Soccer

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.

Soccer

Postby gopherguy06 » Fri 7/29/11 11:56 am

I didn't see a soccer or World Cup thread other than the women's one.

US Men's National team fires coach and replaces with Jürgen Klinsmann as head coach of the U.S. Men’s National Team.

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-Natio ... S-MNT.aspx
gopherguy06
Lifer

Re: Soccer

Postby Chris83 » Fri 7/29/11 12:24 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:I didn't see a soccer or World Cup thread other than the women's one.

US Men's National team fires coach and replaces with Jürgen Klinsmann as head coach of the U.S. Men’s National Team.

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-Natio ... S-MNT.aspx

I like it!!! :thumbup:
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
Chris83
Lifer

Postby Neely » Fri 7/29/11 2:03 pm

Doesn't this say everything we need to know about US Soccer? We can't even find an American to coach our National team? Kind of like when France brings in a US guy to coach their hockey team. Not saying he isn't the right guy (I would have no idea) but you would think as long as soccer has been played in this country there would be at least a few qualified people that could run the national team.
My father established our relationship when I was seven years old. He looked at me and said, "You know, I brought you in this world, and I can take you out. And it don't make no difference to me, I'll make another one look just like you." -Bill Cosby.
Neely
Golden

Postby george » Fri 7/29/11 2:19 pm

Neely wrote:Doesn't this say everything we need to know about US Soccer? We can't even find an American to coach our National team? Kind of like when France brings in a US guy to coach their hockey team. Not saying he isn't the right guy (I would have no idea) but you would think as long as soccer has been played in this country there would be at least a few qualified people that could run the national team.

I think there may be, but they wanted someone with international experience who would bring some relevance and reputation to the team.
george
Golden

Postby Neely » Fri 7/29/11 4:00 pm

george wrote:
Neely wrote:Doesn't this say everything we need to know about US Soccer? We can't even find an American to coach our National team? Kind of like when France brings in a US guy to coach their hockey team. Not saying he isn't the right guy (I would have no idea) but you would think as long as soccer has been played in this country there would be at least a few qualified people that could run the national team.

I think there may be, but they wanted someone with international experience who would bring some relevance and reputation to the team.

I completely understand the logic of hiring someone like this. I guess my point was that it is sad that as long as we've been playing "futbol" in this country that there isn't an American that can fill that role.
My father established our relationship when I was seven years old. He looked at me and said, "You know, I brought you in this world, and I can take you out. And it don't make no difference to me, I'll make another one look just like you." -Bill Cosby.
Neely
Golden

Postby Ben » Fri 7/29/11 10:32 pm

First of all, Jay Goppingen has been here in the US since about 1998. He knows that the system here is broken (look up his comments on ESPN after the US lost to Ghana in the last World Cup.) and how he thinks we should fix it.

And Neely, do you know who England's manager is right now? :wink:
"If lessons are learned in defeat, our team is getting a great education."
- Murray Warmath
Ben
Golden

Postby Snowcool08 » Fri 7/29/11 11:31 pm

The Bradley firing was expected after the world cup showing last year and I'm surprised it took this long. I think the Gold Cup final against Mexico sealed the deal. I read this article saying that he wasn't coaching with an eye to the future. He was playing older guys in the Gold Cup final that would be too old to play in the next World Cup. It would be more acceptable to lose the match so poorly if he was playing younger guys trying to gain experience instead of playing old guys that will lead the team to nowhere. If this article represents the thinking of higher ups in the US Soccer organization, then it's completely understandable why he got fired.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/670 ... rd-lessons
Snowcool08
Lifer

Postby Neely » Sat 7/30/11 8:48 am

Ben wrote:First of all, Jay Goppingen has been here in the US since about 1998. He knows that the system here is broken (look up his comments on ESPN after the US lost to Ghana in the last World Cup.) and how he thinks we should fix it.

Nope, I don't. I have zero knowledge of international soccer other than I watch the World Cup when it is on. Again, I have no issue with hiring this guy and I'm all for getting the best guy to give yourself a chance to win, but, I'll say it again, find it interesting that you cannot find an American to run the team. It's actually no different at the youth level. My daughter has played in two different soccer associations and in each the person running it is from another country and her coaches have primarily been from outside the US. I cannot stress enough that it's not a problem for me as her experiences have been nothing but positive, just interesting. It says to me that despite the number of people play soccer in the US this country just cannot seem to catch onto the passion for this game that exists in other countries.
Neely
Golden

Postby Viking » Tue 8/09/11 12:08 pm

Neely wrote:
Ben wrote:First of all, Jay Goppingen has been here in the US since about 1998. He knows that the system here is broken (look up his comments on ESPN after the US lost to Ghana in the last World Cup.) and how he thinks we should fix it.

Nope, I don't. I have zero knowledge of international soccer other than I watch the World Cup when it is on. Again, I have no issue with hiring this guy and I'm all for getting the best guy to give yourself a chance to win, but, I'll say it again, find it interesting that you cannot find an American to run the team. It's actually no different at the youth level. My daughter has played in two different soccer associations and in each the person running it is from another country and her coaches have primarily been from outside the US. I cannot stress enough that it's not a problem for me as her experiences have been nothing but positive, just interesting. It says to me that despite the number of people play soccer in the US this country just cannot seem to catch onto the passion for this game that exists in other countries.

Having a national team coach from another country is quite common.
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.
Viking
Super Vet

Postby gopherguy13 » Fri 9/02/11 11:30 pm

Soccer had REALLY grown on me in the last couple years.

Friend of mine got me into it during the World Cup in '10, and now I really enjoy watching soccer.

USA is dominating Costa Rica tonight (despite a couple runs that CR made at the end of the first half), and should be leading 1-0, but all knotted at 0.

Anybody else watching?
"Oh, they're gonna dissect him like a frog. Like Kermit. That's probably my favorite frog.”
gopherguy13
Golden

Postby CollegeHockeyAddict » Fri 9/02/11 11:39 pm

gopherguy13 wrote:Soccer had REALLY grown on me in the last couple years.

Friend of mine got me into it during the World Cup in '10, and now I really enjoy watching soccer.

USA is dominating Costa Rica tonight (despite a couple runs that CR made at the end of the first half), and should be leading 1-0, but all knotted at 0.

Anybody else watching?

I am now as a result of seeing your post.
CollegeHockeyAddict
Veteran

Postby gopherguy13 » Fri 9/02/11 11:56 pm

CollegeHockeyAddict wrote:
gopherguy13 wrote:Soccer had REALLY grown on me in the last couple years.

Anybody else watching?

I am now as a result of seeing your post.

:thumbup:

We dominated the first 40 minutes, but Costa Rica has taken some control back. Defensive breakdown gives up the goal. 1-0 CR :anger:
"Oh, they're gonna dissect him like a frog. Like Kermit. That's probably my favorite frog.”
gopherguy13
Golden

Postby gopherguy13 » Sat 9/03/11 12:01 am

"Let's get chippy!" :lol:
gopherguy13
Golden

Postby Ben » Sat 9/03/11 12:02 am

gopherguy13 wrote:

We dominated the first 40 minutes, but Costa Rica has taken some control back. Defensive breakdown gives up the goal. 1-0 CR :anger:

Timmy got hung out to dry on that goal. Great 1st save, no help from the defense to avoid the easy finish. :ahhh:
"If lessons are learned in defeat, our team is getting a great education."
- Murray Warmath
Ben
Golden

Postby gopherguy13 » Sat 9/03/11 12:09 am

Ben wrote:
gopherguy13 wrote:

Timmy got hung out to dry on that goal. Great 1st save, no help from the defense to avoid the easy finish. :ahhh:

Yep, it's a shame, he almost saved the second one, too!
gopherguy13
Golden

Postby gopherguy13 » Sat 9/03/11 12:14 am

FK in the 91st minute. This would be clutch...
gopherguy13
Golden

Postby gopherguy13 » Sat 9/03/11 12:14 am

gopherguy13 wrote:FK in the 91st minute. This would be clutch...

Terrible FK :lol:
gopherguy13
Golden

Postby Jupiter » Sat 9/03/11 12:15 am

The U.S. just can't finish. Deserve their fate tonight.
Don't like how GPL is run? Get your own site if you don't like it!
Stop using Internet Explorer, it's for your own good!
Jupiter
The Bringer of Jollity

Postby gopherguy13 » Sat 9/03/11 12:17 am

Jupiter wrote:The U.S. just can't finish. Deserve their fate tonight.

Agreed. All goes back to that Landon Donovan miss. 10th minute I think? If he scores that I think this is a VERY different game. Gotta convert on those chances....
gopherguy13
Golden

Postby gator » Sat 9/03/11 7:05 am

KEEP YOUR STICK ON THE ICE
:trashpc:
The poster formerly known as gatorice
gator
Golden

Postby gobig6 » Sat 9/03/11 3:17 pm

Jupiter wrote:The U.S. just can't finish. Deserve their fate tonight.

That is what it is all about, you don't take your chances to finish when they are there it will come back to bite you in the end. With that being said I really enjoyed their play most of the game. It was good to see the US play some free-flowing attacking soccer for a change. If they can find a true goal scorer they could be a good team.
gobig6
Veteran

Postby Dances With Gophers » Fri 11/18/11 10:57 am

Suddenly, it all makes sense: "ND produces enough sugarbeets that produce enough sugar to sweeten 27 billion gallons of Kool-Aid." ND Fun Facts Image :ahhh:
Dances With Gophers
Golden

Postby Slap Shot » Sat 11/19/11 1:30 am

Sweet!
Slap Shot
Golden

Postby davescharf » Tue 12/13/11 1:16 am

looks like the EPL thread may be gone now, but this could be one of the goals of the year in the Premier League. Robin van Persie has just been electric for Arsenal this year.

Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.

Untappd user ID: Davescharf
davescharf
Golden

Postby Slap Shot » Tue 12/13/11 10:08 pm

I mentioned that goal at another goal.

Also loved seeing Chelscum beat City. :mrgreen:
Slap Shot
Golden

Postby gopherguy13 » Tue 12/13/11 10:22 pm

davescharf wrote:looks like the EPL thread may be gone now, but this could be one of the goals of the year in the Premier League. Robin van Persie has just been electric for Arsenal this year.

SUCH a sick goal!!!

That's like stuff you do on FIFA 12 :shock: :lol:
gopherguy13
Golden

Postby Slap Shot » Tue 12/13/11 10:38 pm

That announcer sounded so much like Michael Paliln I have expted him to say, "Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony".
Slap Shot
Golden

Postby gopherguy13 » Wed 1/04/12 11:01 pm

:shock: :shock:

How does this happen? :lol: :lol:
gopherguy13
Golden

Postby Chris Eckes » Thu 1/05/12 10:51 am

Slap Shot wrote:That announcer sounded so much like Michael Paliln I have expted him to say, "Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony".

LOVE this!
Formerly known as The X Factor
Gopher Hockey: Minnesota's Pride on Ice
National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Pride on Ice Blog: http://prideoniceblog.blogspot.com (click on the ads!)
Founding Member of the :ahhh: Fan Club - Est. 9/15/2010
2010 GPL Fantasy Baseball Champion
Chris Eckes
Golden

Postby gopherguy13 » Thu 2/16/12 12:43 am

Milan all but eliminated the Gunners from the Champions League today, dominating 4-0 victory. Robinho had two beauties!
gopherguy13
Golden

Postby davescharf » Thu 2/16/12 7:32 am

gopherguy13 wrote:Milan all but eliminated the Gunners from the Champions League today, dominating 4-0 victory. Robinho had two beauties!

Arsenal just hasn't been that good all year outside of Van Persie

davescharf
Golden

Postby Dances With Gophers » Thu 2/16/12 7:38 am

gopherguy13 wrote:Milan all but eliminated the Gunners from the Champions League today, dominating 4-0 victory. Robinho had two beauties!

AC or Inter?
Suddenly, it all makes sense: "ND produces enough sugarbeets that produce enough sugar to sweeten 27 billion gallons of Kool-Aid." ND Fun Facts Image :ahhh:
Dances With Gophers
Golden

Postby Viking » Thu 2/16/12 10:38 am

Dances With Gophers wrote:

AC or Inter?

AC Milan. Inter plays next week.
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

Viking
Super Vet

Postby gopherguy13 » Wed 2/22/12 4:01 pm

Good game so far between Basel and Bayern Munich. First half had some great scoring chances, hard to believe it's still nil-nil.

I love having a middle of the day break on Wednesdays, lines up perfectly with these Champions League matches :D
gopherguy13
Golden

Postby gopherguy13 » Wed 2/22/12 4:27 pm

Wow.

Basel up 1-0 on Bayern with a few minutes to play. Didn't see that coming!
gopherguy13
Golden

Postby davescharf » Wed 2/22/12 11:39 pm

gopherguy13 wrote:Wow.

Beating Man U and Bayern in the span of a couple months is a pretty good run for anyone, let alone a team from the Swiss leagues.

davescharf
Golden

Postby gopherguy13 » Thu 2/23/12 2:37 pm

davescharf wrote:

Beating Man U and Bayern in the span of a couple months is a pretty good run for anyone, let alone a team from the Swiss leagues.

No kidding!

And one of the commentators said 9 of their 14 (not 100% of the numbers) Champions League goals have come on the road. I would be a little worried if I was Bayern Munich!

Although I think Bayern can win by 2 at home, especially if Schweinsteiger is back (no idea how long he is out for)
gopherguy13
Golden

Postby Jrman » Thu 2/23/12 5:47 pm

gopherguy13 wrote:
davescharf wrote:

No kidding!

And one of the commentators said 9 of their 14 (not 100% of the numbers) Champions League goals have come on the road. I would be a little worried if I was Bayern Munich!

Although I think Bayern can win by 2 at home, especially if Schweinsteiger is back (no idea how long he is out for)

Last I heard from Schweinie's ankle issue was mid march so I don't see him back for the home leg of this tie (Heard from semi-reliable friend). Basel should be given a lot of credit for attacking the weaknesses of both Man Utd and Bayern. Both back lines they have faced have been suspect and Basel has gotten behind the defenses fairly easily.

As a Bayern fan my concern is on the eventual return of Van Buyten. He was the steadying force in central defense that allowed Bayern to advance in my opinion. If Badstuber can't mesh with Boatang then I think Bayern may see the dream end in this competition.

The most interesting thing so far to me will be how well the French clubs do away from home. OM squeaked by Inter and Lyon should have done more at home to Apoel. I had thought that the French were on the up with increased spending but looked lackluster in finishing.
Jrman
Golden

Postby Viking » Wed 2/29/12 4:41 pm

USA defeats Italy for the first time ever 1-0 in Genoa. Even though it was a friendly, it is a huge win.

Viking
Super Vet

Postby Jupiter » Wed 2/29/12 4:45 pm

NICE!!!!
Don't like how GPL is run? Get your own site if you don't like it!
Stop using Internet Explorer, it's for your own good!
Jupiter
The Bringer of Jollity

Postby kmd » Wed 2/29/12 5:54 pm

I liked the factoid that Dempsey is only the 4th American to score against Italy...ever.
kmd
Veteran

Postby gopherguy13 » Wed 2/29/12 9:52 pm

Great win!

I was able to watch most of it before going to class. I think I left in the 80th minute, Italy was putting on some great pressure, I was pumped when I saw that they won!

Dempsey's goal was nice. Hopefully him and LD will be able to play together soon.
gopherguy13
Golden

Postby GrandForksGopher » Thu 3/01/12 1:37 am

I'm a huge soccer fan. I watched the first half of this game and decided to take a nap at half because the US should have been down about 6-0. When I woke up and saw they won I was pumped.
Twins: Image
Vikings: Image
Wild: Image
Gophers Football: Image
Gophers Basketball: Image
Gophers Hockey: :chainsaw:
GrandForksGopher
Lifer

Postby gopherguy13 » Wed 4/18/12 1:54 pm

Barca and Chelsea are playing on FX right now in the first leg of the CL semi-finals.

Chelsea has looked pretty solid so far, but I don't think Barca will have too much trouble.

edit: as I hit submit, Sanchez hit the bar for Barca, glorious chance.
gopherguy13
Golden

Postby h8red » Wed 4/18/12 2:41 pm

GrandForksGopher wrote:I'm a huge soccer fan. I watched the first half of this game and decided to take a nap at half because the US should have been down about 6-0. When I woke up and saw they won I was pumped.

The win doesn't count because there wasn't a riot to make it official. Sorry.
h8red
Super Vet

Postby gopherguy13 » Wed 4/18/12 2:45 pm

SWEET goal for Chelsea right at the break! Fantastic assist from Ramires! :dup:
gopherguy13
Golden

Postby Viking » Wed 4/18/12 2:59 pm

gopherguy13 wrote:SWEET goal for Chelsea right at the break! Fantastic assist from Ramires! :dup:

Outstanding pass from Lampard to spring Ramires open too.

Viking
Super Vet

Postby Snowcool08 » Wed 4/18/12 11:02 pm

Drogba was flopping all over the place today. Kind of pissed me off that he ended up getting all the praise for getting the goal. He must have hit the pitch a dozen times without anything resembling a hit that would put him down. Messi has to be the best player in the world with 4 guys surrounding him. Whenever he gets the ball it seems like he has no chance, but he still makes something happen more times than not.
Snowcool08
Lifer

Postby gopherguy13 » Wed 4/18/12 11:25 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:Drogba was flopping all over the place today. Kind of pissed me off that he ended up getting all the praise for getting the goal. He must have hit the pitch a dozen times without anything resembling a hit that would put him down. Messi has to be the best player in the world with 4 guys surrounding him. Whenever he gets the ball it seems like he has no chance, but he still makes something happen more times than not.

Agreed. I was cheering for Chelsea to avoid a Barca-Real final, because I hate all the flopping that the Spanish teams do, but Drogba was giving them a run for their money today.

Still cheering for Bayern and Chelsea!
gopherguy13
Golden

Postby Jaykay3 » Thu 4/19/12 12:03 am

gopherguy13 wrote:
Snowcool08 wrote:Drogba was flopping all over the place today. Kind of pissed me off that he ended up getting all the praise for getting the goal. He must have hit the pitch a dozen times without anything resembling a hit that would put him down. Messi has to be the best player in the world with 4 guys surrounding him. Whenever he gets the ball it seems like he has no chance, but he still makes something happen more times than not.

Agreed. I was cheering for Chelsea to avoid a Barca-Real final, because I hate all the flopping that the Spanish teams do, but Drogba was giving them a run for their money today.

Still cheering for Bayern and Chelsea!

It wasn't easy but I was happy that the Blues pulled it off today. I agree that I would love to see Bayern vs. Chelsea but the Spanish teams are incredibly tough to stick with when they're at home.
Jaykay3
Veteran

Postby davescharf » Thu 4/19/12 1:16 pm

Barca and Real are both certainly tough at home, but now that Chelsea held Barca to no away goals that's a big tiebreaker in their favor. Even losing 2-1 allows them to advance now.

davescharf
Golden

Postby Viking » Thu 4/19/12 1:50 pm

davescharf wrote:Barca and Real are both certainly tough at home, but now that Chelsea held Barca to no away goals that's a big tiebreaker in their favor. Even losing 2-1 allows them to advance now.

Chelsea is going to have to score at Camp Nou to go through. There is no way they keep a clean sheet on Tuesday.

Viking
Super Vet

Postby gopherguy13 » Thu 4/19/12 2:23 pm

davescharf wrote:Barca and Real are both certainly tough at home, but now that Chelsea held Barca to no away goals that's a big tiebreaker in their favor. Even losing 2-1 allows them to advance now.

What are the tie break rules? I thought there would be penalties to break the tie if Barca wins by one goal in the next game.
gopherguy13
Golden

Postby Viking » Thu 4/19/12 2:55 pm

gopherguy13 wrote:

What are the tie break rules? I thought there would be penalties to break the tie if Barca wins by one goal in the next game.

Away goals is the tiebreaker. So if Barca wins 1-0, they go to extra time. If no one scores in extra time then it goes to penalties. If Barca wins the game 2-1, Chelsea advances on away goals.

Viking
Super Vet

Postby gopherguy13 » Thu 4/19/12 3:23 pm

Got it. Thanks for clarifying!
gopherguy13
Golden

Postby davescharf » Thu 4/19/12 4:01 pm

Viking wrote:

Chelsea is going to have to score at Camp Nou to go through. There is no way they keep a clean sheet on Tuesday.

Agreed...this is the type of game where Messi can go off for 3 or 4 in a half if Chelsea isn't careful. However, not conceding a goal at Stamford Bridge was huge for them.

davescharf
Golden

Postby h8red » Thu 4/19/12 4:07 pm

davescharf wrote:
Viking wrote:

Agreed...this is the type of game where Messi can go off for 3 or 4 in a half if Chelsea isn't careful. However, not conceding a goal at Stamford Bridge was huge for them.

Messi's speed and skill could definitely bury Chelsea quick-like but I think this will be a tightly contested match, probably 1-0 in the extra session. That would rock!
h8red
Super Vet

Postby Viking » Thu 4/19/12 4:09 pm

davescharf wrote:
Viking wrote:

True on both counts. I just don't know if they can withstand the pressure that Barcelona will bring for a second time. They did a damn good job yesterday, but also got lucky. Can that luck hold out for another 90 minutes?

Viking
Super Vet

Postby h8red » Thu 4/19/12 4:21 pm

Viking wrote:
davescharf wrote:
Viking wrote:

True on both counts. I just don't know if they can withstand the pressure that Barcelona will bring for a second time. They did a damn good job yesterday, but also got lucky. Can that luck hold out for another 90 minutes?

To quote the late great Archie Bunker, "Jeez, I can hardly wait!" Only truly, I can hardly wait!
h8red
Super Vet

Postby davescharf » Thu 4/19/12 7:03 pm

Viking wrote:
davescharf wrote:
Viking wrote:

I read somewhere that Messi hasn't scored in his last 6 or 7 games against Chelsea. Given his skill and unbelievable finishing ability that's actually a shocking stat to me.

davescharf
Golden

Postby dxmnkd316 » Thu 4/19/12 8:28 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:Drogba was flopping all over the place today.

That's the African style of play. They are just as bad as the South Americans. Those two continents are the absolute worst. I wish FIFA would put a worldwide ban on players from those continents.
The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back -H.Brooks

st8ofhockey: Is that a photocollage of a dick? Oh wait, that's Patrick Stewart

psych: haha, damnit dx, your phone is drunk again
dxmnkd316: f*** you, I can't stop any time I want
dxmnkd316: err wait

I don't think I'm always right. I just find it hard to operate on the opposite assumption.
Disclaimer: 95% of the things I post are jokes, sarcasm, or hyperbole. Thanks in advance for not taking things so literally
dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby Snowcool08 » Thu 4/19/12 9:11 pm

Viking wrote:
gopherguy13 wrote:

Away goals is the tiebreaker. So if Barca wins 1-0, they go to extra time. If no one scores in extra time then it goes to penalties. If Barca wins the game 2-1, Chelsea advances on away goals.

I did not know this so thank you. I just assumed that if the aggregate was tied it would go to penalties to decide it. The game is on the Fox Soccer Channel on Tuesday. I don't understand why they just couldn't put it on FSN or FX like Wednesday's game was. I don't have it, but a friend does. I'll have to avoid all sites until the nighttime when he gets off work so we can watch a DVRed version of it.
Snowcool08
Lifer

Postby davescharf » Fri 4/20/12 6:40 am

dxmnkd316 wrote:

That's the African style of play. They are just as bad as the South Americans. Those two continents are the absolute worst. I wish FIFA would put a worldwide ban on players from those continents.

I know that's your snark, but can we make an exception for Messi? For as much 'attention' he gets from defenses he is hardly ever on the ground. I wish the Brazilian style of soccer was how it used to be because that was so fun to watch. Now more than half of them are crybabies and floppers

davescharf
Golden

Postby h8red » Fri 4/20/12 7:25 am

davescharf wrote:
dxmnkd316 wrote:

I know that's your snark, but can we make an exception for Messi? For as much 'attention' he gets from defenses he is hardly ever on the ground. I wish the Brazilian style of soccer was how it used to be because that was so fun to watch. Now more than half of them are crybabies and floppers

Reminds me of Robbie Earl from Wisconsin. Wonder if he ever played soccer...
h8red
Super Vet

Postby Border Gopher » Fri 4/20/12 10:31 am

dxmnkd316 wrote:

You don't know much about soccer do you?
"A real man makes his own puck luck." - Billy Zane, Titanic
Border Gopher
Super Vet

Postby Border Gopher » Fri 4/20/12 10:34 am

Worst diving nations are Italy and Spain by the way. And many African nations don't dive. The Ivory Coast is an exception.
"A real man makes his own puck luck." - Billy Zane, Titanic
Border Gopher
Super Vet

Postby gopherguy13 » Sat 4/21/12 2:35 pm

Ronaldo scores 2 minutes after Barca ties the game. His celebration made me :lol:

Real up 2-1 in El Clasico with 25' to play
gopherguy13
Golden

Postby gopherguy13 » Sat 4/21/12 2:37 pm

And then he does that. :censored: you, Ronaldo.

I want to like him but I just can't. What a diving baby.
gopherguy13
Golden

Postby GrandForksGopher » Mon 4/23/12 12:01 am

Border Gopher wrote:Worst diving nations are Italy and Spain by the way. And many African nations don't dive. The Ivory Coast is an exception.

Ghana's performance against the US in the last World Cup was the single worst match I've ever witnessed for diving. It was unreal, far worse than anything you normally see. I remember towards the end one guy stayed on the ground so long they took him off on a stretcher and as soon as they got to the sideline he got up and walked to the bench
GrandForksGopher
Lifer

Postby Snowcool08 » Mon 4/23/12 12:08 am

GrandForksGopher wrote:
Border Gopher wrote:Worst diving nations are Italy and Spain by the way. And many African nations don't dive. The Ivory Coast is an exception.

Ghana's performance against the US in the last World Cup was the single worst match I've ever witnessed for diving. It was unreal, far worse than anything you normally see. I remember towards the end one guy stayed on the ground so long they took him off on a stretcher and as soon as they got to the sideline he got up and walked to the bench

I'd have to say the worst display I have seen was the US women vs Brazil in the most recent World Cup. It got to a point where the ref wouldn't stop play for an injured player. It worked out well for the US as that was a play where they scored the tying goal with about a minute remaining. I have rarely seen flopping and faking treated like that where the ref just has had enough and doesn't stop play.
Snowcool08
Lifer

Postby GrandForksGopher » Mon 4/23/12 12:44 am

Snowcool08 wrote:
GrandForksGopher wrote:

I'd have to say the worst display I have seen was the US women vs Brazil in the most recent World Cup. It got to a point where the ref wouldn't stop play for an injured player. It worked out well for the US as that was a play where they scored the tying goal with about a minute remaining. I have rarely seen flopping and faking treated like that where the ref just has had enough and doesn't stop play.

This should be done more in men's play
GrandForksGopher
Lifer

Postby gopherguy13 » Mon 4/23/12 2:43 pm

2nd legs coming up!

Barca vs. Chelsea tomorrow and Bayern vs. Real on Wednesday :dup:

I think we'll see a Bayern vs. Barca final.
gopherguy13
Golden

Postby Reg Dunlop » Mon 4/23/12 2:53 pm

GO MUNICH!!!
"Let 'em know you're there!"

Thirty-four: "Reg, I gotta tell you, of all the people on the board, you are one of the five I'd like to buy a beer!" :beerchug:

Frozen Four: BSU=JBSU=LOL
Reg Dunlop
Golden

Postby h8red » Mon 4/23/12 4:56 pm

Reg Dunlop wrote:GO MUNICH!!!

Go Munich...GO HOME! DOWN WITH MUNICH! It's a revenge game since they beat'em 2-1 a week ago.

Kinda like ND and the Gophs? Munich is going down!
h8red
Super Vet

Postby davescharf » Mon 4/23/12 5:52 pm

Call me in the minority, but I think Chelsea gets it done on aggregate at Camp Nou. The Blues have been playing really well of late and they've seemed to figure out how to handle Messi over the past few years.

As for the other semi, I just think Real Madrid is too talented for Bayern.

davescharf
Golden

Next

Return to Other Sports