Report: Ness To Forgo Senior Season

This is where the Home Page Articles reside

Postby Cardinal » Mon 3/14/11 3:42 pm

Aaron Ness decides to leave 'U'.
Photo by Craig Cotner
According to multiple reports, including a Tweet from @hammyhockey, Gophers junior defensemen Aaron Ness has decided to forgo his final season of eligibility and will sign with the New York Islanders, the team that drafted him in the second round of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

The University of Minnesota has yet to confirm nor deny the reports.

Ness came to the Gophers after becoming a star defenseman while playing for Roseau. He was named Minnesota Mr. Hockey for the 2007-08 as a junior / senior as he accelerated his studies to join the U a year early. He helped lead the Rams to a AA state title in 2006-07 and became known to fans across the state for his offensive skill despite being very undersized. He was listed at 5-10, 170 lbs. as a freshman at the U.

Ness had 17 points in his freshman season – including two goals – and appeared as though he was poised to take some big steps as his career as a Gopher went on. However, the team as a whole struggled to score big-time in the next two seasons, so Ness never developed into that next offensive superstar defensemen that Gopher fans thought he may be while watching him tear things up at Roseau.

As a sophomore, he had just two goals and ten assists. In his final season as a third-year player, he had two goals and 14 assists, ending his Gopher career with 43 points in 111 games.

His play in his own end improved as time went on and as he got physically stronger, but in the end he turned into another Minnesota player that excelled at neither end of the ice and wasn’t big enough to make a physical impact. Perhaps on Gopher teams of the past that had way more skill and better coaching, he could have been an elite defenseman, but that opportunity never presented itself during his tenure here for a variety of reasons.

Ness has a long road to go before he ever graces an NHL rink given his size, but hopefully he’s able to crack an NHL lineup at some point down the road.

For the Gophers, it leaves when without three of their top six defensemen from this past season’s team heading into next year, as seniors Cade Fairchild and Kevin Wehrs also depart. Fairchild and Ness were by far the team’s best puck-movers, so look for that to be an issue come next fall.

Chris Student, who transferred to the U from Northeastern and sat out this past season, will join the team this fall as a sophomore and it also an undersized, puck-moving type d-man. He was listed at 5-9, 170 lbs. this past season.

Seth Helgeson will be a junior while four guys – Mark Alt, Justin Holl, Nate Schmidt, and Jake Parenteau – are slated to be sophomores this fall. Ben Marshall will be an 18-year-old freshman this fall after having played this past season for Omaha in the USHL. The team will likely look to bring in another older freshman defender with junior hockey experience at some point to fill the somewhat unexpected departure of Ness, who had offers to leave last offseason. Head Coach Don Lucia was recently quoted though saying he didn’t expect any early departures.
Last edited by Cardinal on Tue 3/15/11 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cardinal
Golden

Re: Report: Ness To Forgo Senior Season

Postby Armadillo » Mon 3/14/11 4:10 pm

I can't blame him. Good luck to Aaron at the next level, if this is proven true.
Armadillo
Golden

Postby Neely » Mon 3/14/11 4:59 pm

Wow, really saddens me. Thought he really came into his own and was looking forward to seeing him make a huge contribution as a senior. Best of luck to him, however.
Neely
Golden

Postby ScoobyDoo » Mon 3/14/11 5:22 pm

Why does Roman's tweet at 4:55 or so say:
Rumors swirling that jr. D-man Aaron Ness of Gophers has decided to turn pro and sign with NY Islanders. Trying to confirm it.
ScoobyDoo
Golden

Postby trixR4kids » Mon 3/14/11 5:29 pm

I wonder if this is what Lucia's press conference will address.
trixR4kids
Legend

Postby thinkbui » Mon 3/14/11 5:35 pm

That's what I was thinking too over in Jup's Lucia thread.
thinkbui
Addict

Postby Orion » Mon 3/14/11 5:37 pm

I'm just posting to try and bring down the server! :crazy:
Orion
Golden

Postby Dances With Gophers » Mon 3/14/11 6:13 pm

Orion wrote:I'm just posting to try and bring down the server! :crazy:

:lol:
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEFub_ZkiS2ssO10n_Cxgji2AunBe2Ak4a3qKqBuxjuH4kh12YvQ
Dances With Gophers
Golden

Postby Beauner » Mon 3/14/11 6:39 pm

Dances With Gophers wrote:
Orion wrote:I'm just posting to try and bring down the server! :crazy:

:lol:
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEFub_ZkiS2ssO10n_Cxgji2AunBe2Ak4a3qKqBuxjuH4kh12YvQ

DWG is on fire today! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Beauner
Golden

Postby gophsb2b » Mon 3/14/11 6:40 pm

Ness may be a super kid but he has no shot to play in the NHL with guys that will pick him up and move him out of the way or simply will run him over to get to the net. How many 5'9' 170lb defensemen are there in the NHL. Stay and get your degree, the AHL isn't going anywhere.
gophsb2b
Golden

Postby clarkegs » Mon 3/14/11 6:52 pm

Didn't seem to be a problem for Phil Housley, Curt Giles, etc.
clarkegs

Postby gophsb2b » Mon 3/14/11 7:08 pm

If you think Aaron Ness is equal to Phil Housley that is your opinion. Mine is that if he was he would have been a wee bit more productive in college. Only time will tell but I can be pretty sure he has no shot at NHL next year.
gophsb2b
Golden

Postby ND GOPHER » Mon 3/14/11 7:18 pm

gophsb2b wrote:Ness may be a super kid but he has no shot to play in the NHL with guys that will pick him up and move him out of the way or simply will run him over to get to the net. How many 5'9' 170lb defensemen are there in the NHL. Stay and get your degree, the AHL isn't going anywhere.

Couldnt agree more...and when he fails they will blame the U...not to mention the fact that no body from those Roseau teams had outstanding college careers...Mike Lee is having an ok career in St. Cloud and Nick Oliver is in his 3rd (2nd full) season in the USHL and playing on the 3rd line (6 pts)...ever think that maybe those NHL locks in Roseau just werent that good?
ND GOPHER

Postby DMP » Mon 3/14/11 8:35 pm

clarkegs wrote:Didn't seem to be a problem for Phil Housley, Curt Giles, etc.

Housley last played in 2003, and Giles' last year was 1993. The game is a tad different now.
DMP
Rookie

Postby clarkegs » Mon 3/14/11 9:05 pm

gophsb2b wrote:Only time will tell but I can be pretty sure he has no shot at NHL next year.

I agree, probably not within the next 2 years. The game will always have a place for a player of his quickness, intellegence and hands, both puckhandling and poke checking.

Never said it was a good move for him to turn pro. He needs another 2-3 years to put on some mass.
clarkegs

Postby pevan » Mon 3/14/11 10:32 pm

I see no upside for Ness in leaving other than to get into the Islander's system. Once again Garth Snow rears his head and poaches the Gopher program because he doesn't like Lucia. Ness has no shot at the NHL for at least two years. Stay and get your degree. You'll need it when your short career in pro hockey is over.
pevan

Postby Ursa Major » Tue 3/15/11 6:21 am

pevan wrote:I see no upside for Ness in leaving other than to get into the Islander's system. Once again Garth Snow rears his head and poaches the Gopher program because he doesn't like Lucia. Ness has no shot at the NHL for at least two years. Stay and get your degree. You'll need it when your short career in pro hockey is over.

If you remember Ness even came out of high school early. Not sure what Ness is thinking here. Why does he think he is ready for the NHL, he hasn't even mastered the WCHA. It is obvious he does not value a college education or he is just waiting to finish it. It is a lot harder to go back later. He has been fun to watch however his skill set did not prove to take us any where worth going: (1) Final Five tournament, and (2) Frozen Four so you could say he was not a good choice for a recruit IMHO. His three goal per year average really didn't add much to our goal scoring capabilities. His lack of size was a huge liability when teams muscled their way into our goalie and forced the puck into the net through shear brute force. When is Lucia going to get the fact that small defenseman are not worth it. Wehrs is another case of a small defenseman not being effective at this level. The Gophers seem to be a haven for small defenseman who other WCHA programs do not want and small forwards with no scoring capability such as Joey Miller, Evan Kaufman, Nico Sacchetti, Tom Serratore, and Patrick White and now the soon to be Gophers the Reilly boys. Please Lucia leave before you do anymore damage to this struggling program.
Ursa Major
Rookie

Postby Gopherguy33 » Tue 3/15/11 7:28 am

Maybe he, his advisors and the Islanders want to see how he does with competent coaching and defensive partner. They may be hopeful he raises to their level. It obvious he doesnt raise the level of those around him like a Bjugstad or Alt.
Gopherguy33
Golden

Postby Gopherguy33 » Tue 3/15/11 7:34 am

Ursa Major wrote:
pevan wrote:I see no upside for Ness in leaving other than to get into the Islander's system. Once again Garth Snow rears his head and poaches the Gopher program because he doesn't like Lucia. Ness has no shot at the NHL for at least two years. Stay and get your degree. You'll need it when your short career in pro hockey is over.

If you remember Ness even came out of high school early. Not sure what Ness is thinking here. Why does he think he is ready for the NHL, he hasn't even mastered the WCHA. It is obvious he does not value a college education or he is just waiting to finish it. It is a lot harder to go back later. He has been fun to watch however his skill set did not prove to take us any where worth going: (1) Final Five tournament, and (2) Frozen Four so you could say he was not a good choice for a recruit IMHO. His three goal per year average really didn't add much to our goal scoring capabilities. His lack of size was a huge liability when teams muscled their way into our goalie and forced the puck into the net through shear brute force. When is Lucia going to get the fact that small defenseman are not worth it. Wehrs is another case of a small defenseman not being effective at this level. The Gophers seem to be a haven for small defenseman who other WCHA programs do not want and small forwards with no scoring capability such as Joey Miller, Evan Kaufman, Nico Sacchetti, Tom Serratore, and Patrick White and now the soon to be Gophers the Reilly boys. Please Lucia leave before you do anymore damage to this struggling program.

You may want to watch Marshall next year before judging the diminutive blue liners. In Omaha he looked years ahead of Ness. With sometimes frightening disregard for his body. He crashed the net and opposing forwards more in one game than Ness has in 3 years.
Gopherguy33
Golden

Postby gophsb2b » Tue 3/15/11 8:48 am

I missed all the state tourney games Marshall played in last year year but I am hoping he lives up to even part of the praises he is getting from people in the know. Small defensemen can be successful in this league. Curtis Murphy was pretty dynamite when I was wasting my life at UND. The problem is the Gophs have had a run of under-achieving defensemen. Also, no one stays at school anymore. A guy like Means was hardly anything until he blew up as a senior. Parents are teaching kids that hockey is their life and school is secondary. My wife teaches 5th grade in Wayzata and she has kids out "sick" because they had a big tourney that weekend or had a late practice the night before and couldn't get to their homework. It's the "nets around trampoline" society we are raising: bunch of me first pussies. Where have you gone Jordan Leopold? Gopher nation turns its lonely eyes to you (woo woo woo). Longest, meaningless rant ever. Usually I just lurk in the background.
gophsb2b
Golden

Postby 61ache » Tue 3/15/11 9:16 am

Ursa Major wrote:

I can take a guess at what he's thinking. If I have to play one more season listening to Hill, I'll kill myself. Combine that with Sam leaving last year, and Fairchild and Wehrs gone--my stock's been hurt enough. It looks like the Don's back next season, so I'm off to the AHL and take my chances cause one more year of being a Gopher and my career is done.
61ache

Postby 61ache » Tue 3/15/11 9:19 am

Gopherguy33 wrote:Maybe he, his advisors and the Islanders want to see how he does with competent coaching and defensive partner. They may be hopeful he raises to their level. It obvious he doesnt raise the level of those around him like a Bjugstad or Alt.

How could Ness not raise the talent around him but Alt could, when they were paired together? The circular logic almost made my head explode.
61ache

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Tue 3/15/11 9:25 am

Good riddance!
I'm not a fan.
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby gopher wes » Tue 3/15/11 9:52 am

Luckygirl#13 wrote:Good riddance!
I'm not a fan.

This.

I have never understood the praise Ness gets around here.
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Cardinal » Tue 3/15/11 9:53 am

gopher wes wrote:
I'm not a fan.

This.

I have never understood the praise Ness gets around here.

I don't think people are overly kind to him here, but rather he's the lesser of two (or more) evils since there aren't too many d-men I would have rather had out there last year or especially next year with him as a senior.
Cardinal
Golden

Postby nwmngopherfan » Tue 3/15/11 10:11 am

I'm really new to this board - read it faithfully, but I don't live in the Twin Cities and so I'm a little bit "out of the loop" so to speak, when it comes to hot topics, such as this. However, I watched Aaron Ness play through all of high school and he really was "all that." His skating ability (still is crazy-good) and is hockey sense were crazy-good. Notice the "was" and the "were" I used? I still think that hockey sense is there, but it's confused.

I am not an idiot and realize high school and hockey are 2 different things. However, I believe that if Aaron had been told the right things about coming in early (and if he didn't buy it, so be it and let him go) and then coached by a competent defensive coach, who was respected by his players (you can not like a guy and still have respect for him - I'm told Hill is neither liked nor respected) and who was overseen by a head coach that wouldn't stand for mediocrity, from his players or assistants, we would be talking about a completely different Aaron Ness.

I don't know if leaving the Gophers is the right answer for Ness, but how can you even blame the kid for considering it. We all hate Hill and want him canned. Imagine having to play under him? And, for the head coach that put Hill in that position in the first place? I'm sure in Aaron's eyes, his career can't get any worse.
nwmngopherfan

Postby nwmngopherfan » Tue 3/15/11 10:12 am

edit - 2nd paragraph: should say "high school and college hockey."
nwmngopherfan

Postby gopher_fan_in_sue_land » Tue 3/15/11 10:36 am

I, for one, am disappointed to see Ness leave. I think that he was burdened by a lot of unfair expectations and many of his talents and attributes as a player were not allowed to flourish due to the circumstances surrounding the teams he played on. He was an offfensive defensemen like Goligoski, EJ, Ballard, etc., but unlike those players, Ness never had the benefit of playing with true scorers in front of him, or with a capable, strong defensive defensmen along side him. The scoring and offensive skills of the forwards has dropped off precipitously since the days of Goligoski, and so has the depth of the defensive corps. Had Ness had the opportunity to play alongside a capable defensemen who was steady in the defensive zone, and the opportunity to play regularly with dynamic forwards (let alone on with those players on the powerplay) he would have had much better numbers and looked far better to the majority of the fan base. Unfortunately for the team, MN has lacked those players the past few years, and the weak points in Ness' game have been exploited more often than one would hope (even though he has been improving in the defensive zone and with his strength).

I was thinking that things looked up for him next year in his Sr season, but that is a non issue now. Hope he does well in the future.
gopher_fan_in_sue_land
Super Vet

Postby Gopherguy33 » Tue 3/15/11 11:07 am

61ache wrote:
Gopherguy33 wrote:Maybe he, his advisors and the Islanders want to see how he does with competent coaching and defensive partner. They may be hopeful he raises to their level. It obvious he doesnt raise the level of those around him like a Bjugstad or Alt.

How could Ness not raise the talent around him but Alt could, when they were paired together? The circular logic almost made my head explode.

Keep thinking about it....
Gopherguy33
Golden

Postby ex_goldy » Tue 3/15/11 11:22 am

I'll miss Ness. He came back to prove himself this year and his stock got higher. Last year was a disapointment and I commend him for wanting to leave on a higher note. He may not have been offered much if he left last year and he said he made the choice to come back another year so I hope he signed for something significant this year. He's skated his whole life and he was an exemplary nice guy with fans. For me it underscores how players need to make the move to the pros when the market is right for them, no mandates specifying the length of time they play in college. The comment he made about poor coaching should leave a dagger deeply inserted.
He was exciting to watch, he had a positive impact on Alt's game (A-hem), and when he'd enter the offensive zone adding another attacker who could move the puck and shoot well. Unfortunately the last play I'll remember him on is the UAA guy breaking away and Aaron still standing on the blue line looking back to his goal. He was pressing the zone, they had to try and score and I don't fault him at all.
ex_goldy
Golden

Postby Master_Shake » Tue 3/15/11 11:35 am

ex_goldy wrote:I'll miss Ness. He came back to prove himself this year and his stock got higher. Last year was a disapointment and I commend him for wanting to leave on a higher note. He may not have been offered much if he left last year and he said he made the choice to come back another year so I hope he signed for something significant this year. He's skated his whole life and he was an exemplary nice guy with fans. For me it underscores how players need to make the move to the pros when the market is right for them, no mandates specifying the length of time they play in college. The comment he made about poor coaching should leave a dagger deeply inserted.
He was exciting to watch, he had a positive impact on Alt's game (A-hem), and when he'd enter the offensive zone adding another attacker who could move the puck and shoot well. Unfortunately the last play I'll remember him on is the UAA guy breaking away and Aaron still standing on the blue line looking back to his goal. He was pressing the zone, they had to try and score and I don't fault him at all.

Did I miss something?
Master_Shake
Rookie

Postby Erik T » Tue 3/15/11 12:03 pm

I may say that a player didn't live up to my expectations, but it'll be a long time before I say "good riddance" to a seemingly nice enough kid quitting school early and making what many think is a poor life decision.

I wish Ness all the best, wherever his talents take him.
Erik T

Postby gopheritall » Tue 3/15/11 12:28 pm

Erik T wrote:I wish Ness all the best, wherever his talents take him.

Finally! For crying out load people. Not everyone is going to be the greatest player to ever don the M. How many Brian Bonin's are there out there?

Ness seems like a nice enough guy that put forth effort and was definitely one of our better defensive players this year. I can't fault anyone that wants to begin their career. Look around, the program is in disarray right now. There were some positives with the team but Ness has no idea what the offseason holds. If Hill as bad as people say, there is no reason not to see if things are better elsewhere.

Good luck Aaron. Your contribution is appreciated and you will always be a Gopher.
gopheritall
Golden

Postby ScoobyDoo » Tue 3/15/11 5:50 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:Why does Roman's tweet at 4:55 or so say:
Rumors swirling that jr. D-man Aaron Ness of Gophers has decided to turn pro and sign with NY Islanders. Trying to confirm it.

Nanne was just on Barrerio and he seems to think Ness is still a Gopher.
ScoobyDoo
Golden

Postby Beauner » Tue 3/15/11 6:38 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:Why does Roman's tweet at 4:55 or so say:

Nanne was just on Barrerio and he seems to think Ness is still a Gopher.

I haven't seen anything to confirm it yet either except for Hammy's sources.
Maybe Lucia will address it tomorrow.
Beauner
Golden

Postby Jupiter » Tue 3/15/11 6:48 pm

Lucia won't say anything until he actually signs a contract... So unless that happens by tomorrow morning, he won't address it.
Don't like how GPL is run? Get your own site if you don't like it!
Stop using Internet Explorer, it's for your own good!
Jupiter
The Bringer of Jollity

Postby Ursa Major » Tue 3/15/11 7:01 pm

Jupiter wrote:Lucia won't say anything until he actually signs a contract... So unless that happens by tomorrow morning, he won't address it.

Let's hope tomorrow he announces Penn State has offered him a position and he and Mario are going to
Happy Valley. Wouldn't that be sweet! Yes!
Ursa Major
Rookie

Postby dxmnkd316 » Tue 3/15/11 7:15 pm

Ursa Major wrote:
Jupiter wrote:Lucia won't say anything until he actually signs a contract... So unless that happens by tomorrow morning, he won't address it.

Let's hope tomorrow he announces Penn State has offered him a position and he and Mario are going to
Happy Valley. Wouldn't that be sweet! Yes!

Ah yes, losing a coach and a key recruit. Something to hope for... :roll:
dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby pukface » Tue 3/15/11 11:15 pm

I'm not a fan.

I thought I was the only one being way the heck out here in Colorado. I do wish him well, however, he is incredibly overrated in my view. The NHL game today is different than it was in the day of Giles/Housley. It is much more difficult to make a difference as an undersized D-man. His arrogance and ego are two reasons for the departure.
pukface

Postby dxmnkd316 » Tue 3/15/11 11:37 pm

pukface wrote:
I'm not a fan.

I thought I was the only one being way the heck out here in Colorado. I do wish him well, however, he is incredibly overrated in my view. The NHL game today is different than it was in the day of Giles/Housley. It is much more difficult to make a difference as an undersized D-man. His arrogance and ego are two reasons for the departure.

Arrogance and ego? Where did that come from?
dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby Chris Eckes » Wed 3/16/11 12:02 am

Ness was good... what's with all the vitriol? I'm with DX on this one.
Chris Eckes
Golden

Postby midevil bowievil » Wed 3/16/11 12:18 am

I hope he's not leaving for obvious reasons. If he is gone it's not because of a lucrative NHL contract. One could only believe he's leaving with a sour taste in his mouth.

People have mentioned the Islanders plucking guys early, well if it's based on talent will this player go too? I know he's a forward but don't you think he's got more size and possibly had a better year than Ness? I know I'm grabbing at straws but I just can't for the life of me figure why he would leave the U.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... ncode=TRUE
midevil bowievil
Rookie

Postby sunbone » Wed 3/16/11 8:03 am

gopheritall wrote:
Erik T wrote:I wish Ness all the best, wherever his talents take him.

Finally! For crying out load people. Not everyone is going to be the greatest player to ever don the M. How many Brian Bonin's are there out there?

Ness seems like a nice enough guy that put forth effort and was definitely one of our better defensive players this year. I can't fault anyone that wants to begin their career. Look around, the program is in disarray right now. There were some positives with the team but Ness has no idea what the offseason holds. If Hill as bad as people say, there is no reason not to see if things are better elsewhere.

Good luck Aaron. Your contribution is appreciated and you will always be a Gopher.

Agreed. I was critical of Ness and wished things had turned out better for him and the team in his time here. But I never thought once that Ness was dogging it out there. He gave his best for 3 years and I tip my cap and say thanks for your efforts and good luck. And I hope you get traded!
sunbone
Golden

Postby ScoobyDoo » Wed 3/16/11 8:39 am

Biggest problem for Ness is he's going from a college program that can't develop players to an NHL program that can't develop players. His best scenario is he gets traded as soon as possible.
ScoobyDoo
Golden

Postby matt4466 » Wed 3/16/11 9:10 am

Could someone post who the gophers play at home in conference next year? I thought there was some predetermined "pod" system or something in place that determines this. This will help me decide if I want to renew season tix. Great post btw.
matt4466

Postby frozen4champs » Wed 3/16/11 12:54 pm

During Roman's live chat, he said he just took a call that the Ness signing is very close. FWIW
frozen4champs
Golden

Postby Cardinal » Wed 3/16/11 1:06 pm

matt4466 wrote:Could someone post who the gophers play at home in conference next year? I thought there was some predetermined "pod" system or something in place that determines this. This will help me decide if I want to renew season tix. Great post btw.

Home - UND, Mankato, Tech, CC, BSU, UW, SCSU

Away - UMD, UAA, UW, UND, DU, UNO, SCSU

Not sure if the SCSU series will be home and home, but same difference...
Cardinal
Golden

Postby matt4466 » Wed 3/16/11 1:31 pm

Ryan Cardinal wrote:
matt4466 wrote:Could someone post who the gophers play at home in conference next year? I thought there was some predetermined "pod" system or something in place that determines this. This will help me decide if I want to renew season tix. Great post btw.

Thanks Ryan -

I hope they either stop the Holiday tournament next year or get some big time teams in here (BC, BU, Maine, UNH, Miami). No more AHA or bottom feeding CCHA teams. Its hard enough to get people to go to these games during new years weekend not to metion having to pay $35 a game to see Ferris State or RIT for the dwindeling season ticket holders.
matt4466

Postby Beauner » Wed 3/16/11 1:35 pm

matt4466 wrote:
Ryan Cardinal wrote:

Thanks Ryan -

I hope they either stop the Holiday tournament next year or get some big time teams in here (BC, BU, Maine, UNH, Miami). No more AHA or bottom feeding CCHA teams. Its hard enough to get people to go to these games during new years weekend not to metion having to pay $35 a game to see Ferris State or RIT for the dwindeling season ticket holders.

Do we not know the NC schedule for them yet? I never really paid attention to when the schedules were released before.
Beauner
Golden

Postby thinkbui » Wed 3/16/11 1:36 pm

matt4466 wrote:
Ryan Cardinal wrote:

Thanks Ryan -

Not to take this further off topic, but has the guest list been announced for the Classic? I thought it's usually known at least a year in advance.
thinkbui
Addict

Postby Jupiter » Wed 3/16/11 1:38 pm

Stick to Ness news please...
Don't like how GPL is run? Get your own site if you don't like it!
Stop using Internet Explorer, it's for your own good!
Jupiter
The Bringer of Jollity

Postby Fire Helmet Guy #26 » Wed 3/16/11 1:44 pm

Jupiter wrote:Stick to Ness news please...

You're about to be fired anyways, so shut up! :mrgreen: :wink: :wink:
Fire Helmet Guy #26
Golden

Postby greydogg » Wed 3/16/11 2:52 pm

greydogg
Golden

Postby Cardinal » Wed 3/16/11 2:55 pm

Beauner wrote:
matt4466 wrote:
Ryan Cardinal wrote:

Thanks Ryan -

Do we not know the NC schedule for them yet? I never really paid attention to when the schedules were released before.

They go to Alaska, so that means they get eight non-conference games. Two of them are at Michigan State in place of the Showcase, so then the other six will be home games. Two of them will be the Holiday Classic, but past that, not sure ... I would assume a cupcake series to open the year and a cupcake series near the end of the World Juniors.
Cardinal
Golden

Postby Fire Helmet Guy #26 » Wed 3/16/11 2:57 pm

Ryan Cardinal wrote:
Beauner wrote:
matt4466 wrote:
Ryan Cardinal wrote:

Thanks Ryan -

They go to Alaska, so that means they get eight non-conference games. Two of them are at Michigan State in place of the Showcase, so then the other six will be home games. Two of them will be the Holiday Classic, but past that, not sure ... I would assume a cupcake series to open the year and a cupcake series near the end of the World Juniors.

Maybe a couple games out East somewhere? Oh wait, Lucia is still coaching, that will never happen. :mrgreen:
Fire Helmet Guy #26
Golden

Postby g_manpucker » Wed 3/16/11 3:13 pm

Good luck to you Aaron, too bad you will just toil in the minors for minor league NHL team.
g_manpucker
Golden

Postby midevil bowievil » Wed 3/16/11 3:14 pm

That's a bummer for the U. Good luck Aaron.
midevil bowievil
Rookie

Postby ScoobyDoo » Wed 3/16/11 3:15 pm

Can't even keep the undersized guys who don't develop. Meanwhile UND is keeping just about everyone an extra season.
ScoobyDoo
Golden

Postby Armadillo » Wed 3/16/11 3:18 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:Can't even keep the undersized guys who don't develop. Meanwhile UND is keeping just about everyone an extra season.

This, more than anything else that has happened the last few seasons, burns me to hell.

The inevitable downturn for Sioux hockey is going to be an absolute hoot to watch.
Armadillo
Golden

Postby sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 » Wed 3/16/11 8:16 pm

good luck to ness.living his dream.
sec 16 row16 seat 16 17
Golden

Postby Golden FE Ranger » Wed 3/16/11 8:40 pm

matt4466 wrote:
Ryan Cardinal wrote:

Thanks Ryan -

I hope they either stop the Holiday tournament next year or get some big time teams in here (BC, BU, Maine, UNH, Miami). No more AHA or bottom feeding CCHA teams. Its hard enough to get people to go to these games during new years weekend not to metion having to pay $35 a game to see Ferris State or RIT for the dwindeling season ticket
holders.

Meh. They can't seem to beat the cupcakes - maybe go with an instate theme and invite St. Johns, Hamline and Bethel. Shoot-outs optional.
Golden FE Ranger
Golden

Postby fronesis » Sat 3/19/11 2:09 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:Can't even keep the undersized guys who don't develop. Meanwhile UND is keeping just about everyone an extra season.

This is it exactly!

Matt Fratin comes back as a senior and has almost as many goals as the Gophers top 3 scorers combined.

We have players leaving who have scored a total of FOUR goals in their last two seasons, players with very very little chance of playing in the NHL.

The U is now a stopover on the way to someplace else, even if the someplace else is not the NHL. We've had more mediocre players leave than most teams have top players leave.

I would much, much prefer to have the losing Woog teams than watch this trainwreck. Woog's players weren't outstanding, but they competed in every game, didn't get blown out, didn't get shut out, and their number one priority was Pride On Ice.
fronesis

Return to Home Page Articles