Consumer Research

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 83 times

Re: Consumer Research

Post by fightclub30 » Thu Apr 22 10:30 am

davescharf wrote:
Wed Apr 21 10:21 pm
Are Zagg screens worth the money for your newer mobile devices. I just bought an iPhone 12 Pro and am wondering if they’re worth the cost now that they seem to be $50
Now that I have small kids, we switched to "disposable" phones. $200ish Motorolas. No need for $40+/month insurance, no need for screen protectors or cases. In 4 years, we've only had one phone get damaged even. They last just as long, if not longer, and I have never missed out on the features of the newest, fastest, most whatever-est phone.

When we started paying for daycare we immediately had to look at places to cut costs. $80/month insurance on two $800+ phones was a big one. In fact, now looking back, the phone insurance made no sense. I never used it, and essentially paid for my phone twice (and then some) over 2 years. It's even a worse proposition that one of those Extended Vehicle Warranties.

My wife does like the scratch protection from the $8 for a 3-pack screens she buys off amazon for when she throws her phone in her purse.

EDIT: Plus you need to save for some windows... :poke:

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 440 times
Been liked: 599 times

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Apr 22 11:29 am

Otterbox. Haven’t broken a phone. Yet.

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 211 times

Post by Karlsson » Thu Apr 22 12:55 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Apr 22 11:29 am
That's what I used to have, they do work well. Have unicorn beetles on the last few. Work great as well. I remove the plastic screen cover that comes with them and put the sticky glass ones on instead. Case still fits around it fine.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 438 times

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Apr 22 1:57 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
It was a good run.

Aren't Otterboxes the giant plastic things that look like suitcases? ---> Won't fit into pockets.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Apr 22 3:03 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Apr 22 1:57 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
It was a good run.

Aren't Otterboxes the giant plastic things that look like suitcases? ---> Won't fit into pockets.
Yep! Big, bulky, and unfashionable. Always know which phone is mine. :mrgreen:

Best part is my old Otterbox was falling apart after three years and I was able to get a new one for just shipping with no questions asked.
With the size of phones these days, they don’t fit well in pockets of average sized people well anyways do they?! Having a purse makes it a non-issue for me to use a bulky protector.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Apr 22 3:16 pm

I’ve never seen you with a purse.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Apr 22 5:16 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Apr 22 3:16 pm
I use an over the shoulder style bag that’s less purse-y. Because I’m not a “purse” gal in the traditional sense. 😆

gopheritall
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by gopheritall » Thu Apr 22 5:49 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Apr 22 5:16 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Apr 22 3:16 pm
I use an over the shoulder style bag that’s less purse-y. Because I’m not a “purse” gal in the traditional sense. 😆
My wife does the same, for the same reason

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Orion » Thu Apr 22 7:50 pm

I just use an European carryall.

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 213 times

Post by davescharf » Thu Apr 22 9:02 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Apr 22 1:57 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
It was a good run.

I had an Otterbox for my old phone for awhile and the bulk made me switch to a Speck thin case. I ordered a new thin case phone with the MagSafe attachment for my new phone. My wife and daughter both got them but that’s because they’ll carry them in a backpack or purse.

I’m not buying any insurance policy on any of our phones. My wife talked about one for because we have a two year old but he’s generally careful and I think with a case it will be fine.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Thu Apr 22 9:04 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Thu Apr 22 10:30 am
davescharf wrote:
Wed Apr 21 10:21 pm
Are Zagg screens worth the money for your newer mobile devices. I just bought an iPhone 12 Pro and am wondering if they’re worth the cost now that they seem to be $50
Now that I have small kids, we switched to "disposable" phones. $200ish Motorolas. No need for $40+/month insurance, no need for screen protectors or cases. In 4 years, we've only had one phone get damaged even. They last just as long, if not longer, and I have never missed out on the features of the newest, fastest, most whatever-est phone.

When we started paying for daycare we immediately had to look at places to cut costs. $80/month insurance on two $800+ phones was a big one. In fact, now looking back, the phone insurance made no sense. I never used it, and essentially paid for my phone twice (and then some) over 2 years. It's even a worse proposition that one of those Extended Vehicle Warranties.

My wife does like the scratch protection from the $8 for a 3-pack screens she buys off amazon for when she throws her phone in her purse.

EDIT: Plus you need to save for some windows... :poke:
It’s the scratch protection that I’m more interested in the screen protector for.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 295 times
Been liked: 341 times

Post by The Rube » Thu Apr 22 9:38 pm

Orion wrote:
Thu Apr 22 7:50 pm
I think they are referred to as "Manbags." ;)
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Apr 22 9:52 pm

The Rube wrote:
Thu Apr 22 9:38 pm
Orion wrote:
It’s a murse.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 465 times
Been liked: 421 times

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Apr 23 4:28 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Apr 22 9:52 pm
The Rube wrote:
Thu Apr 22 9:38 pm
Orion wrote:
It’s a murse.
Dammit beat me to it. :lol:
Currently under construction.

fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 83 times

Post by fightclub30 » Tue May 11 10:43 pm

Has anyone on here purchased any of the online mattresses before? Specifically Helix or Nolah?

Looking at getting a new mattress for first time in awhile, and am intrigued with the 100 free nights in-home offers. Just wondering others experiences in the process and quality of the mattresses.

D2D
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 493 times
Been liked: 167 times

Post by D2D » Wed May 12 8:43 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Tue May 11 10:43 pm
Has anyone on here purchased any of the online mattresses before? Specifically Helix or Nolah?

Looking at getting a new mattress for first time in awhile, and am intrigued with the 100 free nights in-home offers. Just wondering others experiences in the process and quality of the mattresses.
We love our Avocado Green mattress that we purchased four years ago. It topped the list of the mattresses that Consumer Reports rated that year.

https://www.avocadogreenmattress.com/pr ... c-mattress
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu May 13 10:46 am

I signed up with nomorobo a while back and have noticed a dramatic decrease in robo calls. If you haven't signed up with them and are getting a lot of robo calls, I suggest looking into the service (free).

MNNavy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by MNNavy » Thu May 13 12:24 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu May 13 10:46 am
I signed up with nomorobo a while back and have noticed a dramatic decrease in robo calls. If you haven't signed up with them and are getting a lot of robo calls, I suggest looking into the service (free).
According to their website, it's only free for land lines. Mobile is $1.99/month per device.
"It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance." - Thomas Sowell
"Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." - Sir Winston Churchill

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu May 13 3:04 pm

MNNavy wrote:
Thu May 13 12:24 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Thu May 13 10:46 am
According to their website, it's only free for land lines. Mobile is $1.99/month per device.
I used it for my landline. I would get 10+ robo calls per day and now close to zero. I actually check to see who is calling now.

Zwak
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 208 times

Post by Zwak » Thu May 27 7:54 am

We need a new water heater. The current one was installed in 2005. Have there been big changes in water heater technology since then. We don't want to go the tankless route as it is just my wife and I and don't need that expense for just the two of us.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Thu May 27 12:34 pm

Zwak wrote:
Thu May 27 7:54 am
We need a new water heater. The current one was installed in 2005. Have there been big changes in water heater technology since then. We don't want to go the tankless route as it is just my wife and I and don't need that expense for just the two of us.
The net ones have more insulation around them which increased the diameter. Sometimes this makes it hard to fit in the existing space. Other than that you're still heading water the same way

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 211 times

Post by Karlsson » Thu May 27 2:59 pm

Orion wrote:
Thu May 27 12:34 pm
Zwak wrote:
The net ones have more insulation around them which increased the diameter. Sometimes this makes it hard to fit in the existing space. Other than that you're still heading water the same way
Right. Things are a bit more efficient, but overall they remain a big Sterno.

We just had a new one put in, it is shorter and fatter than the previous one. This was not only because of more insulation, though. Our old one was too tall for the space to be vented properly, so it wasn't. Basically melted the seals on the top of it.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 474 times

Post by frozen4champs » Thu May 27 3:10 pm

Zwak wrote:
Something also to consider looking into is if your local electric or gas company has incentives for putting in a new water heater. When we built our house 2 years ago, our electric company had a great deal on the one we got. They installed a meter on it that allows them to turn it off if there is a peak power emergency. It has never happened to us, and it holds enough hot water that for the 2 of us that we would not ever notice it.

D2D
Golden
Golden

Post by D2D » Thu May 27 3:23 pm

I have a slightly different problem: the water softener (Kenmore Elite) is running continuously, or at least is sounding like it is running continuously. No leaks, no water in the tank, and salt level appears to be holding steady. Might need a new one, or maybe just repairs. I'm going to run its regeneration mode overnight and see if it might reset itself. If it still is running tomorrow morning then I'll probably look for a new one.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu May 27 6:10 pm

D2D wrote:
Thu May 27 3:23 pm
I have a slightly different problem: the water softener (Kenmore Elite) is running continuously, or at least is sounding like it is running continuously. No leaks, no water in the tank, and salt level appears to be holding steady. Might need a new one, or maybe just repairs. I'm going to run its regeneration mode overnight and see if it might reset itself. If it still is running tomorrow morning then I'll probably look for a new one.
You can replace the resin in the cylinder, or have it replaced for you. I have never done this myself but I watched a video on how to do it about 10 years ago. Doesn’t appear too difficult if you’re a handy person.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Thu May 27 7:15 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu May 27 6:10 pm
D2D wrote:
Thu May 27 3:23 pm
You can replace the resin in the cylinder, or have it replaced for you. I have never done this myself but I watched a video on how to do it about 10 years ago. Doesn’t appear too difficult if you’re a handy person.
The problem is that if it’s working too hard it will eventually wearing out the primary control board in it. This is exactly what happened to our last one and I didn’t realize the problem until I found the water shooting over the drain and into a low spot in my utility room. The resin is only a short term fix too based on what I heard given where D2D and I live

Plymouth water is a nightmare for water softeners and you’re lucky if you get 7 years out of a softener here. We are on our 3rd one and this last one is more industrial strength version. The guy who replaced it said 60% of his business is in Plymouth and Maple Grove because of how hard the water is

D2D
Golden
Golden

Post by D2D » Thu May 27 8:35 pm

davescharf wrote:
Thu May 27 7:15 pm
The problem is that if it’s working too hard it will eventually wearing out the primary control board in it. This is exactly what happened to our last one and I didn’t realize the problem until I found the water shooting over the drain and into a low spot in my utility room. The resin is only a short term fix too based on what I heard given where D2D and I live

Plymouth water is a nightmare for water softeners and you’re lucky if you get 7 years out of a softener here. We are on our 3rd one and this last one is more industrial strength version. The guy who replaced it said 60% of his business is in Plymouth and Maple Grove because of how hard the water is
Thanks so much, davescharf, for your very helpful reply. Ours is at least 15 years old, so I guess it's time to move on and get a new one. May I ask which brand and model of the "industrial strength version" you last purchased, and who installed it for you?
Thanks for any info you can share.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Thu May 27 10:48 pm

D2D wrote:
Thu May 27 8:35 pm
davescharf wrote:
Thu May 27 7:15 pm

Thanks so much, davescharf, for your very helpful reply. Ours is at least 15 years old, so I guess it's time to move on and get a new one. May I ask which brand and model of the "industrial strength version" you last purchased, and who installed it for you?
Thanks for any info you can share.
We bought it from a place called Water Conditioning Inc. I was intending to call Surge since they put in the previous 2 but they were acquired in by this company.

I’ll see if I can find the brand and model info for you. 15 years where we live is a good run since we have replaced 2 of them and we will be in our house 16 years later this summer

D2D
Golden
Golden

Post by D2D » Fri May 28 8:29 am

davescharf wrote:
Thu May 27 10:48 pm
We bought it from a place called Water Conditioning Inc. I was intending to call Surge since they put in the previous 2 but they were acquired in by this company.

I’ll see if I can find the brand and model info for you. 15 years where we live is a good run since we have replaced 2 of them and we will be in our house 16 years later this summer
Thanks again for your help, Dave. I left a message in the company's mailbox and hope to hear back soon!

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Fri Jun 04 4:01 pm

I’ve spoken to two companies now about windows (Sela and Builders&Remodelers). Sela came two weeks ago and I still don’t have a quote from them. I finally emailed them and was told I’ll have it in a couple days. It’s weird given that they talked to us for 5 minutes and then left about 20 minutes of measurements they took without us

Builders and Remodelers have us a very in depth walk through of what they sell and different things we should know when looking. It was geared to “this is why our product is better” but you need to expect that. It was longer than I wanted it to be but mostly informative and I have a much better idea of what I should be asking others.

What I didn’t really like was that we got a quote from them and then a semi hard sell about buying today. I was pretty clear when I called them we are looking and thinking about buying but wouldn’t make decisions on. It’s also pretty amazing they would drop the price 20% right on the spot and then have the audacity to tel us that price may not be available even in a few weeks. It’s stuff like that which makes me really hate dealing with contractors even though I think the quote isn’t terrible

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Jun 04 7:24 pm

davescharf wrote:
Fri Jun 04 4:01 pm
I’ve spoken to two companies now about windows (Sela and Builders&Remodelers). Sela came two weeks ago and I still don’t have a quote from them. I finally emailed them and was told I’ll have it in a couple days. It’s weird given that they talked to us for 5 minutes and then left about 20 minutes of measurements they took without us

Builders and Remodelers have us a very in depth walk through of what they sell and different things we should know when looking. It was geared to “this is why our product is better” but you need to expect that. It was longer than I wanted it to be but mostly informative and I have a much better idea of what I should be asking others.

What I didn’t really like was that we got a quote from them and then a semi hard sell about buying today. I was pretty clear when I called them we are looking and thinking about buying but wouldn’t make decisions on. It’s also pretty amazing they would drop the price 20% right on the spot and then have the audacity to tel us that price may not be available even in a few weeks. It’s stuff like that which makes me really hate dealing with contractors even though I think the quote isn’t terrible
There’s a reason they don’t want to to have time to research.

If you ever go for a time share presentation, check out the prices of those bailing on their timeshare vs what you were presented. LOL

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sat Jun 05 7:05 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Jun 04 7:24 pm
davescharf wrote:

If you ever go for a time share presentation, check out the prices of those bailing on their timeshare vs what you were presented. LOL
I don’t ever want to sit in a timeshare presentation. We have no interest in a second house unless we buy a place purely as a rental.

The biggest challenge I’m finding is that we have brown exterior trim and 80s oak everywhere. We could repaint the trim of the house to make white windows work on the exterior but we will have to swallow the cost of an upgraded internal option I guess if we decide to do it

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Jun 05 7:42 am

We booked a rental car for our upcoming trip through Expedia. We have used them many times before when booking flights, hotels and cars with zero issues. Now the car rental company that we will get our car from charged us as well. So we have been double charged. We called the rental car company and they said we need to talk to Expedia. We called Expedia and they said we need to call the rental car company. We have spent way too much time on the phone with this so far (hours on hold). I guess an option is to dispute one of the charges with my CC company. Has anyone ever experienced this situation with Expedia or priceline etc and any tips to get things moving along faster? Thanks.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Jun 05 9:42 am

davescharf wrote:
Sat Jun 05 7:05 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Jun 04 7:24 pm
davescharf wrote:

I don’t ever want to sit in a timeshare presentation. We have no interest in a second house unless we buy a place purely as a rental.

The biggest challenge I’m finding is that we have brown exterior trim and 80s oak everywhere. We could repaint the trim of the house to make white windows work on the exterior but we will have to swallow the cost of an upgraded internal option I guess if we decide to do it
We had the exact same (dark brown house and oak trim interior) and chose the Sela fiberglass windows for bedrooms and bathroom) which come in brown. The brown window went well with the oak trim.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Jun 05 9:44 am

The fiberglass windows are very sturdy (better than vinyl) and don’t rot. They’re an excellent option. Only down side is they were comparable in price to wood.

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by Kelly Red » Sat Jun 05 11:10 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Sat Jun 05 7:42 am
We booked a rental car for our upcoming trip through Expedia. We have used them many times before when booking flights, hotels and cars with zero issues. Now the car rental company that we will get our car from charged us as well. So we have been double charged. We called the rental car company and they said we need to talk to Expedia. We called Expedia and they said we need to call the rental car company. We have spent way too much time on the phone with this so far (hours on hold). I guess an option is to dispute one of the charges with my CC company. Has anyone ever experienced this situation with Expedia or priceline etc and any tips to get things moving along faster? Thanks.
I’ve had this happen with a hotel room.
First ? Are you positive you’ve been double charged? Do you have a CC statement showing 2 charges? I ask because you may have booked and appeared to pay Expedia, but the invoice actually comes from the rental car. If you are sure it’s a double charge, go back to Expedia, the ORIGINAL booking site. Ask them why you’re being double charged as they are the ones who had to pass on the customer information.
Do you read Elliott Advocacy? They have an entire section on car rental companies. I don’t know who you’ve rented from but several of them are in bankruptcy.
They are pulling every trick in the book to bring in money, hoping most people will give up.
One word of warning, don’t fill a claim with your CC until you’ve exhausted ALL other choices. If the CC decides against you, you have no one to help after that. CC disputes should only be used as a very last resort and you need to know you will probably lose.

And my biggest tip, never use a secondary booking agent. Always book direct. Yes, you can often find slightly cheaper rooms or flights, and it works “most” times. But when it doesn’t you end up in exactly your situation. Everyone passes the buck back and forth and you end up wasting time and money. If I have a flight problem I want a Delta agent dealing with it, not Expedia or Booking.com.
Honestly I’m surprised the road to Hell is paved at all.
-blatant steal from Twitter

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Jun 05 11:15 am

We’ve had great luck using Costco to book our rental vehicles. Easy to rebook if prices change. For what it’s worth.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Sat Jun 05 11:42 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Jun 05 11:15 am
We’ve had great luck using Costco to book our rental vehicles. Easy to rebook if prices change. For what it’s worth.
That’s all well and good when it goes smoothly. Let me throw this out, you’ve booked a car through Costco. You show up and CarRental says sorry, we don’t have a car booked for you. Who do you want to deal with? The person standing right in front of you or Costco on a phone call? Because I guarantee CarRental will say “ you didn’t reserve through us”, go deal with Costco as they made the mistake.
I will admit to being overly cautious, partly because I travel ALOT. I’ve had many different things go wonky, both in the US and overseas. I’ve been burned by secondary booking twice and I’m now smart enough to avoid a third. It’s difficult enough trying to deal with one place, make it TWO, with competing agendas and it’s a nightmare as F4Champs posted.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sat Jun 05 11:54 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Jun 05 9:44 am
The fiberglass windows are very sturdy (better than vinyl) and don’t rot. They’re an excellent option. Only down side is they were comparable in price to wood.
We may end up looking at that way. We may go with white exterior and the wood grain interior too. I actually really like the white on the exterior (and I’m ok redoing the trim to match it)but at least we know the ballpark of what we are looking at from a cost perspective. The white/white vinyl we got quoted yesterday was a little north of $50k before the “if you get it now we can drop it another nearby $10k.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Sat Jun 05 12:12 pm

davescharf wrote:
Sat Jun 05 11:54 am
Bertogliat wrote:
We may end up looking at that way. We may go with white exterior and the wood grain interior too. I actually really like the white on the exterior (and I’m ok redoing the trim to match it)but at least we know the ballpark of what we are looking at from a cost perspective. The white/white vinyl we got quoted yesterday was a little north of $50k before the “if you get it now we can drop it another nearby $10k.
Google “window replacement scams” if you haven’t already. Dropping the price that much is a classic.
Windows are a HUGE investment as I’m sure you’re aware, don’t fall for this crap. We talked to at least 6 places when we did ours and hit the trifecta of scammy sellers. But we finally found what we wanted, yes they were expensive, we ended up doing one story at a time to help with the expense and spread it over 3 years. 100+ year house with a :censored: ton of windows, every fricking one a different size! Our house isn’t your house but spend as much time as you need finding what you want. IGNORE the sales pressure.

We went with Anderson Renovation windows. Ours are wood only because we were trying to stay true to the house and we wanted to preserve the interior woodwork. They are now 17 years old and except for one double pane fail, which they fixed, still look and work great.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 465 times
Been liked: 421 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Jun 05 1:38 pm

In this case disputing with the CC company should not be difficult if you're only disputing 1 charge and if you were double billed. You will have at the very least confirmation of the booking from Expedia. Your CC company will be able to verify 2 charges likely closely made in timing for the same amount. It's easy to surmise the Expedia charge spurred the Rental Co charge since your Expedia confirmation will validate which rental company you booked.

As for using online agencies I always get confirmation in writing from the hotel/car agency in addition to something from Agoda, airbnb, whatever. That way when you show up you have their validation of the reservation. If you don't get one within 1 hour of completing your reservation contact the merchant and get it.
Currently under construction.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Jun 05 3:00 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Sat Jun 05 11:10 am
frozen4champs wrote:
Sat Jun 05 7:42 am
I’ve had this happen with a hotel room.
First ? Are you positive you’ve been double charged? Do you have a CC statement showing 2 charges? I ask because you may have booked and appeared to pay Expedia, but the invoice actually comes from the rental car. If you are sure it’s a double charge, go back to Expedia, the ORIGINAL booking site. Ask them why you’re being double charged as they are the ones who had to pass on the customer information.
Do you read Elliott Advocacy? They have an entire section on car rental companies. I don’t know who you’ve rented from but several of them are in bankruptcy.
They are pulling every trick in the book to bring in money, hoping most people will give up.
One word of warning, don’t fill a claim with your CC until you’ve exhausted ALL other choices. If the CC decides against you, you have no one to help after that. CC disputes should only be used as a very last resort and you need to know you will probably lose.

And my biggest tip, never use a secondary booking agent. Always book direct. Yes, you can often find slightly cheaper rooms or flights, and it works “most” times. But when it doesn’t you end up in exactly your situation. Everyone passes the buck back and forth and you end up wasting time and money. If I have a flight problem I want a Delta agent dealing with it, not Expedia or Booking.com.
Thanks for the info and advice. I check my credit card/bank accounts almost daily. ( drives wife crazy during Christmas when she is trying to buy me gifts) After the Expedia charge hit my account, the car company then had a pending, and now actual charge for the same amount. Like I said, we have had zero problems before, but as they say, it just takes one. Once this mess is straightened out, rest assured we will not use those sights again.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sat Jun 05 3:31 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Sat Jun 05 12:12 pm
davescharf wrote:
Sat Jun 05 11:54 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Google “window replacement scams” if you haven’t already. Dropping the price that much is a classic.
Windows are a HUGE investment as I’m sure you’re aware, don’t fall for this crap. We talked to at least 6 places when we did ours and hit the trifecta of scammy sellers. But we finally found what we wanted, yes they were expensive, we ended up doing one story at a time to help with the expense and spread it over 3 years. 100+ year house with a :censored: ton of windows, every fricking one a different size! Our house isn’t your house but spend as much time as you need finding what you want. IGNORE the sales pressure.

We went with Anderson Renovation windows. Ours are wood only because we were trying to stay true to the house and we wanted to preserve the interior woodwork. They are now 17 years old and except for one double pane fail, which they fixed, still look and work great.
Yeah - the way I looked at it is that I could use it to further negotiate something if we want to buy. I only had a general idea of what they’d cost so seeing some real numbers and how the process works is really good.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Jun 05 4:22 pm

The more the pressure, the bigger the markup/scam. A good company will let you come to them when YOU are ready, no matter what product you are buying.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 271 times

Post by Beauner » Sun Jun 06 10:33 pm

While it is probably the "buy now and save" pitch more than anything else, could it also be a question of the rising prices of materials?

One of my buddies works construction and said last October his aunt had them out to quote a new/remodeled garage. In October it was $8,000. She had them quote again in March and it was $10,750. She's finally ready to get it done now and had them out for a final quote and with the increase in material prices the exact same quote that was $8,000 like 8 months ago was like $12,500. And I assume since it's his aunt's house and his dad's company they aren't trying to scam for more money. Not sure if window materials are rising in cost like that either but it may be a factor.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Jun 06 10:38 pm

Beauner wrote:
Sun Jun 06 10:33 pm
While it is probably the "buy now and save" pitch more than anything else, could it also be a question of the rising prices of materials?

One of my buddies works construction and said last October his aunt had them out to quote a new/remodeled garage. In October it was $8,000. She had them quote again in March and it was $10,750. She's finally ready to get it done now and had them out for a final quote and with the increase in material prices the exact same quote that was $8,000 like 8 months ago was like $12,500. And I assume since it's his aunt's house and his dad's company they aren't trying to scam for more money. Not sure if window materials are rising in cost like that either but it may be a factor.
When they start dropping prices "if you buy NOW" like that....that's the red flag. It's not the cost itself. It's the wiggle room that suddenly has a lot of wiggle.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Jun 06 10:38 pm

Beauner wrote:

It would be wise to say so. Unfortunately pressure scams are far more common than skyrocketing prices of raw materials.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun Jun 06 10:48 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sun Jun 06 10:38 pm
Beauner wrote:

When they start dropping prices "if you buy NOW" like that....that's the red flag. It's not the cost itself. It's the wiggle room that suddenly has a lot of wiggle.
I’m sure prices have gone up and will more but it was definitely a buy right now tactic. I’d already read about it on a few sites even if it wasn’t as aggressive as it could have been

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by HockeyBum » Tue Jun 22 12:55 pm

Does anyone own a newer Jeep Wrangler? My wife really wants to get one, but I'm less enthusiastic about the idea. I admit that they look cool and fun, but I just picture an uncomfortably rough ride, clunky steering, costly to maintain, etc... I've never driven one, so I could be completely wrong?

Just for context, this would be our secondary vehicle, which we use mostly to run errands around town. We would rarely drive it more than 30 miles from home. It would be replacing our Nissan Rogue.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Tue Jun 22 1:42 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Tue Jun 22 12:55 pm
Does anyone own a newer Jeep Wrangler? My wife really wants to get one, but I'm less enthusiastic about the idea. I admit that they look cool and fun, but I just picture an uncomfortably rough ride, clunky steering, costly to maintain, etc... I've never driven one, so I could be completely wrong?

Just for context, this would be our secondary vehicle, which we use mostly to run errands around town. We would rarely drive it more than 30 miles from home. It would be replacing our Nissan Rogue.

My brother has a 2017, not sure how much they’ve changed since. It is fun but he’s complained about a few issues that would bug the :censored: out of me.
1) It’s a loud ride! Not very well insulated, so every road noise is heard.
2) It’s a cold ride in the winter! Same reason.
3) The whole thing sort of rattles.
4) He’s had maintenance issues, his local place takes forever to get parts. He had some sort of recall and waited almost a year to get it fixed.
He’s looking to get rid of it and just go with a sportier SUV.

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Tue Jun 22 2:16 pm

Does anyone have a Yeti cooler? Or one of the "knockoff" brands?

We are looking to get one and just want one that works well for the weekend camping or at the cabin without having to continuously add more ice.

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Tue Jun 22 6:46 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Tue Jun 22 2:16 pm
Does anyone have a Yeti cooler? Or one of the "knockoff" brands?

We are looking to get one and just want one that works well for the weekend camping or at the cabin without having to continuously add more ice.
We bought the Lifetime brand cooler from Walmart. Holds ice really well. How it compares to a name brand I'm not sure but it can't be that far off and given the thing is half the cost I'm glad we bought it.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Tue Jun 22 6:55 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Tue Jun 22 1:42 pm
HockeyBum wrote:
Tue Jun 22 12:55 pm

My brother has a 2017, not sure how much they’ve changed since. It is fun but he’s complained about a few issues that would bug the :censored: out of me.
1) It’s a loud ride! Not very well insulated, so every road noise is heard.
2) It’s a cold ride in the winter! Same reason.
3) The whole thing sort of rattles.
4) He’s had maintenance issues, his local place takes forever to get parts. He had some sort of recall and waited almost a year to get it fixed.
He’s looking to get rid of it and just go with a sportier SUV.
I’ve heard a lot of former Jeep owners state that Jeep stands for ‘Just Empty Every Pocket’. Lots of them seem to have reliability issues.

I can’t speak to it myself but the number of people who own them that have told me that has kept me from seriously considering any Jeep