Local Broadcasting/Media

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.

Re: Local Broadcasting/Media

Postby Beauner » Tue 4/10/12 11:49 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Was listening to PA this morning and he had on his weekly guest Mike Florio. How did this guy ever get to be (part of) the NBC Sunday Night Football telecast (that Dan Patrick hosts)? Is Profootballtalk.com that popular? Remember when he first started coming PA's show a few years ago and he was at least decent to listen to...although a bit arrogant.

Today Florio acted like a pompous prick. PA is kidding around with him at the start of the segment...for about 60 seconds in PA's long-winded but playful way...and Florio is like; you just wasted 2 minutes of time...now have wasted 3 minutes (implying his time is so precious and important)...but heh PA...its you're show. Florio has the personality...of a turd in a punch bowl. PA eventually moved on...but you could tell it pissed him off. Later on PA had Bert on and seemed annoyed at Bert not agreeing with him on a top 4 batting order of Span, Mauer, Morn. and Willingham...but I think his annoyance was more because he was still POed at what tool Florio is...wondering in anybody else was listening to this and what you're take was?

I didn't hear this particular segment but it doesn't surprise me.
Florio is generally a pretty popular radio guest, especially during the season and the weeks leading up to the draft. There are 32 NFL teams that have flagship stations that probably try to schedule him, so he's probably a little busy; and at this point a little stressed.

He's always had a little arrogance to him, but I've never heard him act like that before. Seems like he and PA generally get along.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"
Beauner
Golden

Postby Bushwood Gopher » Wed 4/11/12 1:10 am

bearpaw28 wrote:
Handyman wrote:I hate PA but I think he tries at least which is more than I can say about most in this market. (including KSTP until they got the coverage) He and Barreiro fully admit they dont follow the sport which is why they have interviews with guys like Lou (on Barreiro) and Potulny. (PA)

Minus when big games happen, it doesnt exactly make for compelling radio to talk about it. It is a niche sport that for the last few years even die hards had a hard time watching because the product was mediocre. Not to mention have you heard some of the rubes who call in when college puck is discussed...they rival the winners who call in on Vikings Fan Line after a loss ;)

For guys like PA and Dan (and others on the other stations) who arent hockey guys it is a no win. If they ignore it they get ripped for ignoring it, and if they try and cover it they get ripped because they dont know enough about it to speak intelligently.

The Marney thing is inexcusable though...pretty much after every game at some point she would say 'Senior goalie Kent Patterson' I mean come on. You work for FSN covering the team, know the team.

Was listening to PA this morning and he had on his weekly guest Mike Florio. How did this guy ever get to be (part of) the NBC Sunday Night Football telecast (that Dan Patrick hosts)? Is Profootballtalk.com that popular? Remember when he first started coming PA's show a few years ago and he was at least decent to listen to...although a bit arrogant.

Today Florio acted like a pompous prick. PA is kidding around with him at the start of the segment...for about 60 seconds in PA's long-winded but playful way...and Florio is like; you just wasted 2 minutes of time...now have wasted 3 minutes (implying his time is so precious and important)...but heh PA...its you're show. Florio has the personality...of a turd in a punch bowl. PA eventually moved on...but you could tell it pissed him off. Later on PA had Bert on and seemed annoyed at Bert not agreeing with him on a top 4 batting order of Span, Mauer, Morn. and Willingham...but I think his annoyance was more because he was still POed at what tool Florio is...wondering in anybody else was listening to this and what you're take was?

NBC bought ProFootballTalk.com and Florio still gets to operate it independently.

I did not hear the segment that you are referencing, but I have heard them a bunch of times and believe part of their schtick when together is that Florio acts like he's annoyed/irritated at PA. They usually goof around with each other so I would think they get along pretty well but maybe in this case Florio was genuinely annoyed. Lord knows it would be easy enough with PA...
Bushwood Gopher
Legend

Postby bearpaw28 » Wed 4/11/12 10:54 am

NBC bought ProFootballTalk.com and Florio still gets to operate it independently.

I did not hear the segment that you are referencing, but I have heard them a bunch of times and believe part of their schtick when together is that Florio acts like he's annoyed/irritated at PA. They usually goof around with each other so I would think they get along pretty well but maybe in this case Florio was genuinely annoyed. Lord knows it would be easy enough with PA...

Bushwood...Thanks...didn't know about the purchase by NBC...and that CLEARLY answers the question of how Florio got on NBC Sunday Night football. I'm sure PA and Florio likely get along fine...I just think PA plays nice with him and constantly mentions his website while on air with him...in a more forced way than with other regular guests.

I like PA...and although I agree he is sometimes irritating...I think he does put strong effort into all 3 hours... although he should take a few more calls. But PA is PA...if you listen to him you have to take the bad with the good. His ability to get quality guests is a strength...and at least he's made a bigger effort to include college and NHL hockey during the past year or two (post the Dubay meltdown).

Funny thing about Sludge...its the 24 hour SLUDGEATHON..where he is at his best...because he actually acts appreciative regarding the numerous on-air station personalities who come on and help him with the fund raising marathon. When Cary Noble was on for segments (she is moving down the dial to 97.1 I believe) or the 8 oclock hour with Rosen on...I could do without Sludge completely.

Best way I can describe Sludge on-air...he is like a defenseman who constantly rushes the puck in bad situations and turns the puck over...instead of playing within himself.. irritating the fans (the listeners in this case)...so it isn't like Sludge has no talent...its how he uses it the bugs the piss out of a lot of listeners...including me.
bearpaw28
Super Vet

Postby DirtySanchez » Wed 4/11/12 1:00 pm

My crack internet research skills came up with a gem of mine from 2 years ago that notes that Greenlay and Terhaar signed a 2-year deal with FSN...two years ago.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5886&p=302726&hilit=greenlay#p302726

I got Center Ice this past season and I'm convinced more than ever that the Wild have the worst TV analysts in the league. At best, I think that they are in the bottom 5. The fact that they believe that a Wild player has never committed a penalty aside, they both speak entirely in guarded cliches and offer little or no real analysis of the game, nor have any interesting insights to the personalities on the team.

Given that Gary Thorne has been all but tossed to the Wolves by ESPN and the fact that there are quality people all over the league in smaller markets with few hockey fans, I've got some cautious optimism that these two are shown the door and that an improvement can be made.

I'm curious to know if I'm in the minority...does anyone else despise their work as much as I do?
"NED? NED RYERSON???!?!?!?!"
DirtySanchez
Golden

Postby gopherguy13 » Wed 4/11/12 4:48 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:

Bushwood...Thanks...didn't know about the purchase by NBC...and that CLEARLY answers the question of how Florio got on NBC Sunday Night football. I'm sure PA and Florio likely get along fine...I just think PA plays nice with him and constantly mentions his website while on air with him...in a more forced way than with other regular guests.

I like PA...and although I agree he is sometimes irritating...I think he does put strong effort into all 3 hours... although he should take a few more calls. But PA is PA...if you listen to him you have to take the bad with the good. His ability to get quality guests is a strength...and at least he's made a bigger effort to include college and NHL hockey during the past year or two (post the Dubay meltdown).

Funny thing about Sludge...its the 24 hour SLUDGEATHON..where he is at his best...because he actually acts appreciative regarding the numerous on-air station personalities who come on and help him with the fund raising marathon. When Cary Noble was on for segments (she is moving down the dial to 97.1 I believe) or the 8 oclock hour with Rosen on...I could do without Sludge completely.

Best way I can describe Sludge on-air...he is like a defenseman who constantly rushes the puck in bad situations and turns the puck over...instead of playing within himself.. irritating the fans (the listeners in this case)...so it isn't like Sludge has no talent...its how he uses it the bugs the piss out of a lot of listeners...including me.

I like Sludge, don't really listen to him often because I am rarely up for the morning show, and Sludge and Lake is no longer on.

Pretty sure the Sludgeathon is this Saturday-Sunday, I usually try to tune in since I don't hear him that often. He does some great work for the Lupus Foundation. I hope they still have the Troy Williamson practice jersey :lol:
Everything's comin' up Milhouse!
gopherguy13
Golden

Postby h8red » Wed 4/11/12 5:04 pm

sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 wrote:bring back DUBAY some where.

First of all, what for? Just because he loved college hockey and the gophers doesn't mean he knew what the hell he was talking about.
Second of all, he's got a problem that he needs to figure out...until then he shouldn't be given any more chances.

You lie in the bed you make & I have no sympathy for addicts.
h8red
Super Vet

Postby ddaylisa » Wed 4/11/12 5:18 pm

H8red, maybe you should see who is an addict around you. Glen Sonmor is an addict. St. Paul newspaper had a nice article on him a few years back. Addicts ( I am one) have a diease and maybe read about it before you hate on us.
ddaylisa

Postby Maize » Wed 4/11/12 7:49 pm

DirtySanchez wrote:
Given that Gary Thorne has been all but tossed to the Wolves by ESPN and the fact that there are quality people all over the league in smaller markets with few hockey fans, I've got some cautious optimism that these two are shown the door and that an improvement can be made.

