Let's get to know each other...

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times

Re: Let's get to know each other...

Post by The Rube » Mon Apr 13 9:45 pm

Check the Music Thread in about 10 minutes...I'd rather not cross-pollute.....
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Apr 13 11:49 pm

Ok so I guess I will go a bit further into this music thing.

I didn’t get into music until after HS. Prior to moving to Madison, I only “listened” to rap. My Dad was a big “oldies” guy and we had a fantastic station in EGF for that. 100.3. S’good.

Went to college, got into a lot of different music. Madison seemed to be on the cutting edge of the music scene. Anyway, I veered towards classic rock for years until my oldest 2 kids got into music and I started having them listen to all decades of music that really started with Bad Wolves version of Zombie and I had them listen to the original. Then we did the Beatles and they couldn’t believe how many Beatles songs were in their everyday life. From there it ballooned to now that we watch videos from every decade together. YouTube is on almost all of the time when they are with me and we sing and talk about the meaning, etc. It’s really remarkable how it brought us together and now my 4.5 year old is really into all of it as well. Her favorite song is Old Man by Neil Young.

My favorite song is any song that was around before today’s pop stuff that my kids dig.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Apr 13 11:58 pm

Also, we have watched James Corden’s Carpool Karaoke with Paul McCartney about 25 times.
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 416 times

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Apr 14 2:45 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Mon Apr 13 11:58 pm
Also, we have watched James Corden’s Carpool Karaoke with Paul McCartney about 25 times.
I have too. The Beatles might be favorite artist from Rubber Soul through Let it Be even though I didn't name them for my favorite song. Although it would be a tossup really between them and a few others.
Currently under construction.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 981 times
Been liked: 665 times

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Apr 14 7:24 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Mon Apr 13 11:49 pm

I didn’t get into music until after HS. Prior to moving to Madison, I only “listened” to rap. My Dad was a big “oldies” guy and we had a fantastic station in EGF for that. 100.3. S’good.

Went to college, got into a lot of different music. Madison seemed to be on the cutting edge of the music scene. Anyway, I veered towards classic rock for years until my oldest 2 kids got into music and I started having them listen to all decades of music that really started with Bad Wolves version of Zombie and I had them listen to the original. Then we did the Beatles and they couldn’t believe how many Beatles songs were in their everyday life. From there it ballooned to now that we watch videos from every decade together. YouTube is on almost all of the time when they are with me and we sing and talk about the meaning, etc. It’s really remarkable how it brought us together and now my 4.5 year old is really into all of it as well. Her favorite song is Old Man by Neil Young.

My favorite song is any song that was around before today’s pop stuff that my kids dig.
Love it!
When YE left for college he was a more into pop and some rap. I had to pick him up at school for a family wedding and on the way home he asked if he could plug in his phone, there was an album he wanted me to hear.

He turns on The Wall.

As he asking me what I think and the old "you must of have this one before" I give it about 4-5 tracks before I start singing along (to Mother, I believe) and he shoots me a look. Yes, son, but I have heard these before.... :lol:

It's really fun to watch your kids musical tastes evolve.
Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Apr 14 2:45 am
I have too. The Beatles might be favorite artist from Rubber Soul through Let it Be even though I didn't name them for my favorite song. Although it would be a tossup really between them and a few others.
For You Blue on Let It Be may be The Beatles most underappreciated song.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Apr 14 9:09 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Tue Apr 14 7:24 am
Slap Shot wrote:
My favorite non-hits would include Hey Bulldog, Rain, Blue Jay Way, Love You To (not to be confused with the poppier "Love Me Do"), I Want You, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Polythene Pam, Only A Norther Song, Long, Long, Long, Piggies, Savoy Truffle, A Day In The Life, Why Don't We Do It In The Road, I could go on... :)

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 144 times

Post by Kelly Red » Tue Apr 14 10:01 am

Your favorite COMFORT food?

Mine is my Grandmothers cassoulet. It’s warm, rich, smells divine and takes over 2 days to make. She is long gone but I make it once a year and reminisce.
Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let’s go. We’re burning daylight.
-John Wayne

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 124 times

Post by Norm » Tue Apr 14 10:06 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Apr 14 9:09 am
Greyeagle wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
My favorite non-hits would include Hey Bulldog, Rain, Blue Jay Way, Love You To (not to be confused with the poppier "Love Me Do"), I Want You, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Polythene Pam, Only A Norther Song, Long, Long, Long, Piggies, Savoy Truffle, A Day In The Life, Why Don't We Do It In The Road, I could go on... :)
I've Just Seen A Face, Old Brown Shoe, One After 909, For No One, Fixing A Hole, In My Life...
From Slap Shot's list, Rain was a hit. It was on a single with Paperback Writer.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 137 times

Post by Bladepuller » Tue Apr 14 10:40 am

Comfort food is defined by pot roast, gravy, and mashed tatters.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by streakygopher » Tue Apr 14 10:50 am

Greyeagle wrote:
MNGophers29 wrote:
Mon Apr 13 11:49 pm

Love it!
When YE left for college he was a more into pop and some rap. I had to pick him up at school for a family wedding and on the way home he asked if he could plug in his phone, there was an album he wanted me to hear.

He turns on The Wall.

As he asking me what I think and the old "you must of have this one before" I give it about 4-5 tracks before I start singing along (to Mother, I believe) and he shoots me a look. Yes, son, but I have heard these before.... :lol:

It's really fun to watch your kids musical tastes evolve.
Slap Shot wrote:
Similar experience for my 30-year-old son. He was all over the rap and semi-rap garbage in high school. Now, he's locked into the 70s. Since he was getting into it, I sent him a link for Zeppelin's Bronya Stomp and Goin' to CA, and he was blown away.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Apr 14 1:42 pm

Norm wrote:
Tue Apr 14 10:06 am
Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Apr 14 9:09 am
Greyeagle wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
I've Just Seen A Face, Old Brown Shoe, One After 909, For No One, Fixing A Hole, In My Life...
From Slap Shot's list, Rain was a hit. It was on a single with Paperback Writer.
Rain was a B-Side and not a very well known Beatles song to the general public is what I was more going with.

Both my kids have their own tastes in music but have become fans over the years of my catalog which runs the gamut.

Comfort foods: Gumbo, chili (NO BEANS!), PB&J with a glass of milk

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Tue Apr 14 1:49 pm

Comfort food for me is Thanksgiving dinner. Bunch of turkey, mashed potatoes, and dressing (not stuffing) all covered in gravy with a roll on the side.

Composer
Veteran
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Composer » Tue Apr 14 2:08 pm

Pasty

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by D2D » Tue Apr 14 2:15 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Tue Apr 14 1:49 pm
Comfort food for me is Thanksgiving dinner. Bunch of turkey, mashed potatoes, and dressing (not stuffing) all covered in gravy with a roll on the side.
Followed by a nap!
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by davescharf » Tue Apr 14 3:15 pm

Comfort food is my homemade lasagna or a bowl of chili
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Apr 14 3:54 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Tue Apr 14 10:01 am

Mine is my Grandmothers cassoulet. It’s warm, rich, smells divine and takes over 2 days to make. She is long gone but I make it once a year and reminisce.
Burrito. This will be viewed by some as blasphemy, but I'd rather have a good burrito than a good pizza. It's really close, but in the end...burrito.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Tue Apr 14 7:41 pm

Kelly Red wrote:

There is only 1 thing that I learned to make my first year out of HS because I couldn't be home for a holiday.

Wild rice hot dish. I can make it in my sleep, my kids love it,
But I only make it for holidays. I know there are a million recipes out there, but I remember calling my mom just before Thanksgiving 1997 for the recipe because I realized I wouldn’t be eating hers. I still have my notes from that call.
Doug Woog - 1990

melmac
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by melmac » Tue Apr 14 8:45 pm

TTHD
I was told there would be no math.

Someday I'll win...
Charter member of the GPL Convoy Crew

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Apr 14 8:57 pm

melmac wrote:
Tue Apr 14 8:45 pm
TTHD
If you are not midwestern, you have no clue what this is.

And that is why this is a great post.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by YoungEagle » Tue Apr 14 9:00 pm

Juicy Lucy has always been a go to for favorite comfort food. Matts/5-8 Club/Nook it doesn’t matter they’re all good.
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Tue Apr 14 9:59 pm

The Rube wrote:
Tue Apr 14 8:57 pm
melmac wrote:
TTHD

I know what it is, I just didn’t know what “TTHD” meant until I looked it up.

FYI, it is a great food group so I totally get it being a comfort food!
Doug Woog - 1990

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Tue Apr 14 10:00 pm

YoungEagle wrote:
Tue Apr 14 9:00 pm
Juicy Lucy has always been a go to for favorite comfort food. Matts/5-8 Club/Nook it doesn’t matter they’re all good.
Boy, we may have to discuss the definition of comfort food. To me, it isn’t a food you go somewhere and get, it’s a food your Mom/G-ma made that gives you comfort. Maybe it’s just me though.
Doug Woog - 1990

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Apr 14 10:00 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Tue Apr 14 9:59 pm
The Rube wrote:
melmac wrote:
TTHD

That is exactly the point of my post. :D

TheRube33 on UnTappd

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Tue Apr 14 10:02 pm

The Rube wrote:
Tue Apr 14 10:00 pm
MNGophers29 wrote:
The Rube wrote:
melmac wrote:
TTHD

But I am more midwestern born and raised than Will Smith was West Philly.
Doug Woog - 1990

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Apr 14 10:02 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Tue Apr 14 10:02 pm
The Rube wrote:
MNGophers29 wrote:
The Rube wrote:
melmac wrote:
TTHD

The initials "TTHD" is innate. ;)

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Tue Apr 14 10:16 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
YoungEagle wrote:
Boy, we may have to discuss the definition of comfort food. To me, it isn’t a food you go somewhere and get, it’s a food your Mom/G-ma made that gives you comfort. Maybe it’s just me though.
Blame his father :lol:

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Tue Apr 14 10:19 pm

@Kelly Red you asked the other day about gifts. My daughter turned 10 today and her aunt asked some people if they’d be willing to send her a card since we had to cancel her party. She got 15 of them from friends and family as of today. She absolutely loved it and I’m sure she’ll talk about it for a long time

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 499 times

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Apr 14 10:21 pm

The Rube wrote:
MNGophers29 wrote:
The Rube wrote:
MNGophers29 wrote:
The Rube wrote:
melmac wrote:
TTHD

Acronyms are not innate.
Those of us who grew up with tater tot hot dish did not call it TTHD when we spoke to one another. :crazy:

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Apr 14 10:24 pm

davescharf wrote:
Tue Apr 14 10:19 pm
@Kelly Red you asked the other day about gifts. My daughter turned 10 today and her aunt asked some people if they’d be willing to send her a card since we had to cancel her party. She got 15 of them from friends and family as of today. She absolutely loved it and I’m sure she’ll talk about it for a long time
Did you quarantine the cards for 72 hours?! Those envelopes didn’t lick themselves closed..... 😬

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Apr 14 10:25 pm

Those with the internet know what TTDH stood for. Wasn't even a question. ;)

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Tue Apr 14 10:25 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Tue Apr 14 10:24 pm
davescharf wrote:
Did you quarantine the cards for 72 hours?! Those envelopes didn’t lick themselves closed..... 😬
Many of them yes. We actually didn’t give her any of them until today...a topic we’ve heard about multiple times for days

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Apr 14 10:28 pm

davescharf wrote:
Tue Apr 14 10:25 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Tue Apr 14 10:24 pm
davescharf wrote:
Many of them yes. We actually didn’t give her any of them until today...a topic we’ve heard about multiple times for days
Sorry. Things we never thought about before, and probably always will have to from now on.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 363 times

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Apr 14 11:08 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Tue Apr 14 1:49 pm
Same. Except for me it’s stuffing. Homemade sausage, onion, and sage stuffing.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Apr 15 5:25 am

I'm not sure the concept of comfort food includes the most complicated meal of the year. As leftovers the next day? Sure. :)

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Apr 15 8:36 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Wed Apr 15 5:25 am
I'm not sure the concept of comfort food includes the most complicated meal of the year. As leftovers the next day? Sure. :)
It does if your Mom makes all of it and you roll off the couch with your beer and dish up after it has been put on the table!
Doug Woog - 1990

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Wed Apr 15 9:37 am

Growing up my mom made lots of hotdishes. When my wife and I got married, she told me she had never had a hotdish. Her family was meat and potatoes period.
My mom died shortly after we were married and my wife got her recipe file. Now she makes all kinds of wonderful hotdishes.

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by gopherguy13 » Wed Apr 15 9:58 am

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of comfort food is chicken wild rice soup. Mom always makes it basically completely from scratch. Cooks the chicken, shreds it, uses the broth, oh man it's good. That's one meal that will always remind me of home, or winter days at the cabin with that soup cooking all afternoon.
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Apr 15 10:01 am

gopherguy13 wrote:
Wed Apr 15 9:58 am
The first thing that comes to mind when I think of comfort food is chicken wild rice soup. Mom always makes it basically completely from scratch. Cooks the chicken, shreds it, uses the broth, oh man it's good. That's one meal that will always remind me of home, or winter days at the cabin with that soup cooking all afternoon.
This is along the same lines as the wild rice hot dish for my family. We all love creamy chicken wild rice soup. Made from scratch is so good and so not good for you....comfort food by definition.
Doug Woog - 1990

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed Apr 15 10:02 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Tue Apr 14 7:41 pm
Kelly Red wrote:

There is only 1 thing that I learned to make my first year out of HS because I couldn't be home for a holiday.

But I only make it for holidays. I know there are a million recipes out there, but I remember calling my mom just before Thanksgiving 1997 for the recipe because I realized I wouldn’t be eating hers. I still have my notes from that call.
Wild Rice Hotdish sounds awesome. Got the recipe to share?

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Apr 15 10:07 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Wed Apr 15 10:02 am
MNGophers29 wrote:
Tue Apr 14 7:41 pm
Kelly Red wrote:

Wild Rice Hotdish sounds awesome. Got the recipe to share?
Here ya go. Pretty simple.

1c White Rice

2c Wild Rice

1 yellow onion

1c celery

1# each of hamburger/Italian sausage

1 can Cream of Chicken soup

1 can Cream of Mushroom soup

½ can mushrooms sliced

¼ stick of butter

Thoroughly rinse the wild rice until water runs clear. Bring water to
boil with wild rice, let cook for 30-40 minutes, stirring
occasionally. Brown meat. Sautee onions and celery with butter.
Cook white rice. Mix all ingredients together and add soup and salt
and pepper to taste. Cook in oven for 1 hour or crock pot on low for
4-5 hours.

If it gets dry, you can add more cans of the soup until creamy.
Doug Woog - 1990

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Wed Apr 15 10:34 am

What’s the hardest question a kid has ever asked you! Ex: Is Santa real?

We had our 15 yr old nephew visiting us for a week at the cabin. We’re sitting around on the deck and out of the blue he asks “How old should you be before you have sex?” :shock: We were NOT Prepared for that! Remember this isn’t our kid! But my hubby stepped up to the plate and said, college. We briefly explained that HS was maybe too young, but that college was a good age. He just said “that sounds about right” and went back to looking at the lake.
-John Wayne

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Wed Apr 15 10:40 am

So when @YoungEagle was a kid he never stopped asking questions. Never!
So once he could read I got him the Guinness Book Of World Records, the World Almanac for whatever year it was, and a book call The Top Ten of Everything and said look here before you ask me or your mom. Best thing I ever did though I did create a fact machine.... :)

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 198 times

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Apr 15 10:48 am

That Guinness Book got so much money from kids that had to have it (maybe even multiple times). I think I remember one that was basically all shiny like chrome. Of course the kids will want that at the book fair.

Confirmed: 2000 (when I was in elementary and therefore had the book fair) was all silver. 2003 as well.
Last edited by Bonin21 on Wed Apr 15 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loserville, USA
108 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by YoungEagle » Wed Apr 15 10:48 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
YoungEagle wrote:
I disagree. I love chicken parm but I’ve never made it. Totally a comfort food.
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Wed Apr 15 10:51 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Wed Apr 15 10:40 am
So when @YoungEagle was a kid he never stopped asking questions. Like, "When will this cabin be mine?"

Composer
Veteran
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Composer » Wed Apr 15 11:07 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Tue Apr 14 10:21 pm
The Rube wrote:
MNGophers29 wrote:
The Rube wrote:
MNGophers29 wrote:
The Rube wrote:
melmac wrote:
TTHD

Acronyms are not innate.
Those of us who grew up with tater tot hot dish did not call it TTHD when we spoke to one another. :crazy:
Truth. Back in the day, we didn't acronym everything. (Or verb them)

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Wed Apr 15 11:10 am

Norm wrote:
Wed Apr 15 10:51 am
Greyeagle wrote:
So when @YoungEagle was a kid he never stopped asking questions. Like, "When will this cabin be mine?"
:good2: :lol: :dance:

We only answered realistic questions. :)

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Wed Apr 15 12:29 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Wed Apr 15 11:10 am
Norm wrote:
Wed Apr 15 10:51 am
Greyeagle wrote:
:good2: :lol: :dance:

We only answered realistic questions. :)
That is not a hard question to answer:
When you are paying the expenses for it, :dup:
That will also be when the traveling diminishes in direct proportion to said expenses.

MNNavy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by MNNavy » Wed Apr 15 1:12 pm

It's a tossup...
Last summer, while she was climbing a slide, our then 3-year old granddaughter looked down at me and asked me "Grandpa, do you have hair?" (if you've seen pictures of me, you would understand).
Last fall, we were babysitting, so mom & dad could have a night out, and the same 3-year old granddaughter asked me "Grandpa, why is your hair grey?"
It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance. - Thomas Sowell

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by george » Wed Apr 15 7:43 pm

MNNavy wrote:
Wed Apr 15 1:12 pm
It's a tossup...
Last summer, while she was climbing a slide, our then 3-year old granddaughter looked down at me and asked me "Grandpa, do you have hair?" (if you've seen pictures of me, you would understand).
Last fall, we were babysitting, so mom & dad could have a night out, and the same 3-year old granddaughter asked me "Grandpa, why is your hair grey?"
That second question is a gimme. "Your Mom/Dad made it turn grey by asking me lots of questions when they were your age." :lol:

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Apr 15 9:57 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Wed Apr 15 10:34 am

We had our 15 yr old nephew visiting us for a week at the cabin. We’re sitting around on the deck and out of the blue he asks “How old should you be before you have sex?” :shock: We were NOT Prepared for that! Remember this isn’t our kid! But my hubby stepped up to the plate and said, college. We briefly explained that HS was maybe too young, but that college was a good age. He just said “that sounds about right” and went back to looking at the lake.
If you're not my real dad, what are you?

That has been the toughest question to date; that issue has since been resolved, but try explaining that to a 6 year old.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Wed Apr 15 10:04 pm

The Rube wrote:
Wed Apr 15 9:57 pm
Kelly Red wrote:

That has been the toughest question to date; that issue has since been resolved, but try explaining that to a 6 year old.
I'm sure I'll be in that situation - explaining to my son that my wife isn't his "birthmom" and we're his adoptive parents.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Apr 15 10:58 pm

davescharf wrote:
Wed Apr 15 10:04 pm
The Rube wrote:
Wed Apr 15 9:57 pm
Kelly Red wrote:

I'm sure I'll be in that situation - explaining to my son that my wife isn't his "birthmom" and we're his adoptive parents.
Explaining anything like that to kids who don’t understand is tough. We have a blended family. My 13 & 11 year old are from my first wife. My almost 5 year old and 6 week old is from my current wife. My older kids have pretty much only know things this way. My 5 year old still doesn’t totally understand why her big brother and sister have to go to another house each week.

“It’s just as tough on Dad as it is you sweetie“ is all I tell her.
Doug Woog - 1990

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Apr 16 2:47 am

"Dad, how come you're some much more awesome and so much cooler than all the other dads?".

"Only God knows son".

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Thu Apr 16 9:54 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Apr 16 2:47 am
"Dad, how come you're some much more awesome and so much cooler than all the other dads?".

"Only God knows son".
Lord, it's hard to be humble. :wink:

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Thu Apr 16 11:13 am

If you could be instantly fluent in any language what would it be?

My heart says Italian, I know a little but I’d love to be native fluent. BUT my brain says pick Spanish for the practical reasons.

No, Italian it is.
-John Wayne

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Thu Apr 16 11:19 am

German

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Thu Apr 16 11:25 am

I think I would love to be fluent in my parents native language (Hindi). I know enough to get by, but not fluent and can't read/write.

GopherPete
Veteran
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by GopherPete » Thu Apr 16 11:49 am

Hebrew

minnhkyruls
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 12 times

Post by minnhkyruls » Thu Apr 16 11:52 am

Jive

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Thu Apr 16 11:53 am

Spanish. My youngest granddaughter is in a STEM Spanish immersion school and in 2nd grade doing all her math & work in Spanish.

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by D2D » Thu Apr 16 12:11 pm

Chinese. Would love to "listen in" to see what's really going on over there.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Thu Apr 16 12:16 pm

I’d love to learn French.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Thu Apr 16 12:19 pm

Klingon

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Apr 16 12:42 pm

Thai.

Viking
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Viking » Thu Apr 16 12:45 pm

German
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Thu Apr 16 1:12 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Thu Apr 16 12:19 pm
Klingon
Is that you Dr Sheldon Cooper?
Oh! That's right. Never mind. He aleady speaks it. 😚

I've seen way too many BBT reruns this last month.

melmac
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by melmac » Thu Apr 16 1:17 pm

English
I was told there would be no math.

Someday I'll win...
Charter member of the GPL Convoy Crew

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Thu Apr 16 1:37 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Thu Apr 16 11:53 am
Spanish. My youngest granddaughter is in a STEM Spanish immersion school and in 2nd grade doing all her math & work in Spanish.
What school or district they in?

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Thu Apr 16 1:42 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Thu Apr 16 1:12 pm
Snowcool08 wrote:
Thu Apr 16 12:19 pm
Klingon
Is that you Dr Sheldon Cooper?
Oh! That's right. Never mind. He aleady speaks it. 😚

I've seen way too many BBT reruns this last month.
Nah that was a joke answer. Tried to get a laugh.

If I’m being serious, I would say German. The language sounds so intimidating when you’re talking, let alone yelling.

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by Zwak » Thu Apr 16 2:14 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Thu Apr 16 11:13 am

My heart says Italian, I know a little but I’d love to be native fluent. BUT my brain says pick Spanish for the practical reasons.

No, Italian it is.
For practical reasons: Spanish
For impractical reasons: Latin
GPL's official source of trivia.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Thu Apr 16 2:48 pm

Zwak wrote:
Thu Apr 16 2:14 pm
Kelly Red wrote:

No, Italian it is.
:lol: My husband had 8 yrs of Latin. Early in our dating I found that interesting and unique. 30 yrs into marriage I’ve often found it annoying.
-John Wayne

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Thu Apr 16 3:07 pm

Norse. So I could go over and try to track my ancestors.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Steve MN » Thu Apr 16 3:08 pm

Chinese, in part to be able to do things like:
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Thu Apr 16 3:09 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Thu Apr 16 2:48 pm
Zwak wrote:
Thu Apr 16 2:14 pm
Kelly Red wrote:

No, Italian it is.
:lol: My husband had 8 yrs of Latin. Early in our dating I found that interesting and unique. 30 yrs into marriage I’ve often found it annoying.
Just how often does he use that?