Restaurant

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 93 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by Snowcool08 » Sun May 17 12:16 pm

That is one thing I have missed. Hot fries. I rarely get them from fast food because I don’t go to those restaurants often, but I might have to make an exception here soon.

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by davescharf » Sun May 17 12:51 pm

D2D wrote:
Sun May 17 11:23 am
davescharf wrote:
Sun May 17 10:58 am
For those in the west metro, Rock Elm is going $7 cheeseburger and fries deals on Mondays. They make a pretty good burger so we're going to give that a try tomorrow night.
We've had the Monday burger special from both Rock Elm and the Sunshine Factory. The latter is by far the better option. And whichever one you choose, see what other options to the fries are available. Fries do not travel well.
I hadn't realized Sunshine Factory opened back up. They're 5 minutes from my house, so closer than Rock Elm. We'll have to look at that option as well.

My kids got fries from Buffalo Wild Wings and they definitely don't travel well.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by Handyman » Sun May 17 1:42 pm

team22tank wrote:
Sun May 17 8:56 am
Handyman wrote:
Sun May 17 12:28 am
He's not...he is mocking helicopter parents who don't let their kids do anything that puts them at risk.

The quote he would use for COVID would be the one about how the planet is fine but the people are beeped. He said the Earth will survive long after we are gone and will kill us off to heal itself.

Start around 6 minutes of your don't want to watch the whole thing.
Sorry that quote I posted was his bit “Fear of Germs.” Here is the entire transcript. It has nothing to do with helicopter parents.

https://scrapsfromtheloft.com/2017/04/0 ... ranscript/

While titled germs, he also uses Hantuvirus, Bird Flu and Super Virus in the bit. And he very clearly stated a number of times the importance of a immune system.
I don't need the transcript...i have watched every Carlin special a dozen times and read his books.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun May 17 1:43 pm

The Nook has curbside I believe if you crave a burger. I like Rock Elm but never thought much of their burgers.

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Chris83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by Chris83 » Sun May 17 2:10 pm

Probably in the minority on this, but I don't have the slightest interest in visiting a restaurant. Of course, being married to a phenomenal cook most likely plays into that. :wink:
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times

Post by The Rube » Sun May 17 2:14 pm

davescharf wrote:
Sun May 17 12:51 pm
D2D wrote:
davescharf wrote:
For those in the west metro, Rock Elm is going $7 cheeseburger and fries deals on Mondays. They make a pretty good burger so we're going to give that a try tomorrow night.
We've had the Monday burger special from both Rock Elm and the Sunshine Factory. The latter is by far the better option. And whichever one you choose, see what other options to the fries are available. Fries do not travel well.
I hadn't realized Sunshine Factory opened back up. They're 5 minutes from my house, so closer than Rock Elm. We'll have to look at that option as well.

My kids got fries from Buffalo Wild Wings and they definitely don't travel well.
For a few years now. A little more upscale, sorta. It's okay. IMO there are better choices for their price points, though.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun May 17 3:55 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sun May 17 2:14 pm
davescharf wrote:
Sun May 17 12:51 pm
D2D wrote:
davescharf wrote:

For a few years now. A little more upscale, sorta. It's okay. IMO there are better choices for their price points, though.
They had been closed due to COVID until May 4th :)

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun May 17 3:59 pm

Ahhh, ok.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun May 17 4:01 pm

D2D wrote:
davescharf wrote:
Sunshine’s burgers are better? I haven’t been there but really like Rock elm’s

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 124 times

Post by Norm » Sun May 17 5:03 pm

Chris83 wrote:
Sun May 17 2:10 pm
Probably in the minority on this, but I don't have the slightest interest in visiting a restaurant. Of course, being married to a phenomenal cook most likely plays into that. :wink:
Same here. My wife (also a great cook) and I are the only people we know that haven't gotten food to go since this thing started.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun May 17 5:08 pm

I have a couple times but mostly to celebrate something.

And the new Sunshine Factory is ok but the old one was better. I have never had a burger there too many other good things to eat :D

-Scooby 2/7/2017

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun May 17 5:26 pm

The Pub 42 that replaced the old Sunshine is solid. I really like their food.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 363 times

Post by Bertogliat » Sun May 17 5:44 pm

I just ordered Roadside in Blaine. Excellent food.

Medium burgers are juicy.

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by D2D » Sun May 17 5:49 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sun May 17 5:44 pm
Curbside at Roadside, or Roadside at Curbside? There's a slogan in there somewhere. :wink:
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun May 17 6:01 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sun May 17 5:44 pm

Medium burgers are juicy.
I've eaten there once. Agreed, good food.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Sun May 17 6:08 pm

Parlours food truck has been in Edina every Saturday for the last few months. Their fries are really good and hold up well - although the ride home is only a few blocks away.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by george » Sun May 17 7:47 pm

Got take out from Red Cow on 50th tonight. Pretty good burger for me. Wife and kid wanted to get a "drink kit" but you have to add your own booze so I'm not sure of the point since it's just some mixers.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun May 17 8:15 pm

george wrote:
Sun May 17 7:47 pm
Got take out from Red Cow on 50th tonight. Pretty good burger for me. Wife and kid wanted to get a "drink kit" but you have to add your own booze so I'm not sure of the point since it's just some mixers.
Norseman distillery is selling mixers and 375 ml bottles of their booze as a kit. Pickups every Friday.

We bought a couple this week and got their vodka and pineapple chipotle gin to go with them. We have some other booze here at home we try the mixers with too.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Mon May 18 9:31 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Sun May 17 12:16 pm
That is one thing I have missed. Hot fries. I rarely get them from fast food because I don’t go to those restaurants often, but I might have to make an exception here soon.
We did Rock Elm and the burger was very good. To my surprise the fries held up extremely well. We'll definitely do this again.

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 206 times

Post by Karlsson » Wed May 20 4:15 pm

Moose and Sadie's now a casualty as well. Coffee shop was a fixture in the warehouse district/north loop. I knew it had been open a while, but I didn't realize it was almost 30 years.

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by team22tank » Wed May 20 6:31 pm

Sounds like many more will be casualties as well.

So restaurants can open on 6/1 only with outdoor seating at 25% capacity. Have to make a reservation. Recommended to wear a mask at the restaurant, lol.

Might as well make each establishment have a Dog and Pony out front.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Bigbeer » Thu May 21 12:35 am

Karlsson wrote:
Wed May 20 4:15 pm
Moose and Sadie's now a casualty as well. Coffee shop was a fixture in the warehouse district/north loop. I knew it had been open a while, but I didn't realize it was almost 30 years.
My nice has been a baker there for a few years and loved working there, she’s pretty disappointed.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu May 21 8:21 am

There are going to be a lot of casualties in the restaurant industry obviously. There are even in a decent economy. Hopefully the best ones find a way through this. I wouldn't miss Buffalo Wild Wings or Bakers Square.

That said, when we are back to normal I am certain we will see a glut of new restaurants pop up as people will flock to them. Good chefs will get their food to us.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Thu May 21 8:43 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu May 21 8:21 am
There are going to be a lot of casualties in the restaurant industry obviously. There are even in a decent economy. Hopefully the best ones find a way through this. I wouldn't miss Buffalo Wild Wings or Bakers Square.

That said, when we are back to normal I am certain we will see a glut of new restaurants pop up as people will flock to them. Good chefs will get their food to us.
It will be interesting. Who knows when normal returns? It could be well after next winter. And by that I mean normal for restaurants where you can pack a place no restrictions, ect. Usually when protocols are put in place many stay for good regardless of what happens next.

I think your small eateries and brewries are toast to a certain extent.

Then they also have to weigh the “next time.” Because they know they are first to get nailed for sure.

Becomes a question of, is it even worth it.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Thu May 21 9:00 am

Bigbeer wrote:
Thu May 21 12:35 am
Karlsson wrote:
Wed May 20 4:15 pm
My nice has been a baker there for a few years and loved working there, she’s pretty disappointed.
Peter and Susan were there a lot obviously, and they really went out of their way to make sure everyone was welcome. Neat vibe to the joint. I'll miss it.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu May 21 9:11 am

team22tank wrote:
Thu May 21 8:43 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Thu May 21 8:21 am

It will be interesting. Who knows when normal returns? It could be well after next winter. And by that I mean normal for restaurants where you can pack a place no restrictions, ect. Usually when protocols are put in place many stay for good regardless of what happens next.

Then they also have to weigh the “next time.” Because they know they are first to get nailed for sure.

It looks like there are some companies ramping up production on vaccines as we speak to make sure they are ready to ship upon approval. Early trials are promising for several vaccines and even one company with a manufactured antibody.

There is probably a 50:50 chance we have a vaccine for every person in the US by end of the year.

I know that’s too late for many restaurants. I hope people are patronizing locally owned establishments Via take out over chain restaurants. With the caveat that some chain have locally owned franchises. I am not a huge Subway fan but the store by my house is locally owned and the owner is a great guy. I’ll still buy there.

For the most part everything we’ve ordered for the last two months has been a local restaurant that puts out good, original food.

I am glad you mentioned breweries. I haven’t been to one since this SAH started. It’s been mostly Summit for a while. I’ll go today to buy a couple of growlers.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu May 21 3:40 pm

I doubt it is 50/50. The 18 month window they originally set is still a minor miracle when it comes to vaccines of this kind. The odds would be long on even that let alone having enough for everyone. That doesnt even allow enough time to know the long term side effects...

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Reg Dunlop
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Reg Dunlop » Thu May 21 4:05 pm

I've been wondering this for a while.
I get a flu shot in the fall most years. Then I get the flu. They say "the shot was for a different strain of the flu than you had". So can the same thing happen with the Covid-19 vaccine?
"Let 'em know you're there!"

Thirty-four: "Reg, I gotta tell you, of all the people on the board, you are one of the five I'd like to buy a beer!" :beerchug:

Frozen Four: BSU=JBSU=LOL

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Steve MN » Thu May 21 4:32 pm

Reg Dunlop wrote:
Thu May 21 4:05 pm
I've been wondering this for a while.
I get a flu shot in the fall most years. Then I get the flu. They say "the shot was for a different strain of the flu than you had". So can the same thing happen with the Covid-19 vaccine?
Over time, most likely. Almost all of the "seasonal flu" strains are variants of the 1918 Flu. Which was extraordinarily deadly at the time, because nobody had any degree of immunity to it. Much like Covid-19 is today. Over time, it is somewhat likely that this will mutate into new strains, but, that's not usually a very rapid event, and, part of the reason you can get the flu today, for a strain that wasn't in that year's shot, and (for most people) just get fever/nausea/etc for a few days without being in serious danger is that your body has SOME ability to fight it due to similarities to strains that you would be mostly immune to.

Please note, I'm not a doctor, nor do I even play one on TV, and I haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in years.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu May 21 7:34 pm

Handyman wrote:
Thu May 21 3:40 pm
I doubt it is 50/50. The 18 month window they originally set is still a minor miracle when it comes to vaccines of this kind. The odds would be long on even that let alone having enough for everyone. That doesnt even allow enough time to know the long term side effects...
The fact that they’re manufacturing “at risk” while FDA is allowing stage II and III clinical studies to begin without fully completed stage I studies, makes me hopeful they will get there ahead of schedule.

The FDA is even considering allowing studies which inject the virus into patients instead of waiting for patients to become naturally infected. This would dramatically speed up the clinical study endpoint. Cross your fingers we have hockey and open restaurants by New Year.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu May 21 9:37 pm

The mid-level breweries that cannot sell growlers/rely on distro/bars are hurting a LOT. The Castle Dangers, Fultons, etc. The micros such as Back Channel, Barrel Theory, LTD, should survive. Heck SURLY is even hurting, hence them dipping into the cellar and releasing vintage Darkness years in stores. Schell's/Summit should be fine, they've been around this long for a reason.

Note: Back Channel has been only open on weekends for the last 2 weeks. They can't keep up with demand. From an email I got, they were selling over 2000 crowlers per week. When I stopped there last Fri to pick up a couple of their bottles (special release for members), they expected to close early on Sat, because they were running out of product again.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by HockeyBum » Fri May 22 8:21 am

team22tank wrote:

I probably won't be going to any sit down restaurant until things are back to normal. Not because I'm scared of the virus, but because the experience won't be enjoyable enough to make it worthwhile. Having to make reservations, sitting on a patio (let's face it... the weather in MN is rarely nice enough for that), no more than 4 in your group, etc... Also, maybe it's just a psychological thing with me personally, but being served by people wearing masks and gloves like everyone has the Bubonic Plague just doesn't really put me in a mood to eat. It would feel like I'm eating in a hospital cafeteria.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Fri May 22 8:53 am

HockeyBum wrote:
Fri May 22 8:21 am
team22tank wrote:

I probably won't be going to any sit down restaurant until things are back to normal. Not because I'm scared of the virus, but because the experience won't be enjoyable enough to make it worthwhile. Having to make reservations, sitting on a patio (let's face it... the weather in MN is rarely nice enough for that), no more than 4 in your group, etc... Also, maybe it's just a psychological thing with me personally, but being served by people wearing masks and gloves like everyone has the Bubonic Plague just doesn't really put me in a mood to eat. It would feel like I'm eating in a hospital cafeteria.
I agree. I guess we will see how it plays out. I don’t really understand the gloves thing. I can’t imagine they change them every time they visit a new table, maybe they will?

And wearing a mask for an entire shift? I hope the consequences of that are few.

I would like to go out just to say thank you to someone that is in the middle of this and leave a nice tip. But it is quite the song and dance right now.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Fri May 22 5:14 pm

Handyman wrote:
Fauci is saying December is possible as of today. They are going to rush it out so fast. You can call each chapter of this thing a mile away.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 137 times

Post by Bladepuller » Fri May 22 6:24 pm

In the 90s I was the Supt. on an number of restaurants builds for independant white tablecloth places, local chains, and national companies. No fast food joints at all though. I would say out of the 20 I built most are still restaurants but only 25% have the same name / ownership.
10 years as the same place was the goal and then reinvent the location.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat May 23 12:09 pm

team22tank wrote:
Fri May 22 5:14 pm
Handyman wrote:
Fauci is saying December is possible as of today. They are going to rush it out so fast. You can call each chapter of this thing a mile away.
Rushing out a vaccine without the proper testing and vetting is a great plan...for lawyers ;)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sat May 23 10:13 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sat May 23 12:09 pm
team22tank wrote:
Fri May 22 5:14 pm
Handyman wrote:
Rushing out a vaccine without the proper testing and vetting is a great plan...for lawyers ;)
It’s been a couple of months but Barreiro was talking about the last time the US pushed vaccines out in quickly. Apparently it was the 1970s and IIRC the US Government was using its Wartime powers to push bio tech companies to crank out the vaccine but the companies wouldn’t make them unless they were made immune to lawsuits for adverse reactions.

Edit: apparently it was swine flu in 1976. Some interesting parallels in the article linked below (written in 2013). I haven’t read the whole article. It was just the first article in my google search that went into some detail of the decision to mass produce the vaccine to avoid a pandemic.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/health ... u-outbreak

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 144 times

Post by Kelly Red » Sat May 23 10:55 pm

Why has the restaurant forum turned into a vaccine discussion?
Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let’s go. We’re burning daylight.
-John Wayne

Viking
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Viking » Sat May 23 11:03 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Sat May 23 10:55 pm
You're first time on the internet???
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sun May 24 6:44 am

Kelly Red wrote:
For those that live in the north metro Acapulco restaurants have a taco party pack that serves “4-6”. We tried this last night and our family of 4 got through about 25% of it. It was delicious and should make for several meals for only $40.

I don’t know if this was invented for COVID or has always been available but it is a great idea.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 137 times

Post by Bladepuller » Sun May 24 7:44 am

Acapulco has been a decent place and at a good value.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Sun May 24 10:55 am

Viking wrote:
Sat May 23 11:03 pm
Kelly Red wrote:
You're first time on the internet???
No. I was being Minnesota Passive Aggressive for stop.
-John Wayne

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun May 24 2:14 pm

I have had Acapulco a couple of times and neither time did I really enjoy it. Was rather bland and unimpressive. It is far down my list of places to get Mexican from.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 198 times

Post by Bonin21 » Sun May 24 2:30 pm

Unpopular opinion but I find real Mexican street food (like at Andale and other places I've tried) to be bland.

Definitely falls behind Italian, Chinese, Japanese (sushi), Brazilian, Colombian/Venezuelan, "American" (burgers/steaks), Cuban, maybe Mediterranean, and almost behind Indian for me.
Loserville, USA
108 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun May 24 2:34 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sun May 24 2:30 pm
Unpopular opinion but I find real Mexican street food (like at Andale and other places I've tried) to be bland.

Definitely falls behind Italian, Chinese, Japanese (sushi), Brazilian, Colombian/Venezuelan, "American" (burgers/steaks), Cuban, maybe Mediterranean, and almost behind Indian for me.
Ugly Delicious (Netflix streaming), on Mexican street food:

“Go to the places where you do not understand some of the words on the menu. If you don’t know that word, that’s where you want to go, because that’s going to tell you immediately: That’s regional stuff.”

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sun May 24 2:40 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sun May 24 2:14 pm
I have had Acapulco a couple of times and neither time did I really enjoy it. Was rather bland and unimpressive. It is far down my list of places to get Mexican from.
If I am looking for Mexican food and go sit down at a restaurant I won’t get tacos, unless I can get some real tacos el pastor. Acapulco is not high on my list Other than they have very good cheese dip.

But that said, most Mexican food doesn’t travel well so I have been avoiding Mexican take out during COVID. I brought this up specifically for the tacos party pack. It is a great deal and the tacos were good. Everything packaged very well so no soggy mess.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun May 24 2:47 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sun May 24 2:40 pm
Handyman wrote:
Sun May 24 2:14 pm
If I am looking for Mexican food and go sit down at a restaurant I won’t get tacos, unless I can get some real tacos el pastor. Acapulco is not high on my list Other than they have very good cheese dip.

But that said, most Mexican food doesn’t travel well so I have been avoiding Mexican take out during COVID. I brought this up specifically for the tacos party pack. It is a great deal and the tacos were good. Everything packaged very well so no soggy mess.
El pastor is magical.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Sun May 24 8:28 pm

If you want really traditional and good mexican in the Twin Cities, it's pretty much Lake Street in Minneapolis. West St Paul/The West side of St. Paul has some hidden spots, and I say this as a WSP resident, it can't hold a candle to some of those hole in the wall places on Lake Street.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Sun May 24 9:17 pm

Gopherguy05 wrote:
Sun May 24 8:28 pm
If you want really traditional and good mexican in the Twin Cities, it's pretty much Lake Street in Minneapolis. West St Paul/The West side of St. Paul has some hidden spots, and I say this as a WSP resident, it can't hold a candle to some of those hole in the wall places on Lake Street.
One great spot is inside the SuperMercado. I want to say Lake and Bloomington. It’s a hot line of about 6-8 dishes. You get a giant plate or take out box of really fabulous food. In the summer they’re grilling corn on the cob for corn elate in the back parking lot. The crowd leans to handymen and construction workers. Or moms with kids picking up lunch. I dont believe they do dinner, it’s a lunch spot.
Another good place is the taco truck that’s parked down near the Midtown Y. Beef tongue tacos are sublime.
-John Wayne

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun May 24 9:30 pm

Blatant plug. Family owned, local ingredients when possible.
http://nachosgrill.com/
The staff is really awesome and the food is delicious.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 416 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sun May 24 11:28 pm

I enjoyed La Pineda (sp?) in Plymouth but cannot attest if it's held up in the past 6 years since I was there last.
Currently under construction.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun May 24 11:32 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sun May 24 11:28 pm
I enjoyed La Pineda (sp?) in Plymouth but cannot attest if it's held up in the past 6 years since I was there last.
I have heard of it, will check it out.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by trixR4kids » Mon May 25 3:10 am

Taco riendo is awesome and they’re actually open at the Fermentary downtown.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

eHo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by eHo » Mon May 25 7:32 am

The Rube wrote:
Sun May 24 11:32 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Pineda off of Shelard Parkway? Been there several times for lunch. Always busy (at least during lunch). Worth a visit if you've never been.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 416 times

Post by Slap Shot » Mon May 25 8:29 am

eHo wrote:
Mon May 25 7:32 am
The Rube wrote:
Sun May 24 11:32 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Pineda off of Shelard Parkway? Been there several times for lunch. Always busy (at least during lunch). Worth a visit if you've never been.
That's the one.
Currently under construction.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon May 25 9:29 am

Oh THAT one?! Yeah, I've been there. Solid food, for sure.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Mon May 25 9:47 am

I've always been partial to Los Ocampo and El Taco Riendo. Been a long time since I've hit up Pineda.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon May 25 11:29 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Sun May 24 6:44 am
Kelly Red wrote:
For those that live in the north metro Acapulco restaurants have a taco party pack that serves “4-6”. We tried this last night and our family of 4 got through about 25% of it. It was delicious and should make for several meals for only $40.

I don’t know if this was invented for COVID or has always been available but it is a great idea.
In the NW Metro Aculpoco is a good place to cater food from for a graduation party- You get lots of food & the HS kids love it. ☝️And in non covid-19 times it was/still is a decent place to have a drink & order food. Is it high end authentic Mexican...no....but 70% of people in the Twin Cities don’t know the difference or really care. College buddy of mine at UMD was from El Paso & was stationed at the Coast Guard base before attending school there...he knows how to make authentic Mexican food and serves up a tasty version. 👍
But under the current circumstances...a taco party pack sounds good.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by Jupiter » Mon May 25 11:54 am

Can we talk about food and NOT Covid in here please???

Superstar
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Superstar » Mon May 25 5:24 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Sun May 24 9:17 pm
Gopherguy05 wrote:
One great spot is inside the SuperMercado. I want to say Lake and Bloomington. It’s a hot line of about 6-8 dishes. You get a giant plate or take out box of really fabulous food. In the summer they’re grilling corn on the cob for corn elate in the back parking lot. The crowd leans to handymen and construction workers. Or moms with kids picking up lunch. I dont believe they do dinner, it’s a lunch spot.
Another good place is the taco truck that’s parked down near the Midtown Y. Beef tongue tacos are sublime.
Are you talking about Andale Taqueria across from the Menards on Nicollet & 494? Only had it once but it was fantastic. A co-worker told me about it. I live not even a mile from there and don't know why we haven't ordered more often...I think we just keep forgetting about it. Might have to get that for dinner tonight!
EDIT: I don't think that's the place you were talking about, but it's good none-the-less. :)

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by sunbone » Mon May 25 5:36 pm

Superstar wrote:
Mon May 25 5:24 pm
Kelly Red wrote:
Gopherguy05 wrote:
Are you talking about Andale Taqueria across from the Menards on Nicollet & 494? Only had it once but it was fantastic. A co-worker told me about it. I live not even a mile from there and don't know why we haven't ordered more often...I think we just keep forgetting about it. Might have to get that for dinner tonight!
EDIT: I don't think that's the place you were talking about, but it's good none-the-less. :)
Andale is really, really good. I need to get back there.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Mon May 25 7:03 pm

Superstar wrote:
Mon May 25 5:24 pm
Kelly Red wrote:
Gopherguy05 wrote:
I had to look up the actual name (I drive by all the time so know the place by heart but not it’s name) La Mexicana SuperMercado at 15th and Lake. In the back is the restaurant. There’s another Mercado on the opposite corner that is more a mall, there are several eateries inside there. Plus the tortilla factory where you can watch super fresh tortillas roll off the belt.
-John Wayne

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Tue May 26 12:34 pm

Mexican food. Teresa's in Mendota Heights is awesome. Highway 62 and Dodd Road. Hope it survives....

eHo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by eHo » Tue May 26 1:06 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Tue May 26 12:34 pm
Mexican food. Teresa's in Mendota Heights is awesome. Highway 62 and Dodd Road. Hope it survives....
Teresa's in Savage/Prior Lake is good too.

Pablo's (salsa is amazing) and Taco Loco in Shakopee are awesome too.

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by Zwak » Tue May 26 3:45 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Do you live in that neck of the woods? I grew up in MH but live in SSP.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue May 26 4:26 pm

Had Surly Pizza again. Still my tops in MN but didn't have as much char as I like it to. They'll need to step up next time to hold the top spot because consistency is key.
Loserville, USA
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Tue May 26 5:52 pm

eHo wrote:
Tue May 26 1:06 pm
Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Teresa's in Savage/Prior Lake is good too.

Pablo's (salsa is amazing) and Taco Loco in Shakopee are awesome too.
Teresa’s I think is ok. What bothers me is you can put an order in and your food comes out in 5 minutes. The plate is super hot, so what I gather is they have all the ingredients pre-made and then just throw it into the oven for a few minutes to heat it up. I’m sure that’s most Mexican restaurants in general, but Teresa’s seemed super quick to me.

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 194 times

Post by JWG » Wed May 27 1:14 pm

Union 32 in Eagan has "temporarily closed indefinitely" :(
Even stopped curbside and takeout...
JWG
[This space for rent]

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri May 29 8:55 am

The first place I had a real interest in trying "gone" during Covid. But not gone because of Covid.

Town Talk Diner

Loserville, USA

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 295 times

Post by frozen4champs » Sun May 31 7:23 pm

Foleys, a New York City iconic sports bar, is closing. It was on my bucket list on places to go if I get to NYC.

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by Zwak » Sun May 31 7:45 pm

A relative of mine works for a local restaurant group. Sounds like a trend coming this summer to restaurants will be state fair foods.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 499 times

Post by Cowgirl » Sun May 31 7:49 pm

Zwak wrote:
Sun May 31 7:45 pm
A relative of mine works for a local restaurant group. Sounds like a trend coming this summer to restaurants will be state fair foods.
That is a great idea!

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Sun May 31 8:04 pm

Zwak wrote:
If anyone finds out where Turkey to Go is available, let me know. I usually get two sandwiches a day when I go to the fair.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Jun 01 10:38 am

Snowcool08 wrote:
Sun May 31 8:04 pm
Zwak wrote:
If anyone finds out where Turkey to Go is available, let me know. I usually get two sandwiches a day when I go to the fair.
https://mankato.citymomsblog.com/mom/co ... andwiches/

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Jun 03 2:30 pm

Loserville, USA