Travel

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 17 times

Travel

Post by Zwak » Thu Jan 27 12:38 pm

Haven't started a new thread in a while so I thought it was time. :D We often ask each other for travel suggestions so I thought it's own thread might be a good idea.

Mrs. Zwak and I are going to Phoenix in May to see the Twins play the Diamondbacks. Anyone ever gone to a game there? If so, any suggestions on hotels somewhat near the Chase Stadium?

Thanks!
GPL's official source of trivia.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re: Travel

Post by Beauner » Thu Jan 27 2:08 pm

Zwak wrote:Haven't started a new thread in a while so I thought it was time. :D We often ask each other for travel suggestions so I thought it's own thread might be a good idea.

Mrs. Zwak and I are going to Phoenix in May to see the Twins play the Diamondbacks. Anyone ever gone to a game there? If so, any suggestions on hotels somewhat near the Chase Stadium?

Thanks!

My dad and I were out in Chandler to watch my brother's college team play ball out in Phoenix in March. Chandler is about a 25-30 minutes outside of Phoenix at most and is right off the major highways, so if you're driving out there it might not be too bad and the hotel we stayed at was certainly cheaper than the ones right in Phoenix. It is definitely a beautiful ballpark. We got to take a little mini-tour of it when we were there, although there weren't any games being played there.

IIRC the hotel we stayed at was Red Roof Inn. Lots of food options right around there too including Whataburger and Chic-Fil-A :drool:
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Thu Jan 27 3:00 pm

Beauner wrote:
Zwak wrote:Haven't started a new thread in a while so I thought it was time. :D We often ask each other for travel suggestions so I thought it's own thread might be a good idea.

Thanks!

My dad and I were out in Chandler to watch my brother's college team play ball out in Phoenix in March. Chandler is about a 25-30 minutes outside of Phoenix at most and is right off the major highways, so if you're driving out there it might not be too bad and the hotel we stayed at was certainly cheaper than the ones right in Phoenix. It is definitely a beautiful ballpark. We got to take a little mini-tour of it when we were there, although there weren't any games being played there.

IIRC the hotel we stayed at was Red Roof Inn. Lots of food options right around there too including Whataburger and Chic-Fil-A :drool:

I've always liked staying in Tempe, which again is either a quick 10 min car ride or from downtown/ ASU they have lightrail which will take you right to the ballpark. Plus the "scenery" near the ASU campus can't be beat. I stayed at a comfort inn right on the edge of campus/ downtown which was just fine for fairly cheap last May.

Mill Street is the main street downtown and has tons of bars/restaurants places to hang out.....

Always Lurking
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Always Lurking » Thu Jan 27 3:37 pm

Gopherguy05 wrote:
Mill Street is the main street downtown and has tons of bars/restaurants places to hang out.....

Speaking of Mill Street: I was going to post a link to ASU's version of The Library, but it appears it has shut down :anger:
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/busine ... ge&photo=3

If you're into piano bars The Big Bang right there on Mill & 5th is :thumbup:

Don't know much about the area around Chase, however :oops:

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Beauner » Fri Jan 28 12:24 am

Gopherguy05 wrote:
Beauner wrote:

Thanks!

I've always liked staying in Tempe, which again is either a quick 10 min car ride or from downtown/ ASU they have lightrail which will take you right to the ballpark. Plus the "scenery" near the ASU campus can't be beat. I stayed at a comfort inn right on the edge of campus/ downtown which was just fine for fairly cheap last May.

The "scenery" is unlike any brand of scenery I've ever seen... except in the Hot Chicks thread here on GPL. Holy :censored: :drool: :drool:
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Sioux/Bucky Hater
Golden
Golden

Post by Sioux/Bucky Hater » Wed Feb 09 1:14 pm

Old Towne Scottsdale is a very cool place to hang out.

I just got back from a trip to Winter Park, CO. Wow!!! Landed Thursday afternoon and immediately headed to the Coors Brewery for the abbreviated tour. What does that mean? You walk in and get three free beers and then leave. Nice start. From there my buddy and I went to the Pepsi Center for the Avs/Wild game. Good thing we were on time because we scored 2 goals in the first 61 seconds. Lot's of Wild and North Stars clothing in the stands. Talked to Kevin Gorg a little. I was wondering why Backstrom wasn't playing after his recent shutout. He explained that Theodore hadn't played in some time and needed the work. Thanks for the insight KG. I asked him if he was gonna skate in Duluth with you guys and he said yes. Did he? I was walking the concourse on the way to the rest room. Some guy stops me and sayss he was sitting in the row in front of me on the plane. He kept talking and explaining where we came from and flight numbers but I could not stop looking at the guy he was with. Finally, I said to the person standing with the guy I was talking to, "Are you Craig Stadler?" He was much shorter and thinner than I remembered. Also, no beard. Anyway, the three of us had a little chat and we went on our way. The game was great, not as great as our ticket prices though. It was "guys night out." We got two 9th row seats, two beers and two guys night out t-shirts for the grand total of $91.00. Sweet!

Friday was first chair to last call. On the slopes at 9:00 and did about 18-20 runs. Wow, were my legs burning. 25-30 runs at Welch does not compare in the least. Went to Ullr's in WP that night and saw a pretty cool band. Hitch hiked home to Fraser (3 miles), got pulled over on the way home. Nobody got in any trouble so it all ended well. We stopped at a guys house after the traffic stop to celebrate our good fortune. Got home about 3:30.

Back to Mary Jane base about 10:00 on Sat. We were going to head to Steamboat Springs but decided not to. It had been snowing for over 30 hours and we were unsure of how long it might take to get there and then back. We didn't end up getting up quite as early as we had hoped either. It worked out well. Even though there were 11,500 people there that day, we found some good snow and unpopulated runs. Took 11 runs on Sat. Back to Ullr's that night for Honey Island Swamp Band. That was a fun show. Good music, good people, and cheap drinks. Again saw last call.

