Consumer Research

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 351 times

Re: Consumer Research

Post by Beauner » Wed Jun 03 10:10 am

Zwak wrote:
Tue Jun 02 12:45 pm
6 - 7 hour wait times at the two Sport Clips in Woodbury. :shock:

I use a local barber but caved and bought clippers. Definitely will go back to my local guy for next cut.
One of my softball teammate's wife has a salon. She sponsors our team so we all try to go to her to get our hair cut to give back to her/support her.

She had so many people pre-pay for haircuts (to help keep her afloat so she could pay bills on the rent etc.) during the Stay at Home shutdown that she's booked solid for at least two more weeks. :shock:
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Greyeagle
Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 736 times

Post by Greyeagle » Wed Jun 03 10:15 am

Screen shot of the Great Clips app.....amazing.
Attachments
36D2880B-C7E1-4899-830D-69EF66E167FA.jpeg
:M: :M2: Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers! :M2: :M:

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 515 times

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Jun 03 10:23 am

We bought hair clippers a while back and have saved a ton of money while still having short hair (at least the boys and I). My wife finally got a cut/color on Monday.

That said I have a buddy who is a barber and I will continue to support him even while my wife cuts my hair through COVID. I will bring in cash for haircuts I've missed. The boys get their haircut at random places so we will save money for those missed cuts. No wait times!

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 534 times
Been liked: 694 times

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Jun 03 11:25 am

I have two weeks yet for my appointment which I’ve had on the books since January. My fear is there will be a corona spike and they’ll have to close again by then.....

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 203 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Jun 03 11:29 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Wed Jun 03 11:25 am
I have two weeks yet for my appointment which I’ve had on the books since January. My fear is there will be a corona spike and they’ll have to close again by then.....
Salons have been open for a month in ND and there hasn’t been a spike.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 534 times
Been liked: 694 times

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Jun 03 11:33 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Wed Jun 03 11:29 am
Cowgirl wrote:
There are also no people in ND. ;)

Kidding aside, if there is a spike in two weeks I’m sure the large gatherings over the past several nights will have played a role too...

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 246 times

Post by davescharf » Fri Jun 05 12:53 pm

Well, I finally bought my Orbi and it should arrive on Monday. Once I get the Gig Ethernet switches and cables in then I'll be really curious to see how much better my network connectivity is, especially down in the new basement.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

skiier32
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by skiier32 » Fri Jun 05 1:30 pm

davescharf wrote:
Fri Jun 05 12:53 pm
Well, I finally bought my Orbi and it should arrive on Monday. Once I get the Gig Ethernet switches and cables in then I'll be really curious to see how much better my network connectivity is, especially down in the new basement.
Got mine this Christmas and it works three houses away perfectly.

MATT
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by MATT » Fri Jun 05 3:55 pm

skiier32 wrote:
Fri Jun 05 1:30 pm
davescharf wrote:
Which do you get? I’ve had mine a few weeks and it has been so much better than our old Spectrum default router. We got the RBK50.
Did either of you (@davescharf) get WiFi6? Too much 🤑 for me haha.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Fri Jun 05 4:08 pm

MATT wrote:
Fri Jun 05 3:55 pm
skiier32 wrote:
Fri Jun 05 1:30 pm
davescharf wrote:
Which do you get? I’ve had mine a few weeks and it has been so much better than our old Spectrum default router. We got the RBK50.
Did either of you (@davescharf) get WiFi6? Too much 🤑 for me haha.
I got the AC2200 standard one. I think it’s the RBK40.

Thought about the 50 but I decided I wanted a device on each level of the house. I wasn’t sure if the main level one would cover the basement well enough and didn’t want to spend $250 on an additional satellite

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Jun 05 8:51 pm

I love my mesh system. Way, way better than the old WiFi router with extensions.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 566 times
Been liked: 560 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Jun 06 1:05 am

Does an Orbi work with fibre? In reading up it doesn't sound like with fibre it's plug & play and I'm nervous about that because our cable provider would not provide any assistance with installation or trouble-shooting if things don't work.

I can buy an AC2200 for $275 so I'd love to pull the trigger if it will work.

My other question here is the house is built with concrete for the structure - so no wood. Is that going to be an impediment in trying to strengthen the signal on our 2nd floor? I don't need better coverage or speed on our 1st floor - my only purpose for this is the 2nd floor.
Currently under construction.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sat Jun 06 8:17 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Jun 06 1:05 am
Does an Orbi work with fibre? In reading up it doesn't sound like with fibre it's plug & play and I'm nervous about that because our cable provider would not provide any assistance with installation or trouble-shooting if things don't work.

I can buy an AC2200 for $275 so I'd love to pull the trigger if it will work.

My other question here is the house is built with concrete for the structure - so no wood. Is that going to be an impediment in trying to strengthen the signal on our 2nd floor? I don't need better coverage or speed on our 1st floor - my only purpose for this is the 2nd floor.
Does your fiber terminate at a modem that has Ethernet ports? It shouldn’t care about how the signal gets in so if it has that or you have a way to convert I don’t know why it wouldn’t work.

If you put a satellite device on your second floor you should have no problem with them connected via a wire. If you’re going wireless it may not give you much improvement because of the loss between the router and satellite. My house isn’t fully wired for CAT 5 but I’ve run enough over the years for the devices I don’t want running wireless

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Jun 06 10:45 pm

I would have to go wireless upstairs, but yes the modem does have ethernet ports out so that should solve for sending a signal to the Orbi should we decide to do it.

Another option for me is to pay for the install of a 2nd router upstairs which should not be that expensive here. But they're not making non-essential house calls yet still due to covid.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun Jun 07 8:29 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Jun 06 10:45 pm
I would have to go wireless upstairs, but yes the modem does have ethernet ports out so that should solve for sending a signal to the Orbi should we decide to do it.

Another option for me is to pay for the install of a 2nd router upstairs which should not be that expensive here. But they're not making non-essential house calls yet still due to covid.
I’ve heard wireless between the satellite and router isn’t very good. If you had a way to run a single Ethernet cable upstairs you’d be in a lot better shape

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Jun 07 9:11 am

davescharf wrote:
Sun Jun 07 8:29 am
Slap Shot wrote:

I’ve heard wireless between the satellite and router isn’t very good. If you had a way to run a single Ethernet cable upstairs you’d be in a lot better shape
I had trouble with the satellite on my main floor (middle level) despite the fact that it was hardwired Cat5e. The hard wire location was next to our TV/cable box. Once I moved the satellite into the kitchen area (purely WiFi) it has worked flawlessly.

For some reason, even though it was hardwired, the satellite still wanted a WiFi connection and must not have liked the interference of the TV/cable system.

I wonder if I made the main level router the “primary” if it would have worked in that location (hardwired) and still connected to the basement and 2nd floor satellites.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun Jun 07 9:57 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Sun Jun 07 9:11 am
davescharf wrote:
Sun Jun 07 8:29 am
Slap Shot wrote:

I had trouble with the satellite on my main floor (middle level) despite the fact that it was hardwired Cat5e. The hard wire location was next to our TV/cable box. Once I moved the satellite into the kitchen area (purely WiFi) it has worked flawlessly.

For some reason, even though it was hardwired, the satellite still wanted a WiFi connection and must not have liked the interference of the TV/cable system.

I wonder if I made the main level router the “primary” if it would have worked in that location (hardwired) and still connected to the basement and 2nd floor satellites.
That’s the way I’m going to do it. Planning to set up the main and upper levels today. Basement will have to wait until the other equipment arrives

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun Jun 07 1:11 pm

Ok it’s installed. Had a few issues with setup but I think I had some cabling wrong based on the old and then everything seemed to work after the firmware update

On a good day with the old network my speed test would show 38Mbps. First time I ran it on the new setup it was 208 both on my phone and our desktop PC.

skiier32
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by skiier32 » Mon Jun 08 8:45 am

I got the RBK23. I have the main router in my office, upstairs, another in the kitchen on the main floor and the last one in my sons room also upstairs. Great coverage throughout the house. The upstairs is has the most sq footage which is why we put two up here. If we finish the basement we will get another satellite there.

kmd
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by kmd » Mon Jun 08 12:13 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Wed Jun 03 11:33 am
MNGophers29 wrote:
Wed Jun 03 11:29 am
Cowgirl wrote:
There are also no people in ND. ;)

Kidding aside, if there is a spike in two weeks I’m sure the large gatherings over the past several nights will have played a role too...
People have largely been wearing masks at the recent protests, and the scale of them isn't necessarily larger than the reopening protests we saw a few weeks ago (where people weren't wearing masks). There will definitely be an effort by some made to put the blame on any upcoming spikes solely on the protests, and divert it away from places trying to reopen their economy early/against recommendations of health experts.

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Jun 15 9:18 am

Leaf guard for Gutters

We need a company to do this. The top of the house by the Maple get stock full of the helicopter leaves from the tree and stuffing the gutters in the back corner. Instead of clearing every year, just want to get a cover. Anyone have a good recommendation?

D2D
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 576 times
Been liked: 200 times

Post by D2D » Mon Jun 15 6:40 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Mon Jun 15 9:18 am
Leaf guard for Gutters

We need a company to do this. The top of the house by the Maple get stock full of the helicopter leaves from the tree and stuffing the gutters in the back corner. Instead of clearing every year, just want to get a cover. Anyone have a good recommendation?
Ask me in November! I chose Leaf Filter and am hoping I don't have to utilize their lifetime guarantee.
D2D - 49 years, and counting...

rovert M
Rookie

Post by rovert M » Mon Jun 15 8:24 pm

D2D wrote:
Mon Jun 15 6:40 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:
Mon Jun 15 9:18 am
Leaf guard for Gutters

Ask me in November! I chose Leaf Filter and am hoping I don't have to utilize their lifetime guarantee.
We have four monster maples and an ash tree in our yard. We had Leaf Guard installed on our 2nd story gutters 7 years ago and I haven’t been back on the roof since.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Jun 15 8:55 pm

The company is called leaf guard? I’ll check them out to get a quote

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Tue Jun 23 9:02 pm

Random, but our rental needs a new dishwasher... Any recommendations on an inexpensive option or models to avoid? Should I just get a. Big box stores or any local spots?

D2D
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 576 times
Been liked: 200 times

Post by D2D » Tue Jun 23 9:26 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Tue Jun 23 9:02 pm
Random, but our rental needs a new dishwasher... Any recommendations on an inexpensive option or models to avoid? Should I just get a. Big box stores or any local spots?
Hopefully this will help you select one that meets your needs and budget.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/dishwashers.htm
D2D - 49 years, and counting...

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Jun 24 8:55 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Home Depot has their Red, White & Blue sake going on right now. Similar to the Black Friday appliance sales, prices are up to 40% off.
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Wed Jun 24 9:17 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Wed Jun 24 8:55 am
Home Depot has their Red, White & Blue sake going on right now.
Mmmmm......Sake! :) :shots:

Zwak
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by Zwak » Wed Jun 24 9:28 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
When we had our kitchen remodeled we bought all of our appliances at Warners-Stellian. Had a great experience with them. They really know their products and should be able to guide you to the right choice.

One thing I do remember is that the quietness level can affect pricing. Cheaper models are louder.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Wed Jun 24 9:32 am

Zwak wrote:
Wed Jun 24 9:28 am
gopherguy06 wrote:
When we had our kitchen remodeled we bought all of our appliances at Warners-Stellian. Had a great experience with them. They really know their products and should be able to guide you to the right choice.

One thing I do remember is that the quietness level can affect pricing. Cheaper models are louder.
I would second Warners-Stellian. It's been years since we bought our refrigerator but they were fantastic to work with. Their price may have been higher than Best Buy or Sears when we looked but once you factored in free delivery and, if I remember correctly, they hauled away our old one at no charge the overall cost was actually less.

Zwak

Post by Zwak » Wed Jun 24 9:36 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Wed Jun 24 9:32 am
Zwak wrote:
gopherguy06 wrote:

I would second Warners-Stellian. It's been years since we bought our refrigerator but they were fantastic to work with. Their price may have been higher than Best Buy or Sears when we looked but once you factored in free delivery and, if I remember correctly, they hauled away our old one at no charge the overall cost was actually less.
I agree with this. We got free delivery on our appliances and they did take away the old ones. They will not install anything that needs more than just being plugged in. For example, they will not install your dishwasher as there is some minor plumbing that needs to be done. Sames goes for a gas dryer or a refrigerator that hooks up to a water line.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed Jun 24 11:16 am

Any brands to avoid? I see a lot of GE and LG, but heard mixed reviews.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Wed Jun 24 1:04 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Wed Jun 24 11:16 am
I'd avoid GE ...stick with Bert and Jupiter for your needs :mrgreen:

My only experience with LG is with my Fridge and it crapped out a lot earlier than I'd have liked. I have loved my Bosch dishwasher.

Edit: Another place to look is a place called All Inc. in St Paul. It's a huge appliance store (you can look on their site) compared to Warner Stellian and other stores. You'll find anything from the $200 price point to the $2000 (and higher) price point.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Vegoe » Wed Jun 24 1:16 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Wed Jun 24 11:16 am
Frigidaire appliances have been problematic for me. I heard Samsung appliances are fine, but good luck getting a resolution if they do have issues.

I'm going Bosch with the next round of purchases.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Wed Jun 24 11:37 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Zwak wrote:
gopherguy06 wrote:

I would third W-S.
Customer service was great. Bought a washer/dryer unit from them 2-3 years ago that had free delivery and haul away. Bought a fridge from them last August with the same deal.
And maybe more impressive: they hit the front end of the delivery window both times (within 15 minutes of their projected earliest time). When I had to get a repair on the fridge a month or so after install (defroster died) the guy was actually 5 minutes early.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Jun 25 12:29 am

fwiw we used Appliance Smart to replace our fridge from 6,000 miles away and could not have been happier with selection, contact, service and installation.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Jun 25 1:39 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Wed Jun 24 9:17 am
MNGophers29 wrote:
Wed Jun 24 8:55 am
Home Depot has their Red, White & Blue sake going on right now.
Mmmmm......Sake! :) :shots:
Sumbitch
Doug Woog - 1990

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Jun 25 1:40 am

Zwak wrote:
Wed Jun 24 9:36 am
Greyeagle wrote:
Zwak wrote:
gopherguy06 wrote:

I agree with this. We got free delivery on our appliances and they did take away the old ones. They will not install anything that needs more than just being plugged in. For example, they will not install your dishwasher as there is some minor plumbing that needs to be done. Sames goes for a gas dryer or a refrigerator that hooks up to a water line.
Can't blame them. You have to pull a permit for anything that hooks up to water and need a license to do so. We hook those things up, but there are a lot of hoops.
Doug Woog - 1990

Zwak

Post by Zwak » Thu Jun 25 6:26 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Thu Jun 25 1:40 am
Zwak wrote:
Greyeagle wrote:
Zwak wrote:
gopherguy06 wrote:

Can't blame them. You have to pull a permit for anything that hooks up to water and need a license to do so. We hook those things up, but there are a lot of hoops.
I agree. Wasn’t meant to sound like a complaint. Just wanted to set expectations.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Jun 25 7:39 am

Zwak wrote:
Greyeagle wrote:
Zwak wrote:
gopherguy06 wrote:

They installed my fridge and hooked it up to my water line without any hesitation 🤷‍♂️

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Jun 25 8:17 am

Same - AS hooked up my new fridge I only had to have the water line slightly updated first.

Zwak

Post by Zwak » Thu Jun 25 8:20 am

Beauner wrote:
Thu Jun 25 7:39 am
Zwak wrote:
Greyeagle wrote:
Zwak wrote:
gopherguy06 wrote:

They installed my fridge and hooked it up to my water line without any hesitation 🤷‍♂️
Hmmm...I guess it's a question to ask when purchasing. I know hooking up our fridge to the water line was super simple and didn't require any plumbing as the water line was already there.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jun 25 9:05 am

Zwak wrote:
Thu Jun 25 8:20 am
Beauner wrote:
Zwak wrote:
Greyeagle wrote:
Zwak wrote:
gopherguy06 wrote:

Hmmm...I guess it's a question to ask when purchasing. I know hooking up our fridge to the water line was super simple and didn't require any plumbing as the water line was already there.
There is no reason a refrigerator should require a plumber unless there is no preexisting water line.

A gas appliance should have a plumber. I had a plumber hook up our gas dryer just to be certain I didn’t have a leak. He found that the previous installation used an incorrect connection between different line sizes (about 15 feet away from the dryer. It was a leak/fire hazard. I would have never found that.

I also had a plumber install a dishwasher for me, but that’s because I also wanted to add a garbage disposal and I knew it would require a change to the whole drain set up. Plumbers aren’t cheap but having something done right is very valuable.

Zwak

Post by Zwak » Thu Jun 25 9:39 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Jun 25 9:05 am
Zwak wrote:
Thu Jun 25 8:20 am
Beauner wrote:
Zwak wrote:
Greyeagle wrote:
Zwak wrote:
gopherguy06 wrote:

There is no reason a refrigerator should require a plumber unless there is no preexisting water line.

A gas appliance should have a plumber. I had a plumber hook up our gas dryer just to be certain I didn’t have a leak. He found that the previous installation used an incorrect connection between different line sizes (about 15 feet away from the dryer. It was a leak/fire hazard. I would have never found that.

I also had a plumber install a dishwasher for me, but that’s because I also wanted to add a garbage disposal and I knew it would require a change to the whole drain set up. Plumbers aren’t cheap but having something done right is very valuable.
I really mucked this up. Regarding the refrigerator I didn't mean to insinuate that a plumber was needed. I just seem to recall them telling me that they would not hook the fridge up to the existing waterline for liability reasons. That said, they did hook our washing machine up to the existing hookups so maybe I'm just old and confused. :D

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Aug 07 11:45 am

If you're someone with high anxiety levels worrying things are not really turning the right way with this covid thing, and you think you'll be in tight space situations...

Bauer's new face shields are available now.
https://www.bauer.com/en-US/medical-fac ... l?cgid=PPE
Loserville, USA
110 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Zwak

Post by Zwak » Mon Oct 05 3:52 pm

Anyone have an air fryer? If so do you like it? Do you use it a lot?

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Oct 05 3:54 pm

I had a highly reviewed and not cheap one and followed directions but fries were never great and everything else just seemed ok. IMO, they are overhyped.
Loserville, USA
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

MATT
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by MATT » Mon Oct 05 5:04 pm

It’s just a small convection oven. I haven’t found anything that I won’t just use my oven for. We have one and don’t use it very often. Maybe if I made more just for me, but we’re usually cooking for four. Lastly, ours is pretty big (Instant Vortex) and we put everything away; point being if it was on the counter I might use it more too as it probably preheats faster than the oven. (We usually have everything put away, kitchen counters are mostly clear)

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Oct 05 5:49 pm

Zwak wrote:
Mon Oct 05 3:52 pm
Anyone have an air fryer? If so do you like it? Do you use it a lot?
A friend gave me theirs because they never used it. I used it 3 times and gave it away again. It was a big disappointment and the taste was just not there.
IF you aren't really looking to duplicate fried it might be ok. Sort of like turkey bacon. It's not anywhere near real bacon but has it's own taste. The quality and taste of food that's been air fried is NOT fried, it is it's own taste and texture. We decided that since we rarely fry stuff we'd just rather have the real thing.
I should ask my friend if they use it or if it's been passed onto a FOURTH cook? That's not very compelling testimony for an appliance. :ddown:
Honestly I’m surprised the road to Hell is paved at all.
-blatant steal from Twitter

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Oct 05 8:12 pm

They remind me of air popcorn poppers. Good in theory, poor in execution.

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 263 times

Post by Karlsson » Mon Oct 05 10:55 pm

Two of the things I fry the most, fries and curds, they are terrible at. Pass.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Oct 05 10:56 pm

My parents have one that they have used to make steak fries on occasion. They usually turn out OK but it seems like the oven gets them a little more crisp. Could just be a situation where a few more minutes in the air fryer would have the same impact?

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Tue Oct 06 1:16 pm

We have done pork chops and chicken wings in ours with great success! My daughter also made homemade cheese sticks that turned out pretty good. We bought a olive oil spritzer to spray things lightly and then put them in and it seems to do the trick. We don't use it as often as we could, but we have been satisfied with it.
Doug Woog - 1990

fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by fightclub30 » Wed Oct 21 1:23 pm

Slowly, over the last 12 months or so, all the "smart" products we have purchased have become DUMB.

Nest Hello Doorbell, constantly disconnecting from the "chime connector" and doesn't function as a doorbell anymore. Their response "you get the notifications on your phone don't you?" That's not the point.

Samsung "Smart TV" after a recent update, has lots of noise, not sure what else to call it, in the image and the App interface refuses to load. Less than 2 years old, but beyond their 1 year warranty. Yet, still got an OTA update we didn't really want or need that made it dumb.

Samsung washing machine at least is still under warranty and someone is coming to look at, but repeatedly stops mid cycle and chimes that it is done.

My Sony 4K Disc Player now won't resume a paused movie, its almost 2 years old, and out of warranty. But did get a recent OTA update and didn't have this issue before the update.

Our latest computer, we bought last year, isn't working correctly after the latest Windows update.

We bought a Vizio TV, and silly me, I expected it to work and have everything advertised coming out of the box. Nope, needs an update to run certain things and have 2 features I wanted (Dolby Vision being one of them). I don't want this to be connected to the internet, but it won't let me bypass that screen.

Remember when you could just buy something? And not have to share all your personal info? And the item functioned as expected? And the company didn't brick it remotely via an update to get you to buy something new?

I don't need everything connected to a hub or my phone. I just want a F-ING TV, a F-ING disc player, and a F-ING clothes washer that works.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Oct 21 1:40 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Wed Oct 21 1:23 pm
Slowly, over the last 12 months or so, all the "smart" products we have purchased have become DUMB.

Nest Hello Doorbell, constantly disconnecting from the "chime connector" and doesn't function as a doorbell anymore. Their response "you get the notifications on your phone don't you?" That's not the point.

Samsung "Smart TV" after a recent update, has lots of noise, not sure what else to call it, in the image and the App interface refuses to load. Less than 2 years old, but beyond their 1 year warranty. Yet, still got an OTA update we didn't really want or need that made it dumb.

Samsung washing machine at least is still under warranty and someone is coming to look at, but repeatedly stops mid cycle and chimes that it is done.

My Sony 4K Disc Player now won't resume a paused movie, its almost 2 years old, and out of warranty. But did get a recent OTA update and didn't have this issue before the update.

Our latest computer, we bought last year, isn't working correctly after the latest Windows update.

We bought a Vizio TV, and silly me, I expected it to work and have everything advertised coming out of the box. Nope, needs an update to run certain things and have 2 features I wanted (Dolby Vision being one of them). I don't want this to be connected to the internet, but it won't let me bypass that screen.

Remember when you could just buy something? And not have to share all your personal info? And the item functioned as expected? And the company didn't brick it remotely via an update to get you to buy something new?

I don't need everything connected to a hub or my phone. I just want a F-ING TV, a F-ING disc player, and a F-ING clothes washer that works.
Stupid question - is there any chance you have an electrical/wiring issue and faulty currents are negatively impacting your devices?

I could be way, way off bit it's a common problem here so just tossing it out there.

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by Kelly Red » Wed Oct 21 1:45 pm

fightclub30 wrote:

I wish!! Totally agree. I don’t need to run my f’ing dishwasher from my phone! I have a finger. I don’t need a refrigerator that has a media center on the door. A GD post it note works fine. It’s all become ridiculous.
Honestly I’m surprised the road to Hell is paved at all.
-blatant steal from Twitter

fightclub30
Golden
Golden

Post by fightclub30 » Wed Oct 21 2:10 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Wed Oct 21 1:40 pm
Stupid question - is there any chance you have an electrical/wiring issue and faulty currents are negatively impacting your devices?

I could be way, way off bit it's a common problem here so just tossing it out there.
Possible, sure. But how likely? The Marantz (dumb) 9 Channel 4-K Receiver hooked up to the same circuit as said TV and Disc player and has functioned fine for almost 3 years (pre-dates both items).

Everything else in our house that is dumb, non-connected, functions just fine. Our appliances are all at least 10 years old if not more, still run fine. In fact I am afraid to buy new due to the difficulty we've had with just about every item we have replaced in the house.

I've done most of the electrical work, so there could be a problem, but I would assume it would affect more than just a few items. Something like running a vacuum could cause a surge on that circuit, but I think it would affect other things and not necessarily just those devices.

Our garage doors are smart, and so far have worked fine, but that seems like the next show to drop. Great, and now I am tempting fate...

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Oct 21 2:33 pm

Does your internet suck? How old is your router?
Loserville, USA

fightclub30
Golden
Golden

Post by fightclub30 » Wed Oct 21 2:49 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Wed Oct 21 2:33 pm
Does your internet suck? How old is your router?
Internet is CenturyLink 80Mbps ($50/month). As much bad stuff as people say about them, we've never had an issue. Compared to MediaCOM that we were paying more than double the cost ($109/month) for 40Mbps, and constant outtages and equipment failures. When it worked, could stream 4k content to main TV and sitting on a phone or tablet all on same signal no problem.

Router is a Zyxel C3000Z that is probably 3-4 years old.

It is really 40Mbps over 2 separate signals. Most of our "smart stuff" including phones, is connected to the 5Ghz signal. laptops for work connected to the 2.4Ghz signal. My wife and I are both working from home, both using our 2.6Ghz signal to remote into our office's networks. No issues there. Maybe the 5Ghz signal sucks, but why would that cause things to not work? It is getting the updates, I can go into the settings and see it is "up to date" and it says "connected" it just has weird gremlins that make it not function properly.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Oct 21 2:56 pm

5GHZ is not as reliable as 2.4GHZ in terms of going through walls/objects and going longer distances. Only use 5 for the devices you really need full speed for. I even have my laptops on 2.4. I reserve 5 for my phone and the Roku.

Also, looks like that's a modem/router combo that is getting up there in age. I prefer to keep separate modem/routers and update them every couple years.
Loserville, USA

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Wed Oct 21 3:24 pm

My Phillips Smart TV I bought only a few years ago no longer works with Netflix or YouTube. With Netflix it seems to be some change in copyright protection that rendered it useless after 12/1/2019

We didn’t pay a lot for the TV and we can still use ChromeCast to do anything we want but it’s really annoying. We will Probably just upgrade the TV in the coming months since it’s only a few hundred dollars.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Oct 21 3:25 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Wed Oct 21 2:10 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Wed Oct 21 1:40 pm

Possible, sure. But how likely? The Marantz (dumb) 9 Channel 4-K Receiver hooked up to the same circuit as said TV and Disc player and has functioned fine for almost 3 years (pre-dates both items).

Everything else in our house that is dumb, non-connected, functions just fine. Our appliances are all at least 10 years old if not more, still run fine. In fact I am afraid to buy new due to the difficulty we've had with just about every item we have replaced in the house.

I've done most of the electrical work, so there could be a problem, but I would assume it would affect more than just a few items. Something like running a vacuum could cause a surge on that circuit, but I think it would affect other things and not necessarily just those devices.

Our garage doors are smart, and so far have worked fine, but that seems like the next show to drop. Great, and now I am tempting fate...
Only thought was older devices may hold up better than new devices if anything with the wiring was the culprit. But like I said that may have nothing to do with it as you noted.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 616 times

Post by Jupiter » Wed Oct 21 3:25 pm

I have been using my wifi router for close to 10 years... I am afraid to replace it because it is rock solid after having issues with previous Linksys routers. But I still get 120mb over wifi, so I really have nothing to complain about.

My wifi house items: Thermostat. Garage Door. 3 outlets I use for automating lights.

I suppose my TV is also connecting via Wifi when it needs to do an update, but I do not use the "Smart" features at all. I just use the Apple TV for that purpose.

If at all possible, connecting internet devices with a hard wired ethernet cable is always the best solution. I connect my Apple TV, Computer (when on my desk and podcasting), printer, old computer being used as a server, my TV provider box. All connected with ethernet cable. But I have a house where I was able to hard wire many things because I was able to access everything from my cellar below my house. (very old house)

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Oct 21 3:41 pm

davescharf wrote:
Wed Oct 21 3:24 pm
My Phillips Smart TV I bought only a few years ago no longer works with Netflix or YouTube. With Netflix it seems to be some change in copyright protection that rendered it useless after 12/1/2019

We didn’t pay a lot for the TV and we can still use ChromeCast to do anything we want but it’s really annoying. We will Probably just upgrade the TV in the coming months since it’s only a few hundred dollars.
Roku/Chromecast/Apple TV are generally so much better than on-TV software anyways that it's worth it to invest in one for every TV.
Loserville, USA

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Wed Oct 21 3:50 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Wed Oct 21 3:41 pm
Roku/Chromecast/Apple TV are generally so much better than on-TV software anyways that it's worth it to invest in one for every TV.
Completely agree... It just seems like TV "Smart" features are just so slow and crappy. Whereas the external hardware options are just SO MUCH better.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Wed Oct 21 6:36 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Wed Oct 21 3:25 pm
I have been using my wifi router for close to 10 years... I am afraid to replace it because it is rock solid after having issues with previous Linksys routers. But I still get 120mb over wifi, so I really have nothing to complain about.

My wifi house items: Thermostat. Garage Door. 3 outlets I use for automating lights.

I suppose my TV is also connecting via Wifi when it needs to do an update, but I do not use the "Smart" features at all. I just use the Apple TV for that purpose.

If at all possible, connecting internet devices with a hard wired ethernet cable is always the best solution. I connect my Apple TV, Computer (when on my desk and podcasting), printer, old computer being used as a server, my TV provider box. All connected with ethernet cable. But I have a house where I was able to hard wire many things because I was able to access everything from my cellar below my house. (very old house)
I finally replaced mine a few months ago (it was a Linksys) when the signal wasn't very strong in the new basement. I bought an Orbi with 2 satellites so I have one on each level of the house. They're all connected via Ethernet along with my Apple TV and our Smart TVs. Everything else is wireless. I can run wires anywhere I need to but it's a little bit of a pain to do and I haven't had any wireless issues with any of our myriad of other devices.

GO4
Rookie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by GO4 » Thu Oct 22 8:40 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Wed Oct 21 3:50 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
Wed Oct 21 3:41 pm
Completely agree... It just seems like TV "Smart" features are just so slow and crappy. Whereas the external hardware options are just SO MUCH better.
Add Nvidia shield to that list. I've had one for a few years now and it has been great.
fightclub30 wrote:
...long list of broken stuff..

Sorry to hear you are having problems but it sounds like a run of bad luck to me. I couldn't think of anything that could tie all the failures together...just gadgets of all different kinds failing.

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by HockeyBum » Tue Nov 24 2:09 pm

Dumb question from a non-Techie. I was looking at getting a video doorbell (Ring, Arlo, etc...), but it looks like if you want to record any footage, you need to subscribe to a service with a monthly fee? Are there any brands that will record footage, but don't charge extra for it?

fightclub30
Golden
Golden

Post by fightclub30 » Tue Nov 24 2:28 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Tue Nov 24 2:09 pm
Dumb question from a non-Techie. I was looking at getting a video doorbell (Ring, Arlo, etc...), but it looks like if you want to record any footage, you need to subscribe to a service with a monthly fee? Are there any brands that will record footage, but don't charge extra for it?
There used to be a couple (Skybell for one), but I believe most, if not all, got purchased by larger companies - ADT, Honeywell, Google and Amazon...

Our Nest hello keeps disconnecting or not activating our indoor chime. It is extremely frustrating as they do not seem to care. I have come to not like it... Not sure if it is an actual deterrent for porch pirates or not.

I am also sick of everything being a subscription service. I don't think I actually own anything anymore, I am just borrowing a license to use it...

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Jan 03 4:12 pm

Anyone have a recommendation for a good entry skate for adults? Nothing fancy and just looking to skate at the park rink with the kids.

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Orion » Sun Jan 03 4:28 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Sun Jan 03 4:12 pm
Anyone have a recommendation for a good entry skate for adults? Nothing fancy and just looking to skate at the park rink with the kids.
Seems like the major brands all fit a bit different. Getting a good fitting and comfortable skate is more important than a particular brand. Personally I would try and find a used pair first at a local skate shop. If that doesn't work is go to a store and try on different brands and see what you like. CCM and Bauer both have lower end skates that are perfect for what you need

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Sun Jan 03 4:45 pm

Orion wrote:
Sun Jan 03 4:28 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:
Sun Jan 03 4:12 pm
Seems like the major brands all fit a bit different. Getting a good fitting and comfortable skate is more important than a particular brand. Personally I would try and find a used pair first at a local skate shop. If that doesn't work is go to a store and try on different brands and see what you like. CCM and Bauer both have lower end skates that are perfect for what you need
I agreed with the used skate idea.

I bought a pair a couple years ago, first since HS and was shocked at how much they have changed in options, fit, etc.

I have wide feet so I learned that Bauer Vapor is the narrow one, Supreme is a bit wider and Nexus are the wide ones. I found a pair of Nexus ones that were used for a month and returned during a trial period, I think normally they are $599 new, they were on the shelf for $400 and Scheels was running a 50% off used skates sale. They were able to bake them for my foot and they are the best skates I have ever owned.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun Jan 03 5:08 pm

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a low cost sound bar for a 4K TV? It’s for a basement television where we aren’t looking for top of the line, just something with good sound and ARC and Bluetooth support

My wife thinks nothing is wrong with the sound coming from the TV so she said I could buy a lower cost one. As a result I’m looking at a Bose one, a Yamaha, a Vizio, and a Samsung. All of them are under $250.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Sun Jan 03 5:49 pm

davescharf wrote:
Sun Jan 03 5:08 pm
My wife thinks nothing is wrong with the sound coming from the TV so she said I could buy a lower cost one.
It amazes me how many females in my life have said they do not notice the difference between the TV speakers and everything else. The difference is stark for me.

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by HockeyBum » Sun Jan 03 5:59 pm

davescharf wrote:
Sun Jan 03 5:08 pm
Does anyone have a good suggestion for a low cost sound bar for a 4K TV? It’s for a basement television where we aren’t looking for top of the line, just something with good sound and ARC and Bluetooth support

My wife thinks nothing is wrong with the sound coming from the TV so she said I could buy a lower cost one. As a result I’m looking at a Bose one, a Yamaha, a Vizio, and a Samsung. All of them are under $250.
I bought a Bose Solo Soundbar Series II at Costco a month ago. It was $139 when I bought it during their month long black Friday sale. Regular price is $179.