Coronavirus discussion

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 267 times

Coronavirus discussion

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Mar 15 3:34 pm

Since it appears that a ton of things are going to close soon-- schools, restaurants, stores, work places, etc, I thought maybe we can have a main thread to put all of the misc coronavirus stuff that doesn't directly affect one of the other threads. As always, please no political discussions.

* Mods feel free to delete this thread if you don't see it necessary.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 247 times

Re: Coronavirus discussion

Post by The Rube » Sun Mar 15 4:08 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Sun Mar 15 3:34 pm
Since it appears that a ton of things are going to close soon-- schools, restaurants, stores, work places, etc, I thought maybe we can have a main thread to put all of the misc coronavirus stuff that doesn't directly affect one of the other threads. As always, please no political discussions.

* Mods feel free to delete this thread if you don't see it necessary.
OH and IL are closing all restaurants and bars, for the most part. Delivery and pickup services only. No in-person/sit-down service.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Mar 15 4:13 pm

FED cuts interest rates to near ZERO

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 122 times

Post by D2D » Sun Mar 15 4:38 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sun Mar 15 4:08 pm
OH and IL are closing all restaurants and bars, for the most part. Delivery and pickup services only. No in-person/sit-down service.
Received an email from a favorite local "sit-down" restaurant of ours that they are now offering pickup service whereby they bring your order out to your car when it's ready. If Minnesota follows OH and IL expect more traditional sit-down restaurants here to follow suit.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by Kelly Red » Sun Mar 15 4:54 pm

If they are not asked to close I think we’ll start seeing it anyway. We just returned from Wash DC. Friday night we went to a very popular Cuban restaurant and when we walked in at 6 we were the only people there!! 6:00 Happy Hour on a Friday!! The place would normally be packed. By the time we left, maybe there were 12-15 people. Restaurants can’t stay open even if they want to with no customers.
If liars pants did catch on fire, watching the news would be so much more fun!

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Mar 15 4:56 pm

For those that live in the Roseville area and have kids.

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by davescharf » Sun Mar 15 5:12 pm

We got a note from Robbinsdale day Saying that the before and after school care is still being evaluated.

I’m having a hard time understanding why they’d close the school but still allow 150 kids be together In The school. Maybe they’ll eventually cancel that but I do t get the logic
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by Orion » Sun Mar 15 5:27 pm

davescharf wrote:
Sun Mar 15 5:12 pm
We got a note from Robbinsdale day Saying that the before and after school care is still being evaluated.

I’m having a hard time understanding why they’d close the school but still allow 150 kids be together In The school. Maybe they’ll eventually cancel that but I do t get the logic
I think because they realize that for most of those kids, it's either stay home alone while mom / dad go to work or they offer child care. Many in that district do not have another option. Its not a decision I would like to be forced to make.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Mar 15 5:30 pm

CA follows OH and IL, closing all bars/restaurants/breweries for in-person service. Pickup/delivery only.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Sun Mar 15 6:02 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Sun Mar 15 4:13 pm
FED cuts interest rates to near ZERO
Every time the federal funds rate is cut, I get lots of people asking if it means mortgage rates also go down. The short answer is no. Car loans, personal loans, and credit card rates will get cheaper but mortgage rates are unaffected. That being said, as soon as mortgage lenders work through the current glut of refinance applications, a few mortgage experts are predicting we'll see 30 year fixed rate loans under 3%.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun Mar 15 6:07 pm

Orion wrote:
Sun Mar 15 5:27 pm
davescharf wrote:

I think because they realize that for most of those kids, it's either stay home alone while mom / dad go to work or they offer child care. Many in that district do not have another option. Its not a decision I would like to be forced to make.
But then why close school? Is 500 kids vs 125 a game changer?

I’m just really curious how it’s different

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Mar 15 6:24 pm

The school district closest to me is closed tomorrow, then open on Tuesday until 1:15 and then closed the state mandated time after that until March 27th. I don't understand the logic behind being closed tomorrow and then open part of Tuesday.

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Sun Mar 15 6:26 pm

davescharf wrote:
Sun Mar 15 6:07 pm
Orion wrote:
davescharf wrote:

My guess is it's all about slowing the spread. Those 125 may spread it but hopefully not the other 375. Definitely not ideal
Last edited by Orion on Sun Mar 15 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Mar 15 6:55 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Sun Mar 15 6:24 pm
The school district closest to me is closed tomorrow, then open on Tuesday until 1:15 and then closed the state mandated time after that until March 27th. I don't understand the logic behind being closed tomorrow and then open part of Tuesday.
A lot of teachers who were not previously set up for it are struggling thru setting up online learning. My guess would be that the teachers are working thru it on Monday, then getting with their students on Tuesday. MN announced this morning they were closing so I’m sure some kids have to go to school to get books, laptops, etc. anyway.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 374 times
Been liked: 464 times

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Mar 15 7:05 pm

davescharf wrote:
Sun Mar 15 6:07 pm
Orion wrote:
davescharf wrote:

School isn’t really “optional” whereas day care is. I would agree though, if you’re really trying to slow the spread they should cancel daycare but I’m sure some parents cannot afford to not work so they have a choice... With risks of course.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Mar 15 7:06 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Sun Mar 15 6:55 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Sun Mar 15 6:24 pm
A lot of teachers who were not previously set up for it are struggling thru setting up online learning. My guess would be that the teachers are working thru it on Monday, then getting with their students on Tuesday. MN announced this morning they were closing so I’m sure some kids have to go to school to get books, laptops, etc. anyway.
That makes sense. Our district has used E learning days this year for snow days, so at least they are somewhat used to that.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun Mar 15 8:20 pm

E-learning last year was bad enough the entire school board in Robbinsdale should have been fired. It will enjoyable when they need to do it again in a couple weeks

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 352 times

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Mar 15 8:53 pm

Anoka Hennipen does not have E learning so this will be interesting.

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by HockeyBum » Sun Mar 15 9:10 pm

My kids were on Spring Break last week, and now they will be off for at least the next 2 with the shutdown. My question is... will they need to extend the school year to make up these missing weeks? Our district doesn't get out until early June as it is.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by g-manpuck » Mon Mar 16 7:15 am

Here is the list of how things are affecting my family

-So far my job is fine, we will see what today brings though. Xcel Energy is going to start manning their power plant here in Mankato by having a skeleton crew work 7 days on/7 day off and workers will stay at the plant during those 7 days. They are shutting down subcontract work, which affects three of our employees who are/were onsite there. My weekend gig with Pepsi has been strange. Seeing the backrooms of grocery stores is just weird. No water or toilet paper. Walmart went through 10 pallets of bottled water in 8 hours on Saturday. Pepsi of Mankato is officially out of bottled water and Walmart said that stores are only getting a set amount throughout the week. The pop business though is staying at a level I would call normal for this time of year.

-My wife's jobs are hitting the fan. Her full time job is with Headstart. With schools shutting down many of those sites will be shut down now. My wife is in charge of family and community engagement so a big part of her job is to help families find and sign up for services through MNVAC. She was in near tears most of yesterday thinking about the families affected by sites shutting down. My wife's part time job as a waitress took a massive hit this past weekend. Without hockey she made less than a $100 in tips of what she could have made closer to $500. The restaurant was dead as well. The Loose Moose and Mettler's is a family owned business that could be devastated by shutting down for even a week. Without that part time job the ability to pay some of our own bills will be tough.

-My daughter is now trying to figure out and plan how to college from home. Winona State is going totally online when they resume classes next week. The college sent out an email to tell students to not come back to the college, stay home. Well, my daughter is going over to Winona to get her fish, textbooks, and all her clothes today. After that we will just wait to hear from the college to see how they will handle move out.

-My son has the next two weeks off like everyone else. Several of his teachers have already emailed about online learning so it seems that plan is in the works. The tough part will be helping him be accountable for getting homework or doing homework instead of playing on the xBox all day. Also for the foreseeable future the Lancers Marching Band is shutdown. Which really stinks because last week a Lancer passed away in his sleep. His visitation was yesterday and those kids have leaned on each other this past week a lot. Without having Lancers some of them will have a tough time dealing with his loss.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Just so much going through my head during the day.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Mar 16 7:43 am

My daughter is shutdown and has to work from home till the end of April. This is getting really bad.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Mon Mar 16 8:00 am

Part of me thinks I should just try to start my 4 week time off now. We have two working from home, our 10 year old not in school, a contractor working on our basement, and the cleaning lady scheduled to come later this week. I doubt I'll get much done before I go

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 392 times

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Mar 16 8:09 am

Duterte places Luzon under ‘enhanced community quarantine.’ What does this mean?

Exactly what does it mean? Unfortunately the official announcement was not very clear, although it sounds like most public transportation options, government offices and restaurants/bars will be closed. Grocery stores are ok. I don't know yet if any of my 3 work sites will remain open. Many of my employees will be able to work from home if needed, but it's possible at least half won't be (due to contractual issues) and the impact of that also remains uknown.

This should not kill my contract but will impact bonus potential. If that's the worst of it we can survive.

Kids for now will school from home using Google classroom, etc.

Earthquakes, volcanoes, now this. Locusts next?
Currently under construction.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Mar 16 8:41 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Mon Mar 16 8:09 am
Duterte places Luzon under ‘enhanced community quarantine.’ What does this mean?

Exactly what does it mean? Unfortunately the official announcement was not very clear, although it sounds like most public transportation options, government offices and restaurants/bars will be closed. Grocery stores are ok. I don't know yet if any of my 3 work sites will remain open. Many of my employees will be able to work from home if needed, but it's possible at least half won't be (due to contractual issues) and the impact of that also remains uknown.

This should not kill my contract but will impact bonus potential. If that's the worst of it we can survive.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by george » Mon Mar 16 8:47 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Mon Mar 16 8:09 am

You're going to get the grasshoppers that St. Urho drove out of Finland on this date.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Mar 16 11:40 am

I went to the local farmers elevator today, as I usually do once a week to shoot the bull. Had to fill out a health assessment form before I could join the other 4 farmers and gossip. :lol: I live in the middle of nowhere MN and the elevator is in a town of 100 people. It is getting crazy.

QueenofGopherHockey
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 181 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by QueenofGopherHockey » Mon Mar 16 11:47 am

Relating to this topic, a friend took her hubby to Jax's fabulous Brunch yesterday and heard from some of the staff that Jax will be closing soon. :shock:
Not enough business coming in. :(

I love Jax but it was just for special occasions!

Dang!!

QoGH
10 APR 2014 : .06 -- BEST. GAME. EVER.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by Norm » Mon Mar 16 12:03 pm

I had my annual physical this morning. I called the clinic first and they told me there's no reason not to come in. So I went and the Dr told me not to leave home again until this lets up.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 17 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Mon Mar 16 12:08 pm

Norm wrote:
Mon Mar 16 12:03 pm
I had my annual physical this morning. I called the clinic first and they told me there's no reason not to come in. So I went and the Dr told me not to leave home again until this lets up.
So July?

GoldenRube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Post by GoldenRube » Mon Mar 16 12:14 pm

Went to Cub this morning and some empty shelves but plenty of food to go around. The check out lady told me that the other day two ladies started fighting because one allegedly stole toilet paper from the others cart. Fighting over toilet paper. Only thing spreading faster than the virus is stupidity.
No matter how badass you are, if a toddler hands you a ringing toy phone you answer it.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Mar 16 12:31 pm

I have to go to cub after work so can give a full report on the the status in Eagan later....

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by HockeyBum » Mon Mar 16 12:37 pm

I'm about 1000x more concerned about what the economic shock of closing everything down will do to our economy than I am about the actual virus itself.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 913 times
Been liked: 631 times

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Mar 16 12:48 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Mar 16 12:31 pm
I have to go to cub after work so can give a full report on the the status in Eagan later....
I went grocery shopping on Sunday morning and I realized this morning I forgot to buy two critical items, tonic water and limes so I need to stop on my way home for these critical staples.... :shots:
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Maize
Veteran
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Maize » Mon Mar 16 1:49 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Mon Mar 16 12:48 pm

I went grocery shopping on Sunday morning and I realized this morning I forgot to buy two critical items, tonic water and limes so I need to stop on my way home for these critical staples.... :shots:
Just because we have Covid-19 now doesn't mean malaria isn't still out there. Better safe than sorry.

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Mon Mar 16 1:54 pm

I received an email from my dentist's office today advising that they are postponing and rescheduling their near-term appointments (emergencies excepted). I had a routine appointment scheduled for tomorrow afternoon, so not much notice...

Sioux Suck
Rookie
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Sioux Suck » Mon Mar 16 2:00 pm

D2D wrote:
Mon Mar 16 1:54 pm
I received an email from my dentist's office today advising that they are postponing and rescheduling their near-term appointments (emergencies excepted). I had a routine appointment scheduled for tomorrow afternoon, so not much notice...
Minnesota Dental Association sent out an email advising all dental providers to suspend all non-emergent care for two weeks starting March 17. Today in our office there has been a lot of routine care cancels, but TONS of toothache emergencies (we take walk-ins). So...yeah, dental community is in an uproar, just like everyone else. If you have an appointment with your dentist for routine care and you aren't in pain, please call and cancel now. I know that our office will try to have at least one dentist working for emergency patients, so they avoid the ER where the sick people are.

Edit: Took the entire last week of March off previously for vacation and possible regional trip. Kinda good timing for a change

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Zwak » Mon Mar 16 2:08 pm

Obviously I feel for all affected by the virus. It stinks all the way around. Does anyone know of anyone who has an upcoming wedding planned and what they are thinking about doing? I have a cousin getting married the first weekend in June. It's just outside of the 8 week window that the CDC is recommending cancelling events of 50 or more people. Certainly things could be worse for them but I still feel for them.
GPL's official source of trivia.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Mar 16 2:44 pm

Really dumb question, maybe it isn't dumb.

While perusing FB, here and other various locations, there seems to be a VAST differing of opinions on how this is all being handled. Some people are still arguing that "its just the flu", which I understand why they say that, but I also understand that there is no vaccine or preventative shots like the current flu. Some people (rightfully so) are concerned about the economy and there are others that are just upset that things they have going on are getting cancelled.

I am not even sure what to think at this point. I just started my 6 week parental leave this week and I even get differing opinions from people if I should have started it now or waited until this was all over with.

Baseball has been on hold, spring hockey is up in the air...I guess I will get lots of time in my shop over the next 6 weeks and probably end up drinking way to much beer...
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Mon Mar 16 2:49 pm

Problem is that if the preventive measures taken now work and this doesn't become a big deal people will say ' I told you so'. It's a catch 22. My personal opinion is that most rational people will look back on this and be understanding

Norm
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 116 times

Post by Norm » Mon Mar 16 2:53 pm

This moron has 150,000 followers. Makes an old guy like me wonder what this world is coming to.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/influencer-f ... 00257.html

Superstar
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Superstar » Mon Mar 16 2:56 pm

Whioux Suck wrote:
Mon Mar 16 2:00 pm
D2D wrote:
Mon Mar 16 1:54 pm
Minnesota Dental Association sent out an email advising all dental providers to suspend all non-emergent care for two weeks starting March 17. Today in our office there has been a lot of routine care cancels, but TONS of toothache emergencies (we take walk-ins). So...yeah, dental community is in an uproar, just like everyone else. If you have an appointment with your dentist for routine care and you aren't in pain, please call and cancel now. I know that our office will try to have at least one dentist working for emergency patients, so they avoid the ER where the sick people are.

Edit: Took the entire last week of March off previously for vacation and possible regional trip. Kinda good timing for a change
Funny...I chipped my tooth this wknd and called this morning to make an appointment. I figured it'd be weeks out. They're getting me in first thing in the morning. And haven't called to cancel otherwise.

Superstar
Golden
Golden

Post by Superstar » Mon Mar 16 3:04 pm

We (Life Time) just got word we're closing all our clubs starting at 8pm (local time zones). Can't remember how many clubs we have but it's around 150 in the US and Canada. And at corporate we've been told we can work from home indefinitely as long as we communicate with our teams.

This is all just so bizarre. I mean, it's an introvert's dream to have an excuse not to be around people but dang.

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 33 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Mar 16 3:04 pm

Zwak wrote:
Mon Mar 16 2:08 pm
Obviously I feel for all affected by the virus. It stinks all the way around. Does anyone know of anyone who has an upcoming wedding planned and what they are thinking about doing? I have a cousin getting married the first weekend in June. It's just outside of the 8 week window that the CDC is recommending cancelling events of 50 or more people. Certainly things could be worse for them but I still feel for them.
I have a friend at the gym who has a wedding next month. Not sure what they are doing. There are a couple of friends in June/July who are waiting right now, so will have to see.

DX on here still had his wedding this weekend. NOt sure if anyone attended.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Mon Mar 16 3:05 pm

Superstar wrote:
Mon Mar 16 3:04 pm
We (Life Time) just got word we're closing all our clubs starting at 8pm (local time zones). Can't remember how many clubs we have but it's around 150 in the US and Canada. And at corporate we've been told we can work from home indefinitely as long as we communicate with our teams.

This is all just so bizarre. I mean, it's an introvert's dream to have an excuse not to be around people but dang.
I went to the gym (Lifetime) last Tuesday. As I was there I was thinking this was a bad idea. No matter how many times you clean, there will be some idiot who coughs or sneezes on something.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Mar 16 3:08 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Zwak wrote:
Mon Mar 16 2:08 pm
I have a friend at the gym who has a wedding next month. Not sure what they are doing. There are a couple of friends in June/July who are waiting right now, so will have to see.

DX on here still had his wedding this weekend. NOt sure if anyone attended.
They did send out an email kindly asking anyone who was sick to stay home.

There were a few no shows but it was a great time. We were told by one member of the wedding party we should rent ourselves out for receptions because our group was so much fun. 😂

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by g-manpuck » Mon Mar 16 3:11 pm

The Mankato YMCA just sent out an email that they are closing until March 30th. A few restaurants are going to delivery only. With the announcement of a positive case here in Blue Earth County this is going to really ramp up the panic...not sure how much higher it can go. Rumors are abound that there is zero toilet paper in Mankato; I can only confirm that Menards, Cub on the westside and Walmart are out today.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

GoldenRube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Post by GoldenRube » Mon Mar 16 3:23 pm

Sometime this summer you are going to go to a garage sale and they will be selling extra toilet paper and soup.....
No matter how badass you are, if a toddler hands you a ringing toy phone you answer it.

fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 42 times

Post by fightclub30 » Mon Mar 16 3:25 pm

Superstar wrote:

Will they refund my wife's $129/month membership while they are closed? Or is it like stopping your account when you have a medical requirement - requires 30 advance notice, next month payment in full, $25 admin fee every month, and then a $99 re-activation fee?

I'm not bitter with them at all...

Superstar
Golden
Golden

Post by Superstar » Mon Mar 16 3:38 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Mon Mar 16 3:25 pm
Superstar wrote:

Will they refund my wife's $129/month membership while they are closed? Or is it like stopping your account when you have a medical requirement - requires 30 advance notice, next month payment in full, $25 admin fee every month, and then a $99 re-activation fee?

From the official message that should be going out:
"Your account will be credited for the number of days the club is closed."

fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 42 times

Post by fightclub30 » Mon Mar 16 3:41 pm

Superstar wrote:
Mon Mar 16 3:38 pm
fightclub30 wrote:
Mon Mar 16 3:25 pm
Superstar wrote:

From the official message that should be going out:
"Your account will be credited for the number of days the club is closed."
That's good, then. I am kind of surprised by that.

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Mon Mar 16 3:47 pm

Minneapolis with a City Emergency to close all bars/restaurants at noon Tuesday and just allow pick up/delivery.

Walz with another press conference at 5 PM and rumor is he will announce statewide closure of all bars/restaurants except for pick up/delivery.

JC65
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 48 times

Post by JC65 » Mon Mar 16 3:54 pm

My employer has a large presence in the Mall of America. The word on the street was that the Mall was open and the amusement park (still camp snoopy to me) was going to be open until Wednesday.

Stores had been told they can close with no penalty but it was being left up to individual stores.

The food court was open as of today per the slack discussion (I'm, thankfully, not in the mall)

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Mon Mar 16 4:21 pm

This might be the most drastic action taken so far. Shelter-in-Place for three weeks? I hope everyone stocked up on toilet paper!

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... r-in-place

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Mar 16 4:24 pm

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 62 times

Post by gopherguy13 » Mon Mar 16 4:38 pm

Gopherguy05 wrote:
Mon Mar 16 3:47 pm
Minneapolis with a City Emergency to close all bars/restaurants at noon Tuesday and just allow pick up/delivery.

Walz with another press conference at 5 PM and rumor is he will announce statewide closure of all bars/restaurants except for pick up/delivery.
You gotta wonder what they're going to do, if anything, to help these bars and restaurants. My roommate's girlfriend works at Brits and apparently they were told that if Brits is shutdown for a month they might just not reopen it... I'm sure there will be countless other examples.
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by 00xtremeninja » Mon Mar 16 4:46 pm

My mom got wind today that Wisconsin is possibly going to implement a state wide quarantine for two to three weeks. She said her employer during that time is going to pay half her salary and then the govt pay the other half. She works for a place much like Gertens and is a higher up in management, so shes not so much worried about the time off and being paid, but how they will divide the responsibility of having folks water and take care of the product while closed because if their whole inventory dies, that store is going belly up because spring into summer is their peak season and thats whats growing in the greenhouses.
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

gopher6
Veteran
Been liked: 13 times

Post by gopher6 » Mon Mar 16 5:48 pm

Lifetime Fitness closed nation wide due to coronavirus

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Mar 16 5:58 pm

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Mar 16 6:51 pm

I wonder how many guys scheduled their Big V's for Thursday/Friday thinking they could head home and watch NCAA hoops the rest of the weekend?
Same with Masters' weekend.

:shock:

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Mon Mar 16 6:52 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Mon Mar 16 2:44 pm
Really dumb question, maybe it isn't dumb.

While perusing FB, here and other various locations, there seems to be a VAST differing of opinions on how this is all being handled. Some people are still arguing that "its just the flu", which I understand why they say that, but I also understand that there is no vaccine or preventative shots like the current flu. Some people (rightfully so) are concerned about the economy and there are others that are just upset that things they have going on are getting cancelled.

I am not even sure what to think at this point. I just started my 6 week parental leave this week and I even get differing opinions from people if I should have started it now or waited until this was all over with.

Baseball has been on hold, spring hockey is up in the air...I guess I will get lots of time in my shop over the next 6 weeks and probably end up drinking way to much beer...
It’s the lung functions that are scary and what can quickly put hospitals in bind. Transmission isn’t fully nailed down. So in that way it’s scarier than flu, esp as many people who aren’t elderly are requiring care in some locations

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Mar 16 7:42 pm

My family decided on Saturday to pack up the car and drive to the beach and quarantine ourselves in the warm sun (FL panhandle).

And as we sit on this porch drinking cocktails the radio station we are listening to is ABSOLUTELY KILLING IT. Great tune after great tune From country hits to 80s to grunge. I don’t recall enjoying the radio so much.

102.1 The Wave. Look it up!

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by JWG » Mon Mar 16 7:53 pm

Desperate for live entertainment I turned on Monday Night Raw...
They did 20 minutes of live stuff and are now showing the January Royal Rumble match. Oh well...
JWG
[This space for rent]

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 95 times

Post by sunbone » Mon Mar 16 7:55 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Mar 16 7:42 pm
My family decided on Saturday to pack up the car and drive to the beach and quarantine ourselves in the warm sun (FL panhandle).

And as we sit on this porch drinking cocktails the radio station we are listening to is ABSOLUTELY KILLING IT. Great tune after great tune From country hits to 80s to grunge. I don’t recall enjoying the radio so much.

102.1 The Wave. Look it up!
We go to Destin every spring and listen to The Wave. :dup:

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by Bigbeer » Mon Mar 16 8:36 pm

Norm wrote:
Mon Mar 16 2:53 pm
This moron has 150,000 followers. Makes an old guy like me wonder what this world is coming to.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/influencer-f ... 00257.html
Must have spilled her White Claw on there....prolly cleaner than her phone anyway
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Mar 16 8:54 pm

So Cub was not crazy but definitely much busier than normal this time of night. Of the things I normally get that were mostly gone or just down to the spendier versions were carrots, spinach, and bell peppers. I eat yams so that worked out cuz regular potatoes and onions were gone. Canned goods and frozen veggies gone unless you like okra or mustard greens. I was sad I couldn’t get frozen cherries, those are my nightly dessert. I eat Ezekiel bread so found the secret frozen bread stash, of course my preferred style was gone. No chicken, pork, or turkey save a few less desirable cuts. Zero eggs. Egg whites from a carton will do for now I guess.

I should be good for a couple weeks but I usually eat fresh meats and produce so I’ll probably have to have a few more PB&J sandwiches in the coming weeks. Sarpinos will probably make an extra trip or two to the house as well.

Although if a liquid diet can suffice, we are good for at least two months. 😆

I just don’t get it (well, I do, people are stupid). Buy what you normally do - I would presume most people shop every one to two weeks. Then there’s enough for ALL!

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Mar 16 8:57 pm

The one in Har Mar was not too bad. I stopped into Chianti Grill for last call...literally. For at least the next couple weeks.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Mar 16 8:59 pm

Most companies are on high alert and producing, but the hoarders are clearing the shelves out and they can’t keep up. I’m sure grocery stores will stay open but the shelves look terrible everywhere.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Mar 16 9:32 pm

That's when you dip into places like Kwik Trip, etc, who actually don't have bad food (like burgers and their ribeyes). They're more a mini-mart than gas-station, especially the one off Cliff Road/77.

My company's paper and personal protection equipment supply is almost completely depleted. We're talking thousands of cases of this stuff.

Many smaller businesses might not survive this. The best advice I've heard is if you can't do take-out/delivery (or don't feel like having that product at this particular time), buy gift cards for future use, to keep that business' cash flow going.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Mar 16 9:35 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Mon Mar 16 8:59 pm
Most companies are on high alert and producing, but the hoarders are clearing the shelves out and they can’t keep up. I’m sure grocery stores will stay open but the shelves look terrible everywhere.
People can only hoard for so long. Eventually people will figure out that they aren’t wiping their asses any more today than they were a month ago.

Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Armadillo » Mon Mar 16 9:42 pm

What surprised me at Hy Vee in Brooklyn Park yesterday was all of the people with mass quantities of bottled water in their carts. As far as I can tell, there's no fear of the water supply being affected by this, unlike in a natural disaster situation.
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Mon Mar 16 9:42 pm

The Rube wrote:
Mon Mar 16 9:32 pm
The best advice I've heard is if you can't do take-out/delivery (or don't feel like having that product at this particular time), buy gift cards for future use, to keep that business' cash flow going.
Somewhat risky because if the business doesn't survive their gift cards will be worthless. Better off patronizing those places with take-out/delivery service.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Mar 16 9:51 pm

Sounds like plenty of restaurants are offering free lunch meals to kids staying at home who would otherwise receive free lunch at school. All on the honor system. Show up and ask for free kids meal and they will hand it over no questions asked.

Bravo to those companies who are themselves facing financial harm.

My kids attend a school with 60-70% free/reduced lunch. Many don’t realize the burden these families face when schools close. Not sure how many of these families will figure out how to get to work when their kids have no place to go for the day.

Interesting times.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Mar 16 9:51 pm

D2D wrote:
Mon Mar 16 9:42 pm
The Rube wrote:
Mon Mar 16 9:32 pm
The best advice I've heard is if you can't do take-out/delivery (or don't feel like having that product at this particular time), buy gift cards for future use, to keep that business' cash flow going.
Somewhat risky because if the business doesn't survive their gift cards will be worthless. Better off patronizing those places with take-out/delivery service.
That is better, but if they can't offer that/can't implement it...there's a mom-n-pop diner in my area that doesn't do that (as far as I know). One of those 6am-2pm places, old school...places like that are the ones that are really in danger.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Mon Mar 16 11:44 pm

The Rube wrote:
Mon Mar 16 9:51 pm
...there's a mom-n-pop diner in my area that doesn't do that (as far as I know). One of those 6am-2pm places, old school...places like that are the ones that are really in danger.
Yeah that was my point...the fact that they "are really in danger" and likely will not survive the forced closure. In that case they wouldn't be around to honor any gift cards they sell. Risky purchase, unless you're willing to treat it as "a donation to a good cause" if they do close up shop.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Mar 16 11:59 pm

D2D wrote:
Mon Mar 16 11:44 pm
The Rube wrote:
Mon Mar 16 9:51 pm
...there's a mom-n-pop diner in my area that doesn't do that (as far as I know). One of those 6am-2pm places, old school...places like that are the ones that are really in danger.
Yeah that was my point...the fact that they "are really in danger" and likely will not survive the forced closure. In that case they wouldn't be around to honor any gift cards they sell. Risky purchase, unless you're willing to treat it as "a donation to a good cause" if they do close up shop.
I'm willing. I can say I tried.

TheRube33 on UnTappd