Home Ownership

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
User avatar
MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7074
Joined: Sat Dec 30 11:24 pm
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 147 times
Age: 41

Re: Home Ownership

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Feb 26 12:22 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Tue Feb 25 7:54 pm
Of course when one thing breaks everything does. Fridge stopped working and lights are still on but won’t keep cool. The electrical on the front where the dispenser is isn’t on and that’s where you could control the temp. We just got painting done and they moved the fridge so wondering if something is loose or need a new one. Any ideas? Or who to call to repair?
Try unplugging it, letting it defrost and plugging back in. Sometimes those condensers will freeze up when moved around. If that doesn’t work, then I would call someone.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

User avatar
5 O.T.
Veteran
Posts: 4670
Joined: Fri Jul 29 4:31 pm
Location: In the "Ne" Section
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: Home Ownership

Post by 5 O.T. » Wed Feb 26 12:51 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Wed Feb 26 12:22 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:
Tue Feb 25 7:54 pm
Of course when one thing breaks everything does. Fridge stopped working and lights are still on but won’t keep cool. The electrical on the front where the dispenser is isn’t on and that’s where you could control the temp. We just got painting done and they moved the fridge so wondering if something is loose or need a new one. Any ideas? Or who to call to repair?
Try unplugging it, letting it defrost and plugging back in. Sometimes those condensers will freeze up when moved around. If that doesn’t work, then I would call someone.
You might want to check the fan on the condenser to see if it's gunked up with dog hair. (If you happen to have a dog or two)

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14371
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 109 times

Re: Home Ownership

Post by streakygopher » Wed Feb 26 1:02 pm

5 O.T. wrote:
Wed Feb 26 12:51 pm
MNGophers29 wrote:
Wed Feb 26 12:22 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:
Tue Feb 25 7:54 pm
Of course when one thing breaks everything does. Fridge stopped working and lights are still on but won’t keep cool. The electrical on the front where the dispenser is isn’t on and that’s where you could control the temp. We just got painting done and they moved the fridge so wondering if something is loose or need a new one. Any ideas? Or who to call to repair?
Try unplugging it, letting it defrost and plugging back in. Sometimes those condensers will freeze up when moved around. If that doesn’t work, then I would call someone.
You might want to check the fan on the condenser to see if it's gunked up with dog hair. (If you happen to have a dog or two)
If the symptom is that it feels like no electrical at all is getting to the pump (ie, you can't hear any motor or fan noise) it's possible the pump motor has an overload protection switch on it (similar to a garbage disposal). If the fan stops or the motor overloads the switch shuts it off and may require manual reset. Check for overload protection or maybe a loose wire. Not sure if refrigerators are equipped with these or not.

User avatar
gopherguy06
Veteran
Posts: 8856
Joined: Thu Mar 10 10:05 pm
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Home Ownership

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed Mar 04 10:56 pm

Ordered a new fridge and they tried to deliver and install, but saying I need a new water line. Never had any issues with the current line and it is a copper water line. Icukd understand if it was plastic or old but good shape and hasn't been touched since it was installed. Any reason I can't use the same line and attach to the new fridge? I may just have them deliver and I'll hook it up to the line if they won't.

User avatar
MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7074
Joined: Sat Dec 30 11:24 pm
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 147 times
Age: 41

Re: Home Ownership

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Mar 05 10:31 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Wed Mar 04 10:56 pm
Ordered a new fridge and they tried to deliver and install, but saying I need a new water line. Never had any issues with the current line and it is a copper water line. Icukd understand if it was plastic or old but good shape and hasn't been touched since it was installed. Any reason I can't use the same line and attach to the new fridge? I may just have them deliver and I'll hook it up to the line if they won't.
Most likely it is due to liability reasons. It’s very rare to use old cords on appliances and supply lines on washers, etc.

Have them deliver it and set it in place and then you can screw the line on when they leave.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

User avatar
gopherguy06
Veteran
Posts: 8856
Joined: Thu Mar 10 10:05 pm
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Home Ownership

Post by gopherguy06 » Thu Mar 05 10:32 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Thu Mar 05 10:31 am
gopherguy06 wrote:
Wed Mar 04 10:56 pm
Ordered a new fridge and they tried to deliver and install, but saying I need a new water line. Never had any issues with the current line and it is a copper water line. Icukd understand if it was plastic or old but good shape and hasn't been touched since it was installed. Any reason I can't use the same line and attach to the new fridge? I may just have them deliver and I'll hook it up to the line if they won't.
Most likely it is due to liability reasons. It’s very rare to use old cords on appliances and supply lines on washers, etc.

Have them deliver it and set it in place and then you can screw the line on when they leave.
Yeah, that is what I am going to do. Seems like pretty easy to connect to an existing line.

I am going to turn off the water, disconnect and leave it for them them to move and add the new one. I have never done that, but seems straight forward to disconnect and drain any residual water in the line.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 16851
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 415 times
Contact:

Re: Home Ownership

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Mar 05 10:46 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Mon Feb 17 10:04 am
Anyone know someone who could look at and potentially replace a water heater? Or have a recommendation on who to call?
I'm sure this is too late, but because I had to replace mine a few years back from from out of state I used CenterPoint for all of it and found the pricing and convenience to be very competitive with local retailers.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9961
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 133 times
Age: 45

Re: Home Ownership

Post by davescharf » Thu Mar 05 11:39 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Thu Mar 05 10:32 am
MNGophers29 wrote:
Thu Mar 05 10:31 am
gopherguy06 wrote:
Wed Mar 04 10:56 pm
Ordered a new fridge and they tried to deliver and install, but saying I need a new water line. Never had any issues with the current line and it is a copper water line. Icukd understand if it was plastic or old but good shape and hasn't been touched since it was installed. Any reason I can't use the same line and attach to the new fridge? I may just have them deliver and I'll hook it up to the line if they won't.
Most likely it is due to liability reasons. It’s very rare to use old cords on appliances and supply lines on washers, etc.

Have them deliver it and set it in place and then you can screw the line on when they leave.
Yeah, that is what I am going to do. Seems like pretty easy to connect to an existing line.

I am going to turn off the water, disconnect and leave it for them them to move and add the new one. I have never done that, but seems straight forward to disconnect and drain any residual water in the line.
Yes this is a simple process. Usually you’ll have a single valve that that water line connects to so it only affects that line or a portion of your Overall water. If you’re shutting off at your water main then you are going too far
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7074
Joined: Sat Dec 30 11:24 pm
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 147 times
Age: 41

Re: Home Ownership

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Mar 05 12:16 pm

davescharf wrote:
Thu Mar 05 11:39 am
gopherguy06 wrote:
Thu Mar 05 10:32 am
MNGophers29 wrote:
Thu Mar 05 10:31 am
gopherguy06 wrote:
Wed Mar 04 10:56 pm
Ordered a new fridge and they tried to deliver and install, but saying I need a new water line. Never had any issues with the current line and it is a copper water line. Icukd understand if it was plastic or old but good shape and hasn't been touched since it was installed. Any reason I can't use the same line and attach to the new fridge? I may just have them deliver and I'll hook it up to the line if they won't.
Most likely it is due to liability reasons. It’s very rare to use old cords on appliances and supply lines on washers, etc.

Have them deliver it and set it in place and then you can screw the line on when they leave.
Yeah, that is what I am going to do. Seems like pretty easy to connect to an existing line.

I am going to turn off the water, disconnect and leave it for them them to move and add the new one. I have never done that, but seems straight forward to disconnect and drain any residual water in the line.
Yes this is a simple process. Usually you’ll have a single valve that that water line connects to so it only affects that line or a portion of your Overall water. If you’re shutting off at your water main then you are going too far
Also, depending on how long it has been since you have shut that water line off, it may leak some because the washers dry and shrink a little. I don’t know that I have ever had one that didn’t leak a little.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10746
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 363 times
Age: 45

Re: Home Ownership

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Apr 28 9:06 am

Has anyone ever had drain tile or a french drain installed? I assume I need a landscape company to do this, but I would also assume most landscapers don't to this type of work.

I am not sure where to start. My house is built on a former sod farm and the water around my house doesn't drain away very well. We've had some frost heave around the base of the house which has pushed the foam insulation up and buckled the siding out. We also have 2 posts from our deck stairs that get pushed up several inches each winter.

I need to get this water away from the house. But I need it done right, and not half-assed.

User avatar
D2D
Veteran
Posts: 2820
Joined: Wed Oct 24 12:48 am
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 127 times

Re: Home Ownership

Post by D2D » Tue Apr 28 10:50 am

Top two things that really bother my wife:

1. Water in the basement (thankfully none this year), and
2. Bugs of any kind, anywhere in the house
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10746
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 363 times
Age: 45

Re: Home Ownership

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Apr 28 11:44 am

D2D wrote:
Tue Apr 28 10:50 am
Top two things that really bother my wife:

1. Water in the basement (thankfully none this year), and
2. Bugs of any kind, anywhere in the house
Shortly after we moved in we had water seep up through the basement floor. Turns out the sump pump died and we had a lot of rain.

We bit the bullet and had a high end sump installed with redundant pumps. Each pump has redundant floats. And we have battery back up and alarms, just in case. Thankfully it is still humming along.

I think once we get some drain tile installed outside the house, we should have more insurance against basement flooding.

I think the money we spend on this will also go a long way in resale of the house as well so we should get a chunk of it back eventually.

User avatar
D2D
Veteran
Posts: 2820
Joined: Wed Oct 24 12:48 am
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 127 times

Re: Home Ownership

Post by D2D » Tue Apr 28 11:55 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Apr 28 11:44 am
I think the money we spend on this will also go a long way in resale of the house as well so we should get a chunk of it back eventually.
Great moves. About all I've done so far is buying an extra pump in case the one we have fails. So far this Spring it hasn't gone off once. With the snow melted and the frost out of the ground it would now take a big rainstorm to set it off.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

User avatar
NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1560
Joined: Mon Jan 21 9:15 pm
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Home Ownership

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Tue Apr 28 12:21 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Apr 28 9:06 am
Has anyone ever had drain tile or a french drain installed? I assume I need a landscape company to do this, but I would also assume most landscapers don't to this type of work.

I am not sure where to start. My house is built on a former sod farm and the water around my house doesn't drain away very well. We've had some frost heave around the base of the house which has pushed the foam insulation up and buckled the siding out. We also have 2 posts from our deck stairs that get pushed up several inches each winter.

I need to get this water away from the house. But I need it done right, and not half-assed.
Story of my last two years. I feel you.

My neighbor just spent 18k on a French drain and complete regrading of his back yard. I think he got several quotes.

Sounds like you need grading for water to properly drain, whether that’s tile or French drain I certainly wouldn’t know. I get such conflicting info from different people. Supposedly my hood is on swamp land so it’s normal for our pumps to run all the time, even in winter. Add in that previous owners of my home finished the basement without adding drain tile (so the sump pit is literally just a pit) and chose not to tie into city pipes when the road was redone.
I installed a battery back up sump, am now going to look into regrading because I need a better solution of where to discharge the sump water

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9961
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 133 times
Age: 45

Re: Home Ownership

Post by davescharf » Tue Apr 28 12:23 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Apr 28 9:06 am
Has anyone ever had drain tile or a french drain installed? I assume I need a landscape company to do this, but I would also assume most landscapers don't to this type of work.

I am not sure where to start. My house is built on a former sod farm and the water around my house doesn't drain away very well. We've had some frost heave around the base of the house which has pushed the foam insulation up and buckled the siding out. We also have 2 posts from our deck stairs that get pushed up several inches each winter.

I need to get this water away from the house. But I need it done right, and not half-assed.
We just had interior tile installed last Winter. Any basement waterproofing company should be able to help you with this since they also do exterior mitigation

My advice is to call them soon. They were overwhelmed last year and just to get a consult took us 2-3 months.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10746
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 363 times
Age: 45

Re: Home Ownership

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Apr 28 12:51 pm

NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Tue Apr 28 12:21 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Apr 28 9:06 am
Has anyone ever had drain tile or a french drain installed? I assume I need a landscape company to do this, but I would also assume most landscapers don't to this type of work.

I am not sure where to start. My house is built on a former sod farm and the water around my house doesn't drain away very well. We've had some frost heave around the base of the house which has pushed the foam insulation up and buckled the siding out. We also have 2 posts from our deck stairs that get pushed up several inches each winter.

I need to get this water away from the house. But I need it done right, and not half-assed.
Story of my last two years. I feel you.

My neighbor just spent 18k on a French drain and complete regrading of his back yard. I think he got several quotes.

Sounds like you need grading for water to properly drain, whether that’s tile or French drain I certainly wouldn’t know. I get such conflicting info from different people. Supposedly my hood is on swamp land so it’s normal for our pumps to run all the time, even in winter. Add in that previous owners of my home finished the basement without adding drain tile (so the sump pit is literally just a pit) and chose not to tie into city pipes when the road was redone.
I installed a battery back up sump, am now going to look into regrading because I need a better solution of where to discharge the sump water
We have a pond just behind our house and are about 10 feet higher than the pond. So our water table should be low. However our type of soil (clay/peat) beneath the ground that holds water rather than letting it drain away. I think it could be graded better (steeper grade) but it isn't graded toward the house. I need to give the groundwater an underground tunnel.

I certainly don't like the sound of $18k. :shock: I was thinking more like $7-8. I hope your neighbor had a much larger area to drain than I do. :beg:

After talking with a reputable basement drainage company it sounds like landscapers are the way to go for this project. I found one company that has a web page dedicated to water drainage (french drains, dry river beds, etc). I'll see what they have to say.

User avatar
NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1560
Joined: Mon Jan 21 9:15 pm
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Home Ownership

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Tue Apr 28 1:05 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Apr 28 12:51 pm
NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Tue Apr 28 12:21 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Apr 28 9:06 am
Has anyone ever had drain tile or a french drain installed? I assume I need a landscape company to do this, but I would also assume most landscapers don't to this type of work.

I am not sure where to start. My house is built on a former sod farm and the water around my house doesn't drain away very well. We've had some frost heave around the base of the house which has pushed the foam insulation up and buckled the siding out. We also have 2 posts from our deck stairs that get pushed up several inches each winter.

I need to get this water away from the house. But I need it done right, and not half-assed.
Story of my last two years. I feel you.

My neighbor just spent 18k on a French drain and complete regrading of his back yard. I think he got several quotes.

Sounds like you need grading for water to properly drain, whether that’s tile or French drain I certainly wouldn’t know. I get such conflicting info from different people. Supposedly my hood is on swamp land so it’s normal for our pumps to run all the time, even in winter. Add in that previous owners of my home finished the basement without adding drain tile (so the sump pit is literally just a pit) and chose not to tie into city pipes when the road was redone.
I installed a battery back up sump, am now going to look into regrading because I need a better solution of where to discharge the sump water
We have a pond just behind our house and are about 10 feet higher than the pond. So our water table should be low. However our type of soil (clay/peat) beneath the ground that holds water rather than letting it drain away. I think it could be graded better (steeper grade) but it isn't graded toward the house. I need to give the groundwater an underground tunnel.

I certainly don't like the sound of $18k. :shock: I was thinking more like $7-8. I hope your neighbor had a much larger area to drain than I do. :beg:

After talking with a reputable basement drainage company it sounds like landscapers are the way to go for this project. I found one company that has a web page dedicated to water drainage (french drains, dry river beds, etc). I'll see what they have to say.
Our lots are close to 10,000sq ft. So I think he had a 75 foot long drain done. He split the cost with the house behind him. How much of that cost was drain vs grading I am not sure

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3843
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 133 times

Re: Home Ownership

Post by Bladepuller » Tue Apr 28 1:18 pm

An alternative to a pump, if you have enough fall, is a bell siphon.
A problem with exterior drains is freezing. Would a French drain need heat protection (tape) in the pipe?
My in floor system at ML has a condensing boiler legally discharging into a floor drain. The 1st year the line froze due to only the condensate trickle and no domestic (shower, water closet, kitchen, H2O softener) use.
I now have a 5 gallon tub with a condesate pump taking the condensate from the boiler. The key is when the pump cycles the H2O is a large enough volume that it "runs" vs a trickle. Running water is much harder to freeze.
I have the conventional fix but am going to mess around with making a bell siphon (Lots of info on Youtube) yet still have the pump in the tub, but the float high enough that it would be a back up. Yeah, over thinking it likely but I like to make stuff.
@George hopefully will chime in
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10746
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 363 times
Age: 45

Re: Home Ownership

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Apr 28 1:49 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Tue Apr 28 1:18 pm
An alternative to a pump, if you have enough fall, is a bell siphon.
A problem with exterior drains is freezing. Would a French drain need heat protection (tape) in the pipe?
My in floor system at ML has a condensing boiler legally discharging into a floor drain. The 1st year the line froze due to only the condensate trickle and no domestic (shower, water closet, kitchen, H2O softener) use.
I now have a 5 gallon tub with a condesate pump taking the condensate from the boiler. The key is when the pump cycles the H2O is a large enough volume that it "runs" vs a trickle. Running water is much harder to freeze.
I have the conventional fix but am going to mess around with making a bell siphon (Lots of info on Youtube) yet still have the pump in the tub, but the float high enough that it would be a back up. Yeah, over thinking it likely but I like to make stuff.
@George hopefully will chime in
Our sump pump doesn't run in the winter (pit is dry) so I assume we don't have water flow under our house, thank God. If we install a french drain on the exterior, my thought is that it would drain the area of most water during the summer months, and the ground should be mostly free of water come late fall when the ground freezes (and no need for the drain over winter).

If that is the case, the heaving should be eliminated or greatly reduced.

However, we don't plan to have a new patio poured until the next summer to make sure the drainage is working properly.

User avatar
george
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5760
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:14 am
Location: Edina
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Re: Home Ownership

Post by george » Tue Apr 28 1:55 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Tue Apr 28 1:18 pm
An alternative to a pump, if you have enough fall, is a bell siphon.
A problem with exterior drains is freezing. Would a French drain need heat protection (tape) in the pipe?
My in floor system at ML has a condensing boiler legally discharging into a floor drain. The 1st year the line froze due to only the condensate trickle and no domestic (shower, water closet, kitchen, H2O softener) use.
I now have a 5 gallon tub with a condesate pump taking the condensate from the boiler. The key is when the pump cycles the H2O is a large enough volume that it "runs" vs a trickle. Running water is much harder to freeze.
I have the conventional fix but am going to mess around with making a bell siphon (Lots of info on Youtube) yet still have the pump in the tub, but the float high enough that it would be a back up. Yeah, over thinking it likely but I like to make stuff.
@George hopefully will chime in
Sorry, can't help. I put a French drain in for a downspout that had to dip under a sidewalk at my house, but otherwise no insight on the issue. My commercial jobs we've always handled the drainage in different ways - connected to municipal, daylighted where grade drops or put in a vertical seep well.

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3843
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 133 times

Re: Home Ownership

Post by Bladepuller » Tue Apr 28 2:14 pm

To me daylighting is always the way to go but I've seen so many systems freeze up. My own gutters / pop ups froze at ML this year.
At $350 a pop to have my sanitary line steamed last winter I was on it this year.
Jason, I would have provisions for installation removal and repair, etc for a frost tape. Clean out, outlet, and fish tape to reach the end.
Also sand bedding is your friend on the drain tile .lots and lots of sand.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
george
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5760
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:14 am
Location: Edina
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Re: Home Ownership

Post by george » Tue Apr 28 2:42 pm

I should mention that I have heat tape in my French drain, otherwise it would freeze for sure.

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10746
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 363 times
Age: 45

Re: Home Ownership

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Apr 28 7:25 pm

So freeze tape and sand? Not rock? Is freeze tape different than the heated wire used in gutter down spouts or along roof overhangs?

What is daylighting?

I have pop ups for my gutter drainage. I assume they freeze, but it doesn’t cause issues since not much water flows in winter.

User avatar
george
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5760
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:14 am
Location: Edina
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Re: Home Ownership

Post by george » Tue Apr 28 8:27 pm

Daylighting is pitching the drain down until the grade falls away faster and the waste exits to daylight. You need to have the grade drop away to be able to do that.

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3843
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 133 times

Re: Home Ownership

Post by Bladepuller » Tue Apr 28 9:58 pm

Sand drains well. Rock drains even faster & can contaminate with fine material (clay). When clay clogs the filter sock on the tile, bad.
A good contractor will know.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Posts: 1218
Joined: Tue Jul 29 12:50 pm
Location: Mortgage Business
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 48 times
Age: 49
Contact:

Re: Home Ownership

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Tue Jun 30 4:53 pm

Hey all,

Jup gave me his blessing to post a brief message about mortgage rates. If you haven't heard, we've hit record lows in mortgage rates this week and I've been quoting 30 year fixed rates under 3.0%! If your current rate is over 3.875% or you're paying monthly mortgage insurance PM me to find out if I can help you save thousands of dollars. All GPL'ers get the Podcast special which is $300 off your closing costs.

One last thing to keep the lawyers happy.....This is not an offer to lock into an interest rate agreement under Minnesota Law.

Thanks,

Jerry Peters, NMLS # 480200
First Class Mortgage, NMLS # 322842.

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 19735
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 974 times
Been liked: 661 times
Age: 54

Re: Home Ownership

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Jun 30 5:23 pm

Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:
Tue Jun 30 4:53 pm
Hey all,

Jup gave me his blessing to post a brief message about mortgage rates. If you haven't heard, we've hit record lows in mortgage rates this week and I've been quoting 30 year fixed rates under 3.0%! If your current rate is over 3.875% or you're paying monthly mortgage insurance PM me to find out if I can help you save thousands of dollars. All GPL'ers get the Podcast special which is $300 off your closing costs.

One last thing to keep the lawyers happy.....This is not an offer to lock into an interest rate agreement under Minnesota Law.

Thanks,

Jerry Peters, NMLS # 480200
First Class Mortgage, NMLS # 322842.
I just paid off me house or... 😀
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

User avatar
Orion
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2614
Joined: Wed Feb 15 7:51 pm
Location: 13.2 miles from Mariucci
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: Home Ownership

Post by Orion » Tue Jun 30 6:23 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Tue Jun 30 5:23 pm
Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:
Tue Jun 30 4:53 pm
Hey all,

Jup gave me his blessing to post a brief message about mortgage rates. If you haven't heard, we've hit record lows in mortgage rates this week and I've been quoting 30 year fixed rates under 3.0%! If your current rate is over 3.875% or you're paying monthly mortgage insurance PM me to find out if I can help you save thousands of dollars. All GPL'ers get the Podcast special which is $300 off your closing costs.

One last thing to keep the lawyers happy.....This is not an offer to lock into an interest rate agreement under Minnesota Law.

Thanks,

Jerry Peters, NMLS # 480200
First Class Mortgage, NMLS # 322842.
I just paid off me house or... 😀
Home equity loan. You can finally buy a cabin of your own!

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9961
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 133 times
Age: 45

Re: Home Ownership

Post by davescharf » Tue Jun 30 6:30 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Tue Jun 30 5:23 pm
Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:
Tue Jun 30 4:53 pm
Hey all,

Jup gave me his blessing to post a brief message about mortgage rates. If you haven't heard, we've hit record lows in mortgage rates this week and I've been quoting 30 year fixed rates under 3.0%! If your current rate is over 3.875% or you're paying monthly mortgage insurance PM me to find out if I can help you save thousands of dollars. All GPL'ers get the Podcast special which is $300 off your closing costs.

One last thing to keep the lawyers happy.....This is not an offer to lock into an interest rate agreement under Minnesota Law.

Thanks,

Jerry Peters, NMLS # 480200
First Class Mortgage, NMLS # 322842.
I just paid off me house or... 😀
That would be a nice feeling. We still have 10 years to go and a fresh new HELOC for the new basement. We are at that stage where everything we want to do runs in the 5 figures. All the 3 and 4 figure stuff is mostly done
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3522
Joined: Thu Jun 03 12:28 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 52 times
Contact:

Re: Home Ownership

Post by HockeyBum » Mon Oct 19 1:19 pm

Anyone have a recommendation for a backyard shed? I'm not very handy, so preferably pre-assembled and delivered? I've only just started to look into it, and the options are kind of overwhelming.

I plan to put it on a concrete pad. The pad will be around 16 x 12, but I haven't decided yet if I want a 10 x 12 shed (and leave the rest of the pad open), or to make the shed larger to fill the whole pad.

I currently have a crappy 10 x 12 plastic shed that places like Home Depot sell. It was there when I bought the house 11 years ago, and it's leaky, caving in, and falling apart. Want to replace it with something higher quality.

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9961
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 133 times
Age: 45

Re: Home Ownership

Post by davescharf » Mon Oct 19 1:32 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Mon Oct 19 1:19 pm
Anyone have a recommendation for a backyard shed? I'm not very handy, so preferably pre-assembled and delivered? I've only just started to look into it, and the options are kind of overwhelming.

I plan to put it on a concrete pad. The pad will be around 16 x 12, but I haven't decided yet if I want a 10 x 12 shed (and leave the rest of the pad open), or to make the shed larger to fill the whole pad.

I currently have a crappy 10 x 12 plastic shed that places like Home Depot sell. It was there when I bought the house 11 years ago, and it's leaky, caving in, and falling apart. Want to replace it with something higher quality.
We bought a 10x10 Tuff Shed last year and I’ve been very happy with it. We bought it from them because they have so many more options than what Lowe’s or HD will have. Install took them about half a day but I didn’t pour a slab because the floor is good and it’s pretty level where we installed it

Another option would be to talk to a Contractor and see what they could do.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7864
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 399 times
Been liked: 498 times
Age: 33

Re: Home Ownership

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Oct 19 2:54 pm

davescharf wrote:
Mon Oct 19 1:32 pm
HockeyBum wrote:
Mon Oct 19 1:19 pm
Anyone have a recommendation for a backyard shed? I'm not very handy, so preferably pre-assembled and delivered? I've only just started to look into it, and the options are kind of overwhelming.

I plan to put it on a concrete pad. The pad will be around 16 x 12, but I haven't decided yet if I want a 10 x 12 shed (and leave the rest of the pad open), or to make the shed larger to fill the whole pad.

I currently have a crappy 10 x 12 plastic shed that places like Home Depot sell. It was there when I bought the house 11 years ago, and it's leaky, caving in, and falling apart. Want to replace it with something higher quality.
We bought a 10x10 Tuff Shed last year and I’ve been very happy with it. We bought it from them because they have so many more options than what Lowe’s or HD will have. Install took them about half a day but I didn’t pour a slab because the floor is good and it’s pretty level where we installed it

Another option would be to talk to a Contractor and see what they could do.
We have a pad awaiting a shed, we’d prefer to build to get a little more custom but lumber prices are atrocious right now so a contractor will be pricey.

This spring we estimated $4k for a 10x12 shed with a 4’ roof overhang to stack firewood under. Right now it would easily be $5k or more - this is buy the lumber and DIY.

GopherPete
Veteran
Posts: 643
Joined: Mon Apr 09 10:47 am
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Home Ownership

Post by GopherPete » Tue Oct 20 9:11 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Oct 19 2:54 pm
davescharf wrote:
Mon Oct 19 1:32 pm
HockeyBum wrote:
Mon Oct 19 1:19 pm
Anyone have a recommendation for a backyard shed? I'm not very handy, so preferably pre-assembled and delivered? I've only just started to look into it, and the options are kind of overwhelming.

I plan to put it on a concrete pad. The pad will be around 16 x 12, but I haven't decided yet if I want a 10 x 12 shed (and leave the rest of the pad open), or to make the shed larger to fill the whole pad.

I currently have a crappy 10 x 12 plastic shed that places like Home Depot sell. It was there when I bought the house 11 years ago, and it's leaky, caving in, and falling apart. Want to replace it with something higher quality.
We bought a 10x10 Tuff Shed last year and I’ve been very happy with it. We bought it from them because they have so many more options than what Lowe’s or HD will have. Install took them about half a day but I didn’t pour a slab because the floor is good and it’s pretty level where we installed it

Another option would be to talk to a Contractor and see what they could do.
We have a pad awaiting a shed, we’d prefer to build to get a little more custom but lumber prices are atrocious right now so a contractor will be pricey.

This spring we estimated $4k for a 10x12 shed with a 4’ roof overhang to stack firewood under. Right now it would easily be $5k or more - this is buy the lumber and DIY.
Try to see if there is a sawmill that you can get the lumber from, might save you half the cost vs. box store/lumberyard.

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29004
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 318 times
Age: 32

Re: Home Ownership

Post by Beauner » Tue Oct 20 8:04 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Oct 19 2:54 pm
davescharf wrote:
Mon Oct 19 1:32 pm
HockeyBum wrote:
Mon Oct 19 1:19 pm
Anyone have a recommendation for a backyard shed? I'm not very handy, so preferably pre-assembled and delivered? I've only just started to look into it, and the options are kind of overwhelming.

I plan to put it on a concrete pad. The pad will be around 16 x 12, but I haven't decided yet if I want a 10 x 12 shed (and leave the rest of the pad open), or to make the shed larger to fill the whole pad.

I currently have a crappy 10 x 12 plastic shed that places like Home Depot sell. It was there when I bought the house 11 years ago, and it's leaky, caving in, and falling apart. Want to replace it with something higher quality.
We bought a 10x10 Tuff Shed last year and I’ve been very happy with it. We bought it from them because they have so many more options than what Lowe’s or HD will have. Install took them about half a day but I didn’t pour a slab because the floor is good and it’s pretty level where we installed it

Another option would be to talk to a Contractor and see what they could do.
We have a pad awaiting a shed, we’d prefer to build to get a little more custom but lumber prices are atrocious right now so a contractor will be pricey.

This spring we estimated $4k for a 10x12 shed with a 4’ roof overhang to stack firewood under. Right now it would easily be $5k or more - this is buy the lumber and DIY.
My dad just poured his concrete slab this weekend and is going to build a shed himself next spring. They live in Glencoe now and got a great deal from a company out there for the labor and some of the wood.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7074
Joined: Sat Dec 30 11:24 pm
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 147 times
Age: 41

Re: Home Ownership

Post by MNGophers29 » Tue Oct 20 8:28 pm

davescharf wrote:
Mon Oct 19 1:32 pm
HockeyBum wrote:
Mon Oct 19 1:19 pm
Anyone have a recommendation for a backyard shed? I'm not very handy, so preferably pre-assembled and delivered? I've only just started to look into it, and the options are kind of overwhelming.

I plan to put it on a concrete pad. The pad will be around 16 x 12, but I haven't decided yet if I want a 10 x 12 shed (and leave the rest of the pad open), or to make the shed larger to fill the whole pad.

I currently have a crappy 10 x 12 plastic shed that places like Home Depot sell. It was there when I bought the house 11 years ago, and it's leaky, caving in, and falling apart. Want to replace it with something higher quality.
We bought a 10x10 Tuff Shed last year and I’ve been very happy with it. We bought it from them because they have so many more options than what Lowe’s or HD will have. Install took them about half a day but I didn’t pour a slab because the floor is good and it’s pretty level where we installed it

Another option would be to talk to a Contractor and see what they could do.
We can customize the shed anyway you want. You just have to either buy from the Tuff Shed rep or speak to someone who knows how to do it. While we do sell packages, they can be customized anyway you want.

So far, Tuff Shed prices haven’t increased at the same rate as lumber/plywood prices. I am sure it is coming at some point.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

GO4
Rookie
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Feb 11 11:06 am
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Home Ownership

Post by GO4 » Tue Oct 20 9:30 pm

I got an 8x12 from https://www.oldhickorybuildings.com a couple years ago. My only complaint would be that one of the doors is sagging slightly. It must have happened from sitting on unlevel ground for a summer or from me trying to move it into its permanent location under my deck. The door still works and locks but it looks off when you look at the whole front of the shed.

They have a cool design tool on their website that was helpful when planning.

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10746
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 363 times
Age: 45

Re: Home Ownership

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Nov 02 8:51 am

I have a large drain tile project starting in my back yard today. They are really tearing the hell out of my yard. I know it's part of the process. But, as someone who keeps a very nice, flat, weed-free, green lawn it's very stressful. :ahhh:

I am glad I didn't hire a sketchy company or I'd have to sit back there with a lawn chair. :lol:

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9961
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 133 times
Age: 45

Re: Home Ownership

Post by davescharf » Mon Nov 02 8:53 am

Just watching them redo the drain tile inside my house was stressful enough. Ripping up grass and all that dirt would be even worse. Hope it all goes well
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Kelly Red
Veteran
Posts: 3121
Joined: Wed Dec 05 4:12 pm
Location: High Horse
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 144 times

Re: Home Ownership

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Nov 02 10:39 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Nov 02 8:51 am
I am glad I didn't hire a sketchy company or I'd have to sit back there with a lawn chair. :lol:
Oh admit it, you’re lingering at the edge of the window, you might as well make yourself comfortable.
Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let’s go. We’re burning daylight.
-John Wayne

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10746
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 363 times
Age: 45

Re: Home Ownership

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Nov 02 10:50 am

Kelly Red wrote:
Mon Nov 02 10:39 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Nov 02 8:51 am
I am glad I didn't hire a sketchy company or I'd have to sit back there with a lawn chair. :lol:
Oh admit it, you’re lingering at the edge of the window, you might as well make yourself comfortable.
Yeah, I've checked the video a couple times. Mostly because I wanted to see what was under the patio.

Turns out whoever laid the patio didn't bother to use rebar or replace the mucky clay underneath with compactable fill. That explains the cracks and sunken portion of the patio. I don't understand why people half-ass big projects.

User avatar
fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3704
Joined: Mon Apr 18 9:45 pm
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 51 times
Age: 34

Re: Home Ownership

Post by fightclub30 » Mon Nov 02 11:24 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Nov 02 10:50 am
Kelly Red wrote:
Mon Nov 02 10:39 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Nov 02 8:51 am
I am glad I didn't hire a sketchy company or I'd have to sit back there with a lawn chair. :lol:
Oh admit it, you’re lingering at the edge of the window, you might as well make yourself comfortable.
Yeah, I've checked the video a couple times. Mostly because I wanted to see what was under the patio.

Turns out whoever laid the patio didn't bother to use rebar or replace the mucky clay underneath with compactable fill. That explains the cracks and sunken portion of the patio. I don't understand why people half-ass big projects.
To save $3.50. Its why I will never by a flipped house, every corner was cut. Nobody plans to stay in their house as a place to live anymore, somewhere along the way everyone started looking at their houses as an investment. People on average stay in homes probably 4 or 5 years now. So I'll save money some money now and someone else can deal with the actual problem later, after I've moved on. Then I get the maximum amount of my investment because they only see the aesthetic portion, not the underneath which I have ruined.

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10746
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 363 times
Age: 45

Re: Home Ownership

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Nov 03 10:33 am

The sound of weeping holes being drilled through the foundation makes me anxious. LOL

User avatar
Orion
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2614
Joined: Wed Feb 15 7:51 pm
Location: 13.2 miles from Mariucci
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: Home Ownership

Post by Orion » Tue Nov 03 8:09 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Nov 03 10:33 am
The sound of weeping holes being drilled through the foundation makes me anxious. LOL
As long as you don't hear 'damn! Get a bucket'

Post Reply