Home Ownership

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 195 times

Re: Home Ownership

Post by JWG » Tue Dec 10 8:24 am

With the bitter cold temperatures and very low humidity outside, condensation will be a big issue for homes on the inside. Time to turn down the humidistat inside the house.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Thomps
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Thomps » Tue Dec 10 8:30 am

Run a humidifier to draw some of the moisture out of your house as well as turn down your humidifier if you have one of those. My humidifier is controlled by my thermostat, and looks out outside temps as well... it is barely ever on.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 148 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Tue Dec 10 8:51 pm

Alright so here is the skinny on condensation/frost on windows this time of year.

Most wood/laminate flooring needs 35-55% humidity to maintain. No way you can do that in the winter without your windows running water and becoming an ice brick. For those that have condensation and frost, it’s a double edged sword. You need to open your blinds and put a fan on the window. The blinds open will allow the heat to melt the frost and the fan will dry it. It sucks.

Andersen has some good info on sweating and all that stuff, but it pertains to their windows that are super efficient.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 370 times

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Dec 10 9:02 pm

When we installed new windows on our old house we had condensation/frost at colder temps. We had blinds that could open at top and bottom and we cracked the top and left bottom about a third open. This would create a little air flow next to the window (like a radiator). In the coldest days we would have to wipe the frost off the bottom of the windows in the morning.

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed Dec 11 9:52 am

Yeah, it is all over the house, so the fans will be tough. The blinds are open at the top and bottom.

Might have to look into the Humidity thing.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by george » Wed Dec 11 10:43 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Tue Dec 10 8:51 pm

Most wood/laminate flooring needs 35-55% humidity to maintain.
My house was built in 1958. The original oak floors are still here. There was no humidifier in it until I added one after adding a floor. The winter humidity never got above 10-15% except for a brief excursion when someone took a long hot shower or my Mom spent a day making spaghetti sauce. The floors are still fine.

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Wed Dec 11 11:34 am

My nest claims inside humidity is at 32%. I have all original wood floors so now I’m a little worried. I don’t want to not run the fan given the moisture but I don’t want to damage the floors

fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 51 times

Post by fightclub30 » Wed Dec 11 11:58 am

I wouldn't run a humidifier in a newer house (provided it was built properly).

The little bit of residential work I dabble in, we do Rigid out-sulation, taped seams, spray foam, etc. no humidifier needed.

I run an HRV 20-minutes every hour. Some days I will run it at constant low speed. This morning when I woke up, it was 32% in my house. It takes a lot to get it down into the 20%s. When outside air temps are in the negative teens or less for more than a day, we might drop to 26%-28%. We replaced half our windows 2 years ago with brand new Marvin windows. They still have condensation of the edge of the glass. Our older windows have frost and ice, a good 2" up the glass and covering some of the sash.

It is all about dewpoint. If the glass is below the dewpoint in your house, they will show condensation. If the temp of the glass drops low enough, it could be frost/ice. My father's 1950s house needs a humidifier, I had constant nosebleeds in the winter growing up, everything was static-y... No frost or ice on his old windows.

In Canada, they have even gone to triple pane glazing on some of their commercial and residential projects. We have done that on one project, and it was in Northern Minnesota. It just isn't common here yet.

Get some outside fresh air coming in, either an HRV, running a bathroom or kitchen exhaust fan for awhile, etc. I would recommend keeping your furnace fan running (provided you have a variable speed motor) to keep air moving as well. Ceiling fans help to move the warm air as well, box fans can really only push air towards a few windows at once...

When it drops do double digits below zero, you're likely to get condensation/frost unless your humidity is very low, or you have some ultra high performance glazing.

67 indoor temp with 40% RH gives a dew point of 42 degrees. Meaning anything less than 42 degrees will likely have condensation on it.

