--->

Tennis

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.

Re: Tennis

Postby Hobey Baker » Fri 6/03/11 9:35 am

Snowcool08 wrote:I like Sharapova over Schiavone on the women's side and Djokovic over Nadal on the men's. I wouldn't be surprised if any of the men remaining won. Especially since Murray tweaked his ankle and will try to hit early winners, which he has successfully done for two straight matches.

Li Na beats Maria Sharapova to gain final. It is Na's second straight Grans Slam final (runner up at Austrailian Open). Na will face defending champioin Francesca Schiavone. An interesting fact: the combined ages of the the two players is 60 years and 79 days, making it the oldest Womens Grand Slam Final since 1998 (Novotna d Tauziat).
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Chris83 » Fri 6/03/11 11:47 am

Nadal over Murray 6-4, 7-5, 6-4 to reach the finals
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
Chris83
Lifer

Postby Snowcool08 » Fri 6/03/11 4:07 pm

Federer beats Djokovic in 4 sets and will face Nadal in the French final for the 4th time in 6 years. I'm pulling for Fed in this one.
Snowcool08
Lifer

Postby Slap Shot » Fri 6/03/11 7:15 pm

I am probably showing my age (not as far as years alive but rather perception of the game), but from the mid-70's to at least the late 90's I would not miss watching a Grand Slam tennis tournament if I could help it, and now I can't remember the last time I watched more than a handful of games of any of them recently. I am probably missing some very good tennis, but I just can't get motivated to glue myself to the couch in this day and age.

That is not meant as a judgement of anyone that's a present fan and perhaps is even an indictment of myself, but I wish I could be more excited to watch the present players.
Slap Shot
Golden

Postby trixR4kids » Fri 6/03/11 7:59 pm

So when is the men's final? Sunday?
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.
trixR4kids
Legend

Postby Chris83 » Sun 6/05/11 12:24 pm

Nadal defeats Federer 7-5, 7-6, 5-7, 6-1 for his sixth French Open title. He ties Bjorn Borg for the most French titles and is 45-1 at Roland Garros.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
Chris83
Lifer

Postby Bushwood Gopher » Sun 6/05/11 8:10 pm

Chris83 wrote:Nadal defeats Federer 7-5, 7-6, 5-7, 6-1 for his sixth French Open title. He ties Bjorn Borg for the most French titles and is 45-1 at Roland Garros.

Also moves Rafa to 17 - 8 against Federer all time, and 6 - 2 in Grand Slam finals. Federer has only beaten Nadal at Wimbledon (2x) when the two have played for the title. Nadal has four French wins and one each at the US Open and the Australian Open against Federer.
Bushwood Gopher
Lifer

Postby trixR4kids » Sun 6/05/11 8:20 pm

Rafa's boring style of play translates well to clay. It's impressive that he's been almost as successful on the other surfaces though.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.
trixR4kids
Legend

Postby Hobey Baker » Sun 6/05/11 9:11 pm

Na wins French Womens Final

Nadal beats Federer in 4 sets to win his 6th French title. Unbelievable points. The match should have gone 5 but Fed blew the first set. Nadal just makes you hit so many good shots to win a point. Nadal is like a vice grip and just keeps squeezing you.

I believe Federer is the best of all time but Nadal is right there. It is hard to make the argument that Fed is the best of all time when Nadal has the best of Fed in the head to heads .. especially on the dirt. Where Fed has the advantage is his Grand Slam titles along with his consistency in the Majors.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Bushwood Gopher » Sun 6/05/11 9:55 pm

Hobey Baker wrote:Na wins French Womens Final

Nadal beats Federer in 4 sets to win his 6th French title. Unbelievable points. The match should have gone 5 but Fed blew the first set. Nadal just makes you hit so many good shots to win a point. Nadal is like a vice grip and just keeps squeezing you.

I believe Federer is the best of all time but Nadal is right there. It is hard to make the argument that Fed is the best of all time when Nadal has the best of Fed in the head to heads .. especially on the dirt. Where Fed has the advantage is his Grand Slam titles along with his consistency in the Majors.

As of right now he is. But Nadal will pass him in Grand Slam titles and when you factor in the head to head advantage he has over Federer, the case will be closed for Nadal in another 5 years (barring injury).
Bushwood Gopher
Lifer

Postby trixR4kids » Sun 6/05/11 10:01 pm

Barring injury is the key. His style of play and his already shakey knees make that questionable. It also assumes Fed isn't going to win any more titles.
trixR4kids
Legend

Postby Chris Eckes » Mon 6/06/11 7:57 am

I dunno... that streak of Grand Slam quarterfinals / semifinals speaks volumes to Federer's consistency. What's Nadal at there? I honestly don't know.
Formerly known as The X Factor
Gopher Hockey: Minnesota's Pride on Ice
National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Pride on Ice Blog: http://prideoniceblog.blogspot.com (click on the ads!)
Founding Member of the :ahhh: Fan Club - Est. 9/15/2010
2010 GPL Fantasy Baseball Champion
Chris Eckes
Golden

Postby psych » Mon 6/06/11 8:12 am

Bushwood Gopher wrote:
Chris83 wrote:Nadal defeats Federer 7-5, 7-6, 5-7, 6-1 for his sixth French Open title. He ties Bjorn Borg for the most French titles and is 45-1 at Roland Garros.

Also moves Rafa to 17 - 8 against Federer all time, and 6 - 2 in Grand Slam finals. Federer has only beaten Nadal at Wimbledon (2x) when the two have played for the title. Nadal has four French wins and one each at the US Open and the Australian Open against Federer.

Nadal has beaten Federer at Wimbledon in the finals as well.
psych
Lifer

Postby Bushwood Gopher » Mon 6/06/11 10:34 am

psych wrote:
Bushwood Gopher wrote:

Nadal has beaten Federer at Wimbledon in the finals as well.

Good catch. Typo on my part. :oops: He beat Fed at Wimbledon, not the US Open.
Bushwood Gopher
Lifer

Postby Hobey Baker » Mon 6/06/11 11:07 am

trixR4kids wrote:Barring injury is the key. His style of play and his already shakey knees make that questionable. It also assumes Fed isn't going to win any more titles.

This is a very important point.

People look at Nadal v Federer on Clay ... Federer is clearly the 2nd best player of his generation on dirt and would probably rank top 5 all time. He has lost 4 French titles to Rafa.

I look to Fed to be a factor for the next 5 years if he is fit and mentally into it. He could be a player like Connors, Rosewall and Agassi to play into the mid to late 30's at a high level.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby trixR4kids » Mon 6/06/11 11:56 am

Thing is Federer will probably have a different career arc than most players. Rafa in his prime will be great but once he starts slowing down I have a feeling that his falloff will be pretty rapid. This is mostly because he relies almost solely on his fitness and his ability to just push the ball back and prolong points and make the other guy hit multiple winners. This is why he is so good on a slow surface like clay and has been better on grass with the larger balls that tend to produce longer rallies.
Federer's style on the other hand is very effortless and he should be able to adjust his style with age and still be very effective and win a few more titles.
trixR4kids
Legend

Postby Armadillo » Mon 6/06/11 12:03 pm

trixR4kids wrote:Thing is Federer will probably have a different career arc than most players. Rafa in his prime will be great but once he starts slowing down I have a feeling that his falloff will be pretty rapid. This is mostly because he relies almost solely on his fitness and his ability to just push the ball back and prolong points and make the other guy hit multiple winners. This is why he is so good on a slow surface like clay and has been better on grass with the larger balls that tend to produce longer rallies.
Federer's style on the other hand is very effortless and he should be able to adjust his style with age and still be very effective and win a few more titles.

Maybe this should go in the "dumb questions" thread, but aren't the balls standard on the pro tours? Are Wimbledon balls really different than the French Open balls? How many more times can I type "balls" in a thread before people start getting suspicious?
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube
Armadillo
Golden

Postby Snowcool08 » Mon 6/06/11 2:43 pm

Armadillo wrote:
trixR4kids wrote:Thing is Federer will probably have a different career arc than most players. Rafa in his prime will be great but once he starts slowing down I have a feeling that his falloff will be pretty rapid. This is mostly because he relies almost solely on his fitness and his ability to just push the ball back and prolong points and make the other guy hit multiple winners. This is why he is so good on a slow surface like clay and has been better on grass with the larger balls that tend to produce longer rallies.

Maybe this should go in the "dumb questions" thread, but aren't the balls standard on the pro tours? Are Wimbledon balls really different than the French Open balls? How many more times can I type "balls" in a thread before people start getting suspicious?

The balls are a standard size at all events. I think he might be referring to the different manufacturer of balls. I know for sure that Wimbledon uses Slazenger and the US Open uses Wilson. There is a big difference in the manufacturing of the balls, just like with golf balls.
Snowcool08
Lifer

Postby Maize » Mon 6/06/11 2:56 pm

The balls are essentially the same. It's just a matter of how they bounce on the different surfaces. On clay the ball sits up a little more, whereas at Wimbledon, the ball doesn't bounce as much on the grass, making for a quicker playing surface.
Maize
Super Vet

Postby Snowcool08 » Mon 6/06/11 3:02 pm

Maize wrote:The balls are essentially the same. It's just a matter of how they bounce on the different surfaces. On clay the ball sits up a little more, whereas at Wimbledon, the ball doesn't bounce as much on the grass, making for a quicker playing surface.

I understand this, but this year at the French they kept mentioning the new balls that are faster than in the years past. The announcers were saying that is why Nadal was struggling in the beginning of the tournament because he wasn't used to the new balls yet. The reason why Nadal is so good on clay is that he puts so much spin on the ball that his forehand bounces above the opponents shoulders. He wears players down by having them swing over their shoulders for a couple of hours and he had to adjust to these new balls to do that again.
Snowcool08
Lifer

Postby Maize » Mon 6/06/11 3:14 pm

Apparently you're right that they used a new ball at the French Open this year. That's what I get for not paying attention to the first week. I don't know that there was any real consensus on it making the game fundamentally different though. It seemed like a relatively minor thing.

I guess there was some talk about using larger balls at Wimbledon too, but I don't know if that ever went through.
Maize
Super Vet

Postby Hobey Baker » Mon 6/06/11 5:15 pm

It will be interesting to see the Wimbledon seedings .. Nadal 1, Fed 2, Jok 3 ????
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Snowcool08 » Mon 6/06/11 10:58 pm

Hobey Baker wrote:It will be interesting to see the Wimbledon seedings .. Nadal 1, Fed 2, Jok 3 ????

It will be the exact same as the French. 1. Nadal 2. Djokovic 3. Federer 4. Murray. If Nadal didn't beat Federer yesterday, he would be the #2 in the world and Djokovic would have taken #1. I don't know how that would have worked, but that's what I the broadcast said.
Snowcool08
Lifer

Postby Bushwood Gopher » Tue 6/07/11 11:12 am

Joe Posnaski, who I generally regard as one of the best sports writers around right now, has a timely piece on the Rafa/Federer rivalry.

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2011/06/06/t ... &eref=sihp
Bushwood Gopher
Lifer

Postby Hobey Baker » Wed 6/22/11 10:35 am

Anyone see that Isner beat Manhut yesterday in their Wimbledon opening match? They played on the same court. Isner won in straights.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Tue 6/28/11 2:55 pm

Both Williams sisters out and Nadal injured his foot yesterday but advanced.

Fed and Djokovic advance.

Marty Fish only american left in draw.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Wed 6/29/11 11:03 am

Fed ousted by Tsonga in 5 sets. Federer was up two sets to 0. It is the first time in 178 matches that Fed has lost after winning the first two sets.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Snowcool08 » Wed 6/29/11 2:13 pm

Hobey Baker wrote:Fed ousted by Tsonga in 5 sets. Federer was up two sets to 0. It is the first time in 178 matches that Fed has lost after winning the first two sets.

More exact, Federer was 178-0 in Grand Slams after winning the first 2 sets, not just any matches. That's a stunner of an upset. Also, Mardy Fish just couldn't hang with Rafa again and goes down in 4 sets.
Snowcool08
Lifer

Postby Chris Eckes » Wed 6/29/11 2:18 pm

Bummer, I was really looking forward to the Fed / Rafa final again.

Chris Eckes
Golden

Postby Snowcool08 » Thu 6/30/11 4:18 pm

The women's final is set. Maria Sharapova vs Petra Kvitova. Since I base all my cheering in women's tennis on looks, I will be pulling for Sharapova.
Snowcool08
Lifer

Postby MATT » Thu 6/30/11 4:41 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:The women's final is set. Maria Sharapova vs Petra Kvitova. Since I base all my cheering in women's tennis on looks, I will be pulling for Sharapova.

no love for this?
MATT
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Fri 7/01/11 1:48 pm

Djokovic gains his first Wimbledon final along with the Worlds #1 ranking.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Tue 7/05/11 11:57 am

Djokovic beats Nadal for his first Wimbledon title. It was Djokovics 5th straight win vs Nadal.

Reports are that Nadal had a broken foot and will miss the US hard court season but plans to play the US Open.

Tennis is in great shape with the big 3 (Nadal, Djokivic and Federer). The only thing missing is a top American.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Bushwood Gopher » Fri 9/09/11 3:35 pm

Roddick/Nadal just started on CBS if anybody cut out early for the day. :)
Bushwood Gopher
Lifer

Postby Superstar » Fri 9/09/11 4:54 pm

Bushwood Gopher wrote:Roddick/Nadal just started on CBS if anybody cut out early for the day. :)

Roddick's kinda getting his ass whooped...
Superstar
Golden

Postby Bushwood Gopher » Fri 9/09/11 5:24 pm

Superstar wrote:
Bushwood Gopher wrote:Roddick/Nadal just started on CBS if anybody cut out early for the day. :)

Roddick's kinda getting his ass whooped...

No question about it. Nadal thoroughly dismantled him. Semis are set:

Djokovic/Federer
Nadal/Murray
Bushwood Gopher
Lifer

Postby Snowcool08 » Sat 9/10/11 12:42 am

Men's tennis certainly has 4 players who are head and shoulders above the rest. Although it arguable Murray doesn't fit, he's only slightly below the top 3 guys and miles ahead of the rest of the field. Only twice this year has one of these four not made it to the semis. That was at Australia where Ferrer beat Nadal when Nadal hurt his hamstring and in Wimbledon when Federer lost to Tsonga in 5. It really takes something special to beat one of these 4 and it might quite a few years until their dominance lessens.
Snowcool08
Lifer

Postby Slap Shot » Sat 9/10/11 10:25 am

Parise, Roddick got bitch-slapped.
Slap Shot
Golden

Postby Bushwood Gopher » Sat 9/10/11 1:19 pm

Incredible tennis by Joker & Fed right now. Great stuff. Federer takes the first set 7 - 6.
Bushwood Gopher
Lifer

Postby Bushwood Gopher » Sat 9/10/11 4:24 pm

Novak Djokovic, in what maybe was the guttiest comeback of his career, beats Roger Federer in 5 sets to advance to the final. Federer was up two sets to love (182 - 1 in Grand Slam events when up 2 - 0) and Djokovic came storming back. Roger was serving at 40 - 15 (5 - 3) for the match but Djokovic hit an amazing passing forehand and broke him shortly thereafter. Held serve to make it 5 - 5, another break by Djokovic and he served it out to win the 5th set 7 - 5.
Bushwood Gopher
Lifer

Postby Snowcool08 » Sat 9/10/11 4:33 pm

Amazing match. Thankfully I found the live feed online at usopen.org and was able to watch it on my computer while football was on the big screen. Now we need Murray to put up a fight against Nadal and make it a great double billing.
Snowcool08
Lifer

Postby Hobey Baker » Tue 9/13/11 11:27 am

Djokovic rolls Nadal again to win his third Slam of the year.

Djokovics record against Fed and Nadal is unreal this year!

It is amazing looking at the match ups. Fed had the upper hand for three sets on Djokovic (should have won the match). Djokovic owns Nadal right now. Nadal just attacks the heck out of Fed's back hand.

Tennis is in a good place right now!
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Sat 11/26/11 9:33 pm

ATP World Tour Finals

Federer v Tsonga

Tourney notes:
1. Nadal and Djokovic failed to reach semifinals.
2. Federer beat Nadal 6-3 , 6-0
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Tue 11/29/11 4:06 pm

Federer deteats Tsonga 6-3,6-7,6-3 to win his 6th ATP finals title. It was also Fed's 70th career title.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Mon 1/16/12 11:57 am

Federer and Nadal both win their openers at the Aussie Open. Nadal and Federer are on the same side of the bracket also. Djokovic and Murray on the other side.

The big news is that Nadal has a new tendon injury in his right knee and almost forfeited his first round match. This injury also goes along with a very sore shoulder.

Federer's win was his 60th at the Aussie Open. He has 60 + wins at the US Open and Wimbledon.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Sun 1/22/12 2:09 pm

Some interesting matches on the horizon at the Aussie Open. This thing is really shaping up for some fireworks.

Top 4 still alive .. Djokovic, Nadal, Federer and Murray

Del Potro, Berdych, Hewett quitetly looming
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Tue 1/24/12 2:40 pm

Federer in straights over del Potro in Federer's 1000 career match. Nadal in 4 over Berdych.

Stage is set for Federer vs Nadal and Djokovic v Murray in the semis.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Snowcool08 » Wed 1/25/12 4:58 pm

Big matchup tonight/tomorrow morning between Fed and Rafa. I'm going to have to go with Fed on this one as Rafa struggled with Berdych in the last round and doesn't look 100%. As for Murray vs. Djokovic, Djokovic is just too good right now and should win handily. He got beat up playing against Ferrer and that should even it out a bit.

On the women's side, I would like to see Azarenka vs Sharapova in the final. Instead, it will more than likely be Clijsters vs Kvitova.
Snowcool08
Lifer

Postby Snowcool08 » Thu 1/26/12 4:55 pm

Nadal beat Federer this morning in a close match. For some reason, Federer doesn't exploit Nadal's weakness (backhand) nearly enough and Nadal has no trouble pounding Federer's backhand to a win. Nadal is now 9-2 vs Federer in Grand Slam matches. The mystique of Federer being the best player ever is dwindling with each loss to Nadal.
Snowcool08
Lifer

Postby Hobey Baker » Sun 1/29/12 7:45 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:Nadal beat Federer this morning in a close match. For some reason, Federer doesn't exploit Nadal's weakness (backhand) nearly enough and Nadal has no trouble pounding Federer's backhand to a win. Nadal is now 9-2 vs Federer in Grand Slam matches. The mystique of Federer being the best player ever is dwindling with each loss to Nadal.

As you say that, Djokovic has just beaten Nadal for the 7th straight time (third major final in a row). Djokovic pounds Nadals backhand. Federer matches up much better v Djokovic .. beat him at last years French and should have beaten him at the US Open.

The semi's and final for this Austrailian Open might go down as the best I have ever witnessed. Matches and level of play were unreal. The final lasted 5:53 minutes.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Snowcool08 » Sun 1/29/12 9:51 pm

After nearly 6 hours of play the last thing Rafa and Novak wanted to do was stand and listen to speeches. Since I stayed up all night to watch the match, I found this to be hilarious.

Snowcool08
Lifer

Postby Chris Eckes » Mon 1/30/12 12:37 am

wow what a match today. I got up and flipped on what I assumed to be the replay of the match. To find out it was STILL GOING and only in the fourth set at around noon MN time - CRAZY

Chris Eckes
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Sat 3/17/12 11:30 pm

Indian Wells BNP Paribas

Semi final action:
Isner d Djokovic 7-6, 3-6, 7-6
Federer d Nadal 6-3, 6-4
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Sun 3/18/12 8:48 pm

Federer down Isner in straights 6 and 3 for 19th Masters title.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Sun 5/27/12 8:58 pm

Roddick's struggle continues with a first round exit at the French today. Roddick's record is 7-10 overall and 0-4 this year on clay.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Sat 6/02/12 8:43 pm

Federer breaks Jimmy Connors record of most major championship match victories with his 234 win in 4 sets over Ungur.

Federer in now 234-35 in the Grand Slams, an .870 winning %.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Bushwood Gopher » Fri 6/08/12 11:58 am

Nadal advances to the French Final in straight sets over Ferrer and right now Djokovic leads Federer 2 sets to love and is up a break in the 3rd, 4 - 2.

EDIT: Djokovic closes out Federer in straight sets and will meet Nadal in the final.
Bushwood Gopher
Lifer

Postby Hobey Baker » Fri 6/08/12 1:01 pm

Bushwood Gopher wrote:Nadal advances to the French Final in straight sets over Ferrer and right now Djokovic leads Federer 2 sets to love and is up a break in the 3rd, 4 - 2.

EDIT: Djokovic closes out Federer in straight sets and will meet Nadal in the final.

6-4,7-5,6-3
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Sun 6/10/12 3:41 pm

Nadal and Djokovic French final suspended due to rain. Nadal leads 2 sets to 1 but Djokovik is up a break in the 4th.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Mon 6/11/12 12:22 pm

Nadal wins his record 7th French open title by beating Djokovic in 4 sets: 6-4, 6-3, 2-6, 7-5.

His record in the French Open is an unbelievable 52-1.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Chris83 » Mon 6/25/12 1:46 pm

Venus Williams goes out in the first round at Wimbledon, defeated 6-1, 6-3.
Chris83
Lifer

Postby Hobey Baker » Mon 6/25/12 4:20 pm

Chris83 wrote:Venus Williams goes out in the first round at Wimbledon, defeated 6-1, 6-3.

Health issues and hasn't played much.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Snowcool08 » Thu 6/28/12 3:46 pm

Rafa is currently in trouble in the 5th set. He's down a break and 3-1. Lukas Rosol from the Czech Republic is hitting everything as hard as he possibly can.
Snowcool08
Lifer

Postby Snowcool08 » Thu 6/28/12 4:29 pm

Down goes Rafa. I'm not sure if Rosol can keep up his high risk, high power style of play and still win. It sure was fun to watch. The draw now opens up for Andy Murray to possibly get to the finals.
Snowcool08
Lifer

Postby Hobey Baker » Thu 6/28/12 4:34 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:Down goes Rafa. I'm not sure if Rosol can keep up his high risk, high power style of play and still win. It sure was fun to watch. The draw now opens up for Andy Murray to possibly get to the finals.

Did Rafa have any problems with his knee?
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Thu 6/28/12 5:00 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:Down goes Rafa. I'm not sure if Rosol can keep up his high risk, high power style of play and still win. It sure was fun to watch. The draw now opens up for Andy Murray to possibly get to the finals.

Too bad Roger and Novak are on the same side of the draw.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Thu 7/05/12 8:28 am

Federer v Djokovic, Murray v Tsonga in Wimbledon semis.

Federer broke Jimmy's Connor (31) record for most career Grand Slam Semifinal appearances with his quarterfinal win, 32.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby gopher wes » Thu 7/05/12 8:44 am

That Murray/Ferrer match yesterday was great! Wimbledon will be rockin' if Murray makes the final.
I ♥ Golden Gopher Hockey :pelvic_thrust:
Playstation Network Username: gopher_wes
Golden Gopher Hockey 2011-2012: "We Found Love in a Hopeless Place"
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=29 ... ef=profile
gopher wes
Lifer

Postby psych » Fri 7/06/12 9:34 am

Roger dismantles Djokovic (who self-destructed) to move on to the final. I would love to see a Federer vs. Murray final, although I would be torn on who to cheer for.
psych
Lifer

Postby Hobey Baker » Fri 7/06/12 9:38 am

Federer with a 6-3, 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 victory over Djokovic.

It is a record 8th Wimbledon final (modern era) for Roger. He will face the winner of the Murray / Tsonga match.

Roger is looking to tie Pete Sampras with 7 Wimbledon titles.

Roger has a chance to regain the #1 ranking (with a win in the final). If he ragains the #1 ranking, Roger would then have the chance to tie and break Pete Sampras record for weeks ranked as Worlds #1. Sampras was ranked #1 for 286 weeks. Roger has been #1 for 285 weeks. Another incredible career statistic.

Just think if Federer wins the final. That would mean Djokovic won in Australia, Nadal in Paris and Roger at Wimbledon. I think tennis is in a very good place right now.
Last edited by Hobey Baker on Fri 7/06/12 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby trixR4kids » Fri 7/06/12 9:40 am

Way to go Fed! I figure if there's any Grand Slam he has a chance of winning it's Wimbledon and now he has a really good shot at doing just that.
trixR4kids
Legend

Postby Hobey Baker » Fri 7/06/12 9:46 am

trixR4kids wrote:Way to go Fed! I figure if there's any Grand Slam he has a chance of winning it's Wimbledon and now he has a really good shot at doing just that.

Dont count him out at the US Open either, especially if he moves to Worlds #1 and Djokovic and Nadal have beat each other up in the semis. It is much less work for Roger to only have to play one of those guys.

Your point about the grass is correct though. Nadal and Djokovic can't expolit Rogers backhand .. ball stays lower and Roger can hit thorugh it and dictate the pace (slice, top spins or power).
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby Hobey Baker » Sat 7/07/12 11:48 am

Serena wins her 5th Wimbledon title in three sets over Radwanska 6-1, 5-7, 6-2

Federer v Murray in a historic Wimbledon mens final. Fed vying for his 7th Wibledon title and Murray his first Grand Slam along with Britains first mens single championship since Fred Perry in 1936.
Hobey Baker
Golden

Postby psych » Sat 7/07/12 5:02 pm

Jonathan Marray of Britain and Frederik Nielsen of Denmark beat Robert Lindstedt of Sweden and Horia Tecau of Romania 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (5), 6-7 (5), 6-3. Marray is the first British man to win a title at Wimbledon since 1936. Sensational match to watch. I find myself actually enjoying doubles just as much, if not more than singles matches.

Also, Serena and Venus Williams just won their 5th Wimbledon doubles title together, defeating two ladies from the Czech Republic.
psych
Lifer

Postby Chris83 » Sun 7/08/12 12:18 pm

Roger Federer wins his 7th Wimbledon title, defeating Andy Murray 4-6, 7-5, 6-3, 6-4

Murray give it a great effort, but looked a bit drained starting in the third set. Federer is awesome though.
Chris83
Lifer

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports