Restaurant

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 48 times

Re: Restaurant

Post by The Rube » Sat Apr 27 12:45 pm

Hit up Back Channel Brewing today, they had Fireman's BBQ food truck out there...wow.

I got the smokehouse pulled pork sandwich (pulled pork, bacon, cheddar cheese, bourbon sauce, crispy onions). The bun was in there somewhere. Quite excellent, highly recommend. The quality and quantity is impressive.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by frozen4champs » Thu May 02 4:01 pm

I wonder how the lawsuits between the franchisee and the company played into this. It has been an ugly marriage between them for years.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by Cowgirl » Thu May 02 10:41 pm

They realized we aren’t actually a part of Canada.

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by davescharf » Wed May 22 8:30 am

Went to Lat 14 for our anniversary last night. It’s just east of 169 on Hwy 55 and focused on SE Asian food

Everything we tried was excellent. They also served Lumpia which excites me because an old family friend is Filipino and always used to make it.

There aren’t a lot of unique and non chain places to eat in the west metro but I’d highly recommend trying it out. Just make a reservation as it was packed given it was a Tuesday night
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed May 22 9:47 am

davescharf wrote:
Wed May 22 8:30 am
Went to Lat 14 for our anniversary last night. It’s just east of 169 on Hwy 55 and focused on SE Asian food

Everything we tried was excellent. They also served Lumpia which excites me because an old family friend is Filipino and always used to make it.

There aren’t a lot of unique and non chain places to eat in the west metro but I’d highly recommend trying it out. Just make a reservation as it was packed given it was a Tuesday night
Agreed! Yeah, been there recently for lunch and dinner. Both fabulous and yes, always packed and need reservations. The drinks are good and the fusion of the flavors are good. Her other restaurant in Brooklyn Park is one of our favorites. Highly recommend it!

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Slap Shot » Wed May 22 9:59 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Wed May 22 9:47 am
davescharf wrote:

Agreed! Yeah, been there recently for lunch and dinner. Both fabulous and yes, always packed and need reservations. The drinks are good and the fusion of the flavors are good. Her other restaurant in Brooklyn Park is one of our favorites. Highly recommend it!
Lemongrass? Regardless Lat 14 must have opened since we moved away.
Currently under construction.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Bonin21 » Wed May 22 10:01 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Thu May 02 10:41 pm
They realized we aren’t actually a part of Canada.
I would gladly be a part of Canada... It would be odd though cuz then we'd be the team full of Canadians...
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
103 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Wed May 22 10:49 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
davescharf wrote:

Is Lemongrass their other place? If not what is it?

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed May 22 11:05 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Wed May 22 9:59 am
gopherguy06 wrote:
davescharf wrote:

Yeah, off 252. Lat14 opened in Feb/March and replaced a Perkins. Nice to have a non chain in the area. And the cocktails and bar Are great

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Steve MN » Wed May 22 11:08 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Wed May 22 11:05 am
Slap Shot wrote:
gopherguy06 wrote:
davescharf wrote:

Yeah, off 252. Lat14 opened in Feb/March and replaced a Perkins. Nice to have a non chain in the area. And the cocktails and bar Are great
I'll have to try Lat14 then. I definitely like Lemongrass. I'll still hit Lemongrass more often, since it's only a few blocks from my house, but given how good the food is there, I'll certainly drop in at Lat14 sometime.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Wed May 22 11:10 am

I’ve only had Lemongrass once when work brought it in. Definite will go in person based on the experience last noght

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Handyman » Wed May 22 11:55 am

I wont lie it ticks me off that Perkins was gone. My buddies and I used to hang there late night quite a bit. My gf went tto Lat 14 and brought me some leftovers which I found kinda lame but her and her friends suck at ordering food so I will have to try it myself ;)
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Wed May 22 11:57 am

Handyman wrote:
Wed May 22 11:55 am
I wont lie it ticks me off that Perkins was gone. My buddies and I used to hang there late night quite a bit. My gf went tto Lat 14 and brought me some leftovers which I found kinda lame but her and her friends suck at ordering food so I will have to try it myself ;)
Oh my... all the late nights my friends an I spent at that Perkins back in the day. Wonder how often the two of us crossed paths there and never knew it...

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed May 22 12:01 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Wed May 22 11:57 am
Handyman wrote:
Wed May 22 11:55 am
Oh my... all the late nights my friends an I spent at that Perkins back in the day. Wonder how often the two of us crossed paths there and never knew it...
No joke my buddies and I figured out (roughly) how much we spent there one summer...they should have named a booth after us we gave them so much money! The best was there was only 3 people who worked overnights...one loved us, one hated us and one was like a year younger than us and her brother was a friend of ours so we hit on her constantly! And at least once a week we would order a milkshake just to hear the excuse they would give us as since they never wanted to make one late at night :D

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed May 22 12:17 pm

Lemongrass is great and there are a couple other places near there. Cajun place and another Asian place.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Wed May 22 6:38 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Wed May 22 11:08 am
gopherguy06 wrote:
Wed May 22 11:05 am
Slap Shot wrote:
gopherguy06 wrote:
davescharf wrote:

I'll have to try Lat14 then. I definitely like Lemongrass. I'll still hit Lemongrass more often, since it's only a few blocks from my house, but given how good the food is there, I'll certainly drop in at Lat14 sometime.
I used to live just south of 252/Noble Parkway off 93rd and Loch Lomonnd.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed May 22 9:58 pm

I'll have to try Lat 14, and there is a story or two from that Perkins for sure.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Thu May 23 2:18 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Wed May 22 6:38 pm
Didn't remember exactly where, but I do recall us discussing that a few years back.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu May 23 3:02 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Thu May 23 2:18 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Didn't remember exactly where, but I do recall us discussing that a few years back.
Probably while watching the Gophers lose to Yale. :chainsaw: :censored: :anger:

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Thu May 23 3:20 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu May 23 3:02 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Thu May 23 2:18 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Probably while watching the Gophers lose to Yale. :chainsaw: :censored: :anger:
While watching what? I don't recall the event you mention occurring, therefore, I must not have watched it with you ;)

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Mon Jun 10 10:19 pm

My wife and daughter went to the Dells over the weekend and brought home a chocolate dipped Jalapeño pepper.

This thing Can be added to the small list of foods that chocolate doesn’t enhance the taste of. I took one bite and gave it to my wife to eat

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Jun 10 10:54 pm

davescharf wrote:
Mon Jun 10 10:19 pm
My wife and daughter went to the Dells over the weekend and brought home a chocolate dipped Jalapeño pepper.

This thing Can be added to the small list of foods that chocolate doesn’t enhance the taste of. I took one bite and gave it to my wife to eat
Yeah, that just doesn't sound appetizing.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Jane Fonda
Veteran
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Jane Fonda » Tue Jun 11 12:45 pm

The Rube wrote:
Mon Jun 10 10:54 pm
davescharf wrote:

But you like stouts with botb cacao nibs and peppers. Not much different, is it?

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Tue Jun 11 8:43 pm

The stout doesn’t taste like eating a raw pepper.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Jun 11 9:09 pm

Jane Fonda wrote:
Tue Jun 11 12:45 pm
The Rube wrote:
davescharf wrote:

But you like stouts with botb cacao nibs and peppers. Not much different, is it?
I hate coconut as a food, but like it in stouts. It's different.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Kelly Red » Wed Jun 12 5:42 pm

The Rube wrote:
Tue Jun 11 9:09 pm
Jane Fonda wrote:
Tue Jun 11 12:45 pm
The Rube wrote:
davescharf wrote:

I hate coconut as a food, but like it in stouts. It's different.
Yup. Love the smell of coconut. Love coconut sauce in Thai food. Love me a rich pina colada. But coconut itself? Yuck.
It's a texture thing. Plus ever since I was little, shredded coconut looks like freshly clipped toenail shards. It's a visual I've never shaken. And now, neither will you! Sorry :wink:
How many husbands have I had? You mean besides my own?
-Zsa Zsa Gabor

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Jun 12 5:44 pm

Good coconut shrimp is legit
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Wed Jun 12 6:05 pm

Visited the Revival location at Keg & Case over the weekend. My god, they have some incredible pastrami. Out of this world good.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Greyeagle » Wed Jun 12 8:50 pm

Jane Fonda wrote:
Wed Jun 12 6:05 pm
Visited the Revival location at Keg & Case over the weekend. My god, they have some incredible pastrami. Out of this world good.
It's a life changing sandwich.

If Ford is to Chevrolet What Dodge is to Chrysler / What Corn Flakes are to Post Toasties
What the clear blue sky is to the deep blue sea / What Hank Williams is to Neil Armstrong
Can you doubt we were made for each other

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Wed Jun 12 9:56 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Wed Jun 12 8:50 pm
Jane Fonda wrote:
You're not lying.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Jun 12 9:57 pm

Pastrami is underrated. There is a Pastrami Burger at Crossroads Deli in Minnetonka. Burger topped with pastrami. It's amazing.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Wed Jun 12 10:00 pm

http://minnesotaskinny.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/RevivalPastrami.jpg

Karlsson
Veteran
Been liked: 47 times

Post by Karlsson » Thu Jun 13 6:39 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Jane Fonda wrote:
He let me have a bite. First time I regretted ordering brisket. The brisket is ridiculously good, but that pastrami... good grief.

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Thu Jun 13 6:49 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Thu Jun 13 6:39 pm
Greyeagle wrote:
Jane Fonda wrote:
He let me have a bite. First time I regretted ordering brisket. The brisket is ridiculously good, but that pastrami... good grief.
The brisket is fantastic!

If Ford is to Chevrolet What Dodge is to Chrysler / What Corn Flakes are to Post Toasties
What the clear blue sky is to the deep blue sea / What Hank Williams is to Neil Armstrong

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Thu Jun 13 7:07 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Thu Jun 13 6:49 pm
Karlsson wrote:
Thu Jun 13 6:39 pm
Greyeagle wrote:
Jane Fonda wrote:
The brisket is fantastic!
It really is.

I wanted the bacon. Vetoed by the Mrs. I gave pulling a childish fit over it a go, she didn't go for it. I knew I picked her for a reason.

I will have that bacon, though. Someday.

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Thu Jun 13 7:48 pm

Plus the sandwiches are huge!!

Last time I went for lunch I could only eat half of the Pastrami so I brought the other half back for YE so he could try it. You should have seen his eyes light up! Made his day.

He’s working at Mother Mining and we are in the same building so I was a nice guy. For once. 😀

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jun 13 9:17 pm

:shock: YE works? I thought he was retired.

Kelor
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Kelor » Thu Jun 13 9:29 pm

I always figured GE worked for YE.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.

Post by MNGophers29 » Sun Jun 16 9:43 pm

Kelor wrote:
Thu Jun 13 9:29 pm
I always figured GE worked for YE.
I think GE just buys him vacation homes.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Zwak » Tue Jun 18 7:49 am

Time for the annual list of new State Fair Foods.

http://www.startribune.com/new-minnesota-state-fair-foods-2019/510936942/
GPL's official source of trivia.

MinnesotaNorthStar
Veteran
Been liked: 4 times

Post by MinnesotaNorthStar » Sat Jun 22 6:13 pm

I'm sure some of you have been to Pinstripes in Edina...

Any recommendations on what to get?
"I've made a career out of ugly goals" - Dino Ciccarelli
Slap Shot: They're [UND FANS] top notch.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Jun 22 6:25 pm

MinnesotaNorthStar wrote:
Sat Jun 22 6:13 pm

Never been. But would imagine they have good cake?

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Jun 22 6:52 pm

Douchiness is definitely served up there lol

Only ever had apps in a group setting which were all okay.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by george » Sun Jun 23 7:54 am

MinnesotaNorthStar wrote:
Sat Jun 22 6:13 pm

Nothing springs to mind. It's not fine dining, but solid food from my recollection, been a few years. Great spot for groups to gather.

I'm sure bonnin brings douchiness with him wherever he goes.

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Zwak » Thu Jul 04 1:18 pm

Anyone ever heard of or tried “beach pizza”?

https://www.eater.com/platform/amp/2019 ... ssion=true
GPL's official source of trivia.

Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Armadillo » Fri Jul 05 3:11 pm

Zwak wrote:
Thu Jul 04 1:18 pm

I just had St. Louis style pizza for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and I'd sooner have another one of those Provel-topped disasters before trying whatever abomination that thing is.
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Fri Jul 05 3:12 pm

Went to Ham’s Sandwich shop today and reminded myself I don’t go nearly enough. The Fiery Train Wreck was fantastic and probably my new favorite

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Fri Jul 05 3:15 pm

Armadillo wrote:
Fri Jul 05 3:11 pm
Zwak wrote:

I just had St. Louis style pizza for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and I'd sooner have another one of those Provel-topped disasters before trying whatever abomination that thing is.
I didn’t have their style of pizza but the St Louis style BBQ was nothing to write home about. It wasn’t awful but when the whole style is entirely dependent on sauce you’re not starting off well

I will say though having it in a jail cell (restaurant was a converted police station) was pretty neat

Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Armadillo » Fri Jul 05 7:55 pm

davescharf wrote:
Fri Jul 05 3:15 pm
Armadillo wrote:
Zwak wrote:

I didn’t have their style of pizza but the St Louis style BBQ was nothing to write home about. It wasn’t awful but when the whole style is entirely dependent on sauce you’re not starting off well

I will say though having it in a jail cell (restaurant was a converted police station) was pretty neat
If you're in St. Louis and craving BBQ, do yourself a favor and drive either 3.5 hours west or 4 hours south. Get serious about it.
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sat Jul 06 12:54 am

Armadillo wrote:
Fri Jul 05 7:55 pm
davescharf wrote:
Fri Jul 05 3:15 pm
Armadillo wrote:
Zwak wrote:

If you're in St. Louis and craving BBQ, do yourself a favor and drive either 3.5 hours west or 4 hours south. Get serious about it.
I get my fix on my frequent trips to Memphis for work

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Jul 06 9:53 am

Memphis style is the worst of the BBQs. Blech.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Sat Jul 06 11:40 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Jul 06 9:53 am
Disagree. I do still prefer Carolina or Texas, though. Carolina for pig, Texas for cow.

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Sat Jul 06 11:13 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Holy f*** this is an awful opinion. Memphis dry rub style is by far the superior for ribs.

Texas rules brisket.

Carolinas win pork butt/pulled pork.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sat Jul 06 11:49 pm

Didn’t realize I’d start a BBQ fight. I love the Memphis Dry ribs. There are two or three places I’ve generally started going to now after a bunch or trips there and it’s always excellent

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Jul 06 11:53 pm

OC just added Memphis Dry Rub. I am far from an expert, but they were tasty.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun Jul 07 12:29 am

The Rube wrote:
Sat Jul 06 11:53 pm
OC just added Memphis Dry Rub. I am far from an expert, but they were tasty.
That’s like saying Hy-Vee sushi tastes like something you’d see at Fuji-Ya or similar place ;)

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Jul 07 12:32 am

That's what I'm saying. ;) For a chain, it wasn't bad. Nothing more, nothing less.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Thirty-Four » Sun Jul 07 9:47 am

The irony of Minnesotans debating the best bbq. :rotflmao:

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Sun Jul 07 10:06 am

Yeah, seriously people! We've forgotten that we are only allowed to have opinions on lutefisk and cheeseburgers.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Jul 07 12:28 pm

Jane Fonda wrote:
Sat Jul 06 11:13 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Holy f*** this is an awful opinion. Memphis dry rub style is by far the superior for ribs.

Texas rules brisket.

Carolinas win pork butt/pulled pork.
I prefer KC style, even when I make my own. I glaze ribs with sauce for the last 45 minutes of smoking.

I ate at Rendevouz in Memphis and was not impressed at all. They tried to do too much with the rub.

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Sun Jul 07 5:32 pm

Thirty-Four wrote:
Sun Jul 07 9:47 am
Because none of us have ever traveled to the places known for great BBQ...

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Thirty-Four » Sun Jul 07 6:35 pm

Jane Fonda wrote:
Sun Jul 07 5:32 pm
Thirty-Four wrote:
Sun Jul 07 9:47 am
Because none of us have ever traveled to the places known for great BBQ...
Hook, line and sinker.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Jul 08 12:06 am

Chimbarazo in Nordeast is a great spot for some Ecuadorian food! Their Plantains are delicious :)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Jul 08 9:58 am

Handyman wrote:
Mon Jul 08 12:06 am
Chimbarazo in Nordeast is a great spot for some Ecuadorian food! Their Plantains are delicious :)
Great, underrated spot!

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Jul 08 3:10 pm

I don't prefer a "style" of BBQ, I prefer good BBQ. Plain and simple. Sometimes I might be in the mood for a certain flavor, I can do that with a rub or a sauce. My bucket list includes Franklin BBQ in Austin TX.

Also, you can get perfectly good BBQ in Minnesota/ND, even up against any other area of the country, it doesn't matter where it is cooked, its the style. I mean, there isn't anything in the air over Texas that makes their brisket better than you can get anywhere else.

One peeve I have with BBQ and I know the reasoning, but you can almost never get burnt ends anywhere north of KC it seems. Yeah, people try and fake them with a roast or whatever, but all of these places that just serve the flat...what are they doing with the point/ends? Keeping them for themselves?
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Jul 09 6:06 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Mon Jul 08 3:10 pm
I don't prefer a "style" of BBQ, I prefer good BBQ. Plain and simple. Sometimes I might be in the mood for a certain flavor, I can do that with a rub or a sauce. My bucket list includes Franklin BBQ in Austin TX.

Also, you can get perfectly good BBQ in Minnesota/ND, even up against any other area of the country, it doesn't matter where it is cooked, its the style. I mean, there isn't anything in the air over Texas that makes their brisket better than you can get anywhere else.

One peeve I have with BBQ and I know the reasoning, but you can almost never get burnt ends anywhere north of KC it seems. Yeah, people try and fake them with a roast or whatever, but all of these places that just serve the flat...what are they doing with the point/ends? Keeping them for themselves?
It takes longer to smoke the point and flat together and it’s more work to separate them out mid way through smoking to dick around to get the true burnt ends.

Around here it’s difficult to even find a brisket with the point and flat together to attempt it on a backyard smoker.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Tue Jul 09 10:00 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Jul 09 6:06 am
MNGophers29 wrote:

It takes longer to smoke the point and flat together and it’s more work to separate them out mid way through smoking to dick around to get the true burnt ends.

Around here it’s difficult to even find a brisket with the point and flat together to attempt it on a backyard smoker.
Costco has them.

I separate mine before I even put it on the smoker. Works really well and I can still get my burnt ends.
Doug Woog - 1990

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 49 times

Post by Vegoe » Mon Jul 15 10:16 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Tue Jul 09 10:00 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Jul 09 6:06 am
MNGophers29 wrote:

Costco has them.

I separate mine before I even put it on the smoker. Works really well and I can still get my burnt ends.
The costco business center usually has a great selection of choice and prime briskets to pick through. I see bbq food trucks there buying them as well.

00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by 00xtremeninja » Fri Jul 19 8:53 pm

Wife and I went to Mannys for our anniversary dinner. Solid as usual.
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sun Jul 28 12:11 am

Don't care what anyone says, we're in Manila today and enjoying BWW and a rare opportunity for me to have a craft beer. We got authentic Spanish and Turkish yesterday, seafood on the bay tonight and Spanish again tomorrow so I don't feel guilty. 😎

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Jul 28 12:48 am

Had Fireman's BBQ Food truck today. Had the Texas Steer "Sandwich"
Brisket, Bacon, Holy Smokes Sauce, Crispy Onions, Jalapeno, and Jalapeno Cheese.

I didn't bother trying to eat it as a sandwich. Just grabbed a knife and a fork. Delicious.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 16 times

Post by george » Sun Jul 28 9:52 am

Went to Black Sheep on Eat Street last night. All three pizzas were outstanding. Agree with Barstool saying the best of the Cities.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sun Jul 28 11:08 am

I thought it was very good but not tops.

1. Broadway Richfield Meat Lovers (Richfield only. Hate on this opinion but it has the best overall flavor around.)
2. Ninos Maplewood (order a whole pizza so it's made for you and not ready by the slice)
T3. Big River
T3. Red Wagon
5. Black Sheep
T6. Blaze in SLP when you get a good worker making it. Underrated.
T6. Lola (consistency has been an issue)

Haven't had Young Joni but figure it's like Lola.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Jul 28 11:09 am

Pig Ate My Pizza is top notch.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sun Jul 28 11:23 am

Ah never had it good call