Home Ownership

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 210 times

Re: Home Ownership

Post by Karlsson » Mon Feb 11 1:48 pm

Coyote in MPLS proper. Just south of our house. Keeping an extra close eye on the pups.

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Feb 11 4:00 pm

That's a great photo. I live a couple of blocks from Lakewood Cemetery and we know they have coyotes in there. I've heard the yips in the evening, plus this summer I found scat in our backyard. My "city boy" husband found it hilarious I could identify animal poop.
Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let’s go. We’re burning daylight.
-John Wayne

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Mon Feb 11 4:15 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Mon Feb 11 4:00 pm
That's a great photo. I live a couple of blocks from Lakewood Cemetery and we know they have coyotes in there. I've heard the yips in the evening, plus this summer I found scat in our backyard. My "city boy" husband found it hilarious I could identify animal poop.
It is a nice photo. Wish I'd taken it.

This was evidently a couple blocks south of the victory memorial flagpole. Was heading toward Theo Wirth park along the parkway.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 148 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Feb 11 9:09 pm

So question. If you see that in your yard and shoot it, will you get in trouble?
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 364 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by D2D » Mon Feb 11 9:47 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Mon Feb 11 9:09 pm
So question. If you see that in your yard and shoot it, will you get in trouble?
I would imagine so in Minneapolis. Most every city has its own ordinance(s) on the use of firearms, and it depends on what each one says.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Mon Feb 11 9:48 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Probably, but I'm not sure.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 199 times

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Feb 11 9:54 pm

Why even think about shooting an awesome animal that ended up in the wrong neighborhood
Loserville, USA
108 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Feb 11 9:56 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Mon Feb 11 9:54 pm
Why even think about shooting an awesome animal that ended up in the wrong neighborhood
Tell thatbto farmers who lose their livelihood with chickens and whatnot.

Tell that to Fifi who loses her poochie Fido and see the reaction you get.

Coyotes don’t belong in a residential neighborhood. If you want to relocate it, be my guest, but you have an hour to do so.
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 199 times

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Feb 11 9:57 pm

I'm not qualified to do that but someone else is.
Loserville, USA
108 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Mon Feb 11 10:11 pm

I'd never shoot one, but I'm not a farmer and I have two dogs that are the same size as a coyote. I'll still be watching a bit closer in case the thing is stupid.

FWIW, the person that took the photo reported it to animal control. They said "Give it some room, let it go on its way."

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by streakygopher » Mon Feb 11 11:18 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Yes, discharging firearms in Minneapolis and most every municipality is illegal. Even in the country, discharging firearms has limitations regarding shooting around rights-of-way, public property, man-made structures etc.

Oh, and coyotes are vermin. Here's a pic I got of two in my back yard (thanks to 5 OT for the help):

Last edited by streakygopher on Tue Feb 12 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by george » Tue Feb 12 9:58 am

Whelp, I have a frozen drain line. My gutters on the front of my house run to a downspout that is land locked within my sidewalk. So years ago I ran a drain line under the walk and have a snowmelt cable in the line. For the first time in 15? years it's backed up. May be frozen out in the yard where the cable ends or the melt load has just overloaded the drain. This'll be fun to fix. Not looking forward to trying to dig up my front yard right now.

fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 51 times

Post by fightclub30 » Tue Feb 12 3:47 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Mon Feb 11 9:48 pm
MNGophers29 wrote:
Probably, but I'm not sure.
Being that I received a fine for firing a paintball gun from my deck at a coyote, I am going to guess discharging an actual firearm is going to get you in a lot more trouble than that...

The fine was for firing the "weapon", I was also given a warning for harassing the wildlife or something to that effect. :roll:

Our neighbors had warned us about it, so when I let our 25lb dog out I had it ready to go and sure enough needed it. One of my neighbors called the cops... (it was about 10:30pm and the marker isn't exactly quiet...) I don't even think I hit it, I mainly fire several shots at it's feet to scare it away - mission accomplished BTW.

Jane Fonda
Veteran
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Jane Fonda » Wed Feb 13 8:31 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Coyotes should be shot, when they are approaching people and populated areas. If they are encroaching on people it means 2 things, they're overpopulated where they should be, and are being pushed out, or they're sick. Either way, they should be shot. Can't really shoot them yourself when they're in the middle of Minneapolis, but animal control should be dealing with them.

On the farm, we shoot them whenever we see them, and have coyote hunters come out whenever we can. Same for wolves, and big cats (these are around, but much, much more rare than coyotes). When there are too many of these animals in the area, they start taking calves in the spring, and we can't have that.

Jane Fonda
Veteran
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Jane Fonda » Wed Feb 13 8:41 am

Home renovations are moving fast now. Crunch time. Currently, we're working on a spare bedroom and our master bath.

Master bath is completely tiled, both the tub surround and the floor. Paint is done, needs a little touching up after tiling, but it isn't too bad. WPOS is going to starting the vanity and linen closet insert soon, and I have the cedar planking for the ceiling, and need to apply some finish to it, and install soon (hopefully as soon as this weekend). Have a door purchased. Only items left after that will be a granite (or possibly quartz or marble) vanity top, shitter, trim, and installing fixtures. Getting there!

For the spare bedroom, it is painted, trim is all pulled out. I'm pulling the old carpet tonight. Have carpet being installed Friday. Stained new trim and door at WPOS's last night, and he is going to lacquer the trim and door tomorrow. Hope to get trim and door installed this weekend, and then it will be done, and can start moving the new furniture into it, that is currently filling up our other spare bedroom. Also, on Friday, getting our upstairs living room carpets professionally cleaned, since they're disgusting (damn dog).

It has been a very productive month so far, and expensive. But, it feels good to make some progress.

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Thu Feb 14 6:04 am

So, furnace got red tagged yesterday. It had been tripping off on a safety, that turned out to be a plugged combustion intake (some little critter). But the heat exchanger is cracked so they had to shut it down, turn off the gas and take a picture. I had to turn the gas back on and restart it. It's 20 years old, so past the expected useful life. Still need to get it replaced. :(

dryfly
Veteran
Has liked: 3 times

Post by dryfly » Fri Feb 15 8:08 pm

george wrote:
Thu Feb 14 6:04 am
So, furnace got red tagged yesterday. It had been tripping off on a safety, that turned out to be a plugged combustion intake (some little critter). But the heat exchanger is cracked so they had to shut it down, turn off the gas and take a picture. I had to turn the gas back on and restart it. It's 20 years old, so past the expected useful life. Still need to get it replaced. :(
That sucks. I am amazed my furnace heat ex hadn’t failed. The unit is like 60 some years old. I get it inspected occasionally and it’s become a joke at the HVAC company I work with. It might outlive all of us old guys.

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Sat Feb 16 9:01 am

dryfly wrote:
Fri Feb 15 8:08 pm
george wrote:
Thu Feb 14 6:04 am
That sucks. I am amazed my furnace heat ex hadn’t failed. The unit is like 60 some years old. I get it inspected occasionally and it’s become a joke at the HVAC company I work with. It might outlive all of us old guys.
The old heat exchangers were built waaaay differently than the new, high efficiency, units. Mine was made in 1999, fairly early generation condensing style. It actually has a lifetime warranty on the HX, but given the age of the furnace, it's pretty silly to spend on the labor to replace the HX. It's still going to need a new blower motor, ignitor and flame sensor soon. May as well bite the bullet and replace the whole thing now. Unless I want to rebuild everything myself. Which I may consider.

JC65
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by JC65 » Sat Feb 16 10:06 am

Jane Fonda wrote:
Wed Feb 13 8:31 am
Bonin21 wrote:
Coyotes should be shot, when they are approaching people and populated areas. If they are encroaching on people it means 2 things, they're overpopulated where they should be, and are being pushed out, or they're sick. Either way, they should be shot. Can't really shoot them yourself when they're in the middle of Minneapolis, but animal control should be dealing with them.

On the farm, we shoot them whenever we see them, and have coyote hunters come out whenever we can. Same for wolves, and big cats (these are around, but much, much more rare than coyotes). When there are too many of these animals in the area, they start taking calves in the spring, and we can't have that.
KIlling adult coyotes makes more coyotes.

https://www.outdoornews.com/2011/12/14/ ... e-coyotes/
The death of even one coyote in a pack can trigger breeding in
adults that normally defer to mating by an alpha male and female
pair, said Gina Farr of Project Coyote.

Bash Brother
Veteran

Post by Bash Brother » Wed Feb 20 11:28 pm

I just bought a house and need all the advice I can get. Its my first so this is all new to me. Appreciate any help you can give.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 370 times

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Feb 21 5:33 am

Bash Brother wrote:
Wed Feb 20 11:28 pm
I just bought a house and need all the advice I can get. Its my first so this is all new to me. Appreciate any help you can give.
Unless you have all new appliances, Centerpoint Home Service Plus is your friend.

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by Handyman » Thu Feb 21 8:43 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Feb 21 5:33 am
Bash Brother wrote:
Unless you have all new appliances, Centerpoint Home Service Plus is your friend.
This times a million!
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Thu Feb 21 12:42 pm

Bash Brother wrote:
I guess my piece of advice would be do an improvement project every year. Make a list, prioritize and start knocking them off. We have an old house, I mean over 100 years old, it is a constant issue. We've alternated between something boring, like new windows, and something nice like heated floors in our bathroom and kitchen. Boring, new concrete basement floor. Nice, gas fireplace. But every year it's been something. And don't be afraid to beak it down into manageable steps, we did the windows over 3 years, one floor at a time because of expense, but each year we did it.
-John Wayne

WPoSforever
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 24 times

Post by WPoSforever » Thu Feb 21 1:23 pm

Bash Brother wrote:
When a project come up around the house, use that as an excuse to buy a tool instead of renting/borrowing (within reason). It is a good way to accumulate the tools you need for things around the house.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Thu Feb 21 1:37 pm

WPoSforever wrote:
Thu Feb 21 1:23 pm
Bash Brother wrote:
When a project come up around the house, use that as an excuse to buy a tool instead of renting/borrowing (within reason). It is a good way to accumulate the tools you need for things around the house.
HA!! How many times have I heard my husband say that old line. But it's true :wink: Menards/Home Depot is like ToysRUs for men. After many years of marriage we've settled into our "repair" lanes. I'm good at measuring and precision, and lord help me he'll NEVER pick a paint color (colorblindness he refuses to accept) but he's a wiz at figuring out the problem and the steps needed to fix it.
-John Wayne

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Thu Feb 21 1:44 pm

I agree with what has been said above.
Make sure you do the stupid easy stuff like replacing furnace filters.
If you need new appliances, Black Friday is a good time to buy.
Get a roof rake for winter. Ice damns suck

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Feb 21 2:01 pm

NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Thu Feb 21 1:44 pm
My parents had an awful ice dam 5 or 6 years ago. They probably had over a foot of ice and it eventually leaked through the roof and stained their ceiling. It cost them a fortune to have the dam steamed off the roof.

After that, my dad installed heater wires on the roof to melt the ice dams and hasn't had an issue since. MUCH less work too.

fightclub30
Golden
Golden

Post by fightclub30 » Thu Feb 21 2:08 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Feb 21 2:01 pm
NYC Gopher fan wrote:
My parents had an awful ice dam 5 or 6 years ago. They probably had over a foot of ice and it eventually leaked through the roof and stained their ceiling. It cost them a fortune to have the dam steamed off the roof.

After that, my dad installed heater wires on the roof to melt the ice dams and hasn't had an issue since. MUCH less work too.
Ice Dams are a symptom, not the problem. You can spend a fortune year over year addressing the symptom and never fix the problem.

A 1" spray-foam "lift" in your attic with 14"-18" of cellulose on top likely fixes the problem. We did it to our house for about $2,400. I hear people are paying $500 per hour to "steam" their roofs...

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Feb 21 2:41 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Thu Feb 21 2:08 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
NYC Gopher fan wrote:

Ice Dams are a symptom, not the problem. You can spend a fortune year over year addressing the symptom and never fix the problem.

A 1" spray-foam "lift" in your attic with 14"-18" of cellulose on top likely fixes the problem. We did it to our house for about $2,400. I hear people are paying $500 per hour to "steam" their roofs...
Assuming your attic space is accessible, this would be the preferred option. Not all cold spaces are accessible.

fightclub30
Golden
Golden

Post by fightclub30 » Thu Feb 21 3:07 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Feb 21 2:41 pm
fightclub30 wrote:
Thu Feb 21 2:08 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
NYC Gopher fan wrote:

Assuming your attic space is accessible, this would be the preferred option. Not all cold spaces are accessible.
You are correct. Vaulted ceilings and other things create problems. We didn't build buildings very well for a long time. There is a reason for phrases like "builder grade".

The only way homes are still built that way is an exemption in the energy code. That exemption will be gone next code cycle, but they builders are pushing to keep it. "Let's keep building crappy homes!!!"

5 O.T.
Veteran
Been liked: 65 times

Post by 5 O.T. » Thu Feb 21 3:37 pm

Bash Brother wrote:
Introduce yourself to your new neighbors.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Feb 21 3:38 pm

Don’t buy a house (I say that only half serious). Buy a lake home instead. I am on my 7th house right now and bought a lake home 3 years ago. Between kids’ activities and going to the lake and working around there, I want to live in a condo. If it wasn’t for my woodshop that I custom built when I moved in, my house would have been for sale 2 years ago.
Doug Woog - 1990

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Thu Feb 21 3:54 pm

5 O.T. wrote:
Thu Feb 21 3:37 pm
Bash Brother wrote:
Excellent advice :dup:
You may live next to them for years, be friendly.

And apparently don't blow your snow on their yard :lol:
-John Wayne

Bash Brother
Veteran

Post by Bash Brother » Fri Feb 22 3:28 pm

5 O.T. wrote:
Bash Brother wrote:
I thought about that but it occurred to me that they could be people that post on this board so I'd better not :wink:

Bash Brother
Veteran

Post by Bash Brother » Fri Feb 22 3:32 pm

I truly appreciate all the advice. Unfortunately, some of it doesn't apply. All appliances are less than 4 years old and I have vaulted ceilings. Roof rake it is.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Fri Feb 22 4:15 pm

Bash Brother wrote:
Fri Feb 22 3:28 pm
5 O.T. wrote:
Bash Brother wrote:
I thought about that but it occurred to me that they could be people that post on this board so I'd better not :wink:
I don't know...judging by other forum topics they could be sitting on a stash of really good beer! Take a chance :good2:
-John Wayne

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 126 times

Post by Bigbeer » Fri Feb 22 5:58 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Fri Feb 22 4:15 pm
Bash Brother wrote:
Fri Feb 22 3:28 pm
5 O.T. wrote:
Bash Brother wrote:
I don't know...judging by other forum topics they could be sitting on a stash of really good beer! Take a chance :good2:
Not worth the risk
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Sun Feb 24 10:29 am

Bash Brother wrote:
Fri Feb 22 3:32 pm
I truly appreciate all the advice. Unfortunately, some of it doesn't apply. All appliances are less than 4 years old and I have vaulted ceilings. Roof rake it is.
You might consider the Avalanche. It costs more but since it rolls on wheels on the roof it might do less damage to shingles then a rake. I'm considering one as I have snowmelt cables to avoid.

And now I have a mouse who can eat the peanut butter off the trap without triggering it. :roll: I have to try putting some traps together to see if one will get him.

Composer
Veteran
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Composer » Sun Feb 24 10:41 am

Don’t use the traps with plastic triggers. Put very little PB on the trigger, put a little more under the trigger. Most I catch clean the trigger off but get caught going under it.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by streakygopher » Sun Feb 24 11:57 am

5 O.T. wrote:
Bash Brother wrote:
Great suggestion.

We have a new neighbor who left a mess on the side of their garage in our field of view after they moved in, which really violated the spirit of the neighborhood. After a few weeks, my wife went over with a plate of cookies to introduce herself. Through a little conversation with the woman of the house about the neighborhood she maneuvered into asking if it would be okay if they moved their stuff from the side of the garage. It was gone the next day. Not everyone shares the same "good neighbor" standards, but a simple suggestion delivered with a bit of sugar set the tone for open communication.

As for house suggestions, one of my biggies is paint, varnish and caulk - especially around flashing and windows. Simple to do, cheap and can save potentially thousands. I clean my window cranks each fall and lightly sand and re-varnish the sills if needed. I also check the caulk around the house - windows, doors, trim - each year. Ten bucks in caulk can prevent water intrusion and severe damage. Same with paint. When we moved into the house, I repainted all the trim with the most expensive outdoor paint I could buy, repairing and caulking as I went along.

Next up: Gutters. Better make sure they're level and drain properly. Had significant roof damage and leak once because one of my gutters drained water the wrong way and kept feeding water into the shingles.

dryfly
Veteran
Has liked: 3 times

Post by dryfly » Sun Feb 24 8:03 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Sun Feb 24 11:57 am
5 O.T. wrote:
Bash Brother wrote:
Great suggestion.

We have a new neighbor who left a mess on the side of their garage in our field of view after they moved in, which really violated the spirit of the neighborhood. After a few weeks, my wife went over with a plate of cookies to introduce herself. Through a little conversation with the woman of the house about the neighborhood she maneuvered into asking if it would be okay if they moved their stuff from the side of the garage. It was gone the next day. Not everyone shares the same "good neighbor" standards, but a simple suggestion delivered with a bit of sugar set the tone for open communication.

As for house suggestions, one of my biggies is paint, varnish and caulk - especially around flashing and windows. Simple to do, cheap and can save potentially thousands. I clean my window cranks each fall and lightly sand and re-varnish the sills if needed. I also check the caulk around the house - windows, doors, trim - each year. Ten bucks in caulk can prevent water intrusion and severe damage. Same with paint. When we moved into the house, I repainted all the trim with the most expensive outdoor paint I could buy, repairing and caulking as I went along.

Next up: Gutters. Better make sure they're level and drain properly. Had significant roof damage and leak once because one of my gutters drained water the wrong way and kept feeding water into the shingles.
Gutters is a good point. Either they need to be near perfect OR get rid of them entirely. I have parts of my roof with gutters (no down spouts - shoot right out on to the yard) and much of roof without (but rocks to break up water falling off roof).

I removed gutters because ice dam risk was too high / never had another ice dam after they were removed but have to be really be careful about water flow around the house after heavy summer thunderstorms.

I hate gutters. Especially this time of year - full of ice.

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Sun Feb 24 9:15 pm

What are the large noises coming from my roof? Ice and snow?
I’ve roof raked the first door or so or the roof except where is near the power lines. I don’t appear to have any big dams but some ice buildup along gutters.
Tonight I started hearing loud cracks/booms and they sound like they are coming from the roof

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Feb 24 9:45 pm

NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Sun Feb 24 9:15 pm
What are the large noises coming from my roof? Ice and snow?
I’ve roof raked the first door or so or the roof except where is near the power lines. I don’t appear to have any big dams but some ice buildup along gutters.
Tonight I started hearing loud cracks/booms and they sound like they are coming from the roof
Today it’s possible shifting of the roof due to pressure from high winds. If it continues after wind settles, then I’d start to think of other things.

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Mon Feb 25 6:27 am

Composer wrote:
Sun Feb 24 10:41 am
Don’t use the traps with plastic triggers. Put very little PB on the trigger, put a little more under the trigger. Most I catch clean the trigger off but get caught going under it.
Got the little bastard! Put PB on and under trigger and two traps next to each other. He's dead now.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 299 times

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Feb 25 6:37 am

george wrote:
Mon Feb 25 6:27 am
Composer wrote:
Got the little bastard! Put PB on and under trigger and two traps next to each other. He's dead now.
Thoughts and prayers

skiier32
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by skiier32 » Mon Feb 25 1:34 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Mon Feb 25 6:37 am
george wrote:
Mon Feb 25 6:27 am
Composer wrote:
Thoughts and prayers
:rotflmao:

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Jun 17 7:28 pm

What is best way to install security cameras? Hardwire? Wireless? Through a security company? Or buy system and have electrician install?

Curious about cloud vs hard drive. I want more than a Ring doorbell.

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by HockeyBum » Fri Aug 09 11:59 am

How easy/difficult/time consuming is it to stain a cedar fence? I have about 95 feet of grayed weathered out 6' cedar fence (actually, double that length because I'd have to stain both sides). Is this a project that an amateur like me could do in a day or two and have it look nice, or is it something that is worth hiring out? Is one coat adequate, or are multiple coats required?

I freaking hate doing anything resembling painting, but I also hate paying for services that most people should be able to do themselves.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Sun Aug 25 1:14 pm

Smelled something absolutely terrible just after I heard my mower pick something up. I know what this means, and despite my best efforts I investigated. One less mouse in the world. Flies have descended upon what's left of the remains and the mower en masse.

What I really don't like is where it happened. Right up against the house. Time to dust off the traps and get more cheap peanut butter.

00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by 00xtremeninja » Mon Aug 26 1:30 am

HockeyBum wrote:
Fri Aug 09 11:59 am
How easy/difficult/time consuming is it to stain a cedar fence? I have about 95 feet of grayed weathered out 6' cedar fence (actually, double that length because I'd have to stain both sides). Is this a project that an amateur like me could do in a day or two and have it look nice, or is it something that is worth hiring out? Is one coat adequate, or are multiple coats required?

I freaking hate doing anything resembling painting, but I also hate paying for services that most people should be able to do themselves.
You could knock it out in a weekend. If anything I'd rent a sprayer and do it quick and easy. You will want to pressure wash it too. My neighbors did their fence, way more than what youd have to do, in a weekend with a sprayer.
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Aug 29 6:13 pm

00xtremeninja wrote:
Mon Aug 26 1:30 am
HockeyBum wrote:

You could knock it out in a weekend. If anything I'd rent a sprayer and do it quick and easy. You will want to pressure wash it too. My neighbors did their fence, way more than what youd have to do, in a weekend with a sprayer.
I have been avoiding responding to this question, mostly because there are several ways to skin a cat. First, there are a large contingent of folks that recommend against pressure washing any wood products. It raises the grain of the wood and you get a fuzzy texture when it dries. My Dad swears by doing it and gets good results (still fuzzy).

If it were my fence that was grayed out cedar, I would get a couple jugs of the Behr Wood Restorer concentrate (it will make 10 gallons) and a garden sprayer and spray the entire fence with it, let it sit for a bit and the wash it off with a hose (not pressure) then I would get a stain to put on it that you can spray through the same sprayer (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flood-5-gal ... /206265821). You may have to back brush some areas, but not much.

Doing it this way, you would for sure be done the first day before noon and the second day by 2-3pm.
Doug Woog - 1990

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Aug 29 7:29 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Thu Aug 29 6:13 pm
00xtremeninja wrote:
HockeyBum wrote:

I have been avoiding responding to this question, mostly because there are several ways to skin a cat. First, there are a large contingent of folks that recommend against pressure washing any wood products. It raises the grain of the wood and you get a fuzzy texture when it dries. My Dad swears by doing it and gets good results (still fuzzy).

If it were my fence that was grayed out cedar, I would get a couple jugs of the Behr Wood Restorer concentrate (it will make 10 gallons) and a garden sprayer and spray the entire fence with it, let it sit for a bit and the wash it off with a hose (not pressure) then I would get a stain to put on it that you can spray through the same sprayer (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flood-5-gal ... /206265821). You may have to back brush some areas, but not much.

Doing it this way, you would for sure be done the first day before noon and the second day by 2-3pm.
Bleach works the same and is cheap.

Or pressure wash with a light sand to get rid of the fuzzies. Minimal work.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Aug 29 7:57 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Aug 29 7:29 pm
MNGophers29 wrote:
Thu Aug 29 6:13 pm
00xtremeninja wrote:
HockeyBum wrote:

Bleach works the same and is cheap.

Or pressure wash with a light sand to get rid of the fuzzies. Minimal work.
Bleach does, but isn’t as good for the environment (not that either is great)

If it is cedar, chances are it is rough dawn and sanding won’t work.

I get it though, this is why I didn’t want to respond...
Doug Woog - 1990

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by davescharf » Sun Sep 15 4:09 pm

Can anyone recommend a professional basement waterproofing company? Our sump failed a couple months ago and we’ve noticed water coming in from under the house in a spot. We want to get the remodel going but obviously can’t until we figure out how to fix the water
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Sun Sep 15 4:21 pm

I’ve always heard that Standard Water is the best, they’re still really booked out after the bonkers spring

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by Orion » Sun Sep 15 5:51 pm

NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Sun Sep 15 4:21 pm
I’ve always heard that Standard Water is the best, they’re still really booked out after the bonkers spring
I've heard the same thing. Call them and get in their list.

I'm assuming you replaced the sump by now?

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun Sep 15 5:56 pm

Orion wrote:
Sun Sep 15 5:51 pm
NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Sun Sep 15 4:21 pm
I've heard the same thing. Call them and get in their list.

I'm assuming you replaced the sump by now?
Yes a we replaced the Sump right away because we had so much water after one of the earlier heavy rainfalls.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 321 times

Post by Beauner » Mon Sep 16 7:39 am

davescharf wrote:
Sun Sep 15 4:09 pm
Can anyone recommend a professional basement waterproofing company? Our sump failed a couple months ago and we’ve noticed water coming in from under the house in a spot. We want to get the remodel going but obviously can’t until we figure out how to fix the water
My folks are having some people from Safe Basement over this week to try to waterproof their basement, as they got some more water leaking in after the heavy rains early in the week. I'll report back with the details.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Sun Nov 10 6:53 pm

So my sump is still running, every 19 mins in fact it dumps a decent amount of water.
Issue is, Standard told me to disconnect the flex hose I use to carry all that water away from my foundation when it’s below freezing. So I did, and now it’s dumping water right next to my foundation every 18 minutes. That can’t be good. Think I’ll call them tomorrow but they told me last year they don’t recommend any hose or pipe to carry water away in winter for risk of freezing

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 139 times

Post by Bladepuller » Sun Nov 10 7:03 pm

A surge of moving water should not freeze. I'd either support the hose or use a piece of PVC pipe in place of the hose. Maybe run the hose inside pipe to support the hose?
If you are dealing with a much smaller smount of H2O (boiler or furnace condensate drain) I have seen them freeze in a sanitary line due to the trickle amount of H2O.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun Nov 10 7:06 pm

NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Sun Nov 10 6:53 pm
So my sump is still running, every 19 mins in fact it dumps a decent amount of water.
Issue is, Standard told me to disconnect the flex hose I use to carry all that water away from my foundation when it’s below freezing. So I did, and now it’s dumping water right next to my foundation every 18 minutes. That can’t be good. Think I’ll call them tomorrow but they told me last year they don’t recommend any hose or pipe to carry water away in winter for risk of freezing
I have a large corrugated hose I connect in winter since the underground one freezes. Never have had a problem with that freezing

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Sun Nov 10 9:21 pm

davescharf wrote:
Sun Nov 10 7:06 pm
NYC Gopher fan wrote:
I have a large corrugated hose I connect in winter since the underground one freezes. Never have had a problem with that freezing
What do you mean by large? And how many feet is it?
I have a corrugated hose that I use April- October but it’s very long- has to carry the water across back of house, up the side yard to the front - very very long hose and I’m thinking maybe like a 15 foot one for winter?

GO4
Rookie
Has liked: 1 time

Post by GO4 » Mon Nov 11 12:02 pm

NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Sun Nov 10 9:21 pm
davescharf wrote:
NYC Gopher fan wrote:
I have a corrugated hose that I use April- October but it’s very long- has to carry the water across back of house, up the side yard to the front - very very long hose and I’m thinking maybe like a 15 foot one for winter?
You could try rigging up something to leave an air gap between the output on the house and the line running away from your house. If your line freezes it will just spill over and not the line to your pump. Something like this...Image

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Mon Nov 11 12:49 pm

Standard water just called me. He wants me to use a bigger diameter hose to carry water away so it won’t freeze. I may just pop on a gutter extension. It should stop soon- think a lot of this is water recycling down right now

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Mon Nov 11 5:30 pm

NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Sun Nov 10 9:21 pm
davescharf wrote:
NYC Gopher fan wrote:
It’s a 2” hose I put over the end of my 1.5 in PVC that exits the house. The hose itself is maybe 20 feet

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Nov 13 6:30 pm

Water is freezing solid in 20 minutes right now?
Doug Woog - 1990

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Mon Dec 02 6:06 pm

I did find a solution with the large corrugated hose, so that’s good.

I know I posted here about the ice dams last winter. I’m happy to report that after spending 2k getting new insulation blown into attic amd sealing byways, that my house got a 87 score on my energy audit and there are no icicles across front of my house! Still a stretch in the back where there are some, but huge improvement.

I’ve also learned to love living in 63 degrees, thanks to my Nest. Now if my fireplace is on amd it approaches 70, I feel like I need to open a window.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Dec 02 7:46 pm

NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Mon Dec 02 6:06 pm

I know I posted here about the ice dams last winter. I’m happy to report that after spending 2k getting new insulation blown into attic amd sealing byways, that my house got a 87 score on my energy audit and there are no icicles across front of my house! Still a stretch in the back where there are some, but huge improvement.

I’ve also learned to love living in 63 degrees, thanks to my Nest. Now if my fireplace is on amd it approaches 70, I feel like I need to open a window.
63 is what my thermostat is set at during winter. I'd guess my basement is actually probably closer to 55 than 63 but I've got a lap dog and blankets in the basement where I spend most of my time.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sat Dec 07 3:06 pm

I just spent the last two hours removing half the shelving in my utility room so they can come put proper drain tile in and stop the water coming up in from below. I might have to find where the previous owner lives and thank him for securing it all with nails instead of screws, making it way harder than it needed to be.

The other half will be just as painful.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 126 times

Post by Bigbeer » Sat Dec 07 5:07 pm

Beauner wrote:
Mon Dec 02 7:46 pm
NYC Gopher fan wrote:

63 is what my thermostat is set at during winter. I'd guess my basement is actually probably closer to 55 than 63 but I've got a lap dog and blankets in the basement where I spend most of my time.
55...?...really?
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Dec 07 9:10 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Sat Dec 07 5:07 pm
Beauner wrote:
NYC Gopher fan wrote:

55...?...really?
In the winter yeah. My patio door is down here so when it gets really cold it drops down.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Dec 07 9:46 pm

Beauner wrote:
Sat Dec 07 9:10 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
Beauner wrote:
NYC Gopher fan wrote:

55...?...really?
In the winter yeah. My patio door is down here so when it gets really cold it drops down.
Put a good set of accordion blinds on that door to save on heating bills. They’ll pay for themselves.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Dec 07 10:50 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Dec 07 9:46 pm
Beauner wrote:
Sat Dec 07 9:10 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
Beauner wrote:
NYC Gopher fan wrote:

55...?...really?
Put a good set of accordion blinds on that door to save on heating bills. They’ll pay for themselves.
I've got some really nice ones on it. But its still a basement.

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Tue Dec 10 5:12 am

In our new house, we are noticing there is excessive condensation around the windows, especially given the colder temps now. Wondering what we can do as it looks like a couple spots have some mold damage on the edge of the wood. I briefly read it may have to do with humidity but not sure. They said to adjust that from the basement but anyone have any ideas or thoughts?

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Tue Dec 10 7:10 am

I literally just dealt with that. Condensation on windows. Frost on attic roof.
Solution was continuous running fan installed in bathroom. Not cheap, but worked immediately. Has condensation sensor so it just works when needed

And after I write this, I notice I have actual frost build up on windows today. First day since installation it’s happened. Not sure if these cold temps are cause or not- Nest says humidity is down to 34% so that could be why fan isn’t running