Coronavirus discussion

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
Composer
Veteran
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: Coronavirus discussion

Post by Composer » Tue Apr 14 2:07 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Tue Apr 14 12:51 pm
Armadillo wrote:
Tue Apr 14 12:44 pm
45 new cases today. An encouraging sign.
Regardless, the confirmed cases have been closer to linear than exponential. Stay and home orders help.
This is not true. For the last three weeks, the Minnesota daily increase has been running around 9% per day (has averaged 9% per day).
1.11, 1.1, 1.21, 1.15, 1.11, 1.14, 1.15, 1.09, 1.1, 1.08, 1.06, 1.1, 1.08, 1.05, 1.08, 1.08, 1.08, 1.08, 1.07, 1.14, 1.02, 1.03,
This is the definition of exponential growth. Think of it this way--Most of us would be happy for our investments to grow 9% per year--a classic example of exponential growth.

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 364 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by D2D » Tue Apr 14 3:17 pm

D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

JC65
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by JC65 » Tue Apr 14 3:35 pm

D2D wrote:
Tue Apr 14 3:17 pm
If you need a facemask or two:

https://ksvitmimay.com/product/mks-1895 ... -ds488888/
Yikes, $25 for one or $90 for ten basic cloth masks? Pennsylvania's Attorney General might be interested in that site.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 199 times

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Apr 14 3:55 pm

Composer wrote:
Tue Apr 14 2:07 pm
This is not true. For the last three weeks, the Minnesota daily increase has been running around 9% per day (has averaged 9% per day).
Of course you can say anything that is not linear is exponential. But for me the most standard version of exponential is 2 ^ x. In a free for all one person infects multiple, they infect multiple, etc.

If you graph y = x, y = 2^x, and the cumulative cases graph you can flattening of that curve happening which is all we're asking.
Loserville, USA
108 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 299 times

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Apr 14 4:29 pm

SF numbers continue to rise thanks to the Smithfield plant. The Governor won't issue a stay at home order, so the mayor is trying to get the city council to do so, which will take a few days as the spread continues.... I am shocked that it hasn't spread to across the border to the MN counties as SF is a major shopping hub. Hats off to us MN people for staying home.

JC65
Golden
Golden

Post by JC65 » Tue Apr 14 4:36 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Tue Apr 14 4:29 pm
SF numbers continue to rise thanks to the Smithfield plant. The Governor won't issue a stay at home order, so the mayor is trying to get the city council to do so, which will take a few days as the spread continues....
I wonder what it is about meat packing plants that make them second only to nursing homes in the rate of outbreaks. (I don't actually wonder, I just hope that after this someone actually makes the meat packing industry take worker safety seriously)

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/c ... t-facility
On Friday, she said at least 42 union members who work at JBS and eight non-union employees have tested positive for COVID-19. Of those, five were hospitalized. She said the union believes there “may be significantly more individuals at the plant who are carrying the virus but may either by asymptomatic, not tested, or afraid to come forward as they are not eligible for sick pay.”

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Apr 14 4:48 pm

JC65 wrote:
Tue Apr 14 4:36 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
SF numbers continue to rise thanks to the Smithfield plant. The Governor won't issue a stay at home order, so the mayor is trying to get the city council to do so, which will take a few days as the spread continues....
I wonder what it is about meat packing plants that make them second only to nursing homes in the rate of outbreaks. (I don't actually wonder, I just hope that after this someone actually makes the meat packing industry take worker safety seriously)

On Friday, she said at least 42 union members who work at JBS and eight non-union employees have tested positive for COVID-19. Of those, five were hospitalized. She said the union believes there “may be significantly more individuals at the plant who are carrying the virus but may either by asymptomatic, not tested, or afraid to come forward as they are not eligible for sick pay.”
The other part of it is they employ a higher rate of minorities at the meat packing plant in SF, and studies show they are getting the coronavirus at a higher rate.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 124 times

Post by Norm » Tue Apr 14 5:04 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
SF numbers continue to rise thanks to the Smithfield plant. The Governor won't issue a stay at home order, so the mayor is trying to get the city council to do so, which will take a few days as the spread continues.... I am shocked that it hasn't spread to across the border to the MN counties as SF is a major shopping hub. Hats off to us MN people for staying home.
It probably will spread to MN as there must be people that work at that plant but live in MN.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by The Rube » Tue Apr 14 5:05 pm

JC65 wrote:
frozen4champs wrote:

Density/closeness of the people in those buildings.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Tue Apr 14 8:05 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Just talked to my cousin in Worthington. She said Smithfield runs buses back and forth between there and Whioux Falls for their workers who live in Worthington. I imagine there will be a spike in Nobles Co. now.

Composer
Veteran

Post by Composer » Tue Apr 14 9:04 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Tue Apr 14 4:48 pm
JC65 wrote:
frozen4champs wrote:

The other part of it is they employ a higher rate of minorities at the meat packing plant in SF, and studies show they are getting the coronavirus at a higher rate.
I think you put the cart before the horse.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Apr 14 9:05 pm

Norm wrote:
Tue Apr 14 8:05 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Just talked to my cousin in Worthington. She said Smithfield runs buses back and forth between there and Whioux Falls for their workers who live in Worthington. I imagine there will be a spike in Nobles Co. now.
Worthington also has a meat plant, but they seem to be ok so far. But, I'm sure it will be a matter of time before the bused in employees will start spreading it. Too bad.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Apr 14 9:08 pm

Apparently, they are going to start temperature readings at the main building of my workplace. They are really starting to crack down, despite no known cases nor symptoms. As for my building, nothing yet.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by gopherguy13 » Wed Apr 15 7:18 am

I saw an interesting point of view this morning about healthcare workers. They are not "on the front lines" of this pandemic. They're the last line of defense. It's you and me, out in the world, who are on the front lines of this pandemic. And it's up to us to make sure we have to use that last line of defense as little as possible.

Thought it was a good point, and definitely made me think a bit.
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by Zwak » Wed Apr 15 8:16 am

One (of many) things I am curious about is the machinations that go on behind the scenes during and after the treatment of a patient with COVID. I'm assuming all of the patient data is shared with someone (MDH, CDC ?) who then tracks patient data, treatments, outcomes etc. I'm then assuming that the data is analyzed for trends as to what is working and what isn't and then disseminated
GPL's official source of trivia.

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden

Post by gopherguy13 » Wed Apr 15 8:29 am

Zwak wrote:
Wed Apr 15 8:16 am
One (of many) things I am curious about is the machinations that go on behind the scenes during and after the treatment of a patient with COVID. I'm assuming all of the patient data is shared with someone (MDH, CDC ?) who then tracks patient data, treatments, outcomes etc. I'm then assuming that the data is analyzed for trends as to what is working and what isn't and then disseminated
I have talked to my mom about this, she works on the reporting side at one of the hospital/clinic systems in MN, they received a letter from Pence (sent to all major healthcare practitioners around the country, I assume) detailing the info that the CDC wants from them. They send a daily report to the CDC (MDH is looped in on it too, I assume) including a whole bunch of things that the CDC wants tracked. Just pure numbers of cases that have come into their clinics/hospitals, deaths, but also things like transmission method (hospital-acquired COVID is apparently a big one they're watching for), ages, etc.

Some long hours being put in by the data/reporting people at these hospitals and clinics.

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Wed Apr 15 9:31 am

I saw an immunity/vaccine researcher on tv last nite. She said the immunity a recovered CV19 patient has is apt to be fairly short lived. We don't know that for sure, but that is the case with most other respiratory viruses.
Not the news we were hoping for.

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 364 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by D2D » Wed Apr 15 10:16 am

Norm wrote:
Wed Apr 15 9:31 am
I saw an immunity/vaccine researcher on tv last nite. She said the immunity a recovered CV19 patient has is apt to be fairly short lived. We don't know that for sure, but that is the case with most other respiratory viruses.
Not the news we were hoping for.
The key I suppose is how you define "fairly short lived"? If the immunity extends beyond the widespread availability of a vaccine that would obviously be huge.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by streakygopher » Wed Apr 15 10:29 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Tue Apr 14 3:55 pm
Composer wrote:
Tue Apr 14 2:07 pm
Of course you can say anything that is not linear is exponential. But for me the most standard version of exponential is 2 ^ x. In a free for all one person infects multiple, they infect multiple, etc.

If you graph y = x, y = 2^x, and the cumulative cases graph you can flattening of that curve happening which is all we're asking.
Yeah, that may have been clumsily explained. Stocks, for example are up and down daily and the "9% average return" is simply a linear regression of stock performance over a long period of many exponential ups and downs. If you're ready to retire right now and were counting on that 9%, good luck.

Similarly, any explanation of where we are at today in combating the virus would not include prior data points that work only to skew real time results. Why say we are "averaging" 9% each day when the most current data - the only data that matters - indicates the actual daily increase is declining?

JC65
Golden
Golden

Post by JC65 » Wed Apr 15 11:14 am

Iceland has tested something like 10% of their total population at random, and so far HALF of those who tested positive for COVID-19 showed no symptoms and had no idea they were sick.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/wor ... 959797001/

I really wish the portion fo the US population that thinks "I don't feel sick so I can go out like normal" would understand what that stat means.

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by Zwak » Wed Apr 15 12:57 pm

JC65 wrote:
Wed Apr 15 11:14 am
Iceland has tested something like 10% of their total population at random, and so far HALF of those who tested positive for COVID-19 showed no symptoms and had no idea they were sick.

I really wish the portion fo the US population that thinks "I don't feel sick so I can go out like normal" would understand what that stat means.
People have obviously never heard of Typhoid Mary. She was an asymptomatic carrier of Typhoid. Never got it herself but infected 51 others of which 3 died. She ended up dying of pneumonia after being in quarantine for 23 years. :shock:
GPL's official source of trivia.

JC65
Golden
Golden

Post by JC65 » Wed Apr 15 1:33 pm

Zwak wrote:
Wed Apr 15 12:57 pm
JC65 wrote:

People have obviously never heard of Typhoid Mary. She was an asymptomatic carrier of Typhoid. Never got it herself but infected 51 others of which 3 died. She ended up dying of pneumonia after being in quarantine for 23 years. :shock:
Didn't she get arrested and committed (some sort of involuntary confinement) for a while, released, and then found to be working as a cook and infecting more people again?

Not knowing you're a danger to other is one thing. Knowing it is another altogether.

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by Orion » Wed Apr 15 1:52 pm

JC65 wrote:
Wed Apr 15 1:33 pm
Zwak wrote:
JC65 wrote:

Didn't she get arrested and committed (some sort of involuntary confinement) for a while, released, and then found to be working as a cook and infecting more people again?

Not knowing you're a danger to other is one thing. Knowing it is another altogether.
You are correct. To be fair though I think the concept of an asymptomatic carrier was pretty far out there at that time. Not like today were we think the Earth is flat and this virus is a hoax.

Composer
Veteran

Post by Composer » Wed Apr 15 3:34 pm

Is it time to open up?
Walz put in his order on March 27th. There were 218 active cases then--people who could infect someone else. Today there are 869 active cases. We are bending the GROWTH curve, but there are still a lot more infectious people now than there were when we started. It makes no sense to open up while we have 4x the number of live cases. For the total United States, that number is 5x the cases.
https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases ... tml#cases1
You have to take the total cases minus the recovered cases (currently 1809-940)

Edit:
Sorry--I didn't include deaths. The numbers are 782/214=3.7x

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Wed Apr 15 3:50 pm

Dr Fauci says we could have sports with no fans. Players would be tested frequently.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/dr-anthony ... 47443.html

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by team22tank » Wed Apr 15 4:01 pm

Composer wrote:
Wed Apr 15 3:34 pm
Is it time to open up?
Walz put in his order on March 27th. There were 218 active cases then--people who could infect someone else. Today there are 869 active cases. We are bending the GROWTH curve, but there are still a lot more infectious people now than there were when we started. It makes no sense to open up while we have 4x the number of live cases. For the total United States, that number is 5x the cases.
https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases ... tml#cases1
You have to take the total cases minus the recovered cases (currently 1809-940)

Edit:
Sorry--I didn't include deaths. The numbers are 782/214=3.7x
Is that 218 just test results? Because obviously there were a lot more than 218 people then. Or is it test results and some sort of projection?

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 370 times

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Apr 15 5:32 pm

J&J expecting its vaccine candidate to be first in human for clinical trial expected to start in September. Either data availability in Dec and potential vaccine approval in early 2021.

J&J to begin manufacturing “at risk.”

https://apple.news/AYJfy81stS_ac72fpDj9kkw

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Wed Apr 15 7:05 pm

Here's why Covid-19 is hitting the US so hard. Too many fat people.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus- ... 31342.html

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 428 times

Post by Jupiter » Wed Apr 15 7:45 pm

Norm wrote:
Wed Apr 15 7:05 pm

I'm in trouble...

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Apr 15 7:56 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Wed Apr 15 7:45 pm
Norm wrote:
Wed Apr 15 7:05 pm

I'm in trouble...
Here too. There is a cost to this level of sexy.

JC65
Golden
Golden

Post by JC65 » Wed Apr 15 8:04 pm

644 cases now directly associated with the Smithfield plant in Whioux Falls

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/south-dako ... 020-04-15/
As of Wednesday, 644 people with connections to the plant were infected, including 518 employees.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Apr 15 8:15 pm

JC65 wrote:
Wed Apr 15 8:04 pm
644 cases now directly associated with the Smithfield plant in Whioux Falls

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/south-dako ... 020-04-15/
As of Wednesday, 644 people with connections to the plant were infected, including 518 employees.
So the governor won't order a shelter in place, and the city of SF has to pass a law for it to happen and it will take 2 weeks. That is 2 weeks too late. My wife still works in SF, but in a store that is closed to the public and has 7 workers still working.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 403 times
Been liked: 500 times

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Apr 15 8:53 pm

Zwak wrote:
JC65 wrote:

That was a great episode of drunk history. 😆

00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by 00xtremeninja » Wed Apr 15 9:17 pm

PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Apr 16 6:48 am

I can’t get a link to work for the article but the CNN app has a headline that states South Korea is reporting 140 recovered patients have retested positive for COVID-19.

If we can’t get immunity to last for a couple of months after recovering from this disease......we are hosed.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by george » Thu Apr 16 7:07 am

A possible answer about the small number of young, healthy patients who die. Basically their immune system overreacts and attacks their body.
https://spinstrangenesscharm.wordpress. ... -save-him/

One possible reason for the effectiveness of the chloquinine is that it's a suppressor of this autoimmune response.

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden

Post by gopherguy13 » Thu Apr 16 7:16 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Apr 16 6:48 am
I can’t get a link to work for the article but the CNN app has a headline that states South Korea is reporting 140 recovered patients have retested positive for COVID-19.

If we can’t get immunity to last for a couple of months after recovering from this disease......we are hosed.
Here's that blurb:

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/cor ... 94147d605f
A total of 141 people who had apparently recovered from Covid-19 have tested positive again, South Korea's Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said on Thursday.

KCDC deputy director Kwon Joon-wook said the agency did not know what caused the people to retest positive and was investigating.

Most experts think it's unlikely that somebody will be re-infected for the coronavirus soon after recovering. It's possible that issues with testing – or varying amounts of viral RNA in the body, which the tests look for – could explain why people tested positive after testing negative.

Kwon also said that the government is studying cultivated samples from the patients to determine whether the cases could be contagious. Kwon said the study will take about two weeks from today.

“Our KCDC workers are working day and night to collect samples and conduct studies,” Kwon said.
Definitely an eyebrow raiser, but it doesn't sound like a reason to panic yet, thankfully.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 322 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Steve MN » Thu Apr 16 8:09 am

gopherguy13 wrote:
Thu Apr 16 7:16 am
Bertogliat wrote:

Here's that blurb:

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/cor ... 94147d605f
A total of 141 people who had apparently recovered from Covid-19 have tested positive again, South Korea's Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said on Thursday.

KCDC deputy director Kwon Joon-wook said the agency did not know what caused the people to retest positive and was investigating.

Most experts think it's unlikely that somebody will be re-infected for the coronavirus soon after recovering. It's possible that issues with testing – or varying amounts of viral RNA in the body, which the tests look for – could explain why people tested positive after testing negative.

Kwon also said that the government is studying cultivated samples from the patients to determine whether the cases could be contagious. Kwon said the study will take about two weeks from today.

“Our KCDC workers are working day and night to collect samples and conduct studies,” Kwon said.
Definitely an eyebrow raiser, but it doesn't sound like a reason to panic yet, thankfully.
The false negative rate is something like 30%, so, it seems like it would make sense that it could be an issue with the testing, not getting re-infected so soon.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 408 times
Been liked: 420 times

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Apr 16 8:31 am

george wrote:
Thu Apr 16 7:07 am
A possible answer about the small number of young, healthy patients who die. Basically their immune system overreacts and attacks their body.

One possible reason for the effectiveness of the chloquinine is that it's a suppressor of this autoimmune response.
Hopefully, but both Sweden and France have been backing away from using it for various reasons.
Currently under construction.

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Thu Apr 16 9:22 am

Bertogliat wrote:

That's what I posted a half page ago. Immunity looks like it will be short lived. We're hosed till we get a vaccine.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 139 times

Post by Bladepuller » Thu Apr 16 9:31 am

If recovered patients can be reinfected why would'nt vaccinated people also be at risk?
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Apr 16 9:32 am

Norm wrote:
Thu Apr 16 9:22 am
Bertogliat wrote:

That's what I posted a half page ago. Immunity looks like it will be short lived. We're hosed till we get a vaccine.
The vaccine immunity wouldn't be any different than if you fight off COVID naturally. Hopefully these 140 people had some false positives or had remaining virus in their systems, because if the antibodies you make won't keep you from catching COVID even two months following illness or vaccine, we're doomed.

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Thu Apr 16 9:33 am

Norm wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:

Waaaay too little data to say that already. Also, corona viruses are notoriously mutable. Any vaccine is likely to be of limited use because a new strain will keep popping up.

JC65
Golden
Golden

Post by JC65 » Thu Apr 16 9:33 am

Norm wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:

Isn't a vaccine just induced immunity though? We might end up needing a vaccine every few months...

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Thu Apr 16 9:43 am

Nope. The immunity researcher on CNN said they can make a vaccine that is stronger than the immunity a recovered patient would have.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 139 times

Post by Bladepuller » Thu Apr 16 10:03 am

That is good news.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden

Post by gopherguy13 » Thu Apr 16 10:14 am

JC65 wrote:
Thu Apr 16 9:33 am
Norm wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:

Isn't a vaccine just induced immunity though? We might end up needing a vaccine every few months...
I mean, basically just like the flu then, right?

I think the idea would be to get the vaccine for this particularly nasty strain, and hope to hell that future mutated strains will not be as strong. Could just become a yearly thing like we do with the flu? Go in to get your flu shot, and your COVID shot every fall?

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Vegoe » Thu Apr 16 10:27 am

Maize wrote:
Fri Apr 10 7:33 pm
Norm wrote:
Fri Apr 10 7:17 pm

There's going to be an increase in divorces and a baby boom. Go figure.
As I saw someone else say: If there's a baby boom out of all of this, it's all going to be first children.
Well Don Lucia often said he had to get out of Alaska because he wasn't sure he wanted to have a fifth child.

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden

Post by gopherguy13 » Thu Apr 16 10:34 am

I've been following this guy for the graphs he puts out:

The graphs are starting to look somewhat encouraging. Hopefully the trend continues and starts going down.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Apr 16 10:46 am

It looks like Italy has had an inflection point, though.
Obviously I don't even look at China data because I trust it 0%.
Loserville, USA
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Thu Apr 16 11:35 am

USA as a total might be peaking, but here in the middle of the country the worst is probably still coming.

5 O.T.
Veteran
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by 5 O.T. » Thu Apr 16 11:45 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Apr 16 8:31 am
george wrote:

Hopefully, but both Sweden and France have been backing away from using it for various reasons.
Where have you seen that? Links?

JC65
Golden
Golden

Post by JC65 » Thu Apr 16 12:33 pm

5 O.T. wrote:
Thu Apr 16 11:45 am
Slap Shot wrote:
george wrote:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/15/health/n ... index.html
"This provides evidence that hydroxychloroquine does not apparently treat patients with Covid 19," said Dr. Paul Offit, an infectious disease specialist at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. "Even worse, there were side effects caused by the drug -- heart toxicities that required it be discontinued."

5 O.T.
Veteran
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by 5 O.T. » Thu Apr 16 12:50 pm

JC65 wrote:
Thu Apr 16 12:33 pm
5 O.T. wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
george wrote:

"This provides evidence that hydroxychloroquine does not apparently treat patients with Covid 19," said Dr. Paul Offit, an infectious disease specialist at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. "Even worse, there were side effects caused by the drug -- heart toxicities that required it be discontinued."
That study doesn't really support what slap shot said.

GopherPete
Veteran
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by GopherPete » Thu Apr 16 2:16 pm

JC65 wrote:
Thu Apr 16 12:33 pm
5 O.T. wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
george wrote:

Ironic to hear Offit talk about side effects

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Thu Apr 16 2:42 pm

Article says CV doesn't destroy only lungs, but heart, liver, kidneys...Sheesh!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/c ... story.html

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Apr 16 11:59 pm

When wisconsin hit our 1,912 total from today 13 days ago, they had only 37 deaths. We're at 94. That is a bigger difference than I would expect.
Loserville, USA

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Apr 17 7:12 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Thu Apr 16 11:59 pm
When wisconsin hit our 1,912 total from today 13 days ago, they had only 37 deaths. We're at 94. That is a bigger difference than I would expect.
Maybe they’re testing more people and therefore catching them earlier?

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Fri Apr 17 7:47 am

Bonin21 wrote:
How is it counted? Minnesota Dept. Of Health issued directive to docs to count as Covid19 death if any symptoms of the disease. Sconny might decide if they died FROM Covid vs WITH Covid.

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by Orion » Fri Apr 17 9:56 am

Bonin21 wrote:
I think their case numbers shot up fast than ours. There may be a lag in deaths that accounts for the difference. Since we where slower to get infected the death total had more time to happen in MN.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Apr 17 10:22 am

Sounds like remdesivir is a promising drug to fight COVID-19. Early results on 125 COVID-19 patients (with 113 being "severe") resulted on only 2 deaths with most patients discharged in less than 1 week. Hopefully the results form the larger study are just as promising.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gilead-rem ... -covid-19/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 150793002/

This appears to not be FDA approved for any indication, which is a huge hurdle for use in humans.

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Fri Apr 17 10:51 am

I don't know what they mean by "cluster" but Siouz Falls is now the biggest cluster in the country.

JC65
Golden
Golden

Post by JC65 » Fri Apr 17 11:05 am

Norm wrote:
Fri Apr 17 10:51 am
I don't know what they mean by "cluster" but Siouz Falls is now the biggest cluster in the country.
Here's some good info (and graphs with which to play!):
https://www.argusleader.com/story/news/ ... 015675002/

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Apr 17 11:11 am

Norm wrote:
Hopefully anyone close to SF is smart enough to not get close to the Cities...
Loserville, USA

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Apr 17 11:27 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Fri Apr 17 11:11 am
Norm wrote:
The spread to MN is ramping up
https://www.kstp.com/coronavirus/cases- ... 097/?cat=1
Loserville, USA

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Apr 17 11:39 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Fri Apr 17 11:27 am
Bonin21 wrote:
Norm wrote:
Why do they mention this? Does kstp think that immigration status is a factor?

"Worthington is home to the JBS pork processing plant, which employs more than 2,000 people, many of whom are immigrants. "

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Fri Apr 17 11:55 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Apr 17 11:39 am
Bonin21 wrote:
Fri Apr 17 11:27 am
Bonin21 wrote:
Norm wrote:
Why do they mention this? Does kstp think that immigration status is a factor?

"Worthington is home to the JBS pork processing plant, which employs more than 2,000 people, many of whom are immigrants. "
Agreed. If there's something actually important about them being immigrants (less access to health care would be the one that comes to mind, whether because they can't get it, or are reluctant due to worries about deportation or something) they needed to add that to the statement and explain why being immigrants matters, especially in a Covid-19 context.

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Apr 17 12:11 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Norm wrote:
I think for now you are safe from that. My concern is those who from around here go to SF to shop at Walmart etc. The town near me only has a couple of small grocery stores and a farm type supply store. The county I live in only has 1 "confirmed" case so far, but I can see that increasing. There is also a small meat processing plant in town that employees about a couple hundred people, and so far that has been clear.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Apr 17 12:11 pm

The context might be implicitly that they may be at a higher risk because of access to health care and other stuff that can be very difficult for someone trying to make a life in a new country.
Loserville, USA

Maize
Veteran
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Maize » Fri Apr 17 12:23 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Thu Apr 16 10:27 am

Well Don Lucia often said he had to get out of Alaska because he wasn't sure he wanted to have a fifth child.
One of my favorite Lucia quotes, about leaving Alaska: "My wife had a premonition we were going to win the league, because she was giving me the no. 1 finger all the way to Colorado."

JC65
Golden
Golden

Post by JC65 » Fri Apr 17 12:26 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Fri Apr 17 12:11 pm
The context might be implicitly that they may be at a higher risk because of access to health care and other stuff that can be very difficult for someone trying to make a life in a new country.
Access to health care (low paying job with poor benefits), living in close confines with others (Worthington's white population is probably much older on average and extended families probably don't live in the same house), possible language issues, the packing plant probably doesn't have a great sick-leave policy so they can't stay home for "a mild fever", possible fear of ICE raids if they try to get health care....

Yeah, there's a lot of context that kstp seemed to gloss over.

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by team22tank » Fri Apr 17 1:31 pm

Fore!

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Fri Apr 17 2:16 pm

JC65 wrote:
Fri Apr 17 12:26 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
Fri Apr 17 12:11 pm
Access to health care (low paying job with poor benefits), living in close confines with others (Worthington's white population is probably much older on average and extended families probably don't live in the same house), possible language issues, the packing plant probably doesn't have a great sick-leave policy so they can't stay home for "a mild fever", possible fear of ICE raids if they try to get health care....

Yeah, there's a lot of context that kstp seemed to gloss over.
Exactly. It may very well be that being immigrants is important, but if that's the case, a news organization needs to explain why, not just say that a bunch of people in the area are immigrants.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Apr 17 9:11 pm

We started temperature testing at work today. At my particular building, where it's me and one other co-worker*, we have to test each other (mgrs test at the main building). The tester has to have on a face shield, mask, and gloves when testing. My co-worker and I also have to administer tests to the truck drivers that pick up from our building.

*Found out from my boss, after my co-worker ended his shift today (he works 6am-2:30pm, I work a 9-5:30), that my co-worker is "gone until further notice; taking a leave of absence, nothing to do with the COVID." Now, he keeps a grocery bag of snacks in the break room, and even leaves that bag there when he has a week PTO. That bag was gone today. Guessing 2-3 weeks minimum he's gone. I still am a little floored right now at this development. I have zero clue as to his reasons (obviously it's really personal).

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Sat Apr 18 11:11 am

The IHME (Washington University) model is the same one the White House has been using to determine states needs. I’ve been checking it regularly. Originally it said our peak Hospital usage and death rate was supposed to hit next week. It kept slowly getting pushed out. Earlier this week, the model had our peak time being last few days of April/first few days of May. Today I check it and the model says today, April 18 is our peak and we should start seeing a slide. On one hand, that is good news. On the other, the model is so volatile with incomplete data that it’s hard to really trust it.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-s ... /minnesota