MLB News

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
Gopherguy05
Veteran

Re: MLB News

Postby Gopherguy05 » Thu Apr 05 2:03 pm

Jose Valverde who was 49-49 last season in save attempts blows his first one on opening day. Verlander goes 8 shutout innings, and Valverde blows it in the 9th. Tigers and Red Sox tied 2-2 going into the bottom of the 9th. :good2:

Gopherguy05
Veteran

Postby Gopherguy05 » Thu Apr 05 3:21 pm

And the Tigers walk off the Sox in the bottom of the 9th to give Valverde the win with a single down the line past a diving Nicky Punto...

Iceburg
Golden

Postby Iceburg » Thu Apr 05 4:43 pm

Thanks for posting, that was fun.

Retired Thread Police

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby dxmnkd316 » Tue Apr 10 9:39 pm

hmm....

The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back -H.Brooks

st8ofhockey: Is that a photocollage of a dick? Oh wait, that's Patrick Stewart

psych: haha, damnit dx, your phone is drunk again
dxmnkd316: f*** you, I can't stop any time I want
dxmnkd316: err wait

I don't think I'm always right. I just find it hard to operate on the opposite assumption.
Disclaimer: 95% of the things I post are jokes, sarcasm, or hyperbole. Thanks in advance for not taking things so literally

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Postby Bushwood Gopher » Wed Apr 11 2:27 pm

Wow the Tigers have been involved in some pretty crazy games to start the season so far. Verlander took a 1 hit shutout into the 9th today only to see the Rays string together three singles, a couples walks and 4 runs to beat the Tigers 4 - 2.

sunbone
Golden

Postby sunbone » Wed Apr 11 2:36 pm

Bushwood Gopher wrote:Wow the Tigers have been involved in some pretty crazy games to start the season so far. Verlander took a 1 hit shutout into the 9th today only to see the Rays string together three singles, a couples walks and 4 runs to beat the Tigers 4 - 2.

I was assuming that Delmon must have horriibly misplayed a ball in left for the Rays to come back like that but I see he didn't play today.

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Postby Bushwood Gopher » Wed Apr 11 3:16 pm

sunbone wrote:
Bushwood Gopher wrote:Wow the Tigers have been involved in some pretty crazy games to start the season so far. Verlander took a 1 hit shutout into the 9th today only to see the Rays string together three singles, a couples walks and 4 runs to beat the Tigers 4 - 2.

I was assuming that Delmon must have horriibly misplayed a ball in left for the Rays to come back like that but I see he didn't play today.

Ha. Don't worry about Delmon. They love him over in Detroit. Verlander was raving about him in Christensen's article from Sunday. Apparently Verlander isn't aware of dx's graphs showing that he can't hit....:wink:

sunbone
Golden

Postby sunbone » Wed Apr 11 3:41 pm

Bushwood Gopher wrote:
sunbone wrote:

Ha. Don't worry about Delmon. They love him over in Detroit. Verlander was raving about him in Christensen's article from Sunday. Apparently Verlander isn't aware of dx's graphs showing that he can't hit....:wink:

I'm not worried about Delmon. He'll wear out his welcome in Detroit soon enough. And he better get it going a little if you are going to win our bet. What was it again? I think it was he either needs to win the triple crown or a gold glove for you to win the bet. That is how I remember it.

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Postby Bushwood Gopher » Wed Apr 11 3:49 pm

sunbone wrote:
Bushwood Gopher wrote:
sunbone wrote:

I'm not worried about Delmon. He'll wear out his welcome in Detroit soon enough. And he better get it going a little if you are going to win our bet. What was it again? I think it was he either needs to win the triple crown or a gold glove for you to win the bet. That is how I remember it.

Lol. I think it was .300/20/100 and I need 2/3 to win. We never declared the stakes though. $20 Caribou gift card? That worked for Scooby and me once upon a time. :wink: :lol:

sunbone
Golden

Postby sunbone » Wed Apr 11 3:54 pm

Bushwood Gopher wrote: Lol. I think it was .300/20/100 and I need 2/3 to win. We never declared the stakes though. $20 Caribou gift card? That worked for Scooby and me once upon a time. :wink: :lol:

I'll have to check the archives. Could have sworn it was .300/30/100, 2 of 3. How about if I win I get the $20 card, if you win I send you an autographed Ron Gardenhire rookie card?

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Postby Bushwood Gopher » Wed Apr 11 4:06 pm

sunbone wrote:
Bushwood Gopher wrote: Lol. I think it was .300/20/100 and I need 2/3 to win. We never declared the stakes though. $20 Caribou gift card? That worked for Scooby and me once upon a time. :wink: :lol:

I'll have to check the archives. Could have sworn it was .300/30/100, 2 of 3. How about if I win I get the $20 card, if you win I send you an autographed Ron Gardenhire rookie card?

I think most would dispute that as an equal offer of FMV. :wink:

We gotta find that bet about Delmon. I can't find it at the moment.

Ok I found it--it was on page 6 of the 2011 Twins Offseason Gentlemen We Can Rebuild Them thread. The bet was .290/25/100 and any two of the three takes it.

sunbone
Golden

Postby sunbone » Thu Apr 12 8:29 am

Bushwood Gopher wrote:
sunbone wrote:

I think most would dispute that as an equal offer of FMV. :wink:

We gotta find that bet about Delmon. I can't find it at the moment.

Ok I found it--it was on page 6 of the 2011 Twins Offseason Gentlemen We Can Rebuild Them thread. The bet was .290/25/100 and any two of the three takes it.

gardy.jpg

You may be right. $1.25 on e-bay. Although it isn't autographed. But I'm sure the autograph would decrease the value for you. Bet sounds right. Good luck!

rowshkex
Veteran

Postby rowshkex » Fri Apr 13 4:48 pm

Well, this really isn't news, but...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/147381715.html
is rice chex.
is not Raphael.
is not quite Rau.
is not a hockey mind.
is a 1 time GPL Pick 'Em Weekly Non-Winner Tiebreaker Champion.
GPL's Resident Popcorn Popper :popcorn:

Tee09
Golden

Postby Tee09 » Fri Apr 13 4:49 pm

rowshkex wrote:Well, this really isn't news, but...

Is it safe to click on strib stuff yet?

Beauner
Golden

Postby Beauner » Fri Apr 13 8:12 pm

rowshkex wrote:Well, this really isn't news, but...

What that doesn't show is that he also drove in the only 2 Tiger runs of the game with a HR. :roll:
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

h8red
Veteran

Postby h8red » Mon Apr 16 12:02 pm

Bushwood Gopher wrote:
sunbone wrote:
Bushwood Gopher wrote:
sunbone wrote:

Lol. I think it was .300/20/100 and I need 2/3 to win. We never declared the stakes though. $20 Caribou gift card? That worked for Scooby and me once upon a time. :wink: :lol:

Here's the missed catch from Delmon "Rawlings" Young
http://minnesporta.com/2012/04/13/picture-of-the-day-delmon-youngs-360-spin-a-rama-missed-catch/

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby dxmnkd316 » Mon Apr 16 11:48 pm

Best left fielder in the game.
The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back -H.Brooks

I don't think I'm always right. I just find it hard to operate on the opposite assumption.
Disclaimer: 95% of the things I post are jokes, sarcasm, or hyperbole. Thanks in advance for not taking things so literally

h8red
Veteran

Postby h8red » Tue Apr 17 10:14 am

dxmnkd316 wrote:Best left fielder in the game.

You mean the best at being the most adventerous left fielder in the game. :good2:

Chris Eckes
Golden

Postby Chris Eckes » Tue Apr 17 10:45 am

Well... if the Tigers were playing the Twins Delmon likely would have been the best left fielder in THAT game ;)
Formerly known as The X Factor
Gopher Hockey: Minnesota's Pride on Ice
National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Pride on Ice Blog: http://prideoniceblog.blogspot.com (click on the ads!)
Founding Member of the :ahhh: Fan Club - Est. 9/15/2010
2010 GPL Fantasy Baseball Champion

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Postby Bushwood Gopher » Tue Apr 17 11:16 am

Tom Verducci of SI knocks it out of the park re: closers.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... =hp_t11_a0

sunbone
Golden

Postby sunbone » Tue Apr 17 11:53 am

The X Factor wrote:

Well... if the Tigers were playing the Twins Delmon likely would have been the best left fielder in THAT game ;)

No way. Willingham catches everything. Within 3 feet of where he is standing.

davescharf
Golden

Postby davescharf » Tue Apr 17 11:56 am

Did anyone else see this? I know Ankiel was once a pitcher, but talk about a cannon. :shock:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?conte ... b_wasmlb_1
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Snowcool08
Veteran

Postby Snowcool08 » Tue Apr 17 2:18 pm

Too bad Ankiel couldn't throw near the catcher when he was pitching. He does have a hell of an arm though. I like this video from a couple of years ago.

psych
Veteran

Postby psych » Tue Apr 17 3:05 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:Too bad Ankiel couldn't throw near the catcher when he was pitching. He does have a hell of an arm though. I like this video from a couple of years ago.

Second one the runner was safe, but I would have called him out too just by the sheer ridiculousness of that throw.

gopherguy13
Golden

Postby gopherguy13 » Sat Apr 21 4:19 pm

Phillip Humber (CWS) has a perfect game through 8 innings. Looks like FOX will be broadcasting the last inning

edit: Strikeout. 2 outs away.

1 out away!
Last edited by gopherguy13 on Sat Apr 21 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Everything's comin' up Milhouse!

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby dxmnkd316 » Sat Apr 21 4:21 pm

Hooooooly sheeet

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby dxmnkd316 » Sat Apr 21 4:23 pm

If I'm Alex Rios, I double hand that catch 100 times out of 100. That was a very risky way to preserve 8 1/3 perfect innings.

gopherguy13
Golden

Postby gopherguy13 » Sat Apr 21 4:26 pm

Perfect game!!!

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby dxmnkd316 » Sat Apr 21 4:26 pm

Wow! That was awesome!!!!

frozen4champs
Golden

Postby frozen4champs » Sat Apr 21 4:31 pm

gopherguy13 wrote:Phillip Humber (CWS) has a perfect game through 8 innings. Looks like FOX will be broadcasting the last inning

1 out away!

I think he has developed fine since he left the Twins.

gopherguy13
Golden

Postby gopherguy13 » Sat Apr 21 4:35 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby dxmnkd316 » Sat Apr 21 4:35 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
gopherguy13 wrote:Phillip Humber (CWS) has a perfect game through 8 innings. Looks like FOX will be broadcasting the last inning

1 out away!

A perfect game means (almost) nothing. I mean, Dallas Braden, that's a household name, right? ;)

frozen4champs
Golden

Postby frozen4champs » Sat Apr 21 4:43 pm

dxmnkd316 wrote:
frozen4champs wrote:

1 out away!

A perfect game means (almost) nothing. I mean, Dallas Braden, that's a household name, right? ;)

Typical Twins carma. The Twins get him in the Santana trade. He pitches a handful of games for Mn, then a couple of years later is a decent pitcher. Can't blame John Hill ( Dick Such ) on that one either :D

Kelor
Golden

Postby Kelor » Sat Apr 21 6:34 pm

Perfect Game!!

Gopherguy05
Veteran

Postby Gopherguy05 » Sat Apr 21 10:17 pm

Humber owes Jim Joyce for that perfect game. That was ball 4 to the last batter, but I guarantee that Ump was saying in his head, if its even remotely close I'm calling it strike 3 and not being Joyced.....

gopherguy13
Golden

Postby gopherguy13 » Sat Apr 21 10:35 pm

Gopherguy05 wrote:Humber owes Jim Joyce for that perfect game. That was ball 4 to the last batter, but I guarantee that Ump was saying in his head, if its even remotely close I'm calling it strike 3 and not being Joyced.....

Certainly hope he wasn't thinking that.

These umps are DAMN good. Should be able to make the right call regardless of the situation.

Didn't see any replay, just saw the live play once, but it didn't look like a terrible call. And the ump didn't hesitate even for a half second to think about it. He called it right away.

streakygopher
Golden

Postby streakygopher » Sat Apr 21 11:55 pm

I don't blame the ump even a little for making a decisive call on what appeared to be a swing. Humber was fortunate the guy went fishing for it, because it was not even close to the strike zone....also a little luck that a$$clown found the handle on the ball to make the throw at first.

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby dxmnkd316 » Sun Apr 22 9:04 am

streakygopher wrote:I don't blame the ump even a little for making a decisive call on what appeared to be a swing. Humber was fortunate the guy went fishing for it, because it was not even close to the strike zone....also a little luck that a$$clown found the handle on the ball to make the throw at first.

I completely agree. In that situation, 3-2, 2 outs, top of the 9th, perfect game intact, and you even so much as flinch at that ball you damn well better commit. If that ball is even close to the strike zone he's going to call it. If you so much as offer at it, he'll call a strike.

rowshkex
Veteran

Postby rowshkex » Sun Apr 22 11:12 am

dxmnkd316 wrote:
streakygopher wrote:I don't blame the ump even a little for making a decisive call on what appeared to be a swing. Humber was fortunate the guy went fishing for it, because it was not even close to the strike zone....also a little luck that a$$clown found the handle on the ball to make the throw at first.

I completely agree. In that situation, 3-2, 2 outs, top of the 9th, perfect game intact, and you even so much as flinch at that ball you damn well better commit. If that ball is even close to the strike zone he's going to call it. If you so much as offer at it, he'll call a strike.

Unfortunately.
is rice chex.
is not Raphael.
is not quite Rau.
is not a hockey mind.
is a 1 time GPL Pick 'Em Weekly Non-Winner Tiebreaker Champion.
GPL's Resident Popcorn Popper :popcorn:

dryfly
Veteran

Postby dryfly » Tue Apr 24 7:30 pm

Anyone paying attention to KC? This is what epic fail looks like ... 0-10 at home so far this season with an 11 game losing streak. Only 3 wins so far against 13 losses and they are losing again tonight.

Yikes.

JWG
Golden

Postby JWG » Tue Apr 24 7:33 pm

dryfly wrote:Anyone paying attention to KC? This is what epic fail looks like ... 0-10 at home so far this season with an 11 game losing streak. Only 3 wins so far against 13 losses and they are losing again tonight.

Yikes.

They'll sweep the Twins this weekend.
JWG
[This space for rent]

sunbone
Golden

Postby sunbone » Fri Apr 27 8:44 am

dryfly
Veteran

Postby dryfly » Fri Apr 27 9:43 am

From the linkie...

Further, a New York Post report states that Young was "highly intoxicated" and had to go to the hospital to sober up before being moved to the jail.

I really wish they'd post the blood alcohol on these kinds of things - give the kids something to shoot for when emulating their idols.

"Damn Bobby - you are already 75% of the way to a FULL DELMOND! Have another Morgan..."

[/snark]

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Postby Bushwood Gopher » Fri Apr 27 10:36 am

What an idiot. This should at least give him some street cred with Miggy Cabrera...

h8red
Veteran

Postby h8red » Fri Apr 27 10:45 am

dryfly wrote:Anyone paying attention to KC? This is what epic fail looks like ... 0-10 at home so far this season with an 11 game losing streak. Only 3 wins so far against 13 losses and they are losing again tonight.

Yikes.

Did anyone else see the video/image of the guy at KC sitting behind the plate reading a book?
Classic!

sunbone
Golden

Postby sunbone » Fri Apr 27 10:49 am

Bushwood Gopher wrote:

What an idiot. This should at least give him some street cred with Miggy Cabrera...

And Mel Gibson.

h8red
Veteran

Postby h8red » Fri Apr 27 11:20 am

psych wrote:
Snowcool08 wrote:Too bad Ankiel couldn't throw near the catcher when he was pitching. He does have a hell of an arm though. I like this video from a couple of years ago.

Second one the runner was safe, but I would have called him out too just by the sheer ridiculousness of that throw.

NICE! Not as good as Bo Jackson's throw-out of Harold Reynolds.

This is the only video I found of it, you have to watch about a minute in to see it.
http://soxanddawgs.com/harold-reynolds-finally-admits-he-was-out.html

Zwak
Golden

Postby Zwak » Wed May 02 8:47 pm

Umpire makes one of the worst calls ever. Batter was called out.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/ ... y/related/

GPL's official source of trivia.

gopherguy13
Golden

Postby gopherguy13 » Sat May 05 2:01 am

Albert Pujols....

JWG
Golden

Postby JWG » Sat May 05 7:57 am

Zwak wrote:Umpire makes one of the worst calls ever. Batter was called out.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/ ... y/related/

He's in the neighborhood... I mean same zip code for sure.
JWG
[This space for rent]

trixR4kids
Veteran

Postby trixR4kids » Sat May 05 12:42 pm

gopherguy13 wrote:Albert Pujols....

<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby dxmnkd316 » Sat May 05 1:17 pm

oh snap. That's brilliant on so many levels

Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Sat May 05 11:23 pm

Mariano blows out his knee shagging fly balls ?? He needs to end his career a better way. Hopefully he comes back for one more year.

gopherguy13
Golden

Postby gopherguy13 » Sun May 06 12:44 am

trixR4kids wrote:
gopherguy13 wrote:Albert Pujols....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is awesome.

Armadillo
Golden

Postby Armadillo » Sun May 06 6:25 pm

I just saw Bryce Harper steal home on a pickoff throw to first. Sweet Jesus in a hot dog bun...
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

JWG
Golden

Postby JWG » Fri Jun 01 8:04 pm

Man, I'm sure glad we got rid of that Johan Santana guy... he sucks and would be detriment to our pitching staff.
JWG
[This space for rent]

JWG
Golden

Postby JWG » Fri Jun 01 8:12 pm

JWG wrote:Man, I'm sure glad we got rid of that Johan Santana guy... he sucks and would be detriment to our pitching staff.

Edit:
I guess I should explain for those who's interwebs search engine is broken. On a night when Carl "MN's top Ace" Pavano gave up 7 runs on 2 HRs, Johan pitches the first no hitter in Mets history. No worries, we have Liriano back in the rotation.
JWG
[This space for rent]

sec 16 row16 seat 16 17
Golden

Postby sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 » Fri Jun 01 8:13 pm

Rick anderson would have ruined Santana.

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby dxmnkd316 » Fri Jun 01 8:13 pm

JWG wrote:Man, I'm sure glad we got rid of that Johan Santana guy... he sucks and would be detriment to our pitching staff.

lol. I sure hope that was a heaping portion of sarcasm there...

JWG
Golden

Postby JWG » Fri Jun 01 8:19 pm

dxmnkd316 wrote:

It's ridiculous to me how good "former Twins" are.
JWG
[This space for rent]

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby dxmnkd316 » Fri Jun 01 8:20 pm

JWG wrote:
dxmnkd316 wrote:

And he wasn't good here?

JWG
Golden

Postby JWG » Fri Jun 01 8:45 pm

dxmnkd316 wrote:
JWG wrote:
dxmnkd316 wrote:

And he wasn't good here?

Absolutely was. Most former Twins were good or better here, too. Just shouldn't have been let go or have stepped up 3 more levels since leaving.
JWG
[This space for rent]

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby dxmnkd316 » Fri Jun 01 8:48 pm

So you honestly think the Twins had any chance at keeping him?

dryfly
Veteran

Postby dryfly » Fri Jun 01 9:20 pm

dxmnkd316 wrote:So you honestly think the Twins had any chance at keeping him?

I agree - we have one of two options 1] keep them as long as possible, until they are too expensive for a minor market team to afford and get nothing for them OR 2] trade them way earlier with years under contract and get something for them.

None are great choices but without a printing press to mint money those are the choices the Twins have. Losing a boat load of money isn't an options the Pohlads tolerate long.

Gopherguy05
Veteran

Postby Gopherguy05 » Fri Jun 01 9:25 pm

Yes, he's having a good season this year. Does everyone just forget he pitched about 8 games the last 2 years combined. If he, Morneau and Mauer were all hurt at the same time this town would have burned Target Field down...

JWG
Golden

Postby JWG » Fri Jun 01 9:27 pm

The Twins have every chance at keeping anyone they want. They choose to keep the wrong people. Joe and Justin are my examples of that. Over $40m tied up in two part-time players. Anyway, many will disagree with me and that's ok, but yes I think they could have kept him if they really wanted to. Would I take him as our franchise player over Mauer? Yup.
JWG
[This space for rent]

The Rube
Golden

Postby The Rube » Fri Jun 01 9:29 pm

JWG wrote:

The Twins have every chance at keeping anyone they want. They choose to keep the wrong people. Joe and Justin are my examples of that. Over $40m tied up in two part-time players. Anyway, many will disagree with me and that's ok, but yes I think they could have kept him if they really wanted to. Would I take him as our franchise player over Mauer? Yup.

The Joe contract was a given. The Twins had a virtual gun to their head on that deal. They HAD to hand Joe a blank check, or it would have been the LA riots all over again. One of us, stud player (at the time), etc etc. It was a unique situation.
Also known as Brenthoven on USCHO.

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby dxmnkd316 » Fri Jun 01 9:33 pm

JWG wrote:

I thought I remember reading that the Twins essentially matched the Mets offer and Santana laughed at them.

Would you take him over Mauer? Now? Sure but hindsight is 20:20.

Gopherguy05
Veteran

Postby Gopherguy05 » Fri Jun 01 9:43 pm

dxmnkd316 wrote:
JWG wrote:

I thought I remember reading that the Twins essentially matched the Mets offer and Santana laughed at them.

Would you take him over Mauer? Now? Sure but hindsight is 20:20.

I bet he wouldn't have taken him when he missed the entire last season and a half with shoulder surgery. But you know, leaving out simple facts for your arguments sake it a nice convenience.

dryfly
Veteran

Postby dryfly » Fri Jun 01 9:47 pm

The Rube wrote:
JWG wrote:

The Joe contract was a given. The Twins had a virtual gun to their head on that deal. They HAD to hand Joe a blank check, or it would have been the LA riots all over again. One of us, stud player (at the time), etc etc. It was a unique situation.

That's why you never want to draft/sign hometown kids... its an almost no win situation.

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby dxmnkd316 » Fri Jun 01 9:50 pm

I dunno. There's a kid down in Rochester that sounds like he could be an absolute fireballer this year... I wouldn't mind if they took him. He's just flat out good.

trixR4kids
Veteran

Postby trixR4kids » Fri Jun 01 10:10 pm

dryfly wrote:

I agree - we have one of two options 1] keep them as long as possible, until they are too expensive for a minor market team to afford and get nothing for them OR 2] trade them way earlier with years under contract and get something for them.

None are great choices but without a printing press to mint money those are the choices the Twins have. Losing a boat load of money isn't an options the Pohlads tolerate long.

Brewers obviously just had the same issue with Prince and will likely have it with Greinke now.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Slap Shot
Golden

Postby Slap Shot » Fri Jun 01 11:42 pm

The Twins may have been able to keep Johan had they given him a reason to stay, or they could have better prepared for the inevitable and traded him at a time when they could have got more in return. And they didn't have to sign Mauer if they instead used the same amount to bring in 2-3 other players of value. I don't care about any supposed pitchfork parades that may have followed, a proper lineup would have still filled up the shiny new stadium.

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Postby Bushwood Gopher » Sat Jun 02 12:55 am

JWG wrote:

Santana made it crystal clear he was not coming back with the Twins. The Boston/Ellsbury and Yankee/Hughes deals were manufactured smoke screens designed to get the other to give away more assets in a perceived bidding war. So I guess my question is what would you have done differently than Twins management did? Once his stated intentions were to not return what were they going to get? This one was 100% on Santana. And I'd have been against the contract that he got from the Mets anyway if that was the Twins offering it instead. If anyone remembers, he had some velocity concerns at that time coming off his injury. Not exactly a safe long-term investment for any team.

jallengarry
Golden

Postby jallengarry » Sat Jun 02 7:26 am

Not to mention...had the Twins signed him to such a huge contract and he had the injury problems and lack of production he has had...people would have mocked and ridiculed the signing. You can't win.

Return to “Other Sports”