18th Anniversary: Never Forget

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 48 times

18th Anniversary: Never Forget

Post by The Rube » Tue Sep 10 10:03 pm

Link to a "live" convo/thread. A user saved this from USCHO and is still hosting the site, thankfully. Long read, but man...it's.....oof.

http://www.nmubaseball.net/uscho911/What%20The%20Pg1.htm
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 19 times

Re: 18th Anniversary: Never Forget

Post by davescharf » Tue Sep 10 10:04 pm

Amazing that kids graduating after this school year weren’t alive on 9/11
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Sep 10 10:06 pm

I was in 6th grade. I feel old. I could only make it through like three pages of that thread it's too crazy. I was too young to think deeply into what was happening or possible.
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
103 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Sep 10 10:12 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Tue Sep 10 10:06 pm
I was in 6th grade. I feel old. I could only make it through like three pages of that thread it's too crazy. I was too young to think deeply into what was happening or possible.
That was a week after I started my current job. Feels odd to say, I knew nothing until on my way to work, and I thought, "Huh, Tom Barnard sounds REALLY weird today." Not even kidding. Started flipping radio stations like crazy until I found out what was going on.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Sep 10 10:25 pm

For some reason I had my TV set to come on as my alarm that morning. I rarely did that. I got up and looked at the tv, still half asleep as I walked past as the second plane hit, wondering why they were showing a movie on the local news channel at that time of the morning. It wasn’t until I came back from the bathroom and saw that it actually was the news that reality hit me. I was so glued to the tv I barely made it to class on time only to have it canceled a few minutes later.

I went to the 9/11 museum last year when we were out there for the game at Madison Square Garden. There is an unbelievable amount of stuff there, a lot of it really difficult to see. I highly encourage anyone to go there if you find yourself in New York.

We should never forget.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Tue Sep 10 10:26 pm

I had landed in Houston the night before. I was supposed to have 3 job interviews that week and be in 4 different cities over 6 days. I made it back home to Colorado Springs a week later and barely made my friend’s wedding in the 15th here in the Cities.

The job interview in Houston was by far the weirdest I’ll ever witness regardless of which side of the table I’m on. I was still Active Duty Air Force and everything was about what I thought we were about to do next. Dinner that night with the Marines and Army Rangers was really interesting too as we started speculating what might happen

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Tue Sep 10 10:28 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Tue Sep 10 10:25 pm
For some reason I had my TV set to come on as my alarm that morning. I rarely did that. I got up and looked at the tv, still half asleep as I walked past as the second plane hit, wondering why they were showing a movie on the local news channel at that time of the morning. It wasn’t until I came back from the bathroom and saw that it actually was the news that reality hit me. I was so glued to the tv I barely made it to class on time only to have it canceled a few minutes later.

I went to the 9/11 museum last year when we were out there for the game at Madison Square Garden. There is an unbelievable amount of stuff there, a lot of it really difficult to see. I highly encourage anyone to go there if you find yourself in New York.

We should never forget.
I want to go there. We drove to Hershey a few years ago but couldn’t stop at the Flight 93 Memorial...i was going to stop there 2 years ago as well but then the planned adoption in Philly fell through.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Sep 11 3:31 am

I was also listening to the KQMS. I was pulled over for speeding on a side street in Robbinsdale and kept the radio on when he the cop was in his car. He must have heard about it as well because he came back in about 2 minutes, handed my ID back, said drive more carefully and left.

When I got to work (Carlson Marketing Group at the time) they turned on the giant TV in the cafe and had it on CNN the entire day. Most people were completely useless when it came to work that day outside of client calls.

The worst part is that my wife was a trainer at the time working for Ryan Air. She had flown with a new class to Boston and was to fly out that morning to Ireland. I did not hear from her well into that evening when she was finally able to call me from Dublin safe and sound. That was the most awful feeling for that length of time my entire life and I'll never forget it.
Currently under construction.

sec 16 row16 seat 16 17
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 10 times

Post by sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 » Wed Sep 11 5:26 am

was down town working at northwest operation center the glass building on Washington watching on there giant tv and hearing someone say that a plane hit the sears tower in Chicago which was false thank god

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by g-manpuck » Wed Sep 11 7:42 am

I was re shingling a rental house for my boss at the time working with a former Marine who was a part of the first Marines over in Iraq for Desert Storm. The radio broke the news and it was a little scary to watch my co-worker start reliving Desert Storm right there on the roof. We both called it a day since he was not able to focus at all. I went over to my parents house where my Dad was working in his office and he and I sat there watching the morning develop live on tv after the second plane hit. Like it has been said by so many, this was our defining moment of my generations lives. My parents had JFK and now my generation had 9/11.

My wife was very fearful of what the military response was going to be since her brother was in the Air Force at the time. He was just stationed at Mountain Home, Idaho after returning from his two years in Japan. He knew that because of the unit he was tied to that he would be deployed early if/when America would deploy. He ended up in Qatar shortly after 9/11 to help with setting up an air base there. He did two more tours in Baghdad deploying out of Hill Air Force Base in Utah before he retired out of the Air Force.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Sep 11 7:59 am

g-manpuck wrote:
Wed Sep 11 7:42 am
I was re shingling a rental house for my boss at the time working with a former Marine who was a part of the first Marines over in Iraq for Desert Storm. The radio broke the news and it was a little scary to watch my co-worker start reliving Desert Storm right there on the roof. We both called it a day since he was not able to focus at all. I went over to my parents house where my Dad was working in his office and he and I sat there watching the morning develop live on tv after the second plane hit. Like it has been said by so many, this was our defining moment of my generations lives. My parents had JFK and now my generation had 9/11.

My wife was very fearful of what the military response was going to be since her brother was in the Air Force at the time. He was just stationed at Mountain Home, Idaho after returning from his two years in Japan. He knew that because of the unit he was tied to that he would be deployed early if/when America would deploy. He ended up in Qatar shortly after 9/11 to help with setting up an air base there. He did two more tours in Baghdad deploying out of Hill Air Force Base in Utah before he retired out of the Air Force.
My cousin had joined the Navy after graduating high school, in June 2011. Yep, next stop was over there.....

TheRube33 on UnTappd

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 7 times

Post by HockeyBum » Wed Sep 11 8:11 am

I'm kind of amazed (not in a good way) at how much I've forgotten already in just 18 years. What I do remember is that it was my 2nd day at my current job. We were at our old building off of Maryland Ave in St. Paul at the time. I had just pulled into the parking lot and was getting out of my car when I heard news of a plane hitting. I think it was "Babs and the Boys" on AM1500 (anyone remember that show?). They made it sound like some kind of accident, so I didn't think much of it and went inside. Saw the rest a few minutes later with my new co-workers on a TV in the break room. I honestly don't remember much else about that day.

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Zwak » Wed Sep 11 8:15 am

I posted this on Facebook. 9/11 is one of two events in my 53 years that fall into the "where were you when..." category. The other is the Challenger explosion in 1986. Other major events obviously happened during this time but I can't tell you where I was or what I was doing like I can with 9/11 and Challenger.
GPL's official source of trivia.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Wed Sep 11 8:49 am

Zwak wrote:
Wed Sep 11 8:15 am
I posted this on Facebook. 9/11 is one of two events in my 53 years that fall into the "where were you when..." category. The other is the Challenger explosion in 1986. Other major events obviously happened during this time but I can't tell you where I was or what I was doing like I can with 9/11 and Challenger.
Challenger...I was in study hall in junior high in the library. The head librarian was a huge space fan and had the launch on tv so most of us kids gathered around to watch the launch since it was better than doing homework. When the shuttle blew up the librarian starting sobbing uncontrollably. I was 12 years old and it hit me all at once that I just watched the death of seven people. I didn't have a similar feeling to that until 9/11 and watching the events of that day unfold.

Of all the shows or documentaries done about 9/11 the one done by the Naudet brothers and James Hanlon about them following the fire department located just blocks from the Towers is the one that stands out above all others. The video of the firefighter chaplain praying in the lobby was powerful stuff.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden

Post by HockeyBum » Wed Sep 11 9:21 am

Zwak wrote:
Wed Sep 11 8:15 am
I was 10 when the Challenger exploded, and apparently I went to the only school in America that didn't show the launch in class. Thus, I have no "where were you?" memory of it.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Sep 11 10:03 am

Pretty sure I was in the lunchroom in h.s. when Challenger happened.
Currently under construction.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Wed Sep 11 10:07 am

Obviously a lot goes into what makes a event memorable where you can remember where you were and what you were doing. Amateur sociologist question: Will people of the internet age have more "where were you when" moments because of the instant and constant access to news sources? When the Challenger exploded in 1986 we obviously had no internet, no social media, and cable tv wasn't nearly as prominent as it is now.

5 O.T.
Veteran
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by 5 O.T. » Wed Sep 11 10:48 am

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Norm » Wed Sep 11 10:52 am

My son joined the army out of HS in 1997. He wanted to see the world and get money for college. The deal was 2 years active, 5 years Reserves. I still remember the recruiter sitting at our kitchen table telling us "Reserves is just a formality. You'll never actually get called back."

He was nicely into college on 9/11. A few months later he was in Afghanistan, then a year later in Iraq. His life and ours will never be the same.

QueenofGopherHockey
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times

Post by QueenofGopherHockey » Wed Sep 11 11:39 am

I was working in my office at the University of MN Registrar's office. I got a phone call from a friend who told us to put our radios on, something bad just happened. We all did that and also tried to get CNN on our computers, which was not allowed. It was devastating. I grew up in NYC and I was horrified. The University dismissed all classes at noon, but Staff had to stay or take vacation time. I sat at my desk and cried till we could go home. Shock, disbelief and sadness followed me that week. Remember how there were no planes? How quiet it was with no air traffic? :shock:

I remember where I was when JFK was killed, the Challenger explosion and then 9/11. Very sad times. I recently read a book about that day called "Thunder Dog" about a blind man who worked in the Towers and his Guide Dog who got him out and saved others too. It's worth reading. So many of my friends, still in New York have vivid memories of this day. I am always very sad about it. :(

NEVER FORGET!
QoGH
.06 -- BEST. GAME. EVER.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Steve MN » Wed Sep 11 11:46 am

"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Laxref
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Laxref » Wed Sep 11 12:03 pm

I was in 11th grade study hall and a friend walked by and just said, “a plane flew into a building in New York”. We all assumed it was like a small plane accident type thing but when the TVs in school all day clearly were tuned in it became clear this was an event of a generation. I remember football practice after school being very odd, no one was wanting to hit anyone to aggressively that afternoon.

My father is a retired Air Traffic Controller at MSP who was working that morning. I can only imagine how surreal a shift that was for him and his co-workers. Like QoGH said, air traffic was shut down and anyone who lives near a major airport will attest, the silence was eerie.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Wed Sep 11 12:26 pm

I was a sophomore in HS when it happened. We had four period days and I was in first period art class when it happened. Never heard a thing about it. In between classes I heard someone in the hallway talking about terrorists. I had no idea what those were. When I got to my second period, we watched the second plane hit and then that building collapse. I remember thinking it was like a movie or something. Like it couldn’t be real life. My math teacher then turned the TV off because we needed to focus on schoolwork. Nobody really could. I left school at lunch to go get a strep test at the doctor since I was sick that day. Turns out I didn’t have strep so my mom drove me back to school. I didn’t see any more footage of it for the rest of the day at school because all the teachers would not put it on.

Don Adams Wheel of Justice
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 4 times

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Wed Sep 11 12:38 pm

I was listening to KQRS on my drive to work as the 3rd plane hit the Pentagon. That was the first I'd heard about an attack. I went to work and stayed most of the day until starting my drive back home. I made it half way before my car's transmission went out leaving me on the side of the road. I thought the warning beeps I was hearing were coming from the radio as a civil defense alert so I paid no attention. Across the street from me was a local bar so I proceeded to leave my car and walk across the street into the bar. There I sat with a handful of strangers, terrified, watching CNN and wondering what world I would wake up to on 9/12. Still ranks as the most scared I've ever been in my adult life.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Wed Sep 11 12:44 pm

I remember feeling very surreal on 9/11. It was just an eerie feeling. I couldn't get enough of the news coverage. I remember there being rumors about gasoline shortages so I went out at around midnight to fill up with gas. Sure enough the station across the street already had a line. I drove around a bit more and found one with not much of a line..

I know this borders on politics but I will never forget George W. Bush visiting NYC and standing amidst the rubble addressing the first responders and the nation. Gave me a huge feeling of national pride.

Don Adams Wheel of Justice
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 4 times

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Wed Sep 11 12:53 pm

Zwak wrote:
Wed Sep 11 12:44 pm
I remember feeling very surreal on 9/11. It was just an eerie feeling. I couldn't get enough of the news coverage. I remember there being rumors about gasoline shortages so I went out at around midnight to fill up with gas. Sure enough the station across the street already had a line. I drove around a bit more and found one with not much of a line..

I know this borders on politics but I will never forget George W. Bush visiting NYC and standing amidst the rubble addressing the first responders and the nation. Gave me a huge feeling of national pride.
My boss showed up about an hour later to pick me up from the bar and take me home. On the way, we drove through a little rural town with a gas station and a church. At the gas station, the line stretched as far as you could see in both directions. It literally looked like the last scene from Field of Dreams. My boss looked at me and said it reminded him of the gas lines of the 1970's.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Wed Sep 11 1:18 pm

The one thing that happening locally in my small town in the middle of nowhere Iowa was that two F-16's buzzed the town that afternoon. I mean they were literally less than a 1,000 ft in the air as they flew over. They went directly over my parent's house. By the time you heard them, they were gone. First thought that crept into my head was the movie "Red Dawn". I don't think I'll ever forget having that thought. It is crazy how that day affected your thinking and your view of the world even though the epicenter of it all was a thousand miles away.

5 O.T.
Veteran

Post by 5 O.T. » Wed Sep 11 2:11 pm

Mike Moran - FDNY. Concert for New York City
https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/fi ... e-1.143763

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Kelly Red » Wed Sep 11 4:59 pm

One of my closest friends from college worked at Cantor. She was above the fire. She died that day. It took me years to get through these anniversaries without the trauma making me bawl like a baby. Now I try and remember my funny friend as she was and not how she died. A candle has burned all day on my coffee table, vanilla, her favorite. Hold your loved ones close, life goes by in a blink.
How many husbands have I had? You mean besides my own?
-Zsa Zsa Gabor

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 36 times

Post by D2D » Wed Sep 11 5:06 pm

I was at a business conference in Nashville, first morning. After the first plane hit our meeting agenda was suspended as they brought out a couple of TV's so we could watch. When the second plane struck I said "Osama bin Ladin" to the two attendees next to me, as I had been reading about him and Al-Qaeda, and just had a strong hunch. As the disaster unfolded they shut down the conference and had us go home. Of course all of the flights were cancelled, and it was not easy finding a car to rent. Fortunately I did find one and ended up driving back to Minneapolis with a female I had never met. With the skies clear and hardly any cars on the road it was very eerie ride home, to say the least.

Interesting note: my company had just won the NY Port Authority account (which included the WTC) as their property insurance broker, and the guy primarily responsible for placing coverage (with multiple worldwide underwriters) was at the conference.

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 36 times

Post by D2D » Wed Sep 11 5:06 pm

D2D wrote:
Wed Sep 11 5:06 pm
I was at a business conference in Nashville, first morning. After the first plane hit our meeting agenda was suspended, and they brought out a couple of TV's so we could watch. When the second plane struck I said "Osama bin Ladin" to the two attendees next to me, as I had been reading about him and Al-Qaeda, and just had a strong hunch. As the disaster unfolded they shut down the conference and had us go home. Of course all of the flights were cancelled, and it was not easy finding a car to rent. Fortunately I did find one and ended up driving back to Minneapolis with a female I had never met. With the skies clear and hardly any cars on the road it was very eerie ride home, to say the least.

Interesting note: my company had just won the NY Port Authority account (which included the WTC) as their property insurance broker, and the guy primarily responsible for placing coverage (with multiple worldwide underwriters) was at the conference.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Greyeagle » Wed Sep 11 8:16 pm

The Rube wrote:
Tue Sep 10 10:03 pm
Link to a "live" convo/thread. A user saved this from USCHO and is still hosting the site, thankfully. Long read, but man...it's.....oof.

http://www.nmubaseball.net/uscho911/What%20The%20Pg1.htm
Was at work so I didn't have access to a TV until someone brought one in later in the morning and it was impossible to get into any news site on the internet so that thread was my best source of info.
Along with the few radio stations I could tune into deep inside the bowls of the building I was working in at the time.

If Ford is to Chevrolet What Dodge is to Chrysler / What Corn Flakes are to Post Toasties
What the clear blue sky is to the deep blue sea / What Hank Williams is to Neil Armstrong
Can you doubt we were made for each other

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Wed Sep 11 9:22 pm

I was eating a late breakfast with family. Waitress said "Did you hear about the plane that flew into one of the Twin Towers?" We thought it was a joke and waited for the punch line.
2 days later I'm with moonrider hunting sharpies straight north of Minot with our pointers and horses. Back before then if a dog went on point in Canada, I'd jump the border and work the birds. Not that day. US Border cops watching from a hilltop.
I stayed at a rancher friends place and had another buddy that worked on the supply line at Minot. He had taken vacation for the hunt. When he rode my horse and I moved his truck I was told by him to NOT answer his bag phone. There was a wing of B52s up from Barksdale in LA for training that stayed in Minot. They were getting tje whole bunch ready for non stop round trips to Afghanistan. He knew once he went into Minot he would be there for work for a long time.
JFK, RFK, Tet, MLK, later Challenger & 9/11, I've seen enough bad stuff.
Never Forget!
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.