: Fri Dec 01 8:52 pm
Location: West St. Paul
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 23 times
Age: 38

Re: Restaurant

Post by Gopherguy05 » Thu Jul 16 9:12 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Jul 16 7:02 pm
The 508 bar in Minneapolis is closing as is Bellecour in Wayzata.
508 is a big Badger Bar if you want to find any small iota of positivity in a restaurant closing.

User avatar
Gopherguy05
Veteran
Posts: 4982
Joined: Fri Dec 01 8:52 pm
Location: West St. Paul
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 23 times
Age: 38

Re: Restaurant

Post by Gopherguy05 » Thu Jul 16 10:36 pm

Not sure if anyone is a French Meadow Bakery fan....but I'd think hard about it if I was after reading the linked post in this tweet. Oof.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 32213
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 225 times
Contact:

Re: Restaurant

Post by The Rube » Thu Jul 16 10:53 pm

Gonna wait to see the response. There's always another side, as we've seen in the craft beer world lately (and in fact, that other side didn't do anything to dispel the ex-worker's side). BUT it was good to know that the consumers' decisions on boycotts and such were justified.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6387
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 198 times
Age: 54

Re: Restaurant

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Jul 17 5:27 am

It is the power of social media. Obviously don't know what the real story is, but now a disgruntled employee or customer can go on social media and say what ever they wish, true or not. I'm always skeptical of former employees who take to social media to air their dirty laundry. It is a bad look for French Meadow for sure and I'm guessing there is truth in some of those remarks. But it does work both ways. If I was in a hiring position these days, I would use social media to check out potential employees and posting things like that on her acct would make me really think twice about hiring her. I would also wonder if she would do this to me if things didn't work out.

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10500
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 152 times
Age: 54

Re: Restaurant

Post by Zwak » Fri Jul 17 8:37 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Fri Jul 17 5:27 am
It is the power of social media. Obviously don't know what the real story is, but now a disgruntled employee or customer can go on social media and say what ever they wish, true or not. I'm always skeptical of former employees who take to social media to air their dirty laundry. It is a bad look for French Meadow for sure and I'm guessing there is truth in some of those remarks. But it does work both ways. If I was in a hiring position these days, I would use social media to check out potential employees and posting things like that on her acct would make me really think twice about hiring her. I would also wonder if she would do this to me if things didn't work out.
I totally agree with this. There is a local pizza place that had an employee who on their own personal page (not company page) posted some very controversial memes of BLM protesters. People found out that this person worked at this pizza place and started a boycott and social media tirade about this company. The pizza place ended up taking down their Facebook page. I totally felt bad for the business owner. Not sure what he was supposed to do. I'm sure his business was already down considerably because of COVID and now he has to deal with the fallout of an employee who posted something controversial on his own personal page (while he was laid off from pizza place).
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4045
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 153 times
Been liked: 132 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by Bladepuller » Fri Jul 17 10:35 am

And this just reinforces my personal opinion that social media will be the ruin of society.
Is GPL social media? 😉
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
MATT
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3710
Joined: Fri Feb 02 10:41 pm
Location: North Carolina
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 31 times
Age: 35

Re: Restaurant

Post by MATT » Fri Jul 17 11:07 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Fri Jul 17 5:27 am
It is the power of social media. Obviously don't know what the real story is, but now a disgruntled employee or customer can go on social media and say what ever they wish, true or not. I'm always skeptical of former employees who take to social media to air their dirty laundry. It is a bad look for French Meadow for sure and I'm guessing there is truth in some of those remarks. But it does work both ways. If I was in a hiring position these days, I would use social media to check out potential employees and posting things like that on her acct would make me really think twice about hiring her. I would also wonder if she would do this to me if things didn't work out.
FWIW, in the comments on her post, there were at least a dozen other former employees saying similar things. That seems like a lot of disgruntled employees.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 32213
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 225 times
Contact:

Re: Restaurant

Post by The Rube » Fri Jul 17 9:31 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Fri Jul 17 10:35 am
And this just reinforces my personal opinion that social media will be the ruin of society.
Is GPL social media? 😉
It is by definition. However, I like to think we are a more educated, responsible bunch, who don't immediately resort to becoming Pitchfork Nation (c) Dan Barreiro. We weigh the facts, then form our opinions.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10500
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 152 times
Age: 54

Re: Restaurant

Post by Zwak » Wed Jul 22 8:29 am

State Fair to host Food Parade 2020 on Aug 20-23, 27 - 30, and Sept. 3-7.

More information here:

https://www.mnstatefair.org/food-parade-2020/

Here are the participating vendors (sorry for the length)

Participating Vendors

Turkey to Go (credit card only)
Turkey Sandwich
Giant Juicy (1/3 pound): $9
Half-Pound Giant Juicy: $11
Turkey Legs (gluten-friendly): $10
Turkey Sandwich Meat by the Pound (gluten-friendly)
One Pound: $17
Five Pounds: $80
Bottled beverages (Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, Mountain Dew, Sprite, Fanta): $2.50

Tom Thumb Donuts (cash/credit)
Mini Donuts: $6
Bottled beverages (Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, water): $3

Fresh French Fries (cash/credit)
32 oz.: $8
88 oz.: $14
Bottled beverages (Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, lemonade, water): $2.50

Sweets & Treats (cash/credit)
Jumbo Cotton Candy: $8
Caramel & Candy Apples: $5
Popcorn: $5
Caramel Corn: $5
Sno Cone: $4
Water: $3

Mouth Trap Cheese Curds (cash/credit)
Bucket: $17

Que Viet (cash/credit)
Giant Egg Roll On-a-Stick: $8
Garlic Cream Cheese Wontons: $8

Pronto Pups (cash only)
Regular Pronto Pup: $5
Bottled beverages (Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, water): $3

Pitchfork Sausage/Butcher Boys London Broil (cash/credit)
London Broil Steak on a Roll with onions, peppers and cheese (gluten-friendly without bun): $10
Italian Sausage Sandwich with onions and peppers (gluten-friendly without bun): $10
Italian Sausage On-a-Fork: $8
Bottled beverages (Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, Sprite, water): $3

Dairy Goodness Bar by Midwest Dairy (cash/credit)
Malts (12 oz.): $5
Chocolate
Vanilla
Vanilla with Caramel Sauce

West Indies Soul Food (cash/credit)
Jamaican Patties: $6
Chicken
Beef
Jumbo Jerk Chicken Wings (2): $7
Bottled beverages (Pepsi, Mountain Dew): $5; Water: $4

Foot Long Hot Dogs & Corn Dogs (cash/credit)
Foot Long Hot Dog: $7
Foot Long Corn Dog: $8
Regular Corn Dog: $5
Bottled water: $2

Giggles’ Campfire Grill (cash/credit)
Walleye Fries: $9.50
Walleye Cakes: $9.50
Duck Bacon Wontons: $9.50
Duck Drummies: $9.50
Beverages (Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, Sprite, Mountain Dew): $2.50; Water: $2 or 3 for $5

Cheese On-A-Stick and Fresh-Squeezed Lemonade (cash/credit)
Cheese On-A-Stick: $5
American
Jalapeño
Fresh-Squeezed Lemonade
Sealed Bottle (16 oz.): $5
State Fair Souvenir Bottle (28 oz.): $8
1-gallon jug: $20

The Hangar (cash/credit)
Tater Twister (Sausage wrapped in a whole spiral-sliced potato and fried): $6
Fried Oreos: $7
Funnel Cake: $8
Bottled beverages (Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, Sprite): $4; Water: $3

El Sol Mexican Foods (cash/credit)
Tacos: $5
Fried Flour Shell
Hard Corn Shell
Burritos
Beef and Bean: $9
Jumbo Beef: $8
Bean: $6
Taco Salad: $8
Bottled beverages (Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, water): $2

Sweet Martha’s Cookie Jar (cash only)
Pail of Cookies: $17 (limit 6 pails per vehicle)
Bottled beverages (water, milk): $3
Subject to change. Sales tax included.

Food Parade Tickets
Tickets go on sale at 10 a.m. July 31. When you purchase your ticket, select a date and time to attend (see Etix for current availability):

Thursday through Sunday, Aug. 20-23 and 27-30 (arrival times each hour at 9 a.m. to noon and 2 to 5 p.m.)
Thursday through Sunday, Sept. 3-6 (arrival times each hour at 9 a.m. to noon and 2 to 5 p.m.)
Monday, Sept. 7 (arrival times each hour at 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.)
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10933
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 276 times
Age: 45

Re: Restaurant

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Jul 22 8:43 am

Honestly it might be fun to pull up a chair on the side of the road to watch carloads of people stuffing their faces to make space before they get to the next booth.

That said, it seems like a bad idea. Even if most will be in cars, I'll be curious to see how packed together everyone is if they expect the parade to take a few hours. You might have to bring a pee bucket with you. I enjoy my State Fair food as much as the next guy, but I can wait a year. Maybe I'll go to Que Viet next week (their eggrolls are ridiculous) and make a batch of Tollhouse cookies and save myself the spectacle.

Interesting times we live in.

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10500
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 152 times
Age: 54

Re: Restaurant

Post by Zwak » Wed Jul 22 8:50 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Jul 22 8:43 am
Honestly it might be fun to pull up a chair on the side of the road to watch carloads of people stuffing their faces to make space before they get to the next booth.

That said, it seems like a bad idea. Even if most will be in cars, I'll be curious to see how packed together everyone is if they expect the parade to take a few hours. You might have to bring a pee bucket with you. I enjoy my State Fair food as much as the next guy, but I can wait a year. Maybe I'll go to Que Viet next week (their eggrolls are ridiculous) and make a batch of Tollhouse cookies and save myself the spectacle.

Interesting times we live in.
Personally I think it will be a total cluster(you know what). I admire their attempts to give people a taste of the fair but I have to imagine that the parade line will be VERY slow. People will be ordering lots of food for up to five people. There will be special orders. Some people may not want to stop at every booth but will have to wait for those ahead of them who are.

To each their own but definitely not for me.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3547
Joined: Thu Jun 03 12:28 pm
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 47 times
Contact:

Re: Restaurant

Post by HockeyBum » Wed Jul 22 9:04 am

I love Fair food while walking around at the Fair, but I have zero interest in getting it as drive-thru.

Side note... has the Turkey To Go sandwich always been that expensive? I haven't been to the Fair in a few years, but I seem to remember it being around $6-ish. As good as it is, $9.00 seems a little absurd. I expect to overpay at the Fair, but that's embarrassing even by State Fair standards.

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10500
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 152 times
Age: 54

Re: Restaurant

Post by Zwak » Wed Jul 22 9:14 am

HockeyBum wrote:
Wed Jul 22 9:04 am
I love Fair food while walking around at the Fair, but I have zero interest in getting it as drive-thru.

Side note... has the Turkey To Go sandwich always been that expensive? I haven't been to the Fair in a few years, but I seem to remember it being around $6-ish. As good as it is, $9.00 seems a little absurd. I expect to overpay at the Fair, but that's embarrassing even by State Fair standards.
As an FYI, State Fair food vendors pay 15% of food and non-alcoholic beverage sales to Fair. 18% for alcohol sales. Vendors are VERY closely audited.

p.s. I joked on Twitter that if they really want to make this parade be a true State Fair experience they should have couples with double wide strollers walking very slowly in front of random cars. :D
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10135
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 144 times
Age: 45

Re: Restaurant

Post by davescharf » Wed Jul 22 9:19 am

Zwak wrote:
Wed Jul 22 9:14 am
HockeyBum wrote:
Wed Jul 22 9:04 am
I love Fair food while walking around at the Fair, but I have zero interest in getting it as drive-thru.

Side note... has the Turkey To Go sandwich always been that expensive? I haven't been to the Fair in a few years, but I seem to remember it being around $6-ish. As good as it is, $9.00 seems a little absurd. I expect to overpay at the Fair, but that's embarrassing even by State Fair standards.
As an FYI, State Fair food vendors pay 15% of food and non-alcoholic beverage sales to Fair. 18% for alcohol sales. Vendors are VERY closely audited.

p.s. I joked on Twitter that if they really want to make this parade be a true State Fair experience they should have couples with double wide strollers walking very slowly in front of random cars. :D
And the people should be wearing half the clothing they would otherwise normally wear in a public space.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15000
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 87 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Jul 22 9:38 am

Why would you pay like 100 bucks for two people to slowly drive through and eat overpriced fair food when you could have two solid meals for two (or one very high end meal in MN) with that price elsewhere...
Loserville, USA
109 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

User avatar
fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3739
Joined: Mon Apr 18 9:45 pm
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 46 times
Age: 34

Re: Restaurant

Post by fightclub30 » Wed Jul 22 12:44 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Wed Jul 22 9:38 am
Why would you pay like 100 bucks for two people to slowly drive through and eat overpriced fair food when you could have two solid meals for two (or one very high end meal in MN) with that price elsewhere...
I don't know. We paid $50 to drive through the MN Zoo, and look at about 12 animals with our Toddler. We wanted an excuse to go do something that still felt safe to us, and we wanted to support the zoo so it will still be there in the future when we can go back.

People want to support the things they love. I'm buying crowlers at $12/can, and normally I wouldn't do that as it's a pretty poor $/oz proposition for buying beer.

User avatar
Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15000
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 87 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Jul 22 1:02 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Wed Jul 22 12:44 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
Wed Jul 22 9:38 am
Why would you pay like 100 bucks for two people to slowly drive through and eat overpriced fair food when you could have two solid meals for two (or one very high end meal in MN) with that price elsewhere...
I don't know. We paid $50 to drive through the MN Zoo, and look at about 12 animals with our Toddler. We wanted an excuse to go do something that still felt safe to us, and we wanted to support the zoo so it will still be there in the future when we can go back.

People want to support the things they love. I'm buying crowlers at $12/can, and normally I wouldn't do that as it's a pretty poor $/oz proposition for buying beer.
The more people you have going into this fair thing, the more appealing it is because the car is a fixed price and a lot of the food is being sold in family sized portion sizes.

For two or a solo trip, though, I just don't really see it.
Loserville, USA
109 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10933
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 276 times
Age: 45

Re: Restaurant

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Jul 22 1:20 pm

$80 for 5 lbs of turkey. Is it just roasted turkey or is it deep fried or smoked or something? I don't get how 5 lbs of turkey is $80. Even at State Fair pricing. Wow.

Lancaster
Rookie
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Oct 21 8:50 am
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by Lancaster » Wed Jul 22 3:22 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Wed Jul 22 12:44 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
Wed Jul 22 9:38 am
Why would you pay like 100 bucks for two people to slowly drive through and eat overpriced fair food when you could have two solid meals for two (or one very high end meal in MN) with that price elsewhere...
I don't know. We paid $50 to drive through the MN Zoo, and look at about 12 animals with our Toddler. We wanted an excuse to go do something that still felt safe to us, and we wanted to support the zoo so it will still be there in the future when we can go back.

People want to support the things they love. I'm buying crowlers at $12/can, and normally I wouldn't do that as it's a pretty poor $/oz proposition for buying beer.
Thank you for supporting the zoo :D

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10135
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 144 times
Age: 45

Re: Restaurant

Post by davescharf » Wed Jul 22 4:03 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Wed Jul 22 9:38 am
Why would you pay like 100 bucks for two people to slowly drive through and eat overpriced fair food when you could have two solid meals for two (or one very high end meal in MN) with that price elsewhere...
2,000,000 people do this every August and early September anyways. It’s really no different other than to support the Fair

We may actually go to this even if it’s a total sh!tshow.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8008
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 352 times
Age: 33

Re: Restaurant

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Jul 22 5:45 pm

So you pay for the food and still have to pay for a ticket just to get in?

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3574
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 93 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by Norm » Wed Jul 22 6:56 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Wed Jul 22 5:45 pm
So you pay for the food and still have to pay for a ticket just to get in?
Well yeah! What did you think? That you could just go buy the food without first paying for the privilege of buying said food?

User avatar
Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5571
Joined: Tue Mar 06 2:20 am
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 63 times
Age: 34

Re: Restaurant

Post by Snowcool08 » Wed Jul 22 9:02 pm

Watching the Twins game and a Pizza Ranch commercial says the buffet is now open. That was extremely low on the list of places to eat before there was a pandemic.

User avatar
Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15000
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 87 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Jul 24 2:43 pm

Is the Ox Cart Rooftop in STP open for drinks? Their websites are brutal as far as up to date information...
Loserville, USA
109 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10933
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 276 times
Age: 45

Re: Restaurant

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Jul 24 2:45 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Fri Jul 24 2:43 pm
Is the Ox Cart Rooftop in STP open for drinks? Their websites are brutal as far as up to date information...
I am sure they have a phone number and I bet you have a phone.

Post Reply