Other GOPHERS Sports

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.

Re: Other GOPHERS Sports

Postby gator » Sat 12/12/09 10:58 am

As stated above, the BIG 10 wants Notre Dame. It'll never happen, but another college that has been in the rumor mill is Pitt.
KEEP YOUR STICK ON THE ICE
:trashpc:
The poster formerly known as gatorice
gator
Golden

Postby JWG » Sat 12/12/09 11:06 am

Dances With Gophers wrote:
Orion wrote:
JWG wrote:You know if we get a 12th team and two divisions we'll somehow get screwed right? Our division will be:
Ohio State
Michigan
Wisconsin/Iowa
Penn State
Notre Dame
Minnesota

That would be awesome. You can't get to be the best without beating the best.

That would be impossible given the current locations:
My guess ~
West - Minny, Iowa, Sconnie, NW, Illinois, Purdue
East - PSU, tOSU, IU, MSU, ND, Ugly Helmets

I never thought ND would even think about joining a conference, but if they maintain their current track, soon they'll be nothing more than a poor man's Stanford of the Midwest.

In a perfect world, I'd drop PSU and add Iowa State. That way a) less travel, b) we can put ISU in the West and move Purdue to the East, c) we can pound on ISU year in and year out, d) yet another reason to hate on Iowa :D Will never happen, I know...but still fun to throw out scenarios.

Yes, logic supports you. But nothing related to Gopher Revenue Sports is logical. From output on the field to broadcasting decisions, it's all messed up. Pitt... we don't nee more east coast in the Big 10.
JWG
[This space for rent]
JWG
Golden

Postby dxmnkd316 » Sun 12/13/09 8:07 pm

Forget it. We'd need Iowa, UW, and Michigan for this division to be worth it. Unfortunately that would also require us to have OSU in the division so they would play each other. You don't break those rivalries.
The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back -H.Brooks

st8ofhockey: Is that a photocollage of a dick? Oh wait, that's Patrick Stewart

psych: haha, damnit dx, your phone is drunk again
dxmnkd316: f*** you, I can't stop any time I want
dxmnkd316: err wait

I don't think I'm always right. I just find it hard to operate on the opposite assumption.
Disclaimer: 95% of the things I post are jokes, sarcasm, or hyperbole. Thanks in advance for not taking things so literally
dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby george » Mon 12/14/09 9:29 pm

BTW, Congrats to Mike Hebert and the girls with legs about as long as I am tall. :wink:

They lose, perhaps, their best player in mid-season and come back to make it to the dance.

Good luck at the final four!
george
Golden

Postby Dances With Gophers » Tue 12/15/09 9:34 am

dxmnkd316 wrote:Forget it. We'd need Iowa, UW, and Michigan for this division to be worth it. Unfortunately that would also require us to have OSU in the division so they would play each other. You don't break those rivalries.

Why would we 'need' Michigan in the division 'to be worth it'??? :confused2: Yes, we play for the little brown jug, but let's not kid ourselves and all it a rivalry. They've been pounding us non-stop for decades now. Besides, we'd be keeping the other two big real rivalries intact - UW and Iowa.
Suddenly, it all makes sense: "ND produces enough sugarbeets that produce enough sugar to sweeten 27 billion gallons of Kool-Aid." ND Fun Facts Image :ahhh:
Dances With Gophers
Golden

Postby Dances With Gophers » Tue 12/15/09 2:09 pm

Big Ten to explore adding 12th member

The Big Ten Conference will explore the possibility of expansion in the next 12 to 18 months, according to a statement the league will release at 4 p.m. ET Tuesday. There will be no press conference to make the announcement.

The league will announce that expansion is now a front-burner issue, though there are no guarantees a 12th member will be added.
Suddenly, it all makes sense: "ND produces enough sugarbeets that produce enough sugar to sweeten 27 billion gallons of Kool-Aid." ND Fun Facts Image :ahhh:
Dances With Gophers
Golden

Postby ScoobyDoo » Tue 12/15/09 2:44 pm

dxmnkd316 wrote:Forget it. We'd need Iowa, UW, and Michigan for this division to be worth it. Unfortunately that would also require us to have OSU in the division so they would play each other. You don't break those rivalries.

Don't need Michigan.

Iowa and UW for sure though.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
ScoobyDoo
Golden

Postby dxmnkd316 » Tue 12/15/09 3:59 pm

Why would we 'need' Michigan in the division 'to be worth it'??? :confused2: Yes, we play for the little brown jug, but let's not kid ourselves and all it a rivalry. They've been pounding us non-stop for decades now. Besides, we'd be keeping the other two big real rivalries intact - UW and Iowa.

Dances With Gophers wrote:Big Ten to explore adding 12th member

The Big Ten Conference will explore the possibility of expansion in the next 12 to 18 months, according to a statement the league will release at 4 p.m. ET Tuesday. There will be no press conference to make the announcement.

The league will announce that expansion is now a front-burner issue, though there are no guarantees a 12th member will be added.

Perfect ----> http://www.rivalryesq.com/2009/12/15/12 ... dnudj-plan
The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back -H.Brooks

I don't think I'm always right. I just find it hard to operate on the opposite assumption.
Disclaimer: 95% of the things I post are jokes, sarcasm, or hyperbole. Thanks in advance for not taking things so literally
dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby dxmnkd316 » Tue 12/15/09 4:24 pm

Ok, and don't laugh, what about the University of Toronto?

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby gopherguy06 » Tue 12/15/09 5:08 pm

dxmnkd316 wrote:

Dances With Gophers wrote:Big Ten to explore adding 12th member

Perfect ----> http://www.rivalryesq.com/2009/12/15/12 ... dnudj-plan

I think he lays out a very good plan. I think ideally having ND join would be the best, but Missouri is a good choice as well. I don't like having Pitt or Syracuse either, but both could work.
Last edited by gopherguy06 on Wed 12/16/09 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gopherguy06
Lifer

Postby SouthTexGopher » Wed 12/16/09 10:48 am

I'm all for continued expansion of the conference...as long as it maintains a Midwestern focus. I'm not a fan of the conference going east coast or nationwide.

That said...interesting article out of NJ here. Rutgers? Don't laugh...because The Cheerleader even endorses it...and his judgement is always flawless.

“I am definitely for the addition of another team, and it would be great to bring in a team from the Eastern market,” Tim Brewster, the Minnesota head coach, told me last spring. “I certainly believe Rutgers is a tremendous candidate, one that obviously makes sense.”

And this article dismisses Notre Dame and suggests that it may be Pitt, Rutgers, MO or...get this...

Texas.

And that would be awesome. Gophers playing every other year or so just 90 miles north of here? :mrgreen:

Clamo, clamatis, omnes clamamus pro glace lactis.

University of Minnesota. Class of 1994.
SouthTexGopher
Golden

Postby dxmnkd316 » Wed 12/16/09 11:01 am

Anyone who legitimately suggests texas as a potential candidate should be shot. Notre Dame is more likely to join the Big Tweleveten AND go pagan than Texas moving there.

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby SouthTexGopher » Wed 12/16/09 11:35 am

dxmnkd316 wrote:Anyone who legitimately suggests texas as a potential candidate should be shot. Notre Dame is more likely to join the Big Tweleveten AND go pagan than Texas moving there.

Notre Dame isn't joining up anytime soon. Why join a conference when you already have everything you want (except a winning team)? A quote from here about sums it up...

It looks certain, though, that the conference's 12th member won't be Notre Dame, which the Big Ten flirted with a decade ago. "Maintaining our independence is a real priority for us," says athletic director Jack Swarbrick.

SouthTexGopher
Golden

Postby dxmnkd316 » Wed 12/16/09 1:50 pm

SouthTexGopher wrote:
dxmnkd316 wrote:Anyone who legitimately suggests texas as a potential candidate should be shot. Notre Dame is more likely to join the Big Tweleveten AND go pagan than Texas moving there.

Notre Dame isn't joining up anytime soon. Why join a conference when you already have everything you want (except a winning team)? A quote from here about sums it up...

It looks certain, though, that the conference's 12th member won't be Notre Dame, which the Big Ten flirted with a decade ago. "Maintaining our independence is a real priority for us," says athletic director Jack Swarbrick.

right. They aren't joining unless the following happens:

They are allowed to sell the rights to their home games and keep all revenue. Plus, they will need to be given a partial exemption from the revenue sharing.

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby SkiUMahLaw » Wed 12/16/09 6:37 pm

I am greatly intrigued by the expansion of the Big X(I)-- but it is so short-sighted to see schools like Cincinnati and West Virginia as possibilities for the conference-- there is no possible way those schools would get admission to the Big Ten. The pecking order for how the expansion will occur will likely go in this order:

1.) $$$$
2.) Academics
3.) Tradition
4.) Athletics

That's the long and short of it. The Conference is likely most concerned about it expanding its TV footprint into a national audience, and that's where it is looking at dollars. But it doesn't want to end up as an ACC whose expansion for football has not exactly paid off. In all of this, expanding to twelve has to net more money for the conference than a second BCS bid would, as it is likely that the conference won't get more than one BCS bid in most years if it has its own championship game. So that is the real driving force here-- would the tv revenues for that one game and the expanded exposure outweigh the current revenues split with an additional team? If that doesn't happen, the Big Ten won't become twelve. (And by that logic, you likely won't see a Big 14-- would the pot split 14 ways be better than 12? Likely not).

The Big Ten's bylaws state that any new team must border or be in a Big Ten state and be accepted by the CIC (the Academic Big Ten). The first bylaw can be overlooked; the second one will NOT be overlooked. So the only candidates that are even remotely likely are members of the Association of American Universities -- as there is likely no possibility that the CIC will accept any university who isn't on this list. After removing all the non D-I Universities, the Ivy League Schools and the Pac-10 Schools (they wouldn't leave the Pac-10 for sure), these are your candidates with short commentary:

Duke University (1938): Would fit well, add southern exposure-- but will not leave the ACC and UNC/NC State
Iowa State University (1958): Right in the geographic footprint, but adds nothing to national exposure and TV revenues.
McGill University (1926): Interesting pick-- would give a Canadian market opportunity. But it isn't going to happen.
Rice University (1985): Academics fit well and Rice would lend a hand into the HUGE Houston market, but is not a traditional Big Ten type of school-- not to mention it currently doesn't command the Houston market.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey (1989): Name is bantered around a lot with its connection to NYC, but I don't see that NYC is really captivated by college sports-- and Rutgers doesn't have the NYC market cornered on TV.
Syracuse University (1966): See Rutgers. Plus, Syracuse is further away from NYC than Rutgers. But is near the footprint and has ties to Big Ten schools already. But are they truly a national audience?
Texas A&M University (2001): Not likely. Truly a southern school. Better marketshare than Rice, though, but will always play second fiddle to UT.
Tulane University (1958): No national reach and outside of geographic footprint. Next!
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York (1989): Who?
University of Colorado at Boulder (1966): Interesting to open up the Colorado market. Lags a bit in a national audience, but would command the Denver market. Still, outside the geographic footprint
University of Florida (1985): Would not leave the SEC. No question about that.
The University of Kansas (1909): Near the geographic footprint, but no national audience and it would bring in only the KC market. Plus, it is in the center of the old Big 8 conference and would not leave Mizzou behind.
University of Maryland, College Park (1969): Would be an interesting pick as it would bring in both Baltimore and Washington DC into the equation. Still, East Coast expansion would be a tough sell to the old Big Ten guard, as Penn State is far enough east.
University of Missouri-Columbia (1908): Similar to Kansas, Mizzou would bring in St. Louis and KC, but little else nationally; however, it can be argued that Illinois already has a strong footprint in St. Louis. Otherwise, would be a logical choice-- but whether they would leave Kansas is debatable.
University of Nebraska-Lincoln (1909): Much like Kansas-- only they bring Omaha and Lincoln markets. Not likely to leave the Big 12 either.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1922): Great choice, but not leaving the ACC and the Research Triangle schools.
University of Pittsburgh (1974): Very logical in footprint and fit, but the Big Ten already has the Pittsburgh market with Penn State, and does not add much nationally other than that.
The University of Texas at Austin (1929): Fantastic fit academically, and does bring a national alumni presence and statewide grouping to the table. Does not fit in the geography-- but they could sweeten the pot in a way that only Notre Dame would relate-- and the Big Ten may return the favor.
University of Toronto (1926): See McGill
University of Virginia (1904): Another solid choice academically, and would bring the DC market into play, but has been in the ACC for so long-- and with VT now in the ACC, doesn't seem to want to move away from the ACC.
Vanderbilt University (1950): Great academic choice, and Nashville would be a nice steal of a market from the SEC, but does not bring a national alumni presence and the SEC would not want them to leave (and further tank their academic reputation).

Note: Where's Notre Dame? And so we see why Notre Dame wasn't admitted to the Big Ten back in the 50s and 60s? They still aren't on this list. So while the CIC may make an exception for them and them alone, if you ain't on this list, you aren't coming along.

From a hockey standpoint, none of these schools would really affect us; however, a name not on this list bantered about (reasonable) that I found interesting was Boston College. Now THAT would make things very interesting.
SkiUMahLaw
Golden

Postby Orion » Wed 12/16/09 8:45 pm

SkiUMahLaw wrote:I am greatly intrigued by the expansion of the Big X(I)-- but it is so short-sighted to see schools like Cincinnati and West Virginia as possibilities for the conference-- there is no possible way those schools would get admission to the Big Ten. The pecking order for how the expansion will occur will likely go in this order:

1.) $$$$
2.) Academics
3.) Tradition
4.) Athletics

That's the long and short of it. The Conference is likely most concerned about it expanding its TV footprint into a national audience, and that's where it is looking at dollars. But it doesn't want to end up as an ACC whose expansion for football has not exactly paid off. In all of this, expanding to twelve has to net more money for the conference than a second BCS bid would, as it is likely that the conference won't get more than one BCS bid in most years if it has its own championship game. So that is the real driving force here-- would the tv revenues for that one game and the expanded exposure outweigh the current revenues split with an additional team? If that doesn't happen, the Big Ten won't become twelve. (And by that logic, you likely won't see a Big 14-- would the pot split 14 ways be better than 12? Likely not).

The Big Ten's bylaws state that any new team must border or be in a Big Ten state and be accepted by the CIC (the Academic Big Ten). The first bylaw can be overlooked; the second one will NOT be overlooked. So the only candidates that are even remotely likely are members of the Association of American Universities -- as there is likely no possibility that the CIC will accept any university who isn't on this list. After removing all the non D-I Universities, the Ivy League Schools and the Pac-10 Schools (they wouldn't leave the Pac-10 for sure), these are your candidates with short commentary:

Duke University (1938): Would fit well, add southern exposure-- but will not leave the ACC and UNC/NC State
Iowa State University (1958): Right in the geographic footprint, but adds nothing to national exposure and TV revenues.
McGill University (1926): Interesting pick-- would give a Canadian market opportunity. But it isn't going to happen.
Rice University (1985): Academics fit well and Rice would lend a hand into the HUGE Houston market, but is not a traditional Big Ten type of school-- not to mention it currently doesn't command the Houston market.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey (1989): Name is bantered around a lot with its connection to NYC, but I don't see that NYC is really captivated by college sports-- and Rutgers doesn't have the NYC market cornered on TV.
Syracuse University (1966): See Rutgers. Plus, Syracuse is further away from NYC than Rutgers. But is near the footprint and has ties to Big Ten schools already. But are they truly a national audience?
Texas A&M University (2001): Not likely. Truly a southern school. Better marketshare than Rice, though, but will always play second fiddle to UT.
Tulane University (1958): No national reach and outside of geographic footprint. Next!
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York (1989): Who?
University of Colorado at Boulder (1966): Interesting to open up the Colorado market. Lags a bit in a national audience, but would command the Denver market. Still, outside the geographic footprint
University of Florida (1985): Would not leave the SEC. No question about that.
The University of Kansas (1909): Near the geographic footprint, but no national audience and it would bring in only the KC market. Plus, it is in the center of the old Big 8 conference and would not leave Mizzou behind.
University of Maryland, College Park (1969): Would be an interesting pick as it would bring in both Baltimore and Washington DC into the equation. Still, East Coast expansion would be a tough sell to the old Big Ten guard, as Penn State is far enough east.
University of Missouri-Columbia (1908): Similar to Kansas, Mizzou would bring in St. Louis and KC, but little else nationally; however, it can be argued that Illinois already has a strong footprint in St. Louis. Otherwise, would be a logical choice-- but whether they would leave Kansas is debatable.
University of Nebraska-Lincoln (1909): Much like Kansas-- only they bring Omaha and Lincoln markets. Not likely to leave the Big 12 either.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1922): Great choice, but not leaving the ACC and the Research Triangle schools.
University of Pittsburgh (1974): Very logical in footprint and fit, but the Big Ten already has the Pittsburgh market with Penn State, and does not add much nationally other than that.
The University of Texas at Austin (1929): Fantastic fit academically, and does bring a national alumni presence and statewide grouping to the table. Does not fit in the geography-- but they could sweeten the pot in a way that only Notre Dame would relate-- and the Big Ten may return the favor.
University of Toronto (1926): See McGill
University of Virginia (1904): Another solid choice academically, and would bring the DC market into play, but has been in the ACC for so long-- and with VT now in the ACC, doesn't seem to want to move away from the ACC.
Vanderbilt University (1950): Great academic choice, and Nashville would be a nice steal of a market from the SEC, but does not bring a national alumni presence and the SEC would not want them to leave (and further tank their academic reputation).

Note: Where's Notre Dame? And so we see why Notre Dame wasn't admitted to the Big Ten back in the 50s and 60s? They still aren't on this list. So while the CIC may make an exception for them and them alone, if you ain't on this list, you aren't coming along.

From a hockey standpoint, none of these schools would really affect us; however, a name not on this list bantered about (reasonable) that I found interesting was Boston College. Now THAT would make things very interesting.

Awesome post. Very interesting commentary. BC would definitely need a new thread to debate the cause and affect of that one!

One school you forgot on your list was National American University!
Orion
Golden

Postby Dances With Gophers » Wed 12/16/09 9:18 pm

SkiUMahLaw wrote:Note: Where's Notre Dame? And so we see why Notre Dame wasn't admitted to the Big Ten back in the 50s and 60s? They still aren't on this list. So while the CIC may make an exception for them and them alone, if you ain't on this list, you aren't coming along.

Excellent analysis - thanks for this! I agree 100% with the 1-4 pecking order as well. RE: hockey standpoint, IF either Notre Dame or BC somehow find themselves as the 12th member of the Big Ten, isn't there some bylaw/clause within the Big Ten charter mandating that a Big Ten Conference be formed if 50% or > field a team in that respective sport? (i.e. hockey)? We'd then have:
1. Minny
2. Sconnie
3. Michigan State
4. tOSU
5. The Ugly Helmets
6. ND or BC
(sorry if this is a dumb Q; I'm not overly familiar with the details of the Big Ten hockey conference debate)
Dances With Gophers
Golden

Postby ScoobyDoo » Thu 12/17/09 9:18 am

SkiUMahLaw wrote:Note: Where's Notre Dame? And so we see why Notre Dame wasn't admitted to the Big Ten back in the 50s and 60s? They still aren't on this list. So while the CIC may make an exception for them and them alone, if you ain't on this list, you aren't coming along.

Excellent analysis - thanks for this! I agree 100% with the 1-4 pecking order as well. RE: hockey standpoint, IF either Notre Dame or BC somehow find themselves as the 12th member of the Big Ten, isn't there some bylaw/clause within the Big Ten charter mandating that a Big Ten Conference be formed if 50% or > field a team in that respective sport? (i.e. hockey)? We'd then have:
1. Minny
2. Sconnie
3. Michigan State
4. tOSU
5. The Ugly Helmets
6. ND or BC
(sorry if this is a dumb Q; I'm not overly familiar with the details of the Big Ten hockey conference debate)

As far as I know there is no mandate.
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
ScoobyDoo
Golden

Postby SkiUMahLaw » Thu 12/17/09 9:25 am

Dances With Gophers wrote:Excellent analysis - thanks for this! I agree 100% with the 1-4 pecking order as well. RE: hockey standpoint, IF either Notre Dame or BC somehow find themselves as the 12th member of the Big Ten, isn't there some bylaw/clause within the Big Ten charter mandating that a Big Ten Conference be formed if 50% or > field a team in that respective sport? (i.e. hockey)? We'd then have:
1. Minny
2. Sconnie
3. Michigan State
4. tOSU
5. The Ugly Helmets
6. ND or BC

From what I understand, there is a bylaw to that effect; however, I have read reports noting that the Big Ten wouldn't enforce it unless the hockey playing schools wanted it. But given that Ohio State and the newbie would likely have a lot to gain from such a conference, and Alvarez has spoken several times in favor of a BTHC, I think there could be some support to going down that road. But it is safe to say that hockey is NOT the first concern of the Presidents or ADs in a Big Ten expansion.
SkiUMahLaw
Golden

Postby dxmnkd316 » Thu 12/17/09 9:50 am

There is no way, no how that Minnesota would leave the WCHA. They hold too much power there plus I can't see them wanting to kill the WCHA. Minnesota basically is the semi-permanent host of the Final Five. A BTHC would upset that. While Wisconsin, OSU, and the new guy might want that, there is no way minnesota would buy into that. Hell, they didn't even want an expansion of the WCHA (until it became apparent that it was the right way to go, and it would save a team from folding up most likely) much less a complete shake-up.

Besides, a BTHC would hurt the sport significantly. The small teams that currently benefit from being in power conferences like the WCHA and CCHA would get hammered in terms of revenue and recruiting.

Good work on the post SUML.

I still think this is the order of preference of the Big Tweleveten:

1. Notre Dame (*)
2. Pitt
3. Mizzou
4. Rutgers/Syracuse
6. I'd say most of the rest are footnotes at this time.

* - I still think Notre Dame will be the first priority. They're going to take some serious time behind closed doors to try to negotiate with them. Honestly, I didn't think they had a chance to get ND, but the more I think about it, the more I think that the B10 would be willing to give a little to get a lot. So I don't think they can be dismissed necessarily. I would be willing to bet that a majority of the members of the big ten would approve a measure that would modify the revenue sharing structure to allow notre dame to keep a larger sum than the rest of the schools since they would bring in so much money. Think about it, notre dame coming to a school means that tickets will be much harder to come by. Schools would take that extra revenue and let notre dame keep their own tv contract and whatever else they have going on.

I am curious though skiumahlaw who you think actually WOULD come to the big ten and who YOU would want to see.

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby Greyeagle » Thu 12/17/09 10:15 am

dxmnkd316 wrote:There is no way, no how that Minnesota would leave the WCHA. They hold too much power there plus I can't see them wanting to kill the WCHA. Minnesota basically is the semi-permanent host of the Final Five. A BTHC would upset that. While Wisconsin, OSU, and the new guy might want that, there is no way minnesota would buy into that. Hell, they didn't even want an expansion of the WCHA (until it became apparent that it was the right way to go, and it would save a team from folding up most likely) much less a complete shake-up.

IF The Big Ten hockey conference becomes reality MN would have no choice but to compete there. MN's affiliation with The Big Ten will always supersede the WCHA. Period.
Piss on you, I'm working for Mel Brooks!
Greyeagle
Golden

Postby dxmnkd316 » Thu 12/17/09 10:27 am

Greyeagle wrote:
dxmnkd316 wrote:There is no way, no how that Minnesota would leave the WCHA. They hold too much power there plus I can't see them wanting to kill the WCHA. Minnesota basically is the semi-permanent host of the Final Five. A BTHC would upset that. While Wisconsin, OSU, and the new guy might want that, there is no way minnesota would buy into that. Hell, they didn't even want an expansion of the WCHA (until it became apparent that it was the right way to go, and it would save a team from folding up most likely) much less a complete shake-up.

IF The Big Ten hockey conference becomes reality MN would have no choice but to compete there. MN's affiliation with The Big Ten will always supersede the WCHA. Period.

Yes, I am fully aware of that. But do you agree that minnesota would fight the prospect of a BTHC?

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby Greyeagle » Thu 12/17/09 10:39 am

dxmnkd316 wrote:But do you agree that minnesota would fight the prospect of a BTHC?

I don't agree because it probably won't be up to the the hockey program or even the AD. I don't see MN (or any B10 school) ever going against a mandate of the B10 and/or B10 university presidents. MN may voice regrets about leaving their long time affiliation with the WCHA but they would speak against "the family".
Greyeagle
Golden

Postby NikonPhotoGuy » Thu 12/17/09 11:09 am

If a BTHC happens, to me right now a BIG IF; but I would be willing to bet that the Conference tournament would only be a every other year in St Paul at best. If you are going with the assumption that Notre Dame is the 12th team, does that mean the “The Joe” (or the arena that may replace it) becomes the best location for all schools?
NikonPhotoGuy

Postby dxmnkd316 » Thu 12/17/09 12:02 pm

Take this at face value. Notre Dame wants nothing to do with the Big Ten according to a public statement released by their AD:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4750901

Also, interestingly enough, the big ten tv revenue sharing would over double the money notre dame brings in from television. weird.

Edit: Fixed error.

Also, the AD said, "Our strong preference is to remain the way we are," Swarbrick said, according to the report. "Independence is a big part of the tradition of the program and our identity. We'd sure like to try to maintain it."

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby Dances With Gophers » Thu 12/17/09 12:11 pm

dxmnkd316 wrote:Take this at face value. Notre Dame wants nothing to do with the Big Ten according to a public statement released by their AD:

Also, interestingly enough, the big ten tv revenue sharing would over double the money notre dame brings in from television. weird.

Also, the AD said, "Our strong preference is to remain the way we are," Swarbrick said, according to the report. "Independence is a big part of the tradition of the program and our identity. We'd sure like to try to maintain it."

It's called posturing, and it happens everywhere, esp. in sports and business. If you honestly believe there won't be serious closed-door/back-room discussions going on with Notre Dame, you're nutz. I'm not saying that ND is a slam-dunk by any means, but it's naive to think that ND will simply point to this statement and say "thanks but no thanks" if an overture is made down the road.
Side bar: how cool would it be to add the last three major independents: Notre Dame, Army, and Navy? We'd get pounded in lacrosse, but it'd be neat to play the service academies on a regular basis :D
Dances With Gophers
Golden

Postby SouthTexGopher » Thu 12/17/09 12:43 pm

I'm starting a lobbying campaign for the addition of UTSA to the Big Ten(+2).

Who's in?

They have over 28,000 students...bigger than Northwestern, bigger than Iowa State, almost as big as MO. AND...I live here. If you join in this important campaign, I'll promise epic tailgating prior to every Gopher game.

SouthTexGopher
Golden

Postby Dances With Gophers » Thu 12/17/09 12:52 pm

SouthTexGopher wrote:I'm starting a lobbying campaign for the addition of UTSA to the Big Ten(+2).

Who's in?

They have over 28,000 students...bigger than Northwestern, bigger than Iowa State, almost as big as MO. AND...I live here. If you join in this important campaign, I'll promise epic tailgating prior to every Gopher game.

Is that a roadrunner? :thumbup:
Dances With Gophers
Golden

Postby dxmnkd316 » Thu 12/17/09 12:59 pm

dxmnkd316 wrote:Take this at face value. Notre Dame wants nothing to do with the Big Ten according to a public statement released by their AD:

It's called posturing, and it happens everywhere, esp. in sports and business. If you honestly believe there won't be serious closed-door/back-room discussions going on with Notre Dame, you're nutz. I'm not saying that ND is a slam-dunk by any means, but it's naive to think that ND will simply point to this statement and say "thanks but no thanks" if an overture is made down the road.
Side bar: how cool would it be to add the last three major independents: Notre Dame, Army, and Navy? We'd get pounded in lacrosse, but it'd be neat to play the service academies on a regular basis :D

What the hell? Is it "Give dxmnkd316 no credit day" today? :wink: I realize that. That's why I said take it for what it's worth (-459.67°F)

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby SkiUMahLaw » Thu 12/17/09 2:54 pm

dxmnkd316 wrote:
I am curious though skiumahlaw who you think actually WOULD come to the big ten and who YOU would want to see.

Personally, in my mind the list of potential candidates looks like this:

1.) Notre Dame
2.) Texas
Everybody else.

Really, this list is two names long, and unless someone else is totally willing to throw away their athletic department revenues for an extended period of time, shouldn't be part of the discussion. Notre Dame and Texas would alone bring in markets that are not covered by the Big Ten (and the Big Ten will NOT expand to the West Coast) and give national recognition and legitimacy. In a way, Texas would be FAR better than ND, as Texas would allow the Big Ten to directly abut the SEC and stop them cold. But I would bet there are political problems with a Texas admission that could prevent it from occurring-- both inside the Big Ten (long road trips) and inside Texas (A&M/Tech/Baylor would be pissed and their alumni seem to have sway in the Texas State House). I don't see Rutgers or Syracuse truly delivering a NYC market-- neither currently owns that market and putting them in the Big Ten won't do it, and Pitt doesn't add anything to Penn State's existing exposure in Pennsylvania. Mizzou may yield St. Louis and KC, but since St. Louis is already on the fringe of Illinois territory, and KC is more of a Kansas town anyway, and since Mizzou does not have great name recognition nationally, the Tigers don't bring a whole lot to the table from a revenue standpoint.

I think Colorado or Virginia would be outside candidates, but I don't see either one wanting to leave their respective conferences currently for concessions that either would need to make to be viable in the Big Ten financial arrangements (think non-revenue sports). While they could bring Denver / Washington DC into the Big Ten, Denver is less midwest than West and DC already has a fair number of Big Ten graduates working in government there. So what do they bring to the table?

I read somewhere that the equation for expansion can be summarized as follows: 11 + 1 = 13. That's what has to result from any expansion-- the expanded whole needs to be greater than the sum of its parts. I just don't see Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, Syracuse or Mizzou doing that; and there is no way Cincinnati or West Virginia even come close to it.
SkiUMahLaw
Golden

Postby Orion » Thu 12/17/09 3:19 pm

Fixed the quote.

Also, the AD said, "Our strong preference is to remain the way we are financially," Swarbrick said, according to the report. "Independence is a big part of the tradition of our revenue and our identity. We'd sure like to try to increase it."
Orion
Golden

Postby dxmnkd316 » Thu 12/17/09 3:24 pm

Orion wrote:

Fixed the quote.

Also, the AD said, "Our strong preference is to remain the way we are financially," Swarbrick said, according to the report. "Independence is a big part of the tradition of our revenue and our identity. We'd sure like to try to increase it."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby SouthTexGopher » Thu 12/17/09 4:46 pm

SkiUMahLaw wrote:In a way, Texas would be FAR better than ND, as Texas would allow the Big Ten to directly abut the SEC and stop them cold. But I would bet there are political problems with a Texas admission that could prevent it from occurring-- both inside the Big Ten (long road trips) and inside Texas (A&M/Tech/Baylor would be pissed and their alumni seem to have sway in the Texas State House).

Really great posts on here, SkiUMahLaw. Fantastic stuff and very well-put discussion points. Have you ever considered going into the legal field? :wink:

Your point about the other Texas Big XII teams having an influence in the state house is spot-on. Most of that influence, though, is via the Texas A&M connection...even the governor is an Aggie (and his strongest opponent in the upcoming election is an Aggie, too). That kind of high-level influence could kill a Texas bid outright.

However...

A lot of the young whippersnappers on here might not remember the old Southwest Conference. There was a great outcry when the conference lost Texas, Texas A&M, Tech and Baylor to the Big Eight/XII. This eliminated the in-state conference matchups against Houston, Rice, TCU and SMU. If the state can absorb something as traumatic as dissolving what was essentially a Texas conference...maybe there's a chance that Texas departing for the Big 10 could happen.

SouthTexGopher
Golden

Postby MATT » Thu 12/17/09 4:49 pm

From the Big 10 to the... Big 16?
When it was first announced earlier in the week that the Big Ten would be exploring the possibility of expanding from its current 11 schools, it was widely assumed that meant the league would be looking to get to an even 12.

However, the conference may have its sights set on a bigger number of member schools. Much, much bigger, in fact.

According to a report in the Chicago Tribune, and citing multiple Big Ten sources, almost nothing has been ruled out when it comes to expansion, up to and including expanding to 14 or even 16 teams.
MATT
Golden

Postby SkiUMahLaw » Thu 12/17/09 6:25 pm

SouthTexGopher wrote:There was a great outcry when the conference lost Texas, Texas A&M, Tech and Baylor to the Big Eight/XII. This eliminated the in-state conference matchups against Houston, Rice, TCU and SMU. If the state can absorb something as traumatic as dissolving what was essentially a Texas conference...maybe there's a chance that Texas departing for the Big 10 could happen.

It will be interesting if Texas is the choice. On one hand, if UT (or TU, depending on your affiliation) leaves the Big 12, A&M is the big fish left in the Texas side of the Big 12 South (with Oklahoma). But there would be a lot of annoyed A&M and Baylor politicians that UT gets the big bucks with those Yankees while A&M has to deal with the Sooners and the Pickens' Cowboys...

MATT brings up an interesting possibility here-- note that five of the six Big 12 North teams are also members of the AAU (Sorry K-State). Would a 16 team Big Ten make sense? Perhaps if there was a guaranteed TWO BCS births in it for the Big Ten with the possibility of a third one coming. Suddenly, the Big Ten looks like a mini-NCAA and totally controls the college football landscape-- as it effectively controls over half of the BCS (with its partnership with the Pac-10 and the loss of influence of the Big 12). But would dividing the pie 16 ways be worthwhile? That is the big question, as at some point there are diminishing returns. You have to run those numbers to see if they'd make sense, but I sense a lot of frustration in the old Big 8 about their loss of control of the conference to Texas.

All in, it would make for an interesting negotiation with Texas or Notre Dame--by playing off them with the loss of the Big 12, Texas would suddenly be back where it was in the SWC days-- and it would see a greatly diminished TV revenue-- and likely only one BCS team possibility (unless it adds TCU and Houston...and....Rice....and...). Notre Dame would essentially be further marginalized in the midwest markets- with Notre Dame finding it tougher to get games in Big Ten Country and relegating it to playing more Big Eas(y)t teams. Recruiting in Connecticut is not ND's strong point. But would adding the Big East schools to the Big Ten net the same return, either in fiscal sense or from a negotiating standpoint? Probably not.
SkiUMahLaw
Golden

Postby Chris83 » Fri 12/18/09 8:17 am

SouthTexGopher wrote:A lot of the young whippersnappers on here might not remember the old Southwest Conference. There was a great outcry when the conference lost Texas, Texas A&M, Tech and Baylor to the Big Eight/XII. This eliminated the in-state conference matchups against Houston, Rice, TCU and SMU. If the state can absorb something as traumatic as dissolving what was essentially a Texas conference...maybe there's a chance that Texas departing for the Big 10 could happen.

I very well remember the SWC. In 1969 Texas and Arkansas had that years "Game of the Century" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969_Texas_vs._Arkansas_football_game

If nothing else, it's fun to discuss the Big Ten expansion possibilities. New blood and new configurations would be cool.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
Chris83
Lifer

Postby CaptainC » Fri 12/18/09 3:56 pm

I'd love to see them go to the big 16 and add, BC, Syracus, UConn, Pitt, and Notre Dame. All the other teams fromt eh big east go to the ACC. Nothing against the big east. Would do wonders for the Big 16 Network.
CaptainC

Postby Gopherguy05 » Fri 12/18/09 5:02 pm

CaptainC wrote:I'd love to see them go to the big 16 and add, BC, Syracus, UConn, Pitt, and Notre Dame. All the other teams fromt eh big east go to the ACC. Nothing against the big east. Would do wonders for the Big 16 Network.

Not gonna happen. Remember the Big East is allready a 16 team league for basketball. Don't see that one dissolving anytime soon.
Gopherguy05
Lifer

Postby dxmnkd316 » Sat 12/19/09 5:17 pm

I'd put any dollar amount that texas scoffs at any attempt by the big ten to annex austin.

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby Dances With Gophers » Tue 12/22/09 6:16 pm

Shakopee volleyball star caps career with national award

Ashley Wittman, who will play for the Gophers next fall, became only the third Minnesotan to receive a Gatorade National Player of the Year honor.

Wittman is the third Minnesotan and first woman to be named a Gatorade National Player of the Year. The others were quarterbacks from Cretin-Derham Hall: Chris Walsh in 1991-92 and Joe Mauer in 2000-01. Wittman is a two-time recipient of the Gatorade Minnesota Player of the Year award.
Dances With Gophers
Golden

Postby Iceburg » Tue 12/22/09 11:14 pm

Gopher baseball signee Tom Windle is having a heck of a hockey season also (LINK)

Gophersports.com story on the baseball team early signing period

Retired Thread Police
Iceburg
Golden

Postby dxmnkd316 » Thu 12/24/09 12:42 am

Dances With Gophers wrote:Shakopee volleyball star caps career with national award

Ashley Wittman, who will play for the Gophers next fall, became only the third Minnesotan to receive a Gatorade National Player of the Year honor.

Wittman is the third Minnesotan and first woman to be named a Gatorade National Player of the Year. The others were quarterbacks from Cretin-Derham Hall: Chris Walsh in 1991-92 and Joe Mauer in 2000-01. Wittman is a two-time recipient of the Gatorade Minnesota Player of the Year award.

psssh I posted this in the volleyball thread already. way to be late to the party... :wink:

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby Dances With Gophers » Sat 1/09/10 2:51 pm

U wrestler Deitchler loses eligibility

Jake Deitchler, a Gophers freshman wrestler and former Olympian, has been ruled ineligible this season by the NCAA.

After competing on the U.S. Greco-Roman team in the 2008 Beijing Olympics, Deitchler wrestled overseas and earned $4,000. He committed to Minnesota for 2008-09 but decided to train and wrestle with the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.

He changed his mind and joined the Gophers last fall, but the NCAA notified him in September he was ineligible. The university appealed the severity of his decision.

Deitchler loses one year of athletic eligibility and has to pay back the money.

So...even after he pays back that outrageous sum of money earned from representin' at the Olympics [/sarcasm], he's still ineligible for this season? Bogus.

Edit: Hopefully, this wasn't already posted in a wrasslin' thread.
Dances With Gophers
Golden

Postby Dances With Gophers » Sat 3/20/10 11:55 pm

This brought a smile to my face: at the NCAA's, a Gopher wins an individual Championship at Iowa's expense. The fact that he did it with less than 10 seconds left on the clock makes it all the more delicious...

Seconds away from seeing his dream fade away, Jayson Ness dug deep.

The result: He's a national champion.

Ness, the Gophers' senior 133-pounder, took down Iowa's Daniel Dennis and put the Hawkeyes wrestler on his back in the final 10 seconds to win an NCAA individual championship on Saturday night.

The four-point move gave Ness a 6-4 decision over Dennis and capped a 31-0 season. Dennis, a senior who finished 22-4 with three of the losses to Ness, appeared poised to deny the Gophers the national title.

Suck it, Iowa.
Dances With Gophers
Golden

Postby Next Crosby » Sun 3/21/10 1:17 am

Dances With Gophers wrote:This brought a smile to my face: at the NCAA's, a Gopher wins an individual Championship at Iowa's expense. The fact that he did it with less than 10 seconds left on the clock makes it all the more delicious...

Ness, the Gophers' senior 133-pounder, took down Iowa's Daniel Dennis and put the Hawkeyes wrestler on his back in the final 10 seconds to win an NCAA individual championship on Saturday night.

The four-point move gave Ness a 6-4 decision over Dennis and capped a 31-0 season. Dennis, a senior who finished 22-4 with three of the losses to Ness, appeared poised to deny the Gophers the national title.

Suck it, Iowa.

Good to know we beat Iowa at the gayest sport ever. :thumbup:
Next Crosby
Super Vet

Postby g_manpucker » Sun 3/21/10 6:16 am

Next Crosby wrote:
Dances With Gophers wrote:This brought a smile to my face: at the NCAA's, a Gopher wins an individual Championship at Iowa's expense. The fact that he did it with less than 10 seconds left on the clock makes it all the more delicious...

Suck it, Iowa.

Meet me on the mat I will show you the gayest sport ever...Man up Crosby!! :twisted:
Sorry about that, as a former wrestler and as an Iowa fan I take attacks on wrestling personal. Also this match stung a bit, the Iowa wrestler let up his guard and Ness took advantage, I was swearing so bad at the t.v. it would have made a sailor blush! :oops:
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL
g_manpucker
Golden

Postby Next Crosby » Sun 3/21/10 6:39 am

g_manpucker wrote:
Next Crosby wrote:

Suck it, Iowa.

Meet me on the mat I will show you the gayest sport ever...Man up Crosby!! :twisted:
Sorry about that, as a former wrestler and as an Iowa fan I take attacks on wrestling personal. Also this match stung a bit, the Iowa wrestler let up his guard and Ness took advantage, I was swearing so bad at the t.v. it would have made a sailor blush! :oops:

No thanks, I'm not really into getting sweaty with guys on mat wearing basically nothing. But hey any time you play some hockey hit me up.
Next Crosby
Super Vet

Postby g_manpucker » Sun 3/21/10 7:18 am

Afraid? Most people are....and I will be at Breck in a couple of hours! :D Though the hockey skills are a bit below my wrestling skills.

*Okay, the hockey skills are way below my wrestling skills!
Last edited by g_manpucker on Sun 3/21/10 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

g_manpucker
Golden

Postby Greyeagle » Sun 3/21/10 7:26 am

Watching wrestling on TV? On a Saturday night? And I thought my life was boring..... :lol:

Congratulations on the NC, Jayson, that's awesome!
Greyeagle
Golden

Postby g_manpucker » Sun 3/21/10 4:26 pm

Greyeagle wrote:Watching wrestling on TV? On a Saturday night? And I thought my life was boring..... :lol:

Congratulations on the NC, Jayson, that's awesome!

I enjoy watching wrestling and since the hotel I was at didn't have FSN I couldn't watch the game. As far as going to a bar I was there with my wife and kids not to go to a bar. I will give Ness his due, he didn't give up even at the end when he won the match...maybe he could lecture the hockey team about not giving up...just a thought. :!:

g_manpucker
Golden

Postby Handyman » Sun 3/21/10 4:32 pm

Last night that was the Top Play on ESPN I believe...they showed him leap into the stands to hug his dad too :)
If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

My name is not Dan...I am however a prick!

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014
Handyman
Needs help

Postby g_manpucker » Sun 3/21/10 4:34 pm

Handyman wrote:Last night that was the Top Play on ESPN I believe...they showed him leap into the stands to hug his dad too :)

I saw that this morning :thumbup: . I was surprised that college hockey made it into the top ten plays also, Maine's goal to send their game into OT was #2 on the list.

g_manpucker
Golden

Postby Handyman » Sun 3/21/10 4:37 pm

In March they do that since they have the entire college championship package. Plus that goal was pretty sweet :)
If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

My name is not Dan...I am however a prick!

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014
Handyman
Needs help

Postby g_manpucker » Sun 3/21/10 5:22 pm

Don't know why but I do like the Maine Black Bears.

g_manpucker
Golden

Postby ScoobyDoo » Sun 4/11/10 11:48 am

Went to the Gopher/Michigan softball game at the "U" yesterday. The Gophers have a beautiful facility there. Michigan is ranked number two in the nation (rare for a northern team, although they did win it all in 2005, Northwestern has had some good teams out of the Big 10 as well). The disparity of talent was evident. Michigan didn't allow a single baserunner and crushed a couple of balls over the fence for a 9-0 game. Still, outdoor fastpitch softball, beautiful weather, and a nice facility made it a great afternoon.
ScoobyDoo
Golden

Postby Amonte_10 » Sun 4/25/10 2:48 pm

Anyone know why the Gopher Baseball team is playing all games in the Metrodome?? Watching the game on BTN... Reminds me why I love Target Field!
Amonte_10
Golden

Postby ScoobyDoo » Tue 5/04/10 10:37 am

http://toledoblade.com/article/20100502 ... 11/5020380

Amazing story about a girl (Whitney Erickson) who plays softball for the "U" overcoming a freak (felony IMO) fracture to her leg to play softball again. She is in graduate school at the "U" and is using her last two years of eligibility. Here's a blurb about what happened to her.

Just seven months earlier, Erickson had crumpled in a heap on a downtown Bowling Green sidewalk, momentarily unconscious, a bone in her right leg shattered into shards, and her softball career a closed and shelved book. Two brawling patrons from a nearby establishment had tumbled out of the bar, and one shoved the other, estimated by witnesses to be in excess of 200 pounds, into Erickson as she and her friends walked past.

Erickson never saw the impact coming and was crushed by the weight of the man as he landed on top of her. She was thrown into a metal pole, striking her head. In a move where only their cowardice trumped their recklessness, the two men fled the scene while Erickson's friends huddled around her. They were never identified.

People never cease to amaze. To do that to a young girl and then flee the scene has to rank you as some of the lowest form of human garbage on the planet.
ScoobyDoo
Golden

Gophers baseball

Postby dailyfbo » Sun 5/16/10 4:54 pm

The Gophers baseball team wrapped up its home schedule on Sunday by beating Penn State and sweeping the three-game series. They head into next week's final series at Ohio State with a one-game lead over Michigan in the BT standings.

Minnesota doesn't have much of a record or RPI (no one in the Big 10 really does) so the winner of the Big 10 tournament over Memorial Day weekend will probably be the only Big 10 team in the NCAA tournament. It would be nice to see a Gophers team take care of business and lock down the regular-season title and then win the tournament championship.

Michigan appears to be hitting a stride, at least offensively. They fell behind 14-0 to Northwestern on Sunday before rallying to win 15-14 in 10 innings. They tied it on a two-out, two-run home run in the bottom of the ninth and then won it with a walkoff homer in the 10th.

Michigan finishes with last-place Penn State so the Gophers might need a sweep to win the conference title outright.
dailyfbo
Golden

Postby psych » Sun 5/16/10 7:29 pm

The Gopher men's track and field team defend their outdoor championship this year after winning it last year. Take that, Wisconsin.
psych
Lifer

Postby gopherguy06 » Sun 5/16/10 9:24 pm

With the Softball team's win over Wisconsin, the Gophers win the Border Battle Cup... some events remain, but we mathmatically won it!
gopherguy06
Lifer

Postby Greyeagle » Sun 5/16/10 9:32 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:With the Softball team's win over Wisconsin, the Gophers win the Border Battle Cup... some events remain, but we mathmatically won it!

Greyeagle
Golden

Postby dxmnkd316 » Sun 5/16/10 10:47 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:With the Softball team's win over Wisconsin, the Gophers win the Border Battle Cup... some events remain, but we mathmatically won it!

HUZZAH! SUCK IT WISCONSIN!

dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby ScoobyDoo » Mon 5/17/10 9:14 am

That's awesome that the Softball team took them over the edge. After a pretty trying year they deserved to get that win.
ScoobyDoo
Golden

Postby gopherguy06 » Mon 5/17/10 12:12 pm

Not related to MN, but since we are in the Big Ten title race with MIchigan...

Michigan comes back from a 14 run defceit.

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/michigan ... g-ten-tit/
gopherguy06
Lifer

Postby gopher_ears » Tue 5/18/10 5:43 pm

Pohlads donate $2M for Gophers baseball stadium

Link
gopher_ears
Golden

Postby ScoobyDoo » Thu 5/20/10 9:05 am

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle ... =204948361

Gopher Softball coaches were let go. My daughter took some clinics from them and they are great people. I can't say enough good things about them. I was scheduled for a summer clinic in August with them for my kid and now that's gone. Really bummed about it too cause it was going to be outside at the park (other clinics were during the winter in the Fieldhouse).

My guess is they weren't winning. Which is sad cause they haven't fielded a winning football team in 50 years and it's not like coaching changes have changed that. I guess Maturi had to look like he's doing something since he's standing pat on the big 3.

{sigh}
ScoobyDoo
Golden

Postby Chris Eckes » Thu 5/20/10 9:24 am

So when Gopher Softball is 2-17 and dead last in the Big Ten it's "Maturi had to look like he's doing something" but when hockey has had bad years it's torches and pitchforks?

I understand that they were great people, but when you go 2-17 in the Big Ten and 16-37 overall it's time for a change.
Formerly known as The X Factor
Gopher Hockey: Minnesota's Pride on Ice
National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Pride on Ice Blog: http://prideoniceblog.blogspot.com (click on the ads!)
Founding Member of the :ahhh: Fan Club - Est. 9/15/2010
2010 GPL Fantasy Baseball Champion
Chris Eckes
Golden

Postby ScoobyDoo » Thu 5/20/10 9:32 am

The X Factor wrote:So when Gopher Softball is 2-17 and dead last in the Big Ten it's "Maturi had to look like he's doing something" but when hockey has had bad years it's torches and pitchforks?

I understand that they were great people, but when you go 2-17 in the Big Ten and 16-37 overall it's time for a change.

Sorry but that doesn't make any sense. The coaches have been here since 1992. This year was rough for a very good reason. Their best pitcher is just a freshmen and the back up is just a sophmore. Hockey has every advantage that ever existed. How many advantages does Softball have? Do you honestly think the softball team is going to win that much here? What advantage do they have? What prospect is going to want to play here when they can go down south somewhere and play year round?

Comparing Softball and men's hockey is dumb. Oh, and firing coaches has done WONDERS for the football program. The latest snake oil salesman has really put a winner on the field.
ScoobyDoo
Golden

Postby Chris Eckes » Thu 5/20/10 9:35 am

Honestly, I don't know much about Gopher Softball. I just think that calling for one coach's head while decrying the firing of another seems fishy to me when they appear to be in similar situations (underperforming teams).

Chris Eckes
Golden

Postby Chris Eckes » Thu 5/20/10 9:38 am

Gopher baseball looks like they're in great shape heading into the final weekend series against Ohio St.! They have a game lead on Purdue and Michigan in the conference, and hold the tiebreaker against both teams having won the regular season series' 2-1 versus the Boilermakers and the Wolverines. Gophers need to win 2 games to clinch the conference!

Chris Eckes
Golden

Postby ScoobyDoo » Thu 5/20/10 9:39 am

The X Factor wrote:Honestly, I don't know much about Gopher Softball. I just think that calling for one coach's head while decrying the firing of another seems fishy to me when they appear to be in similar situations (underperforming teams).

Yet the situations have no similarity at all. But that's ok. And you're right. Losing sucks and coaches get fired over it. No question about that.
ScoobyDoo
Golden

Postby Chris Eckes » Thu 5/20/10 9:47 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:Yet the situations have no similarity at all. But that's ok. And you're right. Losing sucks and coaches get fired over it. No question about that.

I agree with you that it is kinda sad Maturi has to hide behind firing the SOFTBALL coaches - as if that display of backbone is going to get everyone off his case about not firing the football / hockey coaching staff.

I am still convinced that Maturi is the root problem.

Chris Eckes
Golden

Postby ScoobyDoo » Thu 5/20/10 10:46 am

In Maturi's defense what I have forgotten is how well NDSU has done recently in Softball. Hard to make an excuse for losing at Minnesota when a school like NDSU is winning so much.

Still bums me out.
ScoobyDoo
Golden

Postby meggiesota » Thu 5/20/10 9:53 pm

I just saw the end of the Gopher ohio state game, Gophers win 16-2. Announcers said OSU will host the Big Ten Tourney next week. I always thought the conference winner hosted the tourney. What's up with that?
meggiesota
Golden

Baseball Team Clinches Big Ten Title Share

Postby fake shemp » Sat 5/22/10 8:50 am

Gophers clinch share of Big Ten title when Michigan coughs up a 4 run lead in the ninth and loses to Penn State. :lol:

Has to be pretty rare to be the conference champion with a losing record overall. (26-27)
They will be the #1 seed in the conference tourney in Columbus next week.

The balance of last night's suspended game and today's regularly scheduled game are both on the
BTN starting at noon today.
I believe if they beat OSU one more time - the Buckeyes will miss the conference tourney they are hosting.
Geez, where have I heard of something like that happening before???? :confused2:
fake shemp
Golden

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports