Racing

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.

Racing

Postby Doughboy » Wed 7/09/08 1:42 am

Tony Stewart is leaving JGR at the end of the year. Sounds like Home Depot is not going with him. The new team will be Stewart/Haas Racing

Rumor is he will drive the #14
If you are not going to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them
Doughboy
Rookie

Re: Racing

Postby gopher wes » Wed 7/09/08 6:30 am

should be a good deal for haas. tony should bring alot of energy and alot of funds to that team. i knew it was only a matter of time until tony got sick of putting on that fake smile when talking about toyota.
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Bigbeer » Wed 7/09/08 8:03 am

He'll be back in Chevy, a Hendrick one at that.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger
Bigbeer
Lifer

Postby Doughboy » Wed 7/09/08 12:45 pm

Mark Martin is taking the #5 ride as Casey Mears is out.

He is going to run the full season in 2009.

One last shot for a championship
If you are not going to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them
Doughboy
Rookie

Postby gopher wes » Thu 7/10/08 9:43 pm

Doughboy wrote:Mark Martin is taking the #5 ride as Casey Mears is out.

He is going to run the full season in 2009.

One last shot for a championship

that will be an all-star team if mark martin can perform at all next year. all three hendrick cars beside mears have been solid this year except for gordon at times but he has really turned it on as of late so the mark martin addition could do great things for them next season.

watched a tony stewart interview on espn tonight and tony mentioned wanting to be like a rick hendrick/childress owner who starts owning after finishing his driving career. it would be tough to be as successful as guys like that. i hope he has alot of money to pump into that team because haas doesnt have an elite team by any stretch of the imagination.
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Doughboy » Fri 7/11/08 6:00 pm

Kinda makes ya wonder who is going to get the top equipment over at Hendrick. It seems for the last few years the #48 has had the best cars. Now it seems the #88 is the cream this year. With Martin moving in to Team Ego now I wonder if he will get the best stuff in 2009 :?: :?:
Doughboy
Rookie

Postby gopher wes » Sat 7/12/08 3:54 pm

yea, the 88 sure has seemed to have the best equipment. you'd think with that money they would all have great cars but i agree with you on that point.

chicagoland tonight!! love the races under the lights. im still trying to decide whether to stay home and watch the race or head over to cedar lake speedway for some dirt track action tonight.
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby momo » Sat 7/12/08 4:26 pm

Doughboy wrote:Kinda makes ya wonder who is going to get the top equipment over at Hendrick. It seems for the last few years the #48 has had the best cars. Now it seems the #88 is the cream this year. With Martin moving in to Team Ego now I wonder if he will get the best stuff in 2009 :?: :?:
i think it's kind of different with hendrick, i saw a special on hendrick racing and all their drivers and crew chiefs said that they all get the same equip. i know that as far as engines go they put all the engines in one shop and number them 1- whatever and the crew cheifs pick a motor based on it's #, kind of like a draft.
momo
Golden

Postby gopher wes » Sat 7/12/08 4:34 pm

momo wrote:
Doughboy wrote:Kinda makes ya wonder who is going to get the top equipment over at Hendrick. It seems for the last few years the #48 has had the best cars. Now it seems the #88 is the cream this year. With Martin moving in to Team Ego now I wonder if he will get the best stuff in 2009 :?: :?:
i think it's kind of different with hendrick, i saw a special on hendrick racing and all their drivers and crew chiefs said that they all get the same equip. i know that as far as engines go they put all the engines in one shop and number them 1- whatever and the crew cheifs pick a motor based on it's #, kind of like a draft.

are any of these engines better or worse than the next one down the line?
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby momo » Sat 7/12/08 8:08 pm

gopher wes wrote:
momo wrote:

are any of these engines better or worse than the next one down the line?
they all start out the same, what a specific crew is able to do with it is another story, the crews do not build the engines, each crew has an engine guy that may be able to get more horse power out of an engine simply by knowledge or god forbid i say cheating, when they select their engines in the shop as i said earlier, the engines are randomly numbered, the the crew chiefs will take turns picking, i.e the 48 picks engine #15, the 24 picks #26,the 88 picks # 7, and the 5 picks # 20, then the process starts all over until all the engines are gone. to answer your ? i suppose it's like buyin a car, hundreds of different cars in the same model are made some are lemons some are not, luck of the draw.
momo
Golden

Postby Orion » Sun 7/13/08 11:04 am

momo wrote:

Does that also include teams like HAAS? I'm wondering how Stewart will do next year. With everyone in Hendrick starting from the same position with equipment it is no wonder that Mears is the odd man out.
Orion
Golden

Postby Doughboy » Sun 7/13/08 11:33 am

Kyle "Rowdy" Busch wins #7 for the year.

Man this kid is a hot shoe. He brings so much to Nascar these days.

I think Ralph Jr. picked the wrong team
Doughboy
Rookie

Postby gopher wes » Sun 7/13/08 12:38 pm

Doughboy wrote:Kyle "Rowdy" Busch wins #7 for the year.

i am personally not a fan of the guy so this season is getting real old for me. hopefully this is a one year deal for these gibbs guys. i know the chevy boys are complaining about needing the next higher engine package for the nationwide series to even the playing field with gibbs.....i wonder if it is the same way in the scs...?
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby momo » Sun 7/13/08 1:29 pm

Orion wrote:
momo wrote:

Does that also include teams like HAAS? I'm wondering how Stewart will do next year. With everyone in Hendrick starting from the same position with equipment it is no wonder that Mears is the odd man out.
haas runs henrick engines and there will be plenty of resorces for tony to tap into, i think he will do just fine. one thing that people tend to overlook is the relationship between driver and crew chief, some teams, like hendrick, really thrive on this. while guys like rowdy busch can just flat out drive anything for anybody.
momo
Golden

Postby Instigator » Sun 7/13/08 8:53 pm

gopher wes wrote:

i am personally not a fan of the guy so this season is getting real old for me. hopefully this is a one year deal for these gibbs guys. i know the chevy boys are complaining about needing the next higher engine package for the nationwide series to even the playing field with gibbs.....i wonder if it is the same way in the scs...?

Hmmmm ... makes you wonder who's getting the best equipment at JGR? Yeah, the Shrub is getting old for me, too. :bored:

NASCAR took 10 engines from Friday's Nationwide race for testing. It will be interesting to see if there are any rules changes as a result. I don't think the complaints are quite as loud on the Cup side. Yet. Chevy began using a new engine last year in Cup, the R07, and has five of the top nine drivers in the standings after Saturday's race.

Like most sports, NASCAR goes in cycles. A few years ago Roush was the hot team, then it was Hendrick's turn and this year it happens to be Gibbs.
"I'm alright ... Don't nobody worry 'bout me"
-- Kenny Loggins, "I'm Alright (Theme From Caddyshack)"

According to the 1980 Census, North Dakota is mainly used for storage.
Source: Federal Bureau of Miscellaneous Information, "The Late Show with David Letterman" 10-02-2009
Instigator
Rookie

Postby gopher wes » Sun 7/13/08 10:41 pm

Instigator wrote:
gopher wes wrote:

Hmmmm ... makes you wonder who's getting the best equipment at JGR? Yeah, the Shrub is getting old for me, too. :bored:

NASCAR took 10 engines from Friday's Nationwide race for testing. It will be interesting to see if there are any rules changes as a result. I don't think the complaints are quite as loud on the Cup side. Yet. Chevy began using a new engine last year in Cup, the R07, and has five of the top nine drivers in the standings after Saturday's race.

Like most sports, NASCAR goes in cycles. A few years ago Roush was the hot team, then it was Hendrick's turn and this year it happens to be Gibbs.

that is a great point. the announcers even said last night that busch doesnt know how long this run will last so he is enjoying every bit of it. i just hope it comes to an end soon because its all the same. he leads the most laps and is still there at the end every time. i agree with what you said though, the gibbs cars are hot right now and it will be interesting to see who cycles up next.
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Doughboy » Mon 7/14/08 4:00 pm

Ryan Newman will not be returning to Penske. Sounds like he going to drive for Stewart. 2 Indiana boys working together
Doughboy
Rookie

Postby Instigator » Mon 7/14/08 4:43 pm

Good move for both sides. I think Stewart-Haas needed to land a big-name driver, which not only will make them instantly competitive, but should help secure additional sponsorship. Newman is one of those guys that I think will benefit from a change in scenery.

Now, who is gonna be next? Penske and RCR are the major teams that currently have openings. I think Truex stays at DEI. Mears to RCR. I'd like to see Menard stay at DEI, too, but since he comes with a built in sponsor and Penske is going to lose Alltel, I could see him in the #12.

Source: Federal Bureau of Miscellaneous Information, "The Late Show with David Letterman" 10-02-2009
Instigator
Rookie

Postby gopher wes » Mon 7/14/08 6:16 pm

Doughboy wrote:Ryan Newman will not be returning to Penske. Sounds like he going to drive for Stewart. 2 Indiana boys working together

that will be very interesting! i have always liked newman....i will like him even more now that he will be driving a chevy.
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Doughboy » Tue 7/15/08 12:43 pm

New Rumor: Truex to Penske interesting.

DEI is in shambles. I read another report that if DEI does not have a big name driver, GM is going to pull the factory backing.

T. Earnhardt has really lost it.
Doughboy
Rookie

Postby frozen4champs » Tue 7/15/08 5:00 pm

Here a couple of my thoughts...

Other than a couple of races this year , I think it has been somewhat boring this year. I like passing, beat'n and banging, and wrecks. Kyle Busch seems to have the golden horse shoe this year. Stewart has had all the bad luck. What also worries me is the shutting down of teams and loss of sponsorships. Having only 45 cars trying to qualify for 43 spots also makes that a bit dull. I miss wild cards like Schrader, Said, and other small teams trying to make the show. I have a bad feeling that the haves--- Hendrick, Roush, Gibbs, RCR will get stronger and the have nots .... DEI, Waltrip, Ganassi, Petty's,and Bill Davis going away at some point. It's said to see as the sport grew,the small teams and tracks fade away.
frozen4champs
Golden

Postby Instigator » Tue 7/15/08 8:27 pm

Gotta love the NASCAR rumors, and how quick they change. Saturday they were saying on TV that Truex was as close as ever to returning to DEI. I'd hate to see him leave, but I wouldn't blame him either.

If DEI does lose Truex, or if they have to look for a partner to stay afloat or if they shut down, there will be only one person to blame: Teresa. She knew that company was built with the intent that it would someday be Kerry, Junior and Kelly's to run, but she blew it when she wouldn't step back and let Junior have majority ownership. Reportedly, she's tired of taking the heat for that. What's it gonna be like if Chevy does pull their backing, or she has to sell or shut down completely?

My guess is the sponsorship situation will get worse before it gets better. It's almost a no-win situation. Small teams can't compete without sponsorship $$$, but then how do companies justify putting money into a car that runs in the back and gets very little TV time?

Amid all of that doom and gloom, Brad Daugherty gets back into ownership in Nationwide and Cup:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=3490841

Instigator
Rookie

Postby Doughboy » Wed 7/16/08 11:59 am

Something is going to have to change. It seems Nascar is on the way to having 4 or 5 teams with 4 cars. Really sad!!!
Doughboy
Rookie

Postby gopher wes » Tue 7/22/08 5:59 pm

Doughboy wrote:Something is going to have to change. It seems Nascar is on the way to having 4 or 5 teams with 4 cars. Really sad!!!

thats not going to change......if ya dont got $$, then you're going home.
I ♥ Golden Gopher Hockey :pelvic_thrust:
Playstation Network Username: gopher_wes
Golden Gopher Hockey 2011-2012: "We Found Love in a Hopeless Place"
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=29 ... ef=profile
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Instigator » Tue 7/22/08 6:21 pm

This hurts! Penalties against the #1 car will stand. Truex drops to 17th, 233 points out of the Chase.

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/cup/07/21/mtruexjr.penalty.appeals.upheld/index.html

Instigator
Rookie

Postby Instigator » Wed 7/23/08 4:52 pm

NASCAR tries to level the playing field in the Nationwide series and orders Toyotas to cut horsepower. Surprisingly, it was not the #20 that was at the top of the dyno tests.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/nationwide/news/story?id=3501562

Instigator
Rookie

Postby frozen4champs » Wed 7/23/08 5:59 pm

Instigator wrote:NASCAR tries to level the playing field in the Nationwide series and orders Toyotas to cut horsepower. Surprisingly, it was not the #20 that was at the top of the dyno tests.

This is total BS. Don't get me wrong, I buy american, but I have to side with Toyota on this one. They did nothing wrong, just worked harder. Roush should be happy now, he was the biggest whiner on this. The good old guys of Nascar ruled on this one....
frozen4champs
Golden

Postby Sioux/Bucky Hater » Wed 7/23/08 6:59 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Instigator wrote:NASCAR tries to level the playing field in the Nationwide series and orders Toyotas to cut horsepower. Surprisingly, it was not the #20 that was at the top of the dyno tests.

This is total BS. Don't get me wrong, I buy american, but I have to side with Toyota on this one. They did nothing wrong, just worked harder. Roush should be happy now, he was the biggest whiner on this. The good old guys of Nascar ruled on this one....

The same thing happened on the motorcycle drag racing circuit when Harley-Davidson started "waxing" everyone with their new V-rod. Everybody who was running a V-rod had to ad weight to their bikes to even the playing field.
Sioux/Bucky Hater
Golden

Postby Instigator » Wed 7/23/08 11:26 pm

This sounds like several years ago. One manufacturer might dominate a race or two and another would start whining. NASCAR then seemed to change the rules almost weekly to try and level the playing field.

I'm certainly not a Toyota fan and I don't like the way they've dominated Nationwide. But, if Chevy has a new engine that's comparable to Toyota's, why doesn't NASCAR let 'em use it? And if that puts pressure on the Ford and Dodge teams to come up with something better ... well, isn't that the way it should be? That leads to better competition. Come up with something better than the other guy, don't bring them down to your level.

Instigator
Rookie

Postby Doughboy » Sat 7/26/08 10:49 am

Rumors that MWR and Ganassi to combine forces. Would probably help both teams
Doughboy
Rookie

Postby Doughboy » Sat 7/26/08 10:54 am

Jaime Mac to RCR to drive the #33 ???
Doughboy
Rookie

Postby gopher wes » Sat 7/26/08 1:29 pm

Doughboy wrote:Jaime Mac to RCR to drive the #33 ???

is that true? i have always kind of liked jamie.....it would be fun to see him running a chevy.
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Instigator » Sat 7/26/08 3:53 pm

I haven't heard Jamie's name a lot during all the Silly Season stuff, but I'd love to see him in a Chevy, too!

ESPN is reporting that Martin Truex, Jr. has agreed in principle to a two-year extention with DEI. :dance:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=3506151

Instigator
Rookie

Postby gopher wes » Sun 7/27/08 11:25 am

Instigator wrote:I haven't heard Jamie's name a lot during all the Silly Season stuff, but I'd love to see him in a Chevy, too!

ESPN is reporting that Martin Truex, Jr. has agreed in principle to a two-year extention with DEI. :dance:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=3506151

thats huge for dei! they needed truex to stay but i still think they need to aquire another big name driver. not sure if they can support two drivers since it looks like they are struggling to do that this season with truex and martin.
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Doughboy » Sun 7/27/08 3:07 pm

Truex denies the report-- for now
Doughboy
Rookie

Postby frozen4champs » Sun 7/27/08 5:09 pm

Today race = most boring race ever. Goodyear missed the boat on this one. I would have hated to shell out $100 to watch this live. BTW, Johnson wins.
frozen4champs
Golden

Postby Doughboy » Mon 7/28/08 11:55 am

There was no real drama until the last few laps. Sounds like Jack Roush was real unhappy with the whole tire deal. It was easy to see that the #48 was the cream
Doughboy
Rookie

Postby Doughboy » Mon 7/28/08 12:09 pm

frozen4champs wrote:Today race = most boring race ever. Goodyear missed the boat on this one. I would have hated to shell out $100 to watch this live. BTW, Johnson wins.

"worst race ever"
Doughboy
Rookie

Postby Doughboy » Thu 8/07/08 1:47 pm

Truex to sign now

Sounds like Mark Martin is going to drive the #5 for the last 4 races of the year
Doughboy
Rookie

Postby gopher wes » Sun 8/17/08 12:30 pm

Michigan today. i hope JR can sweep the Michigan races this year. he needs big MO on his side going into the chase and he needs to get hot because the three guys ahead of him will all have more bonus points going into the chase.

only four races left before the chase so the guys on the bubble need to put up or shut up.
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Dances With Gophers » Sun 8/17/08 5:05 pm

Suddenly, it all makes sense: "ND produces enough sugarbeets that produce enough sugar to sweeten 27 billion gallons of Kool-Aid." ND Fun Facts Image :ahhh:
Dances With Gophers
Golden

Postby WIgopher » Mon 8/18/08 9:46 am

Dances With Gophers wrote:Steroids, corked bats...magnets?

Nationwide teams irked by alleged Gibbs Racing team's cheating

The rule they were attempting to "follow" came out a month ago. I never agreed with it when it came out. So the Toyota cars had more HP. It happens. Just means that the U.S. makers needed to work harder to bump theirs up.

Not to mention a log of NASCAR people knew that Toyota was going to have more HP than the U.S. makers would, and it has shown. The biggest question though is if the added HP really has helped them win tons of races.
WIgopher
Super Vet

Postby st15 » Sun 8/24/08 12:51 pm

I'm getting somewhat bored with watching NASCAR. It's really repetitive watching 2 guys win every week. It seems like nobody can beat the 18 or the 99. Something about those 2 guys or their teams or whatever it is has them winning everything. And it could be the fact that I am a diehard 88 fan, but I get really bored watching those Busch and Edwards win every week. Hopefully the chase will be more exciting but I doubt it since Busch has won so many races and will get more bonus points to pad his lead.
st15
Rookie

Postby Instigator » Sun 8/24/08 9:37 pm

Yeah, I'm a big Junior fan too. But I gotta admit the end of Saturday night's race took a little of the edge off the 18th place finish. I loved the Edwards-Busch fireworks!

Ironically, it was after the Nationwide race at Richmond that Busch said he didn't care who it was, he'd wreck anybody to win a race. So the next day in Cup, he takes out Junior to win. Last night, the shoe is on the other foot, Busch gets the short end of the bump and run from Edwards, and what happens? He (and JD Gibbs) cry foul! Gimme a break! The bump and run is part of Bristol. Besides, what goes around eventually comes around, and Busch finally got a taste of his own medicine. Deal with it Pee Wee!

One bad race in the Chase can pretty much end your chances of winning the championship. So if Carl and The Shrub want to start something and take each other out in the Chase, that's fine with me! That'll just open the door for someone else ...

Instigator
Rookie

Postby Doughboy » Mon 8/25/08 6:51 pm

Rowdy is having a great year this year.

On the same note, Nascar badly needed a rivalry or a villain. I hope this Edwards-Busch thing continues.

Go Rowdy #18 !!!!
Doughboy
Rookie

Postby Doughboy » Tue 9/09/08 4:47 pm

With the #48 streaking and the chase starting

Who does everyone think is going to win it?? The #18, #99 or the #48
Doughboy
Rookie

Postby Orion » Tue 9/09/08 5:05 pm

I've got money on the 20 Car. :D I'd say Johnson is the odds on fav the way he has been running lately. The 99 should be a threat and the 20 car has been running good, but not quite getting things all the way corrected. I think Kyle busch may have dropped off a little in the last couple of weeks.
Orion
Golden

Postby momo » Tue 9/09/08 5:05 pm

Doughboy wrote:With the #48 streaking and the chase starting

i'm not a jr. fan but i think this might be his year.
momo
Golden

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Tue 9/09/08 5:59 pm

Doughboy wrote:With the #48 streaking and the chase starting

Tony is my driver....Gotta go with #20!! I think he is gonna surprise people and win a few races...including Talladega!! You heard it here first. Shrub(#18) is on the downslide.....
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby gopher wes » Tue 9/09/08 6:58 pm

48 is hot right now.....hard to pick against him. i hope whiny kyle tanks in the chase. i hope tony keeps complaining about his team and stays winless this year....just dont really care for the guy. i really wanna see the 88 team get kickstarted here in the chase. it seems like his car always seems to get worse or stay the same during a race, he is never the guy that gets better as the race goes on. hopefully they can get it going and get hot during that chase.h
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Dances With Gophers » Sat 9/20/08 12:42 pm

NASCAR's tougher drug policy to include random testing :lol:

Really? Maybe for greenies it would make sense...
Suddenly, it all makes sense: "ND produces enough sugarbeets that produce enough sugar to sweeten 27 billion gallons of Kool-Aid." ND Fun Facts Image :ahhh:
Dances With Gophers
Golden

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Mon 10/06/08 10:38 am

Tony Stewart wins his first ever cup race at Talladega! Of course not without controversy. What is the general opinion of race fans? Was the passs by Regan Smith illegal? Was Nascar right in calling Tony the winner?

On a related note....that was one of the most exciting races I have seen in a long time! Too bad about Junior. I think he would have won that race if not for the Big One.
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby WIgopher » Mon 10/06/08 10:48 am

Honestly, both drivers should have been penalized. Tony for blocking bellow the yellow, and Regan for passing bellow the yellow. This would have given the win to Menard I believe.

Personally though, I think this rule is s**t. Especially on the last lap. Otherwise, it really wasn't that bad of a race.
WIgopher
Super Vet

Postby Doughboy » Mon 10/06/08 6:47 pm

I would bet all that I own that if the cars were reversed Stewart would have got the call
Doughboy
Rookie

Postby Bigbeer » Mon 10/06/08 7:40 pm

Pretty easy call, really. Regan passed below the yellow line. Stewart has every right to go down and block him. The rule is there because on those 2 plate tracks, there's a huge transition where the yelow line is because of the big banking. Guys were going down into the transition to pass and causing wrecks when they tried to come back up and lost it. I'm surprised that Regan even made a big deal about it. It's a clear cut rule that's been there for a while. If you ever get to go to Daytona or Talladega, you'd realize just how high the banking is and how easy it is for drivers to lose control going from the banking to the flat in the corners.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger
Bigbeer
Lifer

Postby gopher wes » Tue 10/07/08 12:13 am

say what you want about that scenario but its obvious that tony blocked him down below the line. i guarantee that had that happened to tony, we would not hear the end of it. i feel bad for reagan because he will probably never have a chance to win a race ever again and i think he got jobbed.

on a different note, its no wonder carl edwards was racing in the back all day. the moron takes out two of his teammates in one shot after about ten laps of racing up front with the leaders. it frustrates me being a jr fan too since the 88 got caught up in that, but how bad must it have been to be a rousch fan on that wreck?

on the chase, jimmie got lucky on sunday and has the lead in the chase. looks like we are on our way to a three-peat for the 48.
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Tue 10/07/08 9:37 am

I think Nascar made the right call on this one. It doesn't seem like Regan was forced below the yellow line....he was just going for it and made a dumb mistake.

Unfortunately I have to agree with gopher wes....I think Johnson will win the championship again. And it pains me to have to say that. Not a fan. I would like to see someone like Jeff Burton win the cup. I won't give up hope. But they are at Lowes this week. Gee, do you think Jimmy might win?? And is it just me or does ABC seem to have a hard on for Jimmy Johnosn? He's all they could talk about on Sunday. I'm sick of the Jimmy Johnson show!

Thanks for letting me vent. :anger:
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby gopher wes » Tue 10/07/08 11:03 am

Luckygirl#13 wrote:I think Nascar made the right call on this one. It doesn't seem like Regan was forced below the yellow line....he was just going for it and made a dumb mistake.

Unfortunately I have to agree with gopher wes....I think Johnson will win the championship again. And it pains me to have to say that. Not a fan. I would like to see someone like Jeff Burton win the cup. I won't give up hope. But they are at Lowes this week. Gee, do you think Jimmy might win?? And is it just me or does ABC seem to have a hard on for Jimmy Johnosn? He's all they could talk about on Sunday. I'm sick of the Jimmy Johnson show!

Thanks for letting me vent. :anger:

i am starting to like jimmie a little more....not really sure why but i just dont have that hatred toward him anymore. at least abc doesnt go on and on and on about kyky busch like fox did. i just a bout puked listening to dw as it was, but then he started talking about kyle and it made it that much worse.
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby stan_5150 » Tue 10/07/08 11:14 am

I'll take the cocky attitude of Kyle Busch over the corporate perfection of Jimmie Johnson any day of the week. It's the personalities that made NASCAR fun and interesting, and it's the corporate don't-piss-off-the-sponsor attitude that has ruined it.
Updated 4/13 StanimalsWorld
stan_5150
Super Vet

Postby WIgopher » Tue 10/07/08 11:41 am

stan_5150 wrote:I'll take the cocky attitude of Kyle Busch over the corporate perfection of Jimmie Johnson any day of the week. It's the personalities that made NASCAR fun and interesting, and it's the corporate don't-piss-off-the-sponsor attitude that has ruined it.

While I am a JJ fan, I have to agree with this. The fact that the sponsors now run the show almost sickens me to the point of not watching...but then what would I do on Sunday afternoons during the summer?
WIgopher
Super Vet

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Tue 10/07/08 12:36 pm

WIgopher wrote:
stan_5150 wrote:I'll take the cocky attitude of Kyle Busch over the corporate perfection of Jimmie Johnson any day of the week. It's the personalities that made NASCAR fun and interesting, and it's the corporate don't-piss-off-the-sponsor attitude that has ruined it.

While I am a JJ fan, I have to agree with this. The fact that the sponsors now run the show almost sickens me to the point of not watching...but then what would I do on Sunday afternoons during the summer?

Agreed about the Corporate BS. Hmm....I wonder what Tony Stewart will be like next year when he does not have Home Depot and JGR controlling him. It could get interesting again boys! :dance:
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby gopher wes » Tue 10/07/08 5:55 pm

Luckygirl#13 wrote:
WIgopher wrote:

Agreed about the Corporate BS. Hmm....I wonder what Tony Stewart will be like next year when he does not have Home Depot and JGR controlling him. It could get interesting again boys! :dance:

tony is annoying enough as it is.....i dont really wanna listen to his crap when he has no one to answer to. it wont really matter because i dont think tony will be much of a factor next year with his own team.
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby hrbekroenick » Tue 10/07/08 7:01 pm

I'm a Tony fan and hope he does well. It makes things more entertaining when they guys are angry and show it. I like hockey fights and I like Nascar fights.
hrbekroenick
Super Vet

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Wed 10/08/08 9:09 am

Has anyone ever been to Talladega? I haven't been there yet but me and friend are talking about going next October. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! So far I've only been to Michigan and Homestead.....and I'm thinking Talladega is quite a different experience! And I can't wait!!! :dance:
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby gopher wes » Wed 10/08/08 9:59 am

Luckygirl#13 wrote:Has anyone ever been to Talladega? I haven't been there yet but me and friend are talking about going next October. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! So far I've only been to Michigan and Homestead.....and I'm thinking Talladega is quite a different experience! And I can't wait!!! :dance:

i have been to texas, phoenix, and daytona. daytona was fun except no matter how high you sit in the stands, you can really only see half the race when they are going in front of the grandstands. i would assume talladega would be the same way.....my advice would be to bring some binoculars to try to watch when they are on the opposite side of the track from the grandstands. im pretty sure talladega is a party tho, not that other tracks arent, but talladega is known for being the party track isnt it?
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Doughboy » Tue 10/14/08 9:34 pm

It would be good for Nascar if a class act like Jeff Burton wins the championship.

Damn his car was hooked up on Saturday.
Doughboy
Rookie

Postby Doughboy » Fri 11/07/08 12:14 am

So who is it going to be people?

or

Doughboy
Rookie

Postby gopher wes » Fri 11/07/08 9:52 am

48, i got nothin against carl and i am actually kind of starting to like jimmie, but jimmie wont have that much bad luck two weeks in a row.
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby Superstar » Fri 11/07/08 10:19 am

GO JIMMIE!!!!
Superstar
Golden

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Fri 11/07/08 10:38 am

GO CARL GO CARL GO CARL!!!!
I'm sick of Jimmie Johnson and his cheating Crew Chief Chad Knaus. I find the Hendrick team very interesting. Why is it that Jimmie seems to be the one with best car week in and week out? Gordon hasn't won a race all year and Junior hasn't been very impressive either. I just don't believe that Jimmie Johnson is the BEST driver in Nascar. GO CARL!!!
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby Larch » Fri 11/07/08 11:10 am

Luckygirl#13 wrote:GO CARL GO CARL GO CARL!!!!
I'm sick of Jimmie Johnson and his cheating Crew Chief Chad Knaus. I find the Hendrick team very interesting. Why is it that Jimmie seems to be the one with best car week in and week out? Gordon hasn't won a race all year and Junior hasn't been very impressive either. I just don't believe that Jimmie Johnson is the BEST driver in Nascar. GO CARL!!!

He may not be the best, but he has to be one of the best with the best crew chief. With this new car, the clamps are that much tighter, and if Knaus is cheating, he must be doing a fine job of it.

I'm really against Carl, I'm tired of his goody two-shoes exterior, meanwhile even his own teammates don't really like him. He showed his true colors last year when he did what he did to Kenseth last year at Martinsville (I think). It could be worse, Kyle Busch could be winning this whole thing.
Larch
Rookie

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Fri 11/07/08 12:09 pm

Larch wrote:
Luckygirl#13 wrote:GO CARL GO CARL GO CARL!!!!

He may not be the best, but he has to be one of the best with the best crew chief. With this new car, the clamps are that much tighter, and if Knaus is cheating, he must be doing a fine job of it.

I'm really against Carl, I'm tired of his goody two-shoes exterior, meanwhile even his own teammates don't really like him. He showed his true colors last year when he did what he did to Kenseth last year at Martinsville (I think). It could be worse, Kyle Busch could be winning this whole thing.

Yes...Chad Knaus is very good at cheating! He could probably write a book.
I'm not against Carl, but I'm also not a big fan of his. I would just like to see someone different win the Championship. I was hoping this would be Jeff Burton's year. Oh well....it's not over yet! Agreed! It could be worse.....Shrub could have won this whole thing. It gives me great pleasure to see him falter.
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby Instigator » Fri 11/07/08 1:14 pm

Let me also say it could be a lot worse if it was Pee Wee the Shrub!

I really don't dislike Edwards that much. I think it's Jack Roush and his constant whining. Now he thinks NASCAR should throw out a driver's worst finish in the Chase, and count only nine of the 10 races toward the championship. WTF? Roush is just trying to cover Carl's butt for that bonehead move at Talladega that took out all of his teammates and several other chasers.

http://www.thatsracin.com/242/story/20455.html

If Johnson gains 90 points on Edwards and 50 on Biffle at Phoenix, he clinches. I've never been a big Johnson/Knaus fan and I would certainly like to see somebody else win. Yeah, they've cheated a race or two here and there, but you have to give them credit for their overall consistency and success.

I'd like to see Jeff Burton somehow win this thing too, but I just don't see the 48 team going in the tank the next two races. Being a loyal Chevy fan, I gotta go for Jimmie.

I know it wasn't the question, but since Brad Keselowski has faded down the stretch, I hope Clint Bowyer can hold off Edwards for the Nationwide championship ...

Instigator
Rookie

Postby Luckygirl#13 » Fri 11/07/08 1:46 pm

Nationwide series.....I'm cheering for Clint Bowyer! Met him a few weeks ago at the race and he was a cool guy.
Luckygirl#13
Golden

Postby Doughboy » Tue 11/11/08 5:46 pm

Nationwide--anybody but Carl

The stupid backflip is getting very old
Doughboy
Rookie

Next

Return to Other Sports