Things That Stick In Your Craw

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 36 times

Re: Things That Stick In Your Craw

Post by Kelly Red » Sun Sep 22 11:54 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Sun Sep 22 6:28 am
Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Sep 21 9:20 pm
Zwak wrote:
Sat Sep 21 9:11 pm
I’m a huge fan of dogs. I love dogs. That said, when did it become acceptable to bring (non-service) dogs into stores (not including pet stores). IMO people who work in non pet stores didn’t sign up to be exposed to that.
It is not acceptable and not legal. A lot of stores are cracking down. Too many therapists are granting people paperwork to carry their little foo foo dog everywhere saying it is an “emotional support animal”. You can go online and buy a fake service dog vest which if not on a service dog is completely illegal.
I love dogs too but do not think they should be allowed in places that serve food, or on airplanes. (Unless a service animal). Waaaaay to many health risks - and not fair to us with big dogs who cannot travel that way with them.
My wife’s stepdad has a golden doodle and he flies with it as an emotional support animal twice a year when they go to Arizona for the winter and come back. I don’t know how they work that out as the dog is huge, but he doesn’t pay anything extra.
So is it truly an emotional support animal or is he just too cheap to pay to ship the dog twice a year? That’s what annoys me, people just abuse the service.
I was once flying to the coast, a 4 hr flight, the woman next to me had a fairly large dog. It’s supposed to go on the floor, under the seat. Of course it’s laying down sprawled across and in my leg/feet area. I politely ask her to keep the dog under her seat and she gets very snotty about it. He’s too big to fit. I’m allowed to have him. :chainsaw:
I counter with yes you’re allowed to have him but it’s not my problem if he’s too big, that’s yours. Move him into your space and out of mine. I will say the dog was remarkably well behaved. The woman...not so much.
I also have very good friends who are flight attendants. The stories they tell of dogs peeing and pooping on a plane! And the owners who think they should either clean it up or have the supplies?
Gruss von Krampus!! 👹

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Beauner » Sun Sep 22 2:38 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sat Sep 21 2:15 pm
I have gotten calls as late as 9pm. I just ignore them all obviously (unless I am in a bad mood...then I have fun) but it is still annoying.
I had one last week around 8:30pm. That was the latest I think I've gotten one.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Sun Sep 22 5:48 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Sun Sep 22 11:54 am
MNGophers29 wrote:
Sun Sep 22 6:28 am
Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Sep 21 9:20 pm
Zwak wrote:
Sat Sep 21 9:11 pm
I’m a huge fan of dogs. I love dogs. That said, when did it become acceptable to bring (non-service) dogs into stores (not including pet stores). IMO people who work in non pet stores didn’t sign up to be exposed to that.
It is not acceptable and not legal. A lot of stores are cracking down. Too many therapists are granting people paperwork to carry their little foo foo dog everywhere saying it is an “emotional support animal”. You can go online and buy a fake service dog vest which if not on a service dog is completely illegal.
I love dogs too but do not think they should be allowed in places that serve food, or on airplanes. (Unless a service animal). Waaaaay to many health risks - and not fair to us with big dogs who cannot travel that way with them.
My wife’s stepdad has a golden doodle and he flies with it as an emotional support animal twice a year when they go to Arizona for the winter and come back. I don’t know how they work that out as the dog is huge, but he doesn’t pay anything extra.
So is it truly an emotional support animal or is he just too cheap to pay to ship the dog twice a year? That’s what annoys me, people just abuse the service.
I was once flying to the coast, a 4 hr flight, the woman next to me had a fairly large dog. It’s supposed to go on the floor, under the seat. Of course it’s laying down sprawled across and in my leg/feet area. I politely ask her to keep the dog under her seat and she gets very snotty about it. He’s too big to fit. I’m allowed to have him. :chainsaw:
I counter with yes you’re allowed to have him but it’s not my problem if he’s too big, that’s yours. Move him into your space and out of mine. I will say the dog was remarkably well behaved. The woman...not so much.
I also have very good friends who are flight attendants. The stories they tell of dogs peeing and pooping on a plane! And the owners who think they should either clean it up or have the supplies?
I know money isn’t an issue for him. He does suffer from anxiety, which until I met my wife, I would have said to just deal with it, it I know it can be pretty bad. Could he fly by himself? Probably, but he was able to get a doctor to certify the need for an emotional support animal.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Sep 22 7:16 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sun Sep 22 8:39 am
I’m not entirely sure if I’d has to be a vet and/or therapist who approves - but you can just go to them and say I need my dog to be qualified as a support animal and some just say okay and sign off.
I’ll have to look into this, I’m curious what rules are supposed to be followed. I’m not in any way saying this is not an important option for some people - I’ve seen dogs do wonders for non-verbal children and ptsd, but there is rampant abuse of the system and I’m glad there is starting to be some crackdown.
I know folks who simply want to carry little Fido with them everywhere and have said “I just had so and so sign off, it’s so easy you should do that.” Sad part is not only is the person not truly in need, these dogs have zero training and are not always properly behaved in the public places they are brought.
I have a coworker who’s daughter goes to Augsburg and they have a bunch of kids who have emotional support hamsters and emotional support fish and so on. Otherwise pets are not allowed in dorms.

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by D2D » Sun Sep 22 9:27 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sun Sep 22 7:16 pm
I have a coworker who’s daughter goes to Augsburg and they have a bunch of kids who have emotional support hamsters and emotional support fish and so on. Otherwise pets are not allowed in dorms.
To decide whether a pet offers a student sufficient "emotional support" are they made to appear, together with pet, in front of some kind of an "Emotional Support Board"? One would hope that said Board is primarily comprised of Psychology professors, plus the obligatory student representation.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 83 times

Post by The Rube » Sun Sep 22 9:36 pm

I get that every person is different, but the ones that abuse the system? Or are too big of snowflakes to deal with it? Ugh. "Someone cut in front of me in line today, and that emotionally bothers me, I need a goldfinch as my support animal!"
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Sep 23 12:32 am

Yes im sure that's pretty normal.
Currently under construction.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by Bigbeer » Mon Sep 23 1:16 am

...and maybe we should have some sympathy and not expect everyone to live by our standards
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Sep 23 8:05 am

Bigbeer wrote:
Mon Sep 23 1:16 am
...and maybe we should have some sympathy and not expect everyone to live by our standards
The people that truly need them, I'm with you on that. There's a reason they are starting to have stricter standards/laws on support animals, though.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Sep 23 8:54 am

I am allergic to some cats but they don't bother me unless I pet them, or unless for instance I'm sitting on a coach/chair full of cat hair. Does the mere presence of an animal really trigger animal allergies for some?

Not asking to be snarky - if that is how it works for some people then I can understand why it would be frustrating when the reason for the animal being there seems suspect.

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by Karlsson » Mon Sep 23 10:06 am

There are certain long-haired cat breeds that set me off without ever having seen them, even if the owner has cleaned or vacuumed. So it is possible.

Otherwise I'm the same way, I have to have touched the animal or be wallowing in its dander to have a reaction.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 125 times

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Sep 23 10:13 am

Some cats don’t bother me. Others I can walk into a room and instantly get sneezy and runny nose without even touching them. Yes, you can have symptoms without touching an animal.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Sep 23 10:36 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Sep 23 10:13 am
Some cats don’t bother me. Others I can walk into a room and instantly get sneezy and runny nose without even touching them. Yes, you can have symptoms without touching an animal.
It’s the dander from their fur that gets in the air and causes allergic reaction, without actually touching them.

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Handyman » Mon Sep 23 10:39 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Mon Sep 23 8:54 am
I am allergic to some cats but they don't bother me unless I pet them, or unless for instance I'm sitting on a coach/chair full of cat hair. Does the mere presence of an animal really trigger animal allergies for some?

Not asking to be snarky - if that is how it works for some people then I can understand why it would be frustrating when the reason for the animal being there seems suspect.
Yes it does. Even "Hypoallergenic" dogs can set me off. I am better than I used to be but its still there.

And sorry but the amount of people who abuse the system is through the roof. For a lot of these people it is laziness or they just dont want to leave the animal in the car or alone at home. Hell it isnt even really that hard to tell the difference between the ones who need it and the ones who dont.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Sep 23 12:30 pm

Can I petition to have a support beer for those crazy days at work or those rush hour commutes?! :mrgreen:

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by george » Mon Sep 23 12:47 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Sep 23 12:30 pm
Can I petition to have a support beer for those crazy days at work or those rush hour commutes?! :mrgreen:
Of course you can! I suggest you go to your boss right now and demand emotional support beers. I'm sure you can get a Dr's note if needed. :wink:

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Zwak » Mon Sep 23 1:30 pm

Handyman wrote:
Mon Sep 23 10:39 am
Slap Shot wrote:
Mon Sep 23 8:54 am

Yes it does. Even "Hypoallergenic" dogs can set me off. I am better than I used to be but its still there.

And sorry but the amount of people who abuse the system is through the roof. For a lot of these people it is laziness or they just dont want to leave the animal in the car or alone at home. Hell it isnt even really that hard to tell the difference between the ones who need it and the ones who dont.
I totally agree with this. The reason I brought it up is I was at Home Depot twice over the weekend. Both times I was there customers brought their dogs in with them. Neither had a vest of any kind. Unless you work at a Pet Store you did not sign up as an employee to be exposed to animals and possible animal waste . IMO unless it is an official service dog, I don't think people should bring pets in stores, even if they are emotional support animals.

On a related subject, I used to work downtown Minneapolis with a woman who was in a wheelchair. She had an official service dog with vest. If she wanted something to eat from a restaurant she would often ask if I would mind picking it up for her. Reason being she said everyone in the skyway system would stop and pet her dog and it would take forever for her to get to restaurant and back. That really bothered me. I love dogs but I know never to disturb a service dog, no matter how much I want to pet it.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Mon Sep 23 1:43 pm

I think Home Depot allows it, though I'm not certain. I'm not familiar with their corporate policy. I've been allowed in with one of my dogs after asking. They said as long as I clean up any mess he made they didn't care. We were in and out in 10 minutes. This was a few years ago.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Sep 23 2:03 pm

Home Depot allows all dogs. I know several folks who go there just to walk indoors during the winter.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Sep 23 3:51 pm

We don’t have a policy in place allowing it. Some stores allow it and others don’t. When I had my store, I did, but the dog had to be on a leash or in a cart.

People get REALLY mad when you ask them to put their dog on a leash. They also get really mad when their kids are riding around standing up in a shopping cart. Sorry, but when you hear a kids head hit the cement from a 4’ drop, it’s not something you want to hear again.
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Sep 23 4:10 pm

You should just have a sign:
“All dogs and children must be on leash or seated in the cart.” :lol:

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Mon Sep 23 4:50 pm

"Alright, we'll allow the dogs and the cats, BUT WE DON'T WANT THE IRISH!"

Greyeagle
Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 204 times

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Sep 23 5:14 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Mon Sep 23 4:50 pm
"Alright, we'll allow the dogs and the cats, BUT WE DON'T WANT THE IRISH!"
Well played Mr. Brooks, well played!

:good2:
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Sep 23 9:36 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Mon Sep 23 10:36 am
Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Sep 23 10:13 am
It’s the dander from their fur that gets in the air and causes allergic reaction, without actually touching them.
This. Some cats, I have zero problem with. Others? The worst reaction I had was within 5 minutes, and was outside giving myself a snowjob. I SAID SNOWJOB. Eyes burned that bad. Never even touched the cat.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Thirty-Four » Mon Sep 23 10:01 pm

It’s the dander with cats, so all on the particular cat.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Sep 23 10:05 pm

Thirty-Four wrote:
Mon Sep 23 10:01 pm
It’s the dander with cats, so all on the particular cat.
And when they are cross-breeds, HELLO WILD CARD!

I know I am allergic to Siamese, Burmese, and similar. Other than that, have no idea.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden

Post by Thirty-Four » Mon Sep 23 10:09 pm

But it made dating more interesting. 😀

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Sep 23 10:16 pm

Thirty-Four wrote:
Mon Sep 23 10:09 pm
But it made dating more interesting. 😀
Yeah, if they had a cat, the relationship didn’t go anywhere...
Doug Woog - 1990

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Sep 23 10:18 pm

If they had 4+ cats, nope, I'm out. I know where this is headed....

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden

Post by Thirty-Four » Mon Sep 23 10:20 pm

I debated posting this gripe, since I’m not Mr. PC or Mr. Popular, but if you’re going to block somebody without a PM to ask for clarification or to rectify a situation, just do it, don’t broadcast it. To add to that, if you have blocked somebody, do you need to mention that when that post is made? At the end of day, I may go too far to entertain or in expressing myself, but I don’t try and injure people. Thanks for listening.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Sep 23 10:21 pm

Thirty-Four wrote:
Mon Sep 23 10:20 pm
I debated posting this gripe, since I’m not Mr. PC or MR. Popular, but if you’re going to block somebody without a PM to ask for clarification or to rectify a situation, just do it, don’t broadcast it. To add to that, if you have blocked somebody, do you need to mention that when that post is made? At the end of day, I may go to far to entertain or in expressing myself, but I don’t try and injure people. Thanks for listening.
Just block 'em silently. And related: "I'm saying this, and if you don't like it, just block me/unfollow me!"

Um, just say what you're going to say. The people who will block you will block you. Why be all dramatic and self-righteous about it?

TheRube33 on UnTappd

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Sep 23 10:29 pm

Agree with Rube. I got your joke, but I am not sure I have ever been offended by just words.
Doug Woog - 1990

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Sep 23 10:31 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Mon Sep 23 10:29 pm
Agree with Rube. I got your joke, but I am not sure I have ever been offended by just words.
There was no joke. I honestly dislike that approach for "just block me."

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden

Post by Thirty-Four » Mon Sep 23 10:42 pm

Thanks to both of you. I guess it comes down to caring about my reputation on a message board after almost 14 years. Funny, considering my whole stand up act was based on pretending to not care. My wife would say progress.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Sep 23 11:43 pm

Startled awake by my home alarm system. No code on the panel so I call my monitoring company to find out it was simply a low battery. Turns out the circuit breaker popped.

It was doubly startling considering I called the cops this afternoon after watching someone go into my neighbors house through the basement window.

Now I need my heart to stop racing so I can get back to sleep. And I need to figure out why the low battery alarm needs to be so dramatic. A quick call from the monitoring company would suffice.

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden

Post by Thirty-Four » Mon Sep 23 11:51 pm

Maybe only Alanis can answer this one, but this seems like irony...

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Sep 24 12:27 am

I’ve had a smoke alarm go off in the middle of the night (for unknown reasons), and that was heart pounding. I don’t even know what I would do if the security alarm went off. We probably should use it more at night but typically I only turn it on when I’m home alone - which would make it doubly terrifying if it went off.
Unless set to go off instantly (which I don’t do because I too often forget to shut it off before I open the door to let the dog out in the morning), it beeps for 30 seconds first. I don’t even know what I’d do if I heard that simply because it meant I still had 30 seconds before an alert even goes out, and someone could accomplish a lot in 30 seconds if they wanted.
I hope I never have to find out. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Sep 24 6:36 am

As the alarm was sounding, and I was trying to figure out if someone was going to come up the stairs at us, my wife and I had a quick debate on what to do. There was no fault indicated and my eyes were too sleepy to read the small letters that were on the screen.

I wanted to let the alarm go so the siren would scream and the cops would be called. My wife wanted the noise to stop. I guess it’s a good thing to happen so we know what we’d do if the $h!t were hitting the fan.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Tue Sep 24 7:57 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Sep 23 11:43 pm
Startled awake by my home alarm system. No code on the panel so I call my monitoring company to find out it was simply a low battery. Turns out the circuit breaker popped.

It was doubly startling considering I called the cops this afternoon after watching someone go into my neighbors house through the basement window.

Now I need my heart to stop racing so I can get back to sleep. And I need to figure out why the low battery alarm needs to be so dramatic. A quick call from the monitoring company would suffice.
Glad it was nothing serious. I can imagine that would be a bit traumatic.

Several years ago my sister in law had an alert go off on her CO detector. It said L8. She didn't know what to do and couldn't find the manual so she called the fire department. The fire department arrived and told her it wasn't L8 but LB for "low battery". She was totally embarrassed but the fire department was cool about it. They'd rather have you call and it be nothing that not call. She learned her lesson though.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Sep 24 8:39 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Yikes. Did you hear anything from them about what happened?

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Sep 24 4:38 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Sep 24 8:39 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Yikes. Did you hear anything from them about what happened?
It was one of the kids who lives there.

The family is messed up. Single mom who has zero control over her kids. The teenage boys go anywhere at any time they want. They are thieves, they threaten people, they cause as much trouble in the neighborhood as possible. The cops are there frequently. There have been reports of drug deals. They don't bother to go to school.

It is not uncommon for them to come and go out the sliding door in the basement, but I have never seen them enter through a window.

I thought it was odd that in the middle of the day (a nice day) someone came down wearing a jacket with the hood pulled up over their head and opened a window to enter. Then left less than a minute later. Looked like a burglary to me. I assumed somebody knew where the stash was kept.

But it was just another idiot move by the neighbor kid.

Its so bad that we can just tell the cops the name of the residents (first names) and they don't need an address. Also the cops knew which neighbor to call for the best video. LOL!

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Sep 24 4:41 pm

Zwak wrote:
Tue Sep 24 7:57 am
Bertogliat wrote:

Several years ago my sister in law had an alert go off on her CO detector. It said L8. She didn't know what to do and couldn't find the manual so she called the fire department. The fire department arrived and told her it wasn't L8 but LB for "low battery". She was totally embarrassed but the fire department was cool about it. They'd rather have you call and it be nothing that not call. She learned her lesson though.
We had a CO detector go off in the middle of the night when our oldest kid was just an infant. Coldest temps in the middle of January and we took the kid in the car and waited for the fire department to come and clear the house. It was when we were in the worst of the new born no sleep "don't make a ficking sound" misery.

It wasn't a low battery. The only thing we can think of was the alarm was getting near the expiration date.

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Wed Sep 25 8:25 am

The Nextdoor App is fascinating. I especially love people pissing and moaning about the airplane noise over their homes. "Reroute flight patterns!" Why so then some other neighborhood gets the noise and then in a few years it ends up back here?

Oh and the passionate disdain for Holiday gas stations becoming Circle K, youd think the world was ending. The amount of trivial stuff people put their energy into is just bonkers.

I will say though, shout out again to the Eagan baseball team for their fundraiser idea. Discounted bags of water softener salt? Hell yeah, I'll support your cause, I use that stuff! A plastic card for discounts at restaurants I never go to, pass. Just get schools to sell stuff ala Amway style and they'd likely have better fundraiser results
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

JC65
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 18 times

Post by JC65 » Wed Sep 25 11:02 am

Meetings that start late.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Sep 25 11:38 am

00xtremeninja wrote:
Wed Sep 25 8:25 am
The Nextdoor App is fascinating. I especially love people pissing and moaning about the airplane noise over their homes. "Reroute flight patterns!" Why so then some other neighborhood gets the noise and then in a few years it ends up back here?

Oh and the passionate disdain for Holiday gas stations becoming Circle K, youd think the world was ending. The amount of trivial stuff people put their energy into is just bonkers.

I will say though, shout out again to the Eagan baseball team for their fundraiser idea. Discounted bags of water softener salt? Hell yeah, I'll support your cause, I use that stuff! A plastic card for discounts at restaurants I never go to, pass. Just get schools to sell stuff ala Amway style and they'd likely have better fundraiser results
We used to sit around the fire drinking and reading through all the posts and comments. We would laugh so hard we couldn't even drink. My favorite one was someone lost their cat and the lost and found ad said "he answers to the name of Henry". I am not a big cat person, but do cats come running with tails wagging when a stranger call them by name?
Doug Woog - 1990

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Post by HockeyBum » Wed Sep 25 11:47 am

00xtremeninja wrote:
The Nextdoor App is fascinating.
At least in my neighborhood, the posts on Nextdoor are:

40% Lost animals
25% Daycare/babysitting
25% Plumber/electrician/tree remover recommendations
10% Other

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Wed Sep 25 12:08 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Wed Sep 25 11:47 am
00xtremeninja wrote:

40% Lost animals
25% Daycare/babysitting
10% Other
This sounds similar to the neighborhood Facebook pages but the breakdown would be more like:

30% - Complain about some local issue (i.e. roads, traffic, police, etc) instead of taking the same amount of time and emailing city council person, mayor, etc.
30% - some sort of affordable trade work (electrician, plumber)
30% - Questions about police/fire activity.
10% - actually constructive posts that I find interesting/helpful/

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Wed Sep 25 12:12 pm

Zwak wrote:
Wed Sep 25 12:08 pm
HockeyBum wrote:
Wed Sep 25 11:47 am
00xtremeninja wrote:

40% Lost animals
25% Daycare/babysitting
10% Other
This sounds similar to the neighborhood Facebook pages but the breakdown would be more like:

30% - Complain about some local issue (i.e. roads, traffic, police, etc) instead of taking the same amount of time and emailing city council person, mayor, etc.
30% - some sort of affordable trade work (electrician, plumber)
30% - Questions about police/fire activity.
10% - actually constructive posts that I find interesting/helpful/
So what you’re saying is 10% of the Facebook posts on neighborhood boards are Trivia?

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by trixR4kids » Wed Sep 25 12:36 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Wed Sep 25 11:38 am
We used to sit around the fire drinking and reading through all the posts and comments. We would laugh so hard we couldn't even drink. My favorite one was someone lost their cat and the lost and found ad said "he answers to the name of Henry". I am not a big cat person, but do cats come running with tails wagging when a stranger call them by name?
It depends if they feel like paying attn. to you or not from my experience :lol:. Usually if I call my cats by name they look in my direction or their ears perk up at least.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Orion » Wed Sep 25 1:01 pm

You guys are forgetting the 'I saw a Coyote' posts on Nextdoor.

skiier32
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by skiier32 » Wed Sep 25 1:58 pm

Zwak wrote:
Tue Sep 24 7:57 am
Bertogliat wrote:

Zwak,

We had a friend who had the same issue. Called an HVAC friend of ours and he changed the battery and said not charge. Her nick name is now LB.

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed Sep 25 2:09 pm

Ha, the one today was "Have any advice for brusied or possible fractured rib?"

YES...... go to the doctor. Or rub some dirt on it

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Wed Sep 25 8:57 pm

A recent exchange here in Plymouth:

Anne Dohmen , Jamestown

Sump pump
I think my sump pump stopped working as I have water in my basement. Any ideas on who to call? This is all new to me.

Caley Doerr , East Medicine Lake
Replacing a sump pump is super easy actually. You literally unplug it, disconnect it from the pvc pipe, and stick in a new one. I would suggest watching a youtube video or two and taking it on yourself. You'll save a bundle and it will literally take you less then 15 min.

Anne Dohmen , Jamestown
It is located under a sink and is sealed up. I am not near skilled enough to deal with cutting it open and moving a sink

Janet Lauseng , Eagle Lake
Sump pumps are not located under sinks. They are located in a hole in the floor in the basement drain tile. What you are describing sounds like a garbage disposal.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Sep 25 9:29 pm

00xtremeninja wrote:

Kwik Trip
Circle K
Holiday

That's the best, in order. I'm mad that the Circle K by my place is now a Speedway.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Wed Sep 25 10:50 pm

The way I look at it, it's a gas station. Whooooooopie doo. Snacks, coffee, soda, and hot food that is questionable in origin of where the meat came from. Why those things get people riled up is beyond me. To be fair, KT does have some decent pizza options when in a pinch.

Wanna really ruffle some feathers, just start bringing other regional things in. Screw speedway, let's replace them with WaWa. IHOP? Now Waffle House!

Actually if all shops became waffle house I'd cry tears of joy
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Sep 25 11:15 pm

00xtremeninja wrote:
Wed Sep 25 10:50 pm
The way I look at it, it's a gas station. Whooooooopie doo. Snacks, coffee, soda, and hot food that is questionable in origin of where the meat came from. Why those things get people riled up is beyond me. To be fair, KT does have some decent pizza options when in a pinch.

Wanna really ruffle some feathers, just start bringing other regional things in. Screw speedway, let's replace them with WaWa. IHOP? Now Waffle House!

EFFIN' GODDAM RIGHT WAFFLE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as gas stations, some I've been to.....hoo boy. I don't want to touch anything.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Wed Sep 25 11:20 pm

The Rube wrote:
Wed Sep 25 11:15 pm
00xtremeninja wrote:
Wed Sep 25 10:50 pm

EFFIN' GODDAM RIGHT WAFFLE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as gas stations, some I've been to.....hoo boy. I don't want to touch anything.
Smothered, covered, chunked, and capped

Norm
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Norm » Thu Sep 26 3:38 pm

Got an email from Snap Fitness today (Sep 26) saying the location I usually go to is closing. I have until Sep 19 to transfer to another home location or my membership will be cancelled.

Nice heads up Snap.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Sep 26 3:42 pm

Oh snap!

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Thu Sep 26 4:23 pm

Norm wrote:
Thu Sep 26 3:38 pm
Got an email from Snap Fitness today (Sep 26) saying the location I usually go to is closing. I have until Sep 19 to transfer to another home location or my membership will be cancelled.

Nice heads up Snap.
That’s kinda strange that they’d just cancel it when there’s like 3 Snap Fitnesses in most localities of the metro.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Thu Sep 26 9:18 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Thu Sep 26 4:23 pm
That’s kinda strange that they’d just cancel it when there’s like 3 Snap Fitnesses in most localities of the metro.
That's probably the problem as there are more of these fitness gyms all over, more than than the population can support.

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Thu Sep 26 10:41 pm

Yeah, all I’m saying is I don’t get why Snap would just cancel your membership rather than just keeping it open and making money off you while also notifying you that the gym is closing. That said idk what exactly the concept is behind having a “home” gym from Snap’s perspective so it probably has something to do with that answer.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Sep 26 10:43 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Thu Sep 26 10:41 pm
Yeah, all I’m saying is I don’t get why Snap would just cancel your membership rather than just keeping it open and making money off you while also notifying you that the gym is closing. That said idk what exactly the concept is behind having a “home” gym from Snap’s perspective so it probably has something to do with that answer.
Scare tactic. Make you choose another spot, retain membership, and less likely you'll go as often, since it's probably farther from your residence.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Norm
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Norm » Fri Sep 27 8:50 am

trixR4kids wrote:
Thu Sep 26 10:41 pm
Your "home gym" gets your membership fee, even though you can go to any Snap.

My main beef is they notified me 7 days after the deadline to transfer.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Fri Sep 27 11:34 am

Discovering a “family member” abused their Power of Attorney over a vulnerable adult. Then discovering it wasn’t criminal, just unethical.
I’m a believer in karma...I hope they choke on it. :censored:
Gruss von Krampus!! 👹

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Fri Sep 27 1:12 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Fri Sep 27 11:34 am
Discovering a “family member” abused their Power of Attorney over a vulnerable adult. Then discovering it wasn’t criminal, just unethical.
I’m a believer in karma...I hope they choke on it. :censored:
:evil:

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Beauner » Fri Sep 27 9:18 pm

00xtremeninja wrote:
We did the water softener bags when I was at Eastview for our fundraiser. Including delivery and hauling them down to the basement etc. At the time I think it was an original idea. Lots of schools in the conference started copying it shortly after. We made a boatload of money off of it back in the day.

It did suck getting partnered with the over-achiever who sold like 500 bags though.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Fri Sep 27 11:05 pm

Beauner wrote:
Fri Sep 27 9:18 pm
00xtremeninja wrote:
We did the water softener bags when I was at Eastview for our fundraiser. Including delivery and hauling them down to the basement etc. At the time I think it was an original idea. Lots of schools in the conference started copying it shortly after. We made a boatload of money off of it back in the day.

It did suck getting partnered with the over-achiever who sold like 500 bags though.
Yeah but then when you were ripped as hell from all that work, you were hitting dingers like Big Al

Greyeagle
Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 204 times

Post by Greyeagle » Sat Sep 28 7:28 am

Beauner wrote:
Fri Sep 27 9:18 pm
00xtremeninja wrote:

Did the over-achiever win a bat? :biggrin2:
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Sep 30 2:10 pm

:censored: :censored: :censored: My car was just hit. Driver has outdated insurance and NO drivers license. :censored: :censored:

Now I’m dealing with my insurance and getting the entire front of my car replaced. Bumper sheared off, broken headlight, mystery wires hanging down.
I’m pissed. Unhurt. But pissed.
Gruss von Krampus!! 👹

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Steve MN » Mon Sep 30 4:40 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Mon Sep 30 2:10 pm
:censored: :censored: :censored: My car was just hit. Driver has outdated insurance and NO drivers license. :censored: :censored:

Now I’m dealing with my insurance and getting the entire front of my car replaced. Bumper sheared off, broken headlight, mystery wires hanging down.
Glad you're unhurt. I presume that the relevant police department is already involved?
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Oct 07 11:45 am

My last full day today at the lake. I am on vacation all week, but I have neglected several projects at home this year including taking down 2 trees. Plus hockey is in full swing and tryouts are next week so if I am gonna pick a team, I better start watching kids skate.

The end of the lake season is so bittersweet. I spend the first 2-3 weeks of fall like weather being in denial that summer is over. Then I spend a couple weeks truly enjoying the fall weather, fires and chili because I know anytime we could be under several inches of snow (sounds like that will be the end of the week).

Either way, since I was a kid, the last days at the lake are always hard.
Doug Woog - 1990

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Mon Oct 07 12:02 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Mon Sep 30 2:10 pm

Glad you are okay and unhurt,

It has always bothered me that despite it being a law in MN that you must carry car insurance, one of the largest portions of our auto insurance bill is the "uninsured motorist" coverage. I get why insurance companies have to do it, I just don't like it. There should be much stronger penalties for not having insurance.

I recently had to get my new tabs. I had to show proof of my car insurance in order to get them. That's a change for the better as you used to just have to tell them you had insurance without any proof.

#rantover

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Oct 07 12:34 pm

You should have your license suspended if you don’t have insurance. But I’m sure that is impossible to enforce.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Oct 07 2:12 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Mon Oct 07 11:45 am
My last full day today at the lake. I am on vacation all week, but I have neglected several projects at home this year including taking down 2 trees. Plus hockey is in full swing and tryouts are next week so if I am gonna pick a team, I better start watching kids skate.

The end of the lake season is so bittersweet. I spend the first 2-3 weeks of fall like weather being in denial that summer is over. Then I spend a couple weeks truly enjoying the fall weather, fires and chili because I know anytime we could be under several inches of snow (sounds like that will be the end of the week).

Either way, since I was a kid, the last days at the lake are always hard.
We closed yesterday. I had a very sad and moody husband. Ours is a seasonal cabin only, we have to get the water shut off and drained before it freezes so this last weekend was as far as we wanted to risk it. It didn't help that up north it was windy, rainy and generally blah all weekend. Only bright point was listening to the football game on KBUN.
But it was a good season overall. Now I am making wild grape jelly from grapes on the island. They're much smaller, more seeds and intensely flavored. People who've tried it say "it's grape times ten". It was a bumper crop so I"m hoping for at least 16 jars. First you make grape juice, then you make the jelly. It's a 2 day process but worth it.
Gruss von Krampus!! 👹