Gary Thorne does PBP for the Baltimore Orioles. I think he only works for ESPN on a freelance basis for the NCAA hockey tournament.
Maize
Super Vet

Postby DirtySanchez » Thu 4/12/12 9:09 am

Maize wrote:Gary Thorne does PBP for the Baltimore Orioles. I think he only works for ESPN on a freelance basis for the NCAA hockey tournament.

I did not know that...interesting. Thanks for the info.

I'll take ANYONE over what they have now, though. Thorne was really a pipe dream.
"NED? NED RYERSON???!?!?!?!"
DirtySanchez
Golden

Postby Jupiter » Thu 4/12/12 9:11 am

Maybe they will dump the current crew and move LaPanta & Gorg up to the Wild! :dup: :good2:

:biggrin2: :biggrin2: :biggrin2:
Don't like how GPL is run? Get your own site if you don't like it!
Stop using Internet Explorer, it's for your own good!
Jupiter
The Bringer of Jollity

Postby Tee09 » Thu 4/12/12 9:17 am

Jupiter wrote:Maybe they will dump the current crew and move LaPanta & Gorg up to the Wild! :dup: :good2:

The wristers are definitely more twisted at the NHL level. Not sure about the relative quantity of (d)rinkwides.
Tee09
Golden

Postby Norm » Thu 4/12/12 10:36 am

Jupiter wrote:Maybe they will dump the current crew and move LaPanta & Gorg up to the Wild! :dup: :good2:

You meant to say down, didn't you?
Norm
Golden

Postby Jupiter » Fri 4/13/12 10:25 am

StarTribune.com and Malware....

A few of us have noticed that going to certain stories on the Strib website today brings up a malware warning on our browsers. I think they have had this problem in the past. I noticed it on the internet tax article and others have had similar issues for other parts of the site as well... Even Roman's Blog.

I did a search on Google for "startribune internet tax" and the link to the story has a "This site may harm your computer." warning underneath it. It's pretty apparent that the Strib is not keeping tabs on one or more of their advertisers.
Jupiter
The Bringer of Jollity

Postby Chris Eckes » Fri 4/13/12 10:39 am

rowshkex wrote:Not a huge fan of Gordon's replacement after listening to him on the way to work. His voice is fine, and he does reasonably well, but it just isn't very distinct.

I will would have preferred Atteberry, but maybe he's not a huge play-by-play guy...

I'll give the new guy some time.

I heard the new guy for the first time yesterday... LOVED him. I loved that he talked about the game as opposed to getting distracted talking about Mankato Harley Davidson with "dazzle", I loved that "dazzle" was basically limited to color commentary as opposed to inane stories that made you miss parts of the game.

I can't tell you how often Gordo would start talking about an at bat and the first pitch he announces is in a 2-1 count. I don't think I missed a pitch with Provus. He was professional and did a better job of painting a picture than Gordo ever did, IMO.

Also, I'm happy that Attaberry is in the pre/post game role and not doing pxp. To me he's the Kevin Gorg of baseball announcers - trying to fit in too many cliche catch-phrases. Just call the action. Provus does that. He's won me over.
Formerly known as The X Factor
Gopher Hockey: Minnesota's Pride on Ice
National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Pride on Ice Blog: http://prideoniceblog.blogspot.com (click on the ads!)
Founding Member of the :ahhh: Fan Club - Est. 9/15/2010
2010 GPL Fantasy Baseball Champion
Chris Eckes
Golden

Postby dailyfbo » Fri 4/13/12 11:29 am

Jupiter wrote:StarTribune.com and Malware....

A few of us have noticed that going to certain stories on the Strib website today brings up a malware warning on our browsers. I think they have had this problem in the past. I noticed it on the internet tax article and others have had similar issues for other parts of the site as well... Even Roman's Blog.

I did a search on Google for "startribune internet tax" and the link to the story has a "This site may harm your computer." warning underneath it. It's pretty apparent that the Strib is not keeping tabs on one or more of their advertisers.

It's not just individual stories. I tried to get to their main prep sports page and got a warning.
dailyfbo
Golden

Postby HockeyBum » Fri 4/13/12 12:41 pm

I really liked John Gordon, but I like listening to the new guy (Provus) too. He's fantastic.

I remember when LaPanta took over for Mazzacco, some of us were saying that people didn't like LaPanta only because he was new and people don't like change. Nope. LaPanta sucked then, and he still sucks now. I'm willing to accept a new guy. Just don't suck at your job.
HockeyBum
Golden

Postby Jupiter » Fri 4/13/12 12:49 pm

HockeyBum wrote:I really liked John Gordon, but I like listening to the new guy (Provus) too. He's fantastic.

I remember when LaPanta took over for Mazzacco, some of us were saying that people didn't like LaPanta only because he was new and people don't like change. Nope. LaPanta sucked then, and he still sucks now. I'm willing to accept a new guy. Just don't suck at your job.

:goodpost:
Jupiter
The Bringer of Jollity

Postby h8red » Fri 4/13/12 12:57 pm

ddaylisa wrote:H8red, maybe you should see who is an addict around you. Glen Sonmor is an addict. St. Paul newspaper had a nice article on him a few years back. Addicts ( I am one) have a diease and maybe read about it before you hate on us.

The reason I have no sympathy for addicts is because I have had very personal experiences (some pretty bad) with a number of them.
It doesn't mean they can't be productive, very caring, good people once they get a handle on their issue. I mean no offense or disrespect, just stating my feelings just as you are.
h8red
Super Vet

Postby h8red » Fri 4/13/12 1:00 pm

The X Factor wrote:
rowshkex wrote:Not a huge fan of Gordon's replacement after listening to him on the way to work. His voice is fine, and he does reasonably well, but it just isn't very distinct.

I will would have preferred Atteberry, but maybe he's not a huge play-by-play guy...

I heard the new guy for the first time yesterday... LOVED him. I loved that he talked about the game as opposed to getting distracted talking about Mankato Harley Davidson with "dazzle", I loved that "dazzle" was basically limited to color commentary as opposed to inane stories that made you miss parts of the game.

I can't tell you how often Gordo would start talking about an at bat and the first pitch he announces is in a 2-1 count. I don't think I missed a pitch with Provus. He was professional and did a better job of painting a picture than Gordo ever did, IMO.

I like Gladden but he has seemed a little distracted the last couple games. He has made a huge number of mistakes...stating the wrong name in regards to a player, # of outs, etc.... What's going on with him? Any ideas?

Also, I'm happy that Attaberry is in the pre/post game role and not doing pxp. To me he's the Kevin Gorg of baseball announcers - trying to fit in too many cliche catch-phrases. Just call the action. Provus does that. He's won me over.
h8red
Super Vet

Postby h8red » Fri 4/13/12 1:23 pm

h8red wrote:
The X Factor wrote:

Gladden has been pretty bad lately. Lots of mistakes with confusing names, # of outs, etc...He seems really distracted. I generally like him & I think he is a good addition to the broadcast...mostly
h8red
Super Vet

Postby rowshkex » Fri 4/13/12 3:08 pm

I listened to a few more innings of the new guy, and he was actually pretty decent. A few thoughts:

1) I am wary because he's not a hometown guy. As long as he has an EDGE of homerism, I'll be fine. If I want to listen to absolutely objective play-by-play, I'll Gamecast it--more states anyway.

2) I can't believe he's only 33...
is rice chex.
is not Raphael.
is not quite Rau.
is not a hockey mind.
is a 1 time GPL Pick 'Em Weekly Non-Winner Tiebreaker Champion.
GPL's Resident Popcorn Popper :popcorn:
rowshkex
Lifer

Postby Beauner » Sun 4/15/12 6:09 am

Douchebag Dark Starr was talking about Tubby this morning on Sludge's Lupus fundraiser because some caller wanted to rip Tubby (and paid 25 dollars to do it on air :lol: ) and Dark said that the Gophers have "2 coaches who have won national championships with a different coach's players. Tubby Smith did it wit Rick Pitino's players and Don Lucia did it with Doug Woog's players."

I wanted to drive to the station and give him some sweet chin music Shawn Michaels style.

I should have called in to argue with him but I didn't have my card with me to make a donation to put that tool in his place. Why does KFAN continue to let his dumbassery on the radio? It isn't like he's a weekly time slot.

And before somebody says "Well why didn't you just change the station to not listen to him?" it was 5am. That's why. There is literally nothing on at 5am on the radio except like Dawson McCallister (snooze fest).

Ooh, and he ripped Lucia for not disclosing his illness last year because "everybody in the know" knows he had Bells Palsy and he could have become a good spokesman/role model for people with Bells Palsy. :chainsaw: :chainsaw: Parise I hate Dark Starr.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"
Beauner
Golden

Postby sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 » Sun 4/15/12 4:00 pm

dark star is a :censored:
sec 16 row16 seat 16 17
Golden

Postby h8red » Tue 4/17/12 7:09 am

sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 wrote:dark star is a :censored:

He's the most interesting...no wait...he's one of the biggest posers in history. He talks a big game, tries to be smooth but we at GPL see right through it. Now Sid on the other hand is the real deal :roll:
h8red
Super Vet

Postby Greyeagle » Tue 4/17/12 10:11 am

Dark Star would be far more interesting if he were a mute.
Piss on you, I'm working for {Jupiter!} Mel Brooks!

"They'll come to Iowa City. They'll think it's really boring."
Greyeagle
Golden

Postby sunbone » Tue 4/17/12 10:23 am

I watched a couple of minutes of that Sports show with the three fossils and Marble Mouth Max the other day. Is it just me or is Dark Star starting to look more and more like a lighter haired version of Moe Howard?
sunbone
Golden

Postby hockeyman » Tue 4/17/12 10:32 am

Dark Star is a clown. He tries to come off as a sports guru, but continually makes an ass out of himself. I am waiting for the day when he ticks Sid off and Sid punches him in the face! I wish the Sports Show would get rid of Dark Star & get someone with some real sports knowledge on the show! Maybe have a guest each week to replace the idiot!!
hockeyman

Postby rowshkex » Tue 4/17/12 10:51 am

I can't listen to any of those older guys, especially Sid...

"Yeah, the team plays Iowa next week... I don't think they'll win. They don't have enough talent... They play Wisconsin the week after that. They might win. They might have enough talent."

That Provus fellow is starting to grow on me, however!
is rice chex.
is not Raphael.
is not quite Rau.
is not a hockey mind.
rowshkex
Lifer

Postby Slap Shot » Tue 4/17/12 4:10 pm

Common Man's only redeeming value is making fun of Sid.
Slap Shot
Golden

Postby Norm » Tue 4/17/12 4:40 pm

Slap Shot wrote:Common Man's only redeeming value is making fun of Sid.

Can't forgive Common for his remarks about the 2002 title game. "It's college hockey, nobody cares."
Norm
Golden

Postby Zwak » Tue 4/17/12 5:27 pm

Jim Kaat is on Reusse & Mackey every Tuesday from 12:35 - 1:00-ish. He's one of my favorite baseball guys.

P.s. yeah...I know...Reusse sucks. Blah blah blah
GPL's official source of trivia.
Zwak
Golden

Postby sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 » Tue 4/17/12 5:38 pm

KAAT how many gold gloves did he win.
sec 16 row16 seat 16 17
Golden

Postby Dolphin275 » Tue 4/17/12 5:53 pm

Zwak wrote:Jim Kaat is on Reusse & Mackey every Tuesday from 12:35 - 1:00-ish. He's one of my favorite baseball guys.

I enjoy when Jim Kaat is on.
Did you listen to today's show with him on, talking about the time he was left high and dry in Cleveland?
Pretty funny...
Dolphin275
Golden

Postby Zwak » Tue 4/17/12 6:15 pm

Dolphin275 wrote:
Zwak wrote:Jim Kaat is on Reusse & Mackey every Tuesday from 12:35 - 1:00-ish. He's one of my favorite baseball guys.

I enjoy when Jim Kaat is on.
Did you listen to today's show with him on, talking about the time he was left high and dry in Cleveland?
Pretty funny...

I did. That was classic. Doubt that would happen today.
Zwak
Golden

Postby Zwak » Fri 4/20/12 2:19 pm

In case you haven't heard, on Tuesday Jim Souhan wrote the following column about the stadium debate.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 56875.html

Turns out the politician he was mocking actually voted FOR the stadium. That politician wrote the following editorial in rebuttal in today's paper.

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/comm ... 80475.html

I don't want to start another stadium debate, but I have to agree with the rebuttal. I don't think Souhan knew that this guy actually voted yes for the stadium.

While I don't always agree with Souhan, I do like listening to/reading him. That said. IMO he needs to answer his critics about this issue as he would likely be taking others to task if they had done something similar.
Zwak
Golden

Postby Jupiter » Fri 4/20/12 4:07 pm

Dan Terhaar not renewed as play-by-play guy for the Wild.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs ... Rants.html
Jupiter
The Bringer of Jollity

Postby greydogg » Fri 4/20/12 4:22 pm

Jupiter wrote:Dan Terhaar not renewed as play-by-play guy for the Wild.

I was hoping I would see Greenlay's name here too.
Married a Whoiux Fan........
greydogg
Golden

Postby Bash Brother » Fri 4/20/12 4:47 pm

I couldn't be happier to see the Wild rid themselves of that ass-clown
Bash Brother
Super Vet

Postby Greyeagle » Fri 4/20/12 4:55 pm

THANK YOU!!

Greyeagle
Golden

Postby Jupiter » Fri 4/20/12 4:57 pm

Seeing that I don't watch the Wild all that often, I am hoping that LaPanta gets promoted to the Wild so I don't have to listen to him "calling" Gopher Hockey.
Jupiter
The Bringer of Jollity

Postby sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 » Fri 4/20/12 5:06 pm

if lapanta goes to the wild will frank be back.
sec 16 row16 seat 16 17
Golden

Postby h8red » Fri 4/20/12 5:18 pm

Jupiter wrote:Seeing that I don't watch the Wild all that often, I am hoping that LaPanta gets promoted to the Wild so I don't have to listen to him "calling" Gopher Hockey.

If LaPanta goes to the wild, that means when the Vikes leave town PA will join up with LaPanta to call Wild games(whisper...I think he has a man crush on LaPanta- he keeps talking about how much he likes his hair!)
h8red
Super Vet

Postby Handyman » Fri 4/20/12 5:32 pm

Greyeagle wrote:

THANK YOU!!

So wait, is the Terharr curse in effect now/ Will the Wild win the Stanley Cup :biggrin2: :lol:
If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

My name is not Dan...I am however a prick!

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014
Handyman
Needs help

Postby Idontknow » Fri 4/20/12 5:50 pm

Zwak wrote:In case you haven't heard, on Tuesday Jim Souhan wrote the following column about the stadium debate.

Turns out the politician he was mocking actually voted FOR the stadium. That politician wrote the following editorial in rebuttal in today's paper.

From the rebuttal:
The sad truth is that Souhan ended up with a column based on a false premise and filled with ignorance and distortion.

Couldn't you say that just about every Souhan piece?
Last edited by Idontknow on Fri 4/20/12 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idontknow
Golden

Postby Kelor » Fri 4/20/12 5:53 pm

Idontknow wrote:Couldn't you say that just about every Souhan piece?

http://bit.ly/HWfuOU
Kelor
Golden

Postby g_manpucker » Fri 4/20/12 6:24 pm

Jupiter wrote:Seeing that I don't watch the Wild all that often, I am hoping that LaPanta gets promoted to the Wild so I don't have to listen to him "calling" Gopher Hockey.

From your keyboard to God's ears!!! We can only hope that LaPanta gets promoted to this and then maybe someone worthy can be in the booth for the Gopher games. I know there are so many people on here that could give two craps either way whether LaPanta is in the booth or not but I have never cared for the guy whether he is in the studio but I hate it when he is calling Gopher games.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL
g_manpucker
Golden

Postby Bash Brother » Fri 4/20/12 6:51 pm

Matvick
Bash Brother
Super Vet

Postby Idontknow » Fri 4/20/12 7:24 pm

The Mole wrote:Matvick

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I wouldn't mind having Matvick or Terhaar do the Gopher TV broadcasts. Anything at this point would be better than LaPanta.
Idontknow
Golden

Postby Bash Brother » Fri 4/20/12 7:55 pm

I don't want Terhaar, but I would very much like Matvick on the Gophers.
Bash Brother
Super Vet

Postby Iceburg » Fri 4/20/12 8:05 pm

Retired Thread Police
Iceburg
Golden

Postby dxmnkd316 » Fri 4/20/12 8:41 pm

Randy Moller
The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back -H.Brooks

st8ofhockey: Is that a photocollage of a dick? Oh wait, that's Patrick Stewart

psych: haha, damnit dx, your phone is drunk again
dxmnkd316: f*** you, I can't stop any time I want
dxmnkd316: err wait

I don't think I'm always right. I just find it hard to operate on the opposite assumption.
Disclaimer: 95% of the things I post are jokes, sarcasm, or hyperbole. Thanks in advance for not taking things so literally
dxmnkd316
Captain Kickball

Postby Greyeagle » Fri 4/20/12 8:50 pm

Iceburg wrote:Image

Can I get an Amen? :good2:

Greyeagle
Golden

Postby The Rube » Fri 4/20/12 10:03 pm

Zwak wrote:In case you haven't heard, on Tuesday Jim Souhan wrote the following column about the stadium debate.

I don't want to start another stadium debate, but I have to agree with the rebuttal. I don't think Souhan knew that this guy actually voted yes for the stadium.

While I don't always agree with Souhan, I do like listening to/reading him. That said. IMO he needs to answer his critics about this issue as he would likely be taking others to task if they had done something similar.

I saw that. And then I read his NHL piece today, which was pretty much ignorant, too. He condemned all the head shots (fine) but if you don't know any better, you wouldn't think the NHL was doing anything about it, and in fact ENCOURAGING the head shots. Yeah, Souie, never mind they suspended Raffi Torres until a hearing to see how long he'll be suspended for.
Also known as Brenthoven on USCHO.
The Rube
Golden

Postby ex_goldy » Fri 4/20/12 10:08 pm

I don't listen to common man often but this Wednesday he was going through the Vikings stadium debacle and he replayed some big Minnesota sports moments, kind of hyping up the stadium like we need to retain our winning sports and at the end he replayed the holy cross OT victory over the gophers. I wasn't really paying attention until then. Is his assistant, sludge or cluge or whoever it is, a N Dak fan? They like to be the anti fan on that station, there's something smug about degrading local sports teams. Anyone listen to his show? Does he pull that out very often?
ex_goldy
Golden

Postby Always Lurking » Fri 4/20/12 10:53 pm

The Mole wrote:I don't want Terhaar, but I would very much like Matvick on the Gophers.

A) Matvick left FSN because he didn't/couldn't wait in the wings like lapanta did
B) Matvick is as much anti-Gopher as lapanta is. I believe he longs for Husky Women SCSU-style very much (if I'm wrong I know someone here will correct me)
C) We shouldn't give the whioux fans the satisfaction knowing that the guy who called the Holy Cross game is now our regular play-by-play guy
D) With B1G hockey starting play, it seems like he'd be perfect for the BTN and could do other sports like field hockey, woman's soccer, and such & such.

That said, I'm in favor of promoting lapanta to anywhere but Gopher Hockey. And he can take Gellner with him.
Always Lurking
:lurk:
Poster formerly known as DHP: Drunk Happy Pat
Always Lurking
Golden

Postby GopherPete » Fri 4/20/12 11:23 pm

I would love for Wally Shaver to call Gopher games on fsn
GopherPete
Rookie

Postby MhdGopher » Fri 4/20/12 11:24 pm

Always Lurking wrote:
The Mole wrote:I don't want Terhaar, but I would very much like Matvick on the Gophers.

A) Matvick left FSN because he didn't/couldn't wait in the wings like lapanta did
B) Matvick is as much anti-Gopher as lapanta is. I believe he longs for Husky Women SCSU-style very much (if I'm wrong I know someone here will correct me)
C) We shouldn't give the whioux fans the satisfaction knowing that the guy who called the Holy Cross game is now our regular play-by-play guy
D) With B1G hockey starting play, it seems like he'd be perfect for the BTN and could do other sports like field hockey, woman's soccer, and such & such.

That said, I'm in favor of promoting lapanta to anywhere but Gopher Hockey. And he can take Gellner with him.

+1 to all of this, especially the Gellner part. Matvick was actually viewed as being more anti Gopher than LaPanta IIRC, and there was actually some logic to that view since he was openly a SCSU guy.
MhdGopher
Veteran

Postby rowshkex » Sat 4/21/12 1:05 am

Souhan should be hired by ESPN--he'd fit in just fine there.
is rice chex.
is not Raphael.
is not quite Rau.
is not a hockey mind.
rowshkex
Lifer

Postby killer4president » Sat 4/21/12 10:18 am

Greyeagle wrote:

AMEN +100
Vaneks a killer....Vaneks a mess!
killer4president
Golden

Postby Amonte_10 » Sat 4/21/12 12:57 pm

Greyeagle wrote:

Amen and bingo!
Amonte_10
Golden

Postby Handyman » Sat 4/21/12 1:27 pm

ex_goldy wrote:I don't listen to common man often but this Wednesday he was going through the Vikings stadium debacle and he replayed some big Minnesota sports moments, kind of hyping up the stadium like we need to retain our winning sports and at the end he replayed the holy cross OT victory over the gophers. I wasn't really paying attention until then. Is his assistant, sludge or cluge or whoever it is, a N Dak fan? They like to be the anti fan on that station, there's something smug about degrading local sports teams. Anyone listen to his show? Does he pull that out very often?

His producer is Brandon Melesky and he is not a NoDak fan. Common does that for 2 reasons; 1) to get a rise out of the Gopher Hockey Fans and 2) because he thinks the reaction by the announcers is ridiculous.

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
Handyman
Needs help

Postby Composer » Sat 4/21/12 1:28 pm

Amonte_10 wrote:
Greyeagle wrote:

Amen and bingo!

The dulcet tones...

Plus, he once said he was a former Trombone player, so that makes him doubly excellent!
De gustibus non est disputandum
Composer
Super Vet

Postby Hammy » Sun 4/22/12 3:07 pm

Matvik? No way in hell. :puke:
My Twitter: Hammy Hockey
Hammy
Needs help

Postby gopher6 » Sun 4/22/12 3:19 pm

GopherPete wrote:I would love for Wally Shaver to call Gopher games on fsn

Remember when the NSTARS had Al Shaver simocast coverage on 1500 and channel 9 in the early 80s :dup: :dup: :dup: :dup:
gopher6
Lifer

Postby sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 » Sun 4/22/12 3:22 pm

the good old days of WALLY and FRANK.
sec 16 row16 seat 16 17
Golden

Postby Zwak » Tue 5/08/12 1:03 pm

Latest radio ratings are out.

Good news for: KS95, KDWB, & Cities 97

Bad news for: KQ, The Current, K-Twin

http://www.minnpost.com/braublog/2012/0 ... io-ratings
Zwak
Golden

Postby Armadillo » Tue 5/08/12 1:55 pm

Zwak wrote:Latest radio ratings are out.

Good news for: KS95, KDWB, & Cities 97

Bad news for: KQ, The Current, K-Twin

http://www.minnpost.com/braublog/2012/0 ... io-ratings

Interesting. What the article fails to mention, and what I'd like to know, is how the numbers look for the Hispanic, transgender, 33-33.5 year old, one-armed, blind, redheaded, excessively flatulent demographic who listen on two tin cans and a piece of string.
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube
Armadillo
Golden

Postby Handyman » Tue 5/08/12 3:54 pm

Armadillo wrote:
Interesting. What the article fails to mention, and what I'd like to know, is how the numbers look for the Hispanic, transgender, 33-33.5 year old, one-armed, blind, redheaded, excessively flatulent demographic who listen on two tin cans and a piece of string.

Can't we just ask you what you listen to? :biggrin2:

Handyman
Needs help

Postby Armadillo » Tue 5/08/12 6:06 pm

Handyman wrote:
Armadillo wrote:

Can't we just ask you what you listen to? :biggrin2:

Ethel Merman.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube
Armadillo
Golden

Postby Jupiter » Fri 5/11/12 10:40 am

It's rumored that the Wild may bring in LaPanta to call the games on FSNorth.... So where does that leave Gopher Hockey if that does happen? Who will they bring in to call the games?

I doubt they would bring back Mazzocco after how they treated him 2 years ago, but who knows.
Jupiter
The Bringer of Jollity

Postby rowshkex » Fri 5/11/12 10:42 am

Jupiter wrote:It's rumored that the Wild may bring in LaPanta to call the games on FSNorth.... So where does that leave Gopher Hockey if that does happen? Who will they bring in to call the games?

I doubt they would bring back Mazzocco after how they treated him 2 years ago, but who knows.

I wonder why they didn't bring back Terhaar... There is no benefit to replacing Terhaar with LaPanta in my mind...
is rice chex.
is not Raphael.
is not quite Rau.
is not a hockey mind.
rowshkex
Lifer

Postby Armadillo » Fri 5/11/12 12:23 pm

Jupiter wrote:It's rumored that the Wild may bring in LaPanta to call the games on FSNorth.... So where does that leave Gopher Hockey if that does happen? Who will they bring in to call the games?

My vote is Cotner/Gorg. Book it!

Armadillo
Golden

Postby Jupiter » Fri 5/11/12 12:23 pm

I just threw up a little bit...
Jupiter
The Bringer of Jollity

Postby Chris83 » Fri 5/11/12 12:47 pm

I'd pick Dave Ryan, who called the 2002 Frozen Four
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
Chris83
Lifer

Postby Tee09 » Fri 5/11/12 12:53 pm

All Gellner, all the time.
Tee09
Golden

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion