Tee to Green!

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.

Tee to Green!

Postby Hobey Baker » Mon 5/09/05 12:32 am

Talk about new golf equipment, great golf getaways, PGA chatter and anything else golf related. I left a note in Golf Courses (course condition) and thought this might be easier so lets leave conditions and pricing to Golf Courses? Or if Jupiter wants to combine the two and change the title to Tee to Green, so all the golf talk can go under one header, cool.

I am trying the new Ping G2 Driver. The ping gets the ball up and adds 10 - 20 yards to my drive. It is the real deal. Anyone have the new r7? What do you think?

Woogs Looper had a good recap of the Wachovia in Golf Courses?. I still can't believe Sergio blew a six shot lead. He actually lost the lead at the 12th hole and then had two birdies but blew the lead again. Sergio three putted on the first playoff hole. That has to hurt. Vijay just keeps rollin' along.
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Bag for a beginner

Postby Gophan » Mon 5/09/05 12:44 am

I've been shopping for clubs for months now. I found that everytime I swing a Callaway, I hit it really well. I'm fairly new to the game and wonder if I would be better off buying a random brand set for $200. I've been taking lessons and my pro says that that would be just fine for a beginner. To get the game down first, and then invest in clubs that are more expensive. Also, I found that I like men's steel clubs rather than women's graphite. What's up with that? I was also wondering what a well-rounded bag should consist of. I hear that more and more people are replacing their 3 & 4 irons with hybrids and beginners don't need a driver. I need help.
User avatar
Gophan
Rookie
 
Posts: 441
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri 4/29/05 9:48 am

Postby allan » Mon 5/09/05 12:57 am

I play Callaway irons and the new Callaway driver. I love those irons, I hit the ball more consistent and 2 clubs further than my old irons. I'm still trying to get a good solid feel for the driver. Though when I hit it at the dome during the golf show they were all upper deck shots, straight as an arrow. My hands are coming through impact ahead of the club right now, so I gotta fix that.

I hit the R7, it was nice, but I liked the Callaway more. If i didn't already have next to new irons, I'd give the new Pings a look, all I hear are great things about those. My dad has a new set of Cleveland irons that he is hitting really well so far.

A well rounded golf bag should have a few things, a towel, your prefered golf ball type, bug spray (but don't put it on while on the green), an umberalla (just in case), tees, ball mark repairer, golf clubs (obviously), I like having a water bottle, and I can't really think of much else.
User avatar
allan
Golden
 
Posts: 729 • Age: 30
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue 12/14/04 3:46 am
Location: Ramsey

Re: Bag for a beginner

Postby allan » Mon 5/09/05 1:02 am

Gophan wrote: I hear that more and more people are replacing their 3 & 4 irons with hybrids and beginners don't need a driver. I need help.


If you are just starting, leave the driver at home. For years I hit a 3 wood, 5 wood, and long irons off the tee. Much more accurate, not as long, but it leaves you in managable positions.

A lot of people are replacing 3 and 4 irons because they are tough to hit. I am not one of those people, I enjoy hitting a 4 iron and i don't carry a 3, I have a 10 iron in my set instead. The hybrid clubs are pretty easy to hit compared to 3 and 4 irons.
User avatar
allan
Golden
 
Posts: 729 • Age: 30
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue 12/14/04 3:46 am
Location: Ramsey

Postby Hobey Baker » Mon 5/09/05 7:11 am

Speaking of the Ping irons, I put a combo set together. 3 G2 HL, 4 - 6 G2, 7 - 9 eye 3 +. Works great. Bigger sweet spot on the low irons.
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Postby TheColonel » Mon 5/09/05 10:19 am

I work in a pro shop and we've seen the best sales so far in the G2 driver. I've heard nothing but good from the customers about it.
TheColonel
Super Vet
 
Posts: 1196
Likes: 1 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon 4/11/05 3:31 pm

Postby Hobey Baker » Mon 5/09/05 10:31 am

TheColonel wrote:I work in a pro shop and we've seen the best sales so far in the G2 driver. I've heard nothing but good from the customers about it.


I find that it is very forgiving. Your misses aren't as far right or left. It launches the ball so high and far. It is ridiculous. I am hitting the 10 degree and want to hit the 8.5 before I purchase.
Last edited by Hobey Baker on Mon 5/09/05 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Re: Bag for a beginner

Postby sunbone » Mon 5/09/05 10:38 am

Gophan wrote:I've been shopping for clubs for months now. I found that everytime I swing a Callaway, I hit it really well. I'm fairly new to the game and wonder if I would be better off buying a random brand set for $200. I've been taking lessons and my pro says that that would be just fine for a beginner. To get the game down first, and then invest in clubs that are more expensive. Also, I found that I like men's steel clubs rather than women's graphite. What's up with that? I was also wondering what a well-rounded bag should consist of. I hear that more and more people are replacing their 3 & 4 irons with hybrids and beginners don't need a driver. I need help.


When I started, I just bought a set of cheapie clubs. Wanted to make sure I actually liked the game and wanted to keep playing before I spent over a grand on clubs. Used them for a couple years and then took the plunge. Just my $.02.
User avatar
sunbone
Golden
 
Posts: 5981 • Age: 47
Likes: 48 posts • Liked in: 1326 posts
Joined: Fri 2/11/05 3:18 pm
Location: PWC

Postby stan_5150 » Mon 5/09/05 11:32 am

I went to a used sporting good store in Bloomington a few years ago and picked up my first set of clubs: Wilson Pro-Staff irons, Taylor Made Burner driver (10.5 degree), and Taylor Made Tour Spoon for my 3W. (That's my $$$ club). I spent maybe $250 tops for the whole set including bag and it's worked out fine. I don't get to play as much as I like and I can't justify shelling out a mortgage payment on clubs I'mnot going to use more than a handful of times a year. If/when I get out more it might justify an additional investment but for now I'm good. In fact, right now I'd like to get my clubs regripped. Anyone have any suggesions on that for me?
Updated 4/13 StanimalsWorld
User avatar
stan_5150
Super Vet
 
Posts: 2311 • Age: 46
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Wed 4/09/03 1:07 pm
Location: Rosemount

Postby Gophan » Mon 5/09/05 4:44 pm

Thank you all for your input.
User avatar
Gophan
Rookie
 
Posts: 441
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri 4/29/05 9:48 am

Postby Hobey Baker » Mon 5/09/05 11:14 pm

Anybody got a good golf trip planned? Brainard, Pebble Beach, Kohler, Bandon, or Pinehurst? Tell us!
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Postby allan » Tue 5/10/05 12:01 am

Hobey Baker wrote:Anybody got a good golf trip planned? Brainard, Pebble Beach, Kohler, Bandon, or Pinehurst? Tell us!


My dad and I are throwing around the idea of heading to Giants Ridge for a weekend. Also, we've always wanted to get to Bethpage Black or Sawgrass, those would be awesome, but not looking good for this season.
User avatar
allan
Golden
 
Posts: 729 • Age: 30
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue 12/14/04 3:46 am
Location: Ramsey

Postby TheColonel » Tue 5/10/05 10:34 am

If anyone is in the market for a new bag, the pro at my course is looking to sell a few @ wholesale prices.
brands like ping, precept, mizuno, sun mountain, titleist, etc.
TheColonel
Super Vet
 
Posts: 1196
Likes: 1 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon 4/11/05 3:31 pm

Postby Hobey Baker » Fri 5/13/05 4:17 pm

Tiger bogey's 18th hole at the Byron Nelson today to finish +1 and that has put his consecutive cut streak in jeopardy. The streak is at 142 consecutive events. The projected cut is at even par.

Tiger misses the cut and the streak is stopped at 142. This is the first time in 7 years that Tiger isn't playing into the weekend in a stroke play event.
Last edited by Hobey Baker on Sat 5/14/05 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Postby Gophan » Fri 5/13/05 4:39 pm

Okay guys. I did it. I set aside my taste for Callaway, and went with a cheap set, made by Precise. I found it at 2nd Swing for $299. It came complete with:

• titanium driver
• 3 fairway woods (3, 5 & 7)
• 1 hybrid wood (24 degree)
• sand wedge
• pitching wedge
• 6, 7, 8 & 9 irons
• putter
• bag

They actually have a nice cavity backed head and a fairly large sweet spot. (which the bigger the better for me)

I think that it will be fine for now, until I am comfortable with my game. They feel good, but they're women's graphite clubs and I found that I really liked a men's steel club. I have to slow down my swing and not be so aggressive, something that I've been working on. I'm excited to get to the range and check them out. 2nd Swing doesn't have a very great testing area.

Have I made a big mistake? Or did I do the right thing?
User avatar
Gophan
Rookie
 
Posts: 441
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri 4/29/05 9:48 am

Postby allan » Fri 5/13/05 8:10 pm

That looks like a pretty solid set to start out with. I have found that with swing speed, slower is better (as I'm sure many others have found also) When you swing harder you have tendancies to get your hands out of position, the club face isn't square, any number of things really.
User avatar
allan
Golden
 
Posts: 729 • Age: 30
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue 12/14/04 3:46 am
Location: Ramsey

Postby Hobey Baker » Sat 5/14/05 9:20 am

Tiger is still not back! I can't believe his cut streak ended. It is funny to say this but these guys go through the same things we hacks do. One day your driver is on and you can't putt. The next day you can't putt but you are hitting all the fairways. That is why golf is the best! You have to work your ass off to be good in this game.

The new longest consecutive cut streak is at 20, held by Ernie Els.

How about Annika today. At one point, she had an 11 shot lead. That is ridiculous.
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Postby Kessel Guy » Sun 5/15/05 8:11 pm

Purdy wins the Byron. O'Hair second and Vijay is third.
Kessel Guy
Rookie
 
Posts: 213
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed 3/02/05 4:33 pm

Postby Hobey Baker » Sun 5/15/05 8:27 pm

How good is Annika? She wins for the 6th time in 7 starts. She just won her 60th tournament. She wins her 60th tourney by 10 shots.

It is hard to believe but she has been over shadowed by Tiger and Vijay. She is dominating like Tiger did in 2000. Blowing the field away.
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Postby rushmore88 » Mon 5/16/05 9:23 am

Hobey Baker wrote:Anybody got a good golf trip planned? Brainard, Pebble Beach, Kohler, Bandon, or Pinehurst? Tell us!


I have nothing planned as of yet this summer, but I was fortunate enough to play 4 rounds of golf in Scotland over the past 1+ years (on 2 separate trips), and if anyone ever has the chance, I HIGHLY recommend it. True links golf is absolutely unbelievable. I played Turnberry, North Berwick, and Dunbar, which are three of the best links courses in all the UK. Visited St. Andrews (didn't play), and it's really moving to be so drenched in the history of my favorite game.
User avatar
rushmore88
Rookie
 
Posts: 389
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat 2/12/05 4:39 pm
Location: St. Paul

Postby Hobey Baker » Mon 5/16/05 8:24 pm

Jack Nicklaus stated that the "The Open" Championship will be his last competitive tournament. Jack said he might play some Skins or Father Son's but "The Open" will be the last. Jack enjoys his place in history but doesn't consider himself competitive anymore. Jack won two of his 18 Majors at St. Andrews.
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Postby Gophan » Mon 5/16/05 11:40 pm

rushmore88 wrote:
Hobey Baker wrote:Anybody got a good golf trip planned? Brainard, Pebble Beach, Kohler, Bandon, or Pinehurst? Tell us!


I have nothing planned as of yet this summer, but I was fortunate enough to play 4 rounds of golf in Scotland over the past 1+ years (on 2 separate trips), and if anyone ever has the chance, I HIGHLY recommend it. True links golf is absolutely unbelievable. I played Turnberry, North Berwick, and Dunbar, which are three of the best links courses in all the UK. Visited St. Andrews (didn't play), and it's really moving to be so drenched in the history of my favorite game.


I dated a guy, that is actually from Canada, but his parents live in Scotland. He talked about the courses there ALL THE TIME. His parents are crazy into golf. He was just plain crazy. (I blame it on Canada)!
User avatar
Gophan
Rookie
 
Posts: 441
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri 4/29/05 9:48 am

Postby Hobey Baker » Thu 5/19/05 11:04 pm

Tiger Stats (from his 142 straight cuts made)

532 rounds
376 rounds under par
288 rounds in the '60s
69.26 scoring average

1,158 strokes under par
- 20 on the par 3's aggregate
-139 on the par 4's aggregate
-999 on the par 5's aggregate

79 Eagles
2,342 Birdies
5,939 Pars
1,106 Bogeys
110 Others

9,576 Holes
6,723 Greens in Regulation
15,302 Putts

37 Wins
13 Runner ups
8 Majors
80 Top 5's
97 Top 10's
130 Top 25's

Unbelievable! Staggering! Tiger!
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Postby allan » Fri 5/20/05 12:48 am

Wow, those are some unreal stats. 999 strokes under par on par 5's, that is amazing! :shock:
User avatar
allan
Golden
 
Posts: 729 • Age: 30
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue 12/14/04 3:46 am
Location: Ramsey

Postby Hobey Baker » Sat 5/21/05 7:08 am

Kenny Perry shoots -7 on Friday for a 63. His two hole score of 128 set the 36 hole record at the Colonial
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Postby rushmore88 » Tue 5/24/05 3:49 am

Man, when Kenny Perry is on, he's far and away one of the best players in the world. He's a class-act guy too; I'd love to see him win at Pinehurt or Baltusrol later this year.
User avatar
rushmore88
Rookie
 
Posts: 389
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat 2/12/05 4:39 pm
Location: St. Paul

Postby Goldy 79 » Tue 5/24/05 8:04 am

Got out for the first time this weekend, landed my first birdie of the season and missed nailing a hole in one by about 2 feet on the same hole.

Also got my first sunburn of the year
User avatar
Goldy 79
Golden
 
Posts: 1351
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri 2/11/05 12:35 pm
Location: Rochester

Postby Fear the Gopher » Tue 5/24/05 8:08 am

Hobey Baker wrote:Anybody got a good golf trip planned? Brainard, Pebble Beach, Kohler, Bandon, or Pinehurst? Tell us!


Played the Pines and Deacons Lodge last week. Never played Deacons before. My God is that a beautiful course. I highly recommend it!
"Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud,
after a while you realize the pig likes it."


Corpies: Teaching WPoS how to play BeerDarts since 2006
User avatar
Fear the Gopher
Golden
 
Posts: 2196
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed 2/25/04 2:15 pm
Location: Vadnais Heights, MN

Postby Hobey Baker » Wed 5/25/05 9:04 pm

Jack Nicklaus will be playing in his 30th straight Memorial, the tournament he founded in 1976. Jack is the only player to play in all 30 tournaments. Jack made the cut last year and finished 63rd. This is the one tournament Jack might continue to play because of designing Murifield Village and hosting the tournament.
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Newbie gear

Postby cavedog » Tue 5/31/05 6:59 pm

I'm quite excited as my golf lessons start next week and I have my gear bought\"collected"...here's what I have as a rookie - thoughts on improvements (other than get a 5 wood and a better putter - suggestions welcome on these two clubs WOULD BE GREAT):

Irons: New Cleveland TA-5 set (just arrived today!!)
Woods: Great Big Bertha Driver Titanium w/ War Bird soleplate (thanks Dad), Armour 845 Titanium 3 wood, Carbite Gear-Effect 7 wood

Wedges - just the standard Cleveland PW and a no-name sand wedge

Putter - Armour T-Line XXV blade - I've been told to buy a mallet-stylle putter for better control due to the back-weighting.

Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

THANKS!!!
User avatar
cavedog
Golden
 
Posts: 969
Likes: 1 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri 2/18/05 6:09 pm
Location: Champlin, MN

Postby allan » Tue 5/31/05 9:32 pm

I could amke a few suggestions on a putter and 5 wood. For a putter, I've had an Odyssey and have used it for years and I love it. For a 5 woods, Adams. They are affordable and easy to hit.

Have you hit those Cleveland irons yet? My dad has that same set and I hit them a few times and they are money. If you've hit them, how do you like them?
User avatar
allan
Golden
 
Posts: 729 • Age: 30
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue 12/14/04 3:46 am
Location: Ramsey

Postby cavedog » Wed 6/01/05 6:39 pm

allan wrote:I could amke a few suggestions on a putter and 5 wood. For a putter, I've had an Odyssey and have used it for years and I love it. For a 5 woods, Adams. They are affordable and easy to hit.

Have you hit those Cleveland irons yet? My dad has that same set and I hit them a few times and they are money. If you've hit them, how do you like them?


Allan,
Went with your advice on putters and tried a couple Odysseys - liked them all but settled on the White Hot Rossie mallet (35 inch) for 99 bucks online...liked the two ball models too but not enough to fork over the extra cash. Thank you! What a difference over the old blade putter...in the store at least!! :lol:
User avatar
cavedog
Golden
 
Posts: 969
Likes: 1 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri 2/18/05 6:09 pm
Location: Champlin, MN

Postby allan » Wed 6/01/05 9:25 pm

cavedog wrote:
allan wrote:I could amke a few suggestions on a putter and 5 wood. For a putter, I've had an Odyssey and have used it for years and I love it. For a 5 woods, Adams. They are affordable and easy to hit.

Have you hit those Cleveland irons yet? My dad has that same set and I hit them a few times and they are money. If you've hit them, how do you like them?


Allan,
Went with your advice on putters and tried a couple Odysseys - liked them all but settled on the White Hot Rossie mallet (35 inch) for 99 bucks online...liked the two ball models too but not enough to fork over the extra cash. Thank you! What a difference over the old blade putter...in the store at least!! :lol:


I know what you mean. I like those two ball putters, but for the amount of money they are asking, I wouldn't personally buy one. I remember a few years back when I was at some golf shop in Coon Rapids I saw an Odyssey hockey stick putter (like the one in Happy Gilmore) I didn't have the money to buy it then, but when I went back it was already sold. Man, I would have loved to have been able to pull that thing out of the bag and get some laughs putting with it!
User avatar
allan
Golden
 
Posts: 729 • Age: 30
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue 12/14/04 3:46 am
Location: Ramsey

Postby Hobey Baker » Thu 6/02/05 2:04 am

Hobey Baker wrote:Jack Nicklaus will be playing in his 30th straight Memorial, the tournament he founded in 1976. Jack is the only player to play in all 30 tournaments. Jack made the cut last year and finished 63rd. This is the one tournament Jack might continue to play because of designing Murifield Village and hosting the tournament.


The Memorial is this weekend. This is a great nonmajor tournament. 22 0f 29 Champions at the Memorial have won Major Championships. The only non major winner in the last 12 years is Kenny Perry. Check this one out if you get a chance. Most of the big names will be there.
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Postby Kessel Guy » Thu 6/02/05 11:44 pm

Sluman has the lead with a 7 under 65. Tiger shoots 69 and Jack 75. Vijay struggled and shot 77, his highest opening round since the 2000 PGA.
Kessel Guy
Rookie
 
Posts: 213
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed 3/02/05 4:33 pm

Postby cavedog » Fri 6/03/05 9:12 pm

allan wrote:
cavedog wrote:
allan wrote:I could amke a few suggestions on a putter and 5 wood. For a putter, I've had an Odyssey and have used it for years and I love it. For a 5 woods, Adams. They are affordable and easy to hit.

Have you hit those Cleveland irons yet? My dad has that same set and I hit them a few times and they are money. If you've hit them, how do you like them?


Allan,
Went with your advice on putters and tried a couple Odysseys - liked them all but settled on the White Hot Rossie mallet (35 inch) for 99 bucks online...liked the two ball models too but not enough to fork over the extra cash. Thank you! What a difference over the old blade putter...in the store at least!! :lol:


I know what you mean. I like those two ball putters, but for the amount of money they are asking, I wouldn't personally buy one. I remember a few years back when I was at some golf shop in Coon Rapids I saw an Odyssey hockey stick putter (like the one in Happy Gilmore) I didn't have the money to buy it then, but when I went back it was already sold. Man, I would have loved to have been able to pull that thing out of the bag and get some laughs putting with it!


WOW - went to our local club and spent 45 minutes with the new Oddy on the practice green - took a bit to get used to the poly insert from long range compared to the old all-steel putter but I'm automatic from 6-8 feet now...It was a good investment I think!! The mallet style seems to swing itself. I caught myself holding up a bit on the swing thru a couple times until I got used to the tempo...but I'm not turing the head as much as before...THANKS ALLAN!!
User avatar
cavedog
Golden
 
Posts: 969
Likes: 1 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri 2/18/05 6:09 pm
Location: Champlin, MN

Postby Hobey Baker » Sat 6/04/05 11:24 am

Kessel Guy wrote:Sluman has the lead with a 7 under 65. Tiger shoots 69 and Jack 75. Vijay struggled and shot 77, his highest opening round since the 2000 PGA.


Sluman holds a one shot lead over Woods. Failded to make the cut: Jack, Daly, Singh, Love and Weir.
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Postby Gopherguy33 » Sat 6/04/05 12:14 pm

Played The Refuge and Tanners Brook this week. They are in great shape. You guys have any suggestions on courses to play? Anyone play The Links @ Norfolk recently?
Don't let your mind wander; it's far too small to be let out on its own.

dxmnkd316- Nico came out like someone banged his mom and was looking for revenge.

streakygopher to DHG-I don't know what's better, the original faux pas or the sham bravado veiled over a piqued ego.

Hammy-Don't underestimate the impact of removing the poison from the system.
User avatar
Gopherguy33
Golden
 
Posts: 1126 • Age: 39
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun 2/13/05 1:47 pm
Location: Sec. 21 Row 8 or Shakopee

Postby Hobey Baker » Sat 6/04/05 10:45 pm

Anyone see Tiger pipe a 370 yd drive in today's round? It was unbelievable. Driver and then a 5 iron to the green on the par 5 11th (567 yds).

Four share the lead after the 3rd round: Toms, Couples, Bryant and Sluman.
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Postby allan » Sat 6/04/05 11:49 pm

cavedog wrote:
WOW - went to our local club and spent 45 minutes with the new Oddy on the practice green - took a bit to get used to the poly insert from long range compared to the old all-steel putter but I'm automatic from 6-8 feet now...It was a good investment I think!! The mallet style seems to swing itself. I caught myself holding up a bit on the swing thru a couple times until I got used to the tempo...but I'm not turing the head as much as before...THANKS ALLAN!!


No problem, happy to be of some assistance.
User avatar
allan
Golden
 
Posts: 729 • Age: 30
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue 12/14/04 3:46 am
Location: Ramsey

Postby Hobey Baker » Sun 6/12/05 6:51 pm

Annika is 1/2 way to the Grand Slam. We are wittnessing one of the great runs by any athlete in any sport. She is unblelievable!
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Postby cavedog » Sun 6/12/05 7:18 pm

Gopherguy33 wrote:Played The Refuge and Tanners Brook this week. They are in great shape. You guys have any suggestions on courses to play? Anyone play The Links @ Norfolk recently?


If you're up for a short jaunt outta the twin cities, Pebble Creek in Becker is "rumored" to be a good time. I'm still taking lessons there so I can't attest to much besides their driving range and putting\chipping practice areas. :lol: :lol:

Price is reasonable too...check their website:

http://www.pebblecreekgolf.com/
User avatar
cavedog
Golden
 
Posts: 969
Likes: 1 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri 2/18/05 6:09 pm
Location: Champlin, MN

Postby Hobey Baker » Sun 6/12/05 8:21 pm

Sergio wins the Booz Allen today. He shoots 65. He one putted 8 consecutive holes on his way to victory.

It is time to talk US Open, Pinehurst. Memories of Payne? Who is going to win? What do you think?
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Postby allan » Sun 6/12/05 10:14 pm

I've played Pebble Creek. It is a pretty good value. Very nice course, and it is a nice little challenge.
User avatar
allan
Golden
 
Posts: 729 • Age: 30
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue 12/14/04 3:46 am
Location: Ramsey

Postby Hobey Baker » Thu 6/16/05 12:14 pm

First round of the Open is under way. Browne and Mediate are at -3. Goosen and Westwood are at -2. Tiger finished even par.

A lot of these guys look like us out there today. Chipping over greens and blowing putts past the hole. This looks like quite a test of golf.

2nd round under way and Phil shot a smooth 77, +6 for the day and +5 for the tourney. Vijay is lurking with a solid even par round and still even for the tourney. The rest of the players are just teeing it up.
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Postby Kessel Guy » Fri 6/17/05 12:24 pm

Five players in red numbers right now and two have not started play yet today. This is going to be interesting. If Tiger can hang around today, we could be looking at a Goosen, Vijay, Furyk and Tiger battle this weekend. Three out of the four have won the Open before.
Kessel Guy
Rookie
 
Posts: 213
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed 3/02/05 4:33 pm

Postby Goldy 79 » Fri 6/17/05 12:53 pm

Sergio had a great round today, some excellent chips.
Boom goes the Dynamite!
Ty Webb: Thank you very little. ;) 8) :eyebrow:
User avatar
Goldy 79
Golden
 
Posts: 1351
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri 2/11/05 12:35 pm
Location: Rochester

Postby Hobey Baker » Fri 6/17/05 4:58 pm

Tiger finishes +1 and 3 shots off the lead. Three guys in red figures. Goosen, Vijay, Sergio, Furyk, and Woods all in the hunt. Should be a fun weekend, especially since you can get a double faster than you blink on this course.

Toms finishes double and triple bogey, ouch!
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Postby Chris83 » Fri 6/17/05 6:30 pm

Hey at least we're now into the weekend, so it's goodbye to Chris Berman...THANK GOD!!! :dance:

I'm the farthest thing from a golfing stuffed shirt, but jeezus, the guy never shuts up. And he HAS to be the center of attention: his little nicknames, his catchphrases ("going, going, going"). It was great yesterday; they were showing one of the threesomes teeing off #1, so the PA guy is introducing them and his mike was wired into ESPN's audio. Anyway, Berman talked over EACH players intro; when the next threesome hit the tee box, it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Obviously someone had wisely told him to clam up.

Yeah Boomer, we're watching the US Open for the golf, not for you. Save it for "NFL Primetime". Oh and by the way...don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. :censored:
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
User avatar
Chris83
Lifer
 
Posts: 3424 • Age: 54
Likes: 448 posts • Liked in: 308 posts
Joined: Fri 2/11/05 10:37 am
Location: Welch, MN

Postby Hobey Baker » Sun 6/19/05 10:01 am

Goosen. This guy has the formula down for winning this tourney. He figures out the speed of the greens better than the rest.
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Ouch - anyone had this before?

Postby cavedog » Sun 6/19/05 7:17 pm

Towards the end of my golf lesson Thursday, I felt a "twinge" in my rib cage on my right side when following thru on a driver tee-off. I was hoping it was nothing more than 1-2 day sore muscle thing (had plenty of those lately) but it still hurts a lot. My wife, who's a nurse doesn't think it's a fracture because there's no swelling and it doesn't hurt all the time - only when I stress that area, like getting outta bed, bringing the recliner to a sitting position, etc.

Anyone had a muscle pull\strain in the ribs and can you tell me how long it takes to heal? I'm a little concerned with my lesson coming up next Thursday again.

Thanks!
User avatar
cavedog
Golden
 
Posts: 969
Likes: 1 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri 2/18/05 6:09 pm
Location: Champlin, MN

Postby Fear the Gopher » Sun 6/19/05 9:37 pm

Hobey Baker wrote:Goosen. This guy has the formula down for winning this tourney. He figures out the speed of the greens better than the rest.


So much for this theory... Firing an 81 will mess up anyone's day...
"Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud,
after a while you realize the pig likes it."


Corpies: Teaching WPoS how to play BeerDarts since 2006
User avatar
Fear the Gopher
Golden
 
Posts: 2196
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed 2/25/04 2:15 pm
Location: Vadnais Heights, MN

Re: Ouch - anyone had this before?

Postby Chris83 » Sun 6/19/05 10:40 pm

cavedog wrote:Towards the end of my golf lesson Thursday, I felt a "twinge" in my rib cage on my right side when following thru on a driver tee-off. I was hoping it was nothing more than 1-2 day sore muscle thing (had plenty of those lately) but it still hurts a lot. My wife, who's a nurse doesn't think it's a fracture because there's no swelling and it doesn't hurt all the time - only when I stress that area, like getting outta bed, bringing the recliner to a sitting position, etc.

Anyone had a muscle pull\strain in the ribs and can you tell me how long it takes to heal? I'm a little concerned with my lesson coming up next Thursday again.

Thanks!


Cavedog,

It may be a muscular thing, but a couple years back I tore some rib cartilage while batting in a softball game. Your injury sounds a lot like that, and it took me several weeks to heal. I hope yours is much more rapid..amd less painful. Every sneeze was a new experience in pain.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
User avatar
Chris83
Lifer
 
Posts: 3424 • Age: 54
Likes: 448 posts • Liked in: 308 posts
Joined: Fri 2/11/05 10:37 am
Location: Welch, MN

Postby Chris83 » Sun 6/19/05 10:47 pm

Fear the Gopher wrote:
Hobey Baker wrote:Goosen. This guy has the formula down for winning this tourney. He figures out the speed of the greens better than the rest.


So much for this theory... Firing an 81 will mess up anyone's day...


I have never seen a final round of a major where virtually everyone who was in contention threw up all over themselves for 18 holes. Goosen's collapse really surprised me. I certainly didn't expect it, given his track record.

Thankfully Campbell and Woods gave us some first rate drama out there. I'm happy for Campbell; he seems like a class fellow who has worked incredibly hard to get to today. He seized his chance and didn't let go, even with Tiger making runs at him. Top rate response under pressure.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
User avatar
Chris83
Lifer
 
Posts: 3424 • Age: 54
Likes: 448 posts • Liked in: 308 posts
Joined: Fri 2/11/05 10:37 am
Location: Welch, MN

Postby Hobey Baker » Mon 6/20/05 10:07 am

Watching Tiger blow 16 and 17 reminded me of the Masters collapse on 17 and 18. You just don't expect that from Tiger. He led the tourney in GIR (Greens in Regulation) but his putting was terrible.

Campbell deserved the victiory. He was solid the whole day. He made some big putts.

Goose? I can't believe his day. He and Gore were a combined +25 for the day. Nice last group.
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Postby Goldy 79 » Mon 6/20/05 10:11 am

I don't think this should be considered Tiger "blowing" it -- just sounds harsh -- Tiger was going to have to make a great run on Sunday to catch the Goose -- The Goose is the man who blew it. If he just would have should even par, he would have walked away with it.

Campbell played solid he deserves te win, seems like a nice guy, lets hope he doesn't fade away - ala Rich Beem
Boom goes the Dynamite!
Ty Webb: Thank you very little. ;) 8) :eyebrow:
User avatar
Goldy 79
Golden
 
Posts: 1351
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri 2/11/05 12:35 pm
Location: Rochester

Postby Hobey Baker » Mon 6/20/05 10:18 am

Goldy 79 wrote:I don't think this should be considered Tiger "blowing" it -- just sounds harsh -- Tiger was going to have to make a great run on Sunday to catch the Goose -- The Goose is the man who blew it. If he just would have should even par, he would have walked away with it.


Goose threw up on himself, just one of those days that the whole world watched. Tiger would consider that he blew it! Horrible chip on 14, Bad chip on 16 and three putt on 17. He could have put the hammer down and Campbell would have heard the crowd and felt the pressure. We should have had a playoff!
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Postby Goldy 79 » Mon 6/20/05 10:27 am

I hear what you are saying on it, I am pretty sure Campbell would have melted if there was a playoff.

I missed most of the play on Sunday, wish I could have seen more of it. I would have liked to see Tiger win it.

Golf is a game full of those "what if's" Tiger said all week he didn't put well, I don't know how golfers can handle those wild swings, of up and down in the game of golf.

Good thing I never have to worry about handling the up swings, because my game is down and just stays there ;)
Boom goes the Dynamite!
Ty Webb: Thank you very little. ;) 8) :eyebrow:
User avatar
Goldy 79
Golden
 
Posts: 1351
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri 2/11/05 12:35 pm
Location: Rochester

Cleveland Launcher Fairway Woods

Postby cavedog » Fri 6/24/05 5:17 pm

Anyone use the Cleveland Launcher Steel FWoods, specifically the 15 and 19 degree models? Thoughts, experiences, etc...?

Thanks!

:)
User avatar
cavedog
Golden
 
Posts: 969
Likes: 1 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri 2/18/05 6:09 pm
Location: Champlin, MN

Re: Cleveland Launcher Fairway Woods

Postby allan » Sat 6/25/05 2:53 am

cavedog wrote:Anyone use the Cleveland Launcher Steel FWoods, specifically the 15 and 19 degree models? Thoughts, experiences, etc...?

Thanks!

:)


Wish I could help you with this one, but I've got nothin.
User avatar
allan
Golden
 
Posts: 729 • Age: 30
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue 12/14/04 3:46 am
Location: Ramsey

Postby Hobey Baker » Sun 6/26/05 10:05 am

Youth and inexperience lead the way at the US Women's Open. Michelle Wie (age 15) and Morgan Pressels (age 17) (both amatuers) are tied with Karen Stapels at +1 for the third round lead at Cherry Hills. Annika is at +6 (which is surprising). Catherine LaCoste was the last amatuer to win the Womens US Open in 1967.
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Re: Cleveland Launcher Fairway Woods

Postby cavedog » Sun 6/26/05 11:10 am

allan wrote:
cavedog wrote:Anyone use the Cleveland Launcher Steel FWoods, specifically the 15 and 19 degree models? Thoughts, experiences, etc...?

Thanks!

:)


Wish I could help you with this one, but I've got nothin.


I found a guy at work that actually plays these and he lent them to me for an evening - wow...what a difference over the crap I have in my bag. I got lucky and found slightly used Ti versions of the 15 and 19 degree Cleveland Launchers on ebay for 130.00 each!! Should arrive later this week. :dance: :drunk: :dance:
User avatar
cavedog
Golden
 
Posts: 969
Likes: 1 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri 2/18/05 6:09 pm
Location: Champlin, MN

Postby Hobey Baker » Wed 6/29/05 1:41 pm

Augusta National / The Masters is going to lengthen the course again to 7,445 yards. Whistling Straits, host to the 2005 PGA, is the only course longer to host a major at 7,515 yards.
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Re: Cleveland Launcher Fairway Woods

Postby allan » Wed 6/29/05 1:43 pm

cavedog wrote:
I found a guy at work that actually plays these and he lent them to me for an evening - wow...what a difference over the crap I have in my bag. I got lucky and found slightly used Ti versions of the 15 and 19 degree Cleveland Launchers on ebay for 130.00 each!! Should arrive later this week. :dance: :drunk: :dance:


Sounds like a pretty good buy.
User avatar
allan
Golden
 
Posts: 729 • Age: 30
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue 12/14/04 3:46 am
Location: Ramsey

Postby Goldy 79 » Wed 6/29/05 4:39 pm

Hobey Baker wrote:Augusta National / The Masters is going to lengthen the course again to 7,445 yards. Whistling Straits, host to the 2005 PGA, is the only course longer to host a major at 7,515 yards.


I don't know if I really saw a need to continue to lengthen that course again.

I can't fix my slice, my game is in ruins :anger: :| :( :|
Last edited by Goldy 79 on Thu 6/30/05 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boom goes the Dynamite!
Ty Webb: Thank you very little. ;) 8) :eyebrow:
User avatar
Goldy 79
Golden
 
Posts: 1351
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri 2/11/05 12:35 pm
Location: Rochester

Re: Cleveland Launcher Fairway Woods

Postby cavedog » Wed 6/29/05 5:06 pm

allan wrote:
cavedog wrote:
I found a guy at work that actually plays these and he lent them to me for an evening - wow...what a difference over the crap I have in my bag. I got lucky and found slightly used Ti versions of the 15 and 19 degree Cleveland Launchers on ebay for 130.00 each!! Should arrive later this week. :dance: :drunk: :dance:


Sounds like a pretty good buy.


Yes, it was a good buy. Pays to keep an eye on ebay I guess. Got them today and they're in very good condition. Driving range here I come!
User avatar
cavedog
Golden
 
Posts: 969
Likes: 1 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri 2/18/05 6:09 pm
Location: Champlin, MN

Postby allan » Wed 6/29/05 9:25 pm

Goldy 79 wrote:I can't fix my slice, my game is in runs :anger: :| :( :|


I know what you mean. This is the worst ball striking year that I've had since I started playing. I used to go to Great Northern driving range once a week in past years, but since they have closed, I've been to the range once so far this season. I have Rum River just down the road, but I don't really like the range and I'm not wild about the people there either.
User avatar
allan
Golden
 
Posts: 729 • Age: 30
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue 12/14/04 3:46 am
Location: Ramsey

Postby Hobey Baker » Thu 6/30/05 2:33 pm

Goldy 79 wrote:
Hobey Baker wrote:Augusta National / The Masters is going to lengthen the course again to 7,445 yards. Whistling Straits, host to the 2005 PGA, is the only course longer to host a major at 7,515 yards.


I don't know if I really saw a need to continue to lengthen that course again.


Tiger agrees with you. Tiger would prefer that Augusta National wait and see what the course was like under dry and fast conditions. Since the 2002 changes, Augusta National has not had a complete dry week for the tourney.

Augusta National is making changes to 6 holes.
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Postby Goldy 79 » Fri 7/01/05 8:23 am

According to Shooter's column

Twins closer Joe Nathan, an 8-handicap golfer, hit a 289-yard drive into the wind in Harmon Killebrew's charity golf tournament on the No. 2 hole at the Legends course Thursday, then holed a 128-yard wedge shot for an eagle.

I'd take that

Going up north this weekend and hoping to play some golf in the Brainerd area
Boom goes the Dynamite!
Ty Webb: Thank you very little. ;) 8) :eyebrow:
User avatar
Goldy 79
Golden
 
Posts: 1351
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri 2/11/05 12:35 pm
Location: Rochester

Postby Hobey Baker » Mon 7/04/05 12:01 am

Anybody watch the Western Open today? Tiger made a charge but came up short and Jim Furyk held on to win his first tournament since 2003. Tiger went birdie, birdie, and eagle on holes 9 - 11, but Furyk hung tough for the victory.
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Postby cavedog » Mon 7/04/05 7:47 pm

OMG - I made the mistake of demo'ing a Cleveland Launcher 460 cc Comp yesterday...groan...might have to sneak a purchase in...

Granted I'm just a greenhorn but I could seriously smoke the ball with this driver - and straight!! It put my Warbird Great Big Bertha to shame, altho my Cleveland ti 3 wood nearly accomplishes that...

I don't want to be a Cleveland homer but everything I've tried has been magic for me...Tried a friend's Ping G2 driver and it was nice but not what I got from the Cleveland...

Give one a try...it might rock your world...
User avatar
cavedog
Golden
 
Posts: 969
Likes: 1 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri 2/18/05 6:09 pm
Location: Champlin, MN

Postby Hobey Baker » Fri 7/08/05 9:51 am

Can Michelle Wie make the cut at the John Deere? She would be the first since Babe Z did it 60 years ago.

Wie misses the cut by two strokes, but finishes a head of 49 men.h
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Postby Hobey Baker » Wed 7/13/05 2:17 pm

British Open starts tomorrow. Any predictions? Comments on Jack's last major? Chances of Tiger winnning his second "Open" title at St. Andrews? Will we have another unknown champion?

Note: If Tiger wins the British Open, he will become the youngest golfer to win all 4 majors twice.
Last edited by Hobey Baker on Wed 7/13/05 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Postby allan » Wed 7/13/05 3:36 pm

Padraig Harrington was my pick until he withdrew because his dad passed away (best wishes to him) So now I like Chris Dimarco chances, Sean O'Hair is playing great golf and Michael Campbell could have a shot. But I think Tiger is the guy to beat.
User avatar
allan
Golden
 
Posts: 729 • Age: 30
Likes: 0 post • Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue 12/14/04 3:46 am
Location: Ramsey

Postby Hobey Baker » Thu 7/14/05 12:44 pm

Tiger goes low with a -6. Had it to -7 but bogied two on the back nine. Jack finished +3. He three putted 4 times. I hope he makes the cut.

How about Wie winning her 2nd match in the Publinx! It is getting interesting.The story is being overshadowed by the British Open. Could you imagine if she qualifed for the Masters. It would be great.

Wie is in the quarters!

Wie loses her quarter final match 5 and 4. Her Masters bid has failed, but she gave it a heck of an effort.
User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
 
Posts: 12700 • Age: 47
Likes: 9 posts • Liked in: 153 posts
Joined: Mon 2/14/05 12:33 pm

Next

Return to Other Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Armadillo, Google [Bot], kmd and 3 guests