Racing

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.

Re: Racing

Postby gopher wes » Fri 3/26/10 9:56 am

I don't disagree with you that Jimmie makes Nascar so boring it isn't even funny, but do you really think Nascar would let Jimmie and Chad cheat. I would think they would go to every extent to make sure that group isn't cheating. Nascar has to know that that team is not good for Nascar. I mean you could be right about cheating and getting away with it, but you would think after this long of a run and being this good, Nascar would have caught on to whatever it was they were doing if they were actually cheating.

My take is this, and you have heard this several times already from the other drivers. Jimmie has got to be the luckiest S.O.B. we may ever see in Nascar. The guy catches every break possible. I'm a Jr fan so obviously I am miserable watching races because on top of being awful, he can't catch a break. i.e. The race at Atlana(I think) where Jr thought he had a tire going down and decided he needed to pit right then to take care of it. Then just a handful of laps later the caution comes out and he probably could have waited to pit. Jimmie would have said he had a tire going and there would have been a caution that same lap and they could take care of it under caution and not lose any tack position. The dude knows how to drive the car, we have all seen that, but he also gets lucky as hell.
I ♥ Golden Gopher Hockey :pelvic_thrust:
Playstation Network Username: gopher_wes
Golden Gopher Hockey 2011-2012: "We Found Love in a Hopeless Place"
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=29 ... ef=profile
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Larch » Fri 3/26/10 10:22 am

Luckygirl#13 wrote:WARNING: Rant ahead. :rantonoff:
I have become completely bored with Nascar. Bristol used to be one of the most exciting races to watch. So after my excessive weekend at the Final Five :mrgreen: , I was looking forward to sitting on the couch last Sunday and watching the race while taking a nap or 2. I could have napped through the entire thing and not missed anything. BORING! It just doesn't seem like racing anymore. Nascar needed to drum up some excitement so they tried to make a bigger deal out of the Carl Edwards/Brad Keslowski fued than it really is. They have nothing else to talk about other than Jimmie Johnson.

Ahh....precious Jimme Johonson. Nothing against him personally, seems like a good guy. But honestly.....when is Nascar gonna do something about the #48 team and their cheating. You cannot tell me that this one team is that much more dominant over everyone else. They have found a way to cheat and get away with it. I've heard so many other drivers say that the #48 team has figured it out. YEAh....FIGURED OUT HOW TO CHEAT AND NOT GET CAUGHT!! All the Hendrick drivers have the same equipment yet they aren't having the same results. Jimmie is a good driver but I really don't think he's that good. Something needs to be done with Chad Knaus.

Ok....I'm done now. :rantonoff:

You have got be kidding me. Is you tin-foil hat on tight? :crazy:
Larch
Rookie

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Fri 3/26/10 10:43 am

Larch wrote:
Luckygirl#13 wrote:WARNING: Rant ahead. :rantonoff:
I have become completely bored with Nascar. Bristol used to be one of the most exciting races to watch. So after my excessive weekend at the Final Five :mrgreen: , I was looking forward to sitting on the couch last Sunday and watching the race while taking a nap or 2. I could have napped through the entire thing and not missed anything. BORING! It just doesn't seem like racing anymore. Nascar needed to drum up some excitement so they tried to make a bigger deal out of the Carl Edwards/Brad Keslowski fued than it really is. They have nothing else to talk about other than Jimmie Johnson.

Ahh....precious Jimme Johonson. Nothing against him personally, seems like a good guy. But honestly.....when is Nascar gonna do something about the #48 team and their cheating. You cannot tell me that this one team is that much more dominant over everyone else. They have found a way to cheat and get away with it. I've heard so many other drivers say that the #48 team has figured it out. YEAh....FIGURED OUT HOW TO CHEAT AND NOT GET CAUGHT!! All the Hendrick drivers have the same equipment yet they aren't having the same results. Jimmie is a good driver but I really don't think he's that good. Something needs to be done with Chad Knaus.

Ok....I'm done now. :rantonoff:

You have got be kidding me. Is you tin-foil hat on tight? :crazy:

I'm just saying......maybe Nascar needs to take off the blinders. When the stands at Bristol aren't even near being full.....you've got a problem in your sport.
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby Larch » Fri 3/26/10 3:07 pm

There's no denying NASCAR has it's problems, part of the attendance is the fact that the mostly blue-collar crowd for a NASCAR event is hurting badly right now. JJ "cheating" isn't the reason they aren't filling the stands though. Look through the history...even just the modern history. There are many periods where a certain driver has dominated for a length of time, yes, JJ's has been longer than most, mostly due to the new Cup format. Which he is not responsible for, he races the same races that everybody else is out there for, and let's be honest he has added some intrigue at the end of the season, even though he keeps winning it. Stewart would have sailed off into the sunset last year and nobody would have watched then either.

I want somebody else to win too, just not a Busch. I will cheer for anybody over a Busch...and Edwards too. Personally I think you can only "cheat" at the largest tracks, especially with the new car. JJ is winning everywhere. Just because they have something "figured out" doesn't mean they are cheating. Isn't that the idea of sport, to gain an advantage over your foe anyway? Do the Yankees cheat? Do the Red Wings cheat? Do the Patriots cheat...oh yeah, I guess they do. Did DEI cheat when they were winning every restrictor plate race a few years ago? I'm guessing they found an edge and eventually everybody else did too. This will come around...it always does. Rousch accused Gordon of cheating back in the day, and he can't buy a win now. Which is funny because when Rousch was dominating a few years ago, he was very upset that people were saying he was "cheating".
Larch
Rookie

Postby gopher wes » Fri 3/26/10 3:46 pm

Larch brings up another good point about the chase that I made at the end of last season when everyone was complaining about Jimmie. The Chase is almost made for a team like the 48. It isn't their fault Nascar implemented the Chase system. It isn't their fault that they know how to get hot at the right time and they always seem to get hot during the Chase. Is it boring as hell? Yeah, most of the time but that's the way it goes until someone can figure out what they have figured out.
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby frozen4champs » Tue 4/13/10 5:48 pm

The rich get richer. Kasey Kahne will jump to Hendrick Motorsports in 2011. Will be in the #5 car, but not until 2012. Kahne will most likely drive for another Hendrick satellite team, possibly Stewart Haas in 2011.
frozen4champs
Golden

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Wed 4/14/10 9:09 am

I think it's a good move for Kasey, it seems as though the relationship between him and the King is strained. I would like to see him drive for Stewart-Haas next year. I think it would be a good fit! GO TONY! :D
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby Larch » Wed 4/14/10 11:34 am

I believe it was on USCHO last year, but I had a discussion last year with somebody that SHR was going was not a satellite team of Hendrick, and was their own team and going to stand on their own. I wonder if he still thinks that. I believe this is the best of both worlds for Tony. He gets to be in Hendrick equipment with basically Hendrick personnel, but gets to make his own decisions. I don't have a problem with it, but I do think it's an interesting dynamic.
Larch
Rookie

Postby gopher wes » Tue 4/20/10 2:36 pm

Anyone catch the race yesterday at Texas(make-up for rainout on Sunday)? Before I go any further I will say that the reason I enjoyed it was mostly due to the fact that Jr was running up front all day. Anyhow, I thought it was a somewhat entertaining race for a change. Even a close finish with Jimmie almost chasing Hamlin down on the last lap. I sure hope this is a sign of Jr's team getting better. They seemed to at least keep the car neutral all day instead of getting worse like they normally do. Had it not been for the decision to take two tires at the end, I think he may have had a fair shot at a top 5.

On to Talledega this weekend!
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Tue 4/20/10 4:16 pm

I had Nascar.com up at work to follow the race yesterday. Figures it was a good race since I couldn't watch it! :anger: I did see the replay on the Speed Channel last night. It was definitely exciting and entertaining. I was also happy because Tony Stewart was running up front all day.....until it came down to 18 laps to go and he caused the wreck. Disappointing for so many of the drivers who were racing hard to win and having a good day. Good to see Tony take responsibility and not blame anyone else. And even better to see some real racing again!

And a side note: Seriously Jimmie Johnson has to have a horseshoe up his a**!!! He was right next to Gordon when Stewart got loose, yet once again Jimmie goes right by and avoids the wreck! How does this happen???? :confused2: Glad Denny Hamlin was able to hold him off for the win.
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby Larch » Tue 4/20/10 4:46 pm

I got to watch the last half and it was a good race. I'm a Gordon fan, so I wasn't real happy with the ending as he was the best car all day or at least the last half, but we all know the best car/team doesn't always win. I thought it was interesting that Stewart took the blame though. I really didn't think it was his fault at all, instead it was just one of those racing deals. Everybody was pushing hard, as they should, and there just wasn't enough real estate. I thought it was interesting that he said Gordon was trying to make sure he wasn't upset at him, because the initial contact was between the two of them. At least during the live broadcast they showed Gordon getting right out of his car and walking up to Stewart, but you couldn't tell by either of the body language if either, or which one might be upset. In the end it sounded like they were both saying they were sorry, which was kind of refreshing as I'm use to everybody getting out and blaming somebody.
Larch
Rookie

Postby gopher wes » Wed 4/21/10 8:23 am

Yeah, I thought Gordon was going over to rip Tony a new one. Instead it looked like they were both apologetic to each other and making sure they were ok. Either that or Tony saw Gordon about to throw a tantrum and just decided to bite the bullet and avoid a big finger pointing game with the media. I thought it was just hard racing and I was suprised Tony took the blame for it. It looked like Gordon got into Tony initially. When Tony got loose, Carl couldn't get out of the throttle in time and ended up getting into him. I thought that was a weird scenario and I am suprised Tony took the blame for that, it was just hard racing....
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby gopher wes » Thu 4/22/10 3:52 pm

Just a kind of fun story. I don't know if any of you racing fans here are fans of dirt track racing or not. We go to the dirt track races at Cedar Lake Speedway all the time during the summer. Well kind of a fun story from our area(kind of). Steve Arpin(Fort Frances, Ontario) used to drive a modified at the tracks around the region here. We used to get to watch him regularily at Cedar Lake Speedway actually. Not too long ago he started racing in the ARCA series. He has been winning races and making some noise at that level apparently. He is signed on with Dale Earnhardt Jr to race the Nationwide race in the No. 7 car for JR Motorsports this weekend at Talledega. Just kind of a fun story to see a guy that I have seen race on the local dirt tracks work his way up to this point. I hope he can make this work!
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby g_manpucker » Thu 4/22/10 4:03 pm

gopher wes wrote:Just a kind of fun story. I don't know if any of you racing fans here are fans of dirt track racing or not. We go to the dirt track races at Cedar Lake Speedway all the time during the summer. Well kind of a fun story from our area(kind of). Steve Arpin(Fort Frances, Ontario) used to drive a modified at the tracks around the region here. We used to get to watch him regularily at Cedar Lake Speedway actually. Not too long ago he started racing in the ARCA series. He has been winning races and making some noise at that level apparently. He is signed on with Dale Earnhardt Jr to race the Nationwide race in the No. 7 car for JR Motorsports this weekend at Talledega. Just kind of a fun story to see a guy that I have seen race on the local dirt tracks work his way up to this point. I hope he can make this work!

I can relate...Iowa dirt track modified legend Wayne Larson used to race a ARCA car at Talledega, it was cool to see him race there when I went there for the first time after watching him for years dominate the Iowa dirt tracks in the 80's and 90's.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL
g_manpucker
Golden

Postby hrbekroenick » Thu 4/22/10 6:32 pm

gopher wes wrote:Just a kind of fun story. I don't know if any of you racing fans here are fans of dirt track racing or not. We go to the dirt track races at Cedar Lake Speedway all the time during the summer. Well kind of a fun story from our area(kind of). Steve Arpin(Fort Frances, Ontario) used to drive a modified at the tracks around the region here. We used to get to watch him regularily at Cedar Lake Speedway actually. Not too long ago he started racing in the ARCA series. He has been winning races and making some noise at that level apparently. He is signed on with Dale Earnhardt Jr to race the Nationwide race in the No. 7 car for JR Motorsports this weekend at Talledega. Just kind of a fun story to see a guy that I have seen race on the local dirt tracks work his way up to this point. I hope he can make this work!

