Coronavirus discussion

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 110 times

Re: Coronavirus discussion

Post by streakygopher » Fri Apr 03 11:19 am

gopherhockeyfan7 wrote:
Fri Apr 03 11:06 am
Orion wrote:
Fri Apr 03 10:23 am
If you don't mind sharing, what industries do you guys work in?
I work in analytics for Polaris.
Just talked with a Polaris engineer who told me the check book is closed.

Talked with another engineer of an axle mfr who said he's on furlough, as sales dropped 80%....they are a supplier to the camper industry, which is basically shut down right now.

These are not exceptions. Plummeting demand + cash hoarding = zero capex spending for this year....and it will spill over to next year.

#we'ref*ck*d

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Fri Apr 03 11:22 am

Norm wrote:
Fri Apr 03 10:28 am
gopherguy06 wrote:
Fri Apr 03 9:27 am
With gloves, make sure you dispose of them. They aren't meant to be used over and over as you are just transferring germs as you move from your house, to the store, etc.
I can't see gloves as being very helpful for shopping. Let's say you need milk. You use your gloved hand on a filthy door handle to open the dairy cooler. Now that glove is dirty. Then you pick up some other items. Haven't you transferred the germs from the door handle to the other items the same as if you were bare handed?
I get my groceries, keep my distance, use hand sanitizer in the car. When I get home wash my hands after getting the groceries inside. Put the groceries away rinse and repeat. The key is not touching your face.

Then sanitize the counter where the groceries were. I really don’t see why you need gloves if you are careful.

Also seeing more masked store employees and Cub has the glass divider at checkout. So many people have common sense and yet there always has to be a few dimwits out shopping.

Just heard Allina is furloughing all nonessential doctors and nurses after April 12th

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Fri Apr 03 11:37 am

Orion wrote:
Fri Apr 03 10:23 am
If you don't mind sharing, what industries do you guys work in?
Medical Device. The reason for the change is a drastic drop in demand as hospitals focus on sick patients, elective surgeries are be deferred and not done. Even in some cases, which are more severe like Italy, they aren't putting in Pacemakers after Heart Attacks as they dont ahve the capacity to deal with non-Covid cases

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Fri Apr 03 11:39 am

g-manpuck wrote:
Fri Apr 03 8:14 am
This is getting too tin foil hat for me. I'll talk with everyone in the fall. Stay healthy everyone.
:conf2:

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 137 times

Post by Bladepuller » Fri Apr 03 12:11 pm

I used to be a "Scaffoldologist" during outages in a Nuke plant. The peocedures I had drilled into me then is good now. When we "dressed out" you had on rubber globes over cloth gloves. You worked taking off what had the potential to be " dirtiest" to cleanedt & then from top down. IE rubber protective booties over cloth boot covers were 1st off and into trash. Then yellow coveralls into laundy bin. Then paper hard hat cover to trash.
Now rubber gloves to trash.
Now cloth boot covers to trash.
Finally cloth inner gloves to trash.

Nitrile gloves under mechanic gloves is my eventual plan with the mechanic gloves being washed.
Every thing store bought is now washed 1st before being put away.
I never realized that I have a nervous habit of scratching my chin / pulling on mu goatee until I was "dressed out" doing millwright support on the MNGS turbine deck & a Rad Protection worker busted me touching my face with a rubber glove my first outage. Standing up against the contamination barrier ( a yellow caution tape hung on stanchion poles) while she reached in with a geiger counter type wand to see if I was clean caught my attention. I was given a break and didn't get walked out the gate.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Fri Apr 03 12:12 pm

Thought about putting this in the baseball thread, but it is Coronavirus related.

American Legion cancelled their summer baseball season already. Doesn’t bode well for my kids 12 year old season of Little League..
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 194 times

Post by JWG » Fri Apr 03 12:43 pm

Kudos to Delta for doings their best to do what’s right in challenging times (their potential bailout aside, still better than United)

https://view.o.delta.com/?qs=37b7f95573 ... 72d520ec26
JWG
[This space for rent]

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 198 times

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Apr 03 12:53 pm

Hmm, maybe screw walking on any somewhat busy path
Loserville, USA
108 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 50 times

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Fri Apr 03 12:53 pm

JWG wrote:
Fri Apr 03 12:43 pm
Kudos to Delta for doings their best to do what’s right in challenging times (their potential bailout aside, still better than United)

A buddy of mine who works in IT at Delta seems to think United or American will not survive this for sure. Delta will take a handout, but United or American are in rough shape already and this will put them over the edge.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 295 times

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Apr 03 1:08 pm

JWG wrote:
Fri Apr 03 12:43 pm

Great news. We can now use this years credit for next years Frozen Four instead of trying to use it by years end. :good2:

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by davescharf » Fri Apr 03 2:16 pm

I just bought tickets to Orlando for the week before school starts. They were $216 round trip.

We figure even if this isn’t all sorted out we get a free change and the one year to complete travel will cover Spring Break next year. If it’s still a mess I’m sure they’ll extend cancellations again and we will use the tickets.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by gopherguy13 » Fri Apr 03 3:36 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Our company and sounds like at least one other in MN that I know of went to 4 day work week and 80% pay. Ours if for 90 days and for all 36,000 employees nationwide, then the other company I heard of was through end of year, but not sure for sure. Kind of sucks, but better than getting laid off.
Yeah my roommate was just told that yesterday, from his higher ups. So many people having their paychecks impacted by this.
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 34 times

Post by gopherguy13 » Fri Apr 03 3:38 pm

There are some interesting graphs and data on the MN Department of Public Health website around COVID 19, if you're like me and like to look at things from an analytical/statistical view. They have tons of breakdowns by age, transmission, location, and more:

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases ... ation.html
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Fri Apr 03 3:48 pm

gopherguy13 wrote:
Fri Apr 03 3:38 pm
There are some interesting graphs and data on the MN Department of Public Health website around COVID 19, if you're like me and like to look at things from an analytical/statistical view. They have tons of breakdowns by age, transmission, location, and more:

Who is the 104 year old who didn’t require hospitalization? Must be one tough MFer.

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by D2D » Fri Apr 03 4:17 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Fri Apr 03 3:48 pm
Who is the 104 year old who didn’t require hospitalization? Must be one tough MFer.
Sid's only 100.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Fri Apr 03 4:36 pm

gopherguy13 wrote:
Fri Apr 03 3:38 pm

I think lot of people see what's happening in New York and its starting to sink in. I see more people at work doing the social distancing thing on the job. I still have people at work that will walk right up to me and start talking. Management has given all the right guidelines from the bunker they are in, but I am doing less backing up each day.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Apr 03 5:00 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Thu Apr 02 11:35 pm
Masks will be a national recommendation within 48 hours.

N95's will be reserved for those that need them most until there are enough for more than that.

Know the difference, and get ready to rock the mask.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/politics ... index.html
Loserville, USA
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Maize
Veteran
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Maize » Fri Apr 03 5:17 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Fri Apr 03 3:48 pm

Antibodies left over from the 1918 pandemic?

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 124 times

Post by Norm » Fri Apr 03 7:31 pm

gopherguy13 wrote:
Fri Apr 03 3:36 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:
Our company and sounds like at least one other in MN that I know of went to 4 day work week and 80% pay. Ours if for 90 days and for all 36,000 employees nationwide, then the other company I heard of was through end of year, but not sure for sure. Kind of sucks, but better than getting laid off.
Yeah my roommate was just told that yesterday, from his higher ups. So many people having their paychecks impacted by this.
My daughter works in an office of 8 people. Mgmt decided to have 2 work at a time. So she goes to work every 4th day. At least she still has a job.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Apr 03 7:42 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
I think I know the company and heard through aunts that the newspapers broke the news before employees knew.

My company will do 80% next, if not worse. 80% means 32 hours a week and therefore doesn't qualify for unemployment, so that will be a pretty common number.
Loserville, USA

magoose
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by magoose » Fri Apr 03 8:19 pm

My manufacturing company did across the board 10% pay reduction and no pay increases this next year cycle. 2 days off a month without pay is much better than losing your job. Top executives said they are taking a larger hit. All said and done, 57,000 employees throughout the world with my corporation affected. This occurring with most of our plants considered essential. Scary times.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times

Post by The Rube » Fri Apr 03 9:25 pm

My company (industrial supply) has seen business rise, due to paper products/PPE/etc. We received a pay bump (good from March 22 until at least the end of April), since we can't work at home, and just put in close to a 55 hour week (a hair shy of 36 hours in the last 3 days).

Since I work with only one other person (plus 4 truck drivers who pick up product) at my building (22.5K sq ft warehouse), the social distancing is easy at my building. Our main building, they are doing what they can, adding extra precautions like wiping EVERYTHING down about every half hour.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 357 times

Post by D2D » Fri Apr 03 10:09 pm

Up-to-date info on the state of the disease in Minnesota is now up here:

https://mn.gov/covid19/
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 363 times

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Apr 03 11:22 pm

They don’t seem to track new cases by the day.

Are we still at a rate of 50 or so per day?

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Apr 03 11:33 pm

Yes, but the number to watch is hospitalizations and ICU.
https://www.startribune.com/coronavirus ... 568712601/
Loserville, USA

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Apr 03 11:43 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Fri Apr 03 11:33 pm
Yes, but the number to watch is hospitalizations and ICU.
https://www.startribune.com/coronavirus ... 568712601/
I get it.
But as new cases become old cases, and symptoms become more severe, I expect to have hospitalizations increase in the early stages with constant rate of positive results. It is nice to see we aren’t jumping by 100s yet.

Maybe this stay at home thing is helping.

On a side note a friends dad tested positive in FL. He is on the downhill side and his symptoms were mild. Fatigue and loss of appetite. No fever. I hope it goes that well for me.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 126 times

Post by Bigbeer » Fri Apr 03 11:49 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Apr 03 9:02 am
g-manpuck wrote:
This is getting too tin foil hat for me. I'll talk with everyone in the fall. Stay healthy everyone.
Adios
I love that some people’s coping mechanism for this is to simply not believe it. Those same people also seem to love conspiracy theories...ironic.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Sioux Suck
Rookie
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Sioux Suck » Sat Apr 04 12:59 am

Weird thought...the Lucius brothers have a distinct advantage with a full ice arena at their disposal during quarantine. I’m glad they are on our side. Someone may have already said this.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times

Post by The Rube » Sat Apr 04 1:02 am

Bigbeer wrote:
Fri Apr 03 11:49 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Apr 03 9:02 am
g-manpuck wrote:
Adios
I love that some people’s coping mechanism for this is to simply not believe it. Those same people also seem to love conspiracy theories...ironic.
In before the block.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by Thirty-Four » Sat Apr 04 2:02 am

I hope it’s not locked. I offered two and a half weeks ago to move to manual labor to help my co-workers and be alone in our facility. Reading this thread has helped keep me sane. I now understand the effectiveness of isolation in prison. It’s chilled me way out.

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by Zwak » Sat Apr 04 7:30 am

If you have a Kindle or the Kindle app, Amazon has a book by Dr. Osterholm on killer germs on sale for $2.99 today.

GPL's official source of trivia.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Sat Apr 04 9:22 am

Read two separate stories about Minnesota nurses flying to New York to help out with the horrible situation there. God bless them and all first responders and front line doctors and nurses.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by george » Sat Apr 04 9:42 am

My company (engineering) has closed our offices and gone 100% work remotely. Some people have to go to sites and even meetings, but most client meetings are now done virtually. We had a department go-to-meeting with video for the first time yesterday (so I put on a nicer sweatshirt and combed my hair - one colleague had a dress shirt and tie on, but not pants when we made him stand up :lol: ) we've been doing them with just audio previously. Very few project delays or cancellations and, in fact, an uptick in RFPs. Most of our projects are considered critical, water and wastewater and roadwork. I only work half time and now I do it over 7 days instead of 3.

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Sat Apr 04 9:52 am

g-manpuck wrote:
I thought tin foil hats referred to aliens or Big Gov't trying to take over our brains. I don't see anything like that going on around here.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Sat Apr 04 10:00 am

Read today that Walmart and Target will begin to limit the amount of customers in the store. Also heard Menards is thinking about taking temperatures of customers coming in.
That makes no sense to me as you could be asymptomatic and still carry the virus. Also seems a little confrontational.

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Sat Apr 04 10:14 am

CDC now recommends everyone wear a mask in public.

Maize
Veteran

Post by Maize » Sat Apr 04 10:44 am

This story from Illinois is insane. The state had to drop off a $3.4M check(!) in a McDonald's parking lot to someone that "knows a guy" in China so that they could get an order of masks 20 minutes before someone else sniped it from them.

I think that shows why it was a pretty bold step that Minnesota is putting all their PPE/ventilator information online while most states are choosing to keep that information as quiet as possible.

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by davescharf » Sat Apr 04 10:53 am

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Sat Apr 04 10:00 am
Read today that Walmart and Target will begin to limit the amount of customers in the store. Also heard Menards is thinking about taking temperatures of customers coming in.
That makes no sense to me as you could be asymptomatic and still carry the virus. Also seems a little confrontational.
Or you could be showing a mild fever and not knowing you're potentially spreading it. You couldn't go anywhere in China without taking a temperature, although there they were whisking you away for 2 weeks if you had one.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Sat Apr 04 10:54 am

D2D wrote:
Fri Apr 03 10:09 pm

Martin County jumps out at me. Population of 20,000 has 32 cases. Way out of proportion.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 981 times
Been liked: 665 times

Post by Greyeagle » Sat Apr 04 10:59 am

Norm wrote:
Sat Apr 04 10:54 am
D2D wrote:
Fri Apr 03 10:09 pm

Martin County jumps out at me. Population of 20,000 has 32 cases. Way out of proportion.
Interesting read on this.

https://m.startribune.com/2-residents-o ... 569239942/
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 144 times

Post by Kelly Red » Sat Apr 04 11:26 am

So weird question after reading various “mask” stories. How or why does a N95 mask expire? I’ve read several stories about lack of permanent stockpile because they expire. How does a mask expire? Is it the fabric deteriorating? Or The elastic? Because that would take decades!
Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let’s go. We’re burning daylight.
-John Wayne

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 137 times

Post by Bladepuller » Sat Apr 04 11:30 am

I read that Strib piece also when it 1st came out.
China visit with a January return?
I would not "blame" anyone then for not self quarantining, now it would be inexcusable.
Hell, we self quarantined for 2 weeks starting March 15 because we drove back from AZ.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Steve MN » Sat Apr 04 12:25 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Sat Apr 04 11:26 am
So weird question after reading various “mask” stories. How or why does a N95 mask expire? I’ve read several stories about lack of permanent stockpile because they expire. How does a mask expire? Is it the fabric deteriorating? Or The elastic? Because that would take decades!
Looks like it's concern about the elastic bands, nose-piece etc... the N95 masks are meant to seal very closely against your skin, so if those parts of the mask deteriorate, that can stop the mask from being fully effective. The Institue that sets the guidelines seems to require some sort of expiration date as part of meeting the certifications. It's one of those "these components degrade, we have to put an expiration date on them or if someone uses an old one and it doesn't work right, we'll get sued" as near as I can tell. The filter material itself is inert, so even if it's "expired" it's still likely way better than a regular surgical mask, and infinitely better than some of the improvised solutions out there. (Standard caveats, not a doctor/lawyer/infectious disease or protective equipment specialist, etc)
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medica ... r-BB11nbSy
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by HockeyBum » Sat Apr 04 12:50 pm

I'm thinking about driving the entire 494/694 loop today just for fun. That's how bored I am.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 499 times

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Apr 04 12:55 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Sat Apr 04 12:50 pm
I'm thinking about driving the entire 494/694 loop today just for fun. That's how bored I am.
I totally thought about that yesterday! Might wait til I get the firebird out of storage and drive tops off with my Gopher mask on....😆

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sat Apr 04 1:02 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Sat Apr 04 12:50 pm
This I could wrap my head around. Also thought about driving to Rochester just to wave to my parents from the car...
JWG
[This space for rent]

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Sat Apr 04 1:06 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
I wear masks when working in a grain bin. The elastic straps break after repeated use. And you can only store new ones so long, maybe 2 years, before the elastic straps kind of rot.

Maize
Veteran

Post by Maize » Sat Apr 04 1:15 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
The ones that were sent to Alabama had dry rot on them.

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 144 times

Post by Kelly Red » Sat Apr 04 2:15 pm

Maize wrote:
Sat Apr 04 1:15 pm
Kelly Red wrote:
Ether the storage area is really poor or they are ancient. I have perfectly good elastic that’s at least 10 yrs old. But I get the idea of “having” to have an expiration date. I just thought it was strange.
But I have good elastic, I’m sure the basic masks are very low buck. Cheapo elastic would give out.
Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let’s go. We’re burning daylight.
-John Wayne

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Sat Apr 04 2:21 pm

Here is a good resource for technical questions related to 3M's masks. There are shelf life tech bulletins a couple of pages down.

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/179 ... tbreak.pdf

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Sat Apr 04 2:49 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Sat Apr 04 2:15 pm
Maize wrote:
Sat Apr 04 1:15 pm
Kelly Red wrote:
Ether the storage area is really poor or they are ancient. I have perfectly good elastic that’s at least 10 yrs old. But I get the idea of “having” to have an expiration date. I just thought it was strange.
But I have good elastic, I’m sure the basic masks are very low buck. Cheapo elastic would give out.
Have been using 3M 8210’s for years. Never used one with a bad binder. They are well designed and easy to use. We have to be fit tested every year and I have never seen one fail if put on properly.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 416 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Apr 04 7:13 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Sat Apr 04 10:00 am
They've been checking temps here for weeks and no one thinks twice. No it won't "catch" someone that's asymptomatic but that's no reason to not do it. And I'm surprised they weren't already limiting foot traffic.
Currently under construction.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sun Apr 05 10:34 am

Delta continues to impress me.

Just got an e-mail letting me know they have already decided to extend any status through 2021 regardless of if you requality, that any miles accrued in 2020 will just roll over into 2021 toward 2022 status, and flexibility with a number of other travel benefits.

I get we have about 2% choice in airlines here, but I'm glad it's Delta - they've tried to do right as much as they can considering their revenue fall off (again, bailouts aside). And I haven't seen United or American come out with anything close yet.

I actually look forward to when I can get on a plane again. Hoping my July 4th Vegas and August Sonoma trips can happen.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Steve MN » Sun Apr 05 10:53 am

JWG wrote:
Sun Apr 05 10:34 am
Delta continues to impress me.

Just got an e-mail letting me know they have already decided to extend any status through 2021 regardless of if you requality, that any miles accrued in 2020 will just roll over into 2021 toward 2022 status, and flexibility with a number of other travel benefits.

I get we have about 2% choice in airlines here, but I'm glad it's Delta - they've tried to do right as much as they can considering their revenue fall off (again, bailouts aside). And I haven't seen United or American come out with anything close yet.

I actually look forward to when I can get on a plane again. Hoping my July 4th Vegas and August Sonoma trips can happen.
Also, any ecredits you have with them for cancelled flights/etc have been extended out to 2022. While it would be good to have some more competition here and lower some of the flight prices and such, overall, I've been very happy with Delta.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 499 times

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Apr 05 4:13 pm

Bauer making face shields for healthcare workers. And they are so backlogged with orders they have stopped taking more and instead have distributed the design for free so others can make them. Very cool and selfless of them.
Another reason to love the hockey community even more.

https://www.kare11.com/mobile/article/n ... 9516e45a24

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by Orion » Sun Apr 05 4:32 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sun Apr 05 4:13 pm
Bauer making face shields for healthcare workers. And they are so backlogged with orders they have stopped taking more and instead have distributed the design for free so others can make them. Very cool and selfless of them.
Another reason to love the hockey community even more.

https://www.kare11.com/mobile/article/n ... 9516e45a24
Brian's is doing this as well. :dup:

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Sun Apr 05 6:20 pm

Now zoo animals are getting it? I thought they told us humans couldn't give it to animals.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/tiger-n ... 50772.html

JC65
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by JC65 » Sun Apr 05 7:18 pm

Norm wrote:
Sun Apr 05 6:20 pm
Now zoo animals are getting it? I thought they told us humans couldn't give it to animals.

If humans can give it to animals, or even just cats, that's huge. If animals can give it back to other humans that's even bigger.

I think this report illustrates just how much we don't know about this virus and how quickly things are changing.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Apr 05 8:39 pm

JC65 wrote:
Sun Apr 05 7:18 pm
Norm wrote:

If humans can give it to animals, or even just cats, that's huge. If animals can give it back to other humans that's even bigger.

I think this report illustrates just how much we don't know about this virus and how quickly things are changing.
This whole thing started by a human getting a coronavirus from an animal. This shouldn’t be stunning.

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by Thirty-Four » Sun Apr 05 11:14 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sun Apr 05 8:39 pm
JC65 wrote:
Sun Apr 05 7:18 pm
Norm wrote:

This whole thing started by a human getting a coronavirus from an animal. This shouldn’t be stunning.
I'm worried about my family pets, just as I was running out of worries. :ddown:

kmd
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by kmd » Mon Apr 06 11:44 am

My understanding is that it doesn't affect animals as severely, making it fairly indistinguishable from other seasonal allergies/upper respiratory issues they regularly get. There are likely a lot of other animals (at least lions/tigers) that are/were infected in the New York Zoo system, but the symptoms were so similar to what they normally deal with it didn't raise any red flags. They don't seem to have much of a concern about contracting Covid-19 from the animals, but are worried about asymptomatic carriers and transferring it to the animals.

Composer
Veteran
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Composer » Mon Apr 06 11:51 am

Norm wrote:

Remind me to stay 6 feet away from him.

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Mon Apr 06 12:01 pm

Composer wrote:
Mon Apr 06 11:51 am
Norm wrote:

Yeah, you wonder how it happened. Did an employee cough and sneeze on a tiger? Seems unlikely.

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Apr 06 2:33 pm

Per the BBC British PM Boris Johnson has been moved to ICU in London.
Yikes....

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Apr 06 2:45 pm

Geez... : (
Loserville, USA

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Been liked: 147 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Apr 06 3:24 pm

Norm wrote:
Mon Apr 06 12:01 pm
Composer wrote:
Norm wrote:

Yeah, you wonder how it happened. Did an employee cough and sneeze on a tiger? Seems unlikely.
From Joe Exotic.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

eHo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by eHo » Mon Apr 06 3:41 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Mon Apr 06 3:24 pm
Norm wrote:
Composer wrote:
Norm wrote:

From Joe Exotic.
Undercooked Carole Baskin's husband.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Apr 06 8:46 pm

Loserville, USA

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Apr 06 9:08 pm

My guess is they didn’t do a lot of homework on this.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Apr 06 9:10 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Apr 06 9:08 pm
This would probably not be that hard of a query/report to run that they have run in the past... No "homework". It's just data.

It's possible their analysts are useless though, and they are simply running line items such that some restaurants say "Pepperoni", some "Pepp", some "Large Pepperoni", and so on, which results in only a simple side like garlic naan showing up consistently across restaurants.
Loserville, USA

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Apr 06 9:15 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Mon Apr 06 9:10 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
This would probably not be that hard of a query/report to run that they have run in the past... No "homework". It's just data.

It's possible their analysts are useless though, and they are simply running line items such that some restaurants say "Pepperoni", some "Pepp", some "Large Pepperoni", and so on, which results in only a simple side like garlic naan showing up consistently across restaurants.
There aren’t enough places in MN that serve garlic naan for this to be possible. I also don’t believe the top food delivery in Oklahoma is spicy tuna roll. Nor do I believe Iowegans are THAT in to large Poke bowls.

Kentucky doesn’t seem like a Pad Thai hotbed.

I love nachos as much as the next guy, probably more, but it isn’t exactly the best option for delivery, unless North Carolinans really like mushy chips.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Apr 06 9:19 pm

I agree it's odd, but I just looked and two of the top 3 Uber Eats near me are indian restaurants that of course have garlic naan.
Loserville, USA

MATT
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 59 times

Post by MATT » Mon Apr 06 9:27 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Apr 06 9:15 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
Mon Apr 06 9:10 pm
Bertogliat wrote:

There aren’t enough places in MN that serve garlic naan for this to be possible. I also don’t believe the top food delivery in Oklahoma is spicy tuna roll. Nor do I believe Iowegans are THAT in to large Poke bowls.

Kentucky doesn’t seem like a Pad Thai hotbed.

I love nachos as much as the next guy, probably more, but it isn’t exactly the best option for delivery, unless North Carolinans really like mushy chips.
We love nachos 😂

00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by 00xtremeninja » Tue Apr 07 12:18 am

eHo wrote:
Mon Apr 06 3:41 pm
MNGophers29 wrote:
Mon Apr 06 3:24 pm
Norm wrote:
Composer wrote:
Norm wrote:

From Joe Exotic.
Undercooked Carole Baskin's husband.
Carole effing Baskin, cant even kill her husband right. I blame her as causing patient 0
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Tue Apr 07 8:08 am

It could be too the folks that are using Uber Eats are more millenials and what not and those are their food choices as opposed to the most popular takeout