Coronavirus discussion

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
kmd
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Coronavirus discussion

Post by kmd » Thu Apr 09 3:49 pm

They would be waiting for FDA emergency authorization. FDA approval would take a much longer time.

Chris83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 81 times

Post by Chris83 » Thu Apr 09 3:55 pm

Watched a terrific 10 minute interview with Dr. Fauci on YouTube this morning. Please keep him bathed in a constant anti-viral/radioactive stasis field. If we ever lost him the whole ship would go down. He is an absolute rock in all this.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Thu Apr 09 5:57 pm

Covid 19 check from Emory University.

https://c19check.com/start

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Apr 09 7:23 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Thu Apr 09 3:31 pm
Evidently there is a 15 minute antibody finger prick blood test that was developed in Germany to detect Covid-19 antibodies. There is a company that has them ready to ship but is awaiting FDA approval.
This one?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnew ... cna1179541

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Thu Apr 09 7:49 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Apr 09 7:23 pm
Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Thu Apr 09 3:31 pm
Evidently there is a 15 minute antibody finger prick blood test that was developed in Germany to detect Covid-19 antibodies. There is a company that has them ready to ship but is awaiting FDA approval.
This one?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnew ... cna1179541
No that story is about the crap coming from China.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by george » Thu Apr 09 8:34 pm

Interesting news from Chicago area hospital:

https://chicagocitywire.com/stories/530 ... s-antibody

JC65
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by JC65 » Thu Apr 09 10:37 pm

george wrote:
Thu Apr 09 8:34 pm
Interesting news from Chicago area hospital:

https://chicagocitywire.com/stories/530 ... s-antibody
I can't find it now, but I read an article earlier today about Heisenberg Germany, the hardest hit district in Germany, doing random tests and finding ~14% of those tested having antibodies.

The conclusion I read was that when the shutdown order ends in Heisenberg there will be a second spike in cases and deaths when people not previously exposed to the virus get it.

My guess is the news from Chicago is that they're only testing those people who are sick, whereas in Germany the study tried to do a random test of the population.

Found this: https://www.t-online.de/gesundheit/kran ... fnung.html
So far, more than 1,000 people in over 400 households have been examined in the Heinsberg district, about half of the tested households and the tests of 509 people have already been evaluated. According to Professor Streeck, this corresponds to a representative sample. The scientists found that 15 percent of the population's immunity could be demonstrated in the Gangelt community.

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by gopher6 » Fri Apr 10 12:00 pm

The XFL has shut down

JC65
Golden
Golden

Post by JC65 » Fri Apr 10 12:44 pm

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... t-of-china
Japan has earmarked $2.2 billion of its record economic stimulus package to help its manufacturers shift production out of China as the coronavirus disrupts supply chains between the major trading partners.
There's an awful lot of "blame China" stuff floating around, but this seems more of a "diversify so that when something happens in one place the whole supply chain doesn't collapse" move, which is a good idea.

With the four or five year crusade to "streamline" supply chains, almost everything has become "just in time". Which means when the Target store sells out of toilet paper or the medical equipment supplier runs out of N95 masks there aren't huge warehouses full of them just sitting around to replenish. And while toilet paper isn't a great example most things are made (or have components made) in China, so when China shuts down the ripples affect everyone.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Norm » Fri Apr 10 12:50 pm

Dark Humor someone sent me: I used to cough to cover for a fart. Now I fart to cover for a cough.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Apr 10 1:09 pm

JC65 wrote:
Fri Apr 10 12:44 pm
Japan has earmarked $2.2 billion of its record economic stimulus package to help its manufacturers shift production out of China as the coronavirus disrupts supply chains between the major trading partners.
There's an awful lot of "blame China" stuff floating around, but this seems more of a "diversify so that when something happens in one place the whole supply chain doesn't collapse" move, which is a good idea.

With the four or five year crusade to "streamline" supply chains, almost everything has become "just in time". Which means when the Target store sells out of toilet paper or the medical equipment supplier runs out of N95 masks there aren't huge warehouses full of them just sitting around to replenish. And while toilet paper isn't a great example most things are made (or have components made) in China, so when China shuts down the ripples affect everyone.
If the product you buy isn't made in China, odds are the raw materials used in production of the product were made in China. One of the first things investors asked of our CEO was how much of our raw materials are made in China. We were fortunate to be less dependent on China than most in our sector.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Fri Apr 10 2:21 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Apr 10 1:09 pm
JC65 wrote:
Fri Apr 10 12:44 pm

If the product you buy isn't made in China, odds are the raw materials used in production of the product were made in China. One of the first things investors asked of our CEO was how much of our raw materials are made in China. We were fortunate to be less dependent on China than most in our sector.
Its pretty sickening how the Chi-coms own our supply chains and Politicians. Stealing our intellectual property. Everyone was getting rich, both sides of the aisle. Even more sickening is the fentanyl they are bringing in here. Now this. While Taiwan was trying to tell the W.H.O. that this virus was contagious and dangerous the Chi-Com's and W.H.O. said "there's nothing to see here". Meanwhile 400,000 traveled to the US from China before the President shut down the flights.

Now the left and "Orangeman Bad" networks are all singing in harmony to blame the President.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by Bladepuller » Fri Apr 10 2:33 pm

I see a lock coming if we stay on this road.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Steve MN » Fri Apr 10 2:35 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Fri Apr 10 2:33 pm
I see a lock coming if we stay on this road.
Yeah... it's wandering really close to that line. Fingers crossed people back off a little. (or more than a little)
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by Bladepuller » Fri Apr 10 2:36 pm

Edit.
Meant as a PM
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

Maize
Veteran
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Maize » Fri Apr 10 2:55 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Fri Apr 10 2:35 pm

Yeah... it's wandering really close to that line. Fingers crossed people back off a little. (or more than a little)
Not so much 'people' plural as it is one habitual line-stepper.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by Jupiter » Fri Apr 10 3:04 pm

I just gave Grovetown Scotty a week off...

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by team22tank » Fri Apr 10 3:06 pm

Quarantined during the Quarantine.

kmd
Veteran

Post by kmd » Fri Apr 10 3:06 pm

I didn't know you were a prog metal fan.

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Kelly Red » Fri Apr 10 3:22 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Fri Apr 10 3:04 pm
Wasn’t GS just banned earlier? Or had a whole post stream deleted? How many chances do they get?
Gruss von Krampus!! 👹

Greyeagle
Has liked: 686 times
Been liked: 517 times

Post by Greyeagle » Fri Apr 10 3:26 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Fri Apr 10 3:22 pm
Jupiter wrote:
Fri Apr 10 3:04 pm
Wasn’t GS just banned earlier? Or had a whole post stream deleted? How many chances do they get?
I deleted a bunch based on a GS post earlier this week.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Fri Apr 10 4:34 pm

I noticed the traffic was light but...

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... ronavirus/

thinkbui
Veteran
Been liked: 32 times

Post by thinkbui » Fri Apr 10 5:02 pm

I'm not sure what GS's deal was, but the longer this shutdown lasts, the more concerned I am about how frayed our nerves are getting. The other day there was an article about how the divorce rate had a huge spike in Wuhan after the lockdown there was lifted and I let out a nervous laugh at that knowing that we're going to get stressed even though we're not under a complete lockdown. I'm personally fine because I spend most of my time alone anyway, but I've been checking up on friends who are more sociable since even before the stay-at-home order began to be sure they're alright and lately I've been a bit worried that that's no longer enough.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"
--Gopher Hockey Cheer Chicks, 27 April 2006

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Fri Apr 10 7:17 pm

thinkbui wrote:
Fri Apr 10 5:02 pm
I'm not sure what GS's deal was, but the longer this shutdown lasts, the more concerned I am about how frayed our nerves are getting. The other day there was an article about how the divorce rate had a huge spike in Wuhan after the lockdown there was lifted and I let out a nervous laugh at that knowing that we're going to get stressed even though we're not under a complete lockdown. I'm personally fine because I spend most of my time alone anyway, but I've been checking up on friends who are more sociable since even before the stay-at-home order began to be sure they're alright and lately I've been a bit worried that that's no longer enough.
There's going to be an increase in divorces and a baby boom. Go figure.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 283 times
Been liked: 372 times

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Apr 10 7:23 pm

Norm wrote:
Fri Apr 10 7:17 pm
thinkbui wrote:
Fri Apr 10 5:02 pm
I hope if anything this pandemic helps people realize we need to stop the exponential growth of the human population. 😬

Maize
Veteran
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Maize » Fri Apr 10 7:33 pm

Norm wrote:

As I saw someone else say: If there's a baby boom out of all of this, it's all going to be first children.

Karlsson
Veteran
Been liked: 131 times

Post by Karlsson » Fri Apr 10 8:10 pm

Maize wrote:
Fri Apr 10 7:33 pm
Norm wrote:

As I saw someone else say: If there's a baby boom out of all of this, it's all going to be first children.
Yep. We're stuck at home with a 14 month old. Eff that.

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by HockeyBum » Fri Apr 10 9:28 pm

Norm wrote:
I can see an uptick in divorces, but not a baby boom. I don't think a global pandemic and a total economic collapse really put people in the mood.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 194 times

Post by The Rube » Fri Apr 10 9:37 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Fri Apr 10 9:28 pm
Norm wrote:
I can see an uptick in divorces, but not a baby boom. I don't think a global pandemic and a total economic collapse really put people in the mood.
Well, what else ya gonna do? :wink:
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Composer
Veteran
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by Composer » Fri Apr 10 10:01 pm

Careful. Social distancing.

thinkbui
Veteran

Post by thinkbui » Fri Apr 10 10:05 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Fri Apr 10 9:28 pm
Norm wrote:
I actually think it would, but not necessarily 9 months from now. It's human nature to want to become immortal in a way through children and nothing brings that thought to the forefront more than societal traumas on this scale that involves death. We'll have to see if we see a baby boom around Christmas, but one thing I am expecting to see once this is all over is an increase in dating and weddings by people who feel the need to move their lives along after such a trauma, especially if someone they knew died from COVID-19.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Apr 10 10:12 pm

It's a numbers overload for everyone, and the numbers will only get worse for a while, but for the first time tonight I noticed MN might be 50th out of 50 for confirmed cases per 100K. Keep it up, folks.

States table halfway down this page
https://www.startribune.com/coronavirus ... fresh=true
Sick of LOSERVILLE
105 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 313 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Apr 11 12:25 am

Our family generally gets along fairly well, but unlike in MN our house here doesn't have as much space to get away from each other. Fortunately enough everyone has been very accepting of the situation and we've been slightly more accommodating and patient. Two teenage boys (16 and 17) that were usually good for one poke fest per day have had very few since our quarantine started on the 16th. And here a quarantine is a quarantine. Can't see any friends that are not in our compound, and so most of their friends and both girlfriends are off limits until at least the 1st week of May.

But they can still play basketball, swim, ride their bikes, talk to friends online and we're getting close to watching every movie Netflix has.
Currently under construction.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Been liked: 110 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Sat Apr 11 1:39 pm

Not worried about a divorce. A- Been there done that, won’t do it again. Poisoning will most likely happen before a divorce... B- I have a shop with a fridge and a TV so I just go out there.

Also, not worried about a baby boom here. 4 kids ranging from 13 down to 5 weeks old. ‘Tis ain’t happening!
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

thinkbui
Veteran

Post by thinkbui » Sat Apr 11 3:19 pm

Saw this the other day. If you haven't already done so, you can now officially consider it your patriotic duty to eat bacon:
https://www.startribune.com/with-restau ... 569470222/

"Are you the LEGO guy?"

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by JWG » Sat Apr 11 3:52 pm

Drove the 494 loop today. Hit the McD drive-thru to start and DQ Drive-thru to end. 72.5 miles. Moderate traffic.
JWG
[This space for rent]

00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sat Apr 11 6:14 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Fri Apr 10 8:10 pm
Maize wrote:
Fri Apr 10 7:33 pm
Norm wrote:

Yep. We're stuck at home with a 14 month old. Eff that.
3 year old and 2 year old twins. No chance in hell for anymore
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

kmd
Veteran

Post by kmd » Sun Apr 12 11:37 am

Jesus, no particular increase in amount of tests completed per day, and number of daily confirmed cases just shot from low 90s to 194.

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by HockeyBum » Sun Apr 12 11:56 am

kmd wrote:
Sun Apr 12 11:37 am
Jesus, no particular increase in amount of tests completed per day, and number of daily confirmed cases just shot from low 90s to 194.
That 194 number was apparently an error. Has been revised to 109.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sun Apr 12 11:59 am

As long as we stay in first place in cases per capita, which we still are, I'm proud of the state (despite some idiots still having big gatherings).
Sick of LOSERVILLE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 167 times
Been liked: 238 times

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Apr 12 12:26 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Sun Apr 12 11:56 am
kmd wrote:
Sun Apr 12 11:37 am
That 194 number was apparently an error. Has been revised to 109.
Meanwhile, our neighbors to the west , South Dakota, had 104 yesterday. The rate per 100k is alarming. Most of the cases are from the local meat packing company in SF, which has finally decided to close down( a week too late) It is going to get worse in SF since a lot of things are still open. The retail store where my wife works is closed to the public, and the have 7 people there processing online orders. There has been talk about curbside pick-up, which I hope they don't go to. Just hoping my wife doesn't somehow get it.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 194 times

Post by The Rube » Sun Apr 12 12:55 pm

That meat packing story is crazy. What's the number if one doesn't count those cases? Does that plant skew the ratio enough?
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 167 times
Been liked: 238 times

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Apr 12 1:18 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sun Apr 12 12:55 pm
That meat packing story is crazy. What's the number if one doesn't count those cases? Does that plant skew the ratio enough?
It does blow it up that is for sure. There are 527 cases in Minnehaha County, which is SF. Lincoln County has 46 cases, which includes a small part of southern SF. 293 cases are directly linked to the Smithfield plant. I would bet a lot of the other cases are from contact with those who work at the plant. There are 730 total cases in SD, so a majority of the cases are in the SF area, which is where the majority of the people live in that state. It will get worse since Smithfield was late on the ball handling this, and SD did not have a stay at home order, so people are still roaming around town.

JC65
Golden
Golden

Post by JC65 » Sun Apr 12 6:20 pm

Turns out I'm about three degrees of separation from a pig farmer with ~1500 pigs ready to go to Smithfield in Whioux Falls...

So if anyone wants a 1/2 or a whole pig, I have contact info.

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 260 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by D2D » Sun Apr 12 8:03 pm

Gotta feel for the farmers who are being hurt by all the disruptions in the markets right now. Sad when you see all that excess milk being poured down the drain. Then on the other hand eggs are in short supply and much more expensive than normal.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Apr 12 9:15 pm

JC65 wrote:
Sun Apr 12 6:20 pm
Turns out I'm about three degrees of separation from a pig farmer with ~1500 pigs ready to go to Smithfield in Whioux Falls...

How will it get processed? Do I get a literal half of a pig that I bring to a butcher, like a deer?

JC65
Golden
Golden

Post by JC65 » Sun Apr 12 9:37 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sun Apr 12 9:15 pm
JC65 wrote:

How will it get processed? Do I get a literal half of a pig that I bring to a butcher, like a deer?
He's trying to find a local processor. He's in the Northfield area. I mean, if you want just a side of pork that's probably easier.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Sun Apr 12 9:56 pm

JC65 wrote:
Sun Apr 12 9:37 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
JC65 wrote:

He's trying to find a local processor. He's in the Northfield area. I mean, if you want just a side of pork that's probably easier.
I would imagine there are enough butcher shops, etc that can process this many hogs, especially with hunting season being so far behind us. There is a cool video on YouTube where a guy goes through the entire process for butchering a hog and I highly recommend it. I also watch the cow one, that one was 70 minutes long. Anyway, just got a half pig and smoked the biggest ham for Easter and I am not a ham person but this might be in the Top 5 of smoked meat cuts I have ever done. I injected it before smoking it, even my kids had extras and leftovers twice.
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Sun Apr 12 9:58 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Sun Apr 12 9:56 pm
JC65 wrote:
Sun Apr 12 9:37 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
JC65 wrote:

I would imagine there are enough butcher shops, etc that can process this many hogs, especially with hunting season being so far behind us. There is a cool video on YouTube where a guy goes through the entire process for butchering a hog and I highly recommend it. I also watch the cow one, that one was 70 minutes long. Anyway, just got a half pig and smoked the biggest ham for Easter and I am not a ham person but this might be in the Top 5 of smoked meat cuts I have ever done. I injected it before smoking it, even my kids had extras and leftovers twice.
Here is the link:
I
Doug Woog - 1990

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Mon Apr 13 6:11 am

Well I find this a little surprising, I would have expected lung issues (smoking, asthma, etc.) to be the biggest factor.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/nyu-scien ... cal-cases/

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Mon Apr 13 9:40 am

george wrote:
Mon Apr 13 6:11 am
Well I find this a little surprising, I would have expected lung issues (smoking, asthma, etc.) to be the biggest factor.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/nyu-scien ... cal-cases/
That's good news for me! Dr told me every once in a while I should eat a big bowl of ice cream.

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Mon Apr 13 2:02 pm

The YMCA I went to before the shutdown just called to check on me. I forgot to ask if they were calling everyone or just us oldsters.

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 260 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by D2D » Mon Apr 13 2:18 pm

george wrote:
Mon Apr 13 2:02 pm
The YMCA I went to before the shutdown just called to check on me. I forgot to ask if they were calling everyone or just us oldsters.
I'm surprised they allowed gyms and workout places to stay open as long as they did. The one I was going to (Anytime Fitness) encouraged everyone to wipe the machines and the weights down after each use, but not everyone did. Looking back, using the gym prior to the shutdown was probably my biggest risk of getting sick.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Mon Apr 13 2:21 pm

D2D wrote:
Mon Apr 13 2:18 pm
george wrote:
I'm surprised they allowed gyms and workout places to stay open as long as they did. The one I was going to (Anytime Fitness) encouraged everyone to wipe the machines and the weights down after each use, but not everyone did. Looking back, using the gym prior to the shutdown was probably my biggest risk of getting sick.
I went to the gym on March 11, the same day the NBA and NHL has their last games. I completely agree that looking back it was my biggest risk. I knew it was a little risky then, but wasn’t so worried. Knowing what I know now, I don’t know how I could be so dumb.

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Mon Apr 13 2:27 pm

I went to the gym and swam just a day or two before they closed them. The pool was pretty empty and I asked a woman who was getting in what percentage of chlorine it took to kill Covid19.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Apr 13 3:00 pm

Finally, NOT going to a gym kept me healthy for a change!
Doug Woog - 1990

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Apr 13 3:30 pm

KAT's mom passed away from the virus
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Apr 13 3:44 pm

Sick of LOSERVILLE

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Mon Apr 13 6:35 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Mon Apr 13 2:21 pm
D2D wrote:
george wrote:
I went to the gym on March 11, the same day the NBA and NHL has their last games. I completely agree that looking back it was my biggest risk. I knew it was a little risky then, but wasn’t so worried. Knowing what I know now, I don’t know how I could be so dumb.
Don’t beat yourself up to much.

So as late as February 29, Dr. Fauci was telling Americans it was okay to engage in three of the most risk-for-infection behaviors imaginable: crowded malls, crowded movie theaters, and sweaty gyms.

https://techstartups.com/2020/04/13/dr- ... -29-video/

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Mon Apr 13 8:32 pm

team22tank wrote:
Mon Apr 13 6:35 pm
Snowcool08 wrote:
D2D wrote:
george wrote:

So as late as February 29, Dr. Fauci was telling Americans it was okay to engage in three of the most risk-for-infection behaviors imaginable: crowded malls, crowded movie theaters, and sweaty gyms.

I haven’t really beaten myself up. We didn’t know much. To be fair to Fauci, a lot changed in two weeks. Feb 29 to Mar 11 felt like 6 months. The world changed what felt like hourly.

If I could go to the gym right now I would. I’d obviously be as safe as possible. I’m just starting to get a little soft around the edges. It’s going to take some work after this quarantine to get back in shape.

GopherPete
Veteran
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by GopherPete » Tue Apr 14 7:16 am

Get yourself a pair of these, hop on youtube and find videos of how to use, and then find a tree to hang them on and get creative. You can work every muscle in your body and if you structure your workout properly, you can build strength and muscle mass.

(I recommend calisthenic movement, fitness faqs, and Darek Woś Caliathletics for solid youtube channels for ring workouts)

Kelor
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Kelor » Tue Apr 14 8:07 am

Snowcool08 wrote:
Mon Apr 13 8:32 pm
team22tank wrote:
Snowcool08 wrote:
D2D wrote:
george wrote:

I haven’t really beaten myself up. We didn’t know much. To be fair to Fauci, a lot changed in two weeks. Feb 29 to Mar 11 felt like 6 months. The world changed what felt like hourly.

If I could go to the gym right now I would. I’d obviously be as safe as possible. I’m just starting to get a little soft around the edges. It’s going to take some work after this quarantine to get back in shape.
Considering the median age of the dead is 88 years old (literally), and the Walz data shows that Shelter for the Vulnerable has nearly the exact same death rate as his shelter in place order (again literally), I wouldn't be too concerned if you are healthy.

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases ... html#ageb1

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Tue Apr 14 8:33 am

GopherPete wrote:
Tue Apr 14 7:16 am

Get yourself a pair of these, hop on youtube and find videos of how to use, and then find a tree to hang them on and get creative. You can work every muscle in your body and if you structure your workout properly, you can build strength and muscle mass.

(I recommend calisthenic movement, fitness faqs, and Darek Woś Caliathletics for solid youtube channels for ring workouts)
I don't think my orthopedist would encourage that given the state of both my rotator cuffs. There are a number of orthopedic reasons why swimming, i.e. non-load bearing, is my preferred exercise.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Apr 14 9:23 am

Snowcool08 wrote:
Mon Apr 13 8:32 pm
team22tank wrote:
Snowcool08 wrote:
D2D wrote:
george wrote:

I was more playing around. Point being the experts were off so how in the world could the Joe Schmoes be on?

I mean as late as March 1 all the NY experts were saying game on, nothing to see here. Oops.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Apr 14 9:23 am

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Apr 14 9:45 am

Interesting article stating that placing patients on stomach improves oxygen absorption and is saving lives.
"It's such a simple thing to do, and we've seen remarkable improvement. We can see it for every single patient."

It says one hospital is even having non-sedated patients lie on their stomachs for up to 4 hours per day.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/health/c ... index.html

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Apr 14 10:07 am

team22tank wrote:
Tue Apr 14 9:23 am
Yes
I'm more risk averse. I wonder if the U would let some of us do a second half season ticket package (+ maybe 100 bucks to hold the seat for the year), and they're free to open up my tickets for the first half games.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Tue Apr 14 10:08 am

team22tank wrote:
Tue Apr 14 9:23 am
Yes
Not now.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Apr 14 10:27 am

Norm wrote:
Tue Apr 14 10:08 am
Not now.
The question is whether you would before a vaccine is created, so you can answer that, too.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Armadillo » Tue Apr 14 12:44 pm

45 new cases today. An encouraging sign.
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Apr 14 12:51 pm

Armadillo wrote:
Tue Apr 14 12:44 pm
45 new cases today. An encouraging sign.
Testing was half the norm, though.

Regardless, the confirmed cases have been closer to linear than exponential. Stay and home orders help.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Armadillo » Tue Apr 14 12:55 pm

I didn't see that note about testing, but your point about linear v. exponential stands.
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Apr 14 1:18 pm

EDIT: Disregard. Had misread BU was already confirmed to cancel fall semester
Last edited by Bonin21 on Tue Apr 14 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Shooter
Rookie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Shooter » Tue Apr 14 1:38 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Tue Apr 14 1:18 pm

BU just said fall semester is cancelled
Fake news. They “may postpone” if necessary, just like everyone else.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Apr 14 1:43 pm

Shooter wrote:
Tue Apr 14 1:38 pm

Fake news. They “may postpone” if necessary, just like everyone else.
Just saw that
Sick of LOSERVILLE