Cool! Is Dave Friendt still out there @ Cedar Lake? I thought I heard somewhere he moved out there to open a speed shop. Dave is an ex-coworker and great guy.
hrbekroenick
Super Vet

Postby gopher wes » Thu 4/22/10 6:35 pm

hrbekroenick wrote:

Cool! Is Dave Friendt still out there @ Cedar Lake? I thought I heard somewhere he moved out there to open a speed shop. Dave is an ex-coworker and great guy.

Yep, he still runs most of the time.
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby rovert M » Thu 4/22/10 11:02 pm

I remember watching the 00 fly around some of the "local" dirt ovals. He was sure fun to watch. I haven't been to Cedar Lake in years. In fact, last year was the first year I didn't make a single race going back to 1994 (got rained out all three times I was planning to go). I used to spend almost every Friday night at Red Cedar growing up. Best race night of the year was always the Thursday of the WISSOTA 100. Nothing beat at least eight, 10+ car heats of mods and a whole mess of Late Model heats as well.
rovert M
Rookie

Postby gopher wes » Fri 4/23/10 9:17 am

rovert M wrote:

I remember watching the 00 fly around some of the "local" dirt ovals. He was sure fun to watch. I haven't been to Cedar Lake in years. In fact, last year was the first year I didn't make a single race going back to 1994 (got rained out all three times I was planning to go). I used to spend almost every Friday night at Red Cedar growing up. Best race night of the year was always the Thursday of the WISSOTA 100. Nothing beat at least eight, 10+ car heats of mods and a whole mess of Late Model heats as well.

We always make it over to Red Cedar once a year for the Punky Manor. I miss having the Wissota 100 at Cedar Lake. I'm still bummed that Cedar Lake isn't Wissota sanctioned any longer. I love CLS because it is so close to home (only an hour to get home on a Saturday night), but the whole sanctioning thing is a mess. Everything else about the track is great as far as track prep, grandstands, facilities etc. I wish the tracks in the area could all just agree on one thing and do it as far as sanctioning goes. I love late model racing. Mods are awesome, but there is just something cool about seeing the late models get it cranked up!
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby gopher wes » Fri 4/23/10 11:43 am

Here is a fun article on the Steve Arpin deal:

http://www.nascar.com/2010/news/opinion ... html#page2
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Thu 8/26/10 12:52 pm

Is anybody out there watching Nascar anymore? :? No comments about Kyle Busch winning all 3 races at Bristol? I really can't stand the guy but at least he's making Nascar a bit more interesting.
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby Sioux/Bucky Hater » Thu 8/26/10 1:00 pm

Wow, over four months without a hit in the racing thread. I would love to go see the night race at Bristol sometime. I think it would be an epic party. I hear the m/c races at BIR last weekend were a hit. A few of my buddies ran their bikes around the track and had a blast. I am going to try to make the flat track races at Caterbury coming up in a couple weeks. I think that would be a blast.
Sioux/Bucky Hater
Golden

Postby dxmnkd316 » Thu 8/26/10 1:03 pm

I used to watch a lot of racing. Open wheel, NASCAR, even drag racing. I just lost interest over the years. I'm a stats guy and honestly, there just isn't much in the way of that for racing.
The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back -H.Brooks

st8ofhockey: Is that a photocollage of a dick? Oh wait, that's Patrick Stewart

psych: haha, damnit dx, your phone is drunk again
dxmnkd316: f*** you, I can't stop any time I want
dxmnkd316: err wait

I don't think I'm always right. I just find it hard to operate on the opposite assumption.
Disclaimer: 95% of the things I post are jokes, sarcasm, or hyperbole. Thanks in advance for not taking things so literally
dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby gopher wes » Thu 8/26/10 1:11 pm

I'm bored of nascar. Dirt track racing is where it's at. Gonna try to hit Cedar Lake Speedway on Saturday and Ogilvie Raceway on Sunday. Should be a fun couple nights of racing.
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Thu 8/26/10 1:26 pm

I'm pretty bored with Nascar too. I think I've actually sat down and watched 2 races the entire season. And that was beacause I was hungover and laying on the couch. :mrgreen: I totally agree the Dirt Tracks are more exciting! I go to Princeton alot, never been to Cedar Lake...yet. A few years ago I went to Dixie Speedway about 30 miles north of Atlanta. Bill Elliot owns it and some of the Cup guys were racing....it was a blast! Way more exciting than the cup race at Atlanta the next day. I'd like to get out to Eldora Speedway in Ohio.
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby gopher wes » Thu 8/26/10 3:08 pm

Never actually been to Princeton but I've seen it numerous times driving up to the lake. Unfortunately I am a late model junkie so I like going to tracks where the lates are kind of the main event. That's why we go to CLS all the time during the summer. CLS is a pretty awesome facility as far as being close to the cities (it only takes us an hour to get home). I recommend going when you get a chance. We also hit the track in Alexandria for the big shows that we can. Eldora looks like a lot of fun, I agree!
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Thu 9/23/10 10:45 am

Clint Bowyer is docked 150 points and goes from 2nd to 12th in the chase. Crew Chief fined $15,000 and suspended for 6 races, as well as the car chief. Nice way to start to Chase Nascar. I think this penalty was a bit harsh especially during chase time. I'm sure if this was the #48 team it would have just been a warning. No consistency at all in NASCAR when it comes to handing out penalties. :ahhh:

(I finally got to use the :ahhh: :D )
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby gopher wes » Thu 9/23/10 10:54 am

I love how Hamlin (who inherited the points lead due to the infraction) "applauds Nascar". Of course you do, you just took over the points lead. I also love how Childress is convinced that it was the wrecker that pushed Bowyer to victory lane that caused it. I haven't watched a race in a couple weeks, I just watch the "highlights" on SC. It's just way too :bored: .
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Thu 9/23/10 11:01 am

gopher wes wrote:I love how Hamlin (who inherited the points lead due to the infraction) "applauds Nascar". Of course you do, you just took over the points lead.

:lol: Funny! I actually like Denny Hamlin as a racer and would like to see him win the chase this year. Well....if Tony can't anyway. Hamlin has been pretty consistent this year. I haven't seen a race in weeks either, but heard they were really racing last weekend. I just think Nascar continues on it's downward slide. It seems like this was all drummed up to get some attention on the BORING Chase.
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby gopher wes » Thu 9/23/10 1:27 pm

Luckygirl#13 wrote:
gopher wes wrote:I love how Hamlin (who inherited the points lead due to the infraction) "applauds Nascar". Of course you do, you just took over the points lead.

:lol: Funny! I actually like Denny Hamlin as a racer and would like to see him win the chase this year. Well....if Tony can't anyway. Hamlin has been pretty consistent this year. I haven't seen a race in weeks either, but heard they were really racing last weekend. I just think Nascar continues on it's downward slide. It seems like this was all drummed up to get some attention on the BORING Chase.

Denny is the lesser of two evils on that Gibbs team. I don't like him, but he is better than kyle. I won't even get started with the whole Logano situation and his, what I believe was Nascar orchestrated, feud with Harvick. I could see Nascar telling the young, generally mellow Logano to go after a guy like Harvick who has been known for outbursts throughout the years. And taking a shot at his wife even.....? Please. Nascar is trying everything they can to inject life into a sport which they have ruined over the past 5 years.
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Larch » Fri 9/24/10 12:45 am

gopher wes wrote: Denny is the lesser of two evils on that Gibbs team. I don't like him, but he is better than kyle.

Agreed.

I'm just glad it was Bowyer who got caught cheating and not some popular guy, as it always starts a s#!^ storm. I've never heard of anybody disliking Bowyer. I think he might have a Mark Martin type career and following in the future.

Incidentally, Hamlin was always in the lead, Bowyer was not leading the Chase, Hamlin was 35 points (I think) up on Bowyer, he just got a little bigger cushion to second...which he will hopefully lose this weekend on one of his worst tracks.
Larch
Rookie

Postby gopher wes » Fri 9/24/10 9:46 am

Larch wrote:
gopher wes wrote: Denny is the lesser of two evils on that Gibbs team. I don't like him, but he is better than kyle.

Agreed.

I'm just glad it was Bowyer who got caught cheating and not some popular guy, as it always starts a s#!^ storm. I've never heard of anybody disliking Bowyer. I think he might have a Mark Martin type career and following in the future.

Incidentally, Hamlin was always in the lead, Bowyer was not leading the Chase, Hamlin was 35 points (I think) up on Bowyer, he just got a little bigger cushion to second...which he will hopefully lose this weekend on one of his worst tracks.

Sorry, I must have heard that wrong regarding Hamlin's point situation. Either way, it was a stupid thing for him to say. Of course you are going to be happy if your points lead gets padded.

Bowyer may be a likeable guy, but I guarantee he will never be as kiss a$$ as Mark Martin is :lol: .
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Larch » Sat 9/25/10 5:48 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=5614276

I was thinking (or hoping) that he would do something like this. I knew it wouldn't be Burton and Bowyer couldn't touch him, but I guess Harvick has the enforcer title now. :D
Larch
Rookie

Postby frozen4champs » Sat 9/25/10 6:12 pm

Larch wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=5614276

I was thinking (or hoping) that he would do something like this. I knew it wouldn't be Burton and Bowyer couldn't touch him, but I guess Harvick has the enforcer title now. :D

What's weird is that last year Bowyer & Harvick did not like each other. I guess Hamlin is a common enemy for a ton of people.
frozen4champs
Golden

Postby Larch » Sun 10/03/10 11:15 pm

Uh-oh. He's back. Just when we all said we didn't see Jimmie winning it again, he gets back on top of the Chase. I'm a Gordon fan and thereby and Hendrick fan, but really don't want to see JJ win it yet again. I'm actually more interested now though to see if somebody can knock him off (I hope it's his mentor).

I am happy to see Hamlin start to falter, I just don't like the dude. Also, it will be interesting to see how the rest of the races play out with the Reutie-Shrub entanglement today. Obviously NASCAR isn't going to protect the Chasers. Whoever is leading the point better be real careful not to bump anybody, otherwise they could get wrecked at the drop of a hat, which is something that wasn't possible in the past few years.
Larch
Rookie

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Mon 10/04/10 9:36 am

I think it would be bad for Nascar if #48 wins again.
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby gopher wes » Tue 10/05/10 11:19 am

Jimmie :bored: . I am barely watching as it is. Another Johnson championship would basically be the end of Nascar for me until someting changes.

Kyky I don't understand. He clearly wrecked Reutimann early in the race just because he was unpatient and decided that he is more important because he is in the chase. That may be true, but that is the fault I have with the entire system. There are 31 other drivers in the track that can affect the chase driver's races whether it is intentional or just a matter of getting caught in a wreck they didn't cause. Either way it isn't really fair. Those are drivers don't want and shouldn't have to lay down (they should be able to do whatever it takes to win), but unfortunately that probably happens (especially with the whole teammates working together). I understand wanting to make that "playoff" scenario, but there are too many variables and it allows guys like Jimmie to be good (which he is always damn good down the stretch and to be lucky (which he and Knaus are two of the luckiest SOBs in the the history of the sport). Essentially Nascar is rewarding drivers who get hot at the end of the year instead of rewarding who runs well all year. Jimmie usually does run well all year, let the points play out as they will without the chase. If Jimmie is that good, which I think he is, he will probably win the chase anyway. Back to kyky, how is it right for him to spin out Reutimann and then get mad when Reutimann retaliates? Typical Kyle crying about anything he can (which unfortunately Nascar allows because they need that type of drama because we all know there hardly any drama on the track).

Another note, the stands looked really full this weekend. I know Nascar is damn near literally giving the tickets away, but even then the stands haven't been that full. Good to see, too bad the racing is still boring.
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Tue 10/05/10 11:43 am

gopher wes wrote:Jimmie :bored: . I am barely watching as it is. Another Johnson championship would basically be the end of Nascar for me until someting changes.

AGREED! I just said to my friend yesterday that if Jimmie wins the cup this year I'm done with Nascar. (not that I've been watching much anyway)

:rantonoff:
I just think Nascar should get rid of the Chase all-together and let these guys race like they used too! If you are only gonna have 12 guys in contention for the championship then why bother letting the other guys run those last 10 races??? Nascar has always been worried about how the non-chase guys race the chasers.....they baby the chasers and penalize those other guys for "racing too hard". Umm....can someone explain to me how you race too hard?? Just go back to the way it was already! Let everyone race all year and we'll see who comes out on top. There is a reason those stands are not full. POOR PRODUCT! When the Bristol night race has empty seats there is a problem.....and they know it.
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby gopher wes » Tue 10/05/10 12:44 pm

Those were my dad's exact words during the race on Sunday.

Nascar knows something is wrong. They can't even sell backstretch seats for the Daytona 500 of the 4th of July race. The part I don't understand is why they don't make changes. Clearly something is not working and pretty soon the fan support will be so minimal and the tv coverage will be the same way (I'm somewhat suprised the TV coverage is still the way it is).
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Tue 10/26/10 12:08 pm

Denny Hamlin is only 6 points behind Jimmie Johnson. Kevin Harvick is in 3rd behind 62 points. This is the closest I ever remember a chase being. 4 races to go. GO DENNY! I really think he deserves the championship.
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby gopher wes » Tue 10/26/10 12:47 pm

There is still racing going on? I didn't know there was racing after my dirt tracks were done running :wink: . Haven't watched a race in weeks. Looks like it is 'Dega this weekend. Might have to actually watch to see if my "driver" can run well at the only kind of track he is ever good at.
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Tue 10/26/10 1:11 pm

Ahhh.....you must be Junior fan. I would love to see Junior win this weekend!! It would be a great thing for this dying sport.
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby gopher wes » Tue 10/26/10 1:31 pm

Of course I am a Jr fan. It's no fun watching my, again, "driver" consistently in the 25-35 range. Here's to hoping he can win at Talledega. Anything less than a win from Jr at a track he knows he can win at is a letdown for me.
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby frozen4champs » Tue 10/26/10 2:00 pm

Nascar in general has really been hit by the economy. The crowds are WAY down, the tv ratings are WAY down, but most importantly, the sponsorship dollars are WAY down. I was a Nascar rube for many years, but now find the racing boring. I know that the chase is really close, but I liked the days when 43 cars actually raced until the end. Now, about 8 cars run 10-15 laps and park. I yearn for the days when Schrader, M Waltrip, K Petty, or Dale Jarrett would have a chance to win every now and again. I still watch some of the races ( esp the night races ), but the NFL and hockey take up my Sundays these days. Maybe they should shorten the season. Start after the Super Bowl and end Oct 1st. As far as the chase, I'm hoping Happy Harvick makes it close, and JJ doesn't win.
frozen4champs
Golden

Postby Next Crosby » Tue 10/26/10 2:15 pm

frozen4champs wrote:Nascar in general has really been hit by the economy. The crowds are WAY down, the tv ratings are WAY down, but most importantly, the sponsorship dollars are WAY down. I was a Nascar rube for many years, but now find the racing boring. I know that the chase is really close, but I liked the days when 43 cars actually raced until the end. Now, about 8 cars run 10-15 laps and park. I yearn for the days when Schrader, M Waltrip, K Petty, or Dale Jarrett would have a chance to win every now and again. I still watch some of the races ( esp the night races ), but the NFL and hockey take up my Sundays these days. Maybe they should shorten the season. Start after the Super Bowl and end Oct 1st. As far as the chase, I'm hoping Happy Harvick makes it close, and JJ doesn't win.

Agreed, Nascar is pretty boring but the last 20 laps are worth watching. I still don't understand why the sport (calling Nascar a sport is debatable IMO) is so popular?
Next Crosby
Super Vet

Postby SouthTexGopher » Tue 10/26/10 2:34 pm

Next Crosby wrote:
frozen4champs wrote:Nascar in general has really been hit by the economy. The crowds are WAY down, the tv ratings are WAY down, but most importantly, the sponsorship dollars are WAY down. I was a Nascar rube for many years, but now find the racing boring. I know that the chase is really close, but I liked the days when 43 cars actually raced until the end. Now, about 8 cars run 10-15 laps and park. I yearn for the days when Schrader, M Waltrip, K Petty, or Dale Jarrett would have a chance to win every now and again. I still watch some of the races ( esp the night races ), but the NFL and hockey take up my Sundays these days. Maybe they should shorten the season. Start after the Super Bowl and end Oct 1st. As far as the chase, I'm hoping Happy Harvick makes it close, and JJ doesn't win.

Agreed, Nascar is pretty boring but the last 20 laps are worth watching. I still don't understand why the sport (calling Nascar a sport is debatable IMO) is so popular?

Golf is considered a sport, too. I guess the standards for what is a "sport" are pretty low.

Clamo, clamatis, omnes clamamus pro glace lactis.

University of Minnesota. Class of 1994.
SouthTexGopher
Golden

Postby Next Crosby » Tue 10/26/10 2:42 pm

SouthTexGopher wrote:
Next Crosby wrote:

Golf is considered a sport, too. I guess the standards for what is a "sport" are pretty low.

Sitting in a car is like walking 18 holes? :confused2:
Next Crosby
Super Vet

Postby gopher wes » Tue 10/26/10 2:45 pm

Didn't anyone ever tell you these drivers are in excellent physical shape and driving a car for that long is very exhausting? :crazy: :wave: I am/was/might not be much longer a fan of Nascar so I enjoy it as a sport but I can see why people wouldn't think so.
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Next Crosby » Tue 10/26/10 2:54 pm

gopher wes wrote:Didn't anyone ever tell you these drivers are in excellent physical shape and driving a car for that long is very exhausting? :crazy: :wave: I am/was/might not be much longer a fan of Nascar so I enjoy it as a sport but I can see why people wouldn't think so.

Why are you losing your love for Nascar?
Next Crosby
Super Vet

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Tue 10/26/10 3:19 pm

Next Crosby wrote:
SouthTexGopher wrote:
Next Crosby wrote:

Sitting in a car is like walking 18 holes? :confused2:

HA HA!! :lol: Even though I am a Nascar fan.....for now.....I don't really consider it a sport. Drivers are not athletes. And neither are golfers for that matter! They just wanna think they are!
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby gopher wes » Tue 10/26/10 3:21 pm

Next Crosby wrote:
gopher wes wrote:Didn't anyone ever tell you these drivers are in excellent physical shape and driving a car for that long is very exhausting? :crazy: :wave: I am/was/might not be much longer a fan of Nascar so I enjoy it as a sport but I can see why people wouldn't think so.

Why are you losing your love for Nascar?

I will give you two reasons and you can rip me for the first one, but it is honestly the main reason I can't sit and watch Nascar as much anymore.

1. Jr stinks. I have no fun sitting and watching a race where my favorite driver can't even crack the top 15. Especially when he used to win races consistently in his younger days. I'm sure it has a lot to with the CoT which he openly complains about. But he also used to race for daddy before he passed away. In our house, we have a suspicion that daddy knew how to set up those Earnhardt Inc cars for Jr to run well. It is extremely frustrating to see him racing with Hendrick who has arguably the best equipment and Jr can't even seem to put together a top 10 run every other week. It saddens me to see the driver I love failing so badly in the same cars and setups that you see Gordon and Johnson winning in or at least being competitive in (winning championships even in Jimmie's case).
2. The CoT has ruined Nascar. It doesn't even feel like racing anymore. It is common to see a driver pull away from the field and be just that much better than the rest of the field. I understand that happens in racing and it is part of the deal with being a racing fan at times. With the CoT it is that way almost EVERY race. I have no desire to sit and watch one car be a straightaway ahead of the closest car behind him. The new cars are just not competitive. Nascar throws garbage cautions just to get the cars bunched up again so they can try to get them to race. That happens a lot at the end of races. I have not seen a race with an exciting finish since the Daytona 500 this year. I cannot think of one race that I have actually been excited about the finish since that race (that isn't to say that the old car automatically makes the races more competitive and entertaining were they to bring it back, but I sure remember a lot better racing with the old car than the CoT).
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Tue 10/26/10 3:30 pm

I'm not trying to upset you or start anything.....it's an honest question.
Has it ever occured to you that maybe Junior just isn't a very good driver?? He's in the best equipment out there and still can't get the job done.
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby gopher wes » Tue 10/26/10 3:36 pm

Luckygirl#13 wrote:I'm not trying to upset you or start anything.....it's an honest question.
Has it ever occured to you that maybe Junior just isn't a very good driver?? He's in the best equipment out there and still can't get the job done.

Yes, I say it every week (that I actually watch). I said "Jr stinks" at the begining of my last post. It doesn't make any sense to me, but yes I realize he obviously isn't a very good driver. But he used to win races, why can't he translate that to the new car like the others have (Stewart, Jimmie, Gordon, Harvick etc.)? So back to my last post, was it daddy setting up his cars and running the show at Earnhardt Inc in such a way that made Jr successful? Or was it purely the old car that Jr was good in? I wish I knew. Regardless, between Jr's nonexistence in the top 10 and the racing being boring as hell, I am quickly losing interest. We have also said at my house, if Jimmie wins again, we are pretty much going to be done with Nascar.
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Tue 10/26/10 3:45 pm

gopher wes wrote:
Luckygirl#13 wrote:I'm not trying to upset you or start anything.....it's an honest question.

Yes, I say it every week (that I actually watch). I said "Jr stinks" at the begining of my last post. It doesn't make any sense to me, but yes I realize he obviously isn't a very good driver. But he used to win races, why can't he translate that to the new car like the others have (Stewart, Jimmie, Gordon, Harvick etc.)? So back to my last post, was it daddy setting up his cars and running the show at Earnhardt Inc in such a way that made Jr successful? Or was it purely the old car that Jr was good in? I wish I knew. Regardless, between Jr's nonexistence in the top 10 and the racing being boring as hell, I am quickly losing interest. We have also said at my house, if Jimmie wins again, we are pretty much going to be done with Nascar.

I don't think anyone will argue that the racing is BORING and the COT has alot to do with it. That....and all the restrictions on the drivers. Just let them race for crying out loud!! I've heard alot of people say that if Jimmie wins the championship again this year they are done. Myself included. We think the stands are empty now.....wait until next year. Yikes.
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby Doughboy » Sat 10/30/10 11:32 pm

gopher wes wrote:

I am not sure if you could give all the credit to Sr. The best crew chief Jr. ever had was Tony Eury Sr. In Earnhardt's first five years in the Sprint Cup Series, he totaled 15 wins and six poles. Tony played a huge role in that

Eury Sr. was also Earnhardt's crew chief through his two Nationwide/Busch Series years, they won two championships in dominating fashion. This combination was an example of what a good crew chief matched with a good driver can do when they work together, and understand where each other are coming from. (Where as now all he does now is complain about how bad the car is.)

They worked together for Earnhardt's first five season in the Sprint Cup Series, NASCAR's elite racing division.

In 2004, they showed potential to win races by being consistent. With six wins, 15 top-fives, and 21 top 10's . Sadly Waltrip started complaining about his equipment and Eury was moved.

Tony Eury Jr. was brought in and that's when things went down hill.

Jr. needs a veteran crew chief that will tell him to shut up and drive the car.

Edit: As far Jimmie Johnson is concerned, you guys should be watching. You are witnessing history here. 5 championships in a row. This is truly an amazing thing that is going on here. I am not even a Johnson fan and I HATE Jeff Gordon.
If you are not going to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them
Doughboy
Rookie

Postby psych » Sat 11/06/10 6:14 pm

I realize this thread is probably for NASCAR racing, but in horse racing, Zenyatta, the mare who had won 19 of 19 races, lost by a head length to Blame @ the Breeder's Cup Classic @ Churchill Downs tonight. Ridiculous race to watch. She was behind by 20-25 lengths on the backstretch and battled all the way back to finish 2nd.
psych
Lifer

Postby Dolphin275 » Sat 11/06/10 6:25 pm

psych wrote:I realize this thread is probably for NASCAR racing, but in horse racing, Zenyatta, the mare who had won 19 of 19 races, lost by a head length to Blame @ the Breeder's Cup Classic @ Churchill Downs tonight. Ridiculous race to watch. She was behind by 20-25 lengths on the backstretch and battled all the way back to finish 2nd.

Considering she was racing against the fastest males in the world, and lost by less then a head, she should go down as the greatest female race horse of all time. Hell of a race.
Dolphin275
Golden

Postby psych » Sat 11/06/10 6:40 pm

Dolphin275 wrote:
psych wrote:I realize this thread is probably for NASCAR racing, but in horse racing, Zenyatta, the mare who had won 19 of 19 races, lost by a head length to Blame @ the Breeder's Cup Classic @ Churchill Downs tonight. Ridiculous race to watch. She was behind by 20-25 lengths on the backstretch and battled all the way back to finish 2nd.

Considering she was racing against the fastest males in the world, and lost by less then a head, she should go down as the greatest female race horse of all time. Hell of a race.

Agreed. Even 10 more yards of track and she would have won. Her jockey waited to move her just a smidgen too long.
psych
Lifer

Postby Snowcool08 » Sun 11/07/10 5:27 am

psych wrote:
Dolphin275 wrote:

Agreed. Even 10 more yards of track and she would have won. Her jockey waited to move her just a smidgen too long.

Mike Smith after the race was distraught and nearly broke down because he thought he screwed it up for the horse. In reality, Zenyatta is used to running on the synthetic track at Hollywood Park in California and the dirt track and Churchill Downs is just not the same. It struggled to get going, but it still ran one hell of a race. I'm pretty sure Zenyatta will be retired after this race, but she will definitely be known as one of the best female, and possibly male as well, thoroughbreds of all time.
Snowcool08
Lifer

Postby Slap Shot » Sun 11/07/10 6:51 am

Zenyatta runs nearly every race from behind. Perhaps not 20-25 lenghts behind, but it's been her bread and butter style of running since the beginning.
Slap Shot
Golden

Postby The Rube » Sun 11/07/10 11:25 am

Slap Shot wrote:Zenyatta runs nearly every race from behind. Perhaps not 20-25 lenghts behind, but it's been her bread and butter style of running since the beginning.

Agreed, but last night's race was un-be- :censored: -ing-liev-able. I was stunned.
Also known as Brenthoven on USCHO.
The Rube
Golden

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Mon 11/08/10 10:42 am

I watched the race at Texas yesterday and it was actually kinda intersesting!! Kyle Bucsh flipping off Nascar officials, Jeff Gordon going after Jeff Burton and throwing punches :shock: , The #48 pit crew sucking so they swapped them with the #24 crew after the crash, and finally Denny Hamlin winning his 8th race of the season!! Denny Hamlin deserves this championship and I am rooting for him. The last 2 races should be interesting.....
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby gopher wes » Tue 11/09/10 10:30 am

I didn't watch, but I saw the highlights. I loved the Gordon/Burton confrontation. I will preface by saying I hate Gordon. I loved Burton just taking the hit and saying it was all his fault. He is a true class act. He had a chance to lay into Jr two weeks ago at Talladega and he simply said it was a racing deal and stuff like that happens at restrictor plate races. He totally took the blame on Sunday and he didn't fault Gordon for the way he reacted (even though it was over the top, IMO). I loved Gordon's comments about how "that was the least he had thought about doing to Burton" as he ran the scenario through his mind as he walked over there. What was that midget going to do, not that Burton is a huge dude, but Gordon acted like he is some big fighter or something. We're talking about the same guy who got out of his car and pushed Kenseth after a race with his helmet still on a number of years ago :roll: :lol: . Here's to hoping Hamlin can hold on and win the Cup.
p.s. I do not like Hamlin one bit, but that is how much I hope JJ does not win this championship;.
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Tue 11/09/10 10:53 am

gopher wes wrote:p.s. I do not like Hamlin one bit, but that is how much I hope JJ does not win this championship;.

I feel the same!! Denny seems like an arrogant jerk, but he has had an impressive year and I think he deserves the championship. He's won 8 races! I won't be surprised if Jimmie ends up winning tho. I think Homestead could be an interesting race!
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby gopher wes » Tue 11/09/10 10:57 am

Luckygirl#13 wrote:
gopher wes wrote:p.s. I do not like Hamlin one bit, but that is how much I hope JJ does not win this championship;.

I feel the same!! Denny seems like an arrogant jerk, but he has had an impressive year and I think he deserves the championship. He's won 8 races! I won't be surprised if Jimmie ends up winning tho. I think Homestead could be an interesting race!

Definitely, no denying he has had an AWESOME season. Not sure if there should have been so much publicity as we have no idea what kind of state his knee was in, but he was winning races early in the season even with a bad knee and he was racing right after having surgery on it too. I also agree that I wouldn't be suprised if Jimmie won this thing still. Those guys turn it on this time of year and it was rare to see them falter the way they did at Texas. I could definitely see them rebounding at Phoenix and Homestead.
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Tue 11/09/10 11:11 am

Me and some friends are thinking about going to Texas next November for the Nascar race. Has anyone been to Texas Motor Speedway and have any thoughts to share? Or does anyone have any other tracks they recommend for a race? I've already been too Michigan, Atlanta, Richmond, and Homestead.
Thanks! :D
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby gopher wes » Tue 11/09/10 11:50 am

Luckygirl#13 wrote:Me and some friends are thinking about going to Texas next November for the Nascar race. Has anyone been to Texas Motor Speedway and have any thoughts to share? Or does anyone have any other tracks they recommend for a race? I've already been too Michigan, Atlanta, Richmond, and Homestead.
Thanks! :D

I think we have kinda had this convo before. I have been to Texas, Phoenix, and Daytona.

Texas is very fun to watch the race. If you get seats high enough you can see the entire race.

Daytona is also fun if you can get seats high enough up. Although it is difficult to see across the track so seating near a jumbotron is helpful.

Phoenix is a goofy shaped track and I was there when I was younger. We sat in a really crappy section of bleachers in turn 3 (maybe they have updated?) for the Cup race and you could really only see the racing in turns 3 and 4. We sat on the front stretch for the, then, Busch series race and we were too low so we couldn't see the backstretch.

I would love to go to Richmond or Bristol because from what I hear they are very confined and you get the small town track feel. Michigan would be fun since it is a big, fast track. Also, we have talked about taking a family roadtrip to Kansas City or Chicagoland since those two tracks would be very driveable from Minnesota.

My dad has been hearing rumors about Iowa's track being in consideration to get a Cup race soon. That would be fun to have a Cup race that close to MN!
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Larch » Tue 11/09/10 12:40 pm

gopher wes wrote:My dad has been hearing rumors about Iowa's track being in consideration to get a Cup race soon. That would be fun to have a Cup race that close to MN!

That would be very cool and I'm all for it, I just don't see it happening. Which of the big track owners is going to give up a race and I don't believe they will add a race to the season.
Larch
Rookie

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Tue 11/09/10 1:02 pm

Larch wrote:
gopher wes wrote:My dad has been hearing rumors about Iowa's track being in consideration to get a Cup race soon. That would be fun to have a Cup race that close to MN!

That would be very cool and I'm all for it, I just don't see it happening. Which of the big track owners is going to give up a race and I don't believe they will add a race to the season.

It could happen!!! There is a cup race at Kentucky in 2011 because there is only 1 race at Atlanta. The races at Fontana typically have poor attendance and there has been talk of limiting them to 1 race. So it's possible we may see a cup race in Iowa in the near future. I know the feeedback on the Nationwide races have been very good there.
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby Larch » Tue 11/09/10 11:39 pm

Luckygirl#13 wrote:It could happen!!! There is a cup race at Kentucky in 2011 because there is only 1 race at Atlanta. The races at Fontana typically have poor attendance and there has been talk of limiting them to 1 race. So it's possible we may see a cup race in Iowa in the near future. I know the feeedback on the Nationwide races have been very good there.

There is no doubt that it could happen, but the track is going to have to be bought by Bruton Smith or the France family. Only Dover, Pocono and maybe Richmond are not owned by one of the two. Fontana has already lost a race as of next year. I believe Kansas got it. If my memory is right, I'm sure they aren't in too big of a hurry to put another race in the midwest.
Larch
Rookie

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Mon 11/22/10 11:00 am

Jimmie Johnson wins his 5th consecutive championship. :bored:
The chase is obviously flawed.
I've lost all interest. Bye Bye Nascar. :wave:
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby gopher wes » Tue 11/23/10 2:35 pm

Luckygirl#13 wrote:Jimmie Johnson wins his 5th consecutive championship. :bored:

True story. I am done with that crap :bored: (not that I watched this or any of the last few races anyway). Nascar DESPERATELY needed someone other than Jimmie to win.
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Sioux/Bucky Hater » Tue 11/23/10 3:05 pm

gopher wes wrote:
Luckygirl#13 wrote:Jimmie Johnson wins his 5th consecutive championship. :bored:

True story. I am done with that crap :bored: (not that I watched this or any of the last few races anyway). Nascar DESPERATELY needed someone other than Jimmie to win.

True.

True.

What about Hamlin and the fuel mileage that cost him the championship last week? Wow, what a debacle. Or...was that all just a ruse to get Nascar to give Jimmie his 5th? Paging Jessee Ventura.
Sioux/Bucky Hater
Golden

Postby g_manpucker » Tue 11/23/10 3:11 pm

gopher wes wrote:

I watched some of the pre-race coverage and the whole sport just seems rigged. You can tell that most of the drivers are just there to punch there time cards and make their money and go home. Jeff Gordon was the guy back in the 90's and even he seems dis-interested in the sport. I gave up on NASCAR over 5 years ago and I just watch the coverage now and think to myself...How different would things be if Dale was alive? I mean really, he HAD influence with Bill Jr. and I think he would be a big thorn in Brian France's side right now. With Jiminy winning his 5th I think NASCAR probably lost at least 10-15% of their viewership, I have no source to back up those numbers but I know racing fans don't like what's going on!
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL
g_manpucker
Golden

Postby frozen4champs » Tue 11/23/10 3:45 pm

g_manpucker wrote:
gopher wes wrote:

I watched some of the pre-race coverage and the whole sport just seems rigged. You can tell that most of the drivers are just there to punch there time cards and make their money and go home. Jeff Gordon was the guy back in the 90's and even he seems dis-interested in the sport. I gave up on NASCAR over 5 years ago and I just watch the coverage now and think to myself...How different would things be if Dale was alive? I mean really, he HAD influence with Bill Jr. and I think he would be a big thorn in Brian France's side right now. With Jiminy winning his 5th I think NASCAR probably lost at least 10-15% of their viewership, I have no source to back up those numbers but I know racing fans don't like what's going on!

In general, dynasties are not good for sports ( unless it's Gophers Hockey ) . I used to watch Nascar regularly or TIVO it. The last 2 years I've lost interest in it, although I did watch most of the final race. I was hoping someone ( Harvick 1st choice, or Hamlin ) would take down JJ. The Chase format is cool, but it works right into the hands of JJ. With the number of cars and teams going down, I'm afraid that the super teams will continue to dominate, and the racing will continue to decline.
frozen4champs
Golden

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Tue 11/23/10 4:19 pm

If Chad Knaus is the genuis they say he is....I'd like to see him as the crew chief for Junior and see if he can work his magic on the #88!! :D
Luckygirl#13
Golden

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports