The new GPL chat is as basic as it gets. It's an IRC based chat. Currently only registered users can get to the page where the chat is located... Now sure it's basic and has no frills, but it is fast and uses an outside server. So it will not upset my provider and it will not bring the site to a crawl. You can also access the chat via an IRC client on iOS or Android.
You can get to the chat via the "Community" menu up top. (must be logged in)
A few things: (Updated 11/3)
- Only registered will be able to access the chat page. In fact, you will not even see the "Live Chat" selection in the community menu unless you are logged in.
- When you go to the chat page, it should automatically enter your username. Just click connect and you are good to go.
- I am guessing you can use chat with a browser on Android or iOS, but I recommend using an IRC Chat App on those platforms. It will just work better. Send me a PM if you want connection information for an IRC App.
- If you want to have a private chat with someone that is online, just click their name in the online list and select "query". This will open a separate tab up top with the person you want to have a private chat with.
- In the upper left corner there is a drop down menu. In the options menu you can make a few changes if you like. I recommend checking the boxes that I have checked in the attached photo, including the color. I highly recommend checking the "Automatically color nicknames" box.