Let's get to know each other...

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 89 times

Let's get to know each other...

Post by Zwak » Sat Mar 21 11:58 am

Hi all. In this crazy time of ours I thought it might be fun to get to know a little bit about each other. I started this thread so we can share things about each other that we think others might find interesting. I'll start:

1. I'm adopted. I met my birth mom several years ago but we don't have a strong relationship as i don't have an emotional need to.
2. I can swallow my tongue
3. In kindergarten (1971?) I got the chicken pox so bad that I was hospitalized for 2 days.
4. I attended the Apollo 11 space launch (I was only 3 at the time).
5. I have a 1st degree black belt in Taekwondo.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 94 times

Re: Let's get to know each other...

Post by Kelly Red » Sat Mar 21 12:37 pm

1) I put myself through college by being a foot model. Don’t laugh, I graduated debt free.
2) I am an excellent chef and relax by baking. (I’ve been baking a lot!) I am also a productive canner, learned from my grandma.
3) I was born in India. My parents taught school there for 10 years. We returned to the US when I was 7 and my brother was 5. I have very fond memories.
4) I am a cat person and love big dogs. Little dogs not so much. Like little dogs? Get a cat.
5) All four of my grandparents were immigrants from France. They immigrated in the mid-20s and in 1930. I speak fluent French and German
Gruss von Krampus!! 👹

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 194 times

Post by The Rube » Sat Mar 21 1:09 pm

1. Was on track to become a CPA, but halfway through college, I realized I would absolutely hate that job, and found that I love blue-collar work.
2. Finished top 50 in a 10K-person online poker tournament. The winner got to sit with 5 poker pros in Vegas, which was aired live on TV (as in EVERY HAND was live; IIRC, was on FSN).
3. I love all animals, except small dogs (like Kelly Red). The 2 exceptions are Corgis and Swedish Vellhunds (which look like wolf-corgis).
4. Won the regional Spelling Bee 3 times straight.
5. Played Fantasy Football for 25 years, starting in 1991 (yeah, that was some old school stuff, pre-internet).
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Aldy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Aldy » Sat Mar 21 2:03 pm

1. 1979 U of M grad with a degree in math (good time to be a gopher hockey fan). 40 year career as an actuary.
2. Currently have season tickets to the Vikings, Gopher Football, and Gopher Hockey. Had season tickets to the North Stars before they left town.
3. My father designed the Vikings helmet and he and my grandfather supplied the Vikings with all of their equipment for the first 10 years. The family loaned many items to the Vikings Museum and have a display regarding our involvement with the Vikings.
4. Decent racquetball player and have won several state and local tournaments.
5. 3rd Great Grandparents (6th generation) immigrated from Ireland, England and Germany in the 1850's. My Great-Great-Grandfather on my dad's side fought in the Civil War as a sharpshooter with the Company A, United State Sharpshooters and was under fire 305 days throughout the war, including the Battle of Gettysburg.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 686 times
Been liked: 518 times

Post by Greyeagle » Sat Mar 21 2:25 pm

1) My first attempt at college at UMD was far less than stellar....but I had a lot of fun. Went back to college when in my mid 20s and was working full time and had a family
2) I started at 3M 30 years ago in June and my first 9 years at 3M I was a custodian. Tuition reimbursement was fantastic and is how I paid for my BS and MA degrees. Since I worked nights we never needed to use daycare - Tag-Team parenting!
3) I once had dinner with The Skipper from Gilligan's Island. Alan Hale, Jrs. and my great uncle (by marriage) were childhood friends
4) My grandpa played football for MN in '45 and '46 while he was in school on the GI bill. He tried out on a dare from a friend and ended up making the team at age 26 and I guess played quite a bit. He hurt his knee in '46 and decided since he was in his mid 20s with a family it was time to move on
5) When we lived in MD we went to some restaurant not too far from Fredrick area. I was wearing my Vikings jacket. The woman who was our server said Vikings, I am a Vikings fan, too! Very strange in Colts country so when my dad asked why she said it's because her nephew (if I recall correctly) played for the Vikings. Two weeks later I got Chuck Foreman autographed picture in the mail!
6) I have dual citizenship since I was able to "reclaim" Luxembourg citizenship in 2018 through my maternal grandmother's family (and the hard work @YoungEagle did to gather the documents).
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by davescharf » Sat Mar 21 2:27 pm

Zwak - fantastic idea for a thread

1. I was born in Athens, Greece while my Dad was stationed there. My birth certificate is in Greek because I was born in an off-base hospital.
2. I started Kindergarten and graduated from High School in the same school district. The uncommon part of this was that in between I was at 5 different school districts & 6 different schools in 3 different countries.
3. I was living in Berlin about a mile from the Berlin Wall on November 9th 1989 when it "fell". My school Yearbook has a picture of the Brandenburg Gate @ Sunrise with the Wall in front of it. Little did we know that by the time we got our Yearbooks that the Gate would be Wall-free and opened to traffic
4. I'm an avid Bridge player and play competitive Duplicate Bridge. On two occasions I've been part of a team that's qualified for the Summer National Championships. Sadly I'm always by far one of the youngest people playing.
5. I am a 4th generation military Veteran. My Great-Grand Father was in the Army, Grandfather in the Navy, and Father & I in the Air Force. I was the only Commissioned Officer. The funny thing is that I always feel a bit uncomfortable when someone thanks me for my Service or calls me 'Sir' even though I'm extremely proud to have worn "the Uniform" and served our country.
6. (No rule about 5 right? :) ) I've traveled to 25 different countries (27 if you want to count ones where I never left the airport) but I've never been to Mexico.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Sat Mar 21 2:58 pm

I agree, great idea for a thread, but I am finding out quickly I am not that interesting!

1. Grew up in East Grand Forks, we lived on 1st ST NW (directly across the river from where Maris lived). Anyway, my Dad was born in 915 1st ST, before he married my Mom, he bought 813. When I was almost a year, they bought 707 (a house my Grandpa built). My Uncle bought 813 from my Dad. My Grandma bought 805 and sometime around 1994 bought 821. So yeah, we all lived on the same side of the same street for our whole lives. Now they are campsites after the ‘97 flood.
2. Prior to the ‘97 flood (my senior year) I was selected into the ROTC program at UofM, but my parents moved to Bemidji after the flood and I was scared I would never see my friends again (home for holidays would be Bemidji) so I enrolled into UND *shudder*.
3. Moved to Madison the next school year and spent almost 3 years there before moving back to Bemidji.
4. Started working at Home Depot that was opening in Bemidji until I could figure something else out. 19 years later, 6 houses and 4 promotions later, I am still there.
5. I am the Mayor of my small town of 385 residents.
6. We are very fortunate to own a cabin on the same side of the same lake that my family had previously owned a cabin since 1953 that was sold after the ‘97 flood.
7. I am currently using my Parental Leave and this Coronavirus time at home to build cabinets for the kitchen remodel we are going to do next fall.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 167 times
Been liked: 238 times

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Mar 21 3:00 pm

1. Grew up on a dairy farm and showed award winning Guernsey cattle at the Mn State Fair
2. Went to school for Sales, Marketing and Management
3. Managed 2 now defunct stores-- Kay Bee Toys and Blockbuster Video
4. Fell in love with hockey during the 1980 Miracle on Ice
5. Took over the family farm 10 years ago after being off the farm for 25 years (thankfully minus the cows)
6. Played fast pitch softball with a future Mn Viking quarterback when I was in high school.

Butters Stotch
Rookie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Butters Stotch » Sat Mar 21 3:54 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Sat Mar 21 3:00 pm
1. Grew up on a dairy farm and showed award winning Guernsey cattle at the Mn State Fair
2. Went to school for Sales, Marketing and Management
3. Managed 2 now defunct stores-- Kay Bee Toys and Blockbuster Video
4. Fell in love with hockey during the 1980 Miracle on Ice
5. Took over the family farm 10 years ago after being off the farm for 25 years (thankfully minus the cows)
6. Played fast pitch softball with a future Mn Viking quarterback when I was in high school.
Todd Bouman?

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 283 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Mar 21 4:22 pm

Yeah, my life is very uninteresting compared to you folk, but here goes.

1. I am a veterinarian and have an extremely rewarding career.

2. I played on the club rugby team for the University of Minnesota.
Side note - despite the fact rugby parties are epic, I can thank the U of M marching band for my drinking abilities. 😆

3. I have dreamed of going to Australia ever since I saw the Man from Snowy River movies. I fear by the time I can save up enough to go however it will be burnt to a crisp.

4. I had an acoustic neuroma (tumor of the 8th cranial nerve which is for hearing and balance) removed in 2006. Thanks to my wonderful doctors at the Mayo I still have damn near perfect hearing. Balance not so much.

5. I still hold the record in my family for the largest trophy buck and I don’t hunt. 10 pointer I hit with my Buick skyhawk in 1993. The rack still hangs on my wall.

6. I was the lucky winner of one of the Wooger jerseys. Just got it this week, it is a gorgeous jersey!

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 261 times

Post by D2D » Sat Mar 21 4:23 pm

1. Grew up playing hockey outdoors in Duluth; scored game winning goal in Catholic State Championship game vs. Hill.
2. Broke cheekbone in college game vs. Princeton - should have kept my head up! :anger:
3. GMH season ticket holder for 47 consecutive years :shock: , GWH for last 7. :M: :M2: :M:
4. Golf in two senior men's leagues and a couples league, with wife of 48 years. Senior League Club Champion...once.
5. Retired in 2010 as a SVP for a global insurance brokerage firm - still get together with old co-workers.
6. And saved the best for last: Became a grandfather for the first time in December!

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Sat Mar 21 4:32 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Mar 21 4:22 pm
Yeah, my life is very uninteresting compared to you folk, but here goes.

1. I am a veterinarian and have an extremely rewarding career.

2. I played on the club rugby team for the University of Minnesota.
Side note - despite the fact rugby parties are epic, I can thank the U of M marching band for my drinking abilities. 😆

3. I have dreamed of going to Australia ever since I saw the Man from Snowy River movies. I fear by the time I can save up enough to go however it will be burnt to a crisp.

4. I had an acoustic neuroma (tumor of the 8th cranial nerve which is for hearing and balance) removed in 2006. Thanks to my wonderful doctors at the Mayo I still have damn near perfect hearing. Balance not so much.

5. I still hold the record in my family for the largest trophy buck and I don’t hunt. 10 pointer I hit with my Buick skyhawk in 1993. The rack still hangs on my wall.

6. I was the lucky winner of one of the Wooger jerseys. Just got it this week, it is a gorgeous jersey!
Cowgirl, are you a big animal or little animal vet? I wanted to be a vet when I was young, farm animals. I loved working with my grandparents animals and took great pride in being told I had “gentle hands”. On the other hand my husband was appalled when he learned I could castrate baby piglets, dock ears and tails, and give a shot in practically one swift motion. I think he’s still a little afraid :shock:
Gruss von Krampus!! 👹

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Mar 21 4:33 pm

How in the f* is Cowgirl big enough to play rugby????? I feel like that is like asking me to play left tackle or something.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Sat Mar 21 4:40 pm

D2D wrote:
Sat Mar 21 4:23 pm
1. Grew up playing hockey outdoors in Duluth; scored game winning goal in Catholic State Championship game vs. Hill.
2. Broke cheekbone in college game vs. Princeton - should have kept my head up! :anger:
Ok - You need to expand on these two. What years? Assume you played for Cathedral in HS? How about college?
My interest is piqued if you're willing to give more detail.

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by davescharf » Sat Mar 21 4:41 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sat Mar 21 4:33 pm
How in the f* is Cowgirl big enough to play rugby????? I feel like that is like asking me to play left tackle or something.
Kind of like poker you don’t underestimate the women
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Mar 21 4:51 pm

davescharf wrote:
Sat Mar 21 4:41 pm
The Rube wrote:
Kind of like poker you don’t underestimate the women
She could take me, but I'm also a twig. :lol:
Some of those women rugby players have thighs as thick as Cowgirl's waist!

TheRube33 on UnTappd

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 261 times

Post by D2D » Sat Mar 21 4:54 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Sat Mar 21 4:40 pm
D2D wrote:
Sat Mar 21 4:23 pm
Ok - You need to expand on these two. What years? Assume you played for Cathedral in HS? How about college?
My interest is piqued if you're willing to give more detail.
PM sent.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Mar 21 5:16 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Sat Mar 21 4:32 pm
Cowgirl, are you a big animal or little animal vet? I wanted to be a vet when I was young, farm animals. I loved working with my grandparents animals and took great pride in being told I had “gentle hands”. On the other hand my husband was appalled when he learned I could castrate baby piglets, dock ears and tails, and give a shot in practically one swift motion. I think he’s still a little afraid :shock:
I trained to do both large and small but ended up at a small animal clinic for my first job which was fortunate as it was only a couple years out of school I had my surgery and wouldn't have been able to do large animal practice anyways with my health issues at the time.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Mar 21 5:17 pm

The Rube wrote:
I’m sure I have a few pounds on you; and back in undergrad several more. :lol:

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Norm » Sat Mar 21 5:49 pm

1. I grew up on a farm in SW MN.
2. My parents were both WWII veterans. Dad was in the South Pacific and Mom was an Army Nurse in a mobile field hospital in France and Belgium. One of my biggest regrets in life is not talking to them more about their experiences. I always got the feeling they would rather leave it in the past.
3. I went to the U in the 70's and fell in love with the Gophers and coach Brooks. Got a BS in Agriculture.
4. I was at Boston Garden in 1974 and saw the Gophers win their 1st natty.
5. Moved back and took over the family farm and have been here ever since.
6. I believe I'm the second oldest person on this forum.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Mar 21 6:15 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Mar 21 5:17 pm
The Rube wrote:
Weigh in for charity! Who weighs more? Place your bets! :lol: :lol:
I'll save you the time. I weigh 155-160. :D

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Mar 21 6:29 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sat Mar 21 6:15 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
The Rube wrote:
Where the heck do you hide that?! I weighed at least that much in my rugby years. Thankfully I’ve since lost those extra lbs. Although with this coronavirus lifestyle and not being able to go to the gym or play hockey a few are trying to find their way back. 😬

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Mar 21 6:39 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Mar 21 6:29 pm
The Rube wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
The Rube wrote:
Where the heck do you hide that?! I weighed at least that much in my rugby years. Thankfully I’ve since lost those extra lbs. Although with this coronavirus lifestyle and not being able to go to the gym or play hockey a few are trying to find their way back. 😬
I'm a little taller than you, too. That is a factor. I probably SHOULD be around 180 or so.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Sat Mar 21 7:06 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
The Rube wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
The Rube wrote:
Besides just plain not wanting to get sick, not being able to do my usual routine is very upsetting. I do aqua-cardio 2-3 times a week, Pilates 1-2, all at the Y. Now closed I’m forced to improvise, walking just doesn’t cut it for me. I am not thin but work hard just to stay even, this virus isn’t helping :censored: I may have to dig out some resistance bands and find a YouTube video for extra motivation.

On the plus side...no eating out! :biggrin2:
Gruss von Krampus!! 👹

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 313 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Mar 21 9:23 pm

1. My h.s. 4x400 team won state my senior year. Our sprint medley relay team had the 3rd best time in the entire country that year, but a dropped baton in the section finals...
2. My grandparents or great grandparents migrated from respectively Russia, Germany, Denmark and Norway
3. I was accepted into and had planned to enroll at Notre Dame. Long story otherwise led me to Minnesota before finishing at Mankato
4. I played at least one year of official team sports in hockey, baseball, basketball, football, soccer, track, rugby and tennis
5. I was at the very first MTV Spring Break in Daytona in 1985 and hung out in a small bar with all members of the Beastie Boys
6. I had lunch with then Emir of Bahrain at his beach palace in 1996
Currently under construction.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by streakygopher » Sat Mar 21 11:25 pm

Norm wrote:
Sat Mar 21 5:49 pm
2. My parents were both WWII veterans. Dad was in the South Pacific and Mom was an Army Nurse in a mobile field hospital in France and Belgium. One of my biggest regrets in life is not talking to them more about their experiences. I always got the feeling they would rather leave it in the past.
3. I went to the U in the 70's and fell in love with the Gophers and coach Brooks. Got a BS in Agriculture.
Where you from? My parents are from Pipestone and luverne

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Sun Mar 22 9:40 am

streakygopher wrote:
Sat Mar 21 11:25 pm
Norm wrote:
Sat Mar 21 5:49 pm
100 miles NE of there.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 167 times
Been liked: 238 times

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Mar 22 9:52 am

streakygopher wrote:
Sat Mar 21 11:25 pm

I graduated from Pipestone and I farm 10 miles north of there on the family farm.
Last edited by frozen4champs on Mon Mar 23 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by george » Sun Mar 22 10:00 am

Kelly Red wrote:
Sat Mar 21 7:06 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
The Rube wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
The Rube wrote:
Besides just plain not wanting to get sick, not being able to do my usual routine is very upsetting. I do aqua-cardio 2-3 times a week, Pilates 1-2, all at the Y. Now closed I’m forced to improvise, walking just doesn’t cut it for me. I am not thin but work hard just to stay even, this virus isn’t helping :censored: I may have to dig out some resistance bands and find a YouTube video for extra motivation.

But how do the feet look? :wink:

I too am missing the closed Y, I've been swimming laps 3 times a week. With all my joint issues other cardio is hard for me.

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Sun Mar 22 10:16 am

1. Grew up in Edina, 20 years ago last week my wife, son and I moved back into the house my parents built in 1958 (we had added a second floor and done some remodel).
2. I was smart and a good employee, but a TERRIBLE student. If I couldn't crush tests I'd never have gotten through. My ACT scores got me into the Minnesota IT (now CSE). Again in college I was a bad student but had fun. Took me 10 years to get an ME but I did graduate in Dec 1980. Never got any scholarships or loans, paid my way all the time, always worked (drove a Zamboni at Braemar Arena in early 70's). Had student season Gophs Tix for much of the 70's, got to watch several of my high school classmates play for or aganst the Gophs.
3. First job took me to California and Pennsylvania worked on Nuke plants.
4. For a couple year I owned a windsurfing shop in Annapolis MD. I was better at teaching windsurfing than selling windsurfers.
5. For most of my career I worked on hospital design and those were my favorite projects. More challenging and rewarding than college or office buildings. I have had a bit of a professional relationship at times with Thomps from here.

MNNavy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by MNNavy » Sun Mar 22 10:20 am

Where to start....

1. I am the second of three boys, and grew up in lake country (about 20 miles north of Lake Mille Lacs). Even though we fought like cats and dogs growing up, my brothers and I are very close, and there is nothing that we wouldn't do for each other.
2. I attended the UofM on a Navy ROTC scholarship, and graduated in 1986 with a B.S. in Economics. During my four years on active duty, I lived in Newport, RI; Philadelphia, PA; Norfolk, VA; and San Diego, CA.
3. I have worked for the state of Minnesota, in various capacities, since 1993 (with one 14 month break in service). I started as an Unemployment Insurance Analyst, with what was then called the Department of Jobs & Training. I am currently the Database Administrator at Minneapolis College.
4. I met my wife fifteen years ago, and will celebrate six years of marriage in June. On the day I get married, I went from being a carefree bachelor to a husband, father, and grandfather in less than 30 minutes. My wife and I are now the proud grandparents of four grandchildren (3 girls and 1 boy).
5. My high school did not have a hockey team, so I had never really seen a hockey game until my sophomore year of college, when a guy who lived down the hall from me in the dorm, asked if I wanted to go to a game. I've been hooked on Gopher hockey ever since.
It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance. - Thomas Sowell

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by Karlsson » Sun Mar 22 10:28 am

1.) I had three extra teeth, so combined with the wisdom teeth I've had seven teeth removed. Childhood full of oral surgeries.

2.) I've never had chicken pox.

3.) Both my grandfathers were in the Pacific theater, but not in the typical way. One was a radio operator on a supply ship in the merchant marines, the other was a POW camp guard in the Philippines

4.) We don't know who my maternal grandfather's father was. He was raised by his aunt and uncle. He found out when he was entering the service for WW2 when he saw his birth certificate.

5.) I was named after a ancestor who moved to Australia from Scotland. It was thought at the time that they moved for the drier climate, much like people from around here will move to AZ. It was eventually found out that he was caught trying to steal some jewels, and he was given the choice of exile in Australia or a few years in prison. I was already 4 when this was discovered, so my parents decided to not change my name.

melmac
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by melmac » Sun Mar 22 7:34 pm

1 - I got to vote (midterm elections) on my 18th birthday. I was super excited to do my civic duty.

2 - My oldest daughter is named after two of my best friends; we were college roommates senior year. First name in memory of one (8 years gone yesterday), middle name in honor of the other.

3 - I now live in a town in SE Michigan that a former coworker, that I worked with in Minnesota, grew up in.

4 - I started watching Gopher hockey because, unbeknownst to me, a kid I grew up with at church was on the team.

5 - I’ve had GO4PUCK license plates in two states - Michigan and Ohio.
I was told there would be no math.

Someday I'll win...
Charter member of the GPL Convoy Crew

Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Sun Mar 22 8:22 pm

1. I am a blue belt in taekwondo hoping to be a black belt when I'm 50.

2. I have been sky diving.

3. I was captain of my HS baseball team and pitched in the state tournament in 1989.

4. My mom's family fled the potato famine in Ireland in 1849. The boat taking them to America sprang a leak in the middle of the Atlantic and began taking on water. A nearby ship rescued the passengers and crew. The boat sank 15 minutes later.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by g-manpuck » Mon Mar 23 10:09 am

1. I'm from Iowa...Iowa Falls, Iowa to be exact. Yes, there is a falls there...well it's a dam that Alliant Energy still runs the water turbines every once in a while yet. Only thing known from that town is Nick Collison formerly of the Oklahoma City Thunder and Bill Reilly of Iowa State Fair fame.

2. Moved to Mankato in 2006 for my wife to go to MSU. She graduated in Dec. 2008 right when the recession hit. We weathered through that and have remained here since with our daughter who goes to college in Winona and my son who is a freshman in high school.

3. I went to college for a couple years; Central College in Pella, Iowa. I was looking into secondary education in math or science. That was until I had a professor who really pushed me into hating the education world.

4. After college I started working with my dad who was a residential contractor. I learned how to build everything within a house; carpentry, electrical, and plumbing. That wealth of knowledge has saved my bacon in numerous jobs because I know how to do so much, but it also makes me really busy at times.

5. Being from Iowa I am a Hawkeye fan. I love Hawkeye football and wrestling, Gable knows God. I fell out of love of Hawkeye basketball after the dismissal of Dr. Tom. I fell in love with Gopher hockey in the year of Kessel. When I knew I was moving to the state of hockey I figured I better start watching it. Gopher hockey was what I found, and I love it!

6. I am a dog person, average size dogs only...no ankle biters. Growing up we had a corgi cross who was a rescue, had him for 16 years...never a better dog in universe. My current dog Layla is a Aussie Shepherd mix, she is a handful at times but is a awesome family companion.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by HockeyBum » Mon Mar 23 12:39 pm

After reading this thread, I can confirm that I'm the most boring person on the planet.

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Mon Mar 23 1:08 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Mon Mar 23 12:39 pm
After reading this thread, I can confirm that I'm the most boring person on the planet.
Prove it....

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by Jupiter » Mon Mar 23 1:11 pm

george wrote:
Mon Mar 23 1:08 pm
HockeyBum wrote:
Prove it....
He was the STAR goaltender for the Rubes Hockey team.

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Mon Mar 23 1:12 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Mon Mar 23 1:11 pm
george wrote:
Mon Mar 23 1:08 pm
HockeyBum wrote:
Prove it....
He was the STAR goaltender for the Rubes Hockey team.
I know, and that alone keeps him from being the most boring!

minnhkyruls
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 12 times

Post by minnhkyruls » Mon Mar 23 1:18 pm

Awesome idea!!

1. Born and raised in MN, Graduated from Osseo Sr High in '93. Never played hockey, but fell in love with it after going to my friends games for years.

2. I was so bad at school (math was the worst) I was enrolled in summer school, my entire family was shock when they mailed my diploma. A quote from my mother: "You better go to the recruiters offices RIGHT NOW, before they find their mistake". I still laugh at that.

3. I joined the Army as a mechanic, but changed my MOS (job) to Infantry on my first re-up and spent just over 23 years in service. I started playing hockey while stationed in Fairbanks, AK and met my wife while playing league hockey. While in AK I helped over 100 guys play hockey for the first time. Some from Mexico, TX, Puerto Rico and other non-traditional places. On two separate tours I spent a total of 10 years in AK. I was the unfortunate soul that had to teach ROTC at UW-Madison. I could successfully go the rest of my life never stepping foot in WI, much less Madison. As fate would have it, my wife's ENTIRE FAMILY moved to Madison 2 years ago (mother and two brothers).

4. Joining the Army I realized the importance of an education. I have since earned two bachelor's degrees (public admin and social work) and am currently working on my masters of social work at THE Ohio State University. My goal is to work with either homeless vets or as a clinical SW. Not sure if I want addictions or mental health.

5. I've been married for 13 years and have three kids, two still in the house and one I have the receipt for!

6. I've completed 7 Tough Mudders, my Spartan Race trifecta, and multiple warrior dash's, terrain race, and others

7. I drink whisky and whiskey!!!

8. I catch bass in the summer

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 275 times

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Mar 23 1:27 pm

minnhkyruls wrote:
Mon Mar 23 1:18 pm
Awesome idea!!

1. Born and raised in MN, Graduated from Osseo Sr High in '93. Never played hockey, but fell in love with it after going to my friends games for years.

2. I was so bad at school (math was the worst) I was enrolled in summer school, my entire family was shock when they mailed my diploma. A quote from my mother: "You better go to the recruiters offices RIGHT NOW, before they find their mistake". I still laugh at that.

3. I joined the Army as a mechanic, but changed my MOS (job) to Infantry on my first re-up and spent just over 23 years in service. I started playing hockey while stationed in Fairbanks, AK and met my wife while playing league hockey. While in AK I helped over 100 guys play hockey for the first time. Some from Mexico, TX, Puerto Rico and other non-traditional places. On two separate tours I spent a total of 10 years in AK. I was the unfortunate soul that had to teach ROTC at UW-Madison. I could successfully go the rest of my life never stepping foot in WI, much less Madison. As fate would have it, my wife's ENTIRE FAMILY moved to Madison 2 years ago (mother and two brothers).

4. Joining the Army I realized the importance of an education. I have since earned two bachelor's degrees (public admin and social work) and am currently working on my masters of social work at THE Ohio State University. My goal is to work with either homeless vets or as a clinical SW. Not sure if I want addictions or mental health.

5. I've been married for 13 years and have three kids, two still in the house and one I have the receipt for!

6. I've completed 7 Tough Mudders, my Spartan Race trifecta, and multiple warrior dash's, terrain race, and others

I have incredible respect for you earning multiple college degrees after squeaking by in high school.

You must have went to school with Jed Fiebelkorn?

minnhkyruls
Golden
Golden

Post by minnhkyruls » Mon Mar 23 1:29 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Mar 23 1:27 pm
minnhkyruls wrote:
Awesome idea!!

I have incredible respect for you earning multiple college degrees after squeaking by in high school.

You must have went to school with Jed Fiebelkorn?
He was a Sr when I was a Soph, Matt Stelja (sp?) was also at Osseo. He went to UM for a year and then Vermont I believe.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by Bladepuller » Mon Mar 23 1:31 pm

1) My user name"Bladepuller" comes from my favorite way of walleye fishing,trolling w/ a night crawler harness on Mille Lacs. My given name is Brian, but was and have been known to answer to B. We live in East Bethel
2) I'm a proud grandfather of 3.
Paige is a soph @ KU (Rock Chalk Jayhawk!) In the 6 year PharmD program who earned 8 varsity letters @ SC Tech HS & had a 4.55 GPA & captained 2 sports.
Sam is a Sr @ Tech. Played BB & was a capt, of the Tech Soccer team 2 Xs. HM All-State & has a GPA higher than his sister. He will start at the U next year in Inst of Tech.
Maren is from our youngest daughter. Some of the old timers from the POI days know of who I speak. She is 8 & in the 2nd grade in a STEM / Spanish immersion school in the Forest Lake district. Way to smart. She was reading chapter books before she was in school.
The 2 son in laws are from "Souptucky" & Ely.
3) I played FB in college. Started as a scout squad FB as a frosh & got the hell pounded out of me but I didn't quit. Moved to the OL(guard) over the winter and as a JR was moved to Quickside OT. I have friends from that era of my life that are way beyond precious. True brothers & some great HS & college FB coaches. E.V. knows of who I speak.
4) I have never had a "real job" as an adult. Coached OL for a year out of school but some how ended up at Billy Mitchell. Hated it! Quit because of being dead broke and took a gig as a union laborer that I parlayed into being a union carpenter foreman than led into being a job site supt. I'm now retired. Life is good.
5) Wahkon, SE side of Mille Lacs, is where I tore down a place my parents had built. My paternal great grand parents came from Nova Scotia and the 1st name on the abstract is his. The new place is year round & big enough to have us all there. If you walk into either bar / restaurant in town and ask for Brian you will get directions. It is a small town.
6) I think Mn Navy is older than me, I'm 68. George & I have know each other from the old POI days & while he went to a much different school than me (Edina vs Robbinsdale) we both graduated the same year. I had my 1st health issue right after Labor Day. Stents in my heart but no serious permanent damage. I'm doing interval cardio work now and back lifting iron. Big dietary changes too.
7) I have way too many motorcycles I have been told since you can only ride one at a time. Too bad, so sad.
Last edited by Bladepuller on Mon Mar 23 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

MNNavy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by MNNavy » Mon Mar 23 2:03 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Mon Mar 23 1:31 pm
6) I think Mn Navy is older than me, I'm 68.
Nope. You've got me by over a decade.
It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance. - Thomas Sowell

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Mon Mar 23 3:00 pm

And I don't turn 68 until October, old man!

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Mar 23 3:04 pm

minnhkyruls wrote:
That is awesome and my educational experience is similar. Standing over a terlet with a johnny mop is very motivating.
Best of luck on the educational journey.

minnhkyruls
Golden
Golden

Post by minnhkyruls » Mon Mar 23 3:11 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Mon Mar 23 3:04 pm
minnhkyruls wrote:
That is awesome and my educational experience is similar. Standing over a terlet with a johnny mop is very motivating.
Outside of math, I found that simply learning was a great motivator. I enjoy going to school, I especially found electives fun. I don't know how useful they are as far as a graduation requirement (seems like a money grab for schools), but I enjoyed the learning and found joy in things I didn't think I would like.

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Mar 23 3:19 pm

minnhkyruls wrote:
Mon Mar 23 3:11 pm
Greyeagle wrote:
Mon Mar 23 3:04 pm
minnhkyruls wrote:
Outside of math, I found that simply learning was a great motivator. I enjoy going to school, I especially found electives fun. I don't know how useful they are as far as a graduation requirement (seems like a money grab for schools), but I enjoyed the learning and found joy in things I didn't think I would like.
Agreed. I really enjoyed it once I found the motivation and maturity.

One of my classmates in my MA program at Hamline was also the director of admissions at the law school. She was really giving me the hard sell to go to law school at a party my wife threw for me when I graduated and when Mrs.GE heard she was basically reacted this way - :hahano:

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by Bladepuller » Mon Mar 23 3:20 pm

george wrote:
Mon Mar 23 3:00 pm
Yeah, yeah, yeah.
And that means?
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Mon Mar 23 4:04 pm

george wrote:
I turned 68 two months ago. Pretty sure USHANABI has us all beat.

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Mon Mar 23 4:26 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Mon Mar 23 3:20 pm
george wrote:
Yeah, yeah, yeah.
And that means?
It means you're older than me!

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Mar 23 5:59 pm

Props to you old farts that can type! My Dad (68 three weeks ago) just got a smart phone a couple years back and is on FB and most of his posts are cringe-worthy! :lol:
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Mon Mar 23 8:53 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Mon Mar 23 5:59 pm
Props to you old farts that can type! My Dad (68 three weeks ago) just got a smart phone a couple years back and is on FB and most of his posts are cringe-worthy! :lol:
My cousin at 80 joined a senior dating site and complained those older women didn't know how to make a profile or take a good selfie. :wink:

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Mar 23 9:17 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Mon Mar 23 5:59 pm
Typing was one of my senior classes in HS. Yes, it was part of the "Senior Slide." And that was when we still had typewriters. None of this chicken-pecking or however you want to classify it. :D

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by Bigbeer » Mon Mar 23 11:11 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Mar 21 9:23 pm
1. My h.s. 4x400 team won state my senior year. Our sprint medley relay team had the 3rd best time in the entire country that year, but a dropped baton in the section finals...
2. My grandparents or great grandparents migrated from respectively Russia, Germany, Denmark and Norway
3. I was accepted into and had planned to enroll at Notre Dame. Long story otherwise led me to Minnesota before finishing at Mankato
4. I played at least one year of official team sports in hockey, baseball, basketball, football, soccer, track, rugby and tennis
5. I was at the very first MTV Spring Break in Daytona in 1985 and hung out in a small bar with all members of the Beastie Boys
6. I had lunch with then Emir of Bahrain at his beach palace in 1996
I grew up in Florida and went to Daytona a couple times over the summer of ‘87 after graduating HS....those were the glory days brother. I saw things there I still remember vividly. Florida at that time wasn’t great for raising a child but man was it a rager everyday.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 250 times

Post by Beauner » Mon Mar 23 11:20 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
The Rube wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
The Rube wrote:

There are a TON of quick workout ideas on YouTube that you can do at home, varying in intensity. I watch them on a semi regular basis and throw them into the mix of my usual (P90X3) routine to add some more variation to it since I've gone through that program like 5 times now.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Mar 23 11:31 pm

Beauner wrote:
Mon Mar 23 11:20 pm
Kelly Red wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
The Rube wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
The Rube wrote:

There are a TON of quick workout ideas on YouTube that you can do at home, varying in intensity. I watch them on a semi regular basis and throw them into the mix of my usual (P90X3) routine to add some more variation to it since I've gone through that program like 5 times now.
Hey! We are being asked to lay on our asses watching Netflix to help save this country! I am doing my best to be a hero!
Last edited by MNGophers29 on Tue Mar 24 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Woog - 1990

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Mon Mar 23 11:41 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Mon Mar 23 11:31 pm
Beauner wrote:
Mon Mar 23 11:20 pm
Kelly Red wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
The Rube wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
The Rube wrote:

Hey! We are being asked to lay on our asses watching Netflix to help save this country! I am doing my bed to be a hero!
I am also couching to do what is needed.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Mar 23 11:44 pm

I mentioned this elsewhere:

I have the right to sit in my beanbag, naked, while eating Cheetos and watching bad movies. Now, my country is asking me to do that? Hell yeah!

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Tue Mar 24 12:07 am

The interesting take I saw today is that normally a crisis requires us to react and do something to help others. This one asks us to do nothing..yet...mostly just to support local and small businesses and keep your possible funk out of others space.

Our sacrifice will most likely be drawn out and painful for some but seems to be our collective “are you an asshole?” moment.

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Tue Mar 24 12:09 am

The Rube wrote:
Mon Mar 23 11:44 pm

I have the right to sit in my beanbag, naked, while eating Cheetos and watching bad movies. Now, my country is asking me to do that? Hell yeah!
I’m not sure you naked in a beanbag chair eating Cheetos is gonna be good for anyone, in particular the beanbag chair...

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Steve MN » Tue Mar 24 8:47 am

Bigbeer wrote:
Tue Mar 24 12:09 am
The Rube wrote:
Mon Mar 23 11:44 pm

I’m not sure you naked in a beanbag chair eating Cheetos is gonna be good for anyone, in particular the beanbag chair...
On the plus side, I now have a warning for the future that if I ever were to visit Chez Rube... avoid the beanbag chair at all costs.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Composer
Veteran
Been liked: 53 times

Post by Composer » Tue Mar 24 8:58 am

1) I was born in Cloquet
2) I went to the U for 5 years. I got married between my 4th and 5th. I was in the Marching Band (Trombone) and also played at 95% of the Men’s Hockey and Basketball games. (The athletic band played a few women’s BB games, but not much for women’s sports) I graduated with degrees in Physics and EE.
3) I have worked in semiconductor manufacturing my whole life.
4) I’ve golfed since I was 10. I got a hole-in-one when I was 16. I got my second hole-in-on a few years ago in my golf league on a 276 yard Par4.
5) Despite being the slowest boy in my grade school class, I took up running at age 27. I’ve run 5 TC Marathons, 3:30:59 PR.
6) In my later 30’s, I discovered Speedgolf. I started having a yearly tournament—last year was the 20th. It is the oldest Speedgolf tournament in the world. I also am the head of Speedgolf Minnesota. (That isn’t as impressive as I make it sound…)
7) My Composer name comes from a hobby. Years ago, my wife read about a musician/Composer named Alfred Burt. In 1942 he began writing a Christmas Carol every year. A few that most people might know are "Some Children See Him", "Caroling, Caroling" and "The Star Carol". So instead of writing the brag-letter at Christmas, I started writing a Christmas Carol each year (16 so far) to send in our Christmas cards. I also made recordings on You-Tube so people could hear them. When my first Grandchild came, I wrote a lullaby for her, and did the same for my subsequent grandchildren. That’s one of the best things I’ve ever done. My 3rd grade grandson still insists on have his song sung to him at bedtime. I also wrote another special song that has given me lots of brownie points…
8) One of my nephews was a Gopher Hockey player a number of years ago. I tried to stay out of conversations here surrounding him. After having been such a big Gopher hockey fan in college, it was a lot of fun to peek around the curtain a bit. We went to every home game, and traveled to a lot of games during that time. It was a lot of fun.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Mar 24 9:27 am

Can you share what the brownie points song is?

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Dances With Gophers » Tue Mar 24 10:16 am

Fun idea for a thread!

1) Born/raised in St. Cloud, MN...but was never a SCSU fan, even when Herb came up to coach. Fond memories of playing knee hockey in the hallway with my kid brother. I grew up idolizing Robb Stauber. The memory of the Harvard game still hurts all these years later... :chainsaw:

2) First at-bat in HS, a beanpole-thin freshman DWG inexplicably hit a frigging inside-the-park-grand slam HR. I finished second at State Track meet (800M) and completed an Ironman Triathlon...but *no* sport memory will ever top that glorious spring day in 1988.

3) Spent 10 years in the USCG, including a 4-year stint @ Miami, FL. I was 25yo, single, living by the beach, playing golf every other day, and my then-girlfriend worked at Hooters. It was rough, but I made it.

4) I've spent at least one night in every US state...except Alaska, which I'm sure is probably the most beautiful one.

5) My wife cooks rice much, much better than I do. Which is embarrassing, because my mother is Filipina so that skill should be in my blood (halfies represent!)

6) I've lived in Boston, Miami, San Diego, WfV, an air base in Afghanistan, Colorado, and now Germany. I think we'll one day return to live/settle down in MN, but not sure exactly when that will be. The longer we stay here, the harder it's becoming to pull the plug - it's pretty nice living out here, not gonna lie. :drunk:

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 33 times

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Tue Mar 24 10:23 am

I already know I am quite boring. But in efforts to keep up with others in my boringness, I will offer my fast facts...

1. I grew up in Northeast Minneapolis and moved to St. Anthony Village, the "Polish Edina", when I was 5. Went to public school there, three miles from the U, and graduated with a class of 80 students. My family has had Gopher hockey season tickets since 1985.

1b. I went to state as a senior in speech; technically, I was an alternate after the section meet, but the guy above me was caught with marijuana after the section meet and I got to go instead.

2. I was a three sport athlete in HS but not good at any of them. My best sport was basketball, and got to play with a D-1 player and in a conference with other D-1 players. Grew up playing against Khalid El-Amin, whose Jordan Park team practiced at the same place we did in NE Minneapolis. They were really good when young too.

3. Got a hole-in-one when I was 14 on the 81 yard hole at Brightwood Hills. Shanked the ball off the tee, it hit a rock and rolled into the cup. Haven't been anywhere close since.

4. Went to St. John's for undergrad, where my dad went and my grandmother had worked. Both my brothers went there also.

5. Spent a semester studying abroad in China. My Mandarin is not good to this day. Loved it and would go back in a heartbeat though.

6. I was a math major in college, was the editor of the student paper, and went directly to Law School at the U of M. My senior college thesis was on War, the card game.

7. I currently am an assistant coach to HS varsity sports at New Prague HS (football, hockey) and St. Anthony Village (baseball). I also chair the Twin Cities District for MSHSL football.

8. In addition to my legal practice in New Prague, I am currently an adjunct professor at St. Cloud State teaching sports law concepts in the recreation department, and at Southwest Minnesota State teaching coaching technology. I have previously taught at the U of MN Law School as well.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Tue Mar 24 10:24 am

1. I was born with Popliteal Pterrygium Syndrome (not impacted by all the associated maladies but a lot) which caused 18 surgeries before i turned 16.

2. At one point I had an oral surgery to remove a bunch of extra teeth - it required a power drill to break some down to be able to remove them without breaking others. I'm pretty sure my mom still has that bag of teeth somewhere 🤣 I went to baseball practice the same night and my mom flipped out at me (and my dad for allowing it).

3. My brother is employed by a reputable MLB team as a pitching coordinator, and turned down a Steinbrenner because he didn't wanna be a Yankee 😁 He was cut by his HS baseball coach his senior year. Walked on at a D3 school, then transferred to a D2 national power an set a couple school records before pitching professionally for a season. Now he makes a living doing something he was told he wasn't good enouh to do. For parents reading this: a lot of high school coaches, regardless of sport, are wrong. If your son or daughter is good, there are ways to get around a stupid HS coach.

4. I'm allergic to dogs and cats but have never lived in a house without at least one dog or one cat. Growing up we had 2 cats and 2 or 3dogs at all times. I can't imagine living in a house without a dog at this point. My dog is a pittie mix that I got from a rescue and she's definitely the coolest part about me.

5. I started working as a sales rep for a baseball/softball equipment and jersey company as a side gig a couple years ago and have had a lot of fun with it. If you're ever looking for a new baseball or fastpitch bat or glove, send me a PM. I can usually beat any price from big box stores ;)

6. I've been practicing this social distancing/isolation for years. I'm pretty much a pro.

7. I've never traveled outside the US and do not own a passport.

Composer
Veteran

Post by Composer » Tue Mar 24 11:59 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Tue Mar 24 9:27 am
Can you share what the brownie points song is?
It was a romantic song to my wife. I had to wake up in the middle of the night to work on it so she didn't suspect anything. I presented it to her in Casper, WY on our 35th anniversary, after watching the eclipse (yes, it fell on our anniversary). Here's the ending:
Song.png

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Mar 24 12:20 pm

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Tue Mar 24 10:23 am
1b. I went to state as a senior in speech; technically, I was an alternate after the section meet, but the guy above me was caught with marijuana after the section meet and I got to go instead.
Come on - you planted it!! :wink:
Dances With Gophers wrote:
Tue Mar 24 10:16 am
5) My wife cooks rice much, much better than I do. Which is embarrassing, because my mother is Filipina so that skill should be in my blood (halfies represent!)
Favorite foods? Pancit, sisig, lechon, adobo, chicken inasal, taba ng talangka...? I cannot get into balut. :puke:

Has she ever prepared for you a boodle fight?

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 33 times

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Tue Mar 24 2:22 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Mar 24 12:20 pm
SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Tue Mar 24 10:23 am
Come on - you planted it!! :wink:
Can't prove a thing!

And the statute of limitations has run :dup:

Thomps
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Thomps » Wed Mar 25 10:17 am

george wrote:
Sun Mar 22 10:16 am
1. Grew up in Edina, 20 years ago last week my wife, son and I moved back into the house my parents built in 1958 (we had added a second floor and done some remodel).
2. I was smart and a good employee, but a TERRIBLE student. If I couldn't crush tests I'd never have gotten through. My ACT scores got me into the Minnesota IT (now CSE). Again in college I was a bad student but had fun. Took me 10 years to get an ME but I did graduate in Dec 1980. Never got any scholarships or loans, paid my way all the time, always worked (drove a Zamboni at Braemar Arena in early 70's). Had student season Gophs Tix for much of the 70's, got to watch several of my high school classmates play for or aganst the Gophs.
3. First job took me to California and Pennsylvania worked on Nuke plants.
4. For a couple year I owned a windsurfing shop in Annapolis MD. I was better at teaching windsurfing than selling windsurfers.
5. For most of my career I worked on hospital design and those were my favorite projects. More challenging and rewarding than college or office buildings. I have had a bit of a professional relationship at times with Thomps from here.
1) George has been lucky enough to work with me in a field that was heavily a part of for 7 years. :mrgreen:
2) U of M grad. Mechanical Engineering class of 2000. Set the curve on one exam, to the point where my score was thrown out. Also set the bottom of the curve at least once.
3) Never liked hockey until watching the Mariucci Classic vs Ohio State in 1996 where MN dominated. Now, I work on the Gophers stats crew, and it definitely is work. Working stats really takes the joy out of watching hockey as a fan, but it has its privileges.
4) Sports played growing up: Football, Baseball, Basketball, Wrestling (had a record or two in high school and was mildly successful, with opportunities to do it in college, but stopped because was burnt out). Jumped over to Rugby in college for 2 years. Still play softball now.
5) In 2006, I could say I had been to every major league ballpark. But Philly, NYY, NYM, MIA, and STL built new ones since.
6) I’ve traveled to 49 states (WV left), and 47 countries. Since traveling to London and Paris in high school, traveling has been a passion, and my wife and I have made it a priority for our family to continue this with our two sons (9 and 7). Both kids had passports when they were less than a year old.
7) I used to collect bobble heads, but have now moved on to official game pucks and game used baseballs from all the different leagues.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by Jupiter » Wed Mar 25 10:48 am

Beauner wrote:
Tue Mar 24 10:24 am
1. I was born with Popliteal Pterrygium Syndrome (not impacted by all the associated maladies but a lot) which caused 18 surgeries before i turned 16.

2. At one point I had an oral surgery to remove a bunch of extra teeth - it required a power drill to break some down to be able to remove them without breaking others. I'm pretty sure my mom still has that bag of teeth somewhere 🤣 I went to baseball practice the same night and my mom flipped out at me (and my dad for allowing it).

3. My brother is employed by a reputable MLB team as a pitching coordinator, and turned down a Steinbrenner because he didn't wanna be a Yankee 😁 He was cut by his HS baseball coach his senior year. Walked on at a D3 school, then transferred to a D2 national power an set a couple school records before pitching professionally for a season. Now he makes a living doing something he was told he wasn't good enouh to do. For parents reading this: a lot of high school coaches, regardless of sport, are wrong. If your son or daughter is good, there are ways to get around a stupid HS coach.

4. I'm allergic to dogs and cats but have never lived in a house without at least one dog or one cat. Growing up we had 2 cats and 2 or 3dogs at all times. I can't imagine living in a house without a dog at this point. My dog is a pittie mix that I got from a rescue and she's definitely the coolest part about me.

5. I started working as a sales rep for a baseball/softball equipment and jersey company as a side gig a couple years ago and have had a lot of fun with it. If you're ever looking for a new baseball or fastpitch bat or glove, send me a PM. I can usually beat any price from big box stores ;)

6. I've been practicing this social distancing/isolation for years. I'm pretty much a pro.

8. Had a run in with Jup years ago when he seived me at a high school hockey game when my phone fell underneath the stands.

:dope:

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Wed Mar 25 3:36 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Wed Mar 25 10:48 am
Beauner wrote:
Tue Mar 24 10:24 am

8. Had a run in with Jup years ago when he seived me at a high school hockey game when my phone fell underneath the stands.

:dope:
Before I even knew what Jup looked like or who he was.

I had to move the whole damn stands to get my arm on there to get my phone back.🤣

Composer
Veteran

Post by Composer » Wed Mar 25 4:17 pm

Composer wrote:
Tue Mar 24 8:58 am
1) I was born in Cloquet
2) I went to the U for 5 years. I got married between my 4th and 5th. I was in the Marching Band (Trombone) and also played at 95% of the Men’s Hockey and Basketball games. (The athletic band played a few women’s BB games, but not much for women’s sports) I graduated with degrees in Physics and EE.
4) I’ve golfed since I was 10. I got a hole-in-one when I was 16. I got my second hole-in-on a few years ago in my golf league on a 276 yard Par4.
5) Despite being the slowest boy in my grade school class, I took up running at age 27. I’ve run 5 TC Marathons, 3:30:59 PR.
6) In my later 30’s, I discovered Speedgolf. I started having a yearly tournament—last year was the 20th. It is the oldest Speedgolf tournament in the world. I also am the head of Speedgolf Minnesota. (That isn’t as impressive as I make it sound…)
7) My Composer name comes from a hobby. Years ago, my wife read about a musician/Composer named Alfred Burt. In 1942 he began writing a Christmas Carol every year. A few that most people might know are "Some Children See Him", "Caroling, Caroling" and "The Star Carol". So instead of writing the brag-letter at Christmas, I started writing a Christmas Carol each year (16 so far) to send in our Christmas cards. I also made recordings on You-Tube so people could hear them. When my first Grandchild came, I wrote a lullaby for her, and did the same for my subsequent grandchildren. That’s one of the best things I’ve ever done. My 3rd grade grandson still insists on have his song sung to him at bedtime. I also wrote another special song that has given me lots of brownie points…
8) One of my nephews was a Gopher Hockey player a number of years ago. I tried to stay out of conversations here surrounding him. After having been such a big Gopher hockey fan in college, it was a lot of fun to peek around the curtain a bit. We went to every home game, and traveled to a lot of games during that time. It was a lot of fun.
And someone just sent this to me. I had never seen this picture before. Here I am at the 1981 Frozen Four. I'm on the far left with my mouth wide open. Anyone know the guy in the suit with his bone in his hand?
1981 Frozen Four 2.jpg

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Mar 25 4:56 pm

Composer wrote:
Wed Mar 25 4:17 pm
Composer wrote:
Tue Mar 24 8:58 am
1) I was born in Cloquet
And someone just sent this to me. I had never seen this picture before. Here I am at the 1981 Frozen Four. I'm on the far left with my mouth wide open. Anyone know the guy in the suit with his bone in his hand?
1981 Frozen Four 2.jpg
Hey Rube can we get a ruling on this?