Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:The one that gets me is when I point out to my teacher friends that they only work 180 days a year they say, "well yeah but I have to correct papers on my own time". Really? I spend a crapload of time at work doing things I don't get paid for too. You don't hear me whining.
I'd say from personal experience that 90% of teachers teach because they get summers off and fat pensions. The other 10% actually have altruistic motives.
Fat pensions? No. I think I read an article recently that said the average is $1300 per mo.
And, I think they pay into the pensions like I do for 401k. But unlike 401K the union chooses the investment and pays out pensions based on how the investments perform. So I think they pay 6% or so, no more or less and get paid out based on the pool.
If they want more retirement money they can invest in a 403B, which many choose to do. You don't see too many people go into teaching because it is an awesome lifestyle. I think the teachers in my district have been on a pay freeze for 3 or 4 years.