Sunday we didn't get to the mountain again until about 10:00. It worked out perfect. Very few people there due to the Super Bowl as well as the Berthoud pass was closed. Went up one lift and while on the way up noticed that the Panoramic lift was running. The Panoramic had been closed for 6 days due to a mechanical issue. What that means is the top of the mountain hadn't been touched in a week and it had been snowing nearly the whole time. We skied down to the lift and on the way up their was only one track. Epic snow. 14 inches of fresh powder. There was over 3 feet in some places where it had blown over a ridge. Made four runs in that area before the rest of the people there ran us off. The snow turned from powder to bumps rather quickly. It was also very windy and cold up there at 12,000 feet. Ran over to the Park side for 5 more runs totaling 10 for the day. Just enough. Spaghetti legs had set in by that point. Off to Fraser for a Super Bowl party. Stayed up until about 2 that night. Man, I thought I was back in college again.

Recap - partied like crazy, skied enough to hurt, saw a great hockey game, had a blast. Forgive me for the long post but hey, nobody made you read it. :mrgreen:

Luckygirl#13
Golden
Golden

Post by Luckygirl#13 » Fri Feb 11 9:19 am

I'm heading to Dallas/Fort Worth in April for the Nascar race! Any suggestions on what to do and things we should check out when we are not at the track??

I'm counting on you STG! :D

greydogg
Golden
Golden

Post by greydogg » Fri Feb 11 9:27 am

Luckygirl#13 wrote:I'm heading to Dallas/Fort Worth in April for the Nascar race! Any suggestions on what to do and things we should check out when we are not at the track??

Billy Bob's.
Married a F'n Hawks Fan...

SouthTexGopher
Golden
Golden

Post by SouthTexGopher » Fri Feb 11 9:59 am

Luckygirl#13 wrote:I'm heading to Dallas/Fort Worth in April for the Nascar race! Any suggestions on what to do and things we should check out when we are not at the track??

It's too bad you're going to be way out at the speedway...that's so far out it might as well be in Oklahoma. :wink:

For food, I have a couple of suggestions. By all means go to Love and War in Texas. Those who are connected to me on FB know how much I love that place. Killer food, awesome music and pure Texas. For great street type food, you've got to try Fuel City Tacos. They're the bomb. Finally, if you don't hit a Waffle House when you're here, you're making a major mistake.

As for things to do...

The Sixth Floor Museum is actually really good. Parking is surprisingly easy and you also get access to the West End - a mini Nicollet Mall in Dallas near the American Airlines Center. The museum district in Fort Worth is fantastic, although parking can be a pain. All of the museums are great...but skip the Cowgirl Museum. It's not worth your time or money. Arlington is between Dallas and FW...and you can tour JerryWorld there. The TCU campus is in FW, too...and you can go pick up some gear to torment the BADgers SUCK you run into.

Assuming you're going to want to do some shopping, the Galleria quite nice - you can even go skating there (they have their own Zamboni).

One suggestion I have for you is to get a toll tag. It will not cost you anything extra - and it will save you a ton of headaches when you're here...AND it will actually save you money on tolls (the tag rate is cheaper). The North Texas Tollway Authority is tearing down all of the pay booths on the toll roads here - it's all electronic and cameras now. There are a lot of toll roads. You can order a tag online or pick one up when you get here.
The world is bigger than Minnesota, kids.

Luckygirl#13
Golden
Golden

Post by Luckygirl#13 » Fri Feb 11 10:26 am

I knew you'd come through for me STG! :D
Thanks so much for all the wonderful suggestions. I love checking out local establishments when I travel. It goes without saying that we will hit the Waffle House. Anytime I'm in the south it is a MUST.

A co-worker told me to check out the Stockyards and Sudance Square. Your thoughts on these??

SouthTexGopher
Golden
Golden

Post by SouthTexGopher » Fri Feb 11 10:31 am

Luckygirl#13 wrote:I knew you'd come through for me STG! :D
Thanks so much for all the wonderful suggestions. I love checking out local establishments when I travel. It goes without saying that we will hit the Waffle House. Anytime I'm in the south it is a MUST.

A co-worker told me to check out the Stockyards and Sudance Square. Your thoughts on these??

The stockyards are OK...but they're far too crowded for my taste. I've never been to Sundance Square.

You should also hit a Firehouse Subs when you're down...

Edit: If you go to Love and War, the Plano location is nicer. As for menu suggestions, the following are AWESOME in evry way:

HABAÑERO FISH TACOS
Blackened Tilapia in a spicy Lime-Habañero sauce on fresh flour tortillas, Texas Caviar and Texican Rice™, very spicy. $11.95

TEXAS BLUE CRAB STUFFED PORTABELLA
A tasty, Texas-sized version of stuffed mushrooms. Blue crab stuffing broiled in the cap of a grilled portabella mushroom. Served on a bed of Texican Rice™ with sautéed spinach topped with Jack cheese. $12.95

Luckygirl#13
Golden
Golden

Post by Luckygirl#13 » Fri Feb 11 10:39 am

Ok....I'm not really a seafood person. I was kinda looking for a real TX steakhouse that we should check out. But I gotta say those Talipia Fish Tacos do sound good. What the heckis TX Caviar?

SouthTexGopher
Golden
Golden

Post by SouthTexGopher » Fri Feb 11 10:50 am

Luckygirl#13 wrote:Ok....I'm not really a seafood person. I was kinda looking for a real TX steakhouse that we should check out. But I gotta say those Talipia Fish Tacos do sound good. What the heckis TX Caviar?

It's salsa they make...just their term for it.

If you're looking for steak...you need to go to Bob's.

We serve the best
prime steak you’ve ever had.
Our service is experienced,
the wine list is extensive and
the drinks are stiff. If you’re not
a regular already, come by
and let us prove why we’re
so proud of what we do.

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by davescharf » Fri Feb 11 10:56 am

I'll echo the Sixth Floor museum being a must-visit type of destination. Plan on spending a couple hours there because it's fascinating to see everything related to the Kennedy assissination.

I also found the Fox and the Hound (I think that's the name) to be a fun bar in Dallas and The Flying Saucer was fun in Fort Worth. And I'm jealous that you're getting your Waffle House fix.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Luckygirl#13
Golden
Golden

Post by Luckygirl#13 » Fri Feb 11 11:16 am

Ok I'm totally sold on LOVE AND WAR IN TEXAS!! That place looks awesome! Totally what I'm looking for. Thanks again STG! If you think of anything else please let me know.

As for the Waffle House.....When I was in Virginia, one day I literally ate there 3 times. My friend thought I was nuts. She didn't understand because she can have it anytime she wants!

SouthTexGopher
Golden
Golden

Post by SouthTexGopher » Fri Feb 11 11:24 am

Luckygirl#13 wrote:Ok I'm totally sold on LOVE AND WAR IN TEXAS!! That place looks awesome! Totally what I'm looking for. Thanks again STG! If you think of anything else please let me know.

I've sold a ton of people on that place...it's fantastic. Nothing I've ever had there has been bad...and a "tall" beer there comes in a 32 ounce mug. :dance:

The Love & War Mission

Certainly an epic name for what has become an epic restaurant. Love & War in Texas is a restaurant developed by two Texans who believe the philosophy described by Mr. Steinbeck.

The concept was created to promote Texas, Texans, Texas food and Texas Heritage. You will not find any "smoked salmon" or "Alaskan snow crab" on our menu. Only fresh Texas Gulf seafood, Texas produce and Texas grown meats... all cooked into authentic Texas recipes. To compliment the cuisine, L&W has an extensive "all-Texas" wine list and an equally impressive collection of Texas Beers.

Live Texas music has become a tradition at L&W. Texas singers and songwriters from around the state are finding their way to what is quickly becoming a central gathering place for Texas music and Musicians.

Come join us for Texas food, fun and music and you'll know why Texas is known as the friendship state.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Fri Feb 11 12:56 pm

Luckygirl#13 wrote:Ok I'm totally sold on LOVE AND WAR IN TEXAS!! That place looks awesome! Totally what I'm looking for. Thanks again STG! If you think of anything else please let me know.

As for the Waffle House.....When I was in Virginia, one day I literally ate there 3 times. My friend thought I was nuts. She didn't understand because she can have it anytime she wants!

I'd go multiple times in a day probably at least once..or at least most days I was near one.

On a totally different subject, has anyone spent a lot of time in Amsterdam? I'll be there for one night on my way back from a business trip (right near the middle of the city )and was just wondering what would be worth trying to go do when I know I'll only have a few hours at night and maybe the next morning.

ex_goldy
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 2 times

Post by ex_goldy » Fri Feb 11 1:55 pm

davescharf wrote:

I'd go multiple times in a day probably at least once..or at least most days I was near one.

On a totally different subject, has anyone spent a lot of time in Amsterdam? I'll be there for one night on my way back from a business trip (right near the middle of the city )and was just wondering what would be worth trying to go do when I know I'll only have a few hours at night and maybe the next morning.

I had a one night lay over and went to Haarlem, a historic part of town with old architecture. I found the bus system excellent in Amsterdam, they get their own roads so they were on time and nicer than buses here.

GopherFan85
Veteran

Post by GopherFan85 » Wed Feb 23 12:52 pm

Anybody have any ideas/tips for must-see, avoid, or okay attractions in NYC/Manhatten in mid-May?

SouthTexGopher
Golden
Golden

Post by SouthTexGopher » Wed Feb 23 1:22 pm

GopherFan85 wrote:Anybody have any ideas/tips for must-see, avoid, or okay attractions in NYC/Manhatten in mid-May?

Ground Zero.

Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty

If you're there on Sunday...and if you're Catholic, by all means go to mass at St Patrick's. The choir there is amazing...and the church itself is spectacular.

Ride the subway...and make Penn Station a stop. It's right in the middle of everything and it's pretty cool in its own right.

Tip: Be aware that the word "block" in NYC means about triple what it means in Minneapolis. Something that's five blocks away is quite a hike. Wear comfortable shoes. :D

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Wed Feb 23 1:33 pm

GopherFan85 wrote:Anybody have any ideas/tips for must-see, avoid, or okay attractions in NYC/Manhatten in mid-May?

+1000 on Ground Zero.

Also, if you have time to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, then I highly recommend it. You can't go wrong with lunch at the Carnegie Deli either (just prepare to eat a ton of food and wait in line)

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Wed Feb 23 3:15 pm

When I was in NYC in '08 for 6 hours, one of the stops we hit was Ground Zero. There really wasn't much to see as far as memorial or landmarks other than a big block off area of construction. We tried walking in a skyway type thing to get a better view and they had covers over the windows on the Ground Zero side. Now we decided to go to NYC last second as we were staying in Boston for the week, so I may have missed something.

That said, Ground Zero is a must for a trip down there. Just walking around and realizing the size of these buildings, it is almost unfathomable that they could fall. It's a very powerful place to visit.

stan_5150
Veteran

Post by stan_5150 » Thu Feb 24 7:30 am

Updated 4/13 StanimalsWorld

Gopherguy33
Golden
Golden

Post by Gopherguy33 » Thu Feb 24 10:15 am

stan_5150 wrote:Ground Zero is a must.

http://stanimalsworld.blogspot.com/2006_09_01_archive.html

Wow. Thanks for sharing. You're an amazing story teller.
Don't let your mind wander; it's far too small to be let out on its own.

dxmnkd316- Nico came out like someone banged his mom and was looking for revenge.

streakygopher to DHG-I don't know what's better, the original faux pas or the sham bravado veiled over a piqued ego.

Hammy-Don't underestimate the impact of removing the poison from the system.

dxmnkd316

Post by dxmnkd316 » Sun Feb 27 5:28 pm

Just got back from Lutsen. Awesome. The pictures on facebook can't even begin to describe it.

stan_5150
Veteran

Post by stan_5150 » Mon Feb 28 12:04 am

Gopherguy33 wrote:
stan_5150 wrote:Ground Zero is a must.

http://stanimalsworld.blogspot.com/2006_09_01_archive.html

Wow. Thanks for sharing. You're an amazing story teller.

Thanks GG. Even a few years later I find myself forgetting some of the details. Stuff like this I have to write down.
Updated 4/13 StanimalsWorld

SouthTexGopher
Golden
Golden

Post by SouthTexGopher » Wed Mar 02 1:57 pm

The Viagra TSA Experiment

There's not a lot of privacy left for air travelers nowadays. You can either opt for the privacy-invading body scanner, or the awkward full-body patdown. I recently decided to make the patdown a little more awkward by taking a massive dose of Viagra an hour before arriving at the airport.

:evil_laugh: :evil_laugh: :evil_laugh:

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Sun Mar 13 4:15 pm

Mrs. Zwak and I are now heading to Boston in late August for a long weekend. The Red Sox are in town that weekend playing the A's so that may be on our list of things to do, however, we're already making a baseball roadtrip to AZ in June to catch the Twins so we may have to do what she wants to do.

Any thoughts on other things to see there?

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Sun Mar 13 4:56 pm

Zwak wrote:Mrs. Zwak and I are now heading to Boston in late August for a long weekend. The Red Sox are in town that weekend playing the A's so that may be on our list of things to do, however, we're already making a baseball roadtrip to AZ in June to catch the Twins so we may have to do what she wants to do.

Boston is nice because almost all of their things to see are on the Freedom Trail. It takes about 4 hours to walk to whole thing, but it was a good way to spend an afternoon. Also, Bostonians will think you're crazy for walking the whole thing. It's apparently unheard of. You can research what you want to see on it and skip some with the subway if you want.

A must for restaurants is Legal's Sea Food. I've never had a crab cake or clam chowder as good as I had it there. It's a little pricey, but well worth it.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Norm » Sun Mar 13 9:08 pm

Zwak wrote:Mrs. Zwak and I are now heading to Boston in late August for a long weekend. The Red Sox are in town that weekend playing the A's so that may be on our list of things to do, however, we're already making a baseball roadtrip to AZ in June to catch the Twins so we may have to do what she wants to do.

Walking the Freedom Trail is one of the highlights of my life. Been there twice. It's amazing all those old buildings are still there and you're following the footsteps of guys like George Washington and Ben Franklin.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun Mar 13 10:20 pm

On a totally different subject, we're planning a two-week trip to Colorado and are looking to rent a single vehicle for 6 adults and a toddler. Does anyone here own a Suburban or some other huge SUV/Conversion van and would one of those be large enough to carry us and luggage?

We are looking into a 12 or 15 person passenger van as well, but I think a SUV would be more comfortable if one of the larger ones would work.

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 10 times

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Sun Mar 13 10:47 pm

I've got a few ideas after living in NYC for a few years.
Agree on Ground Zero. The staten island ferry is a great free attraction, gives you a great view of the island. I'd avoid Times Square as its nothing but tacky, loud, touristy crap and at times even hailing a cab there becomes difficult. I'd recommend skipping the lines at Empire St building and going to top of the rock instead at Rockefeller Center. Definitley take a walk in Central Park - the size of the park is often staggering to visitors - and perhaps check out the west side of the park to see the Dakota if you're a beatles or lennon fan. Take a walk in the village/west village - really the only part of the city that does not follow the grid number system. You can get lost in the little twisty roads over there (my old neighborhood).
Food is basically my favorite thing about the city. For pizza, I'd recommend Arturos in the village (corner of houston and thompson) or John's on Bleecker (Bleecker and 7th in the west village). Joe's pizza on 6th and bleecker is also great for a walk up place (and was featured in one of the superman movies). Katz's deli is talked about a lot but damn it the sandwiches are worth it, even if they are a bit expensive! For drinks, try Pegu club (near Arturos on Houston). It was ranked one of the top bars in America in that same poll that named Nyes but its a great place - the bartenders there mix up stuff based on what you "feel like" and its some of the best drinks I've ever had

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Sun Mar 13 11:38 pm

Used to live there for over 2 glorious years (ship stationed right in the North End, stone's throw from Old Ironsides and the Old North Church!)

Anywho, you can't go wrong with the Freedom Trail...but it DOES get wicked long and tiring after a few hours of hoofing it.

A few quick thoughts:
The T is your friend - you really don't need a car to get around Boston;
If your better half likes art, treat her to the Museum of Fine Arts. It's a stones' throw away from Fenway, so maybe you could get her to return the favor! :dance: ;

Visit the Old North Church, and be SURE to visit Mike's Pastry right around the corner (right on Hanover Street). Best. Canoles. EVER. When he was in town, Prez. Clinton made it a point to swing by (or have an agent do it for him) to pick up a bag. I just gained 5 lbs just typing about it. Sinfully delicious if you have a sweet tooth.

Prudential Tower – take her to Top of the Hub. Restaurant/bar at the top of the building. At night it’s cool with the lights. There’s also some restaurant on the other side of the Charles River (attached to some hotel, forgot the name) that rotates 360 while you dine. Don’t worry, it moves super-slow (think Gopher-Defense-in-the-playoffs slow) so you won’t get whiplash or anything like that…

Pubs - I used to frequent the Bell in Hand quite a bit, and a dive across the street from the old Garden (RIP) called The Penalty Box. Fun place to watch a hockey game (if the Stanley Cup playoffs are on). Otherwise, you might just want to stick with a touristy-pub ("The Black Rose" comes to mind, right in Faneuil Hall - they always seem to have awesome live Irish music and the place is always packed.) Seafood - Someone mentioned Legal's Seafood, you can't miss with that. I loved a place called The Sail Locker right on the waterfront (Commercial St.), but I'm not sure if it's still there post Big Dig :(

Don't get suckered into the whale-watching crap. Stand behind a big rig (for the diesel fumes) on a barrel (simulate wave action) and have your wife splash some salt water on your face (the ocean)...the experience is quite similar (assuming there weren’t any whales being towed by the big rig).

LOTS of things to do just a hop, skip, and jump away, too!

World's End - Hingham, MA

The Cape/Hyannis/Provincetown

Plymouth (if you haven’t seen Plymouth Rock yet, don’t fret it – you probably have a rock somewhere in your yard that’s bigger)

Gloucester (the number of names on the Fishermen’s Memorial is just mind-blowing) 

Enjoy! August is a great time to visit Beantown and the surrounding cities- uber-jealous!!!
Suddenly, it all makes sense: "ND produces enough sugarbeets that produce enough sugar to sweeten 27 billion gallons of Kool-Aid." ND Fun Facts :ahhh:

Neely
Golden
Golden

Travel - Chicago

Post by Neely » Wed May 11 4:56 pm

Heading to Chicago in August. Planning to take in both the Cubs and White Sox. Looking for advice on where to sit. Realize at the Cubs game it will cost me two months pay to get close to the field so rather than telling me where to sit, might be better to suggest where not to sit. No real interest in sitting with the crazies as I'll have my teenage daughter along. I assume I'll be able to get pretty good seats for the Sox at a decent price.

Also, need help with transportation. We'll be staying not too far from Grant Park so I think the "L" is an option for the Sox game but not sure about the Cubs. We will have a car but if there are public transport options we are more than happy to go that route.

I think we are going to try and do the Cub/White Sox-day/night double header. Can't wait.

Thanks for your help.
I know what I know. I know what I don't know. But I don't know what I don't know.

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Travel - Chicago

Post by HockeyBum » Wed May 11 5:45 pm

Neely wrote:Heading to Chicago in August. Planning to take in both the Cubs and White Sox. Looking for advice on where to sit. Realize at the Cubs game it will cost me two months pay to get close to the field so rather than telling me where to sit, might be better to suggest where not to sit. No real interest in sitting with the crazies as I'll have my teenage daughter along. I assume I'll be able to get pretty good seats for the Sox at a decent price.

My one and only visit to Wrigley was back in 2002. I can't remember how we got the tickets, but we sat in left field pretty close to the foul pole. I wouldn't recommend sitting there. The seats themselves weren't bad, but there were only about 3-4 rows in that section, so it felt a bit isolated. I think I would have enjoyed the Wrigley experience better if I was more "in the middle of it", so to speak.

On another note, I'll be going to Montreal next month for work. Has anyone been there? Any recommendations for things to see near the downtown area?

rowshkex
Veteran

Post by rowshkex » Wed May 11 7:32 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Neely wrote:Heading to Chicago in August. Planning to take in both the Cubs and White Sox. Looking for advice on where to sit. Realize at the Cubs game it will cost me two months pay to get close to the field so rather than telling me where to sit, might be better to suggest where not to sit. No real interest in sitting with the crazies as I'll have my teenage daughter along. I assume I'll be able to get pretty good seats for the Sox at a decent price.

My one and only visit to Wrigley was back in 2002. I can't remember how we got the tickets, but we sat in left field pretty close to the foul pole. I wouldn't recommend sitting there. The seats themselves weren't bad, but there were only about 3-4 rows in that section, so it felt a bit isolated. I think I would have enjoyed the Wrigley experience better if I was more "in the middle of it", so to speak.

On another note, I'll be going to Montreal next month for work. Has anyone been there? Any recommendations for things to see near the downtown area?

We didn't spend a lot of time in Montreal when I was there, but for scenery, drive up Mount Royal and check out the city from the hill--pretty neat if you ask me... I'd say go to a Canadiens game, but... (Not only that, but beer is ten dollars there for a Molson--not my idea of a good investment)
is rice chex.
is not Raphael.
is not quite Rau.
is not a hockey mind.
is a 1 time GPL Pick 'Em Weekly Non-Winner Tiebreaker Champion.
GPL's Resident Popcorn Popper :popcorn:

Golden FE Ranger
Golden
Golden

Post by Golden FE Ranger » Wed May 11 8:53 pm

Hopefully this is not too late. Stop by P.J. Clarke's for a beer and a hamburger. You will not be disappointed. It is where "Old Blue Eyes" hung out.
http://pjclarkes.com/history/
President GWB said, "And it seems like Minnesota is pretty good at hockey, too."

"I think in the best interest of his career, he definitely would benefit from playing one more year of college," Gretzky said.

st8ofhockey
Golden
Golden

Post by st8ofhockey » Wed May 11 9:01 pm

HockeyBum wrote:

Old Montreal is great for walking/sightseeing. Architecture dating back to the early 19th Century, and great site context being so close to the waterfront. It's a good way to kill an hour or two without being tied to a schedule.

Golden FE Ranger
Golden
Golden

Post by Golden FE Ranger » Wed May 11 9:36 pm

There is so much to do, and Dances gave you a great list. I really enjoyed going out to Gloucester to see the Fisherman's Memorial. If you do, stop in and have a drink at the Crow's Nest. I went a couple years ago in September for a long weekend with the wife. We did the Freedom Trail and she really enjoyed it. I did too, but had seen the sights on a prior visit. We also walked along Hanover Street through Boston's Little Italy and had a great meal in a small authentic place. I think it was Bella Vista, but I could be wrong. There are many options, and I doubt you could go wrong. As a trivia buff, it might be fun to go to the Bell in Hand. Many consider it the oldest bar in the US.

The thing that really stands out in our memories of the trip was actually leaving Boston. We had a rental car, so we headed North and in just about 90 mins we were in the Kennebunkport, ME area. We stayed in a little place in Wells and had a great day. The drive was really nice and the area was beautiful. Caveat - we are not extremely "city" orientated and enjoyed the day away. We felt like we had an adequate amount of time to see our top choices in Boston in the two nights there, and did the side trip on a whim. Like I said, for us, it was the highlight and I would suggest it to anyone. I would get up early one morning, get a large cup of coffee and some donut holes from Dunkin' Donuts and you will be up there in time for a lobster roll lunch.

I hope you have a great trip!
President GWB said, "And it seems like Minnesota is pretty good at hockey, too."

"I think in the best interest of his career, he definitely would benefit from playing one more year of college," Gretzky said.

eHo
Golden
Golden

Post by eHo » Wed May 11 9:54 pm

Neely wrote:Also, need help with transportation. We'll be staying not too far from Grant Park so I think the "L" is an option for the Sox game but not sure about the Cubs. We will have a car but if there are public transport options we are more than happy to go that route.

I believe the "L" Red Line will get you a couple of blocks from Wrigley.

Eckes
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Eckes » Thu May 12 6:55 am

eHo wrote:
Neely wrote:Also, need help with transportation. We'll be staying not too far from Grant Park so I think the "L" is an option for the Sox game but not sure about the Cubs. We will have a car but if there are public transport options we are more than happy to go that route.

It gets packed right after the game, though... just be aware of that! :)
Formerly known as The X Factor
Gopher Hockey: Minnesota's Pride on Ice
National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Pride on Ice Blog: http://prideoniceblog.blogspot.com (click on the ads!)
Founding Member of the :ahhh: Fan Club - Est. 9/15/2010
2010 GPL Fantasy Baseball Champion

Eckes
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Eckes » Thu May 12 6:57 am

st8ofhockey wrote:
HockeyBum wrote:

Old Montreal is great for walking/sightseeing. Architecture dating back to the early 19th Century, and great site context being so close to the waterfront. It's a good way to kill an hour or two without being tied to a schedule.

Seconded, Old Montreal is awesome. Had a very Paris feel to me. IIRC they had some of the buildings lit up art-deco style in the evening / at night. Don't remember anything more specific than just walking around and taking in the city.
Formerly known as The X Factor
Gopher Hockey: Minnesota's Pride on Ice
National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Pride on Ice Blog: http://prideoniceblog.blogspot.com (click on the ads!)
Founding Member of the :ahhh: Fan Club - Est. 9/15/2010
2010 GPL Fantasy Baseball Champion

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Handyman » Mon May 16 11:54 am

June 1st I am going to Scotland for 8 days...I can't wait :)
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

Riff Raff
Golden
Golden

Post by Riff Raff » Mon May 16 12:04 pm

The X Factor wrote:
eHo wrote:

It gets packed right after the game, though... just be aware of that! :)

...also be aware there's like 200 bars around Wrigley where you can kill some time rather than waiting in line for the L. :beerchug:

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Mon May 16 1:11 pm

Handyman wrote:June 1st I am going to Scotland for 8 days...I can't wait :)

Hope you've practiced your ability to understand people who speak something that sounds like english, but you can only guess at what they're saying because only every 5th word makes sense :lol: It's one place I haven't had the opportunity to visit yet so I'd love to hear about it when you get back.

We were in northern England a few years back and the cabbie we called most of our trip was Scottish. His accent was about as thick as anything I've ever heard. Sometimes it felt like he was speaking english and other times who knows what.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon May 16 1:25 pm

Oh I have been warned :) I figure I will nod and smile a lot and throw in insults to Mel Gibson since I hear they don't much like him there ;)

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 7 times

Post by HockeyBum » Thu Jun 02 10:03 pm

st8ofhockey wrote:Old Montreal is great for walking/sightseeing. Architecture dating back to the early 19th Century, and great site context being so close to the waterfront. It's a good way to kill an hour or two without being tied to a schedule.

Good recommendation. I spent an hour or so walking around Old Montreal this afternoon.

Quebec must be the New Jersey of Canada. I saw 3 different women wearing frosted jeans today. No Zubaz sightings though.

Ballz
Veteran

Post by Ballz » Fri Jun 03 12:40 am

I'm traveling to China for 10 days or so in December. Beijing for sure, not sure where else yet. Any thoughts on must see, eat, do, etc.?

Greyeagle
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Jun 14 8:31 pm

Chicago.
Would you stay in town and take the train/bus everywhere (including The Cell & Wrigley) or stay our of town and take the train into town? Hotel suggestions? Looks like it will cost $50/night just for a car downtown at most places.

Thanks!

If Ford is to Chevrolet What Dodge is to Chrysler / What Corn Flakes are to Post Toasties
What the clear blue sky is to the deep blue sea / What Hank Williams is to Neil Armstrong
Can you doubt we were made for each other

Kelor
Golden
Golden

Post by Kelor » Tue Jun 14 9:00 pm

If it's a parking cost thing, consider keeping your car in the outskirts (Northwestern Campus area in Evanston maybe?) and take a train into the city for your weekend.

Once you are in Chicago, there is zero reason to have a car.

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Tue Jun 14 9:18 pm

BWCA - we're thinking of doing the Rose Lake loop (has anyone else ever done it before?) Is this too ambitious for a 4-day trip plan?:

Put in at West Bearskin Lake --> Duncan Lake --> Rose Lake --> Daniels Lake --> West Bearskin Lake.

Usually, I put in out of Ely, so I'm a bit nervous going up to this side for the first time...
Suddenly, it all makes sense: "ND produces enough sugarbeets that produce enough sugar to sweeten 27 billion gallons of Kool-Aid." ND Fun Facts :ahhh:

Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Armadillo » Tue Jun 14 9:23 pm

Kelor wrote:If it's a parking cost thing, consider keeping your car in the outskirts (Northwestern Campus area in Evanston maybe?) and take a train into the city for your weekend.

Once you are in Chicago, there is zero reason to have a car.

Not true. What if the heat shake you down for runnin' hooch? You might have to 23 skidoo!

/end of awful attempt at mobster humor
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

Golden FE Ranger
Golden
Golden

Post by Golden FE Ranger » Tue Jun 14 9:30 pm

Greyeagle wrote:Chicago.
Would you stay in town and take the train/bus everywhere (including The Cell & Wrigley) or stay our of town and take the train into town? Hotel suggestions? Looks like it will cost $50/night just for a car downtown at most places.

Thanks!

How long are you staying? The reason I ask is most of the Downtown places are pretty steep price-wise. For a couple of nights/wkend, I would stay right downtown. Otherwise, there are some nice hotel/resort type places in the burbs that are pretty cost effective. Two summers ago my wife and I went with another couple. We stayed at the DoubleTree downtown and had a good time. Went to Wrigley via the train, did the Navy Pier thing at night and some shopping and dining. It was all very convenient but the rooms were north of $200 a night.

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Jun 20 9:45 pm

Thanks all.
Turns out my wife can't go next week so I dialed it back and just my son and I are heading down early Sunday for an afternoon Sox game, spend the night and go to Wrigley Monday afternoon before driving home. Decided to stay near the Skokie park and ride and take the train to both games.

The whole family plans to head back to Chi-town later this summer.

If Ford is to Chevrolet What Dodge is to Chrysler / What Corn Flakes are to Post Toasties
What the clear blue sky is to the deep blue sea / What Hank Williams is to Neil Armstrong

Tee09
Golden
Golden

Post by Tee09 » Mon Jun 20 10:09 pm

Dances With Gophers wrote:BWCA - we're thinking of doing the Rose Lake loop (has anyone else ever done it before?) Is this too ambitious for a 4-day trip plan?:

Put in at West Bearskin Lake --> Duncan Lake --> Rose Lake --> Daniels Lake --> West Bearskin Lake.

Usually, I put in out of Ely, so I'm a bit nervous going up to this side for the first time...

I think it's doable. Not a whole lot of portages involved, but is there a maintained trail between Rose and Daniels? That's the only leg that looks like it could hurt. I've been wanting to get back up there for awhile, but I need to get back into college shape so it'll be enjoyable.

The East side is beautiful btw. Lot more trout lakes and you get the added bonus of driving up 61 all the way to Grand Marais.

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Tue Jun 21 6:29 am

Tee09 wrote:
Dances With Gophers wrote:BWCA - we're thinking of doing the Rose Lake loop (has anyone else ever done it before?) Is this too ambitious for a 4-day trip plan?:

I think it's doable. Not a whole lot of portages involved, but is there a maintained trail between Rose and Daniels? That's the only leg that looks like it could hurt. I've been wanting to get back up there for awhile, but I need to get back into college shape so it'll be enjoyable.

The East side is beautiful btw. Lot more trout lakes and you get the added bonus of driving up 61 all the way to Grand Marais.

There is-it's uber-long (~2 miles) but mercifully flat.

Hoping to fish while I'm up there - I want to catch my first (monster) laker, but i've read that they bite best in the spring and fall, not so much in the summer months :anger:

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Tue Jun 21 8:41 am

Dances With Gophers wrote:
Tee09 wrote:

There is-it's uber-long (~2 miles) but mercifully flat.

Hoping to fish while I'm up there - I want to catch my first (monster) laker, but i've read that they bite best in the spring and fall, not so much in the summer months :anger:

I don't think there is a maintained trail between Rose and Daniels. So you might have to loop back around. The portage between Duncan and Rose is the stairway portage and might be a bit challenging, but has some great views from the top there. Seems doable for a 4 day trip though.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by g-manpuck » Tue Jun 21 1:58 pm

Big trip planned at the end of the week. Taking the family through the Black Hills and then on to Estes Park, Colorado where my wife's parents retired to a couple years ago. We are going to take in the Corn Palace and Wall Drug on the drive out on Friday and staying in Keystone that night. We are going to check out Mount Rushmore Friday night as well. Saturday morning we are going to Hot Springs to see the Mammoth Site there. The kids are going to partake in the junior paleontologist dig there as well. That afternoon we head to Estes Park for a week and return home before the 4th of July to relax before going back to work.

I'm pretty pumped since we have never really taken a family vacation like this before with the kids, could be good...could be bad. But the timing couldn't be better, after a super stressful last three months of work I will take on anything NOT work related right now!!
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by george » Tue Jun 21 2:11 pm

g_manpucker wrote:Big trip planned at the end of the week. Taking the family through the Black Hills and then on to Estes Park, Colorado where my wife's parents retired to a couple years ago. We are going to take in the Corn Palace and Wall Drug on the drive out on Friday and staying in Keystone that night. We are going to check out Mount Rushmore Friday night as well. Saturday morning we are going to Hot Springs to see the Mammoth Site there. The kids are going to partake in the junior paleontologist dig there as well. That afternoon we head to Estes Park for a week and return home before the 4th of July to relax before going back to work.

I'm pretty pumped since we have never really taken a family vacation like this before with the kids, could be good...could be bad. But the timing couldn't be better, after a super stressful last three months of work I will take on anything NOT work related right now!!

If you can manage it, I recommend going to Rushmore during the day and for the lighting ceremony at dusk. Very cool. Have fun!

Norm
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Norm » Wed Jun 22 9:03 am

g_manpucker wrote:Big trip planned at the end of the week. Taking the family through the Black Hills and then on to Estes Park, Colorado where my wife's parents retired to a couple years ago. We are going to take in the Corn Palace and Wall Drug on the drive out on Friday and staying in Keystone that night. We are going to check out Mount Rushmore Friday night as well. Saturday morning we are going to Hot Springs to see the Mammoth Site there. The kids are going to partake in the junior paleontologist dig there as well. That afternoon we head to Estes Park for a week and return home before the 4th of July to relax before going back to work.

Estes Park is one of the most scenic places on Earth. I assume you'll go to Rocky Mountain National Park. I wonder if the Old Fall River Road is still open? It's a thrilling one way drive winding your way up the mountain.

HockeyCat

Post by HockeyCat » Fri Jun 24 10:14 am

I'm quite aware that I should be posting an introductory thread (My name's Liliana, by the way), but I'm pretty shy when it comes to introductions. I like to dive into the conversation and get to know everyone.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying everyone's travel reviews. I haven't gotten to do much traveling yet, but having this new job has opened up a lot of doors for me. Perhaps I'll take everyone's suggestions and see what I can whip up in a few months. Maybe I'll find a travel agent to help me out. Has anyone ever used angies list to find travel agent reviews?

Welp, I'm rambling. I'm enjoying these travel suggestions. Keep em' comin'! =D
Liliana

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Fri Jun 24 12:08 pm

HockeyCat wrote:I'm quite aware that I should be posting an introductory thread (My name's Liliana, by the way), but I'm pretty shy when it comes to introductions. I like to dive into the conversation and get to know everyone.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying everyone's travel reviews. I haven't gotten to do much traveling yet, but having this new job has opened up a lot of doors for me. Perhaps I'll take everyone's suggestions and see what I can whip up in a few months. Maybe I'll find a travel agent to help me out. Has anyone ever used angies list to find travel agent reviews?

Welp, I'm rambling. I'm enjoying these travel suggestions. Keep em' comin'! =D

A couple GPLers have wives who are travel agents. I'm sure also if you have specific locations you eventually go there's someone here who has been there.

And welcome to GPL :)

solar
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 6 times

Post by solar » Fri Jun 24 12:27 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:I don't think there is a maintained trail between Rose and Daniels. So you might have to loop back around. The portage between Duncan and Rose is the stairway portage and might be a bit challenging, but has some great views from the top there. Seems doable for a 4 day trip though.

Stairway Portage on your way into Rose Lake from Duncan Lake is challenging but beautiful. It is mostly downhill this way, and a big uphill on the way back if I recall correctly. Take a few minutes along the portage to hop into the stream and sit in the small waterfalls - it is very refreshing!

DWG: The Gunflint Trail area is a little less traveled in my opinion, so it is a little quieter and feels a bit more secluded than the Ely area.

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Fri Jun 24 1:02 pm

We just found out that we're now putting in at Saganaga Lake...which I guess is a good thing since we're taking a 6y.o. with us; although, I won't like the crowded atmosphere (relatively speaking, that is...) Oh well. Maybe next year we'll do the Stairway Portage - the pics look awesome!

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by g-manpuck » Sat Jun 25 7:25 am

The G-man, me, and my daughter Belle at Mount Rushmore last night. We didn't stay for the lighting up of the monument, we were too tired. Though Mt. Rushmore is one of top things I have ever seen in my life. I am glad we took this route to my in-laws place in Colorado. I will be adding more pics to my album of this sometime soon.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Sat Jun 25 8:26 am

Though Mt. Rushmore is one of top things I have ever seen in my life.

You've obviously never been here then.

http://www.darwintwineball.com/twineball.html

p.s. Simple pleasure is parents who call there kids something other than their name (i.e. G-Man)

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Jun 26 10:18 am

This is a couple weeks late but...if you ever have a chance to go to Scotland DO IT! I had a blast and the scenery was so amazing it blew my mind. The people were great (I actually had no issue with the accent, even in the Highlands) the food was delicious (mmm...Haggis!!) and the pubs were outstanding :D Add in some cool history and lots of bagpipes and it equals an epic WIN!

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Sun Jun 26 9:30 pm

Handyman wrote:This is a couple weeks late but...if you ever have a chance to go to Scotland DO IT! I had a blast and the scenery was so amazing it blew my mind. The people were great (I actually had no issue with the accent, even in the Highlands) the food was delicious (mmm...Haggis!!) and the pubs were outstanding :D Add in some cool history and lots of bagpipes and it equals an epic WIN!

And, of course, Single Malts!

greydogg
Golden
Golden

Post by greydogg » Mon Jun 27 8:28 am

I am going to the UP of Michigan for the first time in a week, I will be in Houghton/Hancock area for a couple days then making it over to Sault Ste Marie area for a couple more. I need suggestions on must see places and eats.....thanks!
Married a F'n Hawks Fan...

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Jun 27 8:39 am

Greyeagle wrote:

And, of course, Single Malts!

I went to a pub that had 200 single malt whiskeys :shock:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by The Rube » Mon Jun 27 8:45 am

greydogg wrote:I am going to the UP of Michigan for the first time in a week, I will be in Houghton/Hancock area for a couple days then making it over to Sault Ste Marie area for a couple more. I need suggestions on must see places and eats.....thanks!

Suomi's in Houghton is a great breakfast place. Their Finnish bread is awesome.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

kmd
Veteran

Post by kmd » Mon Jun 27 4:53 pm

greydogg wrote:I am going to the UP of Michigan for the first time in a week, I will be in Houghton/Hancock area for a couple days then making it over to Sault Ste Marie area for a couple more. I need suggestions on must see places and eats.....thanks!

Seeing the Soo Locks in action is a must for Sault Ste Marie.

Kelor
Golden
Golden

Post by Kelor » Mon Jun 27 5:04 pm

The train ride up north from Sault Ste Marie is fun.

Armadillo
Golden
Golden

Post by Armadillo » Mon Jun 27 6:25 pm

Ambassador for pizza/subs.
The Lunch Bag has good sandwiches/burgers/lunchy stuff.
The wife and I like Victoria's Kitchen for breakfast.
The Library has more "upscale" food, for Houghton at least. Good microbrews, as well.

In the wintertime, the main parking lot at the MacInnes Student Ice Arena has been known to have some fine brews on tap. :mrgreen:
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by The Rube » Mon Jun 27 8:16 pm

Armadillo wrote:

Ambassador for pizza/subs.
The Lunch Bag has good sandwiches/burgers/lunchy stuff.
The wife and I like Victoria's Kitchen for breakfast.
The Library has more "upscale" food, for Houghton at least. Good microbrews, as well.

In the wintertime, the main parking lot at the MacInnes Student Ice Arena has been known to have some fine brews on tap. :mrgreen:

The Library also has a certain Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Ale that some of us are very familiar with; that's what I was told, anyway. :wink:

I second the Ambassador for pizza. The taco pizza is very tasty.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd