Coronavirus discussion

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
gopherfun83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Coronavirus discussion

Post by gopherfun83 » Tue Mar 17 7:51 am

Armadillo wrote:
Mon Mar 16 9:42 pm
What surprised me at Hy Vee in Brooklyn Park yesterday was all of the people with mass quantities of bottled water in their carts. As far as I can tell, there's no fear of the water supply being affected by this, unlike in a natural disaster situation.
True, filtered water is just as good or even better in most cases.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by g-manpuck » Tue Mar 17 8:03 am

With the closure of restaurants for dine in service, my wife has lost her part time job for the time being. I am truly amazed at how well she is handling that along with the day she had at Head Start where it was her co-workers causing her more stress than the families she serves. Her calmness is giving me some.

Then there are people that I am on the parent board for the Lancers Marching Band. We were supposed to meet this upcoming Wednesday evening, I cancelled the meeting and made the decision to put our plans on pause until the school district lays out its plans beyond March 27th. Besides the two members who lost their son last week, I am the only one who agrees with this pause. The other five members wish to hold the meeting online to discuss plans and events.

I understand the want to do something to feel somewhat normal but to put the effort into a meeting which will most certainly be derailed by discussions of Covid-19 and the recent death of a member of the band. I feel that schools are at that point they are working to go online for the remainder of the year. That will close the schools and the available or rehearsal space for the band. I would imagine the MSHSL will follow suit and cancel spring sports, the Lancers operate under MSHSL rules so that would in effect cancel the Lancers.

I just feel that I am the only one recognizing the fragile tipping point on what is truly an non-essential program in the large scheme of things. I'm just frustrated. Sorry for the rant...stay well everyone.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 416 times

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Mar 17 8:10 am

So our province is on lockdown, which unlike in Bangkok no defined end date has been given. As such:

1. No dine-in service at restaurants/bars
2. Government offices closed
3. Travel is restricted based upon your DL address
4. No public transpo
5. I can travel to work, just need to show my work ID if asked for at any checkpoint
6. Grocery stores are open but they are restricting the number of customers at any time

Wife tried to go shopping yesterday but the line was too long, even at Costco style warehouse. We stocked up some and we should be fine. Worst comes to worst we'll get out early or late when the lines will be less.
Currently under construction.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 124 times

Post by Norm » Tue Mar 17 10:11 am

Walmart does not have a single slice of sandwich meat.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 295 times

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Mar 17 11:09 am

Mall of America closing today at 5pm and will remain closed through at least March 31st.

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Tue Mar 17 11:18 am

What's going to happen to homeless people that go to soup kitchens for meals?

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by Zwak » Tue Mar 17 11:27 am

Norm wrote:
Tue Mar 17 11:18 am
What's going to happen to homeless people that go to soup kitchens for meals?
Soup kitchens, shelters, etc are exempt.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 981 times
Been liked: 665 times

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Mar 17 12:06 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Tue Mar 17 11:09 am
Mall of America closing today at 5pm and will remain closed through at least March 31st.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 144 times

Post by Kelly Red » Tue Mar 17 12:15 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Tue Mar 17 11:09 am
I think a lot of pressure was on them to completely close. With schools closed the last thing they wanted was a bunch of teenagers hanging out at the mall. As we've seen with restaurants, people can not manage to self regulate themselves, especially those who are younger, so it's being done for them.

I am currently entertaining my neighbors kids as she had to run into work to get files and such. We just had a marathon session of Candyland and now they are watching cartoons. I need a drink! And they CHEAT at Candyland the little :censored: !!
Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let’s go. We’re burning daylight.
-John Wayne

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 194 times

Post by JWG » Tue Mar 17 12:42 pm

Our dog is even sick of us...
JWG
[This space for rent]

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Mar 17 3:01 pm

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Tue Mar 17 3:33 pm

Now that testing is becoming more widely available and kits are available - I would expect a rise in confirmed cases both due to spread and just awareness. Two weeks agoI was down and out for 2 days with a cough, fever, and very flu-like symptoms. Was it the flu? Was it a cold? Was it COVID-19? I won't know.
Last edited by JWG on Tue Mar 17 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JWG
[This space for rent]

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Tue Mar 17 3:43 pm

I think that is the thing that Americans need to keep in mind when there is a big spike in confirmed cases is that testing is becoming more available. People were not as informed one week ago as they are now. Myself I am more informed and have a much different view of this than I did a week ago.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 363 times

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Mar 17 3:52 pm

JWG wrote:
Tue Mar 17 3:33 pm
Now that testing is becoming more widely available and kits are available - I would expect a rise in confirmed cases both due to spread and just awareness. Two weeks agoI was down and out for 2 days with a cough, fever, and very flu-like symptoms. Was it the flu? Was it a cold? Was it COVID-19? I won't know.
It wasn’t a cold if you had a fever.

If you have other people living with you and they didn’t also catch it, it wasn’t likely COVID-19. From what I understand, it spreads to everyone.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Bigbeer » Tue Mar 17 4:53 pm

g-manpuck wrote:
Tue Mar 17 3:43 pm
I think that is the thing that Americans need to keep in mind when there is a big spike in confirmed cases is that testing is becoming more available. People were not as informed one week ago as they are now. Myself I am more informed and have a much different view of this than I did a week ago.
By “not as informed” you mean “didn’t want to listen”?
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Tue Mar 17 5:44 pm

Norm wrote:
Tue Mar 17 10:11 am
Walmart does not have a single slice of sandwich meat.
I’m not sure what they carry qualifies as meat
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Tue Mar 17 5:59 pm

People can be like sheep. How else do you explain a run on a$$wipe?

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by davescharf » Tue Mar 17 6:28 pm

g-manpuck wrote:
You mean the testing that MN can't seem to get enough of, leading to tighter criteria of who can be tested?
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by george » Tue Mar 17 7:27 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Mar 17 3:52 pm
JWG wrote:
It wasn’t a cold if you had a fever.
Not necessarily true. A cold can come with a low grade fever.

Composer
Veteran
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Composer » Tue Mar 17 7:38 pm

JWG wrote:
I also had a fever for 7ish days in early March. I'm quite sure it was the flu because there wasn't really much Covid going around at that time. I had a flu shot, but got it very early. Still, my symptoms were pretty mild--fever mostly around 100 (100.4 max). Then when I got better, my fever came back, I went to the doctor and had pneumonia. I've got three days left on my antibiotics--I'm pretty sure it cleared up. When I checked in at the clinic,they gave me the Covid quiz--travel, cruise, etc. The Doctor (PA) never brought up Covid nor did I. Now--I HOPE I had Covid, but I highly doubt it. So I probably have that to look forward to, too.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 499 times

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Mar 17 9:01 pm

I’m almost through two weeks of what I hope has just been a bad cold. It did start with a slight fever, but no significant fatigue. The fever improved until I stopped the NyQuil/DayQuil - then I got sick again and had to take a couple days off work. I have coughed A LOT but no chest pain or shortness of breath, mostly really annoying tickles in my throat. I’ve also been very congested in my nose and sinuses, not typical of covid. I have no known exposure so can’t be tested. And few people I’ve been around have gotten sick.

It’s a little frightening to wonder if I may have had it, or that if I don’t and do get exposed, will having an existing respiratory issue make me a higher risk for a more severe covid infection?

I have a client who told me he was sick with all the covid symptoms in January but his flu test was negative. I find it highly likely the virus has been here a lot longer than we think; we just haven’t had the means to test.

It’s been a surreal few days and I’m sure it is going to get worse before it gets better. But hopefully we can avoid overwhelming our medical facilities with the measures being put in place. As mentioned previously, hopefully we can keep too many business going under and taking the economy with.

JC65
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by JC65 » Tue Mar 17 10:29 pm

https://www.wnem.com/news/michigan-ag-s ... 37ee4.html
Investigators with the AG’s office said the company appears to be exploiting the public fear over COVID-19 and systematically raising prices.

Investigators said Menards doubled the price of cleaning products like bleach last week and significantly raised the price of face masks and including an in-store rebate with the purchase.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times

Post by The Rube » Tue Mar 17 10:42 pm

There's a difference in increasing price (supply and demand) and gouging. Where that line is...I dunno, unless it's an obscene difference. If it doubles overnight? That's pretty obvious, IMO. A rise in prices? Let's take a look.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 319 times

Post by Beauner » Tue Mar 17 11:06 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Mon Mar 16 6:51 pm
I wonder how many guys scheduled their Big V's for Thursday/Friday thinking they could head home and watch NCAA hoops the rest of the weekend?
Same with Masters' weekend.

:shock:
Me. On both weekends (though the Masters was also because I had a buddy planning to come to town to watch a standup comedian at MOA). And i took thursday and friday off for corky's early bird softball tournament. Also postponed.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Wed Mar 18 12:42 am

Beauner wrote:
Tue Mar 17 11:06 pm
Greyeagle wrote:
I wonder how many guys scheduled their Big V's for Thursday/Friday thinking they could head home and watch NCAA hoops the rest of the weekend?

Me. On both weekends (though the Masters was also because I had a buddy planning to come to town to watch a standup comedian at MOA). And i took thursday and friday off for corky's early bird softball tournament. Also postponed.
I scheduled mine to coincide with the British Open.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Wed Mar 18 7:09 am

Bigbeer wrote:
Tue Mar 17 4:53 pm
g-manpuck wrote:
No, I meant what I said. One week ago this pandemic, I f*** hate that word because it causes panic by the mere use of it IMO, health care officials and elected officials were just throwing numbers out there and situations out there to get people to take notice. It elicited either total panic or let's wait and see actions from most people....most...not all. Even in the state of Minnesota it wasn't until later in the week that Governor Walz started to take action. More information was coming in and it started to become more readily available. It is a completely different view finder that we ALL are looking through at this now than a week ago.

And there is still one piece of information that you really have to dig on WHO, CDC, and MN Dept of Health websites to find. That if you contract Covid-19, it isn't necessarily a death sentence if you do not have underlying conditions A B C and D. I think a fair amount of people are living in fear of this virus because they believe if they are infected with it they will die, and then they will transmit it to others and they will die. That isn't the truth, but some people believe that. I understand 100% why they aren't telling people that at every news conference....because Americans are so selfish that they would think it's spring break and run around with their tops off thinking there are no consequences if they are a healthy person who can deal with the symptoms. But there are consequences for everyone who is infected. Carrying and transmitting this virus is the big deal of this virus, but that isn't news to anyone here.

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by gopherguy13 » Wed Mar 18 7:49 am

JC65 wrote:
Tue Mar 17 10:29 pm
https://www.wnem.com/news/michigan-ag-s ... 37ee4.html
Investigators with the AG’s office said the company appears to be exploiting the public fear over COVID-19 and systematically raising prices.

Investigators said Menards doubled the price of cleaning products like bleach last week and significantly raised the price of face masks and including an in-store rebate with the purchase.
Well, Menards can f*** right off.
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by Jupiter » Wed Mar 18 7:59 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Tue Mar 17 9:01 pm
I’m almost through two weeks of what I hope has just been a bad cold. It did start with a slight fever, but no significant fatigue. The fever improved until I stopped the NyQuil/DayQuil - then I got sick again and had to take a couple days off work. I have coughed A LOT but no chest pain or shortness of breath, mostly really annoying tickles in my throat. I’ve also been very congested in my nose and sinuses, not typical of covid. I have no known exposure so can’t be tested. And few people I’ve been around have gotten sick.

It’s a little frightening to wonder if I may have had it, or that if I don’t and do get exposed, will having an existing respiratory issue make me a higher risk for a more severe covid infection?

I have a client who told me he was sick with all the covid symptoms in January but his flu test was negative. I find it highly likely the virus has been here a lot longer than we think; we just haven’t had the means to test.

It’s been a surreal few days and I’m sure it is going to get worse before it gets better. But hopefully we can avoid overwhelming our medical facilities with the measures being put in place. As mentioned previously, hopefully we can keep too many business going under and taking the economy with.
You went to a wedding while sick???

MATT
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by MATT » Wed Mar 18 9:24 am

Beauner wrote:
Greyeagle wrote:

You were planning to do it twice? :shock:

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 416 times

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Mar 18 9:35 am

g-manpuck wrote:
Wed Mar 18 7:09 am
Bigbeer wrote:
Tue Mar 17 4:53 pm
g-manpuck wrote:
No, I meant what I said. One week ago this pandemic, I f*** hate that word because it causes panic by the mere use of it IMO, health care officials and elected officials were just throwing numbers out there and situations out there to get people to take notice. It elicited either total panic or let's wait and see actions from most people....most...not all. Even in the state of Minnesota it wasn't until later in the week that Governor Walz started to take action. More information was coming in and it started to become more readily available. It is a completely different view finder that we ALL are looking through at this now than a week ago.

And there is still one piece of information that you really have to dig on WHO, CDC, and MN Dept of Health websites to find. That if you contract Covid-19, it isn't necessarily a death sentence if you do not have underlying conditions A B C and D. I think a fair amount of people are living in fear of this virus because they believe if they are infected with it they will die, and then they will transmit it to others and they will die. That isn't the truth, but some people believe that. I understand 100% why they aren't telling people that at every news conference....because Americans are so selfish that they would think it's spring break and run around with their tops off thinking there are no consequences if they are a healthy person who can deal with the symptoms. But there are consequences for everyone who is infected. Carrying and transmitting this virus is the big deal of this virus, but that isn't news to anyone here.
I am not sure most people assume getting this is a death sentence - most people I've seen chat about it do not give that indication.

However, there are downstream issues that can be caused and will likely be caused if the number of cases escalates:

1. A severe case of Covid could cause long term reduced lung capacity by 20-30 percent ad in some cases additional signs of organ damage
2. If hospital capacity is compromised, some people that need serious medical care may not be able to get it - Covid related or otherwise.

This doesn't mean anyone needs to panic, but the fact is people need to take this seriously and act accordingly.

btw - my temperature is taken at the entrance of any of my office locations and I have yet to even reach the equivalent of 98F much less 98.6. Weird.
Currently under construction.

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Wed Mar 18 9:46 am

I took my temp every day two weeks ago while sick and mine never got above 97

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Steve MN » Wed Mar 18 9:50 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Wed Mar 18 9:35 am
btw - my temperature is taken at the entrance of any of my office locations and I have yet to even reach the equivalent of 98F much less 98.6. Weird.
Not all that odd. My "normal" temp is in the low 97s. Always makes me wonder whether the usual "100 or higher is a fever" really needs to be "1.5 degrees above your personal normal is a fever" Also, it varies over the day normally, by a degree or two, with low point while you're sleeping, and high in the evening.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Mar 18 9:57 am

The COVID virus becomes more deadly if you develop pneumonia and don’t have access to a ventilator. If we don’t minimize the spread of the virus by isolating ourselves we will have so many cases the hospitals will be turning away critical patients due to lack of resources.

People, who would otherwise be saved, will die. I am not scared of COVID-19 killing me (or my family), but I’d prefer to have ventilators and hospital beds available if we need them.

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Wed Mar 18 10:04 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Mar 18 9:57 am
The COVID virus becomes more deadly if you develop pneumonia and don’t have access to a ventilator. If we don’t minimize the spread of the virus by isolating ourselves we will have so many cases the hospitals will be turning away critical patients due to lack of resources.
Correct. Otherwise our attitude would be to just let everyone catch it now and be done with it. But if we can spread it out over months hopefully we won't overwhelm the health care system.

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Wed Mar 18 10:06 am

MATT wrote:
Wed Mar 18 9:24 am
I am not sure he understood I was referring to vasectomies.....but it does sound like an scene from "The Office"! :)

Snip...snap....snip...SNAP!

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Wed Mar 18 10:22 am

MATT wrote:
Beauner wrote:
Greyeagle wrote:

I was wondering if he got medical advice from Michael Scott...
JWG
[This space for rent]

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 499 times

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Mar 18 10:29 am

Jupiter wrote:
Wed Mar 18 7:59 am
You went to a wedding while sick???
Sick? No. I was a week and a half past the onset of my cold symptoms, no fever, felt fine, but stuffed up sinuses. I did make a point not to share any drinks when asked and let people know I was getting over a cold.

Had I had signs consistent with covid and exposure to someone? Absolutely I would have stayed home.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Mar 18 10:45 am

Norm wrote:
Wed Mar 18 10:04 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Mar 18 9:57 am
Correct. Otherwise our attitude would be to just let everyone catch it now and be done with it. But if we can spread it out over months hopefully we won't overwhelm the health care system.
King County in Washington announced they have acquired a motel which they plan to use as overflow. They have also purchased a floor-heated "tent".

If they are already stretched this thin with only 900 positive infections, it is going overwhelm the system sooner than most people think.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Mar 18 10:46 am

I had an interesting conversation at the grill yesterday with a guy from Houston who thought the corona virus was "just a scam." :shock: :crazy:

These are the people we need to protect ourselves from.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Mar 18 12:02 pm

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Wed Mar 18 12:04 pm

In case you're wondering what "self absorbed" looks like:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/aint-serious ... 01407.html

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Wed Mar 18 12:15 pm

Norm wrote:
Wed Mar 18 12:04 pm

This is why we have to forceably close everything, because people aren't capable of self-managing. Those "kids" are all going to go back to their homes and relatives (since their schools are closed) and infect their parents or grandparents. Shocked there's not an uproar about classes being canceled... :roll:
JWG
[This space for rent]

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Wed Mar 18 12:57 pm

Norm wrote:

Wow.... :shock: I suspect they really think the coronavirus really is a beer.

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Wed Mar 18 1:07 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Mar 18 10:46 am
I had an interesting conversation at the grill yesterday with a guy from Houston who thought the corona virus was "just a scam." :shock: :crazy:

These are the people we need to protect ourselves from.
...forever.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by streakygopher » Wed Mar 18 1:09 pm

The same hypocrites who complain our government isn't doing enough or that our health care system wasn't sufficiently prepared are the same ones spreading the virus. There's no use in explaining the math to them, because they wouldn't get it anyway.

For them, social distancing is what the other guy ought to be doing.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 137 times

Post by Bladepuller » Wed Mar 18 1:29 pm

I went for a brisk 50 minute noon walk around the neighborhood here in East Bethel.
Saw 2 sandhill cranes, 3 dogs w/ 2 in a fenced area, 0 people and cars.
Is this the apocalypse?
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Wed Mar 18 1:33 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Wed Mar 18 1:29 pm
I went for a brisk 50 minute noon walk around the neighborhood here in East Bethel.
Is this the apocalypse?
Only if you see one partridge in a pear tree.
Or the actual four horseman of the apocalypse.

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 357 times

Post by D2D » Wed Mar 18 1:35 pm

Norm wrote:

I saw a doctor on TV this morning who warned that even the young who smoke and (especially) vape are at much greater risk of dying once the virus takes hold in their already damaged lungs. Yet here they are in the video, vaping away. :roll:
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

Superstar
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Superstar » Wed Mar 18 1:37 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Is this the apocalypse?
But no eagles? Hmm. The Rube may have been right. :lol:

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by davescharf » Wed Mar 18 1:40 pm

Superstar wrote:
Wed Mar 18 1:37 pm
Bladepuller wrote:
Is this the apocalypse?
But no eagles? Hmm. The Rube may have been right. :lol:
He's too busy eating steak to care :D
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times

Post by HockeyBum » Wed Mar 18 2:36 pm

I say China owes us a couple trillion dollars when this is all over. Thanks a lot, a-holes. :x

Superstar
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 74 times

Post by Superstar » Wed Mar 18 2:45 pm

Really? Wow.

Composer
Veteran

Post by Composer » Wed Mar 18 2:47 pm

Do we owe everyone else for the Lehman Shock?

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 137 times

Post by Bladepuller » Wed Mar 18 2:50 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Wed Mar 18 2:36 pm
I say China owes us a couple trillion dollars when this is all over. Thanks a lot, a-holes. :x
After being in AZ for a couple weeks I was in awe of how many intermodal container unit trains both the BNSF & the UP run on their southern Transcontinental lines. I was along the old AT&SF / BNSF line more along I-40 / old Route 66 but coming thru KS / OK & TX panhandles it was the UP. Long trains coming and going from the port of Long Beach hauling things that used to be made in the US.
We don't yet know happens when we can't get the components for our US made products because the supply chains have a time lag.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Mar 18 3:20 pm

My wife works in retail, and the local mall is closing til the end of March. She works at a store outside the mall, and as of now, that store is running regular hours and the store is also being used as an online shipping center, so they are fulfilling online orders. It is only a matter of time before they close as well. This could be the death blow to some of stores/bars that were on shaky grounds before.

Composer
Veteran

Post by Composer » Wed Mar 18 3:26 pm

Continual count updates here:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... lian-media

US total cases is increasing 30% per day (exponentially)
At that rate, by March 31st, the cumulative total will be 350,000.
And that is with limited testing. One way to tell how limited our testing is, we have 127 deaths and 106 recovered.
South Korea, which is doing a lot of testing, has 84 deaths and 1540 recovered--a much more palatable ratio.
(Still 5%, but even they aren't testing everybody)

fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by fightclub30 » Wed Mar 18 3:42 pm

People who test positive with no symptoms... when do they get moved to the "Recovered" category?

Why are we testing NBA players with no symptoms, when we cannot even test individuals who have serve symptoms but no travel history (a co-worker of mine)?

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Wed Mar 18 4:01 pm

Composer wrote:
Wed Mar 18 3:26 pm

And that is with limited testing. One way to tell how limited our testing is, we have 127 deaths and 106 recovered.
South Korea, which is doing a lot of testing, has 84 deaths and 1540 recovered--a much more palatable ratio.
Calm down. It won’t be linear.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Wed Mar 18 4:04 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Wed Mar 18 4:01 pm
Composer wrote:

Um....I think that's the concern.... :confused2:

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Wed Mar 18 4:07 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Wed Mar 18 4:04 pm
Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Composer wrote:

If it’s 350k by March 31st I will jump off a bridge with you.

Composer
Veteran

Post by Composer » Wed Mar 18 5:03 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Composer wrote:

I am very calm. The closings should turn the rate down, but for the next week or so, people are already infected, so we won’t see much of a rate change real soon.

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by trixR4kids » Wed Mar 18 5:49 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Wed Mar 18 1:09 pm
The same hypocrites who complain our government isn't doing enough or that our health care system wasn't sufficiently prepared are the same ones spreading the virus. There's no use in explaining the math to them, because they wouldn't get it anyway.

I suppose that's better than spreading the virus and saying that our government is doing enough by declaring it a hoax.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 319 times

Post by Beauner » Wed Mar 18 5:54 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Wed Mar 18 10:06 am
MATT wrote:
I am not sure he understood I was referring to vasectomies.....but it does sound like an scene from "The Office"! :)

Snip...snap....snip...SNAP!

Better safe than sorry ;)
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Wed Mar 18 6:26 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Wed Mar 18 4:07 pm
streakygopher wrote:
Wed Mar 18 4:04 pm
Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Composer wrote:

If it’s 350k by March 31st I will jump off a bridge with you.
Because there won’t be enough tests to get 350k confirmed cases?

MATT
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 59 times

Post by MATT » Wed Mar 18 6:56 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Wed Mar 18 5:49 pm
streakygopher wrote:

I suppose that's better than spreading the virus and saying that our government is doing enough by declaring it a hoax.
It’s pretty clear from the people I see on Facebook, Twitter, etc. that the “government isn’t doing enough” and “this is a hoax” crowds’ Venn diagram looks like this: OO

JC65
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 36 times

Post by JC65 » Wed Mar 18 7:14 pm

MATT wrote:
Wed Mar 18 6:56 pm
It’s pretty clear from the people I see on Facebook, Twitter, etc. that the “government isn’t doing enough” and “this is a hoax” crowds’ Venn diagram looks like this: OO
I don't know, I've seen some people move from "this is a hoax" to "the government isn't doing enough" pretty quickly this last week... Mostly on TV.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Wed Mar 18 7:42 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Wed Mar 18 5:49 pm
streakygopher wrote:

Ding ding ding. We have a winner! :roll:

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by sunbone » Wed Mar 18 7:46 pm

Our company is going to a 32 hour work week and I’m almost positive significant layoffs probably next week. And I feel like this is just the start. Just ugly.

gopherguy06
Veteran
Been liked: 54 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed Mar 18 8:55 pm

Our daycare is still open which I find weird. A lot of parents have pulled their kids out already but strange given the state shut schools down. I know of at least 3-4 others in the area open still

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Mar 18 9:38 pm

My work is busy as all hell. We had to put our paper products on a restricted category, and there's some corpie team that decides which orders get filled. We probably have about 5% of our normal inventory of those products on hand right now. (edit: we're talking thousands of cases of paper products)

The spike in cases isn't necessarily "new" infections. They just hadn't been tested yet. Those people could have had it a day ago, a week ago, who knows? It's increasing, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it's increasing at the rate that the numbers indicate.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 357 times

Post by D2D » Wed Mar 18 10:01 pm

Went to Costco in Maple Grove this afternoon. I have rarely - or maybe never - seen it as empty as it was. The parking lot was at most half full, and there were no lines at the gas pumps. Four other things stood out:

> I was going to buy salmon, but they were all out. In fact, the only fish/seafood they had were scallops at $18/lb and lobster tails at $28/lb. I passed.
> There were literally hundreds and hundreds of cases of bottled water....but no toilet paper (which was NOT a surprise - people are apparently still hoarding it!)
> The food court was take-out only. Not surprising given the Governor's order, but with all the chairs and tables removed that whole area looked very empty.
> At the front of the liquor store they had a large and almost imposing display of....you guessed it, Corona beer! I asked the clerk and he said it was selling really well, which surprised me a little. I passed.

All in all a worthwhile and much quicker trip than I was expecting.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

Kelor
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Kelor » Wed Mar 18 10:15 pm

A very interesting article from Bloomberg.

"More than 99% of Italy’s coronavirus fatalities were people who suffered from previous medical conditions, according to a study by the country’s national health authority.

After deaths from the virus reached more than 2,500, with a 150% increase in the past week, health authorities have been combing through data to provide clues to help combat the spread of the disease.

Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte’s government is evaluating whether to extend a nationwide lockdown beyond the beginning of April, daily La Stampa reported Wednesday. Italy has more than 31,500 confirmed cases of the illness.

Italy Coronavirus Deaths
The new study could provide insight into why Italy’s death rate, at about 8% of total infected people, is higher than in other countries.

The Rome-based institute has examined medical records of about 18% of the country’s coronavirus fatalities, finding that just three victims, or 0.8% of the total, had no previous pathology. Almost half of the victims suffered from at least three prior illnesses and about a fourth had either one or two previous conditions.

More than 75% had high blood pressure, about 35% had diabetes and a third suffered from heart disease."

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/arti ... ssion=true

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Mar 18 10:18 pm

So, if this is all correct, COVID is basically PEDs for previous illnesses? Being serious here...

If that is the case....hooboy.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Kelor
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Kelor » Wed Mar 18 10:22 pm

The Rube wrote:
Wed Mar 18 10:18 pm
So, if this is all correct, COVID is basically PEDs for previous illnesses? Being serious here...

If that is the case....hooboy.
I'm going to be real careful in my comments here, because I don't believe anything I'm reading at this point, but IF it's at all accurate, it sure makes you wonder.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Wed Mar 18 10:22 pm

"More than 75% had high blood pressure, 35% had diabetes and a third suffered from heart disease" pretty much describes the elderly. They commonly have one, if not all three, of those conditions.