Things That Stick In Your Craw

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 30200
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 351 times
Age: 33

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Beauner » Fri Jul 23 8:25 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Jul 23 7:40 pm
Beauner wrote:
Fri Jul 23 4:45 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Jul 23 2:16 pm
Beauner wrote:
Fri Jul 23 1:46 pm
Tearing my achilles. 🤬🤬🤬
Oof. Full tear?
Not sure yet. Have an appointment Wednesday with an orthopedic specialist to see the extent of the damage.
Good luck. My BIL fully tore his and the post surgery recovery is long. Couldn’t even drive.

Seriously, I wish you luck .
I'm at least lucky it's in my left leg (although that was previously my good leg) so I can still drive and stuff but it's quite painful right now.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8973
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 533 times
Been liked: 693 times
Age: 34

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Jul 23 9:41 pm

Yeah @Beauner, good luck, if you need a hand with anything let us know, I don’t think we are too far from you!

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 18053
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 566 times
Been liked: 560 times
Contact:

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Jul 24 8:35 am

I tore mine senior of football and it was all I could do to recover midway into track season.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 6542
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 149 times

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by bearpaw28 » Sat Jul 24 9:14 am

Beauner wrote:
Fri Jul 23 4:42 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
Fri Jul 23 1:52 pm
Beauner wrote:
Fri Jul 23 1:46 pm
Tearing my achilles. 🤬🤬🤬
Sorry to hear that. That’s awful! How did it happen? Softball?
Yeah last night in the playoffs. Hit a double down the line. Fields were a bit uneven and I guess i stepped in the wrong spot at the wrong time. Felt a pop and then pain shot straight up through the calf.

We only had 10 guys so I played the rest of the game basically on one leg which in retrospect probably was not smart.
Hopefully not a complete tear. Good luck at the DR appt on Wednesday. More time to watch the Twins I guess…ohh…that’s not quite as depressing as getting injured, but still… :wink: feeble Gallows Humor attempt…Have a speedy recovery!

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10785
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 246 times
Age: 46

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by davescharf » Sat Jul 24 10:34 am

Beauner wrote:
Fri Jul 23 8:25 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Jul 23 7:40 pm
Beauner wrote:
Fri Jul 23 4:45 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Jul 23 2:16 pm
Beauner wrote:
Fri Jul 23 1:46 pm
Tearing my achilles. 🤬🤬🤬
Oof. Full tear?
Not sure yet. Have an appointment Wednesday with an orthopedic specialist to see the extent of the damage.
Good luck. My BIL fully tore his and the post surgery recovery is long. Couldn’t even drive.

Seriously, I wish you luck .
I'm at least lucky it's in my left leg (although that was previously my good leg) so I can still drive and stuff but it's quite painful right now.
I once had to drive from Omaha to Minneapolis with a muscle pull that caused so much inflammation it would touch the sciatic nerve almost anytime I needed to come off the cruise control. As painful as that was it has to pale with what you’re doing with.

Hopefully the recovery goes well.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7392
Joined: Sat Dec 30 11:24 pm
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 203 times
Age: 42

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Jul 26 12:34 am

I haven’t done anything physical for the past 20 years specifically so I don’t tear something. So far, so good!
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

User avatar
Kelly Red
Veteran
Posts: 3422
Joined: Wed Dec 05 4:12 pm
Location: High Horse
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 256 times

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Jul 26 10:36 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Mon Jul 26 12:34 am
I haven’t done anything physical for the past 20 years specifically so I don’t tear something. So far, so good!
:lol:
Honestly I’m surprised the road to Hell is paved at all.
-blatant steal from Twitter

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 30200
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 351 times
Age: 33

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Beauner » Wed Jul 28 10:43 am

Update: Not fully ruptured. Partial tearing of the fibrous tendon between the calf and the heel, and strained achilles.
Got an air cast for the next couple weeks and have physical therapy this afternoon to start recovery.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 20710
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 736 times
Age: 55

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Greyeagle » Wed Jul 28 7:56 pm

Beauner wrote:
Wed Jul 28 10:43 am
Update: Not fully ruptured. Partial tearing of the fibrous tendon between the calf and the heel, and strained achilles.
Got an air cast for the next couple weeks and have physical therapy this afternoon to start recovery.
Just catching up....sounds like good news. Best of luck and happy healing.
:M: :M2: Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers! :M2: :M:

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 30200
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 351 times
Age: 33

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Beauner » Wed Jul 28 9:10 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Wed Jul 28 7:56 pm
Beauner wrote:
Wed Jul 28 10:43 am
Update: Not fully ruptured. Partial tearing of the fibrous tendon between the calf and the heel, and strained achilles.
Got an air cast for the next couple weeks and have physical therapy this afternoon to start recovery.
Just catching up....sounds like good news. Best of luck and happy healing.
Thanks! Basically best case scenario for what happened I think. Hopefully able to resume activity in 3-4 weeks.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4458
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 204 times

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Bladepuller » Thu Jul 29 10:23 am

Good to hear.
Be good about your PT and be glad you are young enough to heal quickly.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3923
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 195 times

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Norm » Thu Aug 05 10:49 am

We bought some sweet corn from the same local family we always do. You can chew off the whole ear before swallowing. There is basically nothing there. :(

User avatar
D2D
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3435
Joined: Wed Oct 24 12:48 am
Has liked: 575 times
Been liked: 200 times
Age: 72

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by D2D » Thu Aug 05 11:27 am

Norm wrote:
Thu Aug 05 10:49 am
We bought some sweet corn from the same local family we always do. You can chew off the whole ear before swallowing. There is basically nothing there. :(
"Things That (don't) Stick In Your Teeth"
D2D - 49 years, and counting...

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10785
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 246 times
Age: 46

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by davescharf » Thu Aug 05 3:02 pm

Norm wrote:
Thu Aug 05 10:49 am
We bought some sweet corn from the same local family we always do. You can chew off the whole ear before swallowing. There is basically nothing there. :(
I’ve been really disappointed in all the sweet corn we’ve bought this year. I assumed it was due to the drought
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Kelly Red
Veteran
Posts: 3422
Joined: Wed Dec 05 4:12 pm
Location: High Horse
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 256 times

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Kelly Red » Thu Aug 05 7:11 pm

davescharf wrote:
Thu Aug 05 3:02 pm
Norm wrote:
Thu Aug 05 10:49 am
We bought some sweet corn from the same local family we always do. You can chew off the whole ear before swallowing. There is basically nothing there. :(
I’ve been really disappointed in all the sweet corn we’ve bought this year. I assumed it was due to the drought
We buy sweet corn from Norms Farm stand outside of Becker, it’s on the way to the cabin. It’s been f’ing fantastic BUT they irrigate their fields. Corn is their main crop so it’s worth it for them. In season we eat it at least twice a week. Not in season or not local, I won’t touch it. I’m a huge sweet corn snob! :D
Honestly I’m surprised the road to Hell is paved at all.
-blatant steal from Twitter

User avatar
MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7392
Joined: Sat Dec 30 11:24 pm
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 203 times
Age: 42

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Aug 05 9:37 pm

Yeah it depends on where/who you get it from. We just bought some this week and was probably the best corn I have ever eaten.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7935
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 411 times
Been liked: 590 times
Age: 55

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Aug 06 9:17 am

Our corn we grew this year has been average. It is in a place that I can't really get water to. The rest of the garden has been hit and miss. I usually use collected rain water to water the garden, but this year dug out about 100 feet of hoses to try to at least get some water on it. The tomatoes and peppers are doing well. Even though I have a fence, the rabbits are really having a nice feast. I have never seen this many rabbits running around this year. Time to try to thin them out.

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9962
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 190 times
Age: 48

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Steve MN » Fri Aug 06 9:24 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Fri Aug 06 9:17 am
Even though I have a fence, the rabbits are really having a nice feast. I have never seen this many rabbits running around this year. Time to try to thin them out.
Well, the other buffets in the area have been closed down due to lack of watering, so your garden is the only dinner option currently available.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7935
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 411 times
Been liked: 590 times
Age: 55

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Aug 06 9:29 am

Steve MN wrote:
Fri Aug 06 9:24 am
frozen4champs wrote:
Fri Aug 06 9:17 am
Even though I have a fence, the rabbits are really having a nice feast. I have never seen this many rabbits running around this year. Time to try to thin them out.
Well, the other buffets in the area have been closed down due to lack of watering, so your garden is the only dinner option currently available.
My wife always thinks the "farm" critters are cute until they start eating the garden. I have to put fences inside the fences to keep them out this year :lol:

User avatar
Gopherguy05
Veteran
Posts: 5101
Joined: Fri Dec 01 8:52 pm
Location: West St. Paul
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 35 times
Age: 39

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Gopherguy05 » Fri Aug 06 9:46 am

Hey,.,,it could always be worse. Much Much worse.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/in ... ice-runway

User avatar
Kelly Red
Veteran
Posts: 3422
Joined: Wed Dec 05 4:12 pm
Location: High Horse
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 256 times

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Kelly Red » Fri Aug 06 10:19 am

Gopherguy05 wrote:
Fri Aug 06 9:46 am
Hey,.,,it could always be worse. Much Much worse.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/in ... ice-runway
:shock:
Honestly I’m surprised the road to Hell is paved at all.
-blatant steal from Twitter

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11916
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 515 times
Age: 46

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Aug 06 11:19 am

Yikes

User avatar
Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Posts: 15406
Joined: Wed Apr 09 10:45 am
Location: The Sticks
Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 616 times
Age: 48
Contact:

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Jupiter » Fri Aug 06 2:51 pm

Gopherguy05 wrote:
Fri Aug 06 9:46 am
Hey,.,,it could always be worse. Much Much worse.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/in ... ice-runway
WOW... How horrible for them!

User avatar
trixR4kids
Veteran
Posts: 14569
Joined: Sun Feb 15 5:06 pm
Has liked: 231 times
Been liked: 45 times
Age: 33

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by trixR4kids » Fri Aug 06 5:19 pm

Yikes, they need a cat infestation quick.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8973
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 533 times
Been liked: 693 times
Age: 34

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Aug 06 7:56 pm

That is terrible and I understand the means necessary to control the plague. But it still broke my heart to see the picture of the poor little mice in the bucket of water and soap looking up for help as they were drowning. 😢 They could have done without that in the article.

User avatar
fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4055
Joined: Mon Apr 18 9:45 pm
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 131 times
Age: 35

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by fightclub30 » Wed Aug 25 10:54 pm

Recently returned from a Buddies trip down to Pinehurst, and sorting through expenses to square up. 2 of our hotels charged parking fees...

Let me rephrase that. 2 of our hotels in Pinehurst (an hour from the airport), near nothing, with no shuttle service, and where Lyft/Uber are NOT a thing we found out, charged us $10/day in parking fees. What the H-E-double hockey sticks? Another charged a $7/day "Resort fee" with zero amenities (pool and free breakfast both closed due to COVID). We tried to get an Uber one night and we never got a response. So if you don't want to pay for parking, what is the other option to walk? Then I wouldn't really need a hotel...

If you need money, just raise the nightly rate, I'd be much more understanding that a bunch of stupid fees. I get parking fees in major metropolitan areas and/or if you have an airport shuttle service.

Both were Marriott branded hotels, so I emailed corporate and got an extremely generic response that basically says Marriott as an umbrella company has no real control over what their hotels charge their guest for, or how much they charge them.

In the grand scheme of things, whatever, I will pay it. It is just annoying.

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10785
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 246 times
Age: 46

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by davescharf » Wed Aug 25 11:03 pm

Hotels just keep devaluing the perks in order to get as many members into their loyalty program. Hilton just ended their free breakfasts for Gold and Diamond members in lieu of a credit that might cover one breakfast for my family. It used to be not long ago that they would give us one for everyone in the family if I asked. Upgrades are happening less often too because nearly anyone can get Gold status these days.

Adding fees doesn’t surprise me in the least. We are strongly considering dumping our Hilton branded card because we’d rather stay at an AirBnB with the kids given how much more room you can get and for usually better rates
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9962
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 190 times
Age: 48

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Steve MN » Thu Aug 26 9:12 am

It sounds funny, but by adding those charges on instead of raising the room rate, they're not just making the price seem more reasonable when you're searching, but actually saving you (a little) money in the process. The parking and resort fees aren't subject to lodging taxes.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
Kelly Red
Veteran
Posts: 3422
Joined: Wed Dec 05 4:12 pm
Location: High Horse
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 256 times

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Kelly Red » Thu Aug 26 10:25 am

Steve MN wrote:
Thu Aug 26 9:12 am
It sounds funny, but by adding those charges on instead of raising the room rate, they're not just making the price seem more reasonable when you're searching, but actually saving you (a little) money in the process. The parking and resort fees aren't subject to lodging taxes.
Yes. I wish these “fees” were just added into the nightly price. I despise Resort Fee, it’s a total scam.
I would have argued that no breakfast, no pool means no fee. What else would they have claimed it covered? I’ve had resort fees removed sometimes when I’ve asked. In this situation I definitely would have asked.
Honestly I’m surprised the road to Hell is paved at all.
-blatant steal from Twitter

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10785
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 246 times
Age: 46

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by davescharf » Thu Aug 26 7:49 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Thu Aug 26 9:12 am
It sounds funny, but by adding those charges on instead of raising the room rate, they're not just making the price seem more reasonable when you're searching, but actually saving you (a little) money in the process. The parking and resort fees aren't subject to lodging taxes.
Of course I can’t complain now. We just got to our hotel in Zion and they upgraded us from a 2 queen room to a 2 bed 2 bath suite that is huge. It’s also a 200 yard walk from the room to the Zion visitor center and the views from the porch are killer
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3923
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 195 times

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Norm » Thu Aug 26 7:51 pm

davescharf wrote:
Thu Aug 26 7:49 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Thu Aug 26 9:12 am
It sounds funny, but by adding those charges on instead of raising the room rate, they're not just making the price seem more reasonable when you're searching, but actually saving you (a little) money in the process. The parking and resort fees aren't subject to lodging taxes.
Of course I can’t complain now. We just got to our hotel in Zion and they upgraded us from a 2 queen room to a 2 bed 2 bath suite that is huge. It’s also a 200 yard walk from the room to the Zion visitor center and the views from the porch are killer
Wouldn't happen to be at the Best Western Plus?

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10785
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 246 times
Age: 46

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by davescharf » Thu Aug 26 7:56 pm

Norm wrote:
Thu Aug 26 7:51 pm
davescharf wrote:
Thu Aug 26 7:49 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Thu Aug 26 9:12 am
It sounds funny, but by adding those charges on instead of raising the room rate, they're not just making the price seem more reasonable when you're searching, but actually saving you (a little) money in the process. The parking and resort fees aren't subject to lodging taxes.
Of course I can’t complain now. We just got to our hotel in Zion and they upgraded us from a 2 queen room to a 2 bed 2 bath suite that is huge. It’s also a 200 yard walk from the room to the Zion visitor center and the views from the porch are killer
Wouldn't happen to be at the Best Western Plus?
No the Hilton Curio. We have as bunch of Honors points so we used them on this trip
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Posts: 15406
Joined: Wed Apr 09 10:45 am
Location: The Sticks
Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 616 times
Age: 48
Contact:

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Jupiter » Tue Sep 07 4:01 pm

Yeah...

Posts removed.

User avatar
HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3607
Joined: Thu Jun 03 12:28 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 56 times
Contact:

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by HockeyBum » Wed Sep 08 7:02 am

Those Gorilla Bag canvas dumpsters. They're the bane of my neighborhood. My neighbor across the street has had a bright orange one at the end of his driveway for the last 3 months. You might as well have a junked out car up on blocks. I get that they're useful for large projects, but come on. A week or two should be long enough. People leave these things out there for months on end.

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11463
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 234 times
Age: 55

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Zwak » Wed Sep 08 7:48 am

HockeyBum wrote:
Wed Sep 08 7:02 am
Those Gorilla Bag canvas dumpsters. They're the bane of my neighborhood. My neighbor across the street has had a bright orange one at the end of his driveway for the last 3 months. You might as well have a junked out car up on blocks. I get that they're useful for large projects, but come on. A week or two should be long enough. People leave these things out there for months on end.
Check with your city to see if there are any ordinances about them.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8973
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 533 times
Been liked: 693 times
Age: 34

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Sep 08 9:32 am

HockeyBum wrote:
Wed Sep 08 7:02 am
Those Gorilla Bag canvas dumpsters. They're the bane of my neighborhood. My neighbor across the street has had a bright orange one at the end of his driveway for the last 3 months. You might as well have a junked out car up on blocks. I get that they're useful for large projects, but come on. A week or two should be long enough. People leave these things out there for months on end.
I think a lot of people mistakenly buy those canvas dumpster bags not realizing there is additional (and significant) cost to have them picked up. And thus leave them sit rather than pay. Just a guess.

Or they work on home projects at the speed we do. ;)

User avatar
MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7392
Joined: Sat Dec 30 11:24 pm
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 203 times
Age: 42

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Sep 08 9:37 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Wed Sep 08 9:32 am
HockeyBum wrote:
Wed Sep 08 7:02 am
Those Gorilla Bag canvas dumpsters. They're the bane of my neighborhood. My neighbor across the street has had a bright orange one at the end of his driveway for the last 3 months. You might as well have a junked out car up on blocks. I get that they're useful for large projects, but come on. A week or two should be long enough. People leave these things out there for months on end.
I think a lot of people mistakenly buy those canvas dumpster bags not realizing there is additional (and significant) cost to have them picked up. And thus leave them sit rather than pay. Just a guess.

Or they work on home projects at the speed we do. ;)
The bags only run about $30. I can’t imagine anyone thinks that price includes haul away. Plus they say right on the packaging that haul away isn’t included.

But alas, I come across a lot more things that are head scratchers so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

User avatar
gator
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15347
Joined: Fri Apr 11 8:07 am
Location: The Bermuda Triangle of the 196
Has liked: 141 times
Been liked: 58 times
Age: 46

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by gator » Wed Sep 08 12:42 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Wed Sep 08 7:02 am
Those Gorilla Bag canvas dumpsters. They're the bane of my neighborhood. My neighbor across the street has had a bright orange one at the end of his driveway for the last 3 months. You might as well have a junked out car up on blocks. I get that they're useful for large projects, but come on. A week or two should be long enough. People leave these things out there for months on end.
When my wife and I bought our house over 4 months ago. A house down the street had one of those canvas dumpsters full sitting at the end of their driveway. Now the canvas dumpster is about 2/3 empty. I think they are piece by piece putting stuff in they trash bin and having it emptied with the weekly pickup.
"Sometimes it's fun to poke a stick in a hornets' nest just to hear the buzzing".
- Pat Sajak

"You're the Donald Trump of GPL... #fakenews"
- The Rube (7/1/17) @ Ansari's - Eagan, MN

***
KEEP YOUR STICK ON THE ICE
:trashpc:
The poster formerly known as gatorice

User avatar
Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Posts: 1335
Joined: Tue Jul 29 12:50 pm
Location: Mortgage Business
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 77 times
Age: 50
Contact:

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Wed Sep 08 1:57 pm

My wife and I are considering getting one of the green WM bags to get rid of some junk. I think she said the total cost including pickup is about $200.

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 4104
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 263 times

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Karlsson » Wed Sep 08 2:43 pm

Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:
Wed Sep 08 1:57 pm
My wife and I are considering getting one of the green WM bags to get rid of some junk. I think she said the total cost including pickup is about $200.
We did this before moving. Basically enabled me to clear out the garage in one shot, so it was worth it. Just be sure to place it in a good spot. I didn't follow the directions on the package, but lucked out in putting in a a good spot. Lots of large trees all over our old lot.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 18053
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 566 times
Been liked: 560 times
Contact:

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Sep 16 9:12 pm

We are selling my older son's motorcycle and someone called my wife with interest. He asked her how much mileage and after she answered he said "No thanks". When she explained it to me I said, "15,000 km is too many"? She said she told him it was 150,000 km.




:brickwall: :dope:
Attachments
oops.jpg
Currently under construction.

User avatar
Kelly Red
Veteran
Posts: 3422
Joined: Wed Dec 05 4:12 pm
Location: High Horse
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 256 times

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Kelly Red » Fri Sep 17 11:26 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Sep 16 9:12 pm
We are selling my older son's motorcycle and someone called my wife with interest. He asked her how much mileage and after she answered he said "No thanks". When she explained it to me I said, "15,000 km is too many"? She said she told him it was 150,000 km.




:brickwall: :dope:
:lol: Now that sounds like something I’d do.
Honestly I’m surprised the road to Hell is paved at all.
-blatant steal from Twitter

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 4104
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 263 times

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Karlsson » Fri Sep 17 12:07 pm

At least they said "no thanks" instead of giving a really low offer that she then accepted. :lol:

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8973
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 533 times
Been liked: 693 times
Age: 34

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Sep 17 1:35 pm

Is it standard procedure when you are working with customer service (spectrum is the one I’m working on now) to put you on hold to “look into it” and then either completely hang up on you, or kick you back to the general wait list? I’ve had this happen to me so many times I think it’s a tactic to get you to get frustrated and give up. After ten minutes with agent one, she kicked me to hold and I had to wait another ten minutes on hold and then start all over.
And agent two is absolutely useless so I have to wait again. Ugh.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 18053
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 566 times
Been liked: 560 times
Contact:

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Sep 17 2:55 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Fri Sep 17 1:35 pm
Is it standard procedure when you are working with customer service (spectrum is the one I’m working on now) to put you on hold to “look into it” and then either completely hang up on you, or kick you back to the general wait list?
This would be highly unlikely, although a smaller tel-com that doesn't outsource their customer service might be able to 'get away with it' more so than if you were calling T-Mobile or the like. My company has provided customer service, sales, tech support, etc. for TMob, Bell Canada, AT&T, Comcast, etc. and there is no way a single one of them would put up with this handling their customers in such a way. In fact we don't have a single telephony application that would make it possible to put a contact back into the queue. Hanging up would be another story.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10785
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 246 times
Age: 46

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by davescharf » Fri Sep 17 3:02 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Fri Sep 17 1:35 pm
Is it standard procedure when you are working with customer service (spectrum is the one I’m working on now) to put you on hold to “look into it” and then either completely hang up on you, or kick you back to the general wait list? I’ve had this happen to me so many times I think it’s a tactic to get you to get frustrated and give up. After ten minutes with agent one, she kicked me to hold and I had to wait another ten minutes on hold and then start all over.
And agent two is absolutely useless so I have to wait again. Ugh.
Based on the ‘glowing’ reviews my dad gives Spectrum this sounds about par for the course for them
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8973
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 533 times
Been liked: 693 times
Age: 34

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Sep 17 3:45 pm

davescharf wrote:
Fri Sep 17 3:02 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Fri Sep 17 1:35 pm
Is it standard procedure when you are working with customer service (spectrum is the one I’m working on now) to put you on hold to “look into it” and then either completely hang up on you, or kick you back to the general wait list? I’ve had this happen to me so many times I think it’s a tactic to get you to get frustrated and give up. After ten minutes with agent one, she kicked me to hold and I had to wait another ten minutes on hold and then start all over.
And agent two is absolutely useless so I have to wait again. Ugh.
Based on the ‘glowing’ reviews my dad gives Spectrum this sounds about par for the course for them
Honestly spectrum has been far easier than when I had frontier and dish. I spoke with three reps in the span of an hour phone call. First one kicked me to hold, second one was completely useless, claiming he couldn’t access any specifics on my account (?) third one was super nice, helpful, and able to answer all my questions. It’s just such a crapshoot who you get and a lot of time waiting on hold and for someone who can actually help. I can see why a lot of people get frustrated and just pay whatever they are charged. I was routinely hung up on when I was trying to end my frontier and dish accounts.

Then I spent time with tech services as our WiFi cuts out a lot and he was very thorough and helpful.

I have been far more happy with Spectrum but it’s getting to the expensive part as promos end.

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 20710
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 736 times
Age: 55

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Greyeagle » Fri Sep 17 3:56 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Fri Sep 17 2:55 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Fri Sep 17 1:35 pm
Is it standard procedure when you are working with customer service (spectrum is the one I’m working on now) to put you on hold to “look into it” and then either completely hang up on you, or kick you back to the general wait list?
This would be highly unlikely, although a smaller tel-com that doesn't outsource their customer service might be able to 'get away with it' more so than if you were calling T-Mobile or the like. My company has provided customer service, sales, tech support, etc. for TMob, Bell Canada, AT&T, Comcast, etc. and there is no way a single one of them would put up with this handling their customers in such a way. In fact we don't have a single telephony application that would make it possible to put a contact back into the queue. Hanging up would be another story.
The only we can send someone into a queue is to transfer them to another skill and I am almost positive we cannot transfer callers back into the same skill they are already on. My teams are typically dealing with a very specific set of customers (unlike the support SS) provides) so if we do accidently hang up on caller ( Mr. Fat Fingers checking in :wave: ) we almost always know the caller and can ring them back quickly.
:M: :M2: Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers! :M2: :M:

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 18053
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 566 times
Been liked: 560 times
Contact:

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Sep 17 4:43 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Fri Sep 17 3:56 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Fri Sep 17 2:55 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Fri Sep 17 1:35 pm
Is it standard procedure when you are working with customer service (spectrum is the one I’m working on now) to put you on hold to “look into it” and then either completely hang up on you, or kick you back to the general wait list?
This would be highly unlikely, although a smaller tel-com that doesn't outsource their customer service might be able to 'get away with it' more so than if you were calling T-Mobile or the like. My company has provided customer service, sales, tech support, etc. for TMob, Bell Canada, AT&T, Comcast, etc. and there is no way a single one of them would put up with this handling their customers in such a way. In fact we don't have a single telephony application that would make it possible to put a contact back into the queue. Hanging up would be another story.
The only we can send someone into a queue is to transfer them to another skill and I am almost positive we cannot transfer callers back into the same skill they are already on. My teams are typically dealing with a very specific set of customers (unlike the support SS) provides) so if we do accidently hang up on caller ( Mr. Fat Fingers checking in :wave: ) we almost always know the caller and can ring them back quickly.
A specific set of customers doesn't like to be taken.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10785
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 246 times
Age: 46

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by davescharf » Sat Sep 18 11:39 am

So this is a question - what bothers you more…your hotel shower lever not automatically switching back to the tub faucet or your spouse who doesn’t check and do it after they shower.

That ice cold water blast from the shower head never feels great when you aren’t expecting it
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8973
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 533 times
Been liked: 693 times
Age: 34

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Sep 18 12:07 pm

davescharf wrote:
Sat Sep 18 11:39 am
So this is a question - what bothers you more…your hotel shower lever not automatically switching back to the tub faucet or your spouse who doesn’t check and do it after they shower.

That ice cold water blast from the shower head never feels great when you aren’t expecting it

Always start the water before you enter the tub!!

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 4104
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 263 times

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Karlsson » Sat Sep 18 12:13 pm

Yeah I never run into that issue because of my irrational fear of said blast of cold water.

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11916
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 515 times
Age: 46

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Sep 18 5:41 pm

I run the water a good five minutes before I think of going into the shower.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 18053
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 566 times
Been liked: 560 times
Contact:

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Sep 18 5:46 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Sep 18 5:41 pm
I run the water a good five minutes before I think of going into the shower.
Jeez are you guys using 10-gallon water heaters? :mrgreen:
Currently under construction.

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8973
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 533 times
Been liked: 693 times
Age: 34

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Sep 18 9:02 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Sep 18 5:46 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Sep 18 5:41 pm
I run the water a good five minutes before I think of going into the shower.
Jeez are you guys using 10-gallon water heaters? :mrgreen:
At home I need 30 seconds to verify water temp cause I know where the handle should be. But in a hotel, never get in until you know what temp the water is coming out so you can adjust accordingly.

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10785
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 246 times
Age: 46

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by davescharf » Sat Sep 18 9:57 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Sep 18 9:02 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Sep 18 5:46 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Sep 18 5:41 pm
I run the water a good five minutes before I think of going into the shower.
Jeez are you guys using 10-gallon water heaters? :mrgreen:
At home I need 30 seconds to verify water temp cause I know where the handle should be. But in a hotel, never get in until you know what temp the water is coming out so you can adjust accordingly.
It’s not that as much as my wife not putting the lever down so it will come out of the bath faucet instead of the shower
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 33605
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 392 times
Been liked: 394 times
Contact:

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by The Rube » Sun Sep 19 12:11 am

I let it run a few minutes to make sure the temp is where it is where I like it to be.

Craw-sticking: when the water pressure is sh* in a hotel. I want that shower to kick my butt with pressure.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 20710
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 736 times
Age: 55

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Greyeagle » Sun Sep 19 8:00 am

Or at hotels when the shower head is too low. Hate that.
:M: :M2: Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers! :M2: :M:

User avatar
MNNavy
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1747
Joined: Thu Apr 10 9:14 pm
Location: Lakeville, MN
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 62 times

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by MNNavy » Sun Sep 19 8:38 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Sun Sep 19 8:00 am
Or at hotels when the shower head is too low. Hate that.
Welcome to my world. At 6'4", that's every hotel I stay at. :chainsaw:
"It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance." - Thomas Sowell
"Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." - Sir Winston Churchill

User avatar
Viking
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3150
Joined: Fri Feb 11 3:07 pm
Location: Searching for the elusive beer tree
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 65 times
Age: 52

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Viking » Sun Sep 19 9:31 am

MNNavy wrote:
Sun Sep 19 8:38 am
Greyeagle wrote:
Sun Sep 19 8:00 am
Or at hotels when the shower head is too low. Hate that.
Welcome to my world. At 6'4", that's every hotel I stay at. :chainsaw:
Try 6'7"... :wall:
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 20710
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 736 times
Age: 55

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Greyeagle » Sun Sep 19 9:57 am

Viking wrote:
Sun Sep 19 9:31 am
MNNavy wrote:
Sun Sep 19 8:38 am
Greyeagle wrote:
Sun Sep 19 8:00 am
Or at hotels when the shower head is too low. Hate that.
Welcome to my world. At 6'4", that's every hotel I stay at. :chainsaw:
Try 6'7"... :wall:
We had one last weekend that basically hit me at the bottom of my rib cage. I’m about 6’. It was a powerful shower and methinks Viking would have gone up a couple octaves there. :shock:
:M: :M2: Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers! :M2: :M:

User avatar
gator
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15347
Joined: Fri Apr 11 8:07 am
Location: The Bermuda Triangle of the 196
Has liked: 141 times
Been liked: 58 times
Age: 46

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by gator » Sun Sep 19 3:08 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Sun Sep 19 9:57 am
Viking wrote:
Sun Sep 19 9:31 am
MNNavy wrote:
Sun Sep 19 8:38 am
Greyeagle wrote:
Sun Sep 19 8:00 am
Or at hotels when the shower head is too low. Hate that.
Welcome to my world. At 6'4", that's every hotel I stay at. :chainsaw:
Try 6'7"... :wall:
We had one last weekend that basically hit me at the bottom of my rib cage. I’m about 6’. It was a powerful shower and methinks Viking would have gone up a couple octaves there. :shock:
LoL...

I was in shower at a campground and I was taller then the shower head and I'm 5'11. Plus you had to hit a button on the shower knob to run the water. And each increment was about 30 seconds.
"Sometimes it's fun to poke a stick in a hornets' nest just to hear the buzzing".
- Pat Sajak

"You're the Donald Trump of GPL... #fakenews"
- The Rube (7/1/17) @ Ansari's - Eagan, MN

***
KEEP YOUR STICK ON THE ICE
:trashpc:
The poster formerly known as gatorice

User avatar
gator
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15347
Joined: Fri Apr 11 8:07 am
Location: The Bermuda Triangle of the 196
Has liked: 141 times
Been liked: 58 times
Age: 46

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by gator » Sun Sep 19 3:10 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Sep 18 9:02 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Sep 18 5:46 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Sep 18 5:41 pm
I run the water a good five minutes before I think of going into the shower.
Jeez are you guys using 10-gallon water heaters? :mrgreen:
At home I need 30 seconds to verify water temp cause I know where the handle should be. But in a hotel, never get in until you know what temp the water is coming out so you can adjust accordingly.
It takes me about 5 seconds. Just hop in and go!!!
"Sometimes it's fun to poke a stick in a hornets' nest just to hear the buzzing".
- Pat Sajak

"You're the Donald Trump of GPL... #fakenews"
- The Rube (7/1/17) @ Ansari's - Eagan, MN

***
KEEP YOUR STICK ON THE ICE
:trashpc:
The poster formerly known as gatorice

User avatar
fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4055
Joined: Mon Apr 18 9:45 pm
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 131 times
Age: 35

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by fightclub30 » Fri Sep 24 10:16 pm

I've got a new neighbor, and we really aren't starting off on the right foot... at all.

Every morning he takes either his Harley Davidson or Lifted diesel pickup to work at 5:45am. Apparently Harleys and Diesel trucks need to be revved several times before you can back them out of the driveway? Did you know that? Because I didn't... We could be eating dinner and we know when he is about to come home because when can hear him enter the neighborhood on either vehicle. Asleep in bed, we can hear him come up the driveway and the echo of the exhaust from inside his garage, which is unfortunately next to our bedroom windows. I asked him over the weekend if he could do something about the noise, specifically the Harley. "My last neighbors complained about it, and its a trademarked sound. So let me tell you it won't go anywhere before you waste your time making a complaint."

He lets out his two German shepherds who seem to enjoy having who can bark the loudest contests the entire time they are outside regardless of time of day, oftentimes before he leaves for work at 5:45am. If I know your schedule due to the noise coming from your house... its a problem!!

Tonight he decides it is a good time to have a bonfire (fine) and blow off a bunch of fireworks, which wakes up both my kids. I went outside and asked him to stop the fireworks, and got a "Relax, its a Friday night, we're just having some fun."

I am seriously going to lose my cool if I don't get some sleep soon. He's barely been here a month, and I have had enough. I don't want to be That Guy, but I am getting close to just calling the local police department.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 33605
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 392 times
Been liked: 394 times
Contact:

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by The Rube » Fri Sep 24 10:21 pm

Can't really do anything about the vehicles. They are both loud, no matter what (used to live next to a similar neighbor).

The fireworks, though...COULD be a thing. If they are illegal, or making excessive noise outside city ordinance hours (usually 8am-10pm)...
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4055
Joined: Mon Apr 18 9:45 pm
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 131 times
Age: 35

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by fightclub30 » Fri Sep 24 10:35 pm

I had a neighbor with a Harley before, and I don't remember it being anywhere near this loud. I know its a loud vehicle, and it can help people notice them on the freeway (if they cant see them, maybe they can hear them kind of thing), but this seems over the top. I never head that neighbor turn off the highway and enter the neighborhood. I could hear him outside in the driveway but once he was out of the cul-de-sac I couldn't hear him. Maybe he was just polite and didn't open it up, or stay in first gear through the neighborhood (making assumptions). I also never recall him leaving at 5:45am maybe that is the difference.

I know diesel trucks are loud and stinky. And people like to have the idle before they drive away. But this clearly has an aftermarket exhaust helping it be extra loud. There is very little "factory" left on this truck from the looks of it. It is extremely loud. Additionally, I have no idea how the bumper height is legal, because in my VW golf, I would be instantly decapitated being in an accident with it. But that is a whole different discussion.

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9962
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 190 times
Age: 48

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Steve MN » Fri Sep 24 10:35 pm

Speaking from personal experience... Harleys are not all that loud from the factory. Are they louder than most passenger cars, or a Gold Wing or something? Sure... but the idiots that have to rev up the engine to make windows rattle are just being :censored:
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 4104
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 263 times

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Karlsson » Fri Sep 24 11:26 pm

Harley's do have a trademarked sound, but not a trademarked volume. Red lining them several times before taking off isn't required for operation.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 33605
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 392 times
Been liked: 394 times
Contact:

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by The Rube » Fri Sep 24 11:44 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Fri Sep 24 11:26 pm
Harley's do have a trademarked sound, but not a trademarked volume. Red lining them several times before taking off isn't required for operation.
Agreed, but they are louder anyways. Diesel trucks? They wake ME up, and I wake up to almost nothing. Not even revving, just starting up.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8973
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 533 times
Been liked: 693 times
Age: 34

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Sep 25 12:31 am

Sounds like this guy has a small dick, and acts like a big one.

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11916
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 515 times
Age: 46

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Sep 25 6:10 am

Steve MN wrote:
Fri Sep 24 10:35 pm
Speaking from personal experience... Harleys are not all that loud from the factory. Are they louder than most passenger cars, or a Gold Wing or something? Sure... but the idiots that have to rev up the engine to make windows rattle are just being :censored:
At my last house I had two neighbors with Harleys. One would slowly drive down the road when he left early in the morning. The other would let her rip and rattle the windows.

I also had the guy across the street who had a lifted diesel. He would let his truck idle for 60-90 minutes before he’d leave in the morning. He ran a roofing company so he worked long hours and would wake up at 4 am and immediately turn on his truck (which was only parked on the street and usually had a giant trailer attached). Then he’d get ready for the day and eat breakfast and leave around sunrise.

User avatar
g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6552
Joined: Sun Jan 21 12:39 pm
Location: Killin' em in Kato!
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 112 times
Age: 48

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by g-manpuck » Sat Sep 25 7:52 am

Speaking from the viewpoint of maintaining four diesel pickups in my fleet at work, NONE of them are loud. You can hold a conversation standing next to them in fact. The noise level of OEM diesel trucks has drastically been reduced as emission standards have increased and horsepower has actually increased. If I drive one of them home I can't barely hear the truck in my house with the windows open when I start them up, for context my house sits about 25 feet back from the street. Of course, none of them have aftermarket exhaust or modifications.

The guy is just a dick in my opinion. I leave my house at 4:45 to go to the Y to workout most every day or leave at 5:30 other days to go to work. I make it a point to be a stealthy as I can leaving the house and driving out of the neighborhood.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 33605
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 392 times
Been liked: 394 times
Contact:

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by The Rube » Sat Sep 25 7:55 am

I think we've all established that this guy's name is Richard; just have different experiences on loudness of things. ;)
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 18053
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 566 times
Been liked: 560 times
Contact:

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Sep 25 11:00 am

It would not surprise me if he had the exhaust on his bike altered from the factory settings in order to make it louder. However not sure if your city (or HOA if there is one) has any ordinances surrounding noise levels. Where I live there are more bikes on the road than cars and some have them have been intentionally manipulated to the point I'd like to hammerpunch the rider.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
gator
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15347
Joined: Fri Apr 11 8:07 am
Location: The Bermuda Triangle of the 196
Has liked: 141 times
Been liked: 58 times
Age: 46

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by gator » Sat Sep 25 4:07 pm

At my nephew’s 7th grade flag football game. Between games some of the mother’s from the opposing team headed to their vehicles to top off their cocktails…

Serious… you need to drink at your kid’s 7th grade flag football game?!?!?!
"Sometimes it's fun to poke a stick in a hornets' nest just to hear the buzzing".
- Pat Sajak

"You're the Donald Trump of GPL... #fakenews"
- The Rube (7/1/17) @ Ansari's - Eagan, MN

***
KEEP YOUR STICK ON THE ICE
:trashpc:
The poster formerly known as gatorice

Post Reply