Home Ownership

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
User avatar
MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6847
Joined: Sat Dec 30 11:24 pm
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 96 times
Age: 41

Re: Home Ownership

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Feb 26 12:22 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Tue Feb 25 7:54 pm
Of course when one thing breaks everything does. Fridge stopped working and lights are still on but won’t keep cool. The electrical on the front where the dispenser is isn’t on and that’s where you could control the temp. We just got painting done and they moved the fridge so wondering if something is loose or need a new one. Any ideas? Or who to call to repair?
Try unplugging it, letting it defrost and plugging back in. Sometimes those condensers will freeze up when moved around. If that doesn’t work, then I would call someone.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

User avatar
5 O.T.
Veteran
Posts: 4613
Joined: Fri Jul 29 4:31 pm
Location: In the "Ne" Section
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 51 times

Re: Home Ownership

Post by 5 O.T. » Wed Feb 26 12:51 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Wed Feb 26 12:22 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:
Tue Feb 25 7:54 pm
Of course when one thing breaks everything does. Fridge stopped working and lights are still on but won’t keep cool. The electrical on the front where the dispenser is isn’t on and that’s where you could control the temp. We just got painting done and they moved the fridge so wondering if something is loose or need a new one. Any ideas? Or who to call to repair?
Try unplugging it, letting it defrost and plugging back in. Sometimes those condensers will freeze up when moved around. If that doesn’t work, then I would call someone.
You might want to check the fan on the condenser to see if it's gunked up with dog hair. (If you happen to have a dog or two)

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14298
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 93 times

Re: Home Ownership

Post by streakygopher » Wed Feb 26 1:02 pm

5 O.T. wrote:
Wed Feb 26 12:51 pm
MNGophers29 wrote:
Wed Feb 26 12:22 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:
Tue Feb 25 7:54 pm
Of course when one thing breaks everything does. Fridge stopped working and lights are still on but won’t keep cool. The electrical on the front where the dispenser is isn’t on and that’s where you could control the temp. We just got painting done and they moved the fridge so wondering if something is loose or need a new one. Any ideas? Or who to call to repair?
Try unplugging it, letting it defrost and plugging back in. Sometimes those condensers will freeze up when moved around. If that doesn’t work, then I would call someone.
You might want to check the fan on the condenser to see if it's gunked up with dog hair. (If you happen to have a dog or two)
If the symptom is that it feels like no electrical at all is getting to the pump (ie, you can't hear any motor or fan noise) it's possible the pump motor has an overload protection switch on it (similar to a garbage disposal). If the fan stops or the motor overloads the switch shuts it off and may require manual reset. Check for overload protection or maybe a loose wire. Not sure if refrigerators are equipped with these or not.

User avatar
gopherguy06
Veteran
Posts: 8583
Joined: Thu Mar 10 10:05 pm
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Home Ownership

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed Mar 04 10:56 pm

Ordered a new fridge and they tried to deliver and install, but saying I need a new water line. Never had any issues with the current line and it is a copper water line. Icukd understand if it was plastic or old but good shape and hasn't been touched since it was installed. Any reason I can't use the same line and attach to the new fridge? I may just have them deliver and I'll hook it up to the line if they won't.

User avatar
MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6847
Joined: Sat Dec 30 11:24 pm
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 96 times
Age: 41

Re: Home Ownership

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Mar 05 10:31 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Wed Mar 04 10:56 pm
Ordered a new fridge and they tried to deliver and install, but saying I need a new water line. Never had any issues with the current line and it is a copper water line. Icukd understand if it was plastic or old but good shape and hasn't been touched since it was installed. Any reason I can't use the same line and attach to the new fridge? I may just have them deliver and I'll hook it up to the line if they won't.
Most likely it is due to liability reasons. It’s very rare to use old cords on appliances and supply lines on washers, etc.

Have them deliver it and set it in place and then you can screw the line on when they leave.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

User avatar
gopherguy06
Veteran
Posts: 8583
Joined: Thu Mar 10 10:05 pm
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Home Ownership

Post by gopherguy06 » Thu Mar 05 10:32 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Thu Mar 05 10:31 am
gopherguy06 wrote:
Wed Mar 04 10:56 pm
Ordered a new fridge and they tried to deliver and install, but saying I need a new water line. Never had any issues with the current line and it is a copper water line. Icukd understand if it was plastic or old but good shape and hasn't been touched since it was installed. Any reason I can't use the same line and attach to the new fridge? I may just have them deliver and I'll hook it up to the line if they won't.
Most likely it is due to liability reasons. It’s very rare to use old cords on appliances and supply lines on washers, etc.

Have them deliver it and set it in place and then you can screw the line on when they leave.
Yeah, that is what I am going to do. Seems like pretty easy to connect to an existing line.

I am going to turn off the water, disconnect and leave it for them them to move and add the new one. I have never done that, but seems straight forward to disconnect and drain any residual water in the line.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 16251
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 273 times
Contact:

Re: Home Ownership

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Mar 05 10:46 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Mon Feb 17 10:04 am
Anyone know someone who could look at and potentially replace a water heater? Or have a recommendation on who to call?
I'm sure this is too late, but because I had to replace mine a few years back from from out of state I used CenterPoint for all of it and found the pricing and convenience to be very competitive with local retailers.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9459
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 56 times
Age: 44

Re: Home Ownership

Post by davescharf » Thu Mar 05 11:39 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Thu Mar 05 10:32 am
MNGophers29 wrote:
Thu Mar 05 10:31 am
gopherguy06 wrote:
Wed Mar 04 10:56 pm
Ordered a new fridge and they tried to deliver and install, but saying I need a new water line. Never had any issues with the current line and it is a copper water line. Icukd understand if it was plastic or old but good shape and hasn't been touched since it was installed. Any reason I can't use the same line and attach to the new fridge? I may just have them deliver and I'll hook it up to the line if they won't.
Most likely it is due to liability reasons. It’s very rare to use old cords on appliances and supply lines on washers, etc.

Have them deliver it and set it in place and then you can screw the line on when they leave.
Yeah, that is what I am going to do. Seems like pretty easy to connect to an existing line.

I am going to turn off the water, disconnect and leave it for them them to move and add the new one. I have never done that, but seems straight forward to disconnect and drain any residual water in the line.
Yes this is a simple process. Usually you’ll have a single valve that that water line connects to so it only affects that line or a portion of your Overall water. If you’re shutting off at your water main then you are going too far
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6847
Joined: Sat Dec 30 11:24 pm
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 96 times
Age: 41

Re: Home Ownership

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Mar 05 12:16 pm

davescharf wrote:
Thu Mar 05 11:39 am
gopherguy06 wrote:
Thu Mar 05 10:32 am
MNGophers29 wrote:
Thu Mar 05 10:31 am
gopherguy06 wrote:
Wed Mar 04 10:56 pm
Ordered a new fridge and they tried to deliver and install, but saying I need a new water line. Never had any issues with the current line and it is a copper water line. Icukd understand if it was plastic or old but good shape and hasn't been touched since it was installed. Any reason I can't use the same line and attach to the new fridge? I may just have them deliver and I'll hook it up to the line if they won't.
Most likely it is due to liability reasons. It’s very rare to use old cords on appliances and supply lines on washers, etc.

Have them deliver it and set it in place and then you can screw the line on when they leave.
Yeah, that is what I am going to do. Seems like pretty easy to connect to an existing line.

I am going to turn off the water, disconnect and leave it for them them to move and add the new one. I have never done that, but seems straight forward to disconnect and drain any residual water in the line.
Yes this is a simple process. Usually you’ll have a single valve that that water line connects to so it only affects that line or a portion of your Overall water. If you’re shutting off at your water main then you are going too far
Also, depending on how long it has been since you have shut that water line off, it may leak some because the washers dry and shrink a little. I don’t know that I have ever had one that didn’t leak a little.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Post Reply