MLB News

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.

MLB News

Postby Hobey Baker » Fri 3/30/07 4:11 pm

The season starts Monday. Lets use this thread / spot to talk Baseball news as it happens thru the '07 season.

A place for roster, injury and trade updates! Who is hot? Who will win the Series? Road trips? A place for all our baseball italk, news and info!

Kenny Rogers has blood clot removed from his left shoulder and is expected out until July.

Gagne to start season on DL for Rangers.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Sat 3/31/07 9:58 am

Todd Walker signs with the A's.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Re: MLB News

Postby The Rube » Sat 3/31/07 10:27 am

Hobey Baker wrote:
Gagne to start season on DL for Rangers.

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you. Gagne is the new Griffey Jr.
Also known as Brenthoven on USCHO.
The Rube
Golden

Postby Ben » Thu 4/05/07 8:58 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/05/sports/baseball/05direct.ready.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

According to the NY Times, the long national nightmare of baseball fans is now over. Allegedly, MLB Extra Innings will no longer be exclusive to DirecTV.

Forgive me for being skeptecal, but I've heard this one already this spring. I'll believe it when I hear Vin Scully in my living room.
"If lessons are learned in defeat, our team is getting a great education."
- Murray Warmath
Ben
Golden

Postby Gophers4ever » Thu 4/05/07 9:59 am

Believe it Ben, I was watching the free preview last night at about 11PM. I'm a Comcast subscriber and they had said they would be able to get the package running a hour after the deal was done, looks like they were close.

As a Cardinal fan, I'm relieved that they were able to get the deal done, my TH complex won't allow me to put up a Directv dish. They do have dishes on top, but they are all for SDTV, and I'm not going to let my HDTV go to waste.
Gopher Hockey and Cardinal Baseball, what else do you need?
Gophers4ever
Super Vet

Postby Hobey Baker » Sat 4/07/07 11:48 pm

Sosa hits his 589th home run. It was his first since 2005.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Mon 4/09/07 4:28 pm

Did anyone see that Bud Seligs salary as commissioner was $14.5 million dollars? :shock:
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Dances With Gophers » Mon 4/09/07 5:05 pm

Hobey Baker wrote:Did anyone see that Bud Seligs salary as commissioner was $14.5 million dollars? :shock:

Yo dawg, that's, like, double this!
Dances With Gophers
Golden

Postby GoAwayWoog » Mon 4/09/07 5:13 pm

Dances With Gophers wrote:
Hobey Baker wrote:Did anyone see that Bud Seligs salary as commissioner was $14.5 million dollars? :shock:

Yo dawg, that's, like, double this!

Since this is A baseball topic, i'll pad my posting stats here. 14.5 Million! That is all I had to say. Too bad this isn't A contract year.
GoAwayWoog
Golden

Postby Bigbeer » Mon 4/09/07 8:14 pm

Even bad toupee's are expensive...
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger
Bigbeer
Lifer

Postby DrunkHockeyGuy » Mon 4/09/07 8:16 pm

He doesn't have a toupe? Why do I know this? Well I was on the road a few weeks ago and I was reading the USA Today sports page at breakfast and they were showing his habits and he FLY's to Milwaukee once a week to have the same guy cut his hair. :shock: They had a picture of him in the barber chair.
Apparently, I am a little bitch, oh the horror.
DrunkHockeyGuy
Lifer

Postby Bigbeer » Mon 4/09/07 8:26 pm

DrunkHockeyGuy wrote:He doesn't have a toupe? Why do I know this? Well I was on the road a few weeks ago and I was reading the USA Today sports page at breakfast and they were showing his habits and he FLY's to Milwaukee once a week to have the same guy cut his hair. :shock: They had a picture of him in the barber chair.

1. Maybe he should get one

2. Talk about a slow news day. USA today had an article about Bud Selig's "habits"? I'm sure #1 on his daily to-do list was "try to screw those stinkin' Twins"
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

Bigbeer
Lifer

Postby Ben » Mon 4/09/07 8:32 pm

Bigbeer wrote:I'm sure #1 on his daily to-do list was "try to screw those stinkin' Twins"

From the desk of Bud "Moran" Selig
To do, 4/10/07
1) Ignore steroids
2) Screw up baseball even more
3) :censored: the Twins
4) Find yet another way to screw up baseball. Maybe call a tie in a World Series game
- Murray Warmath
Ben
Golden

