Things That Stick In Your Craw

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 74 times

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by g-manpuck » Wed Feb 12 11:32 am

Kelly Red wrote:
Wed Feb 12 11:20 am
g-manpuck wrote:
Wed Feb 12 10:05 am
Target related...I don't get the whole "I can't go to Target without buying half of the store". There is nothing in Target, Walmart, or the like that I couldn't live without. If I had a bigger disposable income there would be much better places to spend my money than Target...I just don't get it.
Nothing you couldn’t live without? Toilet paper. Laundry detergent. ???

I love Target, I don’t buy half the store, but it’s usually a haul :D Maybe it’s because I spent many years of my childhood in a foreign country where you had to traipse around to individual stores. Want a broom? You had to go to the :censored: broom store. Which was located in one area of the city.
Food? Veggies, meat, dry goods, they were ALL in separate stores or stalls. Shopping was never shorter then a half day experience, I’m talking HOURS. And it’s women who did it. Nothing was convenient.
The idea of being able to go to one place for all my buying needs is the prime reason I shop at Target. Walmart, Costco, whatever.
I knew someone would jump on that statement...I buy that stuff cheaper at Menards. If Mankato had a Super Target we maybe would shop there but the Target here just sucks being connected with the dying dinosaur of a mall. We buy our food at either Cub Foods or Hy-Vee depending on sales and like I mentioned I buy our home needs at Menards since I am usually there several times a week buying things for work anyway and it's cheaper than the grocery stores.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by Kelly Red » Wed Feb 12 11:36 am

g-manpuck wrote:
Wed Feb 12 11:32 am
Kelly Red wrote:
g-manpuck wrote:
Target related...I don't get the whole "I can't go to Target without buying half of the store". There is nothing in Target, Walmart, or the like that I couldn't live without. If I had a bigger disposable income there would be much better places to spend my money than Target...I just don't get it.

I love Target, I don’t buy half the store, but it’s usually a haul :D Maybe it’s because I spent many years of my childhood in a foreign country where you had to traipse around to individual stores. Want a broom? You had to go to the :censored: broom store. Which was located in one area of the city.
Food? Veggies, meat, dry goods, they were ALL in separate stores or stalls. Shopping was never shorter then a half day experience, I’m talking HOURS. And it’s women who did it. Nothing was convenient.
The idea of being able to go to one place for all my buying needs is the prime reason I shop at Target. Walmart, Costco, whatever.
I knew someone would jump on that statement...I buy that stuff cheaper at Menards. If Mankato had a Super Target we maybe would shop there but the Target here just sucks being connected with the dying dinosaur of a mall. We buy our food at either Cub Foods or Hy-Vee depending on sales and like I mentioned I buy our home needs at Menards since I am usually there several times a week buying things for work anyway and it's cheaper than the grocery stores.
Well I will admit I don’t food shop at Target with the exception of the occasional frozen shrimp sale :dup:
But Target brand paper towels and crap like that? It’s pretty cheap. But I get your point, your Menards is a better store.
Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let’s go. We’re burning daylight.
-John Wayne

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Wed Feb 12 11:38 am

Sorry for double post! I blame GPL gremlins :roll:
Last edited by Kelly Red on Wed Feb 12 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-John Wayne

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by Zwak » Wed Feb 12 11:43 am

Kelly Red wrote:
g-manpuck wrote:

I used to be that way with Target where I would go in for one thing an invariably end up leaving with a lot more. Not so much anymore. One store where that happens a bit more now is Costco. Not that I end up buying a bunch of stuff but I almost always end up leaving with at least one more thing than what I intended.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 199 times

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Feb 12 11:47 am

People would say the same thing about Walmart but their customers don't have as much disposable income. So basically, as mentioned people are just saying "I can buy a lot of different stuff at Target."
Loserville, USA
108 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by Handyman » Wed Feb 12 7:55 pm

Target sucks...i avoid it and it's crappy prices if at all possible.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Bigbeer » Wed Feb 12 7:59 pm

Broom store? What bank would give a business loan for that?
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Wed Feb 12 8:51 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Wed Feb 12 7:59 pm
Broom store? What bank would give a business loan for that?
:lol: bank loan?! Broom store. Bedding store. Carpet. Kitchen items. Practically every household item in India had its own store. Which means you spend hours shopping and riding transportation to get there. There was no such thing as a super market or a general store. Yes a Broom store. On the Broom makers block in one section of town. An entire block of broom stores! And sold no where else.
Shopping malls are more common now but not then. Food shopping was every morning. Afternoons were devoted to other errands. Also all bills were paid in cash only. Electric bill? You went in person and stood in line. Pay your rent? Same. Water? Same. The hours of mindless standing is boggling.
God Bless the USA and our love of convenience.
-John Wayne

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by george » Fri Mar 13 2:25 pm

Having to go to Sam's club this morning and seeing all the morons in action. You don't need to stock up on tp, we get most of it from Canada, they'll keep making and shipping it. You don't need cases and cases of bottled water, it's going to keep flowing from the tap clean and chlorinated. It's one thing to have a coupon weeks worth of staples on hand in case someone in your house is sick and you want to self quarantine, but you won't need months worth of stuff. :roll:

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 370 times

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Mar 13 2:49 pm

george wrote:
Fri Mar 13 2:25 pm
Having to go to Sam's club this morning and seeing all the morons in action. You don't need to stock up on tp, we get most of it from Canada, they'll keep making and shipping it. You don't need cases and cases of bottled water, it's going to keep flowing from the tap clean and chlorinated. It's one thing to have a coupon weeks worth of staples on hand in case someone in your house is sick and you want to self quarantine, but you won't need months worth of stuff. :roll:
I went to Costco yesterday, just after it opened. Apparently word got out that they received a truckload of butt wipe. I couldn't believe the amount of people, all with TP in their carts. I let them be distracted as I stocked up on meat and liquor. If I am going to be stuck at home for a month I will have meat to smoke and liquor to drink. Bring on the sun.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 986 times
Been liked: 668 times

Post by Greyeagle » Fri Mar 13 3:26 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Mar 13 2:49 pm
I let them be distracted as I stocked up on meat and liquor.
#Priorities!
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 408 times
Been liked: 420 times

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Mar 13 3:28 pm

I don't know if the concern is supply chains will dry up if distribution centers have to start keeping people home?

Luckily here there are no shortages yet, but with Manila on lockdown who knows?
Currently under construction.

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by Orion » Fri Mar 13 3:31 pm

This has now gotten to the point where normal people better by TP just in case the hoarders keep buying it for the next couple of weeks. We normally have about 1-2 weeks worth at home and buy when we get down to the last roll or two. Now I don't want to cut it that close.

Oh and my work has already had to warn people to not take the TP home

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Mar 13 3:41 pm

Orion wrote:
Fri Mar 13 3:31 pm
This has now gotten to the point where normal people better by TP just in case the hoarders keep buying it for the next couple of weeks. We normally have about 1-2 weeks worth at home and buy when we get down to the last roll or two. Now I don't want to cut it that close.

We usually buy butt wipe at Costco. But I am not putting up with that hassle now so we have some coming from Amazon tomorrow. This will mark the first time I have had toilet paper delivered to my house....and I think I'll have to make sure I am home so it isn't stolen. :lol:

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 403 times
Been liked: 500 times

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Mar 13 3:42 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Mar 13 3:41 pm
Orion wrote:

We usually buy butt wipe at Costco. But I am not putting up with that hassle now so we have some coming from Amazon tomorrow. This will mark the first time I have had toilet paper delivered to my house....and I think I'll have to make sure I am home so it isn't stolen. :lol:
Hopefully it’s legit TP. 😆 Was the price jacked up?

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Mar 13 3:46 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Fri Mar 13 3:42 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Mar 13 3:41 pm
Orion wrote:

Hopefully it’s legit TP. 😆 Was the price jacked up?
I don't know. How much should a giant pack of Quilted Northern cost (EQUIVALENT OF 72 ROLLS!!!!!)? I think I paid $28. My butt is worth it. Especially considering all the meat and liquor.

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Fri Mar 13 3:51 pm

We legit need TP but don't want to fight the crowds and want to go to Costco to do normal shopping but hearing how nuts it is.

Anyone been to the SLP one recently?

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Fri Mar 13 3:52 pm

george wrote:
I don't get the water and TP thing. Why hoard Tp? What is the thought process? And this isn't Batman where the water supply is going to get impacted.

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Fri Mar 13 3:54 pm

Due to a dip in a pipe below the basement floor, I was advised to avoid charmin or other “soft” advertising TP. The best kind I found was Green Forest. I was able to get a bunch off amazon last week when I realized I was low.

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Fri Mar 13 3:55 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Fri Mar 13 3:51 pm
We legit need TP but don't want to fight the crowds and want to go to Costco to do normal shopping but hearing how nuts it is.

The kfan host tweeted pics from maple grove yesterday and it looked terrible. Hundreds of carts abandoned by the TP section when people realize there is none

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Fri Mar 13 4:20 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Fri Mar 13 3:52 pm
george wrote:
I don't get the water and TP thing. Why hoard Tp? What is the thought process? And this isn't Batman where the water supply is going to get impacted.
I don’t get it either? Why hoard TP? This Corona doesn’t cause diarrhea!!
I have a list of stuff I’d hoard way before TP...chocolate, French Vanilla coffee creamer, bacon.
-John Wayne

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times

Post by HockeyBum » Fri Mar 13 10:35 pm

Can confirm Costco in Woodbury is completely out of TP and paper towels. Overheard an employee saying they will get a shipment of Charmin tomorrow, and Kirkland sometime next week. We went at around 6:30pm tonight (Friday) thinking the crazy preppers would be gone by then. Nope. Longest lines I've ever seen there in the year or so it's been open.

I usually go to Costco about once a month. By sheer chance, I bought TP and paper towels on my previous visit in February and thought nothing of it at the time. I'm glad I did.

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Sat Mar 14 12:23 am

NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Fri Mar 13 3:55 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:
Fri Mar 13 3:51 pm

The kfan host tweeted pics from maple grove yesterday and it looked terrible. Hundreds of carts abandoned by the TP section when people realize there is none
Hundreds?
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Sat Mar 14 12:48 am

He was specific to say it was hundreds. I’m just repeating what he said, I dunno.

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 364 times

Post by D2D » Sat Mar 14 1:02 am

Kelly Red wrote:
Fri Mar 13 4:20 pm
I have a list of stuff I’d hoard way before TP...chocolate, French Vanilla coffee creamer, bacon.
The first two must be a female thing, but both wife and I really love their Kirkland thick bacon. I am the 'designated Costco shopper' (expert, I might add) in the family and always pay close attention to their monthly sales specials. Fortunately, Charmin tp was on sale last month and I took full advantage of the discount on their usual MEGA ROLLS...well before the crazy hoarding craze began.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Sat Mar 14 3:52 am

NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Sat Mar 14 12:48 am
He was specific to say it was hundreds. I’m just repeating what he said, I dunno.
“Hundreds?” is a KFAN running joke from when Gorg said the preposterous statement that horses lose hundreds of pounds during a race.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 148 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Sat Mar 14 9:42 am

I was at Costco in Fargo on Thursday and obviously they were out of TP and were limited cases of water to 2. They were also limiting diapers to 2 boxes of each size. It would baffle me that someone would want to buy a half pallet of Size 1 diapers?!

Anyway, they had plenty of soap and were not limiting that so the only thing I could think is that people are more concerned about wiping their ass than washing their hands...
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Sat Mar 14 3:31 pm

Stopped at Aldi's for a few things today. Limited to buying 4 of anything. Cleaned out of most produce and, of course, TP and paper towels. :roll:

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 195 times

Post by JWG » Sat Mar 14 7:05 pm

What’s a real shame us how much waste this will ultimately create. Everyone panic bought for months and good portions will end up in the garbage.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by Zwak » Sat Mar 14 7:18 pm

george wrote:
Sat Mar 14 3:31 pm
Stopped at Aldi's for a few things today. Limited to buying 4 of anything. Cleaned out of most produce and, of course, TP and paper towels. :roll:
Do you mean you could only buy 4 items total or you were limited to 4 of any 1 item? #dumbquestion
GPL's official source of trivia.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Mar 14 7:25 pm

I legit have a cold. I went to target. I got the second to last bottle of robitussin and one of five bags of cough drops left. It’s nuts.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 299 times

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Mar 14 7:34 pm

Zwak wrote:
Sat Mar 14 7:18 pm
george wrote:
Sat Mar 14 3:31 pm
Do you mean you could only buy 4 items total or you were limited to 4 of any 1 item? #dumbquestion
The Aldi's near me had some of the same limitations. 4 cans of a product, 3 dozen eggs, 3 half gallons of milk, etc

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Sat Mar 14 7:46 pm

4 of an item. We needed vegetable broth so grabbed 6 cartons. Nope, allowed 4. Nobody is hoarding veggie broth. :roll:

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sun Mar 15 12:19 am

JWG wrote:
Sat Mar 14 7:05 pm
What’s a real shame us how much waste this will ultimately create. Everyone panic bought for months and good portions will end up in the garbage.
People are suddenly going to start throwing out TP and hand sanitizer?

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by The Rube » Sun Mar 15 12:30 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Sun Mar 15 12:19 am
JWG wrote:
I agree. What waste?
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 322 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Steve MN » Sun Mar 15 8:22 am

The Rube wrote:
Sun Mar 15 12:30 am
Slap Shot wrote:
JWG wrote:
I agree. What waste?
Guessing he's referring to the fact that things like chicken, hamburger, etc have also been bought out at a lot of stores.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 124 times

Post by Norm » Sun Mar 15 9:50 am

Steve MN wrote:
Sun Mar 15 8:22 am
The Rube wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
JWG wrote:
I agree. What waste?
Guessing he's referring to the fact that things like chicken, hamburger, etc have also been bought out at a lot of stores.
Yeah, I checked my tp for an expiration date, didn't see anything.

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Sun Mar 15 10:32 am

The fact that you guys keep your toilet paper forever concerns me. ;)

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Mar 15 10:46 am

Norm wrote:
Sun Mar 15 9:50 am
Steve MN wrote:
Sun Mar 15 8:22 am
The Rube wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
JWG wrote:
I agree. What waste?
Yeah, I checked my tp for an expiration date, didn't see anything.
Yeah, not sure what this “waste” thing is about, the point is getting things that are non-perishable in case you are stuck at home. I was at a Target and a Trader Joe’s in the last 2 days and noticed all of the dry pasta was sold out at both, hadn’t thought about that one.

magoose
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by magoose » Sun Mar 15 10:58 am

Black market TP. “Hey bud, need some 2 ply? Gots me some Purrell if you have the bank roll.”

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Mar 15 11:17 am

magoose wrote:
Sun Mar 15 10:58 am
Black market TP. “Hey bud, need some 2 ply? Gots me some Purrell if you have the bank roll.”
“Careful bro that dude cuts his $h!t”

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sun Mar 15 11:24 am

I more mean the crazed buying of all perishible items. While the headlines are TP and sanitizer (sanitizer does expire by the way), my trip through Target and Cub also showed I couldn't buy many common perisible items as well. It's quite seriously as if those who showed up late to the hoarding party just decided to hoard whatever was left. We saw people checking out of the store with 2-3 carts full of stuff. You don't need 8 gallons of milk.
JWG
[This space for rent]

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by davescharf » Sun Mar 15 1:06 pm

JWG wrote:
Sun Mar 15 11:24 am
I more mean the crazed buying of all perishible items. While the headlines are TP and sanitizer (sanitizer does expire by the way), my trip through Target and Cub also showed I couldn't buy many common perisible items as well. It's quite seriously as if those who showed up late to the hoarding party just decided to hoard whatever was left. We saw people checking out of the store with 2-3 carts full of stuff. You don't need 8 gallons of milk.
I felt like we were hoarding on Friday night and we were only buying 2 weeks worth of groceries instead of 1. I still had to go to a butcher to get beef and chicken because HyVee was completely out of it. We couldn't fit anything more in our fridge or freezer even if we wanted to, but at least there was plenty of fruit and vegetables for when we run out of that.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 124 times

Post by Norm » Sun Mar 15 2:35 pm

Professor urges gov't to create a Strategic Toilet Paper Reserve.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sun Mar 15 2:50 pm

davescharf wrote:
Sun Mar 15 1:06 pm
JWG wrote:
I felt like we were hoarding on Friday night and we were only buying 2 weeks worth of groceries instead of 1. I still had to go to a butcher to get beef and chicken because HyVee was completely out of it. We couldn't fit anything more in our fridge or freezer even if we wanted to, but at least there was plenty of fruit and vegetables for when we run out of that.
We just got back from Cub and there wasn’t a potato or onion to be had. Onions?? I mean, garlic I understand, need to keep the vampires away.
JWG
[This space for rent]

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Sun Mar 15 3:21 pm

JWG wrote:
Sun Mar 15 2:50 pm
We just got back from Cub and there wasn’t a potato or onion to be had. Onions?? I mean, garlic I understand, need to keep the vampires away.
Kwik Trip sells fresh single potatoes and onions (along with bananas) for 39 cents a pound. Just bought some yesterday.
Eggs at $1.29/dozen are always a good buy also.

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Sun Mar 15 4:07 pm

JWG wrote:
Sun Mar 15 2:50 pm
davescharf wrote:
Sun Mar 15 1:06 pm
JWG wrote:
I bought a bag of potatoes at Cub by Southdale this afternoon. They had at least 6 kinds of potatoes. Didn't look for onions. Maybe yours has a stocking issue.

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Mar 15 7:01 pm

I’ve noticed the potato thing at a couple places too. This afternoon I bought the last bag of brussel sprouts in the store, frozen or fresh. There were tons of guys stocking shelves and full pallets of stuff sitting all over the place, which I’m assuming were delivered today. I used to work at a grocery distribution center and we never worked on Sundays ever but someone had to have selected those all those pallets, prolly this morning.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Mar 15 7:08 pm

I legit need to go grocery shopping this week sometime for fresh produce and meat. Curious if I’ll even be able to get my normal list of ingredients.

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Sun Mar 15 7:29 pm

Are you out of steak? :rim:

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Mar 15 8:31 pm

Go in the morning, most stores stock overnight

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun Mar 15 8:47 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sun Mar 15 7:08 pm
I legit need to go grocery shopping this week sometime for fresh produce and meat. Curious if I’ll even be able to get my normal list of ingredients.
Produce wasn't an issue on Friday night where I was - and I'd suggest a local butcher if the Supermarket is out of meat. I did that Saturday morning and they didn't seem to be too worried about running out of stuff.

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Sun Mar 15 9:00 pm

I went to Cub earlier today and was able to buy (almost) everything on my list:
5 lb. bag of Russet potatoes
2 containers of fresh, pre-mixed salad
2 containers of cherry tomoatoes
2 loaves Country Hearth whole wheat bread
2 6 oz containers of organic raspberries
1 broccoli bunch
2 packages of "Simply Potatoes"
2 large 18 ct. eggs (at $1.50 each!)
I container of cole slaw from deli
2 Special K cereal
1 pkg cream cheese
1 carton Kemps choc milk
2 Morton salt pellets
1 loaf garlic bread from bakery

ALL of these items are on sale at Cub this week. The only item on my list that was not in stock was Smithfield breakfast sausage patties, which is something I can easily (and maybe should) do without! :)

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Mar 26 9:18 pm

With the airlines in trouble I find it aggravating that the flights I am looking at for Dec are still hovering around the $1300 per seat price. They’ve dropped less than $100.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Thu Mar 26 9:27 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Mar 26 9:18 pm
With the airlines in trouble I find it aggravating that the flights I am looking at for Dec are still hovering around the $1300 per seat price. They’ve dropped less than $100.
Weird - we're thinking about booking to Orlando just before school starts and they've dropped like a rock. With the one free change if you purchase in March, that < $200 airfare is awfully tempting.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Mar 26 10:38 pm

davescharf wrote:
Thu Mar 26 9:27 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Mar 26 9:18 pm
Weird - we're thinking about booking to Orlando just before school starts and they've dropped like a rock. With the one free change if you purchase in March, that < $200 airfare is awfully tempting.
I can get much cheaper seats on United but I would prefer to stay with Delta. Hoping they come down to Earth a bit.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Mar 27 1:46 am

Right how I can fly from MNL to MSP via ICN for $1100 in July. The dilemma being will flights even be allowed, if flights are still ongoing, but I route through anywhere in Asia would I even be allowed to depart without quarantine, with the # of cases in the US skyrocketing would I be allowed back into the PH without quarantine, etc., etc.

Holding off for you and this sucks because I haven't been home in 5+ years.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Fri Mar 27 12:08 pm

How I seem to get into minor disagreements daily with my housemates about living in this Covid-19 world in regards to the Governor's actions. I don't think I have a real big anxiety problem but if there is something that gives me anxiety, especially right now, is when some one misinterprets or overextends the intent of what the Governor says or places in action.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Fri Mar 27 12:17 pm

g-manpuck wrote:
Fri Mar 27 12:08 pm
How I seem to get into minor disagreements daily with my housemates about living in this Covid-19 world in regards to the Governor's actions. I don't think I have a real big anxiety problem but if there is something that gives me anxiety, especially right now, is when some one misinterprets or overextends the intent of what the Governor says or places in action.
This isn’t a joke about your anxiety (my wife has it), but if you get anxious about people misinterpreting things, I feel bad because people do that ALL the time.
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Fri Mar 27 12:39 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Fri Mar 27 12:17 pm
g-manpuck wrote:
Fri Mar 27 12:08 pm
This isn’t a joke about your anxiety (my wife has it), but if you get anxious about people misinterpreting things, I feel bad because people do that ALL the time.
I know, and looking back at much simpler times it is one trigger of mine is when someone does misinterpret what I view as black and white. Easily the cause of the big majority of disagreements with my wife. It's not about me being right, I'm not that kind of person. But when I know something and it is the correct information and someone else defends the opposite and won't acknowledge that their information is wrong...I definitely get triggered. It's that one button I wear on my sleeve that so many people find and push a lot. My wife presses that button inadvertently a lot because she won't look into something she doesn't care about as much or isn't affected by the information and she just rolls with what someone tells her. Like this instance today; two co-workers tell her about paperwork but I tell her paperwork isn't required but I'm wrong. :coffee:

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Apr 03 9:22 am

My 5th grader has a conference call each morning with his class to go over the assignments. Each day they are given a list of tasks to complete. It isn't all day, We do fill in the gaps by assigning an hour or so for "recess" and of course lunch time. He is finished by 3 pm at the latest.

On Wednesday we find out that only 8 kids in his class completed the assigned work for MONDAY. The teachers got enough flack from parents that they backed of the workload and Wednesday are now a "catch up day". If the kids do their work each day, Wednesday will be a free day. It sounds like distance learning is going to be a waste. And I feel bad for the teachers.

I hope parents are still making school a priority, but it doesn't sound like it.

I know my 5th grader was given more work than other kids in the district. I am hearing generally most kids have 1-2 hours of work each day. Yikes.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Fri Apr 03 9:25 am

In all honesty, it is a ton for people to manage work, plus pklaying teacher and have to pull back the load a bit to make sure any of it get done.

melmac
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by melmac » Fri Apr 03 10:04 am

Scattered thoughts:

Also, some kids can plow through their work, where others need more direction. My kindergartener is one where I can give her the iPad, and she can pretty much sort through it herself.

I am incredibly happy with the decision the hubster and I made to keep the little one in pre-k for another go next year.

My kids’ new teacher is horrible at classroom time management. :crazy:

The governor here made the call yesterday to keep the school buildings closed for the remainder of this school year. I’m going to need a lot of “Teacher’s water”...

Spring break is next week, and we’ll probably do some catch up. Maybe I can figure out a better way of doing things going forward.
I was told there would be no math.

Someday I'll win...
Charter member of the GPL Convoy Crew

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Fri Apr 03 10:23 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Apr 03 9:22 am
My 5th grader has a conference call each morning with his class to go over the assignments. Each day they are given a list of tasks to complete. It isn't all day, We do fill in the gaps by assigning an hour or so for "recess" and of course lunch time. He is finished by 3 pm at the latest.

On Wednesday we find out that only 8 kids in his class completed the assigned work for MONDAY. The teachers got enough flack from parents that they backed of the workload and Wednesday are now a "catch up day". If the kids do their work each day, Wednesday will be a free day. It sounds like distance learning is going to be a waste. And I feel bad for the teachers.

I hope parents are still making school a priority, but it doesn't sound like it.

I know my 5th grader was given more work than other kids in the district. I am hearing generally most kids have 1-2 hours of work each day. Yikes.
My 4th grader had a lighter load early this week but now it’s ramped up and she was busy most of yesterday. Friday’s for her class will be catch up time but she also has some additional new work.

I’m still off work for two more weeks and I usually have a meeting intensive working day. It’s going to be tough for my wife and I to keep her on task and make sure we are getting our work done too

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times

Post by HockeyBum » Fri Apr 03 10:30 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Apr 03 9:22 am
My kids (5th and 6th graders) log on at 10 and are finished by 11:30. At least so far, this "Distance Learning" is a complete joke.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Apr 03 12:03 pm

Our kids have class daily using Google docs or something such from 9 until 2:30 so it's not quite a full day, but they seem to be receiving a full set of assignments because they're doing 2-3 hours of homework daily on top of being "in class".

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Fri Apr 03 12:05 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Fri Apr 03 12:03 pm
Our kids have class daily using Google docs or something such from 9 until 2:30 so it's not quite a full day, but they seem to be receiving a full set of assignments because they're doing 2-3 hours of homework daily on top of being "in class".
I think the homework is different all over. In Fargo, we are going 8:30-12:15 and the homework is minimal. But I have heard others have a lot.
Doug Woog - 1990

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Apr 04 1:10 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Fri Apr 03 12:05 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Fri Apr 03 12:03 pm
I think the homework is different all over. In Fargo, we are going 8:30-12:15 and the homework is minimal. But I have heard others have a lot.
Our kids even had class today (Saturday) from 8:30 until 2:00 to try ensure they're keeping up as much as possible. It's likely the school year will extend 1-2 weeks into the summer to cover off anything missed.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sat Apr 04 5:58 pm

We hope our daughter keeps busy until 12:00 when starting at 8:30 each day. Certainly not over burdening here yet (8th grade).
JWG
[This space for rent]

skiier32
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by skiier32 » Sun Apr 05 9:34 pm

JWG wrote:
Sat Apr 04 5:58 pm
We hope our daughter keeps busy until 12:00 when starting at 8:30 each day. Certainly not over burdening here yet (8th grade).
Our kids are 1/2 of their classes on day 1, the other half on day 2, and day 3 is a catch up day. Both are done with in 3 hrs of starting. One is in high school and the other is in middle school. No way they are learning what they should.

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Mon Apr 06 7:14 am

I think we have all heard of how badly Minnesota effed up the conversion of our car registration computer system, but have you heard about New Jersey's unemployment system? With the system being overwhelmed by the new filings they have issued an urgent call for programmers with COBOL experience! COBOL was being phased out when I started college in 1970! They realized it was a problem with Y2K bug fixes in 1999 but never got around to fixing it. :shock:

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Apr 06 8:20 am

george wrote:
Mon Apr 06 7:14 am
I think we have all heard of how badly Minnesota effed up the conversion of our car registration computer system, but have you heard about New Jersey's unemployment system? With the system being overwhelmed by the new filings they have issued an urgent call for programmers with COBOL experience! COBOL was being phased out when I started college in 1970! They realized it was a problem with Y2K bug fixes in 1999 but never got around to fixing it. :shock:
Wow. I work with government regulators at the federal level and I have been astonished at how archaic their systems work. We had to report via floppy disk well past the point of floppy drive availability in computers. I had an external floppy drive on my desk.

The group I work with had gotten much better over the last 6-7 years however. The feds have pushed for electronic upgrades across the government.

I can't imagine New Jersey. Are they using green on green tube monitors?

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Mon Apr 06 8:48 am

george wrote:
And even in the midst of everything happening around us I got my new plates and renewed tabs within 10 days of paying my registration online. I know MNLARS has a lot of issues but I was surprised how quickly I got them.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Apr 06 8:50 am

We got our tabs in a week after paying online.

Viking
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Viking » Mon Apr 06 10:54 am

george wrote:
COBOL was still being taught in the late 80s/early 90s when I was in school. COBOL programmers can make really good money because of the lack of programmers and the volume of legacy systems still around.
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.