Things That Stick In Your Craw

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 203 times

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by MNGophers29 » Tue Jun 29 11:23 am

People who ask dumb questions.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by Kelly Red » Tue Jun 29 1:09 pm

Holy Hell! We just returned from 4 days in Seattle and Olympia visiting family. Temps ranged from 104-109, with neither house having air conditioning. It was brutal. Yesterday at 109 we literally sat under a sprinkler all afternoon. The heat broke last night and dropped 30 degrees by 9:00.
Honestly I’m surprised the road to Hell is paved at all.
-blatant steal from Twitter

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 392 times
Been liked: 394 times

Post by The Rube » Tue Jun 29 9:46 pm

5 O.T. wrote:
Tue Jun 29 11:03 am
The origin of the term "TicketBastard" may very well go back to when Ticketmaster started in 1976. However, Pearl Jam is widely credited with popularizing the term in 1994 with a boycott campaign against ticketmaster known as TicketBastard.

The company I worked for at the time had exclusive merchandising rights with Pearl Jam. We worked with Pearl Jam to produce their full range of merchandise sold on tour, through the Pearl Jam Ten Club fan club and to retail. The Pearl Jam TicketBastard boycott and cancelled touring cost the band and our company a ton of money in lost ticket sales and merchandising sales. :censored:

From Time magazine:

https://www.seattleweekly.com/music/pea ... ketmaster/
Saw Pearl Jam in 1995 (Milwaukee) during this ordeal. Buddy was a Ten Club member, I don't recall if they went through another service, or just sold tickets themselves. The name on the ticket had to match ID, and was allowed a +1. It was something like $20, sat 9th row in the amphitheater. HELL of a show, too.

The setlist of the show I was at:
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pearl-ja ... 66337.html
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Tue Jun 29 10:37 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Tue Jun 29 11:23 am
People who ask dumb questions.
Along the same lines, in the future when some dumbass says something that doesn’t fit with the site’s standards and those that contribute to said dumbassery, I think they should get a week long timeout and then their posts deleted rather than locking the thread. Some of us follow the guidelines and appreciate being able to post certain things as it may be a stress reliever.
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Jun 29 10:46 pm

A warning shot, then if there is a follow-up, THEN the timeout.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Tue Jun 29 10:49 pm

The Rube wrote:
Tue Jun 29 10:46 pm
A warning shot, then if there is a follow-up, THEN the timeout.
I am on board with this. There were a few “warning shots” today, right away too and it still continued.
Doug Woog - 1990

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Jun 29 10:51 pm

There were a few, yes.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 190 times

Post by Steve MN » Wed Jun 30 12:10 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Jun 28 10:15 am
They are looking for the dumbass who caused the big bicycle crash.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/poli ... h-n1272495
And, they found her:
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/police ... nce-crash/
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 515 times

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Jun 30 1:47 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Wed Jun 30 12:10 pm
Cowgirl wrote:

And, they found her:
The article states one of the riders had to withdraw the next day after finding out he had broken both arms.... yeesh.

Imagine the work that goes into training for the Tour de France as well as all the time and money spent supporting the athlete, only to have it taken away on Day 1 because some self-important jerk had to hold an enormous sign out into the road to get on TV. I am glad she has been arrested. Sounds like she'll have to pay a fine.

I could understand if the rider's sponsor sued the woman to recoup some of their costs. Although I don't think she deserves to be financially ruined over this, I would sue for a quantity in proportion to her ability to pay. Wealthy = big lawsuit. Poor = no lawsuit.

Zwak
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by Zwak » Wed Jun 30 1:58 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Jun 30 1:47 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:

And, they found her:
The article states one of the riders had to withdraw the next day after finding out he had broken both arms.... yeesh.

Imagine the work that goes into training for the Tour de France as well as all the time and money spent supporting the athlete, only to have it taken away on Day 1 because some self-important jerk had to hold an enormous sign out into the road to get on TV. I am glad she has been arrested. Sounds like she'll have to pay a fine.

I could understand if the rider's sponsor sued the woman to recoup some of their costs. Although I don't think she deserves to be financially ruined over this, I would sue for a quantity in proportion to her ability to pay. Wealthy = big lawsuit. Poor = no lawsuit.
Totally agree. This was boneheaded all the way around. Couldn't she see that the cyclists were pretty much taking up the whole width of the road and that it might not be a good idea to step into it? I too am glad she got caught.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Wed Jun 30 2:22 pm

One other thing that you can see more clearly in some of the video footage is that he doesn't just run into the stupid sign, he clips her arm in the process. Given how the sign bent, I suspect he could have managed that part, but running into her arm slowed him down and deflected him enough to cause the complete mess.

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 534 times
Been liked: 693 times

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Jun 30 10:49 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:

And, they found her:

I thought about that too, how horrible to have your chances dashed after all the hard work and training. I’d be furious. I agree the offender shouldn’t be ruined, but beyond a fine there should be some sort of service involved. Helping out with chores for the the family of the poor guy who broke his arms? Helping on a safety committee for bike race organizing? Working with a charity to collect money to provide bikes for kids? I know we are an extraordinarily litigious people these days. Hopefully some good can come of things like this and awareness for the future.

I do hope this person is truly sorry for her actions. I doubt they were intentional but still. Use your brain. She should be partly responsible for costs involved for all the people who suffered injury and now need to pay to fix equipment.

Glad they found her - but curious if she came forth or had to be ratted on?

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Jun 30 10:56 pm

IIRC, she was ratted. There was a search.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Thu Jul 01 12:36 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Wed Jun 30 10:49 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:

And, they found her:

I thought about that too, how horrible to have your chances dashed after all the hard work and training. I’d be furious. I agree the offender shouldn’t be ruined, but beyond a fine there should be some sort of service involved. Helping out with chores for the the family of the poor guy who broke his arms? Helping on a safety committee for bike race organizing? Working with a charity to collect money to provide bikes for kids? I know we are an extraordinarily litigious people these days. Hopefully some good can come of things like this and awareness for the future.

I do hope this person is truly sorry for her actions. I doubt they were intentional but still. Use your brain. She should be partly responsible for costs involved for all the people who suffered injury and now need to pay to fix equipment.

Glad they found her - but curious if she came forth or had to be ratted on?
My preferred punishment would be that she's shoved into a mud puddle and kicked in the head with an iron boot.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jul 01 2:16 pm

Apparently the Tour de France is not pressing charges.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Fri Jul 02 12:28 pm

Good grief, you work your whole life to become an Olympic athlete, you win your slot and then you’re disqualified for smoking a joint. Talk about harsh!
I’m not saying she should have known better but jeez, it’s not like steroids.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Jul 02 12:55 pm

Out of curiosity, is it currently stated somewhere, ie the athletes should know that marijuana use is prohibited and terms for disqualification? If so then I don’t feel bad if thems the current rules.

Now whether that should be a rule is certainly open for debate!!

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 263 times

Post by Karlsson » Fri Jul 02 2:33 pm

It is entirely possible to be of two minds on this at the same time, as mentioned.

1. You know it is banned, don't do it.
2. It is ridiculous that this is banned.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Fri Jul 02 2:51 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Fri Jul 02 12:55 pm
Out of curiosity, is it currently stated somewhere, ie the athletes should know that marijuana use is prohibited and terms for disqualification? If so then I don’t feel bad if thems the current rules.

I’m sure it is stated. The story I read said she violated international qualification rules on listed banned substances. I guess my comment was more along the lines of why on earth did she risk it? All that work, sweat and sacrifice and you crapped it away for a toke. :ddown:

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 231 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by trixR4kids » Fri Jul 02 4:21 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Fri Jul 02 8:42 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Fri Jul 02 4:21 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Exactly! The mind may trick you into thinking you are enhanced, then you giggle hysterically about it.
Doug Woog - 1990

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 144 times

Post by Bigbeer » Fri Jul 02 8:49 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Fri Jul 02 2:51 pm
Cowgirl wrote:

I’m sure it is stated. The story I read said she violated international qualification rules on listed banned substances. I guess my comment was more along the lines of why on earth did she risk it? All that work, sweat and sacrifice and you crapped it away for a toke. :ddown:
Her Mom died recently and she went through a low time. She owned up to her mistake and didn’t make any excuses.

She’s from Oregon so it’s legal where she lives. It’s also the opposite of any kind of performance enhancer so the whole thing is dumb.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Fri Jul 02 11:21 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Fri Jul 02 8:49 pm
Kelly Red wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:

Her Mom died recently and she went through a low time. She owned up to her mistake and didn’t make any excuses.

She’s from Oregon so it’s legal where she lives. It’s also the opposite of any kind of performance enhancer so the whole thing is dumb.
:lol: Yeah, it’s dumb. I agree pot isn’t a performance drug, but she knew the rules, hard times or not. Hell if SNOWBOARDERS can pass the test there’s no excuse.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 144 times

Post by Bigbeer » Sat Jul 03 12:13 am

Kelly Red wrote:
Fri Jul 02 11:21 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
Kelly Red wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:

:lol: Yeah, it’s dumb. I agree pot isn’t a performance drug, but she knew the rules, hard times or not. Hell if SNOWBOARDERS can pass the test there’s no excuse.
Didn’t they add skateboarding this time too? No way those dudes are stoners....
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

5 O.T.
Veteran
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by 5 O.T. » Sat Jul 03 9:39 am

Kelly Red wrote:
Fri Jul 02 11:21 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
Kelly Red wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:

She violated the rules that all athletes that engage in international competition are required to adhere to. She has no one to blame but herself. Plenty of reasons to ban marijuana use and to enforce penalties.

Marijuana is a Schedule 1 drug according to Federal law.
https://www.dea.gov/drug-information/drug-scheduling

World Anti doping Agency International Standard Prohibited List
https://www.wada-ama.org/sites/default/ ... ist_en.pdf

USADA Tokyo Anti-Doping Information
https://www.usada.org/athletes/substanc ... juana-faq/

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 566 times
Been liked: 560 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Jul 03 2:34 pm

There is zero reason to ban it, but she got herself kicked by not following the rules and she has already taken responsibility for it.
Currently under construction.

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 231 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by trixR4kids » Sat Jul 03 8:16 pm

I don’t think there’s a single person on the planet debating whether she technically violated a rule.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 195 times

Post by Norm » Sat Jul 03 10:18 pm

It makes zero sense to me to come to a complete stop at a stop sign when there is no traffic in any direction. But I do it because thems the rules.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sun Jul 04 6:17 am

Norm wrote:
Sat Jul 03 10:18 pm
It makes zero sense to me to come to a complete stop at a stop sign when there is no traffic in any direction. But I do it because thems the rules.
I don't. But I get it.

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 246 times

Post by davescharf » Tue Jul 06 7:51 pm

Last month my wife and I had to protest a charge on our iTunes account because Apple wouldn't reverse a $30 annual charge that we were charged twice for and it kept cancelling the service we use to have an anonymous phone number for our son's birth mom. Apparently because I had to go to American Express to protest the charge to get the second charge removed they have now banned my wife's AMEX card from ever using the iTunes store again.

It's just so annoying that I spent a week trying to resolve it with Apple and they wouldn't reverse it. It's easy enough to use another card but it's still really annoying
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Jul 06 8:08 pm

davescharf wrote:
Tue Jul 06 7:51 pm
Last month my wife and I had to protest a charge on our iTunes account because Apple wouldn't reverse a $30 annual charge that we were charged twice for and it kept cancelling the service we use to have an anonymous phone number for our son's birth mom. Apparently because I had to go to American Express to protest the charge to get the second charge removed they have now banned my wife's AMEX card from ever using the iTunes store again.

It's just so annoying that I spent a week trying to resolve it with Apple and they wouldn't reverse it. It's easy enough to use another card but it's still really annoying
But Apple is the bestest company. ;)

That really sucks, man. :x

TheRube33 on UnTappd

gator
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 141 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by gator » Tue Jul 13 4:15 pm

The PowerTrip Morning Show… I like the show, Chris Hawkey, Cory Cove, and A.J. Mansour are great. Even the side kicks they bring on add to the show. Though the more and more I listen… the more and more Meatsauce has to go. The guy is an annoying clown.
"Sometimes it's fun to poke a stick in a hornets' nest just to hear the buzzing".
- Pat Sajak

"You're the Donald Trump of GPL... #fakenews"
- The Rube (7/1/17) @ Ansari's - Eagan, MN

KEEP YOUR STICK ON THE ICE
:trashpc:
The poster formerly known as gatorice

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Jul 13 4:39 pm

Chris Hawkey is everything that is wrong with radio. At least Meatsauce is somewhat playing a bit.

gator
Golden
Golden

Post by gator » Tue Jul 13 5:20 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Jul 13 4:39 pm
Chris Hawkey is everything that is wrong with radio. At least Meatsauce is somewhat playing a bit.
Personally, Meatsauce is everything wrong with radio. And his comedy at the clubs is even worst. He classless…
"Sometimes it's fun to poke a stick in a hornets' nest just to hear the buzzing".
- Pat Sajak

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Jul 13 10:08 pm

gator wrote:
Tue Jul 13 4:15 pm
The PowerTrip Morning Show… I like the show, Chris Hawkey, Cory Cove, and A.J. Mansour are great. Even the side kicks they bring on add to the show. Though the more and more I listen… the more and more Meatsauce has to go. The guy is an annoying clown.
When they don't talk over each other (which is often, even during the 10-15 minutes I hear the show), it's okay. However, it's a complete sh*show half the time.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by fightclub30 » Wed Jul 14 12:05 am

This is now the 5th time we have tired to schedule a Recall Repair for my wife's Ford Edge, only to have it cancelled the night before for "Parts are not available to perform this repair."

And now it is a 2nd dealership who is denying the work for ultimately the same reason; "Lack of Service history".

They tell me there is a national parts shortage (then don't let me schedule the appointment when I call in...) for these parts. I explain that I am getting letters from Ford saying "Parts are available please schedule your appointment". I am then told that yes they have parts, but not many, and they are reserving those parts for customers with a service history. I have no service history with any dealership. It's also great to know that you don't care about the fact that I bought the car from you or parts from you; "We don't really make any money on parts."

This is no doubt bad practice, but seems borderline illegal. I believe there is some court case where a manufacturer cannot deny your warranty because of work done at an independent garage or work done on your own. This isn't even warranty work, it is a recall!

I hate dealerships so, so, so much!!! I think the Minnesota AG will be getting a call in the coming days.

I guess dealerships don't make money selling cars or parts, they make it all in the financing of 84 month loans, and the extended warranties.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Wed Jul 14 7:35 am

fightclub30 wrote:
Wed Jul 14 12:05 am
This is now the 5th time we have tired to schedule a Recall Repair for my wife's Ford Edge, only to have it cancelled the night before for "Parts are not available to perform this repair."

And now it is a 2nd dealership who is denying the work for ultimately the same reason; "Lack of Service history".

They tell me there is a national parts shortage (then don't let me schedule the appointment when I call in...) for these parts. I explain that I am getting letters from Ford saying "Parts are available please schedule your appointment". I am then told that yes they have parts, but not many, and they are reserving those parts for customers with a service history. I have no service history with any dealership. It's also great to know that you don't care about the fact that I bought the car from you or parts from you; "We don't really make any money on parts."

This is no doubt bad practice, but seems borderline illegal. I believe there is some court case where a manufacturer cannot deny your warranty because of work done at an independent garage or work done on your own. This isn't even warranty work, it is a recall!

I hate dealerships so, so, so much!!! I think the Minnesota AG will be getting a call in the coming days.

I guess dealerships don't make money selling cars or parts, they make it all in the financing of 84 month loans, and the extended warranties.
Last figures I saw was 46% of auto dealer profit was from service and 29% from financing.

This story alone almost makes me never want to consider buying a Ford in the future. I think you should contact their corporate folks to let them know this is happening in their dealer network. You could also tell them you have no issues putting them on the lawsuit if that recall were to cause a future problem for your family ;)

To your point this is exactly why people hate dealerships

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Wed Jul 14 9:34 am

Most dealerships are happy to do recall repairs. As Dave points out, they make a HUGE portion of their profit from the service department. They're not really making money on the parts, they're making money on the labor, and it's a guaranteed payment, no having to argue with the warranty company or anything on if something is covered... if the manufacturer issued a recall, they WILL get paid for the work. I had a car that had a recall issue that I kept getting repair offers on (from different dealerships than I bought it at) for a couple years after I'd sold it to a "we buy junk cars" group.

What I don't understand is why, once they have a repair scheduled, they don't set aside the parts needed. Once or twice, ok, maybe something went wrong on an earlier repair for the same issue, but FIVE times?!?!?

JC65
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 81 times

Post by JC65 » Wed Jul 14 9:44 am

Steve MN wrote:
Wed Jul 14 9:34 am
What I don't understand is why, once they have a repair scheduled, they don't set aside the parts needed. Once or twice, ok, maybe something went wrong on an earlier repair for the same issue, but FIVE times?!?!?
I expect they're scheduling service based on when they expect to receive the part, and the part isn't showing up.

The supply chain people I'm hearing from told me about EIGHTEEN WEEK lead times for some of the parts we rely on. They suspect a lot of that is padding and I sure do hope they're right.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Wed Jul 14 9:57 am

JC65 wrote:
Wed Jul 14 9:44 am
Steve MN wrote:
I expect they're scheduling service based on when they expect to receive the part, and the part isn't showing up.

The supply chain people I'm hearing from told me about EIGHTEEN WEEK lead times for some of the parts we rely on. They suspect a lot of that is padding and I sure do hope they're right.
I suppose that makes sense... but that's a HORRIBLE practice.... make the customer shuffle their life to get in to get a safety issue fixed, and keep cancelling?

5 O.T.
Veteran
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by 5 O.T. » Wed Jul 14 11:14 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Jun 23 2:17 pm
JC65 wrote:
Wed Jun 23 11:36 am
When seeing videos like this I just hope the motorcyclists only hurt themselves and not anyone else. I know it's callous but I can't help but think "serves him right" when seeing the video above.
My softball team had a new kid one year. He was 21-22 and thought he was the world's greatest motorcyclist. He would not stop talking about how great he was. Once he found out one of our teammates was a cop, he would spend hours trying to convince him they should allow special permits for riders, like him, who can do wheelies and other tricks so the cops won't harass them for it.

Then one day he was in an accident. Non-life threatening, but scary. I never had to listen to that BS again.

Goldy Guy
Rookie
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Goldy Guy » Wed Jul 14 11:29 am

We have had nothing but trouble with Sonju Ford in Two Harbors. They are by far the worst business to ever deal with. They don't stand behind their warranties and belittle you. They even blocked my wife's phone number while they had our car in their possession for eight months!! It was ridiculous. I have no idea how the service manager there has a job. Zero people skills and just a complete lack of anything. We ended up having to get it towed from their service center to a ford dealership in Duluth to finally get the needed repairs done, which were under warranty. It took a total of 10 months, all the while we were paying on a vehicle we did not have in our possession. What a mess. Never again.
Yay You!

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Jul 14 11:33 am

Goldy Guy wrote:
Wed Jul 14 11:29 am
We have had nothing but trouble with Sonju Ford in Two Harbors. They are by far the worst business to ever deal with. They don't stand behind their warranties and belittle you. They even blocked my wife's phone number while they had our car in their possession for eight months!! It was ridiculous. I have no idea how the service manager there has a job. Zero people skills and just a complete lack of anything. We ended up having to get it towed from their service center to a ford dealership in Duluth to finally get the needed repairs done, which were under warranty. It took a total of 10 months, all the while we were paying on a vehicle we did not have in our possession. What a mess. Never again.
OMG. 10 months of payments on a car you couldn't use..... :nutz:

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Wed Jul 14 12:03 pm

Goldy Guy wrote:
Yikes! Boy if that was me I’d be escalating the situation. I’d contact Ford and lodge a complaint. Those dealerships/branded service centers are linked to Ford, they need to know when one falls that far short of customer service. I would send a bullet outline to Ford, do NOT send to the GM or President. Look online and see if you can find a VP to start with. (Check Elliott Advocacy under their CAR forum for current names/emails). Besides telling them about these serious issue lapses, what do you want as compensation? They’re not going to give you 8-10 months of payments, but I’d ask for the towing charge, extended warranty if you want and a round amount for your problems. I would drive home the point you had to pay for a car you couldn’t use AND that another dealership had the repair done in minimum time. Honestly that’s outrageous.
A second email to the MN AG may also light a fire.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Jul 14 12:21 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Wed Jul 14 12:03 pm
Goldy Guy wrote:
Yikes! Boy if that was me I’d be escalating the situation. I’d contact Ford and lodge a complaint. Those dealerships/branded service centers are linked to Ford, they need to know when one falls that far short of customer service. I would send a bullet outline to Ford, do NOT send to the GM or President. Look online and see if you can find a VP to start with. (Check Elliott Advocacy under their CAR forum for current names/emails). Besides telling them about these serious issue lapses, what do you want as compensation? They’re not going to give you 8-10 months of payments, but I’d ask for the towing charge, extended warranty if you want and a round amount for your problems. I would drive home the point you had to pay for a car you couldn’t use AND that another dealership had the repair done in minimum time. Honestly that’s outrageous.
A second email to the MN AG may also light a fire.
I do love exposing people/companies for poor service/products. Don't avoid social media. Many companies will make up for your problems when they are faced with public reviews.

I once purchased two faucets for a bathroom remodel. Both of them had the same defect which caused them to leak internally. The leak caused damage to my brand new Thomasville vanity. I gave a very negative product rating on the Home Depot website. The company fell over themselves trying to make it better and, more importantly, have me remove the product review. They paid for two new faucets of my choice and paid for the cost of a new cabinet. IIRC, it cost them around $2,000 to fix the review and make it right.

gator
Golden
Golden

Post by gator » Wed Jul 14 3:20 pm

Consider myself lucky... I bought the Max Care Plan when I bought my Dodge Journey. And it has paid for itself. I've had a couple problems with one Dodge dealership honoring the plan. Though you just don't take their BS and they'll fold. My plan is to drive my Journey into the ground or until Dodge pays me out on the plan. When I'm at a Dodge dealership and in the shop talking to an advisor or mechanic. They all agree, if I'm fine with driving a older vehicle and fine with some minor inconveniences... keep driving it.

Btw... Bloomington Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram is the best dealership I've ever dealt with in Minnesota. Followed by Dodge of Burnsville.
- Pat Sajak

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Wed Jul 14 5:38 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Wed Jul 14 9:57 am
JC65 wrote:
Wed Jul 14 9:44 am
Steve MN wrote:

I suppose that makes sense... but that's a HORRIBLE practice.... make the customer shuffle their life to get in to get a safety issue fixed, and keep cancelling?
I had this happen with my Nissan a couple times where they expected the part then didn't have it. It was pretty annoying but the second time it happened I actually contacted the guy who sold me both my Nissans and confirmed it was indeed an issue because he knew I'd find out anyways.

However, in Fightclub's case they didn't play the "you aren't a good service customer" card. That's beyond horrible.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Wed Jul 14 6:39 pm

I see a post about getting a lawyer involved. One thing I’ve learned from Elliott Advocacy is NEVER use this threat as it’s the nuclear option. Once you say you’re going to call a lawyer or tell them you’ve already spoken to one they will have nothing to do with you. You go to their legal team and that’s who you deal with.
It’s the same with taking a complaint immediately to the top…when the CEO or President says no, you’ve run out of options, no VP is going to then say yes.
Always send a clear email, no attachments, and keep it short. They won’t read a “novel”. Lay out the problem. Tell them what you want to resolve the problem. Be REASONABLE!

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Jul 14 11:12 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Wed Jul 14 6:39 pm
I see a post about getting a lawyer involved. One thing I’ve learned from Elliott Advocacy is NEVER use this threat as it’s the nuclear option. Once you say you’re going to call a lawyer or tell them you’ve already spoken to one they will have nothing to do with you. You go to their legal team and that’s who you deal with.
It’s the same with taking a complaint immediately to the top…when the CEO or President says no, you’ve run out of options, no VP is going to then say yes.
Always send a clear email, no attachments, and keep it short. They won’t read a “novel”. Lay out the problem. Tell them what you want to resolve the problem. Be REASONABLE!
You have some solid points in this, but not all of it is accurate, at least in my job. Full disclosure, I handle installations for Home Depot pretty much everything north of 694 and all of North Dakota. While I have seen it all, most of it is generally easy to deal with. The first thing I will say, if you are fair and reasonable to deal with, you will get the best resolution you can get. If you kick and scream and do whatever, I am much less likely to deal with you that way. Let me clear this up too, I have been doing this for 20+ years, I am VERY good at my job (not cocky, just a fact) and while most think they are the most important issue on the table, they are not.

Threatening an attorney actually helps me out. I know how courts decide things, I know the law, I know what I can and can't do. If you tell me you have an attorney, I will not tell you I am not talking with you (this is a myth), but I will tell you that is your right and I am good with that, but I would prefer to work this out locally, getting your attorney involved with my corporate attorney gets messy and no one wins.

People threaten the AGO (Attorney Generals Office) of the BBB (Better Business Bureau) and all that those 2 agencies care about if that we respond with a reasonable resolution. Meaning, if you are upset with your install or whatever, as long as we are making reasonable attempts to resolve, they are fine with that.

At the end of the day, I would just keep asking for the next level of management until I am heard. Be prepared though, while your particular carpet install is the most important inconvenience in your life, in this day and age, delays are inevitable and because your carpet didn't get installed on the schedule day because the crew called in with a positive COVID test and you have a graduation party, it does not entitle you to a full refund or even a large settlement.
Doug Woog - 1990

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Thu Jul 15 10:43 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Wed Jul 14 11:12 pm
Kelly Red wrote:
You have some solid points in this, but not all of it is accurate, at least in my job. Full disclosure, I handle installations for Home Depot pretty much everything north of 694 and all of North Dakota. While I have seen it all, most of it is generally easy to deal with. The first thing I will say, if you are fair and reasonable to deal with, you will get the best resolution you can get. If you kick and scream and do whatever, I am much less likely to deal with you that way. Let me clear this up too, I have been doing this for 20+ years, I am VERY good at my job (not cocky, just a fact) and while most think they are the most important issue on the table, they are not.

Threatening an attorney actually helps me out. I know how courts decide things, I know the law, I know what I can and can't do. If you tell me you have an attorney, I will not tell you I am not talking with you (this is a myth), but I will tell you that is your right and I am good with that, but I would prefer to work this out locally, getting your attorney involved with my corporate attorney gets messy and no one wins.

People threaten the AGO (Attorney Generals Office) of the BBB (Better Business Bureau) and all that those 2 agencies care about if that we respond with a reasonable resolution. Meaning, if you are upset with your install or whatever, as long as we are making reasonable attempts to resolve, they are fine with that.

At the end of the day, I would just keep asking for the next level of management until I am heard. Be prepared though, while your particular carpet install is the most important inconvenience in your life, in this day and age, delays are inevitable and because your carpet didn't get installed on the schedule day because the crew called in with a positive COVID test and you have a graduation party, it does not entitle you to a full refund or even a large settlement.
Thanks for the real-life insight. I’m passing on advice from Elliott Advocacy, they are big “don’t involve lawyers” :lol:
That and always be polite! I love reading their columns, mostly because we are avid travelers and I’ve learned a ton from other peoples mistakes.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Jul 15 11:00 am

Trying to buy football tickets (single game vs. OSU, student season for the boy) and the website keeps crashing when actually trying to reach the ticket buy page. I'm going to be in town for that game and it would be my first opportunity to see the Bank.

:censored: :chainsaw: :censored: :chainsaw:

gator
Golden
Golden

Post by gator » Thu Jul 15 1:39 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Jul 15 11:00 am
Trying to buy football tickets (single game vs. OSU, student season for the boy) and the website keeps crashing when actually trying to reach the ticket buy page. I'm going to be in town for that game and it would be my first opportunity to see the Bank.

Sounds like the NPS website for buying passes to Glacier Nat'l Park and Going to the Sun Road. I have no problems getting my ticket, though I read all the time in a GNP fb page. People are saying the GTTSR passes sell out in 3 minutes every day.
- Pat Sajak

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Thu Jul 15 3:24 pm

gator wrote:
Thu Jul 15 1:39 pm
Slap Shot wrote:

Sounds like the NPS website for buying passes to Glacier Nat'l Park and Going to the Sun Road. I have no problems getting my ticket, though I read all the time in a GNP fb page. People are saying the GTTSR passes sell out in 3 minutes every day.
The national Parks are getting huge numbers of visitors as a result of COVID. We are a little worried about being able to get into Arches and Zion next month when we go. There is talk of ticketed entries and such but I don’t think it will happen until September if it does.

Generally we’ve taken our vacations to some pretty busy places the two weeks leading up to Labor Day with very few crowds. I hope it’s similar this year since a large part of the country will have kids just going back to school

Zwak
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by Zwak » Thu Jul 15 3:29 pm

davescharf wrote:
Thu Jul 15 3:24 pm
gator wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:

The national Parks are getting huge numbers of visitors as a result of COVID. We are a little worried about being able to get into Arches and Zion next month when we go. There is talk of ticketed entries and such but I don’t think it will happen until September if it does.

Generally we’ve taken our vacations to some pretty busy places the two weeks leading up to Labor Day with very few crowds. I hope it’s similar this year since a large part of the country will have kids just going back to school
Always a great trip to check out the Ball of Twine in Darwin. 😄
GPL's official source of trivia.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 736 times

Post by Greyeagle » Thu Jul 15 3:32 pm

Zwak wrote:
Thu Jul 15 3:29 pm
Allow for plenty of time, traffic can get tied up there.

I will show myself out....
:M: :M2: Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers! :M2: :M:

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Thu Jul 15 3:42 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Thu Jul 15 3:32 pm
Zwak wrote:

Better hurry before we string you up

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Thu Jul 15 5:56 pm

davescharf wrote:
Thu Jul 15 3:42 pm
Greyeagle wrote:
Thu Jul 15 3:32 pm
Zwak wrote:

Better hurry before we string you up
Don’t get your panties in a knot.

gator
Golden
Golden

Post by gator » Thu Jul 15 7:20 pm

Try having a cabin 10 minutes of Glacier. It gets crazier every years for the past 5 years. Covid isn’t helping either. It’s amazing how tourists, especially Californians think they are entitled with no consequences.
- Pat Sajak

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 195 times

Post by Norm » Thu Jul 15 9:41 pm

davescharf wrote:
Thu Jul 15 3:24 pm
gator wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:

In the past we've had good luck the week before Labor Day as so many people are in "back to school mode."

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Jul 17 9:39 pm

9:25 am this was posted on Tweeter:

MN State Patrol
@MnDPS_MSP
If you are going to drink, stay home or line up a sober ride. Our trooper arrested a driver at Highway 169 and Crosstown who blew a .402. He also had a juvenile passenger in his vehicle. Don’t put others at risk. Drive sober, drive smart.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sat Jul 17 9:49 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sat Jul 17 9:39 pm

MN State Patrol
@MnDPS_MSP
If you are going to drink, stay home or line up a sober ride. Our trooper arrested a driver at Highway 169 and Crosstown who blew a .402. He also had a juvenile passenger in his vehicle. Don’t put others at risk. Drive sober, drive smart.
.402? Good god...

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Jul 17 10:23 pm

davescharf wrote:
Sat Jul 17 9:49 pm
The Rube wrote:
Sat Jul 17 9:39 pm

MN State Patrol
@MnDPS_MSP
.402? Good god...
With a kid. That’s very sad. Glad they didn’t kill anyone this time.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Jul 17 10:40 pm

How did that person even make it vertical much less ambulate to a vehicle, get the key into the ignition, and make it even ten feet down a road? Must be a pro drinker.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Jul 17 10:50 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Jul 17 10:40 pm
How did that person even make it vertical much less ambulate to a vehicle, get the key into the ignition, and make it even ten feet down a road? Must be a pro drinker.
Functioning alcoholic. For those that listened to the Howard Stern radio show, a regular guest, Hank The Angry Drunken Dwarf (the name went through some changes over the years) regularly blew around a .30 on the show. That was his functioning level. :shock:

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Jul 17 10:52 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sat Jul 17 10:50 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Jul 17 10:40 pm
Functioning alcoholic. For those that listened to the Howard Stern radio show, a regular guest, Hank The Angry Drunken Dwarf (the name went through some changes over the years) regularly blew around a .30 on the show. That was his functioning level. :shock:
I think functioning at that level can’t be very good. 😂

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Jul 17 10:55 pm

It is NOT good. Hank died young. 39 years old.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_the_ ... nken_Dwarf

Edit for a "highlight" of the link:
On March 4, 1998, Hank dressed in a pink rabbit suit, took a succession of phone calls from Stern listeners, sang karaoke to Led Zeppelin songs, and blew a .375 on a breathalyzer test.[22]

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by Beauner » Sun Jul 18 10:36 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Wed Jul 14 11:12 pm
Kelly Red wrote:

Doing what I do, I get letters from providers and customers threatening lawsuits for denying coverage or processing claims/appeals a certain way.
If it gets escalated to our legal team (it's happened probably 10 times in my 7ish years in my role, at least in cases I'm involved in), our legal team has me write up exactly what we did, why we did it, and the results. We then forward that write up to our compliance team to make sure we did everything by the book (whether it be a customer's benefit plan, a state mandate, etc.) and if it's all been done correctly our legal team essentially tells me to send them a note with my writeup that says "This was done correctly, if you want to waste your time, go ahead" 🤣
Not sure I've ever had one where legal had to actively get involved.

My favorites are the ones where it's Joe Smith, Senior VP at Joe Smith Enterprises, and he thinks he's so important that we should break laws to get him what he wants. Occasionally, if we legally can, we'll re-review something if correspondence from the customer or provider wasn't received before the review but we can find proof it was sent (mailing issues, internal routing issues, etc. can all happen) for the sake of customer service. But rarely does it change the results, in my experience.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Jul 18 10:40 pm

Only escalate if you have to. And BE POLITE. To use the current vernacular, if you become a Ken/Karen, you already lost.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Jul 23 1:46 pm

Tearing my achilles. 🤬🤬🤬

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 149 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Fri Jul 23 1:52 pm

Beauner wrote:
Fri Jul 23 1:46 pm
Tearing my achilles. 🤬🤬🤬
Sorry to hear that. That’s awful! How did it happen? Softball?

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Jul 23 2:16 pm

Beauner wrote:
Tearing my achilles. 🤬🤬🤬
Oof. Full tear?

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Jul 23 4:42 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Fri Jul 23 1:52 pm
Beauner wrote:
Tearing my achilles. 🤬🤬🤬
Yeah last night in the playoffs. Hit a double down the line. Fields were a bit uneven and I guess i stepped in the wrong spot at the wrong time. Felt a pop and then pain shot straight up through the calf.

We only had 10 guys so I played the rest of the game basically on one leg which in retrospect probably was not smart.
Last edited by Beauner on Fri Jul 23 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Jul 23 4:45 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Jul 23 2:16 pm
Beauner wrote:
Tearing my achilles. 🤬🤬🤬
Oof. Full tear?
Not sure yet. Have an appointment Wednesday with an orthopedic specialist to see the extent of the damage.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Fri Jul 23 6:35 pm

Beauner wrote:
Fri Jul 23 4:42 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
Fri Jul 23 1:52 pm
Beauner wrote:
Tearing my achilles. 🤬🤬🤬
Yeah last night in the playoffs. Hit a double down the line. Fields were a bit uneven and I guess i stepped in the wrong spot at the wrong time. Felt a pop and then pain shot straight up through the calf.

We only had 10 guys so I played the rest of the game basically on one leg which in retrospect probably was not smart.
Yikes. I’ve heard full tears you can actually see/feel the tendon rolled up in your calf. Achilles take a long time to recover from.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Jul 23 7:40 pm

Beauner wrote:
Fri Jul 23 4:45 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Jul 23 2:16 pm
Beauner wrote:
Tearing my achilles. 🤬🤬🤬
Oof. Full tear?
Not sure yet. Have an appointment Wednesday with an orthopedic specialist to see the extent of the damage.
Good luck. My BIL fully tore his and the post surgery recovery is long. Couldn’t even drive.

Seriously, I wish you luck .