Postby Zwak » Mon 4/09/07 9:23 pm

Ben wrote:
Bigbeer wrote:I'm sure #1 on his daily to-do list was "try to screw those stinkin' Twins"

From the desk of Bud "Moran" Selig
To do, 4/10/07
1) Ignore steroids
2) Screw up baseball even more
3) :censored: the Twins
4) Find yet another way to screw up baseball. Maybe call a tie in a World Series game

(5) Prank call Donald Fehr and ask if his refrigerator is running (the only way he knows how to exact revenge on Players Association as everything else has been bargained away)
GPL's official source of trivia.
Zwak
Golden

Cleveland plays home game in Milwaukee

Postby Zwak » Wed 4/11/07 3:27 am

There were just over 19,000 fans in Milwaukee last night to watch the Cleveland "home" game vs. the Angels.

That's a lot more than I thought would show up.
Zwak
Golden

Re: Cleveland plays home game in Milwaukee

Postby Greyeagle » Wed 4/11/07 8:21 am

Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:There were just over 19,000 fans in Milwaukee last night to watch the Cleveland "home" game vs. the Angels.

That's a lot more than I thought would show up.

It's been a long time since Brewer fans have had the opportunity to watch two good teams play at Miller Park; in fact, this may be a first. :dance: :twisted: :evil_laugh: :hug: :D
Piss on you, I'm working for {Jupiter!} Mel Brooks!

"They'll come to Iowa City. They'll think it's really boring."
Greyeagle
Golden

Postby Ben » Mon 4/16/07 10:14 am

Major League Baseball and ESPN honor Jackie Robinson by having Marlon Wayans speak before the Dodgers game last night.

People who should have been offered the gig ahead of Marlon Waynes: James Earl Jones, Samuel L. Jackson, Sidney Poitier, Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington, Don Cheadle, Cuba Gooding Jr., Spike Lee, Ving Rhames, Michael Clark Duncan, Louis Gossett Jr., Halle Berre, Cicely Tyson, Jesse L. Martin Bill Cosby, Jaime Foxx, Angela Bassett, Will Smith, Sinbad, Taye Diggs, Omar Epps, Mike Epps, Ice Cube, Ice T, Donald Faison, Damon Wayans, Keenan Ivory Wayans, Al Jolson, and about 200 others.

Seriously, what the hell was MLB thinking? Was there possibly a worse choice than Marlon Wayans to speak about Jackie Robinson? Hank Aaron and Frank Robinson were there to throw out the 1st pitch. What a depressing joke.

(Edut: Whoups, Spellang Arrur. That's what I get for not seeing a movie with a Wayans in it since Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood)
Last edited by Ben on Mon 4/16/07 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben
Golden

Postby Zwak » Mon 4/16/07 10:29 am

Ben wrote:Major League Baseball and ESPN honor Jackie Robinson by having Marlon Waynes speak before the Dodgers game last night.

People who should have been offered the gig ahead of Marlon Waynes: James Earl Jones, Samuel L. Jackson, Sidney Poitier, Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington, Don Cheadle, Cuba Gooding Jr., Spike Lee, Ving Rhames, Michael Clark Duncan, Louis Gossett Jr., Halle Berre, Cicely Tyson, Jesse L. Martin Bill Cosby, Jaime Foxx, Angela Bassett, Will Smith, Sinbad, Taye Diggs, Omar Epps, Mike Epps, Ice Cube, Ice T, Donald Faison, Damon Waynes, Keenan Ivory Waynes, Al Jolson, and about 200 others.

Seriously, what the hell was MLB thinking? Was there possibly a worse choice than Marlon Waynes to speak about Jackie Robinson? Hank Aaron and Frank Robinson were there to throw out the 1st pitch. What a depressing joke.

It's 'Wayans' by the way, not 'Waynes' :wave:

But you're right. What were they thinking? They are smack dab in the middle of Hollywood and the best they could do was Marlon Wayans?

This seems like someone the NBA would pick, not MLB.
Zwak
Golden

Postby dailyfbo » Mon 4/16/07 10:32 am

Anybody have any idea what MLB did 10 years ago on the 50th anniversary of Robinson's debut? I don't recall there being this much hooplah but with the Twins in the state they were in at the time, I probably wasn't paying much attention to Major League Baseball at the time.
dailyfbo
Golden

Postby Gophers4ever » Mon 4/16/07 10:44 am

At Shea Selig retired the number 42 with the lovely Mrs Robinson and her family on hand.

Seriously, is this a great woman or what? Very eloquent and still looking good for a woman that has to be at least 80. Baseball could definitely use her as a Ambassador.
Gophers4ever
Super Vet

Postby dailyfbo » Mon 4/16/07 10:48 am

Gophers4ever wrote:At Shea Selig retired the number 42 with the lovely Mrs Robinson and her family on hand.

Seriously, is this a great woman or what? Very eloquent and still looking good for a woman that has to be at least 80. Baseball could definitely use her as a Ambassador.

Does the fact that Ken Griffey Jr. came up with the idea of wearing No. 42 to honor Robinson this weekend instead of Selig show what a total worthless hack of a commissioner Selig is? Or does all his previous great ideas do that and the Robinson thing just cement it?
dailyfbo
Golden

Postby sagard » Mon 4/16/07 10:52 am

Ben wrote:Seriously, what the hell was MLB thinking? Was there possibly a worse choice than Marlon Waynes to speak about Jackie Robinson? Hank Aaron and Frank Robinson were there to throw out the 1st pitch. What a depressing joke.

I didn't hear/see him speak, but if he is a big baseball or Jackie Robinson fan I'd rather hear what he has to say vs. a bigger name who hasn't been to a game in 25 years.
sagard
Super Vet

Postby Gophers4ever » Mon 4/16/07 10:54 am

It's certainly possible Mrs Robinson had a say in this too. It sounds like there is a movie about Jackie being worked on, maybe he is involved in that.
Gophers4ever
Super Vet

Postby Greyeagle » Mon 4/16/07 11:02 am

sagard wrote:
Ben wrote:Seriously, what the hell was MLB thinking? Was there possibly a worse choice than Marlon Waynes to speak about Jackie Robinson? Hank Aaron and Frank Robinson were there to throw out the 1st pitch. What a depressing joke.

I didn't hear/see him speak, but if he is a big baseball or Jackie Robinson fan I'd rather hear what he has to say vs. a bigger name who hasn't been to a game in 25 years.

He was certainly a better choice than one of the reverends who have been dominating the news lately.
Piss on you, I'm working for {Jupiter!} Mel Brooks!

"They'll come to Iowa City. They'll think it's really boring."
Greyeagle
Golden

Postby Zwak » Mon 4/16/07 11:06 am

Greyeagle wrote:
sagard wrote:

He was certainly a better choice than one of the reverends who have been dominating the news lately.

Pure speculation on my part but maybe one of the reverends was their original choice but MLB got cold feet and had to settle for Marlon Wayans at the last minute.
Zwak
Golden

Postby Ben » Mon 4/16/07 11:09 am

Zwak wrote:
Greyeagle wrote:
sagard wrote:

Pure speculation on my part but maybe one of the reverends was their original choice but MLB got cold feet and had to settle for Marlon Wayans at the last minute.

Mr. Jackson was there. They panned to him while Marlon was speaking. I wouldn't bet against MLB originally having him lined up to speak.
Ben
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Tue 4/17/07 12:55 am

Soriano leaves game with strained hamstring.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Wed 4/18/07 12:59 am

Sosa hits a three run homer in his return to Chicago.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Dumb question...AGAIN!

Postby Zwak » Wed 4/18/07 9:02 am

Yes...I like sports but don't always know everything about them. I have another question.

How is it determined that someone is credited with a Sacrifice?

I know what a sacrifice is, but the announcer will sometimes say, "He should be credited with a sacrifice" but other times they will say that he won't be.

I'm confused (which should come as no surprise).
Zwak
Golden

Re: Dumb question...AGAIN!

Postby Thirty-Four » Wed 4/18/07 9:05 am

Zwak wrote:Yes...I like sports but don't always know everything about them. I have another question.

I know what a sacrifice is, but the announcer will sometimes say, "He should be credited with a sacrifice" but other times they will say that he won't be.

It's the judgement (as with nearly everything statistically...) of the official scorer of the home team. I believe Tommy Mee is still the Twins OS.
Get the cigarette lighter fixed
Thirty-Four
Golden

Postby Iceburg » Wed 4/18/07 9:07 am

10.08 Sacrifices
The official scorer shall:
(a) Score a sacrifice bunt when, before two are out, the batter advances one or more runners with a bunt and is put out at first base, or would have been put out except for a fielding error, unless, in the judgment of the official scorer, the batter was bunting exclusively for a base hit and not sacrificing his own chance of reaching first base for the purpose of advancing a runner or runners, in which case the official scorer shall charge the batter with a time at bat;
Rule 10.08(a) Comment: In determining whether the batter had been sacrificing his own chance of reaching first base for the purpose of advancing a runner, the official scorer shall give the batter the benefit of the doubt. The official scorer shall consider the totality of the circumstances of the at-bat, including the inning, the number of outs and the score.
(b) Score a sacrifice bunt when, before two are out, the fielders handle a bunted ball without error in an unsuccessful attempt to put out a preceding runner advancing one base, unless, an attempt to turn a bunt into a putout of a preceding runner fails, and in the judgment of the official scorer ordinary effort would not have put out the batter at first base, in which case the batter shall be credited with a one-base hit and not a sacrifice;
(c) Not score a sacrifice bunt when any runner is put out attempting to advance one base on a bunt, in which case the official scorer shall charge the batter with a time at bat; and
(d) Score a sacrifice fly when, before two are out, the batter hits a ball in flight handled by an outfielder or an infielder running in the outfield in fair or foul territory that
(1) is caught, and a runner scores after the catch, or
(2) is dropped, and a runner scores, if in the scorer's judgment the runner could have scored after the catch had the fly been caught.
Rule 10.08(d) Comment: The official scorer shall score a sacrifice fly in accordance with Rule 10.08(d)(2) even though another runner is forced out by reason of the batter becoming a runner.

Retired Thread Police
Iceburg
Golden

Postby Composer » Wed 4/18/07 10:26 am

Zwak wrote:Yes...I like sports but don't always know everything about them. I have another question.

If you are bunting with the intent to move your teammate up a base, it is a sacrifice. If you bunt such that you are trying to get on base, in the opinion of the official scorer, you may not get that sacrifice.

It is unusual for that call to be made, though.

It isn't whether you are running hard, it's where you bunt it. A clear example might be a lefty bunting the ball hard toward the 2nd basemen (a drag bunt). This is a classic bunt for a hit strategy and would risk getting the lead runner out (or a double play) if you don't get it past the pitcher.
Composer
Super Vet

Postby dailyfbo » Wed 4/18/07 10:57 am

Zwak wrote:Yes...I like sports but don't always know everything about them.

On a fairly civil message board like GPL, you can get away with such an admission. But be careful with this type of talk elsewhere. You get flamed at best and banned at worst.

:lol:
dailyfbo
Golden

You make the call

Postby Zwak » Wed 4/18/07 11:09 am

Here's a good trivia question I recently read:

If a batted ball hits the pitching rubber and proceeds to cross the baseline between home and first (or home and third), what is the call? The ball does not touch any player.

BTW, I think I read it in this book that I just bought.

http://www.amazon.com/Watching-Baseball ... 513&sr=1-1

It's a pretty good read. (Usual disclaimer - I have no connection to the book or author)
Zwak
Golden

Re: You make the call

Postby dailyfbo » Wed 4/18/07 11:16 am

Zwak wrote:Here's a good trivia question I recently read:

If a batted ball hits the pitching rubber and proceeds to cross the baseline between home and first (or home and third), what is the call? The ball does not touch any player.

It's a pretty good read. (Usual disclaimer - I have no connection to the book or author)

My first thought is that it should be ruled a foul ball. But I can also see the pitching rubber being regarded like a base and once the ball hits it, the ball is considered to be fair.

Is/was there really a rule that if a player picks up a live ball with any piece of equipment other than his glove, the baserunners move up three bases? I once read a story where Gene Mauch pulled that rule out of his memory banks after seeing an opposing catcher scoop up the ball with his mask.
dailyfbo
Golden

Re: You make the call

Postby Zwak » Wed 4/18/07 11:28 am

dailyfbo wrote:
Zwak wrote:Here's a good trivia question I recently read:

My first thought is that it should be ruled a foul ball. But I can also see the pitching rubber being regarded like a base and once the ball hits it, the ball is considered to be fair.

Is/was there really a rule that if a player picks up a live ball with any piece of equipment other than his glove, the baserunners move up three bases? I once read a story where Gene Mauch pulled that rule out of his memory banks after seeing an opposing catcher scoop up the ball with his mask.

It is a foul ball.

I believe there is a rule about a catcher using equipment to field a ball. I just can't remember what it is. I do recall it happening even more recently than Gene Mauch. A catcher dropped a pitch and corraled it in with his mask. I just wish I could remember what the call was.

It may be a variation of a catchers balk. I saw this called once. The catcher came out of the box too early on a pitch out.
Zwak
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Wed 4/18/07 9:26 pm

Buerhle throws a no hitter for the Sox tonight vs Texas.

A Rod hits his 9th homer.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Thu 4/19/07 9:18 pm

A Rod hits his 10th homer of the season. A walk off two run shot as the Yanks come back to beat the Indians.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Fri 4/20/07 9:41 pm

A Rod hits HR 11 and 12 in a loss to Boston today. A Rod now has 30 RBI's. This guy is on fire!
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby h8red » Sat 4/21/07 7:51 am

Hobey Baker wrote:A Rod hits HR 11 and 12 in a loss to Boston today. A Rod now has 30 RBI's. This guy is on fire!

I think the stress of last year's poor season has gotten to him. I wouldn't be surprised if he has given in to the temptation of Mr. Steroid.
h8red
Super Vet

Postby dxmnkd316 » Sat 4/21/07 10:03 am

h8red wrote:
Hobey Baker wrote:A Rod hits HR 11 and 12 in a loss to Boston today. A Rod now has 30 RBI's. This guy is on fire!

I think the stress of last year's poor season has gotten to him. I wouldn't be surprised if he has given in to the temptation of Mr. Steroid.

I sure hope not. He's one of the few Y :censored: ees that I had some respect for.

Edit:

1. Did anyone see Coco Crisp go over the fence trying to save #2 of the A-rod homers?? Talk about selling out for the team!

2. And yeah, what's up with the green jerseys?

3. Is this the same Kyle Loshe that we got rid of??! Link

Edit 2: - BoSox jerseys were to honor Red Auerbach.
The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back -H.Brooks

st8ofhockey: Is that a photocollage of a dick? Oh wait, that's Patrick Stewart

psych: haha, damnit dx, your phone is drunk again
dxmnkd316: f*** you, I can't stop any time I want
dxmnkd316: err wait

I don't think I'm always right. I just find it hard to operate on the opposite assumption.
Disclaimer: 95% of the things I post are jokes, sarcasm, or hyperbole. Thanks in advance for not taking things so literally
dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby gator » Sat 4/21/07 6:54 pm

A NY Mets fan charge with using a flashlight to distract Braves players.

LINK
KEEP YOUR STICK ON THE ICE
:trashpc:
The poster formerly known as gatorice
gator
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Sun 4/22/07 12:26 am

Phillies turn triple play v Cincinnati.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Cowgirl » Sun 4/22/07 9:10 pm

Anyone watching the Sox/Yankees?

Red Sox hit four consecutive homers.

First time an AL team has done that since the Twins in '64 :)
Cowgirl
Golden Princess

Postby Hobey Baker » Tue 4/24/07 12:24 am

Frank Thoma hits homer # 490.

A Rod hits two more homers and now has 14.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Thu 4/26/07 12:02 am

Cub's Prior done for the season. Surgery is not career threatening but another set back for the pitcher. His future with the Cubs is unclear.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Schilling bloody sock a hoax?

Postby Zwak » Thu 4/26/07 9:11 am

According to Gary Thorne, Shilling's bloody sock was a PR hoax.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball ... sock_N.htm
Zwak
Golden

Postby Ben » Thu 4/26/07 9:15 am

Hobey Baker wrote:Cub's Prior done for the season. Surgery is not career threatening but another set back for the pitcher. His future with the Cubs is unclear.

I feel bad for the guy. He was unstoppable when he came up. Just another great young arm ground to nothing by Dusty Baker. You could see the smoke coming out of arms when he was in Chicago. They had nearly their entire rotation out last year at one point.
- Murray Warmath
Ben
Golden

Postby dxmnkd316 » Sat 4/28/07 12:24 pm

ESPN Radio is reporting that Joe Torre could be fired if the Sox sweep the yankees this time around.

Dumb move. Dumb dumb dumb. Probably one of the greatest managers in the history of the game and there is talk of firing him...
The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back -H.Brooks

I don't think I'm always right. I just find it hard to operate on the opposite assumption.
Disclaimer: 95% of the things I post are jokes, sarcasm, or hyperbole. Thanks in advance for not taking things so literally
dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby Hobey Baker » Sun 4/29/07 1:04 am

dxmnkd316 wrote:ESPN Radio is reporting that Joe Torre could be fired if the Sox sweep the yankees this time around.

Dumb move. Dumb dumb dumb. Probably one of the greatest managers in the history of the game and there is talk of firing him...

It is all about winning in NY. Losing 7 in a row is unacceptable, especially with their payroll and Georges's expectations. Winning World Series is what it is all about.

Yankess are 9 -13 and in last place in the AL East.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby allan » Sun 4/29/07 3:58 am

Hobey Baker wrote:Cub's Prior done for the season. Surgery is not career threatening but another set back for the pitcher. His future with the Cubs is unclear.

Feel bad for the guy, but I'm glad the Twins didn't draft him. I like this Mauer guy. :D
Paladin wrote:Good for you. FIRE MASON, HIRE allan!

:goldykill: :evil_laugh: :dance:
allan
Golden

Postby erbear04 » Sun 4/29/07 11:38 am

[url=http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070429&content_id=1936551&vkey=pr_stl&fext=.jsp&c_id=stl]Cardinals bullpen pitcher Josh Hancock killed in car accident late last night
[/url]
MAP wrote:
I mean come on, the Martians were killed off by awful music!!

I presume the good guys used "On Wisconsin" to accomplish the murder of the Martians?
erbear04
Rookie

Postby sherlock » Sun 4/29/07 12:40 pm

erbear04 wrote:[url=http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070429&content_id=1936551&vkey=pr_stl&fext=.jsp&c_id=stl]Cardinals bullpen pitcher Josh Hancock killed in car accident late last night
[/url]

Here is another <a href="http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/3B293F8C2726D713862572CC00534F93?OpenDocument">STORY</a> with some more details.
sherlock
Rookie

Rockie turns an unassisted triple play

Postby Zwak » Mon 4/30/07 7:23 am

Troy Tulowitzki turned an unassisted triple play yesterday in the Rockies game vs. the Braves

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gam ... BHeadlines

Statistically it is the rarest event in baseball. This is only the 13th time in history it has happened.
Zwak
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Mon 4/30/07 11:23 pm

Reds to retire Cocepcion's number 13. His number will be the 9th retired by the Reds.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Re: Rockie turns an unassisted triple play

Postby Dances With Gophers » Tue 5/01/07 12:31 am

Zwak wrote:Troy Tulowitzki turned an unassisted triple play yesterday in the Rockies game vs. the Braves

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gam ... BHeadlines

Statistically it is the rarest event in baseball. This is only the 13th time in history it has happened.

"Tulowitzki was the eighth shortstop to turn an unassisted triple play (along with two first basemen and a pair of second basemen)."

I can see how a SS and/or a 2B can turn it...but a 1st baseman? I'm having trouble imagining that scenario. :confused2:

Edit: nevermind, found my answer.

...two were completed by first basemen who were able to reach second base before the returning baserunner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unassisted_triple_play
Dances With Gophers
Golden

Clemens

Postby Frontroguy » Tue 5/01/07 10:35 am

So, Roger Clemens is "deciding" if he is going to play this year. With a 22 million contract, some club will pay him 12-13 million for 19 or so starts.

Last year, in his 19 starts he only gave up 4 or more runs 3 times, and ended the season with a 2.30 era. While I am not big on his not being with a club now, and not having to travel with them, I gotta say that is not a bad deal. In 5 of his 6 losses, the Astros scored 2 or fewer runs. In 4 of his 6 No decisions he gave up 2 or less runs.

I think Smiling Carl should pony up.
Frontroguy
Golden

Re: Clemens

Postby Thirty-Four » Tue 5/01/07 10:54 am

Frontroguy wrote:So, Roger Clemens is "deciding" if he is going to play this year. With a 22 million contract, some club will pay him 12-13 million for 19 or so starts.

Last year, in his 19 starts he only gave up 4 or more runs 3 times, and ended the season with a 2.30 era. While I am not big on his not being with a club now, and not having to travel with them, I gotta say that is not a bad deal. In 5 of his 6 losses, the Astros scored 2 or fewer runs. In 4 of his 6 No decisions he gave up 2 or less runs.

No thanks. We have much bigger needs that could be filled with that money. Plus, the Rocket's tank has to run out sometime soon, and if we got him, that is when it would happen. :oops:
Get the cigarette lighter fixed
Thirty-Four
Golden

Postby Frontroguy » Tue 5/01/07 11:27 am

Thirty-Four wrote:
Frontroguy wrote:So, Roger Clemens is "deciding" if he is going to play this year. With a 22 million contract, some club will pay him 12-13 million for 19 or so starts.

No thanks. We have much bigger needs that could be filled with that money. Plus, the Rocket's tank has to run out sometime soon, and if we got him, that is when it would happen. :oops:

Naw, he found another dodge, and is taking the hormones again. He should be good to go til he is 60. :D
Frontroguy
Golden

Postby Cardinal » Tue 5/01/07 12:42 pm

http://withleather.com/post.phtml?pk=2752

Not totally MLB related, but pretty funny nonetheless...
Cardinal
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Tue 5/01/07 2:03 pm

Red Sox, Yankees and Astros are the front runners for his services.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Frontroguy » Tue 5/01/07 3:09 pm

Cardinal wrote:http://withleather.com/post.phtml?pk=2752

I thought she said "boobs" too.

Dang.
Frontroguy
Golden

MLB Umps change a call three innings later

Postby Zwak » Wed 5/02/07 7:31 am

Interesting.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/bas ... 160778.htm

Surprised this wasn't a bigger deal. This was the first I heard of it.
Zwak
Golden

Postby Bigbeer » Wed 5/02/07 10:52 am

The guy who wrote that article should have put the final score and how the play affected the game.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2007-05-01-protest_N.htm

Bigbeer
Lifer

Postby h8red » Wed 5/02/07 11:08 am

:censored:
h8red
Super Vet

Postby dxmnkd316 » Wed 5/02/07 1:25 pm

I love the look on the guy's face when he says it.

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby dxmnkd316 » Wed 5/02/07 1:30 pm

Bigbeer wrote:The guy who wrote that article should have put the final score and how the play affected the game.

request.... DENIED!

Link

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby Dances With Gophers » Wed 5/02/07 7:08 pm

dxmnkd316 wrote:
Bigbeer wrote:The guy who wrote that article should have put the final score and how the play affected the game.

request.... DENIED!

Link

Has a formal protest ever been upheld? I can't ever seem to remember a time... :confused2:
Dances With Gophers
Golden

Hancock was drunk at the time of fatal accident

Postby Zwak » Fri 5/04/07 10:58 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2860122

It's obviously tragic that he died. That said, he was drunk and didn't have a seatbelt on. Separately, these things drive me crazy. Together - I'm at a loss. Not to mention that there MAY be pot in his system too.

(I know it says the seatbelt probably wouldn't have helped, but he still should have been wearing it.)
Zwak
Golden

Re: Hancock was drunk at the time of fatal accident

Postby Six Hole » Fri 5/04/07 12:04 pm

Zwak wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2860122

It's obviously tragic that he died. That said, he was drunk and didn't have a seatbelt on. Separately, these things drive me crazy. Together - I'm at a loss. Not to mention that there MAY be pot in his system too.

(I know it says the seatbelt probably wouldn't have helped, but he still should have been wearing it.)

And he had been or was on the phone. They found pot in his car.
Six Hole
Super Vet

Re: Hancock was drunk at the time of fatal accident

Postby Frontroguy » Fri 5/04/07 1:17 pm

Zwak wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2860122

It's obviously tragic that he died.

Well, under the circumstances (alcohol, weed, cell phone) the tragedy would have been if he had hurt someone else.
Frontroguy
Golden

Postby gator » Sun 5/06/07 2:32 pm

Watching the Sabres/Rangers game and they announced that Roger Clemens signs with the Yankees.
KEEP YOUR STICK ON THE ICE
:trashpc:
The poster formerly known as gatorice
gator
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Sun 5/06/07 10:46 pm

I have heard $4.5 to $6.5 million per month.
Last edited by Hobey Baker on Mon 5/07/07 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Ben » Mon 5/07/07 9:22 am

Hobey Baker wrote:$6.5 million per month.

And the 2 months he'll end up taking off will be plenty of time for his "Supplements" to clear out of his system before any drug test.

Seriously, shouldn't any Roger Clemens talk be in the "Barry Bonds" thread?
- Murray Warmath
Ben
Golden

Postby Bigbeer » Mon 5/07/07 11:15 am

I think the prorate comes out to about 24 million, plus the Yankees will have to pay 40% luxury tax on top of that, so he'll cost them about 31 million. Must be nice...

Bigbeer
Lifer

Next

Return to Other Sports