Restaurant

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by The Rube » Sun Mar 22 9:06 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sun Mar 22 8:58 pm
I was informed Thirty Bales is selling big ten subs. I honestly don’t know if this is new, but it’s on the menu!

https://www.thirtybales.com/eat/
It is new.

Word around town is that their normal menu/etc is not worth visiting. Not getting good reviews and such (no, not on yelp; word of mouth in person).
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by davescharf » Sun Mar 22 10:05 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sun Mar 22 9:06 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
I was informed Thirty Bales is selling big ten subs. I honestly don’t know if this is new, but it’s on the menu!

It is new.

Word around town is that their normal menu/etc is not worth visiting. Not getting good reviews and such (no, not on yelp; word of mouth in person).
Went twice when it was still Big Ten. It wasn’t worth visiting then either.

We go to Stages right across the street 4-5 times a year and dinner after. We’ve never been there based on what we’ve heard about it
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by trixR4kids » Mon Mar 23 2:45 am

Karlsson wrote:
Sun Mar 22 7:20 pm
El Taco Riendo on central is burning down. Sounds like the firefighters have been pulled out, letting the block go.

Ouch. Love that place.
Jesus, my buddy just went there yesterday. Probably the best tacos/Mexican I’ve had in the cities.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Mar 23 8:21 am

Cowgirl wrote:

Did I miss or is that a Big Ten replacement in Hopkins? The place and menu look good.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 499 times

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Mar 23 8:43 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Mon Mar 23 8:21 am
Cowgirl wrote:

Did I miss or is that a Big Ten replacement in Hopkins? The place and menu look good.
I’ve never been but yes, I believe that is what replaced Big 10.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Mar 23 8:47 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Mar 23 8:43 am
gopherguy06 wrote:
Mon Mar 23 8:21 am
Cowgirl wrote:

I’ve never been but yes, I believe that is what replaced Big 10.
I will have to check it out and maybe get a sub. I looked at their menu and they have references to Big 10, so wondering if ti was the same owners or what.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Thu Apr 30 3:28 pm

Just saw Marvel Bar and Bachelor Farmer shutting down for good. Won't be the last but surprised to see them going under.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 198 times

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Apr 30 4:23 pm

Wow. I think that is the best/most hyped place I've eaten at in MN (my god it was delicious), and the fanciest bar/speakeasy I've been to here (just once).

Not places I saw myself at often, but MN just lost a couple big hitters.
Loserville, USA
108 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Thu Apr 30 8:03 pm

A lot of restaurants will be toast. When they do open up most wont be able to afford to go out to eat.
Horrible situation for anyone in that business and can only imagine the stress they are under.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 124 times

Post by Norm » Fri May 01 9:26 am

Yeah, I don't know how anyone will be able to keep a restaurant going with one table.

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by Zwak » Fri May 01 10:01 am

We went to Bachelor Farmer once. The food was good but I found the place to be kind of pretentious. We were there not too long after they opened and they discouraged people taking pictures of their food for social media.

Regarding restaurants in general, one thing I have learned during the pandemic is just the act of going to a restaurant is part of the experience. While we have gotten take out from some local restaurants close to us, we haven't ventured too much farther than that as just getting the food isn't the same as eating while sitting in their restaurant. I do feel for those owners once limits are lifted as I don't think people will come rushing back right away.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 363 times

Post by Bertogliat » Fri May 01 10:28 am

We're spending much less now that we are confined to homes. So I am trying to tip heavy everywhere. I don't know how to help the owners themselves though, other than eat out more.

One good thing is that with the closure of our go-to Chinese restaurant we found another one close by that I like even more. They are getting crushed with business. At dinner time they have a 90 minute wait.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Fri May 01 11:24 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri May 01 10:28 am
We're spending much less now that we are confined to homes. So I am trying to tip heavy everywhere. I don't know how to help the owners themselves though, other than eat out more.

One good thing is that with the closure of our go-to Chinese restaurant we found another one close by that I like even more. They are getting crushed with business. At dinner time they have a 90 minute wait.
I'm especially sensitive to restaurants that just opened shortly before the pandemic. We have visited a couple and made sure to give (deservedly) great reviews on social media. There is a FB group I am a member of called East Metro St. Paul MN Foodies. Lots of good restaurant and food talk in that group for those who live on the good side of the river. :D

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Fri May 01 11:35 am

Zwak wrote:
Fri May 01 11:24 am
Bertogliat wrote:

I'm especially sensitive to restaurants that just opened shortly before the pandemic. We have visited a couple and made sure to give (deservedly) great reviews on social media. There is a FB group I am a member of called East Metro St. Paul MN Foodies. Lots of good restaurant and food talk in that group for those who live on the good side of the river. :D
I should look at see if there's a similar one of these in the Plymouth/Maple Grove area. It always seems like everything around here is a chain restaurant with a few exceptions, but even then a few we like (Grizzly's & 3 Squares come to mind) are closed right now. If there's places on the eastern side of Plymouth or South/East Maple Grove anyone wants to recommend I'm certainly interested.

Another challenge we have is if we want to venture too far to support places we enjoy we end up with cold food. We may be able to find a nearby park or something when the weather gets a little nice, but then our Toddler wants to play and that creates problems.

I don't know how much less we're spending yet, mainly because I haven't split out costs tied to the final parts of our basement remodel, but we are still trying to get take out on Saturdays like we did before the Pandemic started

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Fri May 01 12:10 pm

davescharf wrote:
Fri May 01 11:35 am
Zwak wrote:
Fri May 01 11:24 am
Bertogliat wrote:

I should look at see if there's a similar one of these in the Plymouth/Maple Grove area. It always seems like everything around here is a chain restaurant with a few exceptions, but even then a few we like (Grizzly's & 3 Squares come to mind) are closed right now. If there's places on the eastern side of Plymouth or South/East Maple Grove anyone wants to recommend I'm certainly interested.

Another challenge we have is if we want to venture too far to support places we enjoy we end up with cold food. We may be able to find a nearby park or something when the weather gets a little nice, but then our Toddler wants to play and that creates problems.

I don't know how much less we're spending yet, mainly because I haven't split out costs tied to the final parts of our basement remodel, but we are still trying to get take out on Saturdays like we did before the Pandemic started
Great point Dave. I’ve learned that non fast food French fries do not travel well

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 144 times

Post by Kelly Red » Fri May 01 12:32 pm

Not that I’m really complaining, but I’ve lost almost 6 lbs since sheltering at home. I haven’t changed my eating at home but clearly those coffee or cocktails with friends, brunch/lunch with friends and dining at restaurants with the hubster add up to more then I realized! And although I certainly don’t want the 6 lbs back I’m missing the social part of eating out very much.
Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let’s go. We’re burning daylight.
-John Wayne

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri May 01 9:35 pm

I've ordered curbside (or takeout) from Nacho's and 30 Bales in Hopkins, AND Ansari's in Eagan.

You can set a pickup time when ordering Ansari's, so you can arrive right when it's ready (and their to-go beer menu is outstanding). It's a 30-40 minute drive for me, and when I got home, their food was still hot (FTR, ordered the gyro stir fry). Drive-thru window, also. :D
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri May 01 9:43 pm

I had never even heard of Ansari's (albeit not a Mediterranean food guy with Aida and Gyropolis never amazing me). Are you the guy in the Gopher sweatshirt on the website lol?
https://www.ansarisgrill.com/Pages/Photos.aspx?id=1
Loserville, USA
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Fri May 01 9:52 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Fri May 01 9:43 pm
I had never even heard of Ansari's (albeit not a Mediterranean food guy with Aida and Gyropolis never amazing me). Are you the guy in the Gopher sweatshirt on the website lol?
That is the antithesis of Rube. :lol:

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri May 01 10:03 pm

So he's Daniel Craig? lol
Loserville, USA

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri May 01 10:19 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Fri May 01 9:52 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
Fri May 01 9:43 pm
That is the antithesis of Rube. :lol:
Yeah, pretty much. :D

Ansari's is family owned, tremendous food, and awesome beer list. He IS digging into his cellar a bit, for to-go beer. If you're a beer geek, you DEFINITELY know who he is, and he probably knows who you are.

For the past couple years at least, that place has finished 2nd to Holy Land for Best Mediterranean in the City Pages awards (although, those come with a lot of bias and some strings).

TheRube33 on UnTappd

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by D2D » Fri May 01 11:11 pm

Wife and I have only ordered take out twice since the restaurant closure, and both times the food was cold when we got home. Can't wait until the restaurants open back up.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri May 01 11:25 pm

I've done pizza and Nautical Bowl. Curbside pickup for both about 3 times each. Both great like always.

I have never done food delivery as I don't trust delivery times.
Loserville, USA

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri May 01 11:29 pm

D2D wrote:
Fri May 01 11:11 pm
Wife and I have only ordered take out twice since the restaurant closure, and both times the food was cold when we got home. Can't wait until the restaurants open back up.
I stay local, so no problem there (the exception is Ansari's of course). 5 miles or less within my residence. When summer comes, and MNs get antsy....we're gonna see some real frustration if this SIP order remains. I'd say after Memorial Day.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Fri May 01 11:40 pm

The Rube wrote:
Fri May 01 11:29 pm
When summer comes, and MNs get antsy....we're gonna see some real frustration if this SIP order remains. I'd say after Memorial Day.
With the warmer weather, as an interim step for restaurants that have seating outside, they could them to seat customers in those outdoor spaces, subject to proper social distancing of course.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri May 01 11:42 pm

D2D wrote:
Fri May 01 11:40 pm
The Rube wrote:
Fri May 01 11:29 pm
When summer comes, and MNs get antsy....we're gonna see some real frustration if this SIP order remains. I'd say after Memorial Day.
With the warmer weather, as an interim step for restaurants that have seating outside, they could them to seat customers in those outdoor spaces, subject to proper social distancing of course.
That's the rumor. I'll believe it when I see it.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sat May 02 6:37 am

D2D wrote:
Fri May 01 11:11 pm
It’s about learning what to order.

Fries are going to be cold. My wife ordered queso dip the other night (not a Mexican restaurant) and it was delicious. We could heat up the dip in the microwave.

I ordered a cheesesteak from another restaurant and it was nuclear hot when I got home.

Stir fry should be hot for a long time. Pizza should be normal.

We ordered wings once and threw them in the oven for a reheat and they turned out great.

If you are trying to mix vegetables with meat like tacos, salads, sandwiches, it won’t travel well.

melmac
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by melmac » Sat May 02 7:28 am

To maintain a little bit of “normalcy” for the girlies, we’ve done pizza and ice cream on Fridays, kind of like they’d have at school.

The Meijer was out of any decent pizza, so I was prepared to go grab a hot-n-ready yesterday. Then I got an email saying one of our local pizza establishments was opening back up for curbside, and they had a gift card deal going. Sold! Tasted so much better than any of my other alternatives.
I was told there would be no math.

Someday I'll win...
Charter member of the GPL Convoy Crew

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Sun May 03 9:51 am

Entrepreneurial innovation = survival.

White Bear Lake, Minn. restaurant adds movie night, church services to beat pandemic slump

https://fox9.com/news/white-bear-lake-m ... emic-slump

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Sun May 03 5:49 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Thu Apr 30 3:28 pm
Just saw Marvel Bar and Bachelor Farmer shutting down for good. Won't be the last but surprised to see them going under.
Muddy Waters closing.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sun May 03 9:10 pm

My new favorite Chinese restaurant has a nightly 90 wait. I have thoroughly enjoyed each of the 3 meals.

My wife is 0 for 3.

This is problematic.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sun May 03 9:13 pm

My favorite Chinese is usually order, they say 15, I bring it home and it's delicious.

I tried once during quarantine. They said 45, I showed up at about 35-40, only letting one person in at a time (tons of delivery drivers gathered), and sure enough the one bag I saw sitting there while I waited was mine. Cold relative to usual standards. Will wait until things are back to normal.

Probably give Surly Pizza curbside my next weekly out of the house meal.
Loserville, USA

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon May 04 8:35 pm

Luchador is closing for good. Maybe CP can make a come back!!! I had my up and downs with Luchador but turned out to be a decent place.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Thu May 14 12:10 pm

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Thu May 14 12:18 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sun May 03 9:13 pm
Probably give Surly Pizza curbside my next weekly out of the house meal.
Confirmed my favorite "fancy" pizza in the state right now.

Better than Black Sheep, Lola, and Red Wagon. I ate one and a half pizzas without blinking...
Loserville, USA

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Thu May 14 1:00 pm

Let's say the restaurants and bars open on 6.1 as projected. Would anyone dine in? I know they are talking about limits of 50% capacity and what not, but curious how people on here feel?

The take out we have been getting has been mostly close to our house or we get it and eat a park. Finding out a lot of foods don't travel well. One example is french fries from restaurants. Almost always end up throwing in the oven.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Thu May 14 1:09 pm

That's a no from me, dawg.

It will be nice outside. To your point eat at a park or bring a lawn chair and eat in the lot in the sun.
Loserville, USA

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Thu May 14 1:21 pm

Yeah, I think a lot of restauarants will adjust their model, utilize the patios more, maybe the parking lot (if they can by regulations) to distance people.

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by Handyman » Thu May 14 1:34 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Thu May 14 1:00 pm
Let's say the restaurants and bars open on 6.1 as projected. Would anyone dine in? I know they are talking about limits of 50% capacity and what not, but curious how people on here feel?

The take out we have been getting has been mostly close to our house or we get it and eat a park. Finding out a lot of foods don't travel well. One example is french fries from restaurants. Almost always end up throwing in the oven.
Nope. I will cook from home like I do every summer now. Why would I waste money unless it is something truly special. (and I wouldnt be doing that anyways right about now)

Honestly, this whole thing has reminded me that 9/10 times the restaurant experience is overrated and often annoying as hell.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Thu May 14 1:42 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:

Depends on the restaurant. If it is more of a sports bar type of atmosphere I wouldn't go there if it is 1/2 full as to me part of the dining experience is the atmosphere and a 1/2 full sports bar type restaurant is not what I am looking for. If it is more of a dining type restaurant (128 cafe, Bar La Grassa, etc) then I would consider going as they have more of an intimate atmosphere and being 1/2 full would be fine with me.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by george » Thu May 14 1:45 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:

I will. Mostly local places, many of the ones we have been getting take out from.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu May 14 2:05 pm

I may try a couple early, if they are quiet, while the virus is still relatively at bay. But once the numbers jump, I'll hunker down again. There are a couple of locally owned restaurants I'd like to give business to, that I don't think would survive a car ride.

I won't be sitting in any chain restaurant.

As soon as they lifted restriction in Wisconsin yesterday everyone rushed to the bars and it sounds like they had some big crowds. I won't do anything like that.

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 206 times

Post by Karlsson » Thu May 14 2:26 pm

Handyman wrote:
Thu May 14 1:34 pm
Honestly, this whole thing has reminded me that 9/10 times the restaurant experience is overrated and often annoying as hell.
This.

I miss taprooms/breweries and dive bars. But I'm not going to either for a while. Still buying beer from our usual places and either having it delivered or are picking it up curbside. We're having a great time cooking and grilling at home, and here and there getting takeout and the eating it outside by ourselves. We're in no rush.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Thu May 14 2:44 pm

Handyman wrote:
gopherguy06 wrote:

Nope. I will cook from home like I do every summer now. Why would I waste money unless it is something truly special. (and I wouldnt be doing that anyways right about now)

For sure, but I think the reason go to restaurants aren't just for the food. It is about the experience, the socializing, convenience. I think people will still stay home, but I love going out and trying new places, but dont think we will do much when they open.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 126 times

Post by Bigbeer » Thu May 14 3:55 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu May 14 2:05 pm
I may try a couple early, if they are quiet, while the virus is still relatively at bay. But once the numbers jump, I'll hunker down again. There are a couple of locally owned restaurants I'd like to give business to, that I don't think would survive a car ride.

As soon as they lifted restriction in Wisconsin yesterday everyone rushed to the bars and it sounds like they had some big crowds. I won't do anything like that.
Pretty crazy in Western Wisconsin today. Every single bar and restaurant had to decide this morning what they were going to do and how and then put it out on social media. Some places scrambling to convince their employees that they will have policies to keep them safe so they will come to work. I’ll bet Sysco will be busy today and tomorrow.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Thu May 14 4:56 pm

From pictures I saw it doesn’t look like social distancing is a concern for some bars in WI. It will be interesting to see how this affects covid case numbers in a few weeks.

We don’t dine out much anyway but I still would not feel safe eating at a restaurant until there is more widespread and accurate antibody testing available. We’ll see how this plays out to the east; I can bet if it goes poorly that we won’t see us opening up the state too much by June 1st.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu May 14 6:17 pm

I'd go out like I normally do for lunch on the weekend, since even before all this, I went when it was dead. If I thought it was too crowded (and I have a very low threshold), I'd just walk out right away.

FTR: I always had Sunday brunch at Pub 819 in Hopkins. 9 times out of 10, the bar rail was maybe 20% full at best. The rest of the place? Maybe 30-40% full.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Thu May 14 6:29 pm

Probably not. First it’s not really worth it and trying to take an almost 2 year old to any sit down place is an exercise in insanity

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Thu May 14 6:39 pm

Wife and I (used to) eat out occasionally, maybe twice a month. And in no big hurry to resume. But when we do, it'll be "on the patio" outside on a nice evening, with all patrons practicing proper distancing... and preferably seated "up wind".

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by sunbone » Thu May 14 7:13 pm

Going to be quite awhile before I do dine in at a restaurant or drink at a taproom. Not worth it to me.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu May 14 8:22 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Thu May 14 2:44 pm
Handyman wrote:
gopherguy06 wrote:

For sure, but I think the reason go to restaurants aren't just for the food. It is about the experience, the socializing, convenience. I think people will still stay home, but I love going out and trying new places, but dont think we will do much when they open.
And like I said, 9/10 times I think that experience is annoying to me. The food is usually overcooked, the drinks are watered down and I cant have a good conversation with anyone. Not to mention they are messy as hell and I dont care how much they try they are not going to be able to fall in line with the best practices.

I will have people over and we can get take out if they dont want me to cook for them. (though they usually do) Plus I have a better selection of whiskeys than many of the bars and I dont charge a premium or put 3/4 of a glass of ice in it. :D

Maybe come the winter, or if I travel somewhere but in town...I have almost no desire to do that. I mean I would love a Wild Rice Burger from Fitgers...but I also would kind of like to make one myself ;)

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu May 14 8:26 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Thu May 14 3:55 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Thu May 14 2:05 pm

Pretty crazy in Western Wisconsin today. Every single bar and restaurant had to decide this morning what they were going to do and how and then put it out on social media. Some places scrambling to convince their employees that they will have policies to keep them safe so they will come to work. I’ll bet Sysco will be busy today and tomorrow.
Knowing what I know about restaurants and the state of Wisconsin...if I was one of their workers I would rather go on food stamps than go back to work

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 137 times

Post by Bladepuller » Fri May 15 10:16 am

Think of how many bottles of Korbel died making up for lost time is Sconnie yesterday.
Any fatalities?
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri May 15 10:36 am

I am sure plenty of deer are taking long showers crying in the corner...

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 416 times

Post by Slap Shot » Fri May 15 1:02 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Fri May 15 10:16 am
Think of how many bottles of Korbel died making up for lost time is Sconnie yesterday.
Any fatalities?
Surely their home improvement stores kept up their inventory of paint thinner.
Currently under construction.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Fri May 15 6:21 pm

Per a Facebook post from them all Bonfire restaurants are closing for good. Axels locations to remain open

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Fri May 15 7:40 pm

There are 44,000 residents in Douglas County WI and 12 positive Covid-19 tests. I’m not saying people should congregate in Douglas County bars or restaurants like a bunch of idiots, jammed together & bellied up to the bar. But...if you practice proper social distancing within the establishment, and leave immediately if that’s not being followed there...you’re not exactly exposing yourself to the same risk matrix as congregating in a crowded establishment in say....Hennepin County. Like anything in life, you got to apply common sense regarding things you choose to do and choose not to do.

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Sat May 16 12:59 pm

Part of why these smaller localities have less deaths and cases is because social distancing is being enforced. And generally those places don’t have the hospital resources to deal with a larger number of cases. It’s easy to say, “we’ll let people use their own common sense to decide”, but in reality that’s just going to make the situation worse as people fail to do that.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat May 16 1:08 pm

Common sense...thats rich. As the great George Carlin once said:

Oh and of course:

And to hammer home the point:

I dont trust anyone I see out there. 2 months of Shelter in Place and people are losing their minds. I dont doubt all of them will screw this up if given the chance and I am not going to put my friends and family at risk just so I can eat some greasy food.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by team22tank » Sat May 16 1:20 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sat May 16 1:08 pm
Common sense...thats rich. As the great George Carlin once said:

Oh and of course:

And to hammer home the point:

I dont trust anyone I see out there. 2 months of Shelter in Place and people are losing their minds. I dont doubt all of them will screw this up if given the chance and I am not going to put my friends and family at risk just so I can eat some greasy food.
I like George

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat May 16 1:22 pm

Just take a gander at my signature line below.

The Bandit had some gems. :D

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sat May 16 1:24 pm

Zwak wrote:
Fri May 15 6:21 pm
Per a Facebook post from them all Bonfire restaurants are closing for good. Axels locations to remain open
The Bonfire in Blaine/Circle Pines had terrible service and we never returned.

I won’t miss it.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sat May 16 1:27 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sat May 16 1:24 pm
Zwak wrote:
Fri May 15 6:21 pm
The Bonfire in Blaine/Circle Pines had terrible service and we never returned.

I won’t miss it.
I can second that.

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Sat May 16 1:30 pm

Anyone know the difference between bacteria germs and a virus?

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 206 times

Post by Karlsson » Sat May 16 1:47 pm

Bacteria are larger and more complex, and can live and reproduce on their own. There are a lot of bacteria that are good for us. Viruses are tiny and much simpler (DNA/RNA wrapped in a thin protein wall) and need a host to survive. Most cause illness.

It gets way more complicated than that, obviously. That is an extremely brief description.

Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Armadillo » Sat May 16 1:51 pm

What are two things that have never been in my kitchen?
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Sat May 16 1:51 pm

Right, all I’m saying is in the context of what George Carlin is talking about in that quote, I kinda doubt he’s talking about something along the lines of Covid.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun May 17 12:28 am

He's not...he is mocking helicopter parents who don't let their kids do anything that puts them at risk.

The quote he would use for COVID would be the one about how the planet is fine but the people are beeped. He said the Earth will survive long after we are gone and will kill us off to heal itself.

Start around 6 minutes of your don't want to watch the whole thing.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Sun May 17 8:56 am

Handyman wrote:
Sun May 17 12:28 am
He's not...he is mocking helicopter parents who don't let their kids do anything that puts them at risk.

The quote he would use for COVID would be the one about how the planet is fine but the people are beeped. He said the Earth will survive long after we are gone and will kill us off to heal itself.

Start around 6 minutes of your don't want to watch the whole thing.
Sorry that quote I posted was his bit “Fear of Germs.” Here is the entire transcript. It has nothing to do with helicopter parents.

https://scrapsfromtheloft.com/2017/04/0 ... ranscript/

While titled germs, he also uses Hantuvirus, Bird Flu and Super Virus in the bit. And he very clearly stated a number of times the importance of a immune system.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 137 times

Post by Bladepuller » Sun May 17 9:04 am

So did our immune system evolve protection from another species' virus?
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Sun May 17 9:05 am

trixR4kids wrote:
Sat May 16 1:51 pm
Right, all I’m saying is in the context of what George Carlin is talking about in that quote, I kinda doubt he’s talking about something along the lines of Covid.
I can’t say either because he has obviously passed but based on the transcript of the entire bit I think it’s pretty clear what he thinks.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun May 17 10:34 am

Maybe we should get back to food. I just finished a bag of Hot and Spicy popcorn from Popped Corn (by the Opus business park). That and the Candyland White Cheddar popcorn are like crack to me.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun May 17 10:43 am

One of our favorites out West (Lat14) opened for takeout. Excited to get some this week!

We live across from Latuff's Pizzeria and has been our go to for Pizza during the SAH, but man, I really like their food and pizza! So good!

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun May 17 10:58 am

Glad to hear Lat14 is back open.

For those in the west metro, Rock Elm is going $7 cheeseburger and fries deals on Mondays. They make a pretty good burger so we're going to give that a try tomorrow night.

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Sun May 17 11:23 am

davescharf wrote:
Sun May 17 10:58 am
For those in the west metro, Rock Elm is going $7 cheeseburger and fries deals on Mondays. They make a pretty good burger so we're going to give that a try tomorrow night.
We've had the Monday burger special from both Rock Elm and the Sunshine Factory. The latter is by far the better option. And whichever one you choose, see what other options to the fries are available. Fries do not travel well.