Travel

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 47 times

Re: Travel

Post by Karlsson » Fri May 24 10:10 am

I've heard many absolutely glowing reviews of Riga.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Greyeagle » Fri May 24 10:16 am

davescharf wrote:
Thu May 23 10:31 pm
2. If you could pick a place in Europe to celebrate an anniversary that isn't Italy or France, where would you go? We're celebrating our 15th next year and since we didn't do a big trip @ 10 we're talking about doing something in early June.
Ireland is fantastic.

If Ford is to Chevrolet What Dodge is to Chrysler / What Corn Flakes are to Post Toasties
What the clear blue sky is to the deep blue sea / What Hank Williams is to Neil Armstrong
Can you doubt we were made for each other

Thomps
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Thomps » Fri May 24 10:37 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Fri May 24 10:16 am
davescharf wrote:
2. If you could pick a place in Europe to celebrate an anniversary that isn't Italy or France, where would you go? We're celebrating our 15th next year and since we didn't do a big trip @ 10 we're talking about doing something in early June.
Ireland is fantastic.
If the guy who never works, and is always on vacation says go to Ireland, you go to Ireland! :mrgreen: Perhaps I should head there soon.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Slap Shot » Fri May 24 10:45 am

I have a soft spot for Eastern Europe (despite my mostly Western Europe heritage) and hope to one day explore even more of it.
Currently under construction.

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Handyman » Fri May 24 12:17 pm

YoungEagle wrote:
Thu May 23 10:36 pm
davescharf wrote:
2 questions

1. What would you recommend doing on a family trip to Winnipeg? We're going for a few days later this summer just to get out of town

Scotland is great too especially in spring when it has 20 hours of daylight.
Yeah I was there in May and took a walk at 10pm and you would have thought it was like 5pm. Isle of Skye is gorgeous at sunset :)
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Fri May 24 2:39 pm

Thomps wrote:
Fri May 24 10:37 am
If the guy who never works, and is always on vacation says go to Ireland, you go to Ireland! :mrgreen: Perhaps I should head there soon.
From what cruise ship are you posting? :mrgreen:

PS - You should!

If Ford is to Chevrolet What Dodge is to Chrysler / What Corn Flakes are to Post Toasties
What the clear blue sky is to the deep blue sea / What Hank Williams is to Neil Armstrong

Thomps
Golden
Golden

Post by Thomps » Fri May 24 3:04 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Fri May 24 2:39 pm
Thomps wrote:
Fri May 24 10:37 am
From what cruise ship are you posting? :mrgreen:

PS - You should!
I'm not on a boat... yet.

I should? Okay, I will, in about 8 days. :mrgreen:

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Kelly Red » Fri May 24 3:41 pm

I honestly don't know how long it will last, but a couple of friends who live in the EU say avoid any area that was a location in Game of Thrones. The crowds are nuts and out of the way spots have become completely over run.

I'd go with somewhere in Scandinavia. In June the weather would be close to perfect. Copenhagen is beautiful, so is Oslo. Very walkable, lots of things to do, easy transportation, great food. Besides a major city, it's pretty easy to take a train or a ferry and go to a smaller more isolated spot. Even if just overnight, we like to explore a more rural setting sometimes.
I'd also recommend Scotland. Edinburgh of course, but I could name a lovely inn on Locke Ness that just screams special anniversary. Located within a national park, you're near walking trails, a waterfall, highland cattle. The inn also has a small whiskey bar with about 300 bottles of scotch. I had to drag my husband away.
How many husbands have I had? You mean besides my own?
-Zsa Zsa Gabor

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by davescharf » Fri May 24 4:22 pm

Thanks for all the ideas. We honestly are just starting to think about this so we haven't gotten to the "what would we want to do" yet. I do think that we're leaning to places that would be a difficult trip with kids. I'd love to get back to southern Germany and Austria but we feel we can do that trip with them at some point since I practically lived in that area as a kid.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Fri May 24 5:31 pm

davescharf wrote:
Fri May 24 4:22 pm
Thanks for all the ideas. We honestly are just starting to think about this so we haven't gotten to the "what would we want to do" yet. I do think that we're leaning to places that would be a difficult trip with kids. I'd love to get back to southern Germany and Austria but we feel we can do that trip with them at some point since I practically lived in that area as a kid.
Not that you couldn't do it with kids, but have you thought about Moracco? We were just in Marrakech and Esuaria last Nov. Early June would be hotter but still doable. It is fairly cheap, you can get a lot for your money. People are extremely friendly, the food is delicious. We spent a week but would have done longer. Young Eagle can add more. If you want, PM me and I'll give you the names of the places we stayed at, small riads that were fantastic. We did a private cooking class and took the bus to the seaside town of Esuaria. 24 hrs with an overnight stay covered that, we loved it.
We did not do a stay in the desert, but if we'd had more time we'd have done that too. You need 3 days for that as the really good spots are a ways away.
-Zsa Zsa Gabor

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Fri May 24 7:48 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Fri May 24 10:10 am
I've heard many absolutely glowing reviews of Riga.
It’s a great city, but Helsinki, Copenhagen, and Stockholm are equally great. Just a little pricier

Jane Fonda
Veteran
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Jane Fonda » Fri May 24 7:49 pm

Stavanger-Bergen-Trondheim Norway. Check out the fjordlands.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Fri May 24 9:22 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Fri May 24 5:31 pm
davescharf wrote:
Fri May 24 4:22 pm
Not that you couldn't do it with kids, but have you thought about Moracco? We were just in Marrakech and Esuaria last Nov. Early June would be hotter but still doable. It is fairly cheap, you can get a lot for your money. People are extremely friendly, the food is delicious. We spent a week but would have done longer. Young Eagle can add more. If you want, PM me and I'll give you the names of the places we stayed at, small riads that were fantastic. We did a private cooking class and took the bus to the seaside town of Esuaria. 24 hrs with an overnight stay covered that, we loved it.
We did not do a stay in the desert, but if we'd had more time we'd have done that too. You need 3 days for that as the really good spots are a ways away.
I may do that. It’s a place that’s been on our list to go but hadn’t really thought about it recently.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Bigbeer » Fri May 24 11:18 pm

I would agree that Ireland and Edinburgh are both great. I would love to go back to Brugge...that place is so enchanting that it feels like the Disney theme park version of what a European city would be but it’s real. I watched the movie “in Brugge” and immediately wanted to go and it was even cooler than I expected.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by The Rube » Fri May 24 11:29 pm

In Bruges.

And NSFW:
Hidden Content...
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sat May 25 4:13 am

Yes on Marrakesh and Morocco if you can.

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by YoungEagle » Sat May 25 8:01 am

The Rube wrote:
Fri May 24 11:29 pm
In Bruges.

And NSFW:
Hidden Content...
I love the ‘I grew up in Dublin’ quote from that movie.
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Jul 08 11:05 am

In June we spent almost 2 weeks in Ecuador and the Galapagos. Our niece graduated HS and this trip was our gift to her (spending focused time with her was ours) and she picked the destination. Flew into Quinto for 2 days, then on to Guayaquil. We spent 3 days exploring the city and immediate surrounding area. Then we headed to the Galapagos for our National Geographic/Lindblad ship. If you've never been to the Galapagos it is unbelievable! The animal life has no fear of humans and just goes about their business as you walk right by them. Birds don't even fly away! The very first day, on our very first hike, we saw the famous Blue Footed Boobies and Frigate birds. We saw chicks right along the path, and they just looked at us as their parents fed them. All less then 6 feet away.
We snorkeled each day up close with sea lions, sea turtles and pelicans. I had a Galapagos penguin swim right up to me and practically tap it's beak on my mask! Hammerhead sharks swam lazy circles and more fish then we could count. Kayaked and/or Paddleboarded in calm coves. Visited the Darwin Research Station and learned about the tortoise, each island has a slightly different species. Every day was an adventure in wildlife and fun. Our niece was absolutely thrilled and we had a fabulous time. If you've EVER thought of going, don't hesitate, it was one of the most spectacular trips imaginable. I am ALL about the animals and we saw things everyday that I never expected or dreamed of. The whole thing was a National Geographic Wildlife TV special right in front of my eyes.
-Zsa Zsa Gabor

AHABulldog
Veteran

Post by AHABulldog » Mon Jul 08 11:13 am

Kelly Red wrote:
Mon Jul 08 11:05 am
In June we spent almost 2 weeks in Ecuador and the Galapagos. Our niece graduated HS and this trip was our gift to her (spending focused time with her was ours) and she picked the destination. Flew into Quinto for 2 days, then on to Guayaquil. We spent 3 days exploring the city and immediate surrounding area. Then we headed to the Galapagos for our National Geographic/Lindblad ship. If you've never been to the Galapagos it is unbelievable! The animal life has no fear of humans and just goes about their business as you walk right by them. Birds don't even fly away! The very first day, on our very first hike, we saw the famous Blue Footed Boobies and Frigate birds. We saw chicks right along the path, and they just looked at us as their parents fed them. All less then 6 feet away.
We snorkeled each day up close with sea lions, sea turtles and pelicans. I had a Galapagos penguin swim right up to me and practically tap it's beak on my mask! Hammerhead sharks swam lazy circles and more fish then we could count. Kayaked and/or Paddleboarded in calm coves. Visited the Darwin Research Station and learned about the tortoise, each island has a slightly different species. Every day was an adventure in wildlife and fun. Our niece was absolutely thrilled and we had a fabulous time. If you've EVER thought of going, don't hesitate, it was one of the most spectacular trips imaginable. I am ALL about the animals and we saw things everyday that I never expected or dreamed of. The whole thing was a National Geographic Wildlife TV special right in front of my eyes.
The Galapagos is on my list in the next year or 2. Did you book through a tour company or piece it together on your own? Trying to figure out the best way to get to everything.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Jul 08 12:48 pm

AHABulldog wrote:
Mon Jul 08 11:13 am
Kelly Red wrote:
Mon Jul 08 11:05 am
The Galapagos is on my list in the next year or 2. Did you book through a tour company or piece it together on your own? Trying to figure out the best way to get to everything.
PM me and I'll give you all kinds of info and opinions LOL
-Zsa Zsa Gabor

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Zwak » Mon Jul 08 1:29 pm

Wife and I are going to Norway next June for a family reunion (her late father was from there). We're starting to make plans.

It looks like Delta flights to Oslo all fly through either Degaulle or Amsterdam. We're thinking about maybe flying somewhere else (i.e Copenhagen, Munich) and working our way to Oslo so we can see more countries.

Anyone have any insights about what they would do or where to go in that neck of the woods?
GPL's official source of trivia.

Viking
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Viking » Mon Jul 08 2:26 pm

Zwak wrote:
Mon Jul 08 1:29 pm
Wife and I are going to Norway next June for a family reunion (her late father was from there). We're starting to make plans.

It looks like Delta flights to Oslo all fly through either Degaulle or Amsterdam. We're thinking about maybe flying somewhere else (i.e Copenhagen, Munich) and working our way to Oslo so we can see more countries.

Anyone have any insights about what they would do or where to go in that neck of the woods?
I can think of a couple of things to do in Munich!!! Unfortunately, you'll be there too late for Frühlingsfest and too early for Oktoberfest. I'm pretty sure that most flights to Europe on Delta will go through Amsterdam or Paris.
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

gopherguy06
Veteran
Been liked: 3 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Jul 08 3:03 pm

Have you thought about Icelandair with a stop over there?

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by Jupiter » Mon Jul 08 3:08 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Mon Jul 08 3:03 pm
Worth a look! My ex wife and my girls went to Norway this past spring and did the same thing.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Jul 08 3:25 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Mon Jul 08 3:08 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:
Worth a look! My ex wife and my girls went to Norway this past spring and did the same thing.
They usually have good deals and Iceland for 3-4 days would be pretty cool.

Thomps
Golden
Golden

Post by Thomps » Mon Jul 08 3:49 pm

Zwak wrote:

How much time are you looking at spending outside of Norway? Doing just Oslo? Bergen? Fjords?

I've spent many days in that "neck of the woods", it all depends on your interests.

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Mon Jul 08 7:58 pm

If you're doing Norway, you need to get to Bergen, Stavanger, Trondheim, etc. to see the fjordlands, not just stay around Oslo. Olso is a cool city, but from my experience, Bergen blew it away.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Mon Jul 08 8:20 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Mon Jul 08 3:25 pm
Jupiter wrote:
Mon Jul 08 3:08 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:
They usually have good deals and Iceland for 3-4 days would be pretty cool.
I’ve done a 4 day stopover in Iceland and it is fantastic. We want to go back for a longer trip around the ring road. Happy to share more if you’re interested.

There’s a lot of neat stuff via train in Europe but in my opinion the really cool stuff worth seeing is in southern Germany and not so much northern. There’s some fun places in the Eastern Netherlands like Maastricht that i loved visiting, but I can’t speak for Denmark.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Jul 09 12:27 am

I've never been but have never heard anyone say they regret a trip into Iceland.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Tue Jul 09 11:11 am

My only comment on Iceland is that it is incredibly expensive, you need to factor that in. Yes, general airfare is a bargain, but food and drink prices are through the roof! Iceland has still not recovered from their devastating financial fail and basic cost of living reflects this.

I want to ask, have you ever been to Amsterdam? I loved it and there are tons of things to do in the city or immediately surrounding area. Trains and public transportation is very easy and cheap. Otherwise the suggestions of traveling outside of Oslo are good ones, smaller towns have a whole different feel. Bergen, Lillihammer are both good and easy to get to.

Copenhagen is lovely and in June it would be spectacular. Same with Stockholm. (hint hint, Stockholm has the famous Vasa!!) We've traveled to all of these places if you have a specific question, just ask.
-Zsa Zsa Gabor

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Tue Jul 09 10:54 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Tue Jul 09 11:11 am
My only comment on Iceland is that it is incredibly expensive, you need to factor that in. Yes, general airfare is a bargain, but food and drink prices are through the roof! Iceland has still not recovered from their devastating financial fail and basic cost of living reflects this.

I want to ask, have you ever been to Amsterdam? I loved it and there are tons of things to do in the city or immediately surrounding area. Trains and public transportation is very easy and cheap. Otherwise the suggestions of traveling outside of Oslo are good ones, smaller towns have a whole different feel. Bergen, Lillihammer are both good and easy to get to.

Copenhagen is lovely and in June it would be spectacular. Same with Stockholm. (hint hint, Stockholm has the famous Vasa!!) We've traveled to all of these places if you have a specific question, just ask.
I thought Stockholm was a great visit. Loved Gamla Stan, and the shops, restaurants, etc. packed into the old town. Specifically, Aifur Grog and Mead bar was an incredible fun night out! The palace was ok, and worth a visit, but it isn't up to the level of other European royal palaces. Vasa museum was awesome, and extremely interesting.

I also have to recommend Akkurat for a dinner. They have great food, specifically mussels, and the biggest Cantillon and 3 Fonteinen cellar outside of Belgium. (They have a huge selection of other beer too) We went there two nights, it was so good. 3 blocks away is Omnipollo Hatts, for more good beer.

kmd
Veteran

Post by kmd » Wed Jul 10 9:52 pm

Two big tips for keeping costs down in Iceland if you go:

1) Booze is significantly cheaper at the duty-free in the airport. Stock up for your entire stay before leaving the airport. Buy extra for friends.

2) Bonus. Low-cost grocery chain. Stock up there, and don't bother eating out so much, unless you're outside Reykjavik and find something interesting.

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Wed Jul 10 10:07 pm

Agree with the others, Amsterdam, Stockholm and Copenhagen are wonderful.
After seeing the movie Midsommar, I may avoid rural villages in Sweden though!

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Fri Jul 12 10:41 pm

Back to work for 1 week, after 3 months of leave. My responsibilities shifted a bit now, which was planned before I left, not a surprise or anything like that. Which means more travel. Within the first week being back I've got potential travel to: Delaware, Dallas, Belgium, Poland, China, Brazil and Vietnam. I'm sure most won't happen, but a few definitely will.

Need one of those Asia trips to keep my medallion status.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by george » Sat Jul 13 9:34 am

Jane Fonda wrote:
Fri Jul 12 10:41 pm
Back to work for 1 week, after 3 months of leave.
So you're one of those new-agie dads who took paternity leave? Who'd a thunk? :wink:

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Sat Jul 13 9:41 am

george wrote:
Sat Jul 13 9:34 am
Jane Fonda wrote:
So you're one of those new-agie dads who took paternity leave? Who'd a thunk? :wink:
Why wouldn't I? They're giving me the benefit, would be silly not to use it.

GopherPete
Veteran
Has liked: 4 times

Post by GopherPete » Sat Jul 13 10:00 am

Jane Fonda wrote:
Sat Jul 13 9:41 am
george wrote:
Jane Fonda wrote:
Agreed. The US system is so messed up. A newborn definitely needs to spend more than it's first 2 weeks with the parents (especially mom). It is crazy to think that common procedure in the states is to send your newborn off to a sitter after the first couple weeks. I've lived in Canada for the last 4 years and std. mat. leave is 1 year which can be split between parents if you choose. I work from home so didn't need to take any time off :good2: .

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sat Jul 13 9:31 pm

GopherPete wrote:
Sat Jul 13 10:00 am
Jane Fonda wrote:
george wrote:
Jane Fonda wrote:
Agreed. The US system is so messed up. A newborn definitely needs to spend more than it's first 2 weeks with the parents (especially mom). It is crazy to think that common procedure in the states is to send your newborn off to a sitter after the first couple weeks. I've lived in Canada for the last 4 years and std. mat. leave is 1 year which can be split between parents if you choose. I work from home so didn't need to take any time off :good2: .
When we adopted our son I got 2 months off to use over the first two years of his life. My wife got a total of one week. The problem is maternity leave is that it is based on a medical recovery of the mother which is a completely stupid to think about it.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sat Jul 13 9:35 pm

I just got back from a weeklong trip to Bangalore India. I’d have liked to have gotten out a little more than I did but the traffic is so horrendous that you’d spend 2-3 hours in a car just to get where you want to go and back. I did do a little shopping and checked out a craft brewery so that was fun.

The people in Bangalore are some of the nicest and most accommodating people I’ve met anywhere. It was a little weird when you ask for a knife to cut food and they bring it but the cut your food for you

Karlsson
Veteran
Been liked: 47 times

Post by Karlsson » Sat Jul 13 10:50 pm

Never been to Bengaluru, but I work with a lot of people that are from there as my company is one of the many that has a contract with Tata Consultancy Services. I agree with what you said. Extremely nice people. Numerous instances where they are apologizing over and over again, when I didn't think they did anything incorrectly and said as such.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Been liked: 23 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Sun Jul 14 11:05 am

davescharf wrote:
Sat Jul 13 9:31 pm
GopherPete wrote:
Sat Jul 13 10:00 am
Jane Fonda wrote:
george wrote:
Jane Fonda wrote:
When we adopted our son I got 2 months off to use over the first two years of his life. My wife got a total of one week. The problem is maternity leave is that it is based on a medical recovery of the mother which is a completely stupid to think about it.
When my first kid was born, I was salaried and the HR manager made me take a week of vacation to cover my time. Boy, if I had known then what I know now, I would have nailed his ass to the wall...twice.

Today, if I had another kid, I would want to take as much time as I could. Not sure I would take the entire amount, I would go nuts at home.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Kelor
Golden
Golden

Post by Kelor » Tue Jul 23 6:46 pm

davescharf wrote:
2 questions

If you want an aggressively active trip, you might consider the TMB. I have never met anyone that has done the hike (including myself) that hasn't said it's the best trip they've ever taken in their lifetime.

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 7 times

Post by HockeyBum » Sun Jul 28 5:53 pm

We're planning on going to Milwaukee in a few weeks for a Twins/Brewers game and want to stay 1 day at a hotel/waterpark in WI Dells on the way there so kids can have fun and burn some energy. I'm not super familiar with the Dells. We stayed at Great Wolf for a weekend about 8 years ago and Wilderness a few years back. Are there any other similar places that are worth checking out? Kids are 11 and 10, and are decent swimmers.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Sun Jul 28 7:38 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Sun Jul 28 5:53 pm
We're planning on going to Milwaukee in a few weeks for a Twins/Brewers game and want to stay 1 day at a hotel/waterpark in WI Dells on the way there so kids can have fun and burn some energy. I'm not super familiar with the Dells. We stayed at Great Wolf for a weekend about 8 years ago and Wilderness a few years back. Are there any other similar places that are worth checking out? Kids are 11 and 10, and are decent swimmers.
I’ve stayed at Chula Vista before. It’s similar to Great Wolf in that it has a hotel and water park in the same area. It’s separate from most of the Dells though. Like a 5 minute drive to downtown.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.

Post by MNGophers29 » Sun Jul 28 9:13 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Sun Jul 28 7:38 pm
HockeyBum wrote:
Sun Jul 28 5:53 pm
I’ve stayed at Chula Vista before. It’s similar to Great Wolf in that it has a hotel and water park in the same area. It’s separate from most of the Dells though. Like a 5 minute drive to downtown.
I will second Chula Vista. Stayed there when my kids were little after a work meeting there. The water park is fantastic and if you golf, the golf course on site is nice too. They also have Kaminski’s Chophouse, which is similar to Manny’s. Yes, it is out of town. You drive all the way through the Dells and then it is a couple miles out of town. Worth it though.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun Jul 28 9:19 pm

My wife and her family swear by Kalahari. I’ve never stayed at one of the parks when I e gone but my9 year old daughter and 7 year old nephew loved it

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by george » Sun Jul 28 9:45 pm

davescharf wrote:
Sun Jul 28 9:19 pm
My wife and her family swear by Kalahari. I’ve never stayed at one of the parks when I e gone but my9 year old daughter and 7 year old nephew loved it
We stayed at the Kalahari several years ago and it was great.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Jul 28 11:20 pm

Headed to Portland (Oregon) in a a month or so. Anyone have recommendations on food or breweries? Any must see sites? Going without the kids

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Jul 29 2:45 am

In like 3 weeks I am going to be in a shark cage in Capetown...either I will survive or I end up on Shark Week :D

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Jul 29 6:16 am

Handyman wrote:
Mon Jul 29 2:45 am
In like 3 weeks I am going to be in a shark cage in Capetown...either I will survive or I end up on Shark Week :D
I know which I am rooting for.... :)

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Jul 29 7:56 am

Handyman wrote:

So basically Handy has reached this point of his life.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Jul 29 10:28 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Sun Jul 28 11:20 pm
Headed to Portland (Oregon) in a a month or so. Anyone have recommendations on food or breweries? Any must see sites? Going without the kids
We LOVE Portland! The food, breweries and people are fun.
You have to hit the food trucks at least for lunch. They are in several DT locations and offer up really creative and delicious choices. We've been to Pok Pok restaurant several times, innovative Asian fusion food and drinks. Salt and Straw has fabulous ice cream!! My favorite this last weekend was Vanilla Basil. Sounds weird but a rich vanilla base with a sweet basil granita swirled through.
Deschutes is a beer mecca and they have a really nice place downtown. BIG seating area and good food. I just had a tasty blackberry lavender sour that was very drinkable. Not usually a lavender fan as I'm not a "perfumy" food person but this was subtle. They make wonderful IPAs. Lots more breweries but Deschutes is my hubby's favorite. This last weekend was the Portland Beer Fest so we focused there.

The river walk is very nice, you can walk quite a ways, there are river boats of various types if you want a water view. Saturday?Sunday is the HUGE Saturday Market with hundreds of food and craft stands. But if you have a car drive up scenic HWY 30 towards the Gorge and the falls. Vista House up on the bluff offers stunning views. There are many turn outs and overlooks for a quick stop. You can drive all the way to the Bridge of the Gods, cross over the river and come back on HWY 14 for another scenic route. 45 minutes- 1 hour from Portland to BotG. Going on to Mount Hood will be another hour at least. Drive time is longer then you think because of the curvy road but it's a beautiful route. BotG is a $2 toll bridge. Stevenson on the WA side is a nice lunch town. There are several breweries in Stevenson, including a cider place. Heading back towards Portland stop into the Bonnieville Dam. 30 minutes will cover the dam, power station and the very cool fish ladder w/viewing windows. Free.

If you don't plan of renting a car, take the MAX into downtown from the airport. $2.50 takes you directly DT, easy and quick. Multiple stops will get you within a block or two of almost all the hotels. Portland is VERY EASY to navigate and very walkable.
-Zsa Zsa Gabor

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Zwak » Tue Jul 30 10:47 am

Zwak wrote:

My wife has a (very) temporary itinerary from a travel agent that would include the following stops:

Bergen
Oslo
Copenhagen
Amsterdam

I'm totally naive about those regions. Are Copenhagen and Amsterdam similar? Just want to make sure we get a good variety.

Thanks everyone for all of the insights!
GPL's official source of trivia.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Jul 30 10:59 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Mon Jul 29 7:56 am
Handyman wrote:

So basically Handy has reached this point of his life.

I would give anything for his hair ;)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Tue Jul 30 11:54 am

Zwak wrote:
Tue Jul 30 10:47 am
Zwak wrote:

My wife has a (very) temporary itinerary from a travel agent that would include the following stops:

Bergen
Oslo
Copenhagen
Amsterdam

I'm totally naive about those regions. Are Copenhagen and Amsterdam similar? Just want to make sure we get a good variety.

No, Copenhagen and Amsterdam are not similar with the exception they are both on the water, they have different cultures. I was just in Amsterdam in March, I've been there probably 6 times in the last several years as a good friend lives there and I visit when I can. PM me if you want tips on things to see/do or tips on what to avoid.
-Zsa Zsa Gabor

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Tue Jul 30 12:53 pm

Zwak wrote:
Tue Jul 30 10:47 am
Zwak wrote:

Bergen
Oslo
Copenhagen
Amsterdam

I would say Copenhagen and Amsterdam are different. I love both. Both have massive amounts of people on bikes, so that part is similar.

Thomps
Golden
Golden

Post by Thomps » Thu Aug 01 11:51 pm

Looking to see if anyone has any advice on places to go in Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, or Bosnia.

Right now I am thinking about flying into Zagreb, Croatia, and driving to Ljubljana, Slovenia, and then over to Venice. Anyone spend time in those areas? I will have two kids under 10 with me, as well as two seniors. I will probably end up renting a car, so rural sites can be achieved.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Aug 25 4:37 pm

Has anyone taken Sun Country recently? I was on a flight with just a backpack but curious how they know if you paid for a carryon or not as there were no tags on it. Is it tied to the boarding pass or how do they know?

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Aug 25 5:27 pm

It's tied to the boarding pass...and I refuse to use them anymore they are cheap and treat their customers like dirt.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Aug 26 7:06 am

Handyman wrote:
Sun Aug 25 5:27 pm
It's tied to the boarding pass...and I refuse to use them anymore they are cheap and treat their customers like dirt.
Missing the old Tom Petters days of Sun Country?

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Aug 26 8:45 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Aug 26 7:06 am
Handyman wrote:
Sun Aug 25 5:27 pm
Missing the old Tom Petters days of Sun Country?
I am missing the days up until like last year when they were a cheap (and often more enjoyable) option to Delta. Now they nickle and dime you to the point it is actually cost effective to NOT fly them. You are lucky if you get a snack on one of their flights these days and their bag fees are terrible. They also put in seats that leave less room underneath so "personal items" (the ones they dont charge you for) that work on every other airline dont work so they can hit you with a $50 charge when you have to buy on the spot. This happened to the GF and I when we flew SC to Sonoma. We had just used the bags on a Delta flight and despite being packed full they easily fit under the seat. (in fact we just used them again on a Delta flight to South Africa) We stood in line to check her big bag to Sonoma, and they had us put it in the little display box they have to see if it will fit and it didnt. Even hers with almost nothing in it couldnt fit. On the plane we saw why...the seats had all been replaced (they didnt match at all) and were smaller to sit in and way lower to the ground.

The final straw though was when I paid to "upgrade" to better seats on a flight to Vegas. Decided I wanted to pretend I was someone special. Paid quite a lot and sat in a seat that was comparable to the worst possible seat you could get on a Delta flight. It was a normal chair with little leg room, a small snack, no drink other than coffee. I paid to upgrade to Economy Class basically. If I pay a similar amount to upgrade on Delta it is a better seat, more room, free drinks...you at least get value out of it.

Plus their planes are horsebleep and their customer service is nothing. If they werent a hometown airline they would be regarded a lot worse around here. I know people who fly Spirit over them all the time. I will only fly them if A) the flight is so cheap I cant refuse B) someone else bought the ticket C) they are the only airline that gets me there. Otherwise I will fly Delta every...single...time! I got a Delta American Express Card to put the final nail in the coffin of SC for me.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 62 times

Post by Steve MN » Mon Aug 26 9:24 am

Even after having a Delta AmEx card, I flew Sun Country almost any time their flight schedule worked for me. Decent prices, especially to upgrade to first class, great service, easier time through security, all sorts of good things.
Then they decided to go full nickle-and-dime budget carrier route and I figured I was likely done with them. Once they stranded a full planeload of people in Mexico, they earned a place on my "no way, no how" list.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Aug 26 9:46 am

Steve MN wrote:
Mon Aug 26 9:24 am
Even after having a Delta AmEx card, I flew Sun Country almost any time their flight schedule worked for me. Decent prices, especially to upgrade to first class, great service, easier time through security, all sorts of good things.
Then they decided to go full nickle-and-dime budget carrier route and I figured I was likely done with them. Once they stranded a full planeload of people in Mexico, they earned a place on my "no way, no how" list.
My friend and her daughter were on that infamous flight, or NON flight. The way they handled that situation was criminal, I’ll never fly them.
-Zsa Zsa Gabor

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Mon Aug 26 10:15 am

Kelly Red wrote:
Mon Aug 26 9:46 am
Steve MN wrote:
Mon Aug 26 9:24 am
My friend and her daughter were on that infamous flight, or NON flight. The way they handled that situation was criminal, I’ll never fly them.
I can certainly understand some delays/etc. I'm from Minnesota, I know how snow can be, even shutting down the very runways the snow-clearing scene from "Airport" was filmed on. But cancelling the return flight with people out of the country and just refunding the price of the return fare? I can't come up with a single valid reason for them to not be able to get SOME other plane down there (other than not being willing to pay the money). Would it be a couple extra days? Probably, but they should absolutely have been able to send either one of their own planes down, or charter a flight from Spirit or some other airline to get the people back. That was definitely the event that removed them from any possibility I'd ever fly them again.

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Aug 26 10:33 am

Yeah, cutting them off and saying find your own way back was ridiculous. I have seen their service drop since the new CEO took over and LOVED them before as a comprable to Delta. Flying out of Terminal 2 was so easy, plus the prices and service was great, but now with the nickel and dime, it is on par with Spirit. We got a good deal on tickets and Delta was $150 more pp, but paid for 1 bag (have the credit card, so got a 50% discount) and seats, so I could sit with my wife. The seats were not comfrotable, especially with the change they made and of course the WIFI didn't work, so leared and brought my iPad for a movie on the return. I will always check them as Terminal 2 is still nicer, but it has to be quite different to take it.

Their customer service is so bad. You call and are on hold forever and they do nothing to help with any issues.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Bladepuller » Mon Aug 26 1:33 pm

My 1st choice has been Southwest for a long time. A 100% union carrier.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times

Post by gopherguy13 » Sat Aug 31 2:38 pm

Anyone flown out of Terminal 1 lately? Got a 6:50am flight on Friday morning. I have Precheck, but I've heard that even the Precheck lines have been crazy lately. But that might have been due to confusion with the fact that clear/Precheck has it's own dedicated checkpoint during this construction?

I saw Delta was advising people to get there 3 hours early for morning flights :shock:

I was planning to get there at 5am.
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Sat Aug 31 2:47 pm

gopherguy13 wrote:
Sat Aug 31 2:38 pm
Anyone flown out of Terminal 1 lately? Got a 6:50am flight on Friday morning. I have Precheck, but I've heard that even the Precheck lines have been crazy lately. But that might have been due to confusion with the fact that clear/Precheck has it's own dedicated checkpoint during this construction?

I saw Delta was advising people to get there 3 hours early for morning flights :shock:

My last flight was beginning of July. Got the same 3 hour warning, but I was through security in like 10 minutes. Got through early because I upped to First Class, but with the length of the lines, anyone getting there 2 hours early still had plenty of time.

Since then, I believe the security checkpoint situation has changed, so I don't know for sure currently.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Sat Aug 31 4:07 pm

gopherguy13 wrote:
Sat Aug 31 2:38 pm

Early morning Pre-check issues come from tons of business travelers taking those early flights. I’d think a Friday morning is not prime business travel, BUT you should still arrive by 5. That’s 2 hrs early, factoring in boarding starts 30-40 minutes before flight leaves. I think the 3 hr warning is for NON pre-check folks, that’s the real bottleneck. I went out at 7am a week ago Wed. I have pre. I was through in less then 5 minutes, but the regular line stretched all down the terminal.
-Zsa Zsa Gabor

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Aug 31 8:07 pm

I have Clear so I laugh at you Plebes :)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden

Post by YoungEagle » Sat Aug 31 8:24 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sat Aug 31 8:07 pm
What stadiums does that work at? That’s like one hundred a year right?
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Aug 31 11:42 pm

YoungEagle wrote:
Sat Aug 31 8:24 pm
Handyman wrote:
Sat Aug 31 8:07 pm
What stadiums does that work at? That’s like one hundred a year right?
It works at Target Field for sure...makes life nice and easy.

Yeah $100 a year and you can add family members for $50 a pop. Plus like every 12 hours they send me an email with a link so friends can sign up. I pay for me, the gf and her parents to have it since they pay for us to go to Mexico every year.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Sep 01 4:22 pm

Isn't clear $179 for a year?

AHABulldog
Veteran

Post by AHABulldog » Sun Sep 01 7:34 pm

Anyone know if the “business” security checkpoint for carry-on only off the blue ramp is still open? Heard it may have had staffing issues at one point.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Sun Sep 01 8:44 pm

AHABulldog wrote:
Sun Sep 01 7:34 pm
Anyone know if the “business” security checkpoint for carry-on only off the blue ramp is still open? Heard it may have had staffing issues at one point.
That has been closed for months with no plan to reopen anytime soon. Yes, it’s staffing.

My biggest gripe is reopen the GD skyway from parking that’s also been closed for “renovation” at least a year!
-Zsa Zsa Gabor