I keep my house at 64 at night, and with our 32% RH, dew point is 33 degrees. When it is -10 degrees outside, its a good chance my glass is less than 33 degrees. If we could drop our RH to 20%, Dew point drops to 22 degrees. However, I cannot get our RH below 26%, that's the lowest I have ever seen it running the HRV constant with frigid outdoor air.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Wed Dec 11 12:12 pm

I stopped running our air exchanger in our (2017 built) home. I should probably turn it back on. Issue I have is that when it draws the super cold air in, it condenses as soon as it enters the house and the fiberglass insulation around the intake pipe gets saturated with water and starts to drip.

We already had it replaced once (under warranty), but when it's so cold out the air just immediately warms up once it's in the house and condenses. Not sure what else to do about it.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Wed Dec 11 12:17 pm

GG06, doesn't your new house have an air exchanger? The air exchanger is installed in new homes specifically for this reason. If you do have one, check for an adjustment knob. The required humidity level in your home changes as it gets colder outside.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Dec 11 7:19 pm

george wrote:
Wed Dec 11 10:43 am
MNGophers29 wrote:
Tue Dec 10 8:51 pm

Most wood/laminate flooring needs 35-55% humidity to maintain.
My house was built in 1958. The original oak floors are still here. There was no humidifier in it until I added one after adding a floor. The winter humidity never got above 10-15% except for a brief excursion when someone took a long hot shower or my Mom spent a day making spaghetti sauce. The floors are still fine.
I should have specified floating floors. Manufacturers require that range.
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by davescharf » Sat Dec 28 9:45 pm

Has anyone here worked with some type of interior designer for a remodel? We're about to begin remodeling our basement (finally) and we have some ideas of what we want but no clue how to actually implement it. How do they generally charge for their services and will most of them work directly with the contractor that we've hired to do all the work?

We talked to our contractor who's going to do the work and he doesn't care what we pick out because to him the work is all the same. I just don't really know how the dynamics of this work.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 139 times

Post by Bladepuller » Sun Dec 29 5:59 pm

We have.
Her web site is : Balsam Knoll Consulting. The cabin project is ours.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sun Dec 29 6:07 pm

We’re thinking about finishing our basement. Anyone have recommendations on someone to use that draws up the plans and everything?
JWG
[This space for rent]

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Sun Dec 29 6:10 pm

Since a basement usually means not structural changes I've seen people do them them selves on graph paper.
A draftsman would be going the deluxe route.

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 211 times

Post by Karlsson » Sun Dec 29 6:14 pm

Pro tip: Don't put studs two inches away from the cap that needs to be removed to clear out your main line. I'm blown away at how often I see this.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sun Dec 29 6:31 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Sun Dec 29 6:10 pm
Since a basement usually means not structural changes I've seen people do them them selves on graph paper.
A draftsman would be going the deluxe route.
I did that the last two basements. I want to be really lazy on this one and use a contractor.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Sun Dec 29 6:34 pm

A real contractor should be able to draw up something

Kelly Red
Veteran
Been liked: 146 times

Post by Kelly Red » Sun Dec 29 7:05 pm

A designer is often worth the money because they can help prevent mistakes or just offer suggestions of better use of space. A simple basement just being finished off is one thing. A basement where you want an extra bed/bathroom plus family space often needs professional help.
We used Shelly Santine, a local architect, for a major bathroom remodel. She offered ideas for creative space we never would have thought of on our own.
651-490-5454
She did the blueprints and our contractor did the work.
Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let’s go. We’re burning daylight.
-John Wayne

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by streakygopher » Sun Dec 29 11:30 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Tue Dec 10 5:12 am
In our new house, we are noticing there is excessive condensation around the windows, especially given the colder temps now. Wondering what we can do as it looks like a couple spots have some mold damage on the edge of the wood. I briefly read it may have to do with humidity but not sure. They said to adjust that from the basement but anyone have any ideas or thoughts?
Good new windows are gas filled and help reduce condensation. Our house is 25 years old. The windows are still very good, but over the years the gas leaks out of the double pane glass. We get condensation around the edge of some windows, but when it's really cold we just put a fan on the windows and it keeps the condensation from forming. Air to air exchangers help a lot, and I believe they have been code for some time now.

On a side note, it really helps to give the sashes/sills a light sand and apply varnish in the fall.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Dec 30 12:08 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Sun Dec 29 11:30 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:
In our new house, we are noticing there is excessive condensation around the windows, especially given the colder temps now. Wondering what we can do as it looks like a couple spots have some mold damage on the edge of the wood. I briefly read it may have to do with humidity but not sure. They said to adjust that from the basement but anyone have any ideas or thoughts?
Good new windows are gas filled and help reduce condensation. Our house is 25 years old. The windows are still very good, but over the years the gas leaks out of the double pane glass. We get condensation around the edge of some windows, but when it's really cold we just put a fan on the windows and it keeps the condensation from forming. Air to air exchangers help a lot, and I believe they have been code for some time now.

On a side note, it really helps to give the sashes/sills a light sand and apply varnish in the fall.
We had brand new high-quality Pella windows installed in our old house and they had frost the first winter.

The house was built in the 60s and didn’t have a heat exchanger.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 987 times
Been liked: 670 times

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Dec 30 12:36 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Sun Dec 29 5:59 pm
We have.
Wow, that looks awesome! Congratulations on the updated place!
I may need to pick your brain at some point. The boss and I are strongly considering tying to do a teardown/rebuild in the next few years to YE's cabin ;) similar to what you did. From the pictures I saw on your daughter's company FB page I really like what I can see of your floorpan as well as the colors, design, etc. Very similar to the look we envision.

If she's wondering who the goofball is who recently liked/followed her FB page you now know who. :D
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 51 times

Post by fightclub30 » Mon Dec 30 1:39 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Sun Dec 29 7:05 pm
A designer is often worth the money because they can help prevent mistakes or just offer suggestions of better use of space. A simple basement just being finished off is one thing. A basement where you want an extra bed/bathroom plus family space often needs professional help.
We used Shelly Santine, a local architect, for a major bathroom remodel. She offered ideas for creative space we never would have thought of on our own.
651-490-5454
She did the blueprints and our contractor did the work.
Thank you for hiring an Architect. As one myself, I would obviously vouch for you to use one. Going with a builder or contractor, they tend to waste a lot of space, even on small projects. Hiring an architect, while it adds expense, will often result in a smaller, more efficient design that makes better use of the space and likely fits your needs better than a generic box that many builders use. As you stated, creative uses of space.

I also recommended an architect to observe construction on your behalf. It amazes me the corners that contractors and subcontractors cut that do not get caught by building inspectors (who oftentimes do not know what they are inspecting...). They work on your behalf, rather than the contractor who works on his/her own behalf.

You don't need to go David Salmela on it https://www.salmelaarchitect.com/ but you certainly could.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Mon Dec 30 3:09 pm

I have spent my entire adult life in construction
Carpenter by trade but ran many something point something million dollar jobs. Did jobs from the hard bid plan and spec end to open book cost plus. I also have experiance with the construction management model where the owner acts as the GC doing site supervision, prime contract execution (actually doing contractual labor of the P&S) andbeing the site supt. looking out for the owners interest.
Architects skills and abilities are like any other craft, all across the spectrum. We were told in on prejob (We had won the job being the low GC) that, " There will be no need for change orders on this job." I thought moonrider (He had bid it as our PM) was going to die laughing when I remarked, "I guess that means no punch list too."
I had written over 1000 RFI when the A&E, in private, asked if we could only write one a day per AIA division and use a letter for questions in the same division but in a different area. The cost of having incomplete plans ( owner was a gov. body that stopped & started rhe plans trough 3 budget cycles) was north of 25% of the base bid.
I hired an architect for our job. He knew going in he would get zero const admin work. Thus we were a low priority client once we got the 1st set of drawings. He took our vision, digitalized it (that allowed the building pad to be as close as possible to set backs) and tramamitted it to mu surveyor. We did our own interior design and speced exterior finish to comply with budget.
Bottom line for me is the GC, on any project, needs to be strong and honest. No A/E can over come bad workmanship. My biggest issue with architects is that they are generally spending others $$$.
The comment on space use is interesting. Ours usually is designing places north of Brainerd, not on the south end of Mille Lacs. Look at their portfolio and know what you want.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Mon Dec 30 3:22 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Mon Dec 30 12:36 pm
Bladepuller wrote:
Sun Dec 29 5:59 pm
We have.
Wow, that looks awesome! Congratulations on the updated place!
I may need to pick your brain at some point. The boss and I are strongly considering tying to do a teardown/rebuild in the next few years to YE's cabin ;) similar to what you did. From the pictures I saw on your daughter's company FB page I really like what I can see of your floorpan as well as the colors, design, etc. Very similar to the look we envision.

If she's wondering who the goofball is who recently liked/followed her FB page you now know who. :D
Thanks SS.
The place has been all we hoped. We don't live there full time. It was meant as a family place to gather and we had a great Xmas there with both girls families. 8 adults and a 8 yr old makes a full house.
I have not gone to a single game this year but still am a STH. Maybe we meet up before one of the last games?
Going to try to make the last games.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Jan 06 12:40 pm

GD mouse is upstairs in our house! Mostly my OFFICE! We have an agreement, they stay in the basement and we provide yummy bait. This one is violating the world order by boldly running along the baseboard in my office and then disappearing down the radiator hole, only to pop up again and again. I'm not afraid of them it's just startling. He needs to eat his DeCon like a good little mouse and drift away to dreamland. :censored:
-John Wayne

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 366 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by D2D » Mon Jan 06 1:29 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Mon Jan 06 12:40 pm
GD mouse is upstairs in our house! Mostly my OFFICE! We have an agreement, they stay in the basement and we provide yummy bait. This one is violating the world order by boldly running along the baseboard in my office and then disappearing down the radiator hole, only to pop up again and again. I'm not afraid of them it's just startling. He needs to eat his DeCon like a good little mouse and drift away to dreamland. :censored:
So irritating! Have you tried the old fashioned mousetraps with peanut butter? When we've occasionally had one those little traps get 'em every time!
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Jan 06 1:39 pm

D2D wrote:
Mon Jan 06 1:29 pm
Kelly Red wrote:
So irritating! Have you tried the old fashioned mousetraps with peanut butter? When we've occasionally had one those little traps get 'em every time!
Update: He’s been taken care of (said in New Jersey accent while eating red sauce). I do have a few old fashioned traps. Like I said, he violated the house rules so the nuclear option was used. 5 minutes after it was down SNAP.
-John Wayne

5 O.T.
Veteran
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by 5 O.T. » Mon Jan 06 1:58 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Mon Jan 06 1:39 pm
D2D wrote:
Mon Jan 06 1:29 pm
Kelly Red wrote:
Update: He’s been taken care of (said in New Jersey accent while eating red sauce). I do have a few old fashioned traps. Like I said, he violated the house rules so the nuclear option was used. 5 minutes after it was down SNAP.
Might as well reset. There's probably more than one. :x

This bad boy works great but it's a little pricey.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Jan 06 2:04 pm

Good lord, that’s a meat packing stun gun for mice! Personally I prefer DeCon for the few we have, but that certainly looks effective.
-John Wayne

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Mon Jan 06 2:47 pm

Tomcat pellets work better tham De Con in my experiance and I also have the Tomcat throwable blocks.
No domestic critters around to worry about eating a dead rodent or getting into the poison.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 500 times

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Jan 06 4:34 pm

The end of that video - you may no longer have a mouse problem, but here, have some raccoons instead. 😆

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by Orion » Mon Jan 06 7:00 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Jan 06 4:34 pm
The end of that video - you may no longer have a mouse problem, but here, have some raccoons instead. 😆
Coming next year, the mega size perfect for getting rid of raccoons!

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 211 times

Post by Karlsson » Mon Jan 06 7:46 pm

Orion wrote:
Mon Jan 06 7:00 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Jan 06 4:34 pm
Coming next year, the mega size perfect for getting rid of raccoons!
Just skip all of the steps and get one big enough for a black bear.

00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 132 times

Post by 00xtremeninja » Fri Jan 10 1:20 am

So, my DirecTV was out of whack, I go downstairs and reboot the system. Mind you, my basement door is usually non operational because of baby gate. So I decide, well while the kids are sleeping I can refill the salt on my softener. Then I get the brilliant idea, EVERYONE IS SLEEPING, NOW IS THE PERFECT TIME TO FLUSH THE WATER HEATER!

its 1:20 am, i just wanna go to sleep but the damn thing is still draining. Who knew 40 gallons would take so long. Yes i purged pressure to allow air into it to help push the water down faster. What's pissing me off is i have seen 0 sediment come out, which is refreshing to know the tank is clean......but makes this maintenance process a little less satisfying.
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

ex_goldy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by ex_goldy » Fri Jan 10 7:15 am

Wow Goextreme, you are a considerate guy. I just announce no hot water in 30 minutes for a couple hours. For faster water heater draining I unscrew the faucet connector, (*release pressure first*). The fauce is restrictive and sediment gets caught in it. Remove any water heater jacket and make a channel for water to spill into floor drain, screw on an open pipe with hose on it to floor drain to minimize spills. Go to Menards and find a fitting that matches a faucet. I replace the faucet on the water heater because the are cheap and usually leak. It’s still messy but It comes out fast. Wet vac is also a good option to contain the spills. sediment flows out easier and I’m done quicker.. I got a lot of sediment out this way. You can do a flush by allowing water in, open up the water inlet after it’s drained to get out any sediment still inside.
I don’t do this often enough, usually I have lots of sediment. I’ve gotten good at replacing water heaters, one new one in each of my houses.
Mice are the worst, seems like they remember old food sources and keep coming back way after it’s gone. Mine are only in garage (crossed fingers).

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Fri Jan 10 8:21 am

Is flushing a water heater a thing you should be doing regularly?

GPL Podcast Sponsor

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Fri Jan 10 8:52 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Fri Jan 10 8:21 am
Good question. My water heater is 22 years old and has never been flushed in the 16 years we've owned the house. I've been pondering the idea of replacing it since it's probably not very efficient anymore and it takes forever for hot water to reach the far end of the house.

ex_goldy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by ex_goldy » Fri Jan 10 9:14 am

If you have hard water it’s a necessity. I have tons of these little mineral granules in the bottom that take up space, cover the bottom and lower heating efficiency. Also it ruins the tank.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Fri Jan 10 9:22 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Technically it should be done once a year. Even if you have soft water, minerals and scale can build up inside of the tank and your volume will reduce over time and cause problems. You also keep your drain valve clear in the event you need to replace it and need to drain the hot water so you can move the old one out.

1. Ensure you turn the power off, the heating elements will blow if they are run dry.
2. Be careful! That water is hot as hell and you can burn yourself. In my first house, the valve was plugged so I had to unscrew each element until the water came out and I had to try and catch in in a bucket....it was a mess, I got hot water all over and the scale was nuts.

All of this being said, I have never drained a water heater in my house, but I drain my one at the lake every fall.
Doug Woog - 1990

GopherPete
Veteran
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by GopherPete » Fri Jan 10 10:25 am

Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:
Fri Jan 10 8:52 am
gopherguy06 wrote:
Good question. My water heater is 22 years old and has never been flushed in the 16 years we've owned the house. I've been pondering the idea of replacing it since it's probably not very efficient anymore and it takes forever for hot water to reach the far end of the house.
Totally understandable to want to replace for the reasons you note above, but I'd suggest to wait until it leaks if you are comfortable with that idea (assuming there is sufficient drainage available in event of a leak). I am a water heater rep and in my experience, you may be able to get another 10 years potentially out of that heater as it appears your water quality must be fairly good. However, should you replace with a new heater, be prepared to generally get about 6 years max out of it as that seems to be the norm now.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Jan 10 11:05 am

Do any of you replace your water heater anodes?

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Fri Jan 10 11:20 am

Lol, I scared the $h!t out of my wife last night as I was trying as gently as possible to get water back to all of our fixtures.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

GPL Podcast Sponsor

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Fri Jan 10 12:17 pm

GopherPete wrote:
Fri Jan 10 10:25 am
Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:
Fri Jan 10 8:52 am
gopherguy06 wrote:
Totally understandable to want to replace for the reasons you note above, but I'd suggest to wait until it leaks if you are comfortable with that idea (assuming there is sufficient drainage available in event of a leak). I am a water heater rep and in my experience, you may be able to get another 10 years potentially out of that heater as it appears your water quality must be fairly good. However, should you replace with a new heater, be prepared to generally get about 6 years max out of it as that seems to be the norm now.
Hey, many thanks for the response! My water heater sits about 2 feet from the drain on concrete so a leak wouldn't hurt anything. I'll leave well enough alone.

GopherPete
Veteran

Post by GopherPete » Fri Jan 10 12:20 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Jan 10 11:05 am
How old is your heater, and what is your water quality like? Any foul smells or sludge at fixtures?

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Jan 10 12:43 pm

I think it about 8-9 years old. And I do occasionally smell, for lack of better term, a faint fart smell when I turn on water on the top floor..

GopherPete
Veteran

Post by GopherPete » Fri Jan 10 12:51 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Jan 10 12:43 pm
I think it about 8-9 years old. And I do occasionally smell, for lack of better term, a faint fart smell when I turn on water on the top floor..
That is due to the sulfur in the water reacting with magnesium in the anode rod to create the rotten egg smell. Easy solution is to replace the anode rod with a zinc rod or a new product linked below:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/AO-Smith-10 ... Rod-System

I know this works with AOSmith brand heaters, not sure of other brands and I think 50 gallon is max capacity these will work with.

GPL Podcast Sponsor

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Fri Jan 10 2:08 pm

GopherPete, is there any way to get hot water to the farthest faucets of my house any faster?

GopherPete
Veteran

Post by GopherPete » Fri Jan 10 2:38 pm

Do you have a pump installed?

GPL Podcast Sponsor

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Fri Jan 10 2:56 pm

No pump

GopherPete
Veteran

Post by GopherPete » Fri Jan 10 3:01 pm

Pump would probably be the best option short of installing a point of use unit under the sink or something like that.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Fri Jan 10 3:16 pm

Apparently no one wants to come do a Radon test in my house. First company never showed up last week and didn't call me back until about 4 hours after I tried to figure out where they were. I called a different one who's supposed to be here at 3:00 and no answer from them either.

This is why I really hate dealing with contractors.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Sun Jan 12 4:46 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Jan 10 11:05 am
I have done it a few times, generally I do that before replacing the whole heater in the event it is a cheap fix.
Doug Woog - 1990

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Sun Jan 12 5:24 pm

davescharf wrote:
Fri Jan 10 3:16 pm
Apparently no one wants to come do a Radon test in my house. First company never showed up last week and didn't call me back until about 4 hours after I tried to figure out where they were. I called a different one who's supposed to be here at 3:00 and no answer from them either.

We did our own test with a kit provided by our neighborhood, but there are several at Home Depot/Menards. Granted they are not as accurate, but at less then $20 why don’t you try that first. IF the home test comes back with bad or borderline numbers, they recommend you test it again, still less then $20. THEN and only then would I pay several hundred $$.
-John Wayne

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Mon Jan 13 8:42 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Sun Jan 12 5:24 pm
davescharf wrote:
Fri Jan 10 3:16 pm

We did our own test with a kit provided by our neighborhood, but there are several at Home Depot/Menards. Granted they are not as accurate, but at less then $20 why don’t you try that first. IF the home test comes back with bad or borderline numbers, they recommend you test it again, still less then $20. THEN and only then would I pay several hundred $$.
We did and this is our 'second opinion'. The guy did show up about 30 minutes late on Friday. He was supposed to be back at 5 tonight to get his equipment and never came, so I guess I'll have ot call them tomorrow and see when I can be home for them to pick it up

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Mon Jan 13 8:55 pm

davescharf wrote:
Mon Jan 13 8:42 pm
We did and this is our 'second opinion'. The guy did show up about 30 minutes late on Friday. He was supposed to be back at 5 tonight to get his equipment and never came, so I guess I'll have to call them tomorrow and see when I can be home for them to pick it up.
Shows up late...fails to come and get his equipment...which makes me wonder: Can you trust his results?

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Mon Jan 13 9:05 pm

D2D wrote:
Mon Jan 13 8:55 pm
davescharf wrote:
We did and this is our 'second opinion'. The guy did show up about 30 minutes late on Friday. He was supposed to be back at 5 tonight to get his equipment and never came, so I guess I'll have to call them tomorrow and see when I can be home for them to pick it up.
Shows up late...fails to come and get his equipment...which makes me wonder: Can you trust his results?
That thought has crossed my mind

GoldenRube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Post by GoldenRube » Mon Jan 13 9:17 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Do you have an air exchanger and is it on?
No matter how badass you are, if a toddler hands you a ringing toy phone you answer it.

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by Orion » Tue Jan 14 9:26 am

Amazon sells radon detectors for $150-$200 that function much like a CO detector. You leave it plugged in all the time and it will monitor both short term and long term trends and alarm if the long term average is over a certain threshold. They are not as accurate as the equipment used by inspectors, but the point is they are a longer duration test. Radon levels can fluctuate widely over time. My basement goes from short term around 2 pci/L and will occasionally jump over 4. From research I've done it isn't uncommon for the levels to fluctuate which is why the experts recommend the long term carbon tests regardless of short term tests.

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Tue Jan 28 11:53 am

davescharf wrote:
Mon Jan 13 9:05 pm
D2D wrote:
davescharf wrote:
I would have said screw it and left the stuff in a pile outside the garage or by the street. Call the company and say this is where the stuff is located and if the guy or the company cares, thats where they can pick it up. you shouldn't have to inconvenience yourself because the dude is lazy and left his stuff. My hunch is that it is company issued equipment because if he had to pay for his own stuff, he would have been back to get it.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Tue Jan 28 12:30 pm

00xtremeninja wrote:
Tue Jan 28 11:53 am
davescharf wrote:
Mon Jan 13 9:05 pm
D2D wrote:
davescharf wrote:
I would have said screw it and left the stuff in a pile outside the garage or by the street. Call the company and say this is where the stuff is located and if the guy or the company cares, thats where they can pick it up. you shouldn't have to inconvenience yourself because the dude is lazy and left his stuff. My hunch is that it is company issued equipment because if he had to pay for his own stuff, he would have been back to get it.
That had crossed my mind as well. I called and they picked it up right away. They said they had come about an hour before they told me they were coming and no one was home. This is true because I was on my way home from work thinking they were coming an hour later

MATT
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 59 times

Post by MATT » Tue Jan 28 6:23 pm

We just moved and have had a number of deliveries and appointments at our house etc. We have had numerous times where we were given a window, then given a smaller window the night before. My wife and I plan for who can cover what times. Then they call an hour to two early and say “hey, we are at your house.” Haha, ok, have fun waiting there for an hour until I get home. They don’t care, they’re mostly laborers and are happy to nap in their truck for an hour.

We have had most within the window.

On the late side of the spectrum, we only had that once. I got a peloton for my wife for Christmas ( 😂 semi kidding, she asked for it). The smaller window was 3:30-6:30 and they showed up after 9:30!

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Fri Feb 07 4:13 pm

Anyone have a recommendation for a painter or carpet install? Small 1 bedroom and probably 200 sq ft bedroom.

GPL Podcast Sponsor

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Fri Feb 07 5:09 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Fri Feb 07 4:13 pm
Anyone have a recommendation for a painter or carpet install? Small 1 bedroom and probably 200 sq ft bedroom.
Redman's Flooring and Design in Anoka. Ask for Bobbi, she'll take care of you.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Feb 09 8:52 pm

Great thanks! I’ll call tomorrow. Do people recommend doing painting before flooring or the other way? The painter said do that first then floor since those can get drips and damage. But the flooring place I spoke with said paint takes 2-3 days to fully dry and replacing carpet and floor can get dust and particles into the paint

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Sun Feb 09 10:45 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Sun Feb 09 8:52 pm
Great thanks! I’ll call tomorrow. Do people recommend doing painting before flooring or the other way? The painter said do that first then floor since those can get drips and damage. But the flooring place I spoke with said paint takes 2-3 days to fully dry and replacing carpet and floor can get dust and particles into the paint
It takes paint about 2 weeks to fully cure where it is it’s strongest. That being said, paint beforehand and you can touch up when the flooring is done. You will get some scratches and possibly gouges (depending on your layout and carpet style) but it’s easier to touch up than completely paint.
Doug Woog - 1990

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Mon Feb 10 6:25 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Sun Feb 09 10:45 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:
Sun Feb 09 8:52 pm
It takes paint about 2 weeks to fully cure where it is it’s strongest. That being said, paint beforehand and you can touch up when the flooring is done. You will get some scratches and possibly gouges (depending on your layout and carpet style) but it’s easier to touch up than completely paint.
We will definitely paint before flooring and molding go in our basement. I expect quite a bit of touch up because of all the dust but I don’t want paint on any of it

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Feb 17 10:04 am

Anyone know someone who could look at and potentially replace a water heater? Or have a recommendation on who to call?

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Mon Feb 17 1:32 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Mon Feb 17 10:04 am
Anyone know someone who could look at and potentially replace a water heater? Or have a recommendation on who to call?
I got our last one, almost 8 years ago now, from Home Depot. They can arrange for installation.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 323 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Steve MN » Mon Feb 17 6:58 pm

D2D wrote:
Mon Feb 17 1:32 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:
I got our last one, almost 8 years ago now, from Home Depot. They can arrange for installation.
Same here. Worked nicely, even calling in the day before thanksgiving and getting it installed the day after. They try to avoid scheduling installs for holiday weekends, but when I explained that my old one was leaking and not usable, they put me right on the calendar.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

GPL Podcast Sponsor

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Mon Feb 17 7:41 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
I've used Superior Heating and Air in Anoka several times and they do great work.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Mon Feb 17 8:37 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Mon Feb 17 6:58 pm
D2D wrote:
Mon Feb 17 1:32 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:
Same here. Worked nicely, even calling in the day before thanksgiving and getting it installed the day after. They try to avoid scheduling installs for holiday weekends, but when I explained that my old one was leaking and not usable, they put me right on the calendar.
Did ours at HD as well

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Tue Feb 18 8:12 am

Tradesman Mech. out of Isanti if in the north metro.
I stopped by the WPoS garage / cabinet shop a month or so ago. His boiler for the infloor heat would not ignite and I was impressed that Tradesman had a tech there that soon even though Mark had no previous relationship with them.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Tue Feb 25 7:54 pm

Of course when one thing breaks everything does. Fridge stopped working and lights are still on but won’t keep cool. The electrical on the front where the dispenser is isn’t on and that’s where you could control the temp. We just got painting done and they moved the fridge so wondering if something is loose or need a new one. Any ideas? Or who to call to repair?

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Tue Feb 25 8:53 pm

Wish this klutz could help you... All I know is that we're on an incredibly lucky streak of things in our house not only breaking but outliving their expected life expectantcies...kitchen appliances, furnace, air conditioner, water softener, computers, TV's. etc etc...

Of course as soon as I finish typing this things will start to go, one after another in a short time frame, requiring replacement, one after another.